PDA

View Full Version : Batman wizard and BBEG?

Yeril
2007-09-03, 10:19 AM
These are two terms ive seen floating about alot and I don't know what they mean.

Going by the context I'll assume BBEG means somthing like "Big Bad Evil Guy" but to be honest I havn't a clue, and as for batman wizard I dont know what it could mean :smallconfused:

So what does BBEG and Batman-wizard mean?

kpenguin
2007-09-03, 10:24 AM
You got BBEG spot on.

Batman wizard refers to TLN's guide to wizards, since a wizard using that guide will always win with preparation, just like the Bat.

Chronos
2007-09-03, 10:26 AM
"Big Bad Evil Guy" is correct. He's the ultimate enemy in an adventure or campaign. Xykon in Order of the Stick is an example.

Batman refers to a style of playing a wizard. The idea is that, like Batman, a good wizard is always prepared for any situation which may come up. On the battlefield, he uses few or no direct damaging spells, since damage is something which can be done by anyone in the party, and instead focuses on spells to enhance his allies (like Haste or Greater Magic Weapon), spells to control the battlefield (like Grease or various wall spells), or spells which have a chance of winning the battle instantly (like Baleful Polymorph or Finger of Death). Off the battlefield, he's the guy who teleports everyone to where they need to go, overcomes various non-combat obstacles, and casts divinations to know what you're up against (which is also important for giving him an idea what spells to prepare).

Bryn
2007-09-03, 11:03 AM
The Logic Ninja's Guide to Wizards (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18500) is, as has been said, where the Batman term originated, and the concept is explained in the guide.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-03, 11:42 AM
Consider using a Batman wizard as a BBEG.

AKA_Bait
2007-09-03, 11:47 AM
Consider using a Batman wizard as a BBEG.

If you want to kill/bore your PC's. ;-)

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-09-03, 11:53 AM
ya, a BBEG needs to use alot of AoE spells, nice flashy and damage dealing.

fireball
lightenbolt
blackfire
and so on and so forth.

Gralamin
2007-09-03, 12:00 PM

fireball
lightenbolt
blackfire
and so on and so forth.

You've never fought a manipulating BBEG have you? They would never think of using flashy spells.

MeklorIlavator
2007-09-03, 12:03 PM

fireball
lightenbolt
blackfire
and so on and so forth.

Never thought of Wall of Ice/iron/whatever as a boring spells. Or Evard's Black Tentacles. Or the Phantasmal Killer line.

AKA_Bait
2007-09-03, 12:09 PM
You've never fought a manipulating BBEG have you? They would never think of using flashy spells.

Sure they would... after they put you in a forcecage. Also, a manipulating bbeg would be better served as a Beguiler than a Batman.

Seriously though, although BBEG's don't have to blow everything up, imho a batman bbeg would probably bore and annoy the party. Thing is, a batman bbeg the party could probably never kill and certianly not without going through several annoying and probably deadly to some of the members attempts. Dominate can be ok and still fun since the PC gets to turn around and still do stuff. The save or die/lose/sucks keep at least one PC out of the fun.

Tengu
2007-09-03, 12:12 PM
Or the Phantasmal Killer line.

Save-or-die is not a good choice of a spell for the enemies PCs are supposed to face. "This either kills you or does nothing" is a good spell in Final Fantasy where ressurecting spells/items are widely available and where's no penalty for dying, but not in DND where it only frustrates the players.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-09-03, 12:47 PM
Save-or-die is not a good choice of a spell for the enemies PCs are supposed to face. "This either kills you or does nothing" is a good spell in Final Fantasy where ressurecting spells/items are widely available and where's no penalty for dying, but not in DND where it only frustrates the players.

Ah, so you're one of those DMs who like to go *real easy* on players, so that nothing ever happens to them.

Personally, I much prefer being offerred a challenge. And really, there are a lot of ways to counter save or dies. And hey, there's always Revivify. Or, heck, if your DM allows it... Revenance/Revivify.

Morty
2007-09-03, 12:54 PM
Ah, so you're one of those DMs who like to go *real easy* on players, so that nothing ever happens to them.

Personally, I much prefer being offerred a challenge. And really, there are a lot of ways to counter save or dies. And hey, there's always Revivify. Or, heck, if your DM allows it... Revenance/Revivify.

There's a (big) difference between going easy and telling them to roll and either they save, or die. There are other ways to challenge players that don't involve possibility of killing character off for good in one dice roll.

Dausuul
2007-09-03, 01:02 PM

Ah, so you're one of those DMs who likes to go *real easy* on players, by giving them ready access to resurrection magic... thereby ensuring that anything that happens to them can easily be unhappened.

I agree that if you play by RAW, with resurrection by the book (especially if revivify is permitted), save-or-die is relatively inconsequential. It can get ridiculous at high levels; I recall an incident in one campaign I played in, in which one PC died twice in the same fight and still came out alive at the end.

Me, I'd rather limit the PCs' exposure to insta-kill effects, but make sure that when they do get killed... it counts.

Roland St. Jude
2007-09-03, 02:56 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Okay, the OP's question has been answered and the rest of this thread is trending flame-y. I'm going to lock it now.