PDA

View Full Version : Faith and the Blade

Suteinu
2018-04-24, 09:28 AM
Hallo, Giants!

My goal: to make a primarily Cleric character who is a swashbuckler. Now, this will largely be done with attitude, yes, but I would like him to also be a decent sword-and-buckler man or some other form of light-on-armor kind of swordsman. Multiclassing into Fighter (Champion, Battle Master) or Rogue (Assassin, Mastermind, Swashbuckler) each seem good routes, but I want to know if you guys have any advice.

Right now, I have him as a Waterdhavian Noble for background. An eldest son, his pre-determined life of taking over the family business is set aside when he is chosen by (insert deity here, probably Kelemvor) as a vessel or other type of "chosen one." So he isn't a Cleric by training or epiphany, he is one whether he likes it or not.

Human, probably variant, rolled stats. Starting at level 5, going probably to level 12.

Thoughts?

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-04-24, 09:35 AM
Biggest question: how essential are the mechanics of the cleric class to what you have in mind? Could you instead play a sword or valor bard, using an identical background, and rationalize your bardic casting and inspirations as divine power?

Scyrner
2018-04-24, 09:38 AM
I'd go for 3 levels in Rogue Swashbuckler and then maybe Trickster Cleric.

Suteinu
2018-04-24, 12:49 PM
Biggest question: how essential are the mechanics of the cleric class to what you have in mind? Could you instead play a sword or valor bard, using an identical background, and rationalize your bardic casting and inspirations as divine power?

Pretty essential for now. Part of it is to see how viable it is, but story-wise I want to emphasise the relationship between the god amd the chosen.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-04-24, 12:56 PM
Pretty essential for now. Part of it is to see how viable it is, but story-wise I want to emphasise the relationship between the god amd the chosen.

And presumably you don't think the mechanics of bard or paladin could support that relationship?

I'll have a look tonight and see what I can come up with for this type of cleric.

Vogie
2018-04-24, 01:03 PM
Right now, I have him as a Waterdhavian Noble for background. An eldest son, his pre-determined life of taking over the family business is set aside when he is chosen by (insert deity here, probably Kelemvor) as a vessel or other type of "chosen one." So he isn't a Cleric by training or epiphany, he is one whether he likes it or not.

Human, probably variant, rolled stats. Starting at level 5, going probably to level 12.

I like the background... I would probably emphasize that bestowed/vessel/chosen more the official Cleric, which is more a training based thing

To make it martial, you could go:

Paladin 2 / Divine Soul Sorcerer 3+ : Traditional Sorcadin route for a Gish, just eschew the heavy armor
Fighter 1 / Celestial Blade Warlock 4+ : Dexterity Gish with your choice of armor & weapons
Swashbuckler Rogue 3 / Celestial Warlock 2+ : The other type of Dexterity Gish, but leaves your pact options open.
Kensai Monk 3 / Cleric X : Using the Kensai monk mechanics to replicate a skilled fighter/swashbuckler feel. You'll likely want to eventually get up to monk 5 for an additional attack (or up to 6 for magical attacks).

TerakasTaranath
2018-04-24, 01:23 PM
In my group I have created a "title" for clerics and paladins. I call them men/women of faith and steel. My players love it and I love to say it as often as I can! Idk how you feel about it but please feel free to carry on my groups tradition!:D

And I quite like the build idea. Kelemvor is a bad ass deity.

strangebloke
2018-04-24, 01:29 PM
vHuman with the Prodigy Feat. Go for thieve's tools, expertise in stealth or acrobatics, and whatever skills you think are fun.

Arcana Cleric 5. Booming blade and GFB are fun options. Wear a breast plate for 18 AC with your shield. The booming blade keeps your attack damage worthwhile

More or less how I'd do it. Go into rogue for 2-3 levels for the damage and class features, or go into fighter for two levels for action surge. Either is strong.

Unoriginal
2018-04-24, 01:39 PM
Hallo, Giants!

My goal: to make a primarily Cleric character who is a swashbuckler. Now, this will largely be done with attitude, yes, but I would like him to also be a decent sword-and-buckler man or some other form of light-on-armor kind of swordsman. Multiclassing into Fighter (Champion, Battle Master) or Rogue (Assassin, Mastermind, Swashbuckler) each seem good routes, but I want to know if you guys have any advice.

Thoughts?

Take one of the domains that grant proficiency with shields (ex: Tempest)

Put as much as you can into DEX.

Take a race that grants you proficiency with a Finesse bladed weapon or the feat that let you have it (Weaponmaster I believe), if possible a rapier.

And here ya go. It's a basis, though, you should do the fine tuning according to your idea.

It's not going to be the most powerful or optimized character, but it's more than viable.

Ventruenox
2018-04-24, 02:15 PM
If third party products are allowed at your table, there is a Rogue archetype in Xanathar's Lost Notes to Everything Else that seems a good fit. The Divine Herald has the Arcane Trickster spell progression, but you pull from the Cleric list. Your Sneak Attack does radiant damage instead of piercing or slashing, and you get a few religious ribbon abilities.

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-24, 05:04 PM
Take one of the domains that grant proficiency with shields (ex: Tempest)

Put as much as you can into DEX.

Take a race that grants you proficiency with a Finesse bladed weapon or the feat that let you have it (Weaponmaster I believe), if possible a rapier.

And here ya go. It's a basis, though, you should do the fine tuning according to your idea.

It's not going to be the most powerful or optimized character, but it's more than viable.

Cleric gets Proficiency with Medium Armor and Shields from the base chassis.
Some Domains give Heavy Armor and/or Martial Weapon proficiency as well.

Tempest and War give both, Nature and Life give just Heavy Armor, Death gives just Martial Weapons, for instance.

I do agree with getting a way to use rapiers, and pump the Dex as high as it'll go.
Perhaps a dip of Fighter to get the Dueling or Mariner fighting style, depending on how much you want to go into the 'swashbuckler' thing beyond mostly RP and flavor.
You could try Trickster Domain, but I'm not entirely sure how effective that would be. Might as wel go for Tempest and have some Divine backup for whoever dares strike you.

Talionis
2018-04-25, 10:46 AM
vHuman with the Prodigy Feat. Go for thieve's tools, expertise in stealth or acrobatics, and whatever skills you think are fun.

Arcana Cleric 5. Booming blade and GFB are fun options. Wear a breast plate for 18 AC with your shield. The booming blade keeps your attack damage worthwhile

More or less how I'd do it. Go into rogue for 2-3 levels for the damage and class features, or go into fighter for two levels for action surge. Either is strong.

I would vote for the Arcana Cleric, with Rogue to taste. I am very leery of suggesting Swashbuckler because you'll be pretty MAD and probably won't have the Charisma, Wisdom, Dexterity and Constitution to make that worth doing. But I am very happy with Arcane Trickster which will add a little more spells known, and help you not to fall too far behind in casting. Thief is underplayed. Xanathar's has some good options as well, with Scout being a decent option.

strangebloke
2018-04-25, 11:37 AM
Should add: if you're picking up rogue levels anyway, dump prodigy, take magic initiate for the blade cantrips, and go for tempest over arcana. Better weapon options and better melee tools.

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-25, 01:43 PM
Should add: if you're picking up rogue levels anyway, dump prodigy, take magic initiate for the blade cantrips, and go for tempest over arcana. Better weapon options and better melee tools.

Noy to mention that Tempest gets to maximize damage from a Booming Blade with their Channel Divinity.

Though that's probably best left to spells with more than 3d8 Thunder damage..

strangebloke
2018-04-25, 03:41 PM
Noy to mention that Tempest gets to maximize damage from a Booming Blade with their Channel Divinity.

Though that's probably best left to spells with more than 3d8 Thunder damage..

I just wish the lightning strike ability let you push someone away with thunder damage.

T'would be absurd.

MeeposFire
2018-04-25, 06:38 PM
I just wish the lightning strike ability let you push someone away with thunder damage.

T'would be absurd.

Character should devote some time looking or creating a weapon that deals lightning damage. Thematic, fun, and lets you combine more of your abilities. Can't be sure you will ever get one but it is certainly a worthy weapon for a storm priest.