PDA

View Full Version : Help trading in one of my lore Bard spells

dnd2016
2018-04-23, 02:08 PM
Looking for advice trading in one of my spells at 10th level. Still contemplating my two steals but some of my spells are. Fear hypnotic pattern conjure animals counterspell hold monster. I like synaptic static but don't want to have too many 5th level spells with only two slots and I like enemies abound also. Thoughts?

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-04-23, 02:11 PM
Looking for advice trading in one of my spells at 10th level. Still contemplating my two steals but some of my spells are. Fear hypnotic pattern conjure animals counterspell hold monster. I like synaptic static but don't want to have too many 5th level spells with only two slots and I like enemies abound also. Thoughts?

I really like enemies abound, and think having access to counterspell is a must. Bards are also the best users of telekinesis.

sky red hunter
2018-04-23, 02:18 PM
you could get a paladins destructive wave, long before a paladin gets it. for sheer damage output, picking it as bard is hard to resist.

just look how long a paladin has to wait to get it and look at its damage output.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-04-23, 05:33 PM
10th Level is a bit higher than I've made it.

If you don't have Counterspell or three party members with it, no one does it better than a Bard who can ad the Jack of All Trades bonus (last I read).

Does anyone have a Resurrection type spell? I like the Druid one, Reincarnate http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Reincarnate, which likely changes the race of whoever is being brought back. No one really wants their race changed so death still means something and its memorable. Also gives the DM a chance to create a side quest to somehow restore the half orc to a half orc if the character isn't having fun as a dwarf or whatever.

Fly is an odd one if no one has it yet. I picked it and use it defensively sometimes to keep my squishy Bard out of melee once the ranged attack bad guys are done.

A few Ranger and Paladin spells scale very well for full casters like a Bard.

I considered the usual....my list is around here someplace:

Hail of Thorns
Hellish Rebuke (sure scaling D10 damage as a reaction!)
Shield
Eldritch Blast
Animate Dead
Haste
Slow
Alter Self

Back to the point earlier, we HAD a Cleric with Revivify so I took Counterspell and Fly. If I knew the Cleric was going to drop out and I couldn't trade Magical Secret spells very freely, I would have taken Revivify.

KillingTime
2018-04-23, 05:59 PM
I think Fear and Hypnotic pattern cover alot of the same ground, so trading out one of those might be sensible if you want to make space for something with more bang.
Not a great deal to choose between them though. Range vs Power.

JeffreyGator
2018-04-23, 06:02 PM
I like the wall of stone (if you want to build stuff) or wall of force spells for very effective control at level 5.

You could think about replacing conjure animals with animate objects except upcasting the 3rd slot is likely more versatile and you can make chaos giraffes.

fear and hypnotic pattern serve very similar functions and so you might only need one of these.