PDA

View Full Version : DM Help how do I decide which creatures are summoned? (conjure x spell)

Red Bear
2018-04-22, 04:06 PM
So officially when you cast a conjure x spell the DM is supposed to pick the creatures summoned as you can see here (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SA_Compendium_1.03.pdf).

"Specific Spells
When you cast a spell like conjure woodland beings, does the spellcaster or the DM choose the creatures that are conjured? A number of spells in the game let you sum- mon creatures. Conjure animals, conjure celestial, conjure minor elementals, and conjure woodland beings are just a few examples.
Some spells of this sort specify that the spellcaster chooses the creature conjured. For example, nd familiar gives the caster a list of animals to choose from.
Other spells of this sort let the spellcaster choose from among several broad options. For example, conjure minor elementals o ers four options. Here are the rst two:
• One elemental of challenge rating 2 or lower
• Two elementals of challenge rating 1 or lower
The design intent for options like these is that the spell- caster chooses one of them, and then the DM decides what creatures appear that t the chosen option. For example,
if you pick the second option, the DM chooses the two ele- mentals that have a challenge rating of 1 or lower.
A spellcaster can certainly express a preference for what creatures shows up, but it’s up to the DM to determine if they do. The DM will often choose creatures that are ap- propriate for the campaign and that will be fun to introduce in a scene."

So my question is: are there some tables somewhere that can help me do this by rolling a d100 or something similar?

JNAProductions
2018-04-22, 04:08 PM
Honestly, just pick something appropriate.

Or, ignore Sage Advice, let the player pick, and simply add this houserule to stop Pixie abuse:

Polymorph can turn a beast that is no higher than the initial creature's CR or level, or the caster's CR or level, whichever is lower.

Still makes Pixies a pretty great pick, but no longer does a low-level spell net you four T-Rexes.

lperkins2
2018-04-22, 05:05 PM
So, keeping the sage advice is fine. Basically, the DM gets to decide, and since it's not specified, they get to decide how they get to decide. This means there's nothing wrong with asking the player what they want, and assuming it's not something unreasonable, let them have it. If it's something that doesn't exist in the setting, or is an attempt at an exploit, give them something random.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-04-22, 05:09 PM
So, keeping the sage advice is fine. Basically, the DM gets to decide, and since it's not specified, they get to decide how they get to decide. This means there's nothing wrong with asking the player what they want, and assuming it's not something unreasonable, let them have it. If it's something that doesn't exist in the setting, or is an attempt at an exploit, give them something random.

I agree with this. I've kept loose reins on my players so far and it has worked fine. Basically as long as they're not trying to exploit things (or MM diving for power), they get to pick.