PDA

View Full Version : Caster Level and Stolen Spells

Zombulian
2018-04-23, 07:58 PM
Treat the spell as if it were cast by the original owner of the spell for the purpose of determining caster level, save DC, and so forth. A spellthief can cast this spell even if he doesn't have the minimum ability score normally required to cast a spell of that level. The spellthief must supply the same components (including verbal, somatic, material, XP, and any focus) required for the stolen spell. Alternatively, a spellthief of 4th level or higher can use the stolen spell power to cast any spellthief spell that he knows of the same level or lower (effectively, this gives the spellthief one free casting of a known spell).

Would this allow a Spellthief to cast a spell off of their own list with an enhanced caster level?
For instance, if a 10th level Spellthief with a CL of 5 steals a spell from a caster with a CL of 10, if the Spellthief then uses that stolen spell to cast one of this own spells, is the CL of that spell now 10?

Kelb_Panthera
2018-04-23, 08:22 PM
I don't think so. The parenthetical seems to suggest that it simply allows you to cast one of your own spells normally (normal DC and CL) without expending the spell slot.

Zombulian
2018-04-23, 10:04 PM
I don't think so. The parenthetical seems to suggest that it simply allows you to cast one of your own spells normally (normal DC and CL) without expending the spell slot.

Hm. While this is fairly reasonable, I think there's a case to be made that the original wording of the ability still applies here. It gives the Spellthief a free casting of a known spell, but not as if he had simply been given a another spell slot to do so. Though I suppose if I'm making this argument, this would not only apply to the CL, but the DC and other effects as well...