PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder ranger switch hitter/ crossbow combat style build question

huginn
2018-04-22, 01:31 AM
I am creating a 1st level ranger for a pathfinder group and I am interested in trying a crossbow combat style. The DM wasn't going to use the advanced players book but I ask if I can use the crossbow style and feats and she said yes
I understand that crossbow is not suppose to as good as archery but this wont be a problem as this wont be a campaign with high optimization and no one is a powergamer

This is my first attempt at pathfinder and after reading Treantmonk's Guide to Rangers I like to modify switch hitter to include crossbow
I made a human ranger and with her point buy system I can have 16 in str and dex and I still have a +2 I can add to a stat
I noticed that if I pick archery style lets me pick crossbow mastery
For feats

1st level )power attack,quick draw
2nd)combat style pick archery and get rapid shot
3rd level feat)cleave
5th level feat)deadly aim
6) combat style feat crossbow mastery heavy crossbow
Due to rapid shot I can fire 2 bolts per round starting at 6th correct?

Due to my lack of experience with pathfinder/3.x I am not sure if I should replace quick draw with something else
I pick greatsword as my main melee weapon unless someone can point out a better one

Geddy2112
2018-04-24, 07:04 AM
Looks pretty solid. When you hit 6th level with rapid shot you get three attacks. Crossbow mastery allows you to shoot your crossbow as many times as you have attacks, meaning that you can take as many shots that you get based on bab, so 2 attacks at level 6 for a ranger. Rapid shot adds a third attack at full bab with a -2 to each roll.

You might want precise shot in your build eventually, although for a switch hitter it is far less important. Great cleave would be another good choice. Great sword is good, but a reach weapon with cleave and combat reflexes might also be worth a look.