PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Minor Monsters (Giant Clam, Advanced Awakened Violet Fungus, Advanced Wight)

rferries
2018-04-23, 11:58 AM
Some low-CR mid-CR creatures for a change.

https://i.imgur.com/YqxLdqG.jpg
GIANT CLAMLARGE MAGICAL BEAST (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 6d10+12 (45 hp)
Initiative: -5
Speed: 5 ft. (1 square), burrow 5 ft.
Armor Class: 16 (-5 Dex, +12 natural, -1 size), touch 4, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+15
Attack: Slam +11 melee (1d8+9)
Full Attack: Slam +11 melee (1d8+9)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, swallow whole
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., pearl, withdraw
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +0, Will +5
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 1, Con 14, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 8
Skills: Hide +0*
Feats: Iron Will, Improved Natural Attack (slam), Weapon Focus (slam)
Environment: Warm aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: Triple standard (as pearl)
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 7-11 HD (Large); 12-18 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: -

The pearl is as large as a fist and gleams with its own ivory radiance, as it rests on the creature's fleshy mantle. Retrieving it will be no easy task.

Giant clams are famed for their precious pearls, which are often magical in nature.

Combat
A giant clam is often indistinguishable from the surrounding seabed. It remains immobile until a creature ventures too close, at which point it lashes out with its fleshy "tongue" to swallow an opponent. If its enemies prove too dangerous it burrows into the seabed (taking any swallowed creature with it).

A giant clam cannot make slam attacks while it currently has a swallowed opponent (it needs its "tongue" to grapple the swallowed creature).

Improved Grab (Ex)
To use this ability, a giant clam must hit a creature at least one size smaller than itself with its slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow the opponent in the following round.

Pearl (Su)
A giant clam almost always possesses a large and magical pearl. The pearl is supernaturally valuable (it has a gp value equal to the total gp value of the treasure the clam would otherwise possess), or sometimes has the powers of a pearl of power, pearl of the sirines, a stone of good luck, or other magical gem.

Swallow Whole (Ex)
A giant clam can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of a smaller size than itself by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes 1d8+9 points of crushing damage plus 4 points of acid damage per round from the clam’s gizzard. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 15 points of damage to the gizzard (AC 16). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. A giant clam’s interior can hold 1 Medium or smaller creature.

Withdraw (Ex)
A giant clam has hardness 8 while its shell is closed (including while it has a swallowed creature). Halve and quarter energy damage and damage from ranged weapons before appyling this hardness, as though the creature were an object made of stone. It may close its shell as a free action, or open it as a move action. It may not burrow while its shell is open.

Skills
*A giant clam has a +20 racial bonus on Hide checks when concealed amongst rock or coral.

https://i.imgur.com/7X8iBG5.png
VIOLET FUNGUS, GREATERMEDIUM PLANT
Hit Dice: 6d8+24 (51 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (-1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+6
Attack: Tentacle +7 melee (1d6+2 plus poison)
Full Attack: 4 tentacles +7 melee (1d6+2 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, plant traits
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +1, Will +2
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 8, Con 18, Int Ø, Wis 10, Cha 9
Skills: Hide +8
Feats: Ability Focus (poison), Improved Natural Armour, Weapon Focus (tentacle)
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary or ring (1 plus 2-4 violet fungi and 3-5 shriekers)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 7-11 HD (Medium); 12-18 HD (Large)

Four tentacles writhe around the cap of this mobile mushroom.

These violet fungi are slightly larger than their counterparts, but far more dangerous. They possess a spark of animal intelligence.

Combat
A greater violet fungus hides until prey approaches, then flails about with its tentacles at living creatures that come within its reach.

Poison (Ex)
Injury, Fortitude DC 19, initial and secondary damage 1d4 Str and 1d4 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.

https://i.imgur.com/7Nbg1AW.jpg
WIGHT, GREATERMEDIUM UNDEAD
Hit Dice: 9d12 (56 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 21 (+3 Dex, +3 deflection, +5 natural), touch 16, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+7
Attack: Slam +8 melee (1d6+3 plus energy drain)
Full Attack: Slam +8 melee (1d6+3 plus energy drain)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Create spawn, energy drain
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/good or silver, darkvision 60 ft., shadow ambush, undead traits, unearthly grace
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +12
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 16, Con Ø, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 16
Skills: Hide +15, Intimidate +15, Knowledge (history, religion) +15, Listen +15, Move Silently +23, Spot +15
Feats: Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (slam), Improved Natural Armour, Weapon Focus (slam)
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or or pack (1 plus 6-11 wights)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Triple standard
Alignment: Always lawful evil
Advancement: 10-18 HD (Medium)

This withered humanoid radiates menace. The other wights in the pack wait for its command to attack.

These wights are the leaders of their kind. Unlike lesser wights, they accumulate or guard treasure hoards in their barrows.

Greater wights speak Common.

Combat
A greater wight directs its spawn in combat, but does not hesitate to enter melee itself.

Create Spawn (Su)
Any humanoid slain by a wight becomes a wight in 1d4 rounds. Spawn are under the command of the wight that created them and remain enslaved until its death. They do not possess any of the abilities they had in life.

Energy Drain (Su)
Living creatures hit by a wight’s slam attack gain one negative level. The DC is 14 for the Fortitude save to remove a negative level. The save DC is Charisma-based. For each such negative level bestowed, the wight gains 5 temporary hit points.

Shadow Ambush (Su)
A greater wight can shadow walk, as the spell (caster level 11th). It typically uses this ability to plan ambushes with its minions (a greater wight can still see creatures on the Material Plane while it is shadow walking), or lead them to safety during a rout.

Unearthly Grace (Su)
A greater wight adds its Charisma bonus to its saving throws and as a deflection bonus to its Armour Class.

Skills
Wights have a +8 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.

Jon_Dahl
2018-04-23, 12:44 PM
Just an opinion:
A wight can be advanced to be a 4 CR monster. I think it would be better to make the Greater Wight a lot more powerful so that it would be at least a CR 6 monster. It's a common convention in D&D that improved versions of monsters are significantly stronger than the normal versions. Slight CR increases are meant to be achieved by adding a few extra HD on the base monster.

rferries
2018-04-23, 02:12 PM
Just an opinion:
A wight can be advanced to be a 4 CR monster. I think it would be better to make the Greater Wight a lot more powerful so that it would be at least a CR 6 monster. It's a common convention in D&D that improved versions of monsters are significantly stronger than the normal versions. Slight CR increases are meant to be achieved by adding a few extra HD on the base monster.

Yeah, that was actually my basis for these (advancing by HD)! :) Though since I gave the fungus an Int score I gave the wight shadow walk. They aren't meant to be entirely new monsters (apart from the clam), just slightly buffed ones.

jqavins
2018-04-27, 03:03 PM
A wight can be advanced to be a 4 CR monster. I think it would be better to make the Greater Wight a lot more powerful so that it would be at least a CR 6 monster. It's a common convention in D&D that improved versions of monsters are significantly stronger than the normal versions. Slight CR increases are meant to be achieved by adding a few extra HD on the base monster.Yeah, that was actually my basis for these (advancing by HD)! :) Though since I gave the fungus an Int score I gave the wight shadow walk. They aren't meant to be entirely new monsters (apart from the clam), just slightly buffed ones.
I would agree with Jon Dahl that if regular wights can advance to CR 4 then a superior wight should start at CR 5 or 6. Some suggestions to take or leave:

Add another hit die; regular wights can advance to 8, so these should start higher.
Improve ability scores; you did increase Str but you also decreased Cha. Put the Cha back, increase Dex, and perhaps increase Int and/or Wis as well.
Add some sort of leadership ability (not the Leadership feat) that makes the other wights under its command more effective.
Edit the OP as follows:

Some low-CR mid-CR creatures for a change.

Incidentally, I like the new avatar.

rferries
2018-04-28, 02:02 AM
I would agree with Jon Dahl that if regular wights can advance to CR 4 then a superior wight should start at CR 5 or 6. Some suggestions to take or leave:

Add another hit die; regular wights can advance to 8, so these should start higher.
Improve ability scores; you did increase Str but you also decreased Cha. Put the Cha back, increase Dex, and perhaps increase Int and/or Wis as well.
Add some sort of leadership ability (not the Leadership feat) that makes the other wights under its command more effective.
Edit the OP as follows:

Incorporated those suggestions, thanks. For the "leadership" ability I made the shadow ambush more explicit in how it can be used.

Incidentally, I like the new avatar.

Well thanks! I'll miss the old wizard, but in another thread I kept confusing my comments with those of a guy with the same avatar haha.

brian 333
2018-04-28, 09:13 AM
Psionic Mimic, (Mind Thief)

These mimics were mutated by exposure to Illithid settlements. Their growth has been permanently stunted by the toxic runoff of an elder brain's pool, and what minds they possess were warped by constant exposure to psionic energy fields. Illithid treat them as vermin, only tolerating them because their larvae consume the larvae of the psionic mimics.

When a psionic mimic reaches maturity it will seek out a victim, avoiding mind flayers due to natural selection; (every one who sought an illithid host was slain.) It takes the form of a hood, hat, cowl, or helmet, and waits for its victim to don it. It will appear as a magic item if Detect Magic is used, and identify as a psionic device.

When likely victims are within 60 feet, the mind thief chooses the best suited for its needs and assumes a form the chosen victim will most likely attempt to wear. Its first preference is the most powerful psion, second is the most powerful spellcaster, third is the most intelligent character, and fourth is anyone greedy enough to don a magic item.

Once placed on the head, the Mind Thief begins its insinuation into the mind of its victim, and it begins by offering the wearer a 1d4 psionic damage bonus to any psionic ability or spell which inflicts injuries, and granting the wearer a +1 Int bonus. (This applies to the Intelligence Bonus, not the actual Intelligence Ability Score.) It will also induce the belief in its victim that removal of the item will permanently ruin its ability to function.

In every four-hour or longer rest period thereafter, the Psionic Mimic will transfer one point of its victim's Intelligence from the victim to the Mind Thief. Having willingly donned the item, all resistances are bypassed, so no saves are allowed. If after this point the mimic is removed, the lost Int may be restored at the rate of one point per week of rest, one point per Restoration spell, or completely through use of Greater Restoration.

It must be noted that the Mind Thief continues to function as the victim's mind, so the combined Int is still treated as the victim's int. However, once the psionic mimic's Int exceeds that of its victim, it begins to desire to return to the pool of an Elder Brain to spawn. The victim will choose the paths which lead ever deeper, attempting to convince its companions to come with it using images of treasure and magic items. At first the path will be revealed through flashes of insight and intuition, but by the time the victim's Int is 3, the Mind Thief will be in complete control.

At that point it will make its best speed to the pool of an Elder Brain, intentionally luring its companions into the illithid community which inevitably surrounds the pool. At the pool's edge it will drop off, revealing the hole it ate into the skull of the victim and the thousands of tendrils it grew into the victim's brain. The Mind Thief will fall into the water and begin to spawn larvae. As it does, illithid larvae swarm and consume a high percentage of them, and the dying body of the Mind Thief as well, but some Psionic Mimic larvae will survive the larval stage and exit the pool, becoming vermin-like nymphs which survive on the leftovers of illithid banquets until they mate, at which point they migrate to the surface in search of a victim.

Without a victim/host, these creatures are a 1HD Aberration with a 1d4 Mind Blast attack. Their size is Tiny, and their AC is 10 if assuming a cloth form, 12 if leather, and 15 if steel. If attacked they attempt to flee and hide, with a +10 Camouflage bonus, but their movement is only 10 feet per round. They move by extruding tendrils and dragging themselves. These tendrils may have suction cups or hooks, allowing them to climb or traverse ceilings at the same speed. When not assuming a particular shape they are simple blobs with an AC of 10 and the appearance of moist purple-grey putty.

rferries
2018-04-28, 06:21 PM
Very creepy! :)