PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Necrotic Reserve

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-04-22, 09:45 PM
Necrotic Reserve
Pre Req :Cha 13, supernatural ability to drain or damage an ability score or drain energy.

Each day that you slake your hunger by draining or damaging a living creature’s ability score, or draining a living creature’s life force, you gain a necrotic reserve. On days when you have created a reserve, you are weakened but not destroyed when you are dealt enough damage to reduce your hit points to 0 or lower.A weakened undead acting on the strength of its necrotic reserve may take a single move action or standard action each round (but not both, nor can it take full-round actions). It moves at half speed. Taking move actions doesn’t risk further injury, but performing any standard action (or any other action the DM deems strenuous, including some free actions such as casting a quickened spell) immediately expends the necrotic reserve. Unless the action increased the weakened undead’s hit points, it is destroyed. A weakened undead acting on the strength of its necrotic reserve is also destroyed if it is dealt additional damage after the attack that first weakened it.An undead may only rely on a necrotic reserve up to once per day, even if it engages in additional feeding following its
successful return to positive hit points.
Normal:Undead reduced to 0 hit points or lower are immediately destroyed.

So I am looking for conformation for this feat. I need to have a supernatural ability that either drain/damages or Drain energy (the spell).
And if so what would be the easiest way to get a SnA to do either of those or should I stick with the spell for easy (Since I am going to be a wizard)

Fixed: I will be undead via necropolitan

Appearntly I have mis read how the sentence works. I need to find a way to get a SU to do said feat. Anyone know of said way?

Karl Aegis
2018-04-22, 09:55 PM
A wizard doesn't qualify for this feat. You need to be undead with one of those abilities to take the feat.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-04-22, 09:57 PM
Forgot to put i was going to be undead. Fixed in first post. >< sorry

Karl Aegis
2018-04-22, 10:11 PM
Necropolitans don't have a supernatural ability to drain energy or ability scores.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-04-22, 10:14 PM
Im aware. Hence the question on how would I gain one or if energy drain via the spell or enervation would allow me to qualify..

Karl Aegis
2018-04-22, 10:16 PM
Spells are not supernatural abilities.

Nifft
2018-04-22, 10:16 PM
Im aware. Hence the question on how would I gain one or if energy drain via the spell or enervation would allow me to qualify..

Spells are a different category from (Su)pernatural abilities.

There are ways to turn spells into (Su) abilities, but I think merely being able to cast the spell is not going to qualify.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-04-22, 10:19 PM
supernatural ability to drain or damage an ability score or drain energy.

from the sentence it break the drain energy from the drain or damage abililty score. unless im misreading the setence.

In either case. I cant seem to find the proper class that gives me one of the 3 SNA if its all 3. or 2 of 3.

Karl Aegis
2018-04-22, 10:29 PM
There is no sentence break. There is one noun connected to three verbs through conjunctions. This is signaled by only one instance of the word "to".

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-04-22, 10:31 PM
OKay so we have now clarified I need it to be a SU ability. Can anyone provide a class or way to obtain said SU?

Deophaun
2018-04-22, 10:43 PM
Dread Necromancer will let you qualify at level 12 through enervating touch.

Karl Aegis
2018-04-22, 10:45 PM
You can gain an energy drain touch by taking a level in Soul Eater (Book of Vile Darkness pg. 66). However, you would lose the abilities of the class when you become undead due to being printed in a 3.0 book. This means you wouldn't gain the benefit of the necrotic reserve feat and instead you would be immediately destroyed instead of dying and bleeding out if you're at 0 hit points or less and couldn't be raised. It is very much a disadvantage.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-04-22, 11:09 PM
@ Deophaun thanks for the info but 12 levels is a bit to costly.
@Karl Aegis Thanks for the info.

KillianHawkeye
2018-04-22, 11:14 PM
Necrotic Reserve is sort of more of a monster feat. You can't take it if you can't do the thing it needs you to do, and what it needs is an ability that's mostly possessed by monsters.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-04-22, 11:19 PM
You can gain an energy drain touch by taking a level in Soul Eater (Book of Vile Darkness pg. 66). However, you would lose the abilities of the class when you become undead due to being printed in a 3.0 book. This means you wouldn't gain the benefit of the necrotic reserve feat and instead you would be immediately destroyed instead of dying and bleeding out if you're at 0 hit points or less and couldn't be raised. It is very much a disadvantage.

The loss of PrC benefits when you lose the qualifications was dropped in the 3.5 conversion. The inclusion of the reminder sidebar in complete arcane and complete warrior was an editing error. It's kind of odd that undead are barred from the class anyway.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-04-23, 12:57 AM
I have found a template giving me what i was looking for so it looks like im all set.

Template is Hooded Pupil. Which gives Drink blood (Su) so woot. Thanks for everyone who explained or helped.