View Full Version : Breaking Time BBG

Aaedimus
2018-04-20, 06:22 PM
I'm trying to build a campaign where the party is working for chromepsis attempting to stop a cult from breaking time in service of a great old one who is the mindless personification of entropy and who exists in a dimension with no time. Whenever it enters time, it starts to rapidly decay (because that's an increase in entropy) and so, its very nature prevents it from existing.

Thematically I've been using decomposition, Fire, acid, and different jellies to represent things it comes in contact with, but am having some pretty serious writers block past there.

Have there been any modules that I could gather inspiration from? Does anyone have any ideas as to things and ideas I could incorporate?

iTreeby
2018-04-20, 07:01 PM
Does the sphere of annihilation count as entropy? Cause it sounds like a good campaign for a sphere of annihilation. Another classic situation is that there is a prophecy that the old God WILL destroy the material plane but is currently trapped outside of time and space. An Inevitable or some other high being of law is relentlessly trying to return the old God as well because it is supposed to happen.

Aaedimus
2018-04-20, 09:47 PM
That's not a bad idea. I was thinking about incorporating the sphere of annihilation.

The entity has been reaching into the material plane through rifts in time and space, and has found that if it can spread faster than it disintegrates (by corrupting living or dead biomatter, and controlling it) it can prolong its time touching the material plane.

It's corrupted 2 of the team, and so although they destroyed what they found, for now they can sense a connection to eachother and to it.

I watched Dr. Strange recently and saw some striking parallels.

Planning more than this broad concept though has been tough.

Aaedimus
2018-04-20, 09:48 PM
They're a group of 7 level 8 players, and I've been altering the sunless citadel to work into the storyline.

You know.... mentioning the inevitables gives me an idea... They started by being chosen by Chronepsis, the true neutral Draconic God of Fate. Maybe.... They think they need to stop it, but in the end, they'll learn that it truly is inevitable, and they're merely in merely a fight to avoid the complete and permanent annihilation of all existence by somehow ensuring something survives or escapes.... not sure how that would work though...

Aaedimus
2018-04-23, 02:17 PM
Anyone else got an Idea?

iTreeby
2018-04-23, 02:38 PM
Well to draw on doctor who, I would suggest that the ultimate conclusion be that the party gives the entity entry to the prime material plane after the end of time or before the beginning of time so that the present is saved and the prophecy is fulfilled. Or the next campaign can be a "new prime" campaign where the universe is being recreated from scratch.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-04-23, 02:48 PM
I'd look at Out of the Abyss. Specifically the bits on Neverlight Grove and the fetid wedding for out-of-body experiences and anything regarding Jubilex, demon prince of oozes.

Aaedimus
2018-04-23, 02:49 PM
How did that work in Dr. Who? That would be a pretty cool win win. The Great Old One isn't evil, just a lovecraftian style entropy terror who can't co-exist with time. This is its first experience with time.