PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Woodland Encounters? 3.5

Necrov
2018-04-24, 03:21 AM
Hi there,

I'm looking for some interesting fluffy woodland encounters for D&D 3.5. Essentially my party of five are adventuring through a wood that is mostly (though not completely) overrun by Lycanthropes, of which I have plenty of combat encounters planned.

I'm looking for suggestions for some non-combat encounters, perhaps some Fae themed fluff or favourite encounters you've used to make 'journeying through a wood' interesting. Must be suitable for five 4th level characters.

Crake
2018-04-24, 04:06 AM
I recently ran a CR5 encounter for my players involving an unseelie green warden and a black unicorn working together, punishing the mortal races and teaching them that they're at the bottom of mother nature's food chain. You can start it as a roleplay encounter if the party has a druid or ranger, but if the players show little to no reverence for nature, then the green warden will try and confuse them all, the unicorn targeting them one by one as they fight amongst themselves, and the green warden targeting the individuals that managed to avoid confusion with it's sleep ability.

Bullet06320
2018-04-24, 04:35 AM
smurfs.....

Necrov
2018-04-24, 04:55 AM
smurfs.....

...I mean... I do have a Gnome Druid who apart from the blue could be Smurfette.

Bullet06320
2018-04-24, 05:05 AM
I had a player years ago, that was paranoid, always checking behind the bushes, rolling searches everywhere, well, I decided to have a little fun with him

you see a 6 inch tall, blue fellow, wearing white paints and a white hat, he sees you, he turns around and runs, yelling "PAPA SMURF, PAPA SMURF!!!!!!"

he stopped looking behind every bush, lol

lylsyly
2018-04-24, 06:35 AM
I had a player years ago, that was paranoid, always checking behind the bushes, rolling searches everywhere, well, I decided to have a little fun with him

you see a 6 inch tall, blue fellow, wearing white paints and a white hat, he sees you, he turns around and runs, yelling "PAPA SMURF, PAPA SMURF!!!!!!"

he stopped looking behind every bush, lol

That's priceless!

I once had a Pixie riding a Faerie Dragon whose sole purpose in life seemed to be to show up randomly and annoy the PCs to death. Used it to keep things a little lighter in a deadly campaign. Great fun for me and the players both.

daremetoidareyo
2018-04-24, 02:04 PM
Awakened mice beset upon by a voracious pseudodragon. The mice ask the PCs (flesh giants) to slay the "evil dragon"

mabriss lethe
2018-04-25, 06:15 PM
Look up Randy Milholland's Redneck Trees. No. I'm not going to link it.

Thurbane
2018-04-25, 11:34 PM
There's some interesting stuff to be found in the Wizards archives:

Fey Feature Archive (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/fey)

Monsters of the Woodlands (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040828a)

Crake
2018-04-26, 01:35 AM
That's priceless!

I once had a Pixie riding a Faerie Dragon whose sole purpose in life seemed to be to show up randomly and annoy the PCs to death. Used it to keep things a little lighter in a deadly campaign. Great fun for me and the players both.

Pixies can't ride faerie dragons, they're both small..... Petals on the other hand... I once made a petal mounted ubercharger riding a faerie dragon.... It wielded a toothpick sized lance.

lylsyly
2018-04-26, 03:36 AM
Pixies can't ride faerie dragons, they're both small..... Petals on the other hand... I once made a petal mounted ubercharger riding a faerie dragon.... It wielded a toothpick sized lance.

Advancement: 9 HD (Small); 10-13 HD (Medium); 14-19 HD (Large); 20-24 HD (Huge)

Did I really NEED to state it was advanced so that all you "I know more than anyone else" folks wouldn't bother to try and correct me.

Sad...

Crake
2018-04-26, 03:42 AM
Did I really NEED to state it was advanced so that all you "I know more than anyone else" folks wouldn't bother to try and correct me.

Sad...

Woah, relax, I was using it as a segway to tell my own little anecode which was basically yours on a smaller scale.

Palanan
2018-04-26, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by Crake
Woah, relax, I was using it as a segway….

Wait, so the pixie was riding a two-wheeled electric vehicle?

:smalltongue:

Vizzerdrix
2018-04-26, 10:38 PM
Wait, so the pixie was riding a two-wheeled electric vehicle?

:smalltongue:

I thought segways gave a penalty to bluff, diplomacy, and intimidate, no? Nott worth it for the movement buff.