PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Monk Fighter Barbarian aka AoO-Tripping-Machine

Ginrök
2018-04-20, 03:26 PM
Hello everyone,

I searched several forums about a multiclass AoO-Tripping-machine. I didn’t find a satisfying answer. So, I build my own. It is an example. Surely, if the campaign is running, I have to adopt the Char. Nevertheless, I would appreciate feedback and new ideas, suggestions, alternative feats for unexpected campaign development…. Criticize me to death!

Basic Idea:
We will start a new 3.5 campaign. There are several restrictions. Because we will play in a low-magic, western Europe medieval world, every strong magic class is forbidden for us (but NPC can be bards and the other less funny casters). Therefore, skills will be more important.
I decided to play a Human AoO-Tripping-Machine using a Guisarme (never played one before, so it’s new for me). I want to Spot Enemies early (Spot), won’t be fainted (Sense Motive), want to have the Option to deny AoO (Tumble), ignore some sorts of difficult terrain (Jump).
There will be an Archer, some sort of a Buffer (forgot the class, but something with a Healing and other Auras), a rouge and the one guy who did not know what to play and myself.

Character background:
Raised in a Gnome-monastery (he was exposed) I learned the basics of being a Monk. The other Trainees were better than I, they hit me often (because of my low Wis). But I was taller than the other Monks and recognized that tripping is easy (no AoO because of Improved unarmored strike). The masonry was located in the steppe and I frequently watched the Hyenas tripping their pray. The smith at the monastery, a Dwarf, told me about the outer world, dwarfen cities and so on.
I realizing I will never be a good Monk and decided to make my own journey.

Books and Rules:
DMG1 & 2, PHB1 &2, Complete Adventurer, Arcane, Champion, Divine, Mage, Scoundrel, Warrior.
The DM will also allow Weapons, Armors and non-magical Equipment from Races of the Stone and RotWild.
The MIC, Rules Compendium and Spell Compendium will be used as Errata for Feats, Spells, Weapon-Enchantments and so on (the official Errata for the books as well).
Prestige classes allowed, but as normal we have to talk with the DM.
Retraining (PHB2) is allowed. Example: I could learn another feat instead of Mobility at Lvl1, retrain this feat at Lvl9 to have Mobility as perquisite for Elusive Target. But I really don’t want to overuse it.

Attributes (72 Points after Race adjustment (70 for Half-Orcs, one can be lower than 6, max 18 (or 20 after Race Adjustment)):
Str 16 (I smash the potatoes)
Dex 16 (I throw the potatoes)
Con 16 (I eat scruffy potatoes)
Int 14 (I know a tomato is a fruit)
Wis 6 (and therefore tomatoes are a relevant part of a fruit salad)
Cha 4 (but nobody wants to by my delicious fruit salad)*
* not mine, who ever did this simile: Thank you ;)

Class development:

Lvl
Class
ClassLvl
BAB
Fort
Reff
Will
SkillP
Feats and other (Reason, Book, ...)

Monk
Dodge (Monk, Alternative Flurry of…, DM allowed)

Improved Unarmored Strike (Monk)

Improved Grapple (Monk)

Power Attack (Lvl)

Mobility (Human)

Monk
Spell Reflection (Monk, Alternative CM)

Combat Reflexes (Monk)

Fighter
Deft Opportunist (Lvl, CAdv)

Improved Bull Rush (Fighter)

Barbarian
Ferocity (Barbarian, Alternative, WebE Cityscape)

Hyenas-Totem for Improved Trip (Barbarian, CC, “new” Totem DM allowed)

Fighter
Close Quarter Fighting (Fighter, CW)

Barbarian
Uncanny Dodge (Barbarian)

Fighter
-

Fighter
Shock Trooper (Fighter, CW)

Fighter
Elusive Target (Lvl, CW)

Fighter
Improved Sunder (Fighter)

Fighter
-

Fighter
Combat Brute (Fighter, CW)

? I don’t know

Fighter
-

Fighter
Robilar’s Gambit (Fighter, PHB2)

Fighter
? I don’t know

Fighter
Defensive Sweep (Fighter, PHB2)

Fighter
-

Fighter
? I don’t know

? I don’t know

Fighter
-

Fighter
Overpowering Attack (Fighter, PHB2)

Ginrök
2018-04-21, 12:32 AM
of course: Mithral breastplate, Brutal Surge (MIC) Adamantite Guisarme are Must To Haves

EndocrineBandit
2018-04-21, 01:13 AM
Is tome of battle allowed?

Ginrök
2018-04-21, 04:58 PM
Is tome of battle allowed?

No, only the mentioned books. It's ok. I like the way of my DM. Clear rules, clear set up. There is no Way to be a Dungeon Crusher or anything else.

emeraldstreak
2018-04-21, 05:43 PM
No, only the mentioned books. It's ok. I like the way of my DM. Clear rules, clear set up. There is no Way to be a Dungeon Crusher or anything else.

If your party is doing above-average optimization, tripping builds compete with one-shot builds. No need to trip somebody who's already dead.

At that level, what tripping can offer is battlefield control via combat reflexes + reach, as much reach as you can get.

Deadline
2018-04-21, 05:44 PM
Did you happen upon the Horizon Tripper build in your searches? It's a completely Core build that strongly resembles what you are talking about.

Also, Complete Champion and Complete Warrior open up the Ubercharger build, which just one-shots enemies rather than tripping them.