PDA

View Full Version : Best multipurpose weapon (pathfinder)

ThatBoostedNoob
2018-04-22, 06:12 PM
Pretty straightforward question. All concepts of "useful" are fair game. Non 3pp preferred. Mostly curious what weapons people like the most. Can be out of combat or in combat practicality. I throw in my two cents by saying that I feel every player should always have a dagger. To cheap to not buy... can come in handy.... even for non rogues. Kinda old hat there so join in and let me hear what you think.

Epic Legand
2018-04-23, 06:47 PM
Depends on your goal for just one answer.

Great sword is great damage, fair threat range. Easy access for profancys

Fauchard has good damage, a great threat range, REACH and Trip, but counts as exotic. Our group uses weapon group profancys, and there are many ways to gain Prof without the use of a feat as well.

Falcata has the best threat range/mult in the game, and is one handed, but again is exotic.

Dex based fighters love the rapier, or the elven thinblade

I personally never use a dagger, I prefer monk unarmed damage, or unarmed combat+ superior unarmed. But that's my personal prefaces.

ThatBoostedNoob
2018-04-23, 08:13 PM
The dagger is not useful because it's got the best damage or critical range. I like it for out of combat uses. Interesting weapon choices though. There anything(weapon or tool) that you always get no matter the character?

Epic Legand
2018-04-23, 10:28 PM
No one weapon. Based on the build. I like Gishes, for them a keen, spell storing weapon with a base 18-20 threat range works out great. When I use Path of War, I like spears combined with piercing thunder maneuvers. Crits are great, and when your in game play its tons of fun. Reach allows you to have lots of attacks ( if you have a good dex and combat reflexes ) when its not your turn...that's always fun.

In our group, we use the 3.5 rules for chain weapons...So 10' reach and threaten near as well as far. Also, monk weapons do damage= to your HTH damage. In that environment I also like the Kusarigama (sickle and chain) which comes with the weapon features: ... double, monk, reach, trip, grapple That means you can flurry, or double weapon with it. Tons of options. Of course a 2 handed weapon that does 1D6 base damage had better offer something else. The 3.5 version is 1 handed, plus reach, making it an awesome choice for a Magus with spell storing.

Pic what enhances you fun in game play.

SaintNick
2018-04-23, 11:25 PM
For non-3pp, I like the gauntlet. It works well with weapon special abilities that require the weapon to be drawn and in-hand. It's a good backup weapon since it's already drawn and all classes have it as a proficiency and it's also fun using one to sunder locks, doors, etc..

Geddy2112
2018-04-24, 06:58 AM
A machete gives a +1 circumstance bonus to surviving in the wild, for 10 gp, and is mechanically identical to a short sword otherwise.

emeraldstreak
2018-04-24, 07:08 AM
A come-in-handy weapon ought to be able to cut you out of a monster's stomach, out of a tanglefoot, be usable when grappled (this was changed in PF due to how disabled unprepared players were in 3.5). Defeating common DRs and being throwable are pluses.

Goaty14
2018-04-24, 10:20 AM
A bow. (Or a crossbow if you don't have proficiency, and a slingshot works for infinite ammo, but worse)

I mean, even if you aren't a ranged build, you should still keep around a bow/arrows whenever you need to hit something flying, disarm the scepter of the evil king, or shoot the gem pulsating with evil energy that's just out of reach.

Personally, tell me a reason why you wouldn't want to be able to hit anything that you have line of sight to.

EDIT: Even if you're one of those funky wizard who do other things (and have poor BaB), you can always take 20 and spend 20 arrows in noncombat situations.

ThatBoostedNoob
2018-04-24, 02:31 PM
This is what I was looking for. Interesting choices.