PDA

View Full Version : Advice on multiclassing from ranger

MagneticKitty
2018-04-23, 12:23 PM
My current character is a kobold beastmaster revised ranger lv 8. Dual weilding fighting style. With a wolf partner who I ride into battle. I use shortswords and shortbow if I have low health.
Right now my playstyle is run into combat and use dual shortswords, between the two of us we get 4 hits and do pretty decent.
I already spoke with the DM and he is ok letting the wolf get hp/ and proficiency scaling if I multiclass. Recently a character died and we resurrected them, so we've been feeling the low healing. Most of my ranger slots are used for healing right now anyway.

71 hp
Str 5
Con 16
Dex 18
Wis 14
Int 11
Cha 9 or 8 I don't remember

First feat mounted combatant / second is urd wings (flight speed 30 kobold feat)

Considering cleric or fighter. Maybe druid...
Which one do you recommend and what subclass? I think I'm leaning Calvary fighter (xgte) or protection cleric (UA)

Party: beastmaster ranger (me), necromancer wizard, fighter/barbarian, shadow bard, lycan blood Hunter, warlock (not present much)

CTurbo
2018-04-23, 12:56 PM
You're pretty much limited to Cleric, Druid, Monk, Rogue, and Fighter.

How big of a dip are you thinking?

Is the main purpose for healing? or just overall Utility?

Your ideas of Cavalier or Protection Cleric are good, but if you're just wanting better healing, I'd just go with Life. The Fighter Knight is also worth a look.

Lord8Ball
2018-04-23, 01:09 PM
I think taking a bit of rouge would work just fine for your build. It would open up the hit and run tactic, with cunning action, which is invaluable for skirmishes. You should consider taking the mobile feat as well at some point to improve both the speed basically giving you a free disengage.

2D8HP
2018-04-23, 01:12 PM
My current character is[....]

AW, the eternal question of "Should I multi-class?".

Fortunately I have the answer.

But first you must answer some questions:

Do you have a Fighting Style Feature yet?

If no, get levels in a class that does.

Do you have a level in Rogue?

If no, get at least one level of Rogue.

Do you have a level of Fighter yet?

If no, get at least one level in Fighter.

When you got a Fighting Style did you get the Archery Fighting Style?

Do whatever you can to get that

Now go max DEX.

That's what I'd do anyway.

MagneticKitty
2018-04-23, 01:16 PM
I plan on taking the rest of my levels in this class, most of the rest of ranger is boring and doesn't give much more utility or power

I thought about rogue, I already have theives tools from my background and pass without a trace for stealth. Right now I can disengage almost for free with the cost of one of my wolf's attacks. And I have 40 movement. So I rogue is pretty redundant except the sneak attack damage
I really really don't want to be an Archer. This is a melee ranger. I'd be fine with casting, but I'm not taking archery. I'm riding my wolf into close combat between casting spells

My spells: pass without a trace, hunters Mark, absorb elements, healing spirit, cure wounds

CTurbo
2018-04-23, 01:18 PM
Fighter doesn't really get you any more healing or utility, but it boosts your combat capabilities tremendously with a second Fighting Style, Action Surge, Second Wind, and whatever 3rd level archetype you choose. I'd probably take Defense, but Archery would be good too. I think I like Knight better than Cavalier because it gets you a reliable reaction attack.

Druid has too much overlap with your Ranger stuff so I think I'd pass.

Rogue could be interesting, but you'd need to ask your DM how Cunning Action and Uncanny Dodge would work riding your Wolf. If he allows those Rogue features to work mounted, a Rogue dip would be extremely strong. Of course you don't gain any extra healing.

Cleric is the obvious choice if you're wanting healing and utility. Just about any Domain would be great except for War. I would probably take at least 5 levels to get the very awesome Spirit Guardians.
Life would REALLY boost your healing.
Tempest is my favorite. Reaction damage when attacked plus some limited but devastating blasting along with some great control.
Nature fit thematically albeit with some overlap
Knowledge adds a lot of skill and utility.

Belier
2018-04-23, 01:20 PM

Now go max DEX.

If you multiclass druid you wont get heavy armor but if you go cleric you could go nature xleric and get a druid cantrip and druid spells while having heavy armor to protect your mount. Howerver, you would not gain much benefits on your spells since you have access to level 3 already and tnhe only thing it would net you otherwise is more spell slot. Tou could go life cleric and make your healing very potent with good berries and healing spirit being buffed also.

MagneticKitty
2018-04-23, 01:21 PM
Also for a fighting style if I go fighter, I'll be taking Mariner
Thanks for the input so far.

CTurbo
2018-04-23, 01:43 PM
Honestly, if the DM lets you use Cunning Action, Uncanny Dodge, and Evasion while mounted, Rogue would be extremely strong. You'll always qualify for sneak attack while mounted so your damage output would be great.

Scout would fit perfectly. It would let you move up to half your speed as a reaction if an enemy ends it's turn next to you, and then add +10 to your movement. This is perfect if you prefer a more skirmishing roll where you can move in, attack, and move back out. Obviously not the best choice if you plan to actually hang around in melee.

Arcane Trickster adds a lot of fun utility and gets you a familiar which would be great. You can have a Wolf and an Owl lol

Sentinel would be an excellent feat since anytime your Wolf is attacked, you could attack with your reaction AND use sneak attack again.

I'd probably go Cleric though if you plan on staying in this class for the remainder. Tempest is best suited for melee, and is just a really really powerful domain in general.

MagneticKitty
2018-04-23, 01:54 PM
Movement boosts don't help me much since I have bonus dash action already from cleric and me getting movement does not give my wolf more movement.

Also I can't wear heavy armor, with my feat and my strength

So tempest is best for melee dex cleric?
Also keep in mind my bonus action is taken up by dual weilding most the time

But tempest uses reaction I think?

CTurbo
2018-04-23, 02:07 PM
Movement boosts don't help me much since I have bonus dash action already from cleric and me getting movement does not give my wolf more movement.

Also I can't wear heavy armor, with my feat and my strength

So tempest is best for melee dex cleric?

Tempest works just as well as a Dex build. I'm running a Dex Tempest right now. It's reaction damage doesn't really scale but anytime you can deal damage with your reaction it's a good thing. You can also knock back whoever hits you 10ft too. Being able to max Lightning or Thunder damage once or twice per short rest is just amazing. Thunderwave and Shatter are both great spells. Spirit Guardians is great on a mount too.

Sentinel is great here still. Once your each Cleric 8, you'd be able to use your Divine Strike with your reaction attack too.
Magic Initiate is great. You can pick up a couple of Lightning cantrips like Shocking Grasp, Lightning Lure, and get Find Familiar. Or you could pick up the great Booming Blade.
War Caster would be a good pickup as well. Note: Warcaster and Booming Blade work very well together. Add in Sentinel and it gets pretty hilarious.

sky red hunter
2018-04-23, 02:13 PM
take a one level dip into life cleric to boost your healing, then go battle master fighter for another fighting style, action surge, second wind extra asi's and all those manoeuvres that work with your swords and bows.

Disarming from distance and sending the beast companion in to finish them off.

healing a companion, action surging and firing two arrows into enemy units, frightening them, disarming them etc

makes you even better at everything you're already doing...

MagneticKitty
2018-04-23, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't mind both, but 1 level only on cleric kills an asi.
And I really don't like battlemaster in general. And dm forbid me from champion because improved crit and me always having advantage... Which makes sense

CTurbo
2018-04-23, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't mind both, but 1 level only on cleric kills an asi.
And I really don't like battlemaster in general. And dm forbid me from champion because improved crit and me always having advantage... Which makes sense

Technically, you shouldn't always have advantage unless you figured out how to overcome the sunlight sensitivity in which case how?

A triple multiclass isn't a terrible idea, but we don't really know what you're wanting out of this character. If you're switching classes completely, and not just dipping, what is going to be the RP behind it, or is it just purely for mechanical reasons? Even then, you have to at least have a story behind it.

Mechanically speaking, are you multiclassing for more healing, utility, or combat prowess?

You could always go Cleric 4, Fighter 4 or 6.

Specter
2018-04-23, 02:55 PM
Life Cleric + Ranger's Goodberry = out-of-combat healing/feeding machine.

MagneticKitty
2018-04-23, 03:03 PM
Yeah sunlight sensitivity is a factor, but mostly we fight out of daylight. Everyone in the group has dark vision. Actually life cleric good berry isn't a bad idea. I'd have to see how that works.

Story recently would be: after an ally falling in battle she gets curious about the resurrection spell that was used. Starts learning about it and researches other God's. Fighter is easy and makes sense since there's one in the group to teach her and she's already a martial. Either will work for story wise. Resurrection spells sound like a good thing for the group to have..

MadBear
2018-04-23, 03:17 PM

Now go max DEX.

All I can imagine is the fun scenarios months later when:

"My level 17 wizard just doesn't feel as powerful as I thought he'd be. I took a 1 level dip in rogue, a 1 level dip in fighter to get the dueling style, another 2 level dip in ranger to get the archery style, and I spent all my ability score increases to get my 14 dex up to 20."

2D8HP
2018-04-23, 03:20 PM
...I really really don't want to be an Archer. This is a melee ranger....

Melee?

:eek:

That's what other peoples PC's are for.

You're volunteering for melee?

Well, it's a big world.
(no wonder you don't want Rogue levels then).

...And dm forbid me from champion because improved crit and me always having advantage... Which makes sense

Back that truck way up please, just HOW are you "always having advantage"?
- totally not asking for a friend I WANT THOSE SWEET CRITS!

Specter
2018-04-23, 03:30 PM
Yeah sunlight sensitivity is a factor, but mostly we fight out of daylight. Everyone in the group has dark vision. Actually life cleric good berry isn't a bad idea. I'd have to see how that works.

Basically, every spell slot you spend can yield 40hp of healing. Plus food.

CTurbo
2018-04-23, 03:34 PM
Going Cleric will make your entire party better. As boring as Life Cleric is, it really is a beast at healing especially when you're healing yourself while you heal your buddies. Yes I had Goodberries in mind earlier when I recommended Life. That's 40 extra hp every time you cast it.

MagneticKitty
2018-04-23, 04:09 PM
Melee?

:eek:

That's what other peoples PC's are for.

You're volunteering for melee?

Well, it's a big world.
(no wonder you don't want Rogue levels then).

Back that truck way up please, just HOW are you "always having advantage"?
- totally not asking for a friend I WANT THOSE SWEET CRITS!

Always advantage except in directly sunlight. But the game is called dungeons and dragons not daylight and dragons.
Kobold has pack tactics, my wolf has pack tactics. So we just synergize like that.
4 hits at advantage. Or two at advantage and two normal if in daylight. And mounted combat means I take all the hits aimed at my wolf.
Aoes still kill me sometimes. And mental saves