Flint and Steel

Money:
292 GP
3 SP

Decent or not: tell me what you think.

~ Dean

Ikkitosen
2007-09-03, 07:16 AM
Is this 3.0? If not you don't need to choose a weapon for Weapon Finesse - it applies to all applicable weapons.

If you can swap your stats around you should go for something like

Str 10
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 14
Wis 12
Cha 13

You shouldn't take more than 3 swashbuckler level - int to damage is their capstone, at level 3!

If you wanna go fightsy take 2 fighter levels. If not, take 2 rogue levels.

Do you have a PrC in mind or some kind of future plans for this character?

Miraqariftsky
2007-09-03, 07:26 AM
Ikkotisen, maybe he just wants to play it for the fun of it? Stats, schmats, ye ever played a sorcerer with 13 Cha and 17 Str? Oh, and frankly, if ye want a mobile character that packs a punch, go for the monk. Ye don't like martial arts, go rogue--- three levels at least, for the 2d6 sneak attack.

Dean, looks good enough to me... Though, ain't s/he carrying a bit too much for a swashbuckler? I thought them buckleswashers were highly mobile characters of zipping-ho a-derring-do?

goat
2007-09-03, 07:32 AM
If you WERE going rogue, I'd consider putting the 16 in int and taking at least one of the rogue levels first. Those 4 point boosts in a skill can be important.

It looks suspiciously like you're heading towards Dread Pirate territory.

Dean Fellithor
2007-09-03, 08:42 AM
Ikkotisen, maybe he just wants to play it for the fun of it? Stats, schmats, ye ever played a sorcerer with 13 Cha and 17 Str? Oh, and frankly, if ye want a mobile character that packs a punch, go for the monk. Ye don't like martial arts, go rogue--- three levels at least, for the 2d6 sneak attack.

Dean, looks good enough to me... Though, ain't s/he carrying a bit too much for a swashbuckler? I thought them buckleswashers were highly mobile characters of zipping-ho a-derring-do?

yeah but effectively I have to Bags of Holding. :amused:

the Najjar's Cloak of weapons is a Ruffled up Cloak that allows me to store weapons in it as if it was a bag of Holding,my bullets also go in the bag of Holding that I bought. I will be keeping quite a few of my Items in my Wagon so I wont have much of problem.

Items that will be in the wagon:

Chest
Sack
Powder Keg
Bedroll
some of the rope

I'm set for the campaign! and no, my character is not a Dread Pirate: although he has dabbled in a little bit of Piracy, he is just a real Rogue-ish character, a Cassanova to be precise.

Charity
2007-09-03, 09:29 AM
Nexus the OP was asking for feedback I believe.
Mechanical feedback is just as valid as fluff feedbck, possibly more so as very little fluff has been included.

there is no reason why a mechanically inferior character is 'more fun', or 'more worthy' than one whom is actually good at what they do.

You would be a more versatile character with rogue levels and I disagree with the idea that monks are suitable particularly given he appears to be some sort of Errol Flynn style character and a Lawful outlook would not be what I would have envisaged.

Ikkitosen
2007-09-03, 09:41 AM
Ikkotisen, maybe he just wants to play it for the fun of it? Stats, schmats, ye ever played a sorcerer with 13 Cha and 17 Str?

I've played all kinds of wierd and wacky characters over the years, but I didn't go and ask for mechanical feedback about them on a message board!

Dean, your character will "work" just fine as it is - power is all about the level you play with. Will the rest of your group be going for a single class type build or will they take dips and such (or more likely be somewhere in between)?

I don't know much about skillmonkey PrCs (or indeed which books you have available) but Swash 3 / Rogue 2 (Evasion :smallbiggrin: ) will likely qualify you for most things and will have some nice synergy while still being far from overpowered or game breaking.

Dean Fellithor
2007-09-03, 09:46 AM
I've played all kinds of wierd and wacky characters over the years, but I didn't go and ask for mechanical feedback about them on a message board!

Dean, your character will "work" just fine as it is - power is all about the level you play with. Will the rest of your group be going for a single class type build or will they take dips and such (or more likely be somewhere in between)?

I don't know much about skillmonkey PrCs (or indeed which books you have available) but Swash 3 / Rogue 2 (Evasion :smallbiggrin: ) will likely qualify you for most things and will have some nice synergy while still being far from overpowered or game breaking.

Yeah, I'm going to take Rogue next level: but only if one of the other party members is a rogue, otherwise I'd have to pay a Trainer to level me up in that class (thats how this DM goes), I also plan to get Dodge next level too...:confused::amused:

Anxe
2007-09-03, 09:57 AM
What do masterwork clothes do? And you're also not using your bag of holding for much, yet. Should throw some grenades into it for safekeeping or something. Nice character beyond that. Looks like it'll be fun to play.

goat
2007-09-03, 11:03 AM
Masterwork clothes are generally used to give circumstantial bonuses to diplomacy, bluff and other social situations. Really, it's the difference between meeting someone wearing a suit, and meeting someone wearing a really nice suit. For a lot of people, it won't make much difference, they'll not notice, but for some it will really count.

Dean Fellithor
2007-09-03, 05:11 PM
What do masterwork clothes do? And you're also not using your bag of holding for much, yet. Should throw some grenades into it for safekeeping or something. Nice character beyond that. Looks like it'll be fun to play.

the Bag of Holding is for my bullets, I don't have to feel the weight of them then. plus I could Hold the Grenades in my Cloak, it'd be worth getting some 'nades as soon as I can.

goat
2007-09-03, 05:26 PM
Have you considered a Handy Haversack rather than a bag of holding?

It's a bit cheaper, it holds a lot less (I don't know how much flintlock bullets weigh in D&D, I assume less than sling ones), but whatever you reach in for is instantly in your grasp, and retrieval is a move action. Could be useful if you need more bullets in a hurry.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-04, 02:30 PM
Pretty nice character.

Edit: Missed the armor. A +1 chain shirt (Instead of the spyglass at 1,000 GP) and a buckler (preferably a +1 Buckler) with a 16 in dex and the 14 in charisma bumps up your ac to 19 along with enhancing weapon finesse and increasing initiative.

If you can tweak your PC ability scores around a little it could help in game. If you leave intelligence at 14 consider taking the Jack of Trades feat.

Mercantile Background could be more useful than Cosmopolitan PGtF updated and improved the feat. Instead of maxing out Bluff Max out Diplomacy and take Smooth Talk instead of Cosmopolitan.

I like Rogue -2, Swashbuckler - 3 for the first level skill points, sneak attack +1D6 and evasion making taking another level of rogue a viable choice. With that first level in Rogue and those extra 16 skill point ranks you could put that 10 in intelligence.

Barbarian -2 (Hitpoints (12 + Con at first level), fast movement, rage and uncanny dodge), Swashbuckler- 3.

Second the Heward's for general utility.

Bauglir
2007-09-04, 03:13 PM
It might just be the games I play, but you might want to boost your AC higher than 14. At level 5, I'd think that's going to get smashed. In a game we started at level 6, our AC monkey had AC 30-something, and everyone else had mid-20's, and enemies showed little trouble hitting us (except the AC monkey). Upgrade to a Chain Shirt instead of Leather Armor if you can, maybe grab a buckler (unless these things are impossible thematically).

Dean Fellithor
2007-09-04, 05:25 PM
It might just be the games I play, but you might want to boost your AC higher than 14. At level 5, I'd think that's going to get smashed. In a game we started at level 6, our AC monkey had AC 30-something, and everyone else had mid-20's, and enemies showed little trouble hitting us (except the AC monkey). Upgrade to a Chain Shirt instead of Leather Armor if you can, maybe grab a buckler (unless these things are impossible thematically).

the Whole thing about Dungeons and Dragons is that you could role-play a Character who is all powerful: but couldn't handle a hit from a Troll's club, I like my characters having weaknesses, makes them seem more human.

RAGE KING!
2007-09-04, 07:22 PM

Also, I believe in some cases, if you want to say, add heavy fortification to a shirt, you need it to be m.w.

...I think

Reel On, Love
2007-09-04, 07:32 PM
the Whole thing about Dungeons and Dragons is that you could role-play a Character who is all powerful: but couldn't handle a hit from a Troll's club, I like my characters having weaknesses, makes them seem more human.

There's a difference between "having weaknesses" and "will probably die in the first serious fight". You're also going to be seriously irritating the cleric, who's going to have to spend his whole time trying to make you survive, instead of doing your job for you. You don't have a high damage output or a high AC, which means you can't kill enemies fast, but they can kill you fast.

Dean Fellithor
2007-09-05, 12:21 AM
There's a difference between "having weaknesses" and "will probably die in the first serious fight". You're also going to be seriously irritating the cleric, who's going to have to spend his whole time trying to make you survive, instead of doing your job for you. You don't have a high damage output or a high AC, which means you can't kill enemies fast, but they can kill you fast.

k. but the thing is that I have had some Flawed Dice-luck for a little while and rolling them has had many bad things happen: My dice need a Vacation, I think I should go to the Comic store again to buy some, then maybe next time my Newest edition to my Team will have some higher HP....

but while I'm waiting for the dice (the Comic shop I get them in is in the next goddamn suburb!*) I could always use my ever ready skill "Lore (Best Friends Mind while he is Dungeon Master)" to twist his arm...

*the game store in this suburb is only ever stocked with that god-damned Warhammer Game...AGH!

yango
2007-09-05, 12:36 AM
A Swashbuckler/Rogue is no longer an underpowered character. Not since Complete Scoundrel came out.

Swashbuckler 17/Rogue 3 has full sneak attack progression and +19 BAB if you take the Daring Outlaw feat.

knightsaline
2007-09-05, 02:21 AM
Think you may need to take EWP flintlock pistol. otherwise, you won't be concidered proficient and will take penalties to attack and to hit rolls, unless there is something that explains his proficiency in flintlock pistols (ie: comes from the island of Lantan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_Kingdoms_of_Faer%C3%BBn#Lantan).)

Dean Fellithor
2007-09-05, 04:04 AM
Think you may need to take EWP flintlock pistol. otherwise, you won't be concidered proficient and will take penalties to attack and to hit rolls, unless there is something that explains his proficiency in flintlock pistols (ie: comes from the island of Lantan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_Kingdoms_of_Faer%C3%BBn#Lantan).)

my character has been to Lantan several times. does that count?

Thiel
2007-09-05, 06:07 AM
That's up to your DM

knightsaline
2007-09-06, 04:39 AM
The problem with smoke powder weapons in FR is that people there prefer magic over smoke powder weapons. You would have had to burn your 1st level feat to take a Lantanian regional feat so he can be considered proficient with the flintlock pistol. Do any of your feats give proficiency in flintlock pistols? otherwise, you need to change one of your feats.

Dean Fellithor
2007-09-06, 04:51 AM
The problem with smoke powder weapons in FR is that people there prefer magic over smoke powder weapons. You would have had to burn your 1st level feat to take a Lantanian regional feat so he can be considered proficient with the flintlock pistol. Do any of your feats give proficiency in flintlock pistols? otherwise, you need to change one of your feats.

My DM has allowed me to have the Flintlock "Just because" I've been to Lantan many times over the years.