PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice: Warlock goodies

boombrakh
2018-04-20, 02:09 PM
Hi,

I'm quite new to D&D 5e and usually play Pathfinder. But we're starting up a campaign and just had a session creating out characters together in the group. The setting is a custom one, where we're all elves (or in my case, half of an elf). The difference from ordinary character creation was that we're starting at level 2 and we get an extra feat. In my case, i'm playing a Half-Elf Warlock Hexblade (with Pact of the Blade).

Below you'll see my characters statblock and i've left out the free feat as well as one of my invocations because that is where i'm stuck at the moment. I am looking at two possible choices; either go with the "Armor of Shadows" invocation for at-will Mage Armor OR get the "Medium Armor Master" feat (for that +1 AC and to be able to use my Dexterity and Stealth to the fullest). If I don't take the feat, then i'll pick up "Elven Accuracy" instead to get my Charisma to 18 and probably some other invocation. But there is something appealing, roleplaying-wise, with going for "Mage Armor" and if I pick "Elven Accuracy", I get that extra +1 to hit and on damage.

Caeda Tiora
Male Half-Elf Warlock 2
Medium humanoid, chaotic neutral
--------------------
Armor Class 19 (scale mail, shield)
Hit Points 14 (2d8+2)
Speed 30 ft.
--------------------
STR 12 (+1), DEX 16 (+3), CON 12 (+1), INT 10 (+0), WIS 8 (-1), CHA 17 (+3)
--------------------
Saving Throws Wis +2, Cha +6
Skills Athletics +3, Deception +5, Intimidation +5, Investigation +2, Perception +1, Persuasion +5, Stealth +5 (Disadvantage from armor worn), Survival +1
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 11
Languages Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, Thieves' Cant

Actions
--------------------

Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8+3 slashing damage or 1d10+3 slashing damage if used with two hands to make a melee attack.

Shortsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6+3 piercing damage.

Equipment Longsword, scale mail, shield, Shortsword, Shortsword, backpack, cloak of protection, component pouch, crowbar, hammer, jeweler's tools, piton (10), potion of fire resistance, rope, silk (50 feet), spell scroll of identify, tinderbox, waterskin, 164 gp, 5 cp

Please help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You are my only hope!

EDIT: Added pact and patron for clarity

CTurbo
2018-04-20, 02:16 PM
What Pact and Patron?

Looks like Haxblade but I just want to make sure

boombrakh
2018-04-20, 02:22 PM
What Pact and Patron?

Looks like Haxblade but I just want to make sure
Yeah, sorry. Added it above now. It is indeed a Hexblade and with the Pact of the Blade feature.

pdegan2814
2018-04-20, 02:33 PM
You aren't eligible for Medium Armor Master. In order to take it, you have to be proficient with Medium Armor. Warlocks aren't by default, neither are Half-Elves. Which means you aren't proficient in the scale mail & shield in your equipment list, same with the longsword I believe. So you wouldn't be adding your proficiency to your longsword attacks(you're better with Dex/Finesse weapons anyway so your Short Sword will likely be more effective even with the lower damage die), and you can't cast spells when wearing armor you aren't proficient in. You may want to revisit your equipment choices, unless your DM has hoseruled that those things don't matter(which kinda undercuts a significant part of the game's balancing mechanics). As for your free feat selection, my choice would probably be Resilient(Con) to boost your Constituion saves. It will help you maintain Concentration on your spells, and failing a Con save SUCKS(poison, petrification, lots of necrotic/undead stuff, AoE cold damage, etc). Then at Level 4 I would boost your Con and Cha by 1 each to even them out.

If you want Medium Armor proficiency, the simplest way for your character to do it would probably be to take a level in a class that grants it. The easiest would be Fighter. You'd get Medium Armor & Shield proficiency, a Fighting Style(unless you're going to go Blade Pact I'd suggest Defense) and Second Wind for a little emergency healing. Plus, taking a Fighter level is pretty easy to justify RP-wise if that's an issue("Hey now that I'm an adventurer, maybe I should learn how to be a little less squishy!")

pdegan2814
2018-04-20, 02:34 PM
Yeah, sorry. Added it above now. It is indeed a Hexblade and with the Pact of the Blade feature.

Ah okay, then you DO have Medium Armor proficiency. My Resilient(Con) recommendation still stands, though. Proficiency in both Wisdom and Constitution saves can do wonders for your survivability.

boombrakh
2018-04-20, 02:40 PM
My Resilient(Con) recommendation still stands, though. Proficiency in both Wisdom and Constitution saves can do wonders for your survivability.
Assuming I went with "Elven Accuracy" Is it worth giving up getting to 18 CHA (and with it, +1 to hit and +1 to damage) for that +1 CON and proficiency in Con saves?

rbstr
2018-04-20, 02:44 PM
Mage Armor is pretty much a waste on a Hexblade since you have have medium armor proficiency and don't really want to take dex any higher than you have to. I guess if you plan on being out of your armor a lot it might be helpful.
It's a good pick for other patrons or if you want to be sneaky. (IMO if you want to be particularly sneaky the Fey patron is more interesting)

Medium Armor master isn't a bad choice. But it's also a bit inefficient since 17 dex really doesn't help you. Can you start at 15 dex and bump up that Wisdom score to 10 or Con to 14? Even with proficiency I don't like seeing a -1 in the Wisdom score. Plus
Elven Accuracy is pretty dang good, especially since you can bump your charisma to 18 up with it. That's assuming you have a build where you'll get pretty consistent advantage on the attack rolls, though.

Your Con score is low so the Warcaster or Resilient: Constitution feats look really enticing.

Lord8Ball
2018-04-20, 02:45 PM
Use your free feat to take mage initiate in sorcerer for mage armor and two cantrips of your choice. This will free up an invocation slot for you to use. I don't have the books with me atm, but picking up eldritch smite and some other invocation that you want. I'd recommend the false life at will invocation at low levels for a tad bit more survivability.

CTurbo
2018-04-20, 02:49 PM
The Medium Armor Master feat is normally not a very good option but for you it's actually ok. Without it, you can have an AC of 18 with Breastplate + shield or Mage Armor + shield, but with it you can have an AC of 20 with Halfplate + shield. Not bad if you want to be tougher than normal. I would definitely start with at least a 14 in Con. No need to start with a 17 in Cha. Put it at 16 and get Con to 14.

You're obviously going to want Agonizing Blast to go along with Eldritch Blast. Repelling Blast is good too if you want to add some control. Grasp of Hader does the opposite and would probably be better for you.

Lifedrinker and Thirsting Blade are mandatory. Eldritch Smite, Improved Pact Weapon, Maddening Hex, and Relentless Hex are all great too.

Alert, Lucky, Sentinel, and Inspiring Leader are all great, but you may end up NEEDING Warcaster.

Edit: Ah I see why you were putting a 17 in Cha. I forget Eleven Accuracy adds +1 to Cha. That's not a bad choice then, but I'd only go this route if I had a reliable way to get advantage. If not, it's not going to come up very often. You NEED more Con. Res(Con) is a good way to eek out more stats and with the free feat, you could probably even manage a 16 Con with the +1 from Res.

boombrakh
2018-04-20, 02:53 PM
Mage Armor is pretty much a waste on a Hexblade since you have have medium armor proficiency and don't really want to take dex any higher than you have to. I guess if you plan on being out of your armor a lot it might be helpful.
The reason I am looking at "Mage Armor" as an at-will ability is because there is something appealing about manifesting armor and weapon (as per Pact of the Blade) out of thin air. And the character is a bit of a roguish suave fella as well, trying to put people off guard and not seem like a threat.

Medium Armor master isn't a bad choice. But it's also a bit inefficient since 17 dex really doesn't help you. Can you start at 15 dex and bump up that Wisdom score to 10 or Con to 14?
"Medium Armor Master" doesn't give a bonus to ability score. It enables you to have a max dex bonus on medium armor up to +3 instead of +2 and it removes the disadvantage on stealth from medium armor.

Elven Accuracy is pretty dang good, especially since you can bump your charisma to 18 up with it. That's assuming you have a build where you'll get pretty consistent advantage on the attack rolls, though.
I'm not proficient in 5e enough to make that kind of build. I don't have a firm enough grasp on the rules as well as character building yet. I just saw that from the feats that increased my Charisma, that was one of the top ones I could find.

Your Con score is low so the Warcaster or Resilient: Constitution feats look really enticing.
So i've noticed. If I don't end up taking the "Medium Armor Master" feat, there is no point in having Dexterity at 16, I could just as easily drop it to 14 and have points over to increase Constitution.

Garfunion
2018-04-20, 03:14 PM
Take the mage armor invocation if you like to role-play aspect of it. I would also take the mobility feat. Allowing you to jump in and out of melee combat which may help protect you.

JeffreyGator
2018-04-20, 03:15 PM
Hi,

Actions
--------------------

Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8+3 slashing damage or 1d10+3 slashing damage if used with two hands to make a melee attack.

Shortsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6+3 piercing damage.

Equipment Longsword, scale mail, shield, Shortsword, Shortsword

You seem to have an intent toward dual-weapon fighting potentially implied here - or maybe you just like extra weapons? You should know that bladelocks are not good platforms for that since they don't get to make extra weapons out of the air and they also lack the dual wield ability to get stat to damage on the bonus attack.

For your invocation @ 2nd, this will almost certainly be swapped at third for the ability to pull a +1 weapon including a long bow out of the air at level 3.

At level 5 with the two attacks/round invocation, that +1 longbow is as good or better than agonizing eldritch blast with longer range. (Both are equally affected by hexes)

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-04-20, 03:21 PM
One reasonably easy way to generate advantage on attacks is the devil's sight invocation plus darkness.

strangebloke
2018-04-20, 03:31 PM
Elven accuracy.

It gives you +1 to your attacks, save DCs, the whole works, it boosts your hit chance when you have advantage (which you should be able to get, as a warlock) and you will be able to crit on 38% of your weapon attacks when your curse is up and you have advantage.

Invocation-wise, mage armor isn't great, but you seem to understand that and want it anyway. That's fine, it's just not your best option.

Agonizing blast is awesome if you don't have it already.

Devil's sight+ darkness is advantage and a bag of chips, and can be replaced by shadow of moil at higher levels. Cast it centered on yourself and run wherever you please.

CTurbo
2018-04-20, 03:34 PM
With Res(Con) as your free feat, you can actually start 10 Str, 16 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 10 Wis, and 16 Cha.

I would consider Medium Armor Master at a later time after your Cha is maxed if you think the extra AC is needed. You'd likely already have magic armor and an AC of 19 by then anyway. Like I said above, Mage Armor + shield is a very respectable 18 AC by itself and the flavor is great so if you want to go that route, do it. The only thing here is you may find yourself wanting to bump Dex later to improve it, and some +1 Breastplate is better too.

I'd take Agonizing Blast and Armor of Shadows to start. Thirsting Blade at 5, and then Improved Pact Weapon, Eldritch Smite, Maddening Hex, Relentless Hex, and of course, Lifedrinker

Vogie
2018-04-20, 03:35 PM
If you want to dual wield with only summoned weapons, note you can also manifest a second blade using Shadow Blade starting at level 5

If UA is available to you, look at Blade Mastery feat (UA 6/6/2016) which allows you to increase your AC as a Bonus action, and gives advantage on opportunity attacks.

Make sure you get Improved Pact weapon invocation from XGtE so you can cast while holding weapon(s).

You may want to pick up Magic Initiate to give you an extra casting of Shield or Absorb elements without using your Warlock Spell Slots

rbstr
2018-04-20, 03:48 PM
The reason I am looking at "Mage Armor" as an at-will ability is because there is something appealing about manifesting armor and weapon (as per Pact of the Blade) out of thin air. And the character is a bit of a roguish suave fella as well, trying to put people off guard and not seem like a threat.
It's really good on a dex-based bladelock build. If you want it for sneaky stuff maybe do Mask of Many Faces for Disguise Self at-will...you could look like you have no armor on...and many other things!

"Medium Armor Master" doesn't give a bonus to ability score. It enables you to have a max dex bonus on medium armor up to +3 instead of +2 and it removes the disadvantage on stealth from medium armor.
Yeah woops got confused with moderately armored.

I'm not proficient in 5e enough to make that kind of build. I don't have a firm enough grasp on the rules as well as character building yet. I just saw that from the feats that increased my Charisma, that was one of the top ones I could find.
Well it's nice in giving +1 cha and then a situational benefit, sure. But it really shines when you can have advantage a lot. One common Warlock Combo is to cast Darkness and use the Devil's Sight invocation - you'll have advantage against people that can't see you. Shadow of Moil will also give lots of advantage.

boombrakh
2018-04-22, 05:15 AM
Ok, after a lot of back and forth, here is where i've ended up (I've levelled the character to 3 to show where i'm going with it)

Caeda Tiora
Male Half-Elf Warlock 3
Medium humanoid, chaotic neutral
--------------------
Armor Class 17 (scale mail)
Hit Points 24 (3d8+6)
Speed 30 ft.
--------------------
STR 10 (+0), DEX 14 (+2), CON 15 (+2), INT 8 (-1), WIS 12 (+1), CHA 18 (+4)
--------------------

Feats Elven Accuracy (+1 Charisma)
Invocations Beguiling Influence, Improved Pact Weapon
Saving Throws Wis +4, Cha +7
Skills Acrobatics +4, Deception +6, Insight +3, Intimidation +6, Investigation +1, Perception +3, Persuasion +6, Stealth +4 (Disadvantage from armor worn)
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages Common, Elvish, Thieves' Cant

Actions
--------------------

Glaive. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d10+5 slashing damage.

Relevant equipment scale mail, cloak of protection

What comes next?
After some thought and listening to your advice, I am going to invest in the Feat "Resilient" at level 4 and increase my Constitution to 16 as well as get proficiency in Con saves. After that, it's smooth sailing up until level 8 where I take "Polearm Master" that will give me an extra attack using my bonus action with the end of the Glaive. I will also take the Invocation "Thirsting Blade" at level 5. Unless I am mistaken, that will let me do three attacks at level 8 (2x 1d10+5 and 1x 1d4+5)

rbstr
2018-04-23, 10:19 AM
Yeah that basically shakes out.

strangebloke
2018-04-23, 11:03 AM
Looks good to me, although I'd consider going GWM over PAM. Either way, this character will be perfectly fine. Not taking Agonizing Blast is a bold choice, but TBH you'll be fine.

boombrakh
2018-04-24, 01:49 AM
Looks good to me, although I'd consider going GWM over PAM. Either way, this character will be perfectly fine.
I was looking at it, but figured that the -5 to hit at that level would be too harsh and getting another attack in there could be really good. I will probably take GWM later though. I've been playing with the idea of going over to Fighter at some point too.

Not taking Agonizing Blast is a bold choice, but TBH you'll be fine.
Yeah, it is really good, but eldritch blasts isn't really the characters "schtick". It is there, to be available if need be, but mostly, since it's an elven campaign, we're going deep in the typical elven aesthetic :)