PDA

View Full Version : Thought on vorpal knight

astrerouge
2018-04-21, 10:05 PM
Hi everyone, I'm playing a d&d 3.5 game right now, using elements from pathfinder subjected to dm approval and my last character died when a chimera fell on him.

While looking, i found the vorpal knight :http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/d20pfsrd-com-publishing/vorpal-knight/
I've always like blue mage type character and this seems to do a really nice job at it.

The dm has agreed to it but with the caveat that i can't get casting from this class (which if i understand correctly, i could do ,which seems kind of absurd) and that some abilities would get their damage tweaked if it was over my level in dice number (lvl/dx basically) as well as having natural attack scale from size, so getting natural attack from a colossal creature would get its medium equivalent (assuming i'm medium)

Does anyone have experience with the class? Any tweak you believe should be done to balance it? In my case i'd be lvl 5 in a party of 3, one is a dread necro necropolitain (my brother, and he like to make really strong character), the other is starting a swordsage (he is the least experienced of the group, like his last character was a knight with thoughness 2 time as feats, since he wanted to be a tank) and I was thinking about going daelkyr halfblood, playing as an assimilating aberration who basically want to become the monster that monsters fear simply to spite his progenitor, as daelkyr are monster crafter

One ability i really want is the yrthak sonic blast and the dm has agreed that once i get it i could use both usage of it since they are fundamentally the same.

i begin play with five essence: 3 from 5hd monsters, 1 from a monster 6 or 7 hd and one from an 8hd monster
Was thinking of taking the troglodyte ac at first (even tho i wont get its full extent for a while) other than that i dont know but im lainly looking for unique ability, thing like the yrthak sound blast or mind flayer mind blast, but i haven't looked outside mm1 yet, does any one have any idea?

Also what feat do you believe would be good, assuming as feat progression like pathfinder 1 at lvl 1 then at each even levels? i checked feats from the book where it come from and they dont seem at all worth it. I was thinking about asking the dm for a feat that would let me get special qualities too if i found anything unique or interesting there and hhe didnt seem adverse to it but said that it would probably be at 1 quality per feat and would count toward my essence and not be a bonus essence, also that all ability and quality would be subject to approval and/or tweaking

Thanks in advance for the help, and if you want feel free to share what monstrous combination you'd do.

Grollub
2019-04-01, 10:35 PM
I was lookin at the vorpal knight.. and if i understand it correctly.. here is some cool things to suck the souls from/abilities to get

Pixie: Flight 60ft, DR10/cold iron
Troll: Regeneration 5(Fire/acid)(Ex), Scent 30ft
Ogre Spider: Immune Mind-Affecting, Tremorsense 60ft
Dire Crocodile: +15 natural armor
Neh-thalggu: Brain Collection(Ex): store 7 brains; +7 insight bonus to AC, Concentration, Knowledge checks

StSword
2019-04-01, 11:06 PM
Well something to keep in mind is that the Vorpal Knight has a level limit on aspects of the same type.

So at fifth level, you can only have two special attacks.

So the natural suggestion is to find two special attacks that complement each other for a nasty combo.

And no, the Vorpal Knight doesn't get you casting, it gives you access to spell like abilities as aspects. So a fifth level Vorpal Knight would have access to a maximum of two spell like abilities.

You have five essences, as a base, since you said your DM might allow you to add more. So my suggestion would be two special attacks, two natural attacks, and +3 Natural Armor.

Honestly it sounds like Vorpal Knight isn't the class you really want, though.

For real Blue Mage action take a look at the Bio-Mancer class- At fifth level, the Bio-Mancer has seven enemy skills that can be gleamed from monsters- 1 they can do per day, 2 they can do per encounter, and 4 at will abilities.

Or the Battle Augur who is a spellcaster who can at fifth level, have Intelligence modifier plus 2 spells that are in fact mimicked monster abilities.

I'd link the Battle Augur to their page on the d20PFSRD but alas I'm still too much of a noob to do that. It's in the Samurai Sheepdog section if anyone is curious.