PDA

View Full Version : Any way to make Searing Light gain the [fire] descriptor and deal fire damage?

ATHATH
2018-04-20, 03:57 PM
I made a character with the assumption that Searing Light was a [fire] spell that did fire damage, and have just now realized that it is NOT a fire spell and it deals UNTYPED damage. Is there a way for me to give it the [fire] descriptor (and preferably also make it deal fire damage)?

I do know that I could use Snowcasting and Energy Substitution to make it a [fire] spell, but if I do that, I run into the problem of needing to use a Move action before casting a spell (Searing Light) that takes a full-round action to cast (I'm loading it up with metamagic as a spontaneous caster), making my spellcasting take two turns to complete. Also, I'm not even sure if Energy Substitution will turn the untyped damage into fire damage.

And, before you ask, yes, it HAS to be Searing Light, and my build won't work if I lose ANY caster level progression.

Any ideas from the playground?

flappeercraft
2018-04-20, 04:07 PM
Elven Spell Lore feat would work. The thing is that it does require you to have the spell in question in your spellbook although there is no limitation on writing non wizard spells in spell books, the only limitation is that only Wizards may use them and only of the wizard spell list.

tyckspoon
2018-04-20, 04:16 PM
Elven Spell Lore feat would work. The thing is that it does require you to have the spell in question in your spellbook although there is no limitation on writing non wizard spells in spell books, the only limitation is that only Wizards may use them and only of the wizard spell list.

Seconding this - every other means of changing a spell's energy type that I can recall requires the spell to already have an energy type. You're looking at an Ask Your DM situation in using it for a non-Wizard, however. I don't believe there is any unambiguous rule regarding having a spell book as a non-Wizard and using that to qualify for this kind of thing; it's pretty firmly in the "well, the rules don't say I can't do it" realm.

(Personally, I'd just strike that line from Elven Spell Lore and let you use it for any Spells Known or spells on your list for full-list casters. The flavor and text of the feat does not suggest to me that it needs to be Wizard-only for any reason.)

Also, I'm not even sure if Energy Substitution will turn the untyped damage into fire damage.

It won't, because Snowcasting doesn't change the spell's original typing; it just adds the [Cold] flag for other things that care about that. You'd wind up with a [Fire] Searing Light that still did untyped damage. That would allow you to use it alongside feats and features that key off [Fire], but still not dealing fire-type damage.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-04-20, 04:18 PM
You also need to apply the damage type swap at preparation, so a spontaneous caster won't be able to make it work.

Falontani
2018-04-20, 04:29 PM
may I ask... why Searing Light?

Venger
2018-04-20, 06:58 PM
I made a character with the assumption that Searing Light was a [fire] spell that did fire damage, and have just now realized that it is NOT a fire spell and it deals UNTYPED damage. Is there a way for me to give it the [fire] descriptor (and preferably also make it deal fire damage)?

I do know that I could use Snowcasting and Energy Substitution to make it a [fire] spell, but if I do that, I run into the problem of needing to use a Move action before casting a spell (Searing Light) that takes a full-round action to cast (I'm loading it up with metamagic as a spontaneous caster), making my spellcasting take two turns to complete. Also, I'm not even sure if Energy Substitution will turn the untyped damage into fire damage.

And, before you ask, yes, it HAS to be Searing Light, and my build won't work if I lose ANY caster level progression.

Any ideas from the playground?

You've answered your own question.

Untyped damage is better than fire damage. Why do you want to change it?

Manyasone
2018-04-21, 11:56 AM

Agree with Venger. Why fire of all things...

flappeercraft
2018-04-21, 01:23 PM

Probably something like Fiery spell metamagic and Raging Flame comboed together to deal extra damage.

SirNibbles
2018-04-21, 01:51 PM
It's a weaponlike spell so Dragonfire Inspiration will add fire damage, but it won't add the fire descriptor or change the rest of the damage.

Telonius
2018-04-22, 01:24 AM
Well, you'd be completely at the mercy of the DM to allow it or not, but (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/divineSpells.htm#divineIndependentResearch)...

A divine spellcaster also can research a spell independently, much as an arcane spellcaster can. Only the creator of such a spell can prepare and cast it, unless he decides to share it with others.

Thurbane
2018-04-22, 05:43 PM
Here's a post I recently made on another topic; I'm not sure any of them fit this criteria, through.

Hmm, I was going to suggest Snowcasting + Energy Substitution, but since Snowcasting only adds the cold descriptor as you cast the spell, might be problematic.

The Diabolist PrC can add the Evil descriptor to spells, but that's not much use here.

The Violate Spell, Corrupt Spell and Debilitating Spell feats similarly add the Evil descriptor: again, not much help.

The Consecrate Spell and Purify Spell feats adds the Good descriptor to spells.

The Holy Scourge PrC can also add the Good descriptor to spells.

The Umbral Spell feat adds the Darkness descriptor to spells.

The Archmage ability Mastery of Elements can change the energy descriptor of a spell as it's cast.

The Elemental Savant ability Elemental Speciality similarly changes all energy descriptor spells when cast to match his chosen element.

The Elemental Master PrC similarly can modify spells so they match the elemental descriptor of the attuned dragon.

the Force Missile Mage prC can add various elemental descriptors to Magic Missile spells.