PDA

View Full Version : Catching things in combat

Samayu
2018-04-23, 11:30 PM
Someone wants to throw something to me, and I want to catch it.

I need a reaction? Do you recommend either of us make a roll? DC test based on the pointyness of the object?

If we miss, where does it land? If I'm not able to attempt the catch, they can just toss it at my feet?

Kane0
2018-04-23, 11:33 PM
My on the spot ruling: thrower uses item interaction, catcher uses reaction. Dex check only if circumstances are a problem (someone in the way, long distance, heavy wind, low visibility, etc)

Unoriginal
2018-04-24, 12:59 AM
I would authorise a check if the thrown weapon misses the AC.

Vogie
2018-04-24, 07:34 AM
I'd require a check even if it's within range, to allow for narrative fiat- Nat 1, it's going to fail (thrown wide); Nat 19-20, perfect throw with no reaction needed by catcher; 2-18, requires a reaction by the catcher to catch.

Depending on the circumstances around the fight & the object thrown, and how the people are arranged, a middling roll may also allow other people to use a reaction to catch the item.

Samayu
2018-04-24, 10:08 PM
Thanks, all!

Maelynn
2018-04-25, 07:11 AM
The thrower would have to make a dex check.

He succeeds: receiver uses their reaction to catch the item. No problem.

He fails: receiver has to use their reaction to make a dex check, to see if they can still catch the item.

Receiver fails: item drops to the floor. Consequences depend on how breakable the item is, how solid the ground is, and whether other people are within 5 ft.