PDA

View Full Version : DM Help New campaign idea about four elemental gems

Protato
2018-04-20, 10:00 PM
The game I ran on Sunday has fallen through more-or-less but I'd like to use some of the ideas I have for it in a different game. In brief, my plan for the first session is that there's an ominous fortress that sends monsters out to attack and has a large magical field around it. This field needs a powerful source of magic to be destroyed and one way to do it is to have gems of Earth, Fire, Water, and Air, just like a classic Final Fantasy title. My first session, I plan to have the party enter a cave to search for someone and it turns out to be a Coatl or Dragon or something similar that presides over the element gems. He tells the party the BBEG resides in the tower and is planning to gain immortality/lichedom/become a dragon/otherwise gain power and take over/destroy the world. From here, the party goes to a desert (Fire), across the sea to an arctic biome (Water), to either a mountain or underground (Earth), and a flying city called Shei Scana. (Air). I use Roll20 with battlemaps and I plan to start my party at either L5 or L10 and give them magic items and other gear as described for starting at higher levels in the DMG. With that in mind, are there any good story hooks for this sort of adventure that forumgoers can think of, or any modules (including homebrew and third party) that might be good for inspiration? Additionally, I've never really had players play out overland travel but it seems important given the diversity of biomes I plan to have players travel to. Other than, for example, rolling for exhaustion in a desert, how might I make the journey feel exciting?