PDA

View Full Version : Chugging potions as fast as possible (or even faster than possible)

noce
2018-04-24, 09:16 AM
My party is composed by a Crusader/Wizard/Jade Phoenix Mage, a Spellthief, a Druid and a Paladin/Aglarondan Griffonrider.

Now, we intend to let the Crusader cast the Quick Potion spell in order to have free Wizard and Druid potions.
Most notably, we're thinking about using them in combat to buff the Spellthief and the Paladin with Personal spells.

Is there anything else except the Delay Potion feat that let us benefit from a potion as a swift action?
I remember a mundane item that injects a potion directly in your veins, but can't find it. Did I imagine such a thing?

Vizzerdrix
2018-04-24, 09:29 AM

Is there anything else except the Delay Potion feat that let us benefit from a potion as a swift action?
I remember a mundane item that injects a potion directly in your veins, but can't find it. Did I imagine such a thing?

They are in eberron. Magic of eberron, i think. Look for a pic of things that look like those watering bulbs ya stick inna plant pot.

Also look for alchemy capsules in one of the completes, and the sprayer the book that has beast heart adept in it.

Also some (one of?) of the faerun books have potion belts and bandoleers that should let you use them faster.

I apologise for poor spelling and direction on particular books. It has been a long, long night for me.

noce
2018-04-24, 10:32 AM
They are in eberron. Magic of eberron, i think. Look for a pic of things that look like those watering bulbs ya stick inna plant pot.

Magic of Eberron doesn't seem to contain that item. I'll try other Eberron books.

Uncle Pine
2018-04-24, 11:13 AM
A quick search brought up potion bladder (DotU), ready-drink helmet (Dragon #294) and bloodspikes (MoE, probably what Vizzerdrix was referring to), but I'm AFB and unable to check the specific items to see if they fit your needs.

Darrin
2018-04-24, 11:51 AM

Spellvials. Magic of Eberron p. 54. They are essentially potions that you can inject as a swift action or throw as a ranged touch attack. However, only spells that target other creatures (no personal or area-effect spells) can be brewed into spellvials.

Also look for alchemy capsules in one of the completes, and the sprayer the book that has beast heart adept in it.

Alchemy capsules by RAW only work with alchemical liquids or poisons. However, if you wanted to use them to deploy a potion or oil, I don't think you'd get much resistance there.

The Sprayer doesn't appear in Dungeonscape. I think you're referring to the Sprayer in the Arms & Equipment Guide (p. 20), but again, the text only mentions uses with alchemical liquids rather than potions.

Also some (one of?) of the faerun books have potion belts and bandoleers that should let you use them faster.

A Potion Belt (FRCS p. 97) allows you to draw a potion into your hand as a free action, but it's still a standard action that provokes to drink it.

Potion Bladder (Drow of the Underdark p. 92) allows you to drink a potion without provoking an attack of opportunity, but it still counts as a standard action. The same book has the Mister, which can be used to deliver poisons or potions as a 5' ranged touch attack. You can deliver a potion to yourself this way automatically, but by my reading it would still count as an attack action of some sort.

Outside of spellvials, the only way I know of to speed up the action required to drink a potion is to make sure the potion contains alcohol, or mix it with some alcohol, and then use Drunken Master's "Drink Like a Demon" to consume it as a move action.

noce
2018-04-24, 12:26 PM

Wow! How extensive! Thank you!

Vizzerdrix
2018-04-24, 12:31 PM
The Sprayer doesn't appear in Dungeonscape. I think you're referring to the Sprayer in the Arms & Equipment Guide (p. 20), but again, the text only mentions uses with alchemical liquids rather than potions.

A Potion Belt (FRCS p. 97) allows you to draw a potion into your hand as a free action, but it's still a standard action that provokes to drink it.

Hmm... The one that you can put onto weapons and armor isn't in that book? It applies oils and such. It had a colored picture with a greenish liquid in it and was on a shield. I will look tomorrow morning after I get home from work.

Also, I love using masterwork potion belts for the base item in healing belts. So handy for constructing first aid kits.

Uncle Pine
2018-04-24, 12:32 PM
I had time to check and the ready-drink helmet works: you can place one potion (up to six) in it as a move action, ready two of them as a move action and drink up to a pair of readied potion as a free action. However, note that falling prone has a 25% chance of spilling any remaining potion.

Darrin
2018-04-24, 01:09 PM
Hmm... The one that you can put onto weapons and armor isn't in that book? It applies oils and such. It had a colored picture with a greenish liquid in it and was on a shield. I will look tomorrow morning after I get home from work.

You are correct. I missed Oil Chambers, Dungeonscape p. 33. Swift action to spray a potion or oil on a weapon or piece of armor. But the rules don't mention trying to drink a potion from such a device... sounds like that could get messy.

I also forgot to mention the Ready-Drink Helm (Dragon #294), but Uncle Pine has it covered.