PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Feats that Should be Fighter Bonus Feats (3.5)

SirNibbles
2018-04-21, 09:33 PM
I was reading through the Player's Handbook II and noticed that the feats Crushing Strike (page 78), Driving Attack (page 78), and Slashing Flurry (page 83) didn't have the Fighter Bonus Feat designation, even though they'd be perfect candidates. They requires Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Weapon Mastery, +14 BAB, and are feats that give bonuses to melee combat. They're pretty much Fighter Capstone feats, albeit not very good ones.

I would houserule them to be Fighter Bonus Feats. Are there any other feats for which you would do the same?

__

That was an editing error. The fighter bonus designation was added in the errata.

"Page 75-86 – Feats [Omission]
Bounding Assault, Crushing Strike, Driving Attack, Overwhelming Assault, Rapid Blitz, Slashing Flurry, and Weapon Supremacy should indicate that a fighter may select the feat as a fighter bonus feat."

Thanks for that.

__

Feats others have mentioned:
Toughness (Player's Handbook, page 101)
Mage Slayer (Complete Arcane, page 81)
Knockdown (Sword and Fist, page 7)
Stand Still (Expanded Psionics Handbook, page 51)
Great Fortitude (Player's Handbook, page 94)
Iron Will (Player's Handbook, page 97)
Lightning Reflexes (Player's Handbook, page 97)
Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle, page 33)
Snap Kick (Tome of Battle, page 32)

Covenant12
2018-04-21, 09:41 PM
Springing to mind are feats that make beatsticks not auto-ignored by their caster overlords.

Mage Slayer, Knockdown, Stand Still.

Really if I was DM'ing and had someone take more than two fighter levels I'd be extremely generous on what fighter bonus feats could be used for. The narrow list doesn't help fighters, and they need the help.

Celestia
2018-04-21, 09:42 PM
Toughness. Its not a good feat, but I bet most people are surprised that it's not a fighter bonus feat. I believe Endurance isn't, either.

daremetoidareyo
2018-04-21, 09:44 PM
The three save boosting feats should be as well: great fortitude, iron will, the reflexes one.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-04-21, 09:54 PM
I was reading through the Player's Handbook II and noticed that the feats Crushing Strike (page 78), Driving Attack (page 78), and Slashing Flurry (page 83) didn't have the Fighter Bonus Feat designation, even though they'd be perfect candidates. They requires Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Weapon Mastery, +14 BAB, and are feats that give bonuses to melee combat. They're pretty much Fighter Capstone feats, albeit not very good ones.

I would houserule them to be Fighter Bonus Feats. Are there any other feats for which you would do the same?

That was an editing error. The fighter bonus designation was added in the errata.

Vizzerdrix
2018-04-21, 10:08 PM
Toughness. Its not a good feat, but I bet most people are surprised that it's not a fighter bonus feat. I believe Endurance isn't, either.

I will second this. Oddly, I think Improved Toughness is.

BowStreetRunner
2018-04-21, 10:40 PM

I will second this. Oddly, I think Improved Toughness is.
That's okay, I usually just replace Toughness with Improved Toughness in the games I DM anyway.

Vizzerdrix
2018-04-21, 11:02 PM
That's okay, I usually just replace Toughness with Improved Toughness in the games I DM anyway.

On that note, the 3.0 line of toughness feats. I wish they had made a comeback as fighter bonus feats.

ATHATH
2018-04-21, 11:53 PM
Honestly, every feat should be a Fighter Bonus Feat- Fighters need all of the help that they can get.

Fluff-wise, rather than balance-wise... I dunno.

Venger
2018-04-22, 02:09 AM
The three save boosting feats should be as well: great fortitude, iron will, the reflexes one.

lightning reflexes is what it's called

Darrin
2018-04-22, 04:59 PM
Superior Unarmed Strike and Snap Kick. Drives me nuts that these aren't FBFs.

SirNibbles
2018-04-22, 05:52 PM
Feats others have mentioned:
Toughness (Player's Handbook, page 101)
Since Improved Toughness (Complete Warrior, page 101) is a Fighter Bonus Feat, this makes sense.

Mage Slayer (Complete Arcane, page 81)

Knockdown (Sword and Fist, page 7)
A tactical feat from a Fighter splatbook? Nah. Fighters can't have nice things

Stand Still (Expanded Psionics Handbook, page 51)
Should be fine.

Great Fortitude (Player's Handbook, page 94)
Iron Will (Player's Handbook, page 97)
Lightning Reflexes (Player's Handbook, page 97)
These three are definitely more general-type feats, but it's not like the fighter is going to be overpowered if he can pick these up as bonus feats.

Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle, page 33)
Snap Kick (Tome of Battle, page 32)
Fighter Monks don't get to have nice things.

ben-zayb
2018-04-22, 07:22 PM
IMO any feat which has a feat prerequisite that is a Fighter bonus feat, and has no other class-specific prerequisite, should automatically be also a Fighter bonus feat.

This means you actually include plenty of feats from Complete Warrior, such as the grappling-related ones, unarmed-related ones, and most importantly Karmic Strike