PDA

View Full Version : Psicrystal feats (with restrictions) for Psyrogue

heavyfuel
2018-04-21, 12:29 PM
The DM allowed me to pick the feats for my upcoming Psyrogue's Psicrystal.

He is, however, enforcing some serious restrictions on feat selection:

Feats can only have the General, Psionic, or Metapsionic tag
No Mindsight
No feats that emulate non-psionic class features (such as Bind Vestige, Draconic Aura, Shape Soulmeld, or Martial Study)
No feats that grant yet another creature (Psicrystal Affinity, Leadership, Wild Cohort, etc)

Right now, I have

- Hidden Talent at HD 1 (though I'll only be able to use the power at lv 4, when I get the crystal's Cha up to 11). I'm thinking of getting Psionic Grease to facilitate Sneak Attack twice a day without spending the Psyrogue's actions/PP

- Life Sense at HD 12, when the crystal's Cha is 13.

For the remaining feats, I really wanted something I could Feat Leech out when I required, but since the power only lasts a few minutes, it would be nice if they could be used in foreseeable circumstances.

Thanks!

DrMartin
2018-04-21, 02:13 PM
Darkstalker is nice, as it will use your ranks in hide/move silently, and as diminutive creatures it gets a +12 bonus to hide.

There's probably better options but you could do worse than give it skill focus UMD (I was going to suggest item familiar, but seeing the list of restrictions I imagine it would be banned as well) and giving him Dorjes to use in combat, to skew the action economy in your favor.

heavyfuel
2018-04-21, 02:32 PM
Darkstalker is nice, as it will use your ranks in hide/move silently, and as diminutive creatures it gets a +12 bonus to hide.

There's probably better options but you could do worse than give it skill focus UMD (I was going to suggest item familiar, but seeing the list of restrictions I imagine it would be banned as well) and giving him Dorjes to use in combat, to skew the action economy in your favor.

Darkstalker is nice, but since I'm already getting it on the psyrogue it wouldn't be of THAT much use. It would help it hiding with me though. I might take it if I think of nothing better

I though of giving it ranks in UMD/UPD, but I don't think it can activate items with command words, or even hold them.

DrMartin
2018-04-21, 02:49 PM
Dorje have a power trigger, no command words needed. Either build your pet rock a custom Dorje-holster or ask your DM if the self-propulsion "spidery, ectoplasmic legs" can be used to hold stuff :)

heavyfuel
2018-04-21, 05:49 PM
Dorje have a power trigger, no command words needed. Either build your pet rock a custom Dorje-holster or ask your DM if the self-propulsion "spidery, ectoplasmic legs" can be used to hold stuff :)

Indeed they are.

I suppose they can use self-propulsion to hold stuff, otherwise what would be the point of the strength score? Giving them Dorjes would be very interesting indeed.

I might even give the crystal Skill Focus: UPD just so it has a better chance of activating them.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-04-21, 06:01 PM
If the psyrogue has Darkstalker but the psicrystal doesn't, anything that can't spot the rogue could instead spot the psicrystal, so it'd better have it.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-04-21, 09:24 PM
If the psyrogue has Darkstalker but the psicrystal doesn't, anything that can't spot the rogue could instead spot the psicrystal, so it'd better have it.

A psicrystal that's not under its self-propulsion ability is just a shiny rock. Stick it in a pocket when you need to sneak and you'll be fine. It can activate its propulsion and climb out on its own when it's appropriate.

Dimers
2018-04-22, 03:16 AM
Hidden Talent at HD 1 (though I'll only be able to use the power at lv 4, when I get the crystal's Cha up to 11). I'm thinking of getting Psionic Grease to facilitate Sneak Attack twice a day without spending the Psyrogue's actions/PP ...

For the remaining feats, I really wanted something I could Feat Leech out when I required, but since the power only lasts a few minutes, it would be nice if they could be used in foreseeable circumstances.

Transdimensional Power sounds helpful, then. Burrowing Power likewise. They're not feats you'd apply seven times every day, but they're really useful in certain reasonable cases.

heavyfuel
2018-04-22, 08:43 AM

A psicrystal that's not under its self-propulsion ability is just a shiny rock. Stick it in a pocket when you need to sneak and you'll be fine. It can activate its propulsion and climb out on its own when it's appropriate.

I kind of agree with Kelp here. Only Mindsight would be able detect the crystal's intellect, most (all?) other senses would just sense a rock, which isn't a big deal.

Transdimensional Power sounds helpful, then. Burrowing Power likewise. They're not feats you'd apply seven times every day, but they're really useful in certain reasonable cases.

Both interesting choices. Transdimensional power becomes less interesting if there is a power like Orb of Force, ie, a power with the [Force] descriptor that requires an attack roll. Thanks!