PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder An issue that I found with Magic Circle Against Evil

ATHATH
2018-04-23, 11:50 AM
I just noticed that the "Area" section of Magic Circle Against Evil reads "10-ft.-radius emanation from touched creature". For the outward-facing use of the spell, this is fine, but the area does NOT seem to change for the inward-facing and planar binding versions. Does this mean that if you want to trap a demon that you're Planar Binding, you have to stay in the circle with it (specifically, in the center of said circle, because the circle will move with you)?

TheFamilarRaven
2018-04-23, 05:47 PM
No. The 10ft emanation refers to the primary usage of Magic Circle as detailed in the first paragraph of the spell. The next 4 paragraphs describe an alternate usage, which being a specific case, overrides the general case of the spell.

Aharon
2018-04-23, 08:31 PM
I just noticed that the "Area" section of Magic Circle Against Evil reads "10-ft.-radius emanation from touched creature". For the outward-facing use of the spell, this is fine, but the area does NOT seem to change for the inward-facing and planar binding versions. Does this mean that if you want to trap a demon that you're Planar Binding, you have to stay in the circle with it (specifically, in the center of said circle, because the circle will move with you)?

You are correct, the spell has numerous problems. If you take it fully as written, you would have to touch the creature you intend to bind, since the inward version doesn't change this requirement.

Mordaedil
2018-04-24, 06:20 AM
Kill a fly and cast it on the corpse at the center of the circle.