PDA

View Full Version : Intentionally failing Planar Binding/Ally (Pathfinder/3.X

Dark Kerman
2018-04-22, 05:13 PM
Hi all,

I have a question regarding Planar Binding/Ally:

How long does the creature stay called for if it has broken free of the spell? Is it that the Planar Binding spell only lasts a day a level as it assumes the creature wants to leave, or rather, if the spell fails, is it "stuck", and has to leave on it's power?

I know there is a day/level limit for open ended tasks, but it is unclear for those creatures who are just stuck in the Circle ("If the creature does not break free of the trap, you can keep it bound for as long as you dare." and "This process can be repeated until the creature promises to serve, until it breaks free, or until you decide to get rid of it by means of some other spell."), or for those that break free.

I ask as I am currently developing a character who intentionally wishes to fail a Planar Binding/Ally spell. This is so they can summon a suitable, big, destructive creature possible, then contingency/word of recall away before it has a chance to react.

The (idea) is then, that said creature would proceed to rampage at it's own leisure, destroying everything in the surroundings, and thus acting as a sort of "tactical creature bomb" for the caster. It's a plan likely to go disastrously, but the GM has approved me doing it for RP, and I am personally aware of the ways this could go wrong.

Either way, should be entertaining, and I was just wondering how long it could maraud for, assuming it wasn't put down.

Thanks,

DK

Bronk
2018-04-22, 05:26 PM
When a creature is called, it get's a one time only free ticket back to wherever it came from, but no due date. It can stay as long as it dares, influenced by whether or not it knows that death is permanent for a calling spell vs. temporary for a summoning spell.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#calling

Deophaun
2018-04-22, 05:27 PM
It's stuck. This makes elementals good targets because you don't need to negotiate if you can extract what you want from them through a cage.

When a creature is called, it get's a one time only free ticket back to wherever it came from, but no due date. It can stay as long as it dares, influenced by whether or not it knows that death is permanent for a calling spell vs. temporary for a summoning spell.
From your link:

A calling spell transports a creature from another plane to the plane you are on. The spell grants the creature the one-time ability to return to its plane of origin, although the spell may limit the circumstances under which this is possible.
Planar binding limits that to completion of the task. If there is no task, there is no ticket home.

Dark Kerman
2018-04-22, 05:48 PM
I see. Thanks for clearing that up. I was a bit baffled on that. :smallbiggrin:

This will make for a very interesting antagonist. The island he's on is about to see a reaaal dip in house-prices.

:smallamused:

Bronk
2018-04-24, 09:41 AM
From your link:

Planar binding limits that to completion of the task. If there is no task, there is no ticket home.

Calling spells grant a ticket home by default, and planar binding only delays the ticket home if there is a task.

The ticket home is still there, so if the creature breaks out of the magic circle before a task is set, it can go home whenever it wants.

Deophaun
2018-04-24, 10:28 AM
Calling spells grant a ticket home by default, and planar binding only delays the ticket home if there is a task.
No. The spell lists the only ways the creature can return. It makes no mention of any other. That means that if there was another way granted by calling by default, the creature could use that at any time under any circumstance. The spell wouldn't work.

Assuming the entry for calling spells is prescriptive rather than descriptive breaks planar binding. It breaks gate. Hell, it breaks halaster's fetch, which has the whole point of not giving the target a free trip back. It breaks every calling spell. That tells you it's a bad interpretation.

Bronk
2018-04-26, 01:21 PM
No. The spell lists the only ways the creature can return. It makes no mention of any other. That means that if there was another way granted by calling by default, the creature could use that at any time under any circumstance. The spell wouldn't work.

Assuming the entry for calling spells is prescriptive rather than descriptive breaks planar binding. It breaks gate. Hell, it breaks halaster's fetch, which has the whole point of not giving the target a free trip back. It breaks every calling spell. That tells you it's a bad interpretation.

Just the opposite. The general rule says that calling spells allow the called creature to return. The individual spells spell out the various ways the spell prevents them from leaving.