PDA

View Full Version : Stoneskin-like effects?

Uncle Pine
2018-04-22, 02:38 AM
Stoneskin
Abjuration
Level: Drd 5, Earth 6, Sor/Wiz 4, Strength 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 10 min./level or until discharged
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
The warded creature gains resistance to blows, cuts, stabs, and slashes. The subject gains damage reduction 10/adamantine. (It ignores the first 10 points of damage each time it takes damage from a weapon, though an adamantine weapon bypasses the reduction.) Once the spell has prevented a total of 10 points of damage per caster level (maximum 150 points), it is discharged.

Material Component
Granite and 250 gp worth of diamond dust sprinkled on the target’s skin.

Is there any other spell, feat, class feature or effect that generates something similar to the above (preventing X points of damage, then discharging)? I couldn't think of any, but I would be interested in finding more to see if there's an alternative way to build dischargeable energy shields using magic in d&d.

Dimers
2018-04-22, 02:43 AM
Protection from arrows, protection from energy, spell turning ...

Spell Compendium: Effulgent Epuration, Energy Spheres

XPH: Energy Conversion

BoED: Energetic Healing

MIC: crystal of arrow deflection and iron ward diamond

Celestia
2018-04-22, 02:44 AM
Protection from Arrows does that, as well.

Khedrac
2018-04-22, 05:39 AM
And don't forget Heart of Earth which can be discharged to create a stoneskin effect without the costly component.

Uncle Pine
2018-04-22, 05:58 AM
Thanks all, I've also realized Vigor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/vigor.htm) provides a similar effect (except you're still technically taking all the damage, although subtracting it from temporary hit points). One could easily describe Vigor effects, either from manifesting the power itself or from using psionic items/dorjes/tattoos, as creating a short-lasting energy shield.

ShurikVch
2018-04-22, 10:47 AM
Dragon #300 have the Corpsebond spell (Cleric 6, Sorcerer/Wizard 5)
Damage inflicted to the caster is divided equally between the caster and the corpse; corpse have 5 hp/CL, and can be repaired like any other Undead
Warning: this spell is very Evil and :smallyuk: (considering the nature of "bounding"), and have Drug component

death390
2018-04-22, 09:21 PM
problem with vigor effects is that temp HP doesn't stack AT ALL just higher is used.

mabriss lethe
2018-04-22, 09:36 PM
Diamondskin Decanter? (I'm afb, so i don't remember precisely how it works)

Anthrowhale
2018-04-22, 09:55 PM
Ice Shield is very similar except DR 15/-.

Uncle Pine
2018-04-23, 12:45 AM
Diamondskin Decanter? (I'm afb, so i don't remember precisely how it works)

I have no clue what that is or where it's from. Could you double check the name or source when you have the chance?

Ramza00
2018-04-23, 12:55 AM
I have no clue what that is or where it's from. Could you double check the name or source when you have the chance?

Diamondskin Decanter is from Magic Item Compedium Page 156.

It is a slotless magic item that cost 5,000 gp if you buy it, or 2,500 gp if you craft it with craft wondrous item, and having the prerequsite spell stoneskin.

It has 3 charges so you can use it with 1 person, 2 people, or 3 people. The charges give you DR2/adamantine , or DR3/adamantine, or DR4/adamantine depending on how much charges you use. The duration is 1 hour or until you absorb 20, 30, or 40 damage depending on how many charges you use.

Flavorwise the decanter you pour a liquid out that is a water / oily but it flickers and the liquid touchs a creature and then coats them in an then becomes invisibile.

Uncle Pine
2018-04-23, 01:39 AM
Diamondskin Decanter is from Magic Item Compedium Page 156.

It is a slotless magic item that cost 5,000 gp if you buy it, or 2,500 gp if you craft it with craft wondrous item, and having the prerequsite spell stoneskin.

It has 3 charges so you can use it with 1 person, 2 people, or 3 people. The charges give you DR2/adamantine , or DR3/adamantine, or DR4/adamantine depending on how much charges you use. The duration is 1 hour or until you absorb 20, 30, or 40 damage depending on how many charges you use.

Flavorwise the decanter you pour a liquid out that is a water / oily but it flickers and the liquid touchs a creature and then coats them in an then becomes invisibile.

I see, for some reason when I first googled diamondskin decanter I got googlewhacked, probably due to misspelling. Thanks! :)

Aharon
2018-04-23, 07:55 AM
problem with vigor effects is that temp HP doesn't stack AT ALL just higher is used.

Well, that's how it is usually played, but I think RAW they would stack in practice:

Same Effect More than Once in Different Strengths
In cases when two or more identical spells are operating in the same area or on the same target, but at different strengths, only the best one applies.

So if you have one vigor for 10 temp hp, and another for 15 temp hp, only the one for 15 applies. When the 15 temp hp are used up, the power ends - but the other power still applies. (I assume these rules are the same for psionics because of transparency).

Same goes for spells like False Life - the spell description mentions that multiple castings don't stack, but they technically don't need to.