Eckerd
2018-04-20, 02:00 PM
OTTO'S IRRESISTIBLE HEADBANGERS TRIBAL DANCE
7th-level enchantment
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V
Duration: Concentration. up to 5 minutes
Choose one creature that you can see within range. The target begins a vigorous tribal dance jumping straight up and flailing its head for the duration. Creatures that can't be charmed are immune to this spell.
A dancing creature must use all its movement to dance (the creature must stay within 10 feet of its starting position moving in a circular or random pattern) and has disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws and attack rolls. While the target is affected by this spell, other creatures have advantage on attack rolls against it. At the end of each 3rd round affected by the spell the creature must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save the creature gains one level of exhaustion.
As an action, a dancing creature makes a Wisdom saving throw to regain control of itself. On a successful save, the spell ends.

OTTO'S IRRESISTIBLE CONGA LINE DANCE
8th-level enchantment
Casting Time: I action
Range: 30 feet
Duration: Concentration. up to 10 minutes
Choose one creature that you can see within range. The target begins a dance in a direction of your choice. Each creature touched by the target of the initial spell must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save the creature joins the spell and moves to the end of line dancing for the duration. Creatures affected the spell drop any weapons or shields held when joining the line. Each creature in the line has disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws and attack rolls. Creatures that can't be charmed are immune to this spell.
A dancing creature must use all its movement to dance in the direction of your choice. You may use a bonus action to redirect the line leader. While the target is affected by this spell, other creatures have advantage on attack rolls against it. As an action, a dancing creature makes a Wisdom saving throw to regain control of itself. On a successful save, the spell ends. Once the initial target of the spell is removed from the line, the remaining creatures in the line gain advantage on saving throws to end the spell. Additionally, the line can no longer be directed by the caster.

OTTO'S IRRESISTIBLE BALLROOM DANCE
9th-level enchantment
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Duration: Concentration. up to 1 hour
All creatures in a 30 foot radius sphere grabs the creature closes to them and begins a ballroom dance of your choice dropping any weapons or shields held to hold the hands of the paired creature. Any unpaired creature within the sphere will seek the nearest creature to make a pair. Creatures that can't be charmed are immune to this spell.
A dancing creature must use all its movement to dance without leaving the radius of the spell and has disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws and attack rolls. While the target is affected by this spell, other creatures have advantage on attack rolls against it. As an action, a dancing creature makes a Wisdom saving throw to regain control of itself. On a successful save, the spell ends. If a creature is paired with an unaffected partner, it will attempt to grapple the unaffected partner to continue the dance. Once unpaired a creature will seek the nearest creature as a new partner.

Argothair
2018-04-21, 11:11 AM
Love It! Very clever and original; I can see the scenes in my head. The Headbanger Spell is probably only Level 5 or Level 6 at most -- you could make it more powerful or just drop its spell slot.

Foxhound438
2018-04-23, 01:20 PM
Love It! Very clever and original; I can see the scenes in my head. The Headbanger Spell is probably only Level 5 or Level 6 at most -- you could make it more powerful or just drop its spell slot.

it's strictly better than otto's dance, so you would have to drop another effect to justify that

The ballroom dance has one slight issue in the force to grapple clause. I admire the spirit there, but unfortunately you're competing actions against the wisdom save, which means that this becomes abusable with a bag of rats. Cast this on a single target, then have your warlock friend toss rats from his iconic rat bag at the creature so that they're forced to try to grapple the rats. Then you would throw in an area damage spell to get rid of the rat there and repeat endlessly (even an acid splash would suffice). This breaks the spirit of the original spell in that it's a no-save effect that you could normally use an action to attempt to get free, or otherwise if you want you can ignore it and do something else, while in this case you're offered no save for an effectively unlimited duration full incapacitation. You might argue that "it's a 9th level spell so it's fine", but remember that so too is imprisonment, and that requires a save and an expensive component, and doesn't scale with multiple targets and multiple people at the rat bag.

If I were to recommend a fix, it would be that they instead continue to dance as if with a partner, and can do their actions normally, BUT if another creatue enters their reach they have to use their reaction to grapple.

thegreatone5224
2018-04-24, 07:20 AM
When it comes to the ballroom dance, it is worth noting that when you grapple someone their speed is reduced to zero. So if both creatures grapple each other neither can move so no "dancing" occurs.

Eckerd
2018-04-24, 08:54 AM
The clause "If a creature is paired with an unaffected partner, it will attempt to grapple the unaffected partner to continue the dance." is meant to go along with "On a successful save, the spell ends." In essence two people are affected the spell. One person makes the save on their next turn and can act normally. The other does not make their save. The one making the save will then have to pull free from the one who did not make the save, using either athletics or acrobatics.
New creatures added to the area do not become charmed/effected by the spell. And even if a creature does not have a partner they will still continue to dance until they make a Wisdom save. Once a Wisdom save is made the spell does on apply again. This is unlike the conga line that gets transferred to new creatures. Because the conga is infectious and ballroom dancing is not.

I guess this is not a true grapple. I am thinking of it more as casting command, with the command to dance and to grab the hands of anyone close to you. So, I guess the unaffected person would have advantage on their saves to not be grappled or to break the grapple.