PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #319 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-05-29, 06:15 PM
New comic is up.

CelestialStick
2006-05-29, 06:16 PM
Woot!! First post!

This is the best comic evah! ;) Gah! It's the attack of the multiple Haleys! Wow Rich, excellent way of (partially) resolving the Haley lack of self-confidence subsubplot while at the same time lampooning all the critics of the subsubplot, as well as those who seem to think every strip has to end in a "punchline!" Well done and bravo, sir, I say!

Sneak
2006-05-29, 06:16 PM
Woot! Comic! :D

EDIT: GRRR, CS! You simu-ninja angel thing of DOOM! You took away my precious first post!

Sniff...

chaospet
2006-05-29, 06:19 PM
Cute... now let's just hope she gets to talk normal soon.

Jocko
2006-05-29, 06:20 PM
grate comic giant...uber nice...cant wait for the punchline ^_^

and yipee first page ^_^

beknirvana
2006-05-29, 06:20 PM
Looks like the Haley speech problems will be resolved soon. And not a moment to soon.

and good comic, character developement + comedy is is why I love this site.

Mystral
2006-05-29, 06:21 PM
Well looks like we are in for another round of decrypting. Nice though that there is a new personality that wants to get back to the fun stuff... although it feels a tiny little bit like you shot at all those winers in the forum *g*

Nixie
2006-05-29, 06:24 PM
loved it!
"Haley's self-reliance, Haley's optimism and hmm... i don't know you..."

[EDIT]
Wow, 1st page...

CelestialStick
2006-05-29, 06:24 PM
Woot! Comic! :D

EDIT: GRRR, CS! You simu-ninja angel thing of DOOM! You took away my precious first post!

Sniff...
ROFL! It's my celestial super-reflexes! ;) I've never gotten to post earlier than the third page before, and here I achieve my life-long (would you believe, month-long?) ambition of getting not only on the first page but the very first post!

As a celestial, a paragon of goodness, I must say however that I feel your pain. :D

Drraagh
2006-05-29, 06:25 PM
Although it feels a tiny little bit like you shot at all those winers in the forum *g*

Who says that art doesn't imitate life? Or that writers don't pay attention to what their fans think?

Great comic, like usual, by the way.

RationalGoblin
2006-05-29, 06:26 PM
Finally, we return to FUNNY! *dances the Roboto*

EDIT: Huh, first page eh? Interesting....

Tauntaun13
2006-05-29, 06:28 PM
No "Haley's comedy sense is hot!!1!" yet?

tee_kay_one
2006-05-29, 06:28 PM
oh yes, quite amusing. She borders on a strange internal multiple personality syndrom, eh?

EDIT: I can't resist... WOOT, primary posting area cleared!!! Now I'm one happy cowardly lion! Sake, anyone?

Ota
2006-05-29, 06:29 PM
It's been a long wait... two pages a week... I feel like it's been years since the last one...

Finally My Chemical Romance is dead, it's time for some Cranberries XD

W00t, I made page 1!

Elcaz
Multi tasking at it's best, you sir, know your stuff. Great comic.

Jinks
Awesome comic, Giant!

Amithyst67
I can't wait for haley to speak normal again, I love the new guy hehe

WeaponMasterLDO
The part of my brain that distinguishes multiple objects has just commited suicide.

Great Comic!

CelestialStick
2006-05-29, 06:30 PM
loved it!
"Haley's self-reliance, Haley's optimism and hmm... i don't know you..."

[EDIT]
Wow, 1st page...

[Darth Vader voice] Luke, you don't know the power of the First Page! ;)

Arian
2006-05-29, 06:31 PM
Meh. Not among my favourites.

- Am I on the first page? The only reason I feel moved to post at all is to prove to those who think that the first page is always filled with uncritical praise that it is also possible to put uncritical er, criticism here :)

- Nope, this is page 2. Ah well, I'll go back to my usual practice of not even noticing which page I'm on. :D

tee_kay_one
2006-05-29, 06:32 PM
- Am I on the first page?

near miss

CelestialStick
2006-05-29, 06:33 PM
Meh. Not among my favourites.

- Am I on the first page? The only reason I feel moved to post at all is to prove to those who think that the first page is always filled with uncritical praise that it is also possible to put uncritical er, criticism here :)
Ha ha! You are too late, evil talky girl! I have spoiled your evil plans to ruin the first page! ;D

P.S. I have to say though, I didn't like Haley's new personality's short hair. She's not the same Haley I fell in love with! ;)
P.P.S. I could put that criticism on the first page, but I won't! Neener neener! :D

Brickwall
2006-05-29, 06:34 PM
Haley's self-reliance is blonde. That brings up questions.
Is she meant to look angelic.
Is Haley not a natural red (gasp!)?
Should this even be discussed?

And why is the humorous one short-haired? I don't get it.

Solstice
Silly Personification-of-Haley's-Self-Loathing! Romantic subplots are never, ever resolved until the farewell episode, years later!

I guess revelations of that sort are more the business of Personification-Of-Haley's-Daytime-Television-Watching, huh?

gallow
I'm the part of Haley's brain that's sick of all this emo crap and wants to get back to the comedy.

Brilliant :D And a great way to snap back at the whiners.
Haley's comedy sense is hot.

And aww, Haley was such a cute kid, judging on the Haley's optimism -character. But who's the self-relience -one? ... has Haley been blonde? :o I doubt it - who is she?

And, wtf, how can a stick figure have fat thighs? :D

(Edity edity! Second page yays.)

// edit2. Geez. Modify, modify, modify the irritating typos~

M._A._Foxfire
2006-05-29, 06:36 PM
Love the personifications. It couldv'e been funnier though.

But the self-loathing has a point.

Woot, second page!

Roland St. Jude
2006-05-29, 06:37 PM
Well done! I did not see that coming, and it was amusing.

JadedDM
2006-05-29, 06:39 PM
I normally don't read this thread, or post here, since the first 5 pages are about who posted on what page, and the last 5 pages are about where the new comic is.

But I had a question.

Because, this might be important.

In the very last panel, Haley says "Next comic! Geez!"

Now, is it my imagination...or does she ACTUALLY say that? It almost looks like a normal white speech balloon. But I might be imagining it. But if I'm not, that means Haley is cured.

Matuse
2006-05-29, 06:39 PM
I'm going to find Tomboy Haley and ask her to marry me.

Bring it on, imaginary bitches!

gallow
2006-05-29, 06:44 PM
Now, is it my imagination...or does she ACTUALLY say that? It almost looks like a normal white speech balloon. But I might be imagining it. But if I'm not, that means Haley is cured.
No, if you look closely you can see the window pane lines - it's still transparent. But it is less transparent than the others. kinda SPOILER-y Maybe now that she's not being adviced by her self-loathing, she might start getting better. Or for some other reason. The getting better -part was the point. [ /spoiler]

(I'm new, so I'm not that sure what I should tag with spoilers. I took precautions.)

Solstice

I totally noticed that too. But it might be something like Celia's invisible skirt which I missed but heard so much about.

But if it's true, then that means.... audible gasp! Phrenologists are FRAUDS!! O_O

CelestialStick
I normally don't read this thread, or post here, since the first 5 pages are about who posted on what page, and the last 5 pages are about where the new comic is.

But I had a question.

[Jedi voice] She did not really say that. It's just your imagination. These aren't the Haleys you're looking for. [/Jedi voice] ;)

Seriously though, I think she's still having an interior dialogue in the last panel--if indeed we can construe any comment about a stick figure talking to herself as "serious." ;)

theKOT
2006-05-29, 06:46 PM
Meh. Twas.... anticonclusion-riffic. I have to say, this arc seems to be ending as slowly as possible. Still, Haley got past her self-loathing, so I guess something happened. I just wish it hadn't eaten up so many strips.

CelestialStick
2006-05-29, 06:48 PM
Meh. Twas.... anticonclusion-riffic. I have to say, this arc seems to be ending as slowly as possible. Still, Haley got past her self-loathing, so I guess something happened. I just wish it hadn't eaten up so many strips.
At least they were tasty chicken strips. ;)

Carrion_Humanoid
2006-05-29, 06:49 PM
Im kinda annoyed how the 4th wall is like, shattered. Also, Emo-Haley got OWNED! three on one. . . wait. . . Ones a blonde, a child and a tom boy. . . Stupid, Nieve, Sexuality Curious person and a Child and a Tomboy arent that hard to fight

-Bet you werent expecting that!

chindogu
2006-05-29, 06:49 PM
Looks like it to me, close examination shows no window frame at all in that bubble. Its either a mistake, or shes just said that out loud...

tee_kay_one
2006-05-29, 06:50 PM
yup. she replies to the "are we getting a punchline or what?" that her new unsexy inner persona said. Inner monologue. No cure yet.

more gvgvgv to come... 8)

Solstice
2006-05-29, 06:51 PM
Im kinda annoyed how the 4th wall is like, shattered.

...breaking the fourth wall means addressing the audience, doesn't it? Not just acknowledging the fictionality of a role? Besides, THAT'S a standard source of humor for this strip.

Finwe
2006-05-29, 06:52 PM
"I'm the part of haley's brain that's sick of all this emo crap and wants to get back to comedy"
"Maybe your thighs really do look fat!"

rofl!

tee_kay_one
Im kinda annoyed how the 4th wall is like, shattered.

hm, no read-out on my sarcasm-detector...
Do you MEAN that? Really? Maybe you read the wrong webcomic....

Arian
Ha ha! You are too late, evil talky girl! I have spoiled your evil plans to ruin the first page! ;D

You have also spoiled my fine plan of deleting my post again, on the grounds that it was pretty silly, and I wouldn't have decided to post it at all if I hadn't woken up in the wee small hours, leaving me badly sleep-deprived and unable to judge what's funny and what's not.

But when I come back to delete it, what do I find? You've already replied to it! So much for my reputation! :D

P.S. I have to say though, I didn't like Haley's new personality's short hair. She's not the same Haley I fell in love with! ;)

LOL

P.P.S. I could put that criticism on the first page, but I won't! Neener neener! :D

ROTFL

- Hark at me. I really haven't had anything like enough sleep. I don't think I'll go into TAFE (college) this morning, I think I'll go back to bed.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

chindogu
2006-05-29, 06:53 PM
yup. she replies to the "are we getting a punchline or what?" that her new unsexy inner persona said. Inner monologue. No cure yet.

more gvgvgv to come... 8)
Your missing the point... Every bit of inner monologue we have seen from haley has been in a transparent bubble.. you can see window frames/comic borders/etc through it. In this bubble, you cant.

She may be replying to her inner monologue out loud...

*edit* smelling.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-05-29, 06:54 PM
Haley's self-creliance is blonde. Interesting. You'd think that she'd look as much like Haley's physical appearance as possible.

Also, I think we're (well, comics regulars, not necessarily me) starting to get on The Giant's nerves.

Just a bit.

theKOT
2006-05-29, 06:54 PM
Yes you can see the window panes. look closely, it's there.

High-Chancellor
2006-05-29, 06:55 PM
Haley's new short-haired persona ftw!

A little too fourthwallbroken for my tastes, but none the less a good comic.

I've had moment's like that before.

tee_kay_one
2006-05-29, 06:56 PM
Your missing the point... Every bit of inner monologue we have seen from haley has been in a transparent bubble.. you can see window frames/comic borders/etc through it. In this bubble, you cant.

Maybe I accidentally left my superman-x-ray-glasses on, but I can totally see through that bubble. So, technically, I didn't miss the point. (at least not this time)

chindogu
2006-05-29, 06:57 PM
Yes you can see the window panes. look closely, it's there.

I took the comic and zoomed right in... Theres no frame there.. It's an optical illusion, or if it is there.. its 1% transparent. So insignificant, you pratically cant tell. The previous ones have been aprox 30-50% transparent.

Nighthawk4
Yay - more than one Haley. Bliss! :D

Another really funny comic. Thanks Giant.

CelestialStick
You have also spoiled my fine plan of deleting my post again, on the grounds that it was pretty silly, and I wouldn't have decided to post it at all if I hadn't woken up in the wee small hours, leaving me badly sleep-deprived and unable to judge what's funny and what's not.

But when I come back to delete it, what do I find? You've already replied to it! So much for my reputation! :D

Wow! So I foiled not one but two of evil talky girl's plans?! ;) And yet my celestial goodness makes me feel sympathy for your feelings of frustation at the same time. ;D

LOL

ROTFL

- Hark at me. I really haven't had anything like enough sleep. I don't think I'll go into TAFE (college) this morning, I think I'll go back to bed.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Ooh, as a college instructor I must advise you to go to your classes, young lady! ;)

As a lazy-butted friend, however, I say, "yeah, go back to sleep. Sleep is good." :D

Maybe I accidentally left my superman-x-ray-glasses on, but I can totally see through that bubble. So, technically, I didn't miss the point. (at least not this time)

Darn it Tee Kay! How many times have I told you to ask before borrowing those?! ;)

HabbakukUnknown
2006-05-29, 06:59 PM
yes....go optimism, self reliance and comedy. Haley speaks again!!

theKOT
2006-05-29, 07:00 PM
I took the comic and zoomed right in... Theres no frame there.. It's an optical illusion, or if it is there.. its 1% transparent. So insignificant, you pratically cant tell. The previous ones have been aprox 30-50% transparent.
I can see it clear as day. Really. I don't know why you are having trouble.

Kelmon
2006-05-29, 07:00 PM
Didn't anyone notice the "poof!"? I saw this as a sign that her "curse" has been lifted. As evidenced by the last speech bubble which is not transparent at all...

LordOfNarf
2006-05-29, 07:01 PM
That, my friends, is a masterful punchline.

Great work Mr. Giant!

CelestialStick
2006-05-29, 07:02 PM
I can see it clear as day. Really. I don't know why you are having trouble.
Let's not argue and bicker over 'oo killed 'oo.

Master_Kindel
2006-05-29, 07:02 PM
that was amazing

tee_kay_one
2006-05-29, 07:03 PM
Didn't anyone notice the "poof!"? I saw this as a sign that her "curse" has been lifted. As evidenced by the last speech bubble which is not transparent at all...

now... good point. But, that would be quite anti-climatic. Either her curse really poofed or haley had onions for lunch...

Solstice
2006-05-29, 07:12 PM
now... good point. But, that would be quite anti-climatic. Either her curse really poofed or haley had onions for lunch...

Eeeeh, very funny. ::) But I think that was Self-Loathing going 'poof.'

ladybright
2006-05-29, 07:13 PM
This strip made me go and register. :D Go Haley. Not the funniest one ever but really great.

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-05-29, 07:13 PM
Haley will never get her speech back.

gallow
2006-05-29, 07:16 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/sinipaitainen/hayley.jpg

I think that's pretty clear, it's still transparent.

(Though, I'm now really puzzled by that 'poof'. Could it, possibly? But of course it could also be just the self-loathing Hailey disappearing.)

CelestialStick
2006-05-29, 07:16 PM
This strip made me go and register. :D Go Haley. Not the funniest one ever but really great.
Ah, I see you're a first-time poster. Greetings, fellow medium-sized creature! :D

warmachine
2006-05-29, 07:22 PM
Haley is a true lone wolf - an essential trait for any cat burglar or, indeed, an adventurer. The self loathing about not being about to solve problems can be put on hold, so it's no longer crippling, using self reliance, self confidence and plain bloody mindedness. Keep moving and you might find a solution later.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have brought my career back from the dead twice with this attitude.

Just as long as Haley intends to restore her speech later, rather than hide from the problem. Lone wolves don't give up. They re-evaluate their overall plan and use a different approach.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, this insight continues to show the author's professional grade of writing.

Ted_Stryker
2006-05-29, 07:25 PM
The new Haley is saying "Don't go near there! Don't go down by the river!" At least, that is the way it's playing out in my head.

Kontonshin
2006-05-29, 07:29 PM
Aww... I think Haley's optimism is the cutest thing I've ever seen. And it's about time the rest of her personality got their (its?) act together. Nice representation of an internal conflict being resolved...

Kontonshin
2006-05-29, 07:30 PM
The new Haley is saying "Don't go near there! Don't go down by the river!" At least, that is the way it's playing out in my head.

Ah yes... women in comfortable shoes. I sort of got that impression as well. ;)

Tomada
2006-05-29, 07:41 PM
I think that is the first comic I didn't enjoy since the first I read this site more than a year ago...

Sorry, Giant, I do love your comic and was enjoying everything...

Well, it's ok, you can't be right everytime, right?

And, you DO KNOW that you don't need to do what your audience asks you to, right?

You have a great comic, we can forgive one or another comic that doesn't pleases us, ok?
Even if we moan about it

Keep up the good work

EDIT: I'm saying we, but actually I mean I, as I think I am one of the few who didn't enjoy... whatever, I still love oots.

warmachine
2006-05-29, 07:42 PM
I'd say the 'poof!' is simply what Haley imagines happens when an aspect of herself loses the ability to manifest itself as an hallucination. She knows it wasn't real but it's still a signal to herself that it's being re-suppressed. You'll notice that it was re-inserted into her head where, presumably, she believes her personality resides.

For others with different ideas of how hallucinations behave, a self-loathing might just disappear, walk away into the sunset or be sucked into the body.

Brickwall
2006-05-29, 07:47 PM
I think the *poof* is when they all (almost) go away. Notice how she doesn't move, but they still dissappear?

Sect
2006-05-29, 07:50 PM
So, Haley's "sick of the emo crap" portion of the brain and Haley's "self-reliance"... foreshadowing to the future, or wishful thinking of Haley being revealed as a half celestial who cuts her hair short for no darn reason other than the fact that it looks cute/cool?

... Yeah. Just wishful thinking. ::sob::

Anyways, finally emo Haley gets her due!

Hotspur
2006-05-29, 07:52 PM
Nice characterizations...childlike optimism was my favorite...

Flak_Razorwill
2006-05-29, 07:57 PM
Why the short hair? Am I missing something?

Aw, well. I like how the REALLY mirrors my own internal monologue.

New Song: Voices in My Head.

infiniteviking
2006-05-29, 08:00 PM
Yay! Love Haley and her gaggle of imaginary friends. Getting crowded under those silky auburn locks, isn't it?

Her Optimism reminds me of Kaylee from 'Firefly'. *g*

I did think, at first, that the punchline was Haley actually talking, but on closer examination the speech bubble seems just as transparent as the others. Oh well... defeat of self-hatred is a major step for her. Looking forward to seeing Optimistic!Haley bouncing off the walls!

cleric_of_BANJO
2006-05-29, 08:04 PM
Congratulations Giant, once again a good comic. I can't say that it was one of my favourites though, since most of the comics are hilarious, and this one was just very funny. I don't know if I'm the only one that realized this, or maybe I'm just an idiot and I'm imagining things (probably the second one), but I think that the "poof" was actually Haley getting her speech back. Maybe the reason she couldn't speak was that she had to get rid of her self loathing, at leas temporarily.

It sounds dumb, but hey, most of OOTS0 is not about logic so, I might actually be half-right. For the first time in my life ;D!

EDIT: I started my post before I saw infiniteviking's, so I guess I basically repeated what he said! But, I think that if Haley is talking to herself, Giant will still put it transparent, so that is really not a good clue.

ladybright
2006-05-29, 08:06 PM
Yay! Love Haley and her gaggle of imaginary friends. Getting crowded under those silky auburn locks, isn't it?

Her Optimism reminds me of Kaylee from 'Firefly'. *g*

Me too. That was actually why I picked I can see you as a line. from the R. Tam sessions

I did think, at first, that the punchline was Haley actually talking, but on closer examination the speech bubble seems just as transparent as the others. Oh well... defeat of self-hatred is a major step for her. Looking forward to seeing Optimistic!Haley bouncing off the walls!
I dont see Haely as entirely optimistic yet. More self aware and assured.

The Giant
2006-05-29, 08:09 PM
Haley's speech is not cured. The last balloon is still transparent, indicating that she is talking to her hallucination. The "poof!" was just the sound of the self-loathing hallucination being banished.

Ing
2006-05-29, 08:28 PM
am i the only one whoi thinks Haley's comedic side as a slight resemblence to Elan Degeneras?

coincidence?

carmachu
2006-05-29, 08:28 PM
well, it wasnt terrible, but thank the gods the story will FINALLY move along.....

6079smithw
2006-05-29, 08:35 PM
Anyone else get kind of a Herman's Head vibe? Or am I the only one who ever saw that show?

I like that Haley's self confidence looks opposite to her self loathing. The child being optimism makes sense, too. I don't really get the tomboy who likes jokes, though (unless that's meant to be a fanboy or something.)

I've liked this whole arc, but reading it bit by bit has made it feel like it was taking forever. Still, it will work wonderfully when archived and available for reading all at once.

warmachine
2006-05-29, 08:40 PM
The "poof!" was just the sound of the self-loathing hallucination being banished.
Should I point out that as hallucinations don't exist in the real world (for Haley), only in Haley's imagination, they cannot make a real sound or directly affect the real world? The sound only exists in Haley's head.

Maybe I'm being too pedantic for a cartoon.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2006-05-29, 08:42 PM
Wow. Comic posted before sundown today. That's a good sign, right?

Beelzebub1111
2006-05-29, 08:42 PM
Finaly! Plot resolved and no more emoness!

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-05-29, 08:49 PM
Anyone else get kind of a Herman's Head vibe? Or am I the only one who ever saw that show?
I was a big HH fan. Yes, I can rather see that, although technically shouldn't one of Haley's inner selves have been a big fat hairy man, since Herman's sensitivity was a hot chick?

I also recall an episode of Aladdin where Genie was split into his seperate personality components after Abis Mal chucked a magical bomb at him, and they all voilently argued in a similar manner.

The short hair was probably just to make the new Haley aspect look different from the real Haley. A little on the butchy side, but kind of cute.

The Giant
2006-05-29, 08:50 PM
Should I point out that as hallucinations don't exist in the real world (for Haley), only in Haley's imagination, they cannot make a real sound or directly affect the real world? The sound only exists in Haley's head.

If the hallucinations can speak to Haley, then Haley can also hallucinate them "poof"ing when they go. Her hallucination has an audio component.

starwoof
2006-05-29, 08:52 PM
am i the only one whoi thinks Haley's comedic side as a slight resemblence to Elan Degeneras?

coincidence?

To tell the truth, I thought that that was the side that kissed another girl once. Ok, ok, more than once. ;)

Krytha
2006-05-29, 08:58 PM
Hmmm... Haley's emo-side got beaten up by her good side? Where's the naughty Haley when you need here? Other than the obvious answer.

Haley vs. EmoHaley! Now on pay-per-view.

Finwe
2006-05-29, 09:05 PM
If the hallucinations can speak to Haley, then Haley can also hallucinate them "poof"ing when they go. Her hallucination has an audio component.

Cool, does she get 7.1 channels? :D

redmind0
2006-05-29, 09:06 PM
:( how disapointing

Finwe
2006-05-29, 09:10 PM
Here's an interesting thought - maybe Haley's self reliance is supposed to be similar in appearance to her mother?

thehothead
2006-05-29, 09:10 PM
this comic was just plain odd :P

Evik
2006-05-29, 09:16 PM
heh ....So on with the show!
Looks like Haley's speech impediment will be around for a bit more...not neccessarily a bad thing. I'm looking forward to when Haley actually does get cured...im sure it will be at an interesting time lol.

charik
2006-05-29, 09:18 PM
Wow, three hours and already page 7. Will I ever make it to page one?

Next comic, jeez!
:(

Kanashimi
2006-05-29, 09:22 PM
Awesome.

Like the final battle of internal conflict. And Hayley looks awesomely hot with short hair! Very good personification of emotional attitudes.

Dudukain
2006-05-29, 09:30 PM
Haley's speech is back!!!!

charik
2006-05-29, 09:45 PM
To those wondering about a blonde Haley, it's really quite simple and logical:

self-loathing:self-reliance::black:blonde.

Even her clothes are white, while the others wear Haley's usual brown.

Red is her natural color - her father's hair is red, throughout the comics her hair is red, and even her 15 year old self's black hair shows red roots.

Kanashimi
2006-05-29, 09:49 PM
To those wondering about a blonde Haley, it's really quite simple and logical:

self-loathing:self-reliance::black:blonde.

Red is her natural color - her father's hair is red, throughout the comics her hair is red, and even her 15 year old self's black hair shows red roots.

nice summary. I agree. It is just like how the youthful Haley represents her optimism, like the boundless optimizim often found in children but rarely found in adults who are grounded in reality.

Then there's the new persona who is radically difference in appearance and speech from the regular Haley, representing the fact that she is ready for a change, and ready to boot the "emo crap" in favor of comedy and fun instead of worrying about what others think of her and if she's good enough for them.

Again. Nice. It took me a while and a bit of re-reading to feel the depth of this comic. The punchline can wait :)

ref
2006-05-29, 09:50 PM
hehe... Haley of course have lotsa more "inner haleys", those will be fun to know...

charik
2006-05-29, 09:52 PM
nice summary.
Thanks. It makes my day to get a vote of confidence from someone who was willing to take a sock coffee for the team! :D

molonel
2006-05-29, 09:53 PM
You know, the funny thing is, ya'll read this comic as a potshot at the "whiners" (a winer, Mystral, is another name for a lush). And initially, I thought so, too. The first draft of my reply was written with that in mind.

Interesting, though, read this line:

"I'm the part of Haley's brain that is sick of all this emo crap and wants to get back to comedy. (I'm new.)"

It simply isn't possible to view this line as a tip of the hat to the folks who write the uncritical praise on this forum.

I'm going to view that as a tip of the hat to those of us who posted recently.

It's probably a generous reading, but if I'm right ...

Here's tipping a pint of Guinness in your direction, Rich.

I think my misinterpretation came from reading the five pages of praise before I replied.

Despite all of their praise, Rich, you really do rock.

Cheers.

maximus
2006-05-29, 09:54 PM

If you go back to page 6 i think, you will see that The Giant clearly states that she has not gotten her speech back yet and that last speech bubble is still transparent as she is talking to her self still.

Varian7
2006-05-29, 09:54 PM
I agree! Bring on all the inner Haleys!

starwoof
2006-05-29, 09:55 PM

No it isnt. Read page 6.

Damn you simu ninjas! Damn you all to the abyss!

Holy_Knight
2006-05-29, 10:05 PM
Awwwwwww.... Haley's optimism is so CUTE!!! :D

...*snicker*... that was pretty funny. :)

Notcie that Haley's self-loathing isn't gone completely--she's still there inside Haley's head. It'll be interesting to see how much effect she may still have, even if she's been stifled somewhat now.

DraxtonSmitz
2006-05-29, 10:07 PM
Not sure if anyone noticed it but Haley is wearing her bow.... TIME FOR ACTION!

mirado_lassik
2006-05-29, 10:28 PM
Gah, Giant you really know how to write a comic because this subplot is nagging at me. Would you please just resolve it? I'm almost afraid that viewing Haley from this perspective only will take away from the roundness of her character; most of the characters (such as Roy and Celia) are adding depth, but Haley seems to be losing what she had. D:

Edit: And for the guy above me, she was wearing her bow in the restaurant with Elan the night before...maybe there should have been a cyclopse or something else for which a bow would seem to help.

Ing
2006-05-29, 10:29 PM
You know, the funny thing is, ya'll read this comic as a potshot at the "whiners" (a winer, Mystral, is another name for a lush). And initially, I thought so, too. The first draft of my reply was written with that in mind.

Interesting, though, read this line:

"I'm the part of Haley's brain that is sick of all this emo crap and wants to get back to comedy. (I'm new.)"

It simply isn't possible to view this line as a tip of the hat to the folks who write the uncritical praise on this forum.

I'm going to view that as a tip of the hat to those of us who posted recently.

It's probably a generous reading, but if I'm right ...

Here's tipping a pint of Guinness in your direction, Rich.

I think my misinterpretation came from reading the five pages of praise before I replied.

Despite all of their praise, Rich, you really do rock.

Cheers.

dude....what makes you think he even cares about praise or criticism.

i very much doubt there is any hat tipping.

cow tipping, maybe
troll tipping posibly

hat tipping....naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

charik
2006-05-29, 10:29 PM
Not sure if anyone noticed it but Haley is wearing her bow.... TIME FOR ACTION!
Not to pop your balloon, but she's worn it all along, even during her New Year's Eve date with Elan, and she didn't get any action then, either. :-/

ed
2006-05-29, 10:32 PM
good ep, and i understand the need for it before returning to the rest of the story. well-realized, i thought, but i really can't wait for wednesday's installment.

ed

molonel
2006-05-29, 10:35 PM

cow tipping, maybe
troll tipping posibly

I am justly chastised, and bow my head in shame.

Bakta
2006-05-29, 10:41 PM

cow tipping, maybe
troll tipping posibly

Hmm, maybe. And maybe not.

The last panel looks too much at recents talks about Giant's love for lastpanel punchline to me.

But on one side I agree, it would be presumptuous of us to the extreme to think that what we're writing has any effect on the way the comics goes.

That said.

If the last comic was unfunny but got the action started, this one is just plain unfunny.

Or it's just on purpose as a breather after the new year's one.

Morchaint
2006-05-29, 10:47 PM
Ah its so funny. Ill have to go back and read it closer
but I love it
multipersonality battle royale.
no punchline thats a punchline in and of itself.
gvgvgvgvgvgvgvgvg

Al-Ashrad
2006-05-29, 10:50 PM
Who says that art doesn't imitate life? Or that writers don't pay attention to what their fans think?

Yes... thank you for paraphrasing my sentiments in your comic... I liked that.

However, Haley is still not dead... hehe.

-Al-Ashrad

wolf_mage
2006-05-29, 10:52 PM
Just because the Giant doesn't care if we praise or criticize doesn't mean he hasn't noticed. 318 feels like him poking fun at the whole debate. Internet people are, in some sense, "imaginary bitches" after all.

Anyway. Next comic. Geez.

molonel
2006-05-29, 10:54 PM
Internet people are, in some sense, "imaginary bitches" after all.

Well said.

Solstice
2006-05-29, 11:04 PM
Just because the Giant doesn't care if we praise or criticize doesn't mean he hasn't noticed. 318 feels like him poking fun at the whole debate. Internet people are, in some sense, "imaginary bitches" after all.

Amen, brotha.
I know that if any creative work of MINE ever acquired a rabid fan following, I would care, I would notice, but I would also have fun acting as though I didn’t care or notice and stringing them cruelly along.

By the way, I might possibly be the only person here who actually liked this storyline - a lot - and who is tearing out hair that it’s being set to the side unresolved. I LOVE relational subplots.

wolf_mage
2006-05-29, 11:10 PM
By the way, I might possibly be the only person here that actually liked this story lone - a lot - and am tearing out my hair that it’s being set to the side unresolved. I LOVE relational subplots.
Go watch a chick flick, sissy. Sweet Home Alabama will have you bald by June.

:P

Ing
2006-05-29, 11:10 PM
nononononononono

you care that you have a following, you don't care about the individual reactions to everything. its your world they are a guest

if you care what they are in an uproar about or not....if you do that tempts you to service them over the vision of the story

and this leads to coopouts, retcons and superhero deaths/undyings.

and this is hurts the story telling.

you can care, but you must never ever be tempted too much to actually effect anything.

Melnor
2006-05-29, 11:13 PM
Woot! I love punchlines that siege the forth wall!
And nice job getting the comic up on time! :P

zibeck
2006-05-29, 11:19 PM
Short hair Haley is hot!!!

That's all I have to say.

DraxtonSmitz
2006-05-29, 11:42 PM
Not to pop your balloon, but she's worn it all along, even during her New Year's Eve date with Elan, and she didn't get any action then, either. :-/

Well how about that...

Euphemism
2006-05-29, 11:49 PM
FWIW, I like the pixie-do. Now if only she had librarian glasses...

<Ghostbusters flashback>

Ing
2006-05-30, 12:17 AM

of course she brought her bow along with her on her date...

a wize adventurer should always bring a form of protection with them..... just in case

Lianae
2006-05-30, 12:18 AM
This wouldn't be the Giants way of saying "So there" would it? ;)

Tekar
2006-05-30, 12:52 AM
Yay, no more emo crap.

Skyserpent
2006-05-30, 02:43 AM
FWIW, I like the pixie-do. Now if only she had librarian glasses...

<Ghostbusters flashback>

BOW CHICKA BOW WOW!

Oorlof
2006-05-30, 03:05 AM
Yay, no more emo crap.

Sadly, no. Haley's last textballoon is still transparent, so she's still only talking normal in her head. The decyphering continues.

I understand Giant's pacing the comic differently these days because he wants to sell it in bookform, but it's really putting me off of OotS. Comics 1-150, the story advanced superquick; started reading OotS at #60 or something. Then came the Miko-debacle (was hoping all the time it'd resolve as quick as the encounter with the bandits) and the endless trial. Most every comic that comes out now, I think: "man, get on with it already". From now on, I'm going back to checking in on OotS once every month. Hopefully, that way I can actually enjoy it again.

Arian
2006-05-30, 03:06 AM
What is this "Bow chicka bow wow" of which you speak? :) Is it a quotation from somewhere in particular?

From the context, I deduce that it's basically synonymous with "Hubba hubba", but I don't remember ever having seen it before it started turning up in these threads.

Yorkiebar
2006-05-30, 03:09 AM
Yes! No more Haley-speak, no more Haley-speak! ;D ;D ;D

I'm pretty sure that last balloon is not transparent.

molonel
2006-05-30, 03:11 AM
What is this "Bow chicka bow wow" of which you speak? :) Is it a quotation from somewhere in particular? From the context, I deduce that it's basically synonymous with "Hubba hubba", but I don't remember ever having seen it before it started turning up in these threads.

It is a transcription of cheesy 70s style porn music.

Arian
2006-05-30, 03:13 AM
Ah, okay. Thanks.

molonel
2006-05-30, 03:14 AM
I understand Giant's pacing the comic differently these days because he wants to sell it in bookform, but it's really putting me off of OotS. Comics 1-150, the story advanced superquick; started reading OotS at #60 or something. Then came the Miko-debacle (was hoping all the time it'd resolve as quick as the encounter with the bandits) and the endless trial. Most every comic that comes out now, I think: "man, get on with it already". From now on, I'm going back to checking in on OotS once every month. Hopefully, that way I can actually enjoy it again.

Heretic and blasphemer!

Saying that sort of thing is like flinging raw red meat to hungry wolves around here.

Oorlof
2006-05-30, 03:17 AM
Heretic and blasphemer!

Saying that sort of thing is like flinging raw red meat to hungry wolves around here.

In other words, an act of kindness that might spare actual humans from being eaten? ;)

molonel
2006-05-30, 03:19 AM
In other words, an act of kindness that might spare actual humans from being eaten? ;)

If that's how you prefer to look at it, sure.

Corylus
2006-05-30, 03:28 AM
The comic made me smile; not at the inherent self deprecating humour so obvious in it but because it is so clearly a response to those of us who have previously expressed disappointment.

Thanks Rich.

tee_kay_one
2006-05-30, 03:45 AM
Yes! No more Haley-speak, no more Haley-speak! ;D ;D ;D

I'm pretty sure that last balloon is not transparent.

yes, let's ignore what the author himself said about that last panel. I like your attitude. ;)

EDIT: woot, 111th post!! Sake, anyone??

Lauren
2006-05-30, 04:01 AM
I love how uniquely Haley's personality facets are represented. Off to share this with the Multiplicity group on LiveJournal now, if only to try and get more people reading the comic :D

Oh, also, on the first read-through I was convinced that No-more-emo was male. Then I went back and looked and saw boobies. Whoopsie. Was I the only one who made that mistake?

molonel
2006-05-30, 04:07 AM
Sake, anyone??

Momokawa Pearl Sake?

tee_kay_one
2006-05-30, 04:11 AM
Momokawa Pearl Sake?

No, sorry. Until now only "Pete's - ", "Christ's-", "God's-" and, recently, "anyone's-" Sake.
But this infamous anyone's sake is an open project, so technically you can also have your Momo-thingy's Sake.
;D

Thank you for listening to my totally off and useless remark... ;D

molonel
2006-05-30, 04:13 AM
No, sorry. Until now only "Pete's - ", "Christ's-", "God's-" and, recently, "anyone's-" Sake.
But this infamous anyone's sake is an open project, so technically you can also have your Momo-thingy's Sake.
;D

So it's like open source software, but without the bad interface, and command strings that look like Ukranian street signs with a dozen consonants?

Thank you for listening to my totally off and useless remark... ;D

As if I make any other kind.

tee_kay_one
2006-05-30, 04:18 AM
So it's like open source software, but without the bad interface, and command strings that look like Ukranian street signs with a dozen consonants?

yeah, there is no law in the board rules against extended linux vs. windows flamewars... let's start one.
Wait, I need some time to get into my role...
**cough**
Ok, here we go:

WTF! YOU R AGAINST 7337 Linux Softwarez???? (insert various tech based insults here)

Max_Sinister
2006-05-30, 04:20 AM
Now that was funny... "Next comic! Geez!"

But please, please, PLEASE Giant: Don't let Haley cut off her hair!

tee_kay_one
2006-05-30, 04:24 AM

as if he could do something against it. you know how women are.... ::)

Antina
2006-05-30, 04:40 AM
"I don´t think I know you..." SOOO GREAT!!! ;D

Optimism = Child ;D

KayJay
2006-05-30, 04:53 AM
Good comic, and a nice reflection of what some people on these boards are thinking :)

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-30, 04:54 AM
Good comic, and a nice reflection of what some people on these boards are thinking :)

Glad I'm not the only one on this board who thought that.

carais
2006-05-30, 04:55 AM
By the way, I might possibly be the only person here who actually liked this storyline - a lot - and who is tearing out hair that it’s being set to the side unresolved. I LOVE relational subplots.

Must post to support. No, you're not the only one. Simply shove everything aside, be happy again, feelings forgotten? I disbelieve. Not that the giant wouldn't do that, but that it's realistic.

Considering I'm talking about a comic, let me rephrase that 'realistic'. I don't think it's plausible. IMO that leaves a big mess behind, not a solved problem. Plus, 'emo crap'? OK, it's the perfectly normal way for that persona to express her (its?) opinion. But it's a good thing that the giant wouldn't have made the previous strips if he thought like that.

Overall - meh. For me, unsatisfying.

On a side note, would someone please explain that wall thing to me? Breaking of the, what, fourth wall?

molonel
2006-05-30, 04:59 AM
On a side note, would someone please explain that wall thing to me? Breaking of the, what, fourth wall?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_wall

tee_kay_one
2006-05-30, 05:00 AM

Probably ten people will explain this better while I one-finger type this here:

fourth wall in roleplaying means, as far as i know, the characters being aware of their state of being part of a game, or being aware of the rules. if you break the fourth wall, player meta-knowledge is used in playing decisions? is it true? but than again, it is used also for other media than roleplaying. like joke in mel brooks movies where the characters pull out the script and such.

edit: hm, i should have thought of just posting a link to wiki... grrr

Raeden
2006-05-30, 05:40 AM
The part of Haley's brain that's about the fun stuff looks like a lesbian :o

Yeah I know, that's a bit stereotypical but aren't those avatars of aspects of someone's personallity all stereotypes?

CelestialStick
2006-05-30, 05:53 AM
Awesome.

Like the final battle of internal conflict. And Hayley looks awesomely hot with short hair!
Sell out! :D

Awwwwwww.... Haley's optimism is so CUTE!!! :D

...*snicker*... that was pretty funny. :)
Thanks, man. :)

Notcie that Haley's self-loathing isn't gone completely--she's still there inside Haley's head. It'll be interesting to see how much effect she may still have, even if she's been stifled somewhat now.

Alas I suspect that people with self-loathing never banish it entirely, but merely relegate it to a lesser status or keep it at bay.

What is this "Bow chicka bow wow" of which you speak? :) Is it a quotation from somewhere in particular?

From the context, I deduce that it's basically synonymous with "Hubba hubba", but I don't remember ever having seen it before it started turning up in these threads.
You and your husband obviously don't watch enough porn. Maybe you need to hack off all your hair so that he needs the porn as a marital aid. ;) Then you can go around all day unconsciously humming 'bow chicka chicka bow' like Monica on the episode of Friends wherey Joey and Chandler somehow got free porn on their cable system. :D

Um, by the way, what does 'bow chicka chicka bow' have to do with the current strip?

Amen, brother! :D

CelestialStick
2006-05-30, 06:29 AM
But see, the beauty of this is that this is 100% consistent with Haley's character—to supress the inconvenient truths with a lie. Your reaction—implausibility—is exactly the RIGHT reaction. Self-Loathing says right before she vanishes, "This is just another type of hiding," and she's right. This strip, far from simply ending it, shows that the problem with Haley is still there and not going away that easily. The fact that it ALSO clears the stage for the next plot, so that we can pick this up again at a later date, is why it's a good transition strip.

And I think Haley looks hot with short hair. :P

BlasPHEMer! ;)

TreesOfDeath
2006-05-30, 06:36 AM
The tomboy is supposed to look like a boy because its a joke at the posters who were complaing about the thing dragging on (they were pretty much all guys).
Although Haley is still hiding herself, overcoming you self loathing is pretty much the first step to overcoming many pyschological problems, so the bubble whitened, even though she is still hiding. It repersents a step forward, and that she is less self concious and thus closer to fixing things with Elan.
I have no idea why Haley's self reliance is blonde. Maybe its her mother, but that seems pretty ironic. Red is her natural colour, as you can see from the centre of her loathing's hair. Actually the face shape and figure on the Self Reliance look different to regular haley, so maybe it is her mum. Do we see her in OOTS?

fithi
2006-05-30, 06:41 AM
Muchly amusing. I admit, I was snickering here in the hostel in Athens as I read it.

CelestialStick
2006-05-30, 06:42 AM
Muchly amusing. I admit, I was snickering here in the hostel in Athens as I read it.
An internet connection in a Greek hostel? Things have sure come a long way since I was a teen backpacking across Europe.

Oh wait, I never backpacked across Europe. ;)

Delgarde
2006-05-30, 07:43 AM

No, you're just missing the fact that the 'poof' has a transparent background, just like her speech bubbles. It's all in her head... :)

Delgarde
2006-05-30, 07:44 AM
fourth wall in roleplaying means, as far as i know, the characters being aware of their state of being part of a game, or being aware of the rules. if you break the fourth wall, player meta-knowledge is used in playing decisions? is it true? but than again, it is used also for other media than roleplaying. like joke in mel brooks movies where the characters pull out the script and such.

No need to bring roleplaying or anything else into it, since it's a comics term originally - referring, of course, to the 4 sides of a strip. Use of the term elsewhere is derived from this meaning.

SPoD
2006-05-30, 07:50 AM
No, actually, it's a theater term. The first three walls were actual physical walls: upstage, stage left, and stage right, setting the scene of a room. The invisible Fourth Wall would have been downstage, between the play and the audience. Breaking the Fourth Wall meant acknowledging that this invisible wall wasn't really there, and talking to the audience.

This predates any usage in comics or any other form of literature.

Corylus
2006-05-30, 07:51 AM
No need to bring roleplaying or anything else into it, since it's a comics term originally - referring, of course, to the 4 sides of a strip. Use of the term elsewhere is derived from this meaning.

That's not what wiki says....

<edit> must type faster....</edit>

Taren
2006-05-30, 08:35 AM
This is all I have to say about this, and it's probably not even funny, but I think it is:

Dude, crisis on infinate Haley.

Friggin SWEET!

CelestialStick
2006-05-30, 08:40 AM
This is all I have to say about this, and it's probably not even funny, but I think it is:

Dude, crisis on infinate Haley.

Friggin SWEET!

Good God, man! First Celia spun off to her own comic, Celia Lawyer Princess, and now multiple, mutually-exclusive Haley storylines. Will the madness ever end?! ;)

ed
2006-05-30, 09:02 AM
susan powter quoth
stop the insanity!
:>

ed

somegaijin42
2006-05-30, 09:07 AM
hehe...."sick of all this emo crap" ;D ;D Great strip!!

Kanashimi
2006-05-30, 09:37 AM
Okay, I feel a little silly for asking this, but are the other aspects of her personality shoving the Emo Haley back into her head? In the first panel on the bottom, her legs are disappearing into Haley's head.

Okay, that makes the fight EVEN FUNNIER!

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-05-30, 09:42 AM
Haley's never going to get her voice back. The clerics and her "dark side" have told her what she needs to do to cure herself, and it's been demonstrated she'll never do it, so we're stuck with gibberish forever. >:(

CelestialStick
2006-05-30, 09:48 AM
hehe...."sick of all this emo crap" ;D ;D Great strip!!
Ah, I see you're a first-time poster. Welcome, fellow medium-sized creature! :D

Okay, I feel a little silly for asking this, but are the other aspects of her personality shoving the Emo Haley back into her head? In the first panel on the bottom, her legs are disappearing into Haley's head.

I never heard the word "emo" before reading the boards here. I gather it's an abbreviation for "emotional?"

Woot! you changed your avatar caption to refer to sock coffee! You big tease you! :D

KayJay
2006-05-30, 10:17 AM

I never realised that! That's a pretty cool touch :)

edit: "Maybe your thighs really do look fat" in a stick comic... lol just noticed this :)

Sarakin
2006-05-30, 10:22 AM
I just had to register after reading this great comic for months now.

Short hair Haley is hot!!!

QFT! :D

charik
2006-05-30, 10:48 AM
I have no idea why Haley's self reliance is blonde. Maybe its her mother, but that seems pretty ironic. Red is her natural colour, as you can see from the centre of her loathing's hair. Actually the face shape and figure on the Self Reliance look different to regular haley, so maybe it is her mum. Do we see her in OOTS?

We never see Mrs Starshine in any of the comics, not even in OtOoPC. And I thought Self-reliant Haley looked exactly like current Haley except for the coloring. As for the blonde hair and white clothes, see my post on page 7 or 8 where I give a possible explaination.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-05-30, 10:57 AM
As much as I love the Giant and want to man-carry his man-babies, I have to say my reaction to this was "meh". No appreciable easter eggs, fairly monotonous art, some meta-references which fell flat IMO...I mean, it's better than no OotS at all, but it's definitely not up to the standards Rich has set with the last few comics which have been AMAZING.

Although I have to admit, if there had been a pair of spectral green hands wailing "Raaaas-puuuu-tiiiiin" and one of the Haleys had been wearing aviator goggles, it would have been the best thing ever.

Terrafire
2006-05-30, 11:35 AM
ROFLMAO.

That was one of the best. :)

Shea Landford
2006-05-30, 11:39 AM
Wow! Only page 12! IT was a very good comic. I liked the temporary resolvement of Haley's problem. Good comic, Rich.

Solmage
2006-05-30, 12:19 PM
Although I've enjoyed most of the last few comics a fair bit, I didn't quite connect with this one.

It's possible this is because I was agreeing with self-loathing haley's thorough yet concise assessment in panel 1 :D and I wanted her to just get on with it.

I did like the no-punchline punchline however, heh, and agree with others that in book form/continous reading form/not-wait-weeks-for-plot-resolution form this episode likely works a lot better. :-)

Kanashimi
2006-05-30, 12:27 PM
I liked the temporary resolvement of Haley's problem.

I don't think this is a temporary resolvement. Haley says herself "I got your resolution right here"

Argent
2006-05-30, 12:27 PM
Overall, while I enjoy Rich's work, I'm looking forward to the resolution of all this Haley-emo stuff and moving the plotline forward -- they've been mired too long in Sapphire City and I want to see what's next on the agenda.

paul_brown_1973
2006-05-30, 12:46 PM
Hmmm. It pains me to say it, but I really didn't like this one. The little gags were okay and I know that everyone is excited about the emo stuff being over, but this really did feel a bit "Babylon 5 series 4 ending". In other words, that familiar sinking feeling that you get when writing (or DMing for that matter) and you realise that you've got yourself into a position that you don't really know how to get out of. You know that you have to resolve the storyline before episode 320 / the end of the series / the next session, but you can't think of a way out.

The end result is a sudden and jarring resolution such as "the next two thousand years in 45 minutes" or "Haley just decides to get over it" or, in my case, "fatal space monkey exploding flu" (don't ask).

A minor blip, I'm sure, and the action stuff that's coming will make up for it, but still...

Meh.

fithi
2006-05-30, 12:58 PM
An internet connection in a Greek hostel? Things have sure come a long way since I was a teen backpacking across Europe.

Oh wait, I never backpacked across Europe. ;)

This isn't even me backpacking... this is me killing time before I head to Crete for 7 weeks...

/wanders off to get dinner in tourist district and to let the convo get back on topic

charik
2006-05-30, 01:53 PM
This isn't even me backpacking... this is me killing time before I head to Crete for 7 weeks...

And you didn't offer to take us with you, huh? aww maaan! :(

Kinneus
2006-05-30, 02:02 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this comic.
Wouldn't "getting over herself" involve kissing Elan?
Also, I'd really like to see Haley's speech-problem resolved. It's kind of hard to get my friends to read the comic when they can never understand one character's speech.

Holy_Knight
2006-05-30, 02:28 PM
It's becasue Haley's an archer. She's a female who uses a bow--a "bow chick" in the vernacular. She's also a really good shot with it, which means that (again, in common parlance) it "wows" people to see her shoot. As several people pointed out she is actually carrying her bow in this strip, and she also metaphorically "shot down" her self-loathing, both in rejecting its ideas and influence, and in the more literal sense that it is no longer floating in the air. Thus, the phrase is used to describe her--with an extra "a" sound for purposes of rhythm--yielding "bow chicka bow wow", Q.E.D.

No, I too enjoyed this subplot. However, I don't think it's really going to remain unresolved, and I agree with Carais that if it does, it will be implausible. Not necessarily as it relates to Haley herself, but to another facet of the whole thing, which for the last few comics I haven't felt has made much sense. My guess is that it will probably be cleared up pretty soon though.

Yes they were, which was why I pointed out before that she isn't really gone. They literally put her back in Haley's head.

Haley's never going to get her voice back. The clerics and her "dark side" have told her what she needs to do to cure herself, and it's been demonstrated she'll never do it, so we're stuck with gibberish forever. >:(
I disagree. Her self-loathing's plan was a bad one, because it was specifically designed to still give her a way to deny the feelings she was supposedly trying to reveal. Given that her self-loathing is the reason she's afraid to tell Elan she loves him in the first place, I think this is actually the only way there's a chance that she will get her speech back.

Finally, about the blonde self-reliance thing: I was confused about this first, but here's what I've decided. Haley herself is self-reliant in a lot of ways, but she also loathes herself in a lot of ways. As a person she comprises both, so the way she actually appears is midway in between how the other two are represented: Red in between black and blonde, and brown in between black and white. This also works to a lesser extent with her optimism and "get back to comedy" sides. Her "cute, but functional" ponytail is arguably what you'd get by combining the cutesy pigtails of Optimism with the no-nonsense short cut of Carpediem.

Veg Sorbet
2006-05-30, 02:31 PM
I liked this one. (Okay, I’ll admit, I’ve liked pretty much all of 'em... ::))

Interesting to see the other parts of Haley's consciousness.

I'm still torn on the explanation for the blonde version - I quite like the idea of it having been based off her mother, but the other theory, regarding her being a complete antithesis of the self-loathing 'personality' also has some merit.

tee_kay_one
2006-05-30, 03:39 PM
(...) moving the plotline forward -- they've been mired too long in Sapphire City and I want to see what's next on the agenda.

possible spoiler starts here:
Hmm, there is still this army of goblins marching towards the city. Maybe they will be mired longer and longer -- when the city is under siege?

Ghull_Ka
2006-05-30, 03:48 PM
Ok I admit it.

Haley's sense of comedy is a hottie. :-* <3

There, I said it. ;D

Argent
2006-05-30, 03:59 PM
possible spoiler starts here: (snip)

I see what you're saying, TK1 - when I say 'mired', I mean more in the plotline than in the actual location. It's a lot like a weekly television series -- I enjoy story-arc episodes (that advance the overall plot) more than the one-off "monster of the week" episodes. Just my preference.

Felinoid
2006-05-30, 04:09 PM
It was good, and I'm glad to see Haley standing up to that bi-atchy self-loathing. I'd say WOOT, but for some reason I just don't feel like it. ??? Maybe it's the heat. *shrug*

RE: Haley's self-confidence
Confident enough to be called blond bimbo (knowing it's not true, of course)? :P After all, white clothes are the best for wet T-shirt events. ;)

RE: Haley's optimism
A kid. Right. ::) Because adults can't be optimistic.
Though come to think of it, I haven't met anyone that I would call both optimistic and "adult". :D

RE: The 'new one'
At first I thought it was actually supposed to be a guy (one's chorus need not all be of the same gender), until I saw the boob-bump. Still like her despite the short hair, for the attitude, and I suppose subconsciously also for the validation. The punchline crack made me "heh" at first, but now for some reason I kinda don't like it, possibly because it references people I don't agree with. Who knew my subconscious was so hypocritical? :P

The end result is a sudden and jarring resolution such as "the next two thousand years in 45 minutes" or "Haley just decides to get over it" or, in my case, "fatal space monkey exploding flu" (don't ask).

I'm afraid I simply must ask. Because that sounds just too dang funny not to hear. XD

tee_kay_one
2006-05-30, 04:40 PM
I see what you're saying, TK1 - when I say 'mired', I mean more in the plotline than in the actual location. It's a lot like a weekly television series -- I enjoy story-arc episodes (that advance the overall plot) more than the one-off "monster of the week" episodes. Just my preference.

Yeah, I see what you mean, same with me. Was just drifting to another topic I guess. The TV series comparison... I'm glad this webcomic is in many things unlike a TV series. There's a lot of typical TV-series writing style things I really, really dislike. But then again, maybe I don't watch enough TV and missed the good ones.

tee_kay_one
2006-05-30, 04:42 PM
Though come to think of it, I haven't met anyone that I would call both optimistic and "adult".

that's a sad thing, mainly because I have the feeling it's true. I thought about the same thing when I saw "little Haley". It's a pity we all get so jaded with every year that's passing. Please, anyone tell me that it reaches a maximum level sometime... :-[

snelson66
2006-05-30, 04:55 PM
As long as this is all internal dialogue and she doesn't go all Sybil on us, Multiple-Personality Haley rocks! And Comedy Haley is cute too. *sigh* I need to get out of the office more.

Comic rocks as usual, Giant. Kudos.

snelson66
2006-05-30, 04:56 PM
that's a sad thing, mainly because I have the feeling it's true. I thought about the same thing when I saw "little Haley". It's a pity we all get so jaded with every year that's passing. Please, anyone tell me that it reaches a maximum level sometime... :-[
40 yrs old and still pessimistic. No end in sight.

Daniel_Q
2006-05-30, 05:07 PM
It's good to see haley doing something positive, an alright comic overall

More importantly, i agree with those who think short haired Comedy Haley is the cutest! ;D

tee_kay_one
2006-05-30, 05:44 PM
40 yrs old and still pessimistic. No end in sight.

nooooooooooo.... but why? (This it barely related to the comic, I know) But, doesn't all this accumulated wisdom tell us, things eventually tend to sort out. live goes on. stuff like that? it seems, and getting the curve back to haley, people only remember the bad things in live really long. me included. why can't we construct our personalities around the positive memories?

ah, never mind... :-[

Felinoid
2006-05-30, 06:45 PM
Bah, that's not what I meant at all. Only that most of the optimistic people...just never grow up. :)

/me throws his spaghetti at tee_kay_one's head and sticks his tongue out

cleric_of_BANJO
2006-05-30, 07:35 PM
I hate to interrupt the very interesting conversation, but I have two points to make before you guys go nuts and start throwing fruit at me and booing :). First of all, I thought that I could really get off topic, but you people make me feel really good about myself, since you can go off-topic better than proffesionals probably can. I mean, I know it has to do with the comic, but, I mean, everyone is saying things that have been said before already! I know that I am probably the weird one here, but I've read all 13 pages, and only a few posts weren't repeated.

Thank you, and please don't use up more than one page telling me to go home and to shut up :).

ladybright
2006-05-30, 07:52 PM
I hate to interrupt the very interesting conversation, but I have two points to make before you guys go nuts and start throwing fruit at me and booing :). First of all, I thought that I could really get off topic, but you people make me feel really good about myself, since you can go off-topic better than proffesionals probably can. I mean, I know it has to do with the comic, but, I mean, everyone is saying things that have been said before already! I know that I am probably the weird one here, but I've read all 13 pages, and only a few posts weren't repeated.

Thank you, and please don't use up more than one page telling me to go home and to shut up :).

As much as I dispise trhe cult of BANJO He does have a point. My post was just saying that I really liked the strip even if I did not find it funny.

BURNhollywoodBURN
2006-05-30, 08:01 PM
ouch. (http://haleys.imaginary.personification.of.her.self.loath ing.justgotowned.com/)

I have a question.

She also speaks that way to her self loathing. The reason is that she's pretty much just talking to herself, and in the last panel she was talking to the comedy guy(or girl?).

Edit: I love customizing quotes for my own use! MUAHAHAHA!
Edit 2: spot the 2 edits that were ok id ontfe ellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllikewwwwwwwwwriiiitt tttttttinnnnnngosdjdrhghejhgiueurthityiuryguiyt

LurkerBeneath
2006-05-30, 08:25 PM
I, for one, am glad to see Haley getting in touch with her upbeat side once again. Abc db, defg!

Kord
2006-05-30, 08:41 PM
Personally, this comic was kinda a dissapointment. I would have rather had Haley fix her speech problem in a more dramatic way. Ohwell...the Haley speech thing was a little dragged out, so I guess it was good to resolve it.

And you can't have Haley tell Elan just yet! I mean, there's like hundreds of more comics to come!

Solstice
2006-05-30, 09:12 PM
One thing that occured to me today, and which really doesn't matter, I guess, but which I will still point out 'cuz I can...

The much loved and despised short-hair Haley is NOT comedy Haley, even though that's easier to type. She's, quite specifically, Sick-Of-All-This-Emo Haley. She's NEW, remember? ;)

charik
2006-05-30, 09:35 PM
One thing that occured to me today, and which really doesn't matter, I guess, but which I will still point out 'cuz I can...

The much loved and despised short-hair Haley is NOT comedy Haley, even though that's easier to type. She's, quite specifically, Sick-Of-All-This-Emo Haley. She's NEW, remember? ;)
And, since I can ;), I'll point out that she's very specifically SOATE,Let's-Get-Back-To-Comedy Haley.

As to the issue of youth and optimism, I'll just add that I'm 43 and, as my sig on another board says, "I'm not a professional cynic; I do this out of the goodness of my heart" ;D

Kish
2006-05-30, 09:51 PM
I'm not going to suggest adding, "No, Haley did not regain her normal speech in #319" to the FAQ, only because that particular meme is unlikely to live much longer than strip #320.

Steward
2006-05-30, 09:58 PM
I'm not going to suggest adding, "No, Haley did not regain her normal speech in #319" to the FAQ, only because that particular meme is unlikely to live much longer than strip #320.

She could have thought-bubbled if she hadn't at least learned how to say that one speech.

(Hey, maybe Haley will have to learn how to speak Common again, as well as burning feats and skill points to get back all of her other languages, phrase by phrase! ::)

Bilbo27
2006-05-30, 11:07 PM
Yes, Haleys voice is back, no more cryptograms. Love it, (alter egos) Laughing all morning.

charik
2006-05-31, 12:16 AM
AArrggg! Maybe if all of us pm everyone who posts "Haley's got her speech back!" we can convince people to read a thread before posting to it!

And let me be the first to say, here on the East Coast of the US it's now almost 15 minutes into Wednesday; where's our next fix? ! ? >:(

No, I don't really mean that. ::)

The Doctor
2006-05-31, 03:12 AM
Aw. I was so hoping on getting Haley cured...

tee_kay_one
2006-05-31, 04:03 AM
Bah, that's not what I meant at all. Only that most of the optimistic people...just never grow up. :)

/me throws his spaghetti at tee_kay_one's head and sticks his tongue out

**snatches noodle out of midair**
ha, good to see someone with a positive mindset. Make's me cheer up a bit, with all the rain and lots of work here... :)

Delgarde
2006-05-31, 06:42 AM
AArrggg! Maybe if all of us pm everyone who posts "Haley's got her speech back!" we can convince people to read a thread before posting to it!

Problem is, people read maybe the first page or two, and the last page before posting. As the thread gets bigger, they can't be bothered reading it all, so they miss the bit on page 6 or whatever where the Giant has already corrected them.

I think the Giant needs to add something to his first post on the thread, since at least most people read that...

charik
2006-05-31, 08:58 AM
Problem is, people read maybe the first page or two, and the last page before posting. As the thread gets bigger, they can't be bothered reading it all, so they miss the bit on page 6 or whatever where the Giant has already corrected them.

I think the Giant needs to add something to his first post on the thread, since at least most people read that...

I doubt some of these people read any of it before posting; the one that ignited my aarrgg response was posted more than an hour after a post two previous stating that her speach wasn't cured.

But your solution is probably the best; maybe if the Giant's first post in the thread says more than "New comic is up" it will catch people's eyes before they post a response.

... Nah.

uranium194
2006-05-31, 11:48 AM
Id have to agree with the posting on the first page too, becasue I know I will start skipping most long threads, becasue they get so off topic and rediculous that its a waste of time to read all the postings.

humanpylon
2006-05-31, 02:08 PM
I guess the way I look at it is the longer it takes to resolve this subplot, the longer it will take to get to the main plot, and therefore the more overall strips we get, which means it will take longer before the series is over, which is a good thing. :)

Did that make any sense?

Morchaint
2006-05-31, 02:14 PM
well I have a solution. when you post, first, look below the square that you type in. and read all the posts, as they are all in short form ( no sigs or avatars etc) and catch up to what others have said BEFORE you finish posting what youve said. yea you may not get first page unless you happen to be lucky or have a good computer but I bet, that my suggestion, if followed... will lead to less repetition of posts.
and more understanding.

Edit: yes, humanpylon it did make sense.

humanpylon
2006-05-31, 02:21 PM
Edit: yes, humanpylon it did make sense.

Yay! I'm coherent! ;D

uranium194
2006-05-31, 02:27 PM
Yay! I'm coherent! ;D

not sure I understand you ;D

molonel
2006-05-31, 04:07 PM
T-minus 1 comic until we get past all of Haley's post teenage angst, and the story stops dragging. Thank the gods. I was worried for a bit that this was going to turn into a webcomic based off of White Wolf, or something like that.

Anyone else drumming your fingers, and occasionally hitting refresh on the comic page?

humanpylon
2006-05-31, 04:09 PM
not sure I understand you ;D

The sad thing is if I say something that people don't understand, it's my own damn fault because english is my first language.

molonel
2006-05-31, 04:11 PM
The sad thing is if I say something that people don't understand, it's my own damn fault because english is my first language.

Either that, or the other person is simply stupid.

That's generally what I assume.

TinSoldier
2006-05-31, 04:13 PM
T-minus 1 comic until we get past all of Haley's post teenage angst, and the story stops dragging. Thank the gods. I was worried for a bit that this was going to turn into a webcomic based off of White Wolf, or something like that.

Anyone else drumming your fingers, and occasionally hitting refresh on the comic page?I haven't started refreshing the comic yet. I'm still just hanging out here watching for interesting threads and ignoring the uninteresting ones/ones that were once interesting but the participants don't quite realize they're dead yet.

Corylus
2006-05-31, 04:14 PM
Anyone else drumming your fingers, and occasionally hitting refresh on the comic page?
Yup & if it doesn't appear soon it'll be too late for me and I shall have to be among the 'johnny come lates' tomorrow morning.

TinSoldier
2006-05-31, 04:16 PM
I want to see molonel post "woot! First page! Best comic Evar11!!" ;D

Bilbo27
2006-05-31, 05:01 PM

And let me be the first to say, here on the East Coast of the US it's now almost 15 minutes into Wednesday; where's our next fix? ! ? >:(

No, I don't really mean that. ::)
Let me believe in my own little world that it is back. I don't need to read 14 pages of ramble to post my opinion. I know it is probably not cured, but let me have my piece of fantasy---ok. Thanks

molonel
2006-05-31, 05:07 PM
I want to see molonel post "woot! First page! Best comic Evar11!!" ;D

I can't say that's outside the realm of possibility, but it would have to be a pretty damn good comic.

Steward
2006-05-31, 05:15 PM
Hey, at least Haley finally managed to stand up to that horrible wraith.

theKOT
2006-05-31, 05:16 PM
I'm not so sure Molonel. The strip says she will settle it in her own time and in her own way. That doesn't exactly scream "in the next strip" to me. Sorry to burst your bubble.... I wish it was so to.

Ted_Stryker
2006-05-31, 05:43 PM
I'm not so sure Molonel. The strip says she will settle it in her own time and in her own way. That doesn't exactly scream "in the next strip" to me. Sorry to burst your bubble.... I wish it was so to.
I think he is counting down from a remark Rich made about getting back to the action in a set number of strips. Four strips, I think, and it was three strips ago when he mentioned it.

Whether there is a resolution to Haley's problems by next strip is anyone's guess, but the date scenes are drawing to a close.

humanpylon
2006-05-31, 05:50 PM
I can't say that's outside the realm of possibility, but it would have to be a pretty damn good comic.

Just for my own curiosity, are there any strips from the archives that would make you post "yay best strip ever"?

molonel
2006-05-31, 06:02 PM
Just for my own curiosity, are there any strips from the archives that would make you post "yay best strip ever"?

If I say "Yes" then you're just going to ask which ones, right?

Steward
2006-05-31, 06:21 PM
If I say "Yes" then you're just going to ask which ones, right?

No. We'll just sit here, burning with curiosity.

In fact, I can promise you that we will all personally be as cool and calm about it as we would be if The Giant announced tomorrow that he's sick of the Order of the Strip and is going to stop production of the comic strips and dismantle this website.

armatil
2006-05-31, 06:45 PM
No. We'll just sit here, burning with curiosity.

In fact, I can promise you that we will all personally be as cool and calm about it as we would be if The Giant announced tomorrow that he's sick of the Order of the Strip and is going to stop production of the comic strips and dismantle this website.
got ranks in craft disturbing mental image? ;)

SalSar_Thiran
2006-05-31, 06:51 PM
got ranks in craft disturbing mental image?

No, but he clearly took the feat.

I would like to see the action start up but this segment has been interesting (being a 21 yearld who has't had a girlfriend, its interesting to know what women like to think of themselves.).

CelestialStick
2006-05-31, 06:57 PM

Especially after Rick specifically posted to the thread to say that Haley's speech problem hasn't been fixed yet.

I guess the way I look at it is the longer it takes to resolve this subplot, the longer it will take to get to the main plot, and therefore the more overall strips we get, which means it will take longer before the series is over, which is a good thing. :)Did that make any sense?
Yes, and some of us actually like the character development and the subplots. :)

Now, was that a transparent bubble, or has Haley's aphasia been cured? ;)

charik
2006-05-31, 09:53 PM
Can't speak for him, but for me two from the archives and one from OtOoPC made me laugh out loud for at least five minutes (and, as I read them in the wee hours of the morning in my apartment {cheap inns mean thin walls}, probably had my neighbors wondering): H & V being overheard by the boys, H & co. 'rescuing' E, and the Order's very first melee with a group of kobolds.

cleric_of_BANJO
2006-05-31, 09:59 PM
Now, was that a transparent bubble, or has Haley's aphasia been cured? ;)

hilarious. I just hope nobody misunderstands the sarcasm. Actually, I guess I do want someone to misunderstand it ;D. Hehe, another 15 strip discussion about something that has already been proven wrong over 5 times. Truly funny.

HINT: For all you idiots reading this (that doesn't mean everyone, just the idiots) the text quoted here is not real for G-ds sake, and if anyone starts a 15 page long discussion then I will swear I will pull a Belkar!

PS: I made a post on page 13, and I want to thank everyone for hiding your hate and actually not booing me. I think someone agreed with me actually...

charik
2006-05-31, 10:25 PM
PS: I made a post on page 13, and I want to thank everyone for hiding your hate and actually not booing me. I think someone agreed with me actually...
Oh, go home and shut up. :P
making me go back and reread what that post was...

Mal_the_Mad
2006-05-31, 10:56 PM
Oh, go home and shut up. :P
making me go back and reread what that post was...

saves typing :P

BlythraB
2006-05-31, 11:00 PM
I was glad to see that optimistic Hayley is modest (no midriff). Other than that:
I loved it!

I just want to meet the one who comes up with snippy comebacks...

Mal_the_Mad
2006-06-01, 12:00 AM
ahh yes , no prostatot wear. I really hate that its sold in a store near you. but hey who said 12 year olds cant dress like paris hilton, or any other of that wonderful pop scene. gah

Maelstrom
2006-06-01, 12:05 AM
Usually

The Giant
2006-06-01, 12:07 AM
The comic is coming...one panel is taking longer with the art than I expected. It should be done in 20-30 minutes.

TheWanderingLlama
2006-06-01, 12:08 AM
Art that takes a while...must be good!

starwoof
2006-06-01, 12:09 AM
Its OOTS. Of course its good.

TheWanderingLlama
2006-06-01, 12:11 AM
I mean better than usual.

Lloyd
2006-06-01, 12:14 AM
No worries, Giant. It's usually worth the wait...

Personally, I think it's going to be a montage of everyone getting ready to leave, or the Giant's going to change gears and head back to the Linear Guild for a bit. As sad as I am to say it, I think the Haley subplot is through for a while. Anyone else got last minute ideas?

TheWanderingLlama
2006-06-01, 12:23 AM
No worries, Giant. It's usually worth the wait...

Personally, I think it's going to be a montage of everyone getting ready to leave, or the Giant's going to change gears and head back to the Linear Guild for a bit. As sad as I am to say it, I think the Haley subplot is through for a while. Anyone else got last minute ideas?

I think it's going to switch the giant space cats controlling them.

Silverpearl
2006-06-01, 12:38 AM
Rock on... ;D

Eriol
2006-06-01, 12:40 AM
30 mins past...

;)

j/k Giant. Just waiting with baited breath is all.

Mal_the_Mad
2006-06-01, 12:45 AM
refresh refresh refresh the comics page....

402 error ack
dun dun dun

oh wait thats 502

Solmage
2006-06-01, 12:53 AM

Yes. Just before you die.

:D

Actually, at one point you have to make a conscious choice, do you want to make an extra effort to see the good in (some) people and take the leap of faith that not everyone has a hidden agenda/it's not pointless to try to X/not everyone is corrupt/etc, or do you want to carry on as you are.

I once heard a tale, and chances are it's based on an actual folklore or something, so my apologies in advance for mutilating it, but anyway the gist of it is this:

A man was sitting at the entrance of to a city, watching travelers approach.

One such traveler asked him about the city. Before replying, the man asked about the city they had left behind. Hearing all sorts of dread and horror stories about the other city's corruption, untrustworthy people, and so on, the man seemed satisfied and told the travelers they should continue their wanderings, for they would only find the same things in this city.

A second traveler approached and asked about the city, and he too was questioned about his origins. The traveler replied his home town was beautiful and full of good, helpful people. Sure they had their faults, but most tried their best. The man satisfied by this reply, welcomed the traveler and invited him to stay, saying he would find this city to be like the one he came from.

This very wordy anecdote can be thus summarized: Sure, common sense is nice and dandy, but giving-in to mistrust is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Kontonshin
2006-06-01, 01:34 AM
I never heard the word "emo" before reading the boards here. I gather it's an abbreviation for "emotional?"

It's a reference to a particularly annoying musical genre / fashion subculture. Think punk with more whining for the music, and goth with less pretension for the fashion.

{cranky geezer voice} Damn kids... when I was *your* age we didn't even go out dancing unless we were done up in full Victorian mourning dress. {end cranky geezer voice}

Holy_Knight
2006-06-01, 02:00 AM
I once heard a tale, and chances are it's based on an actual folklore or something, so my apologies in advance for mutilating it, but anyway the gist of it is this:

A man was sitting at the entrance of to a city, watching travelers approach.

One such traveler asked him about the city. Before replying, the man asked about the city they had left behind. Hearing all sorts of dread and horror stories about the other city's corruption, untrustworthy people, and so on, the man seemed satisfied and told the travelers they should continue their wanderings, for they would only find the same things in this city.

A second traveler approached and asked about the city, and he too was questioned about his origins. The traveler replied his home town was beautiful and full of good, helpful people. Sure they had their faults, but most tried their best. The man satisfied by this reply, welcomed the traveler and invited him to stay, saying he would find this city to be like the one he came from.

This very wordy anecdote can be thus summarized: Sure, common sense is nice and dandy, but giving-in to mistrust is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

That's a good tale, Solmage. I like it. I also think I've heard it somewhere before too, but like you, I can't say where exactly.

CelestialStick
2006-06-01, 10:42 AM
It's a reference to a particularly annoying musical genre / fashion subculture. Think punk with more whining for the music, and goth with less pretension for the fashion.

{cranky geezer voice} Damn kids... when I was *your* age we didn't even go out dancing unless we were done up in full Victorian mourning dress. {end cranky geezer voice}

LOL! Thanks for the explanation. Whenever I hear "emo" I think "Devo." ;)

molonel
2006-06-01, 01:07 PM
LOL! Thanks for the explanation. Whenever I hear "emo" I think "Devo." ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28slang%29