PDA

View Full Version : Help 3.5

LordDeath666
2018-04-22, 07:11 PM
How would a Goliath rogue be played and does it sound good to play?

Malimar
2018-04-22, 07:26 PM
Just like any other rogue, but with the option to wield a bigger weapon.

daremetoidareyo
2018-04-22, 07:40 PM
Only consider it if La buy off is allowed, or the LA is disregarded all together.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-04-22, 07:40 PM
Race is pretty minor on 3.5 characters unless you go out of your way to feature it. A goliath rogue will play much like any other rogue unless you want to pick some options to highlight the fact it's a goliath.

retaliation08
2018-04-22, 07:48 PM
There are Goliath Rogue racial substitution levels that emphasize the race a bit more. A wilderness rogue variant with Goliath sub levels would be an interesting way to play rogue. If you wanted to play a thrower, Goliath qualifies you for Hulking Hurler.

Just imagine a stealthy Goliath lurking in the mountains and sneak attack throwing boulders on prey!

BowStreetRunner
2018-04-22, 09:22 PM
Could you clarify one point? When you ask how it would be played, are you asking from a Role-play perspective or in terms of Game Mechanics?

LordDeath666
2018-04-22, 09:27 PM
Could you clarify one point? When you ask how it would be played, are you asking from a Role-play perspective or in terms of Game Mechanics?

As in what feats would be best and stuff like that

Zombulian
2018-04-22, 10:02 PM

Ah, then uh. Yeah what everyone else said: no significant difference from any other rogue.

KillianHawkeye
2018-04-22, 10:26 PM
Basically the same as a half-orc Rogue or any other high Strength build for a Rogue.

BowStreetRunner
2018-04-22, 11:30 PM
Personally, I find something particularly fascinating about the concept of a Goliath Barbarian/Rogue with a large weapon charging out of the shadows and pouncing on an unwary sentry. Another thing I'd be interested in including some of the Climb based skill tricks to go with Mountain Movement to make a rogue that climbs around almost like the goblins in LOTR.

gorfnab
2018-04-22, 11:31 PM
What kind of Rogue do you want to build? Melee? Ranged? Spellcasting?

Here's a handbook that might help: The Rogue Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?156350-3-5-The-Rogue-Handbook-A-Fistful-of-d6)

LordDeath666
2018-04-23, 08:02 PM
What kind of Rogue do you want to build? Melee? Ranged? Spellcasting?

Here's a handbook that might help: The Rogue Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?156350-3-5-The-Rogue-Handbook-A-Fistful-of-d6)

Meele max damage with some range. I already plan on getting Sprint attack and multi arm attack (using GM's home brew multi arm Goliath). Another question is can you use 2 two-handed weapons or all4 hands on one weapon and if so what would happen in each scenario

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-04-23, 08:08 PM
You may want to consider playing a goliath swordsage, instead. Swordsages do stealthy melee skirmisher VERY well. With, of course, a level in goliath racial variant/spirit lion totem barbarian. You can even get sneak attack with swordsage. It even scales somewhat well if you take the Craven feat for +1 sneak attack damage per level you've got.

Spirit lion totem barbarian is a variant from Complete Champion (p46) that gives you pounce.

Falontani
2018-04-23, 08:16 PM
go for a longspear (or some other hafted reach weapon)

Sneak up on things and stab them in the back

grab things like: Willing Deformity (Tall), Inhuman Reach, Extended Reach, Lunging Attack to attack from 25+ ft away, stab them in the back from stealth a few times like that

BowStreetRunner
2018-04-23, 11:13 PM
Meele max damage with some range. I already plan on getting Sprint attack and multi arm attack (using GM's home brew multi arm Goliath). Another question is can you use 2 two-handed weapons or all4 hands on one weapon and if so what would happen in each scenario
I've never run into rules for more than two hands on a weapon. I don't think there is any additional advantage.
With a pair of two-handed weapons you can use the Two Weapon Fighting rules as well as gaining 1-1/2 times the STR bonus to damage rolls for melee attacks with a two-handed weapon.
With the Multi-Weapon Fighting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#multiweaponFighting) feat you can actually use up to four weapons, or a pair of double weapons. The Thri-Kreen in MM2 actually do exactly that.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-04-23, 11:14 PM
I've never run into rules for more than two hands on a weapon. I don't think there is any additional advantage.
With a pair of two-handed weapons you can use the Two Weapon Fighting rules as well as gaining 1-1/2 times the STR bonus to damage rolls for melee attacks with a two-handed weapon.
With the Multi-Weapon Fighting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#multiweaponFighting) feat you can actually use up to four weapons, or a pair of double weapons. The Thri-Kreen in MM2 actually do exactly that.Savage Species. Each additional pair of hands adds +0.5x Str bonus damage to attacks, and (I think) increases Power Attack damage some.

Zombulian
2018-04-23, 11:16 PM
Savage Species. Each additional pair of hands adds +0.5x Str bonus damage to attacks, and (I think) increases Power Attack damage some.

+1 to the Str bonus but idk about the PA damage.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-04-23, 11:21 PM
+1 to the Str bonus but idk about the PA damage.I probably ought to have actually found the section before posting.

[edit] Actually, I was right about the +0.5x damage, but there's no PA bonus.

BowStreetRunner
2018-04-23, 11:23 PM
Savage Species. Each additional pair of hands adds +0.5x Str bonus damage to attacks, and (I think) increases Power Attack damage some.
Good find. The weapon has to be designed for extra hands. "Light weapons can never be designed for use with more than two hands. One-handed weapons can already be used with two hands, and can be designed for use with four hands. Two-handed weapons can be designed for use with up to eight hands." The cost is that of a masterwork weapon and they count as masterwork so give the enhancement bonus too. +1/2 STR bonus to damage for each additional hand, so with four hands you get 2-1/2 STR bonus to damage.

I searched the entire book and didn't find anything about Power Attack damage being impacted.

Edit: page 42, FYI.

LordDeath666
2018-04-24, 08:45 PM
Does having 4 arms increase your grappling ability or any like that

Zombulian
2018-04-24, 09:41 PM
Does having 4 arms increase your grappling ability or any like that

Yes. A +4 for every extra pair I believe.

BowStreetRunner
2018-04-24, 10:18 PM
Yes. A +4 for every extra pair I believe.
Any chance you recall where you saw that rule? I've been searching all over and haven't been able to find a thing about it.

EDIT: Aha! Sword and Fist (3.0 never updated to 3.5) has a rule on page 62 for this.

At the Dungeon Master’s option, creatures with more than two arms can get a bonus to grappling checks when they wrestle an opponent with their arms. (The bonus would not apply, for example, to a marilith’s constrict attack.) This bonus is +4 per extra pair of arms—so a marilith would get +8 (in addition to its size modifier), while a xill or a mutant sahuagin would gain a +4 bonus.
It's an option rule, so consult your DM.

LordDeath666
2018-04-25, 08:53 AM
Ok thank you