PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Non Spell caster healer/Support 5E

Konun
2018-04-21, 07:03 AM
Hi I am likely need to make a new char soon for my campaign as my group is massively unbalanced we are 100% melee and have 6 melee characters as follows: The campaign is set up in such a way that we all have 1 or 2 characters each so swapping isn't an issue as we have a pool to we can each draw from. The issue is the only other guy with a support like char is the fighter and he is both loving his fighter and is doing a very good job of driving the party forward as well as being an awesome character. we are lv4/5 as we are running XP and we are right at the 5 threshold.

Fighter , Rogue , Barbarian , Ranger , Shadow Monk , Moon druid (my char built to sit as a dire wolf and either tank or cause sentinel procs i dont mind this but i could do the same job better as many things and i find wild shape to be limiting mainly due to uses)

However i do not personaly like any of the support classes Druid , Bard or Cleric and was wondering if any body knew a way of getting a Non spell caster to fill this role. I spent some time playing a warlord in 4th and quite enjoyed it.

Any help would be great.

TIPOT
2018-04-21, 07:05 AM
I've heard good things about Variant human mastermind rogue with the healer feat.

MrStabby
2018-04-21, 07:11 AM
I don't know how strict you are about the non-casting part but conquest paladin is maybe a good fit. (not a caster vs not being primarily a caster.)

Aura at level 6 is pure support but the fear effect on the CD at level 3 is great to stop the party being overwhelmed. Add in protection style or sentinel (possibly with PAM) and you have a good support chassis. Lay on Hands fills the healing role nicely and there are few better support spells than bless, which fortuitously happens to be in the paladin spell list.

Konun
2018-04-21, 07:16 AM
I don't know how strict you are about the non-casting part but conquest paladin is maybe a good fit. (not a caster vs not being primarily a caster.)

Aura at level 6 is pure support but the fear effect on the CD at level 3 is great to stop the party being overwhelmed. Add in protection style or sentinel (possibly with PAM) and you have a good support chassis. Lay on Hands fills the healing role nicely and there are few better support spells than bless, which fortuitously happens to be in the paladin spell list.

I was trying to go 100% Marital . I should look in to paladins further / geting a ranged one to work.

MrStabby
2018-04-21, 07:20 AM
I was trying to go 100% Marital . I should look in to paladins further / geting a ranged one to work.

What's your DM like? It could be possible to fix up a "Spelless Paladin", much like UA built a spelless ranger. Removing the spells, maybe adding in more support mechanics like bardic inspiration (I had a thread on this a while ago I think - some people had some good ideas).

Worst case you can still play a paladin and never cast any spells - just use slots for smiting.

Konun
2018-04-21, 07:24 AM
What's your DM like? It could be possible to fix up a "Spelless Paladin", much like UA built a spelless ranger. Removing the spells, maybe adding in more support mechanics like bardic inspiration (I had a thread on this a while ago I think - some people had some good ideas).

Worst case you can still play a paladin and never cast any spells - just use slots for smiting.

i dont think that the dm would not allow it as he is on the fence about xanathars guide . But Playing a Paladin with limited effects like that could work. just got to find out how to smite with a bow ( which i dont think i can but a pole arm could work )

mgshamster
2018-04-21, 07:55 AM
i dont think that the dm would not allow it as he is on the fence about xanathars guide . But Playing a Paladin with limited effects like that could work. just got to find out how to smite with a bow ( which i dont think i can but a pole arm could work )

You absolutely can smite with a bow. You just have to use the smite spells rather than the smite class feature.

The class feature does more damage, but the spells usually have rider effects. Some of the spells don't specify melee attack, which means that they can be used for any weapon, not just melee weapons.

Here are some examples:
Branding Smite (2nd)
Elemental Weapon (3rd)
Banishing Smite (5th)

In addition, find steed will be useful, as well as various other spells that you can reflavor as skill rather than magic. Such as zone of truth (paladin's form of intimidating the truth out of someone), shield of faith, heroism, etc...

Alternatively, you can save your smites for melee and work as a switch hitter. "You think I need this bow to stop you? You think you've outmatched me by getting in close?! This shall be the last mistake you make."

The only real issue is archery style - you'll need DM permission to get that without multiclassing. But then, if your DM is willing to do that, maybe he's willing to let you just smite with a bow - perhaps with one less dice damage to compensate for the added range?

JackPhoenix
2018-04-21, 07:55 AM
Mastermind rogue/Battlemaster fighter multiclass with Healer and Inspiring Leader feats and good Cha.

Also known as "5e warlord"

Konun
2018-04-21, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the sugestions the warlord idea looks great not sure how well the thp scales. but at least i have three ideas now,

Idea one (Pure Paladin)
a paladin by class only who heals through his faith in justice , coming from humble beginings he allways wanted to grow up and protect people like his farther ( who was a town guard) who after there Town was attacked by bandits travels out in to the world to find the men responcable for ransacking the Town. he would be young and nieve not realy knowing how or why he can do what he can only that his faith in absolute justice is what drives him forward.

this is probably my favourite but given my knolege of the rest of the party probably the least fitting, since we have a pirate , a lizardman barbarian , an assassin monk , and an "upstanding citizen" rogue

Idea 2 ( Battle master fighter 11 / Paladin or Bard ???)
a grizzled old man who inspires his fellow men with tales and helping with tactical knolege gained from repeling and dealing with thugs and bandits.

Idea 3 ( Battle master 11 / Mastermind rogue 9)
one of ( insert bandit clan here) higher ranking members whos arrows signal the end for the enemy. who is in charge of a small ish raiding party.

Citan
2018-04-21, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the sugestions the warlord idea looks great not sure how well the thp scales. but at least i have three ideas now,

Idea one (Pure Paladin)
a paladin by class only who heals through his faith in justice , coming from humble beginings he allways wanted to grow up and protect people like his farther ( who was a town guard) who after there Town was attacked by bandits travels out in to the world to find the men responcable for ransacking the Town. he would be young and nieve not realy knowing how or why he can do what he can only that his faith in absolute justice is what drives him forward.

this is probably my favourite but given my knolege of the rest of the party probably the least fitting, since we have a pirate , a lizardman barbarian , an assassin monk , and an "upstanding citizen" rogue

Idea 2 ( Battle master fighter 11 / Paladin or Bard ???)
a grizzled old man who inspires his fellow men with tales and helping with tactical knolege gained from repeling and dealing with thugs and bandits.

Idea 3 ( Battle master 11 / Mastermind rogue 9)
one of ( insert bandit clan here) higher ranking members whos arrows signal the end for the enemy. who is in charge of a small ish raiding party.
Hi!
I'd actually rather suggest the Thief archetype on a Battlemaster 11 / Thief 7 (finish as you want).
With the Healer feat, the ability to use the kit as a bonus action means you're free to Attack as you would normally. :)

Kuulvheysoon
2018-04-21, 05:27 PM
Mastermind rogue/Battlemaster fighter multiclass with Healer and Inspiring Leader feats and good Cha.

Also known as "5e warlord"

I might also suggest Glamour Bard - one of their abilities lets their allies use their reactions to move around freely, ignoring Opportunity Attacks.

Pex
2018-04-21, 05:36 PM
Healer feat anyone can take for healing needs. If someone is Variant Human it can be taken at 1st level to get it out of the way and not interfere with ASI. Inspiring Leader feat is also good as a sort of preemptive healing. The temporary hit points make a difference. Personal opinion you need at least a 16 CH to be worth taking the feat but mileage varies. Having both in the party, not necessarily the same character, should be good enough. If your party took a beating you're likely short resting afterwards so HD can also be spent for healing, in addition allowing for another use of Inspiring Leader and eligible for another Healer feat use later. If long resting you're good to go in the morning starting with a new Inspiring Leader.

Falcon X
2018-04-21, 05:45 PM
How about you just reflavor the Paladin?
Just put physical explanations to all the spells.

ImproperJustice
2018-04-21, 11:23 PM
It’s only a 1/3 caster, but Alchemist with the Healer feat can do a lot to support a party.
It also becomes increasingly reliant on magic items as you advance in level, but depending on your campaign that may work out fine.

Otherwise, a Thief with Fast Hands can use Healing kits as a bonus action and work as a good combat medic that is very mobile.

Konun
2018-04-22, 02:31 AM
It’s only a 1/3 caster, but Alchemist with the Healer feat can do a lot to support a party.
It also becomes increasingly reliant on magic items as you advance in level, but depending on your campaign that may work out fine.

Otherwise, a Thief with Fast Hands can use Healing kits as a bonus action and work as a good combat medic that is very mobile.

i do like the theif combat medic idea

Asmotherion
2018-04-22, 02:51 AM
Go Vengence Paladin.

They have a lot of tactical play, and heal their allies by touch. Seems like what you're looking for.

opaopajr
2018-04-22, 11:23 AM
If Feats are on: Healer & Inspiring Leader.

If alternate Archetypes are on: PDK/Baronette.

If none but Basic 5e is on: Rogue > Thief with healing gear, like potions of healing. Their Fast Hands helps with action economy in combat.

And you can usually: throw more money at things like potions of healing, or more time at Rests.

Combine the above as necessary.

But with enough damage throughput, Fighter Second Wind, and Barbarian p/b/s resistance through Rage, you shouldn't need too much. :smallwink: