PDA

View Full Version : Feat tossup for Bearbarian Druid/Barbarian

prototype00
2018-04-24, 02:07 AM
So I made an AL character to tank as a massive pool of HP, a Moon Druid/Barbarian raging wildshaper.

Now I’m nearing my first feat (and probably only one for a while), and it’s a tossup between Res (Wis) (first level in Barbarian, so not proficient) or Warcaster.

I was initially keen on Warcaster, but as the fights got tougher, I just Raged to soak up the damage and retaliate all the time. I almost never cast spells except for out of combat stuff. It does come highly recommended though.

On the other hand, my Wis save, while not anemic (+3) could be a lot better, and at lvl 4 I still can adjust my character’s ability scores per AL rules, so it’s the perfect time to slot in that extra stat point from Res (Wis), but then I won’t see Warcaster until much later.

Hmmm what to pick?

Prototype00

utopus
2018-04-24, 02:21 AM
Certainly res wis. The extra prof. Bonus to wis saves is going to be very helpful later in the game. The only merit to warcaster that is synergistic with Druid is its ability to give advantage on concentration checks. The other two benefits are largely wasted due to spell casting restrictions from both raging, and wild shape.

I don't know your character's stats, but if res wis is able to push your wis score to an even number, that's just one more thing you have going for you: you stand to benefit from a higher spell save DC along with an additional spell prepped each day

prototype00
2018-04-24, 03:05 AM
Yeah, and it would suck to be charmed or suggested to not attack the main foe.

MagneticKitty
2018-04-24, 02:40 PM
What level are you, 3 going on 4 (feat)? Or going on 8?

prototype00
2018-04-24, 06:13 PM
What level are you, 3 going on 4 (feat)? Or going on 8?

4 going on 5 with one level of multiclass.

MagneticKitty
2018-04-24, 06:20 PM
Do you mostly do casting or mostly do melee?

pdegan2814
2018-04-24, 06:35 PM
I would definitely say Resilient(Wis) based on what you've told us. I have never regretting being proficient in both Wis and Con saves.

prototype00
2018-04-24, 06:44 PM
Do you mostly do casting or mostly do melee?

Definitely mostly melee.

Cespenar
2018-04-25, 04:38 AM
Res Wis is good, but:

Think about how many Wisdom saves you do in a typical day. Has it ever been more than 1? I'd daresay never ever more than 3, correct?

So, why not Lucky?

prototype00
2018-04-25, 04:43 AM
Res Wis is good, but:

Think about how many Wisdom saves you do in a typical day. Has it ever been more than 1? I'd daresay never ever more than 3, correct?

So, why not Lucky?

Ah, that’s not a bad idea, the 18 wis with Res (Wis) is tempting me though (Firbolg is the only...?... +2 Wis race, might as well use it, right?).

So Lucky or Res (Wis)...

Cespenar
2018-04-25, 04:54 AM
Ah, that’s not a bad idea, the 18 wis with Res (Wis) is tempting me though (Firbolg is the only...?... +2 Wis race, might as well use it, right?).

So Lucky or Res (Wis)...

Though you did say you mostly tank and rarely cast. So that 18 isn't that better from a 16.

But with Lucky, you could get a greater effective bonus than Res:Wis on a Wis save, and then have another two rerolls to maybe halve that damage on that Fireball and guarantee scoring a hit on a baddie at a critical junction.

Res Wis could be better as your level 8 or 12 feat, where the proficiency bonuses get bigger and you face more casters with more potential Wis saves per day.

I myself did it like that as a Druid/Barb in a long winded campaign, and was pretty happy with the results.

Actually I even went with VHuman and Observant as my level 1 feat, but never mind. :smallbiggrin:

TheUser
2018-04-25, 05:33 AM
If you are a Firbolg you might want to consider....

Tavern Brawler

At level 7 (Barb 1 /Moon Druid 6) you can turn into a giant constrictor snake with a lift/carry capacity of....over 4500 pounds.

Now everything is a weapon.

Conversely you can re-roll Vhuman and take Sentinel at level 1 and get +2 Wis at level 4; you'd still have 18 wis but then you have a feat that lets you get an extra beast attack in as an opportunity attack.