PDA

View Full Version : What would be my cover.

Belier
2018-04-23, 09:02 AM
Prone
A prone creature’s only Movement option is to crawl, unless it stands up and thereby ends the condition.
The creature has disadvantage on Attack rolls.
An Attack roll against the creature has advantage if the attacker is within 5 feet of the creature. Otherwise, the Attack roll has disadvantage.

So heres the situation and the thinking I had, if I move my 30 feet after I cast moonbean, I think I can drop prone on the ground as a free interaction.

The idea is to not lose my concentration against ranged attacks and to stay away from melee.
So then, if an ally come to cover me while I am prone, what will be my cover, is it half or 3 quarter?

My base AC as a dream druid level 3 is 16, I was hoping this strategy could give me advantage against ranged spells and weapon having 21 ac to prevent losing concentration. I am using amoon beam instead of flaming sphere because my healing from summerbalm and healing voice is on a bonus action so there is no need to call me that I could do more damage with it if I also make an action. Besides, radiant damage and moon stuff fits more thematically on my character.

Thank you for sharing answers and advice relative on the subject.

Quoz
2018-04-23, 09:20 AM
If you are prone with another character your size or larger prone on top of you, that is a GM call but I'd give it 3/4 cover. I would however probably also impose some kind of difficulty on you too. Probably a low DC concentration check if your cover gets hit or perception checks to get line of sight for your spells.

Belier
2018-04-23, 09:23 AM
If you are prone with another character your size or larger prone on top of you, that is a GM call but I'd give it 3/4 cover. I would however probably also impose some kind of difficulty on you too. Probably a low DC concentration check if your cover gets hit or perception checks to get line of sight for your spells.

Well I can always move on my next turn to ensure line of sight whan I move the beam. Rising up would consume 15 feet and I coild still walk 15 or I could crawl for 15.

Belier
2018-04-23, 09:31 AM
I was thinking 3/4 too since when I am standing up it is half cover when an ally is in front of me. But I am still unsure cuz I havent seen it covered. I know a halfling would have 3/4 cover if he stand up behind a medium ally so this is the kind of logic I am using here

Unoriginal
2018-04-23, 09:45 AM
Just to say, by RAW and RAI a Medium-sized person standing in front of you doesn't provide any cover. Otherwise, archers in ranks would have quite a lot of troubles.

Belier
2018-04-23, 09:49 AM
Just to say, by RAW and RAI a Medium-sized person standing in front of you doesn't provide any cover. Otherwise, archers in ranks would have quite a lot of troubles.

This is not exact. Look at this part, creatures are mentionned.

Cover
Walls, trees, creatures, and other obstacles can provide cover during combat, making a target more difficult to harm. A target can benefit from cover only when an attack or other effect originates on the opposite side of the cover.
There are three degrees of cover. If a target is behind multiple sources of cover, only the most protective degree of cover applies;

A target with half cover has a +2 bonus to AC and Dexterity saving throws. A target has half cover if an obstacle blocks at least half of its body. The obstacle might be a low wall, a large piece of furniture, a narrow tree trunk, or a creature, whether that creature is an enemy or a friend.

In this case, I am referring to anothrr creatures cover, while I am prone, will it improve to 3/4 cover is the question of the thread.

DMThac0
2018-04-23, 11:42 AM
Again, a medium creature standing behind a medium creature does not receive a cover bonus. That part is per the books, however, in your situation you're working a spin on this.

Because of the hefty disadvantage you pose to attackers already I don't see cover being much of a necessity. Disadvantage imposes an approximate -5 to hit while you are prone, that is the equivalent of 3/4 cover. If you add 3/4 cover to that as there is someone in front of you that is a +5 ac. The total is a +10 to ac.

Being generous I'd give quarter cover making it a total of +7, and even then that's pretty amazing for simply dropping to the ground and having someone stand in front of you.

Belier
2018-04-23, 11:48 AM
Again, a medium creature standing behind a medium creature does not receive a cover bonus. That part is per the books, however, in your situation you're working a spin on this.

Because of the hefty disadvantage you pose to attackers already I don't see cover being much of a necessity. Disadvantage imposes an approximate -5 to hit while you are prone, that is the equivalent of 3/4 cover. If you add 3/4 cover to that as there is someone in front of you that is a +5 ac. The total is a +10 to ac.

Being generous I'd give quarter cover making it a total of +7, and even then that's pretty amazing for simply dropping to the ground and having someone stand in front of you.

You say that is pretty amazing while not mentionnjng that if somehow somebody sneak on me with 5ft melee weapon I am at disadvantage. Don't forget the boost I am talking about comes with incknveniencies. A dm could easily exploit this by adding an extra surprise ennemy on the battlefield.

And creatures the same size do provides half cover = +2 ac but most DM I've seen forget about this rule. It is at phb p.196

Lombra
2018-04-23, 12:13 PM
You get half cover and disadvantage to ranged attack rolls against you, which is pretty good.

Belier
2018-04-23, 12:15 PM
You get half cover and disadvantage to ranged attack rolls against you, which is pretty good.

Seems fair enaugh, now the question is: is it really free to get prone?

DMThac0
2018-04-23, 12:27 PM
And creatures the same size do provides half cover = +2 ac but most DM I've seen forget about this rule. It is at phb p.196

The wording is generalized as "a creature" and "covers at least half their body", I can see where your interpretation comes from. The ruling most of us are working off of comes from previous editions and is one of those "old habits die hard" situations.

You say that is pretty amazing while not mentionnjng that if somehow somebody sneak on me with 5ft melee weapon I am at disadvantage. Don't forget the boost I am talking about comes with incknveniencies. A dm could easily exploit this by adding an extra surprise ennemy on the battlefield.

+5 to attack if they can sneak up on you vs +7 to +10 to ac if they're beyond 10ft of you...that's not an inconvenience in my opinion.

You choose to lay down on the ground prone with full knowledge of it's pros and cons, but because there is a con it's an inconvenience?
You have a companion standing in front of you who would be easier to spot by said sneak, and they stumble upon you instead, that is an inconvenience.

If your DM is "exploiting" knowledge simply to single you out, get a new DM.

Citan
2018-04-23, 12:27 PM
Yes it does, and yeah archers in rank would have troubles if they are dumb enough to not sidestep in their turn to fire. XD

Confer the PHB excerpt from Belier.
If you and the creature standing in front of you are of the same size category, and are "aligned" from the point of view of an attacking enemy, there is no doubt you benefit of at least half-cover, possibly even 3/4 cover depending on respective size, distance and placement.

Conversely, cover also works for melee weapon attacks, although this case rarely occurs for obvious reasons...
Like in a classic tavern brawl, if there is a piece of furniture blocking you and attacker, unless you have a good reason not to, you just have to hop over or move around ;).
Or if you want to attack an enemy that is behind another, you should usually be able to move around enough to avoid the cover (although you may risk an OA).

Belier
2018-04-23, 12:32 PM
You can drop prone without using any of your speed. Standing up takes more effort; doing so costs an amount of Movement equal to half your speed.

It is free to get prone. And yes the archer could side step and that would mean I would need more allies.to cover me in that case