PDA

View Full Version : The Adventurer's Spellbook

mgshamster
2018-04-23, 08:29 AM
What spells would you include in a spell book that's used solely for exploring, adventuring, and other non-combat stuff?

Ryunosuke
2018-04-23, 08:39 AM
Find Familiar for sure. You can choose a form to fit any environment just about and can often scout around openly (Hawk for example) or even in a more stealthy manner (Spider for example)

Alter Self and Disguise Self can be important for sneaking into some places or appearing as a race more locally accepted.

Alarm and maybe Leomund’s Tiny Hut would make sense for ensuring safety at camp.

Lastly (off the top of my head) Comprehend Languages and Tongues would make a lot of sense utility wise for a traveler as well.

nickl_2000
2018-04-23, 08:41 AM
Level 1: Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Disguise Self, Feather Fall, Identify, Illusory Script, Jump, Silent Image, Sleep, Unseen Servant, Tenser's Floating Disk
Level 2: Alter Self, Blindness/Deafness, Continual Flame, Darkness, Darkvision, Detect Thoughts, Enlarge/Reduce, Gust of Wind, Invisibility, Knock, Levitate, Magic Mouth, Rope Trick, Skywrite, Spider Climb, Suggestion, Web
Level 3: Bestow Curse, Catnap, Clairvoyance, Dispel Magic, Deign Death, Fly, Gaseous Form, Leomund's Tiny Hut, Non-detections, Phantome Steed, Remove Curse, Sending, Tidal Wave, Tiny Servant, Water Breathing

Stopping there as I don't know how high you need.

Unoriginal
2018-04-23, 08:43 AM
Not to sound contrarian, but wouldn't adventuring at least have a risk of combat? I mean, even normal traveling means you could get attacked by bandits, and in D&D world exploring means you risk to encounter monsters ranging from the angry beast to the fiendishly intelligent Undead.

Now, to answer your question: all the utility spells that can be cast as Rituals, up to the 3rd level. If you don't plan to fight nor are in a shedule, you can just use the ritual version.

Princesse
2018-04-23, 08:47 AM
Alarm, Comprehend Language, Detect Magic, Feather Fall, Find Familiar, Identify

Arcane Lock, Continual Flame, Darkvision, Enlarge/Reduce, Invisibility, Kock, Levitate, Locate Object,
Misty Steps, Rope Trick, Spider Climb,

Leomund's tiny hut, Clairvoyance, Counterspell, Dispell magic, Fly, Phanton Steed, Tongue and Waterbreathing.

Here we go for the first 5 levels of your adventure. If you need any indications about why i picked some of the spells just tell me.

mgshamster
2018-04-23, 09:40 AM
Not to sound contrarian, but wouldn't adventuring at least have a risk of combat?

I had thought about that, but decided to go forward with the word anyways. :)

The character I'm building will deal with combat using weapons, not spells. I've got a mountain dwarf wizard, and I want to play him as a jack of all trades kind of guy, who fights with hammers and axes, wears armor, and uses magic only outside of combat for things that directly help him explore.