PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Spontaneous X feats from Complete Divine.

thorr-kan
2018-04-24, 11:34 AM
Spontaneous Healer, Summoner and Wounder give you the ability to spontaneously cast a spell by using an existing spell slot. All have the same verbiage:
1. You to have a spell of that type on your spells known list to qualify for the feat. Quote: "able to cast any <prerequisite> spell."
2. You get to spontaneously cast a spell. Quote: "You can use your spellcasting ability to sponta*neously cast <x> spells (from your class spell list) just as a <divine spellcaster> can."

My question is triggered by the "(from your class spell list)" clause. Does the spell you want to spontaneously cast have to be on your spell list, or can you cast any of that type of spell?

Forex, I'm a cleric. I have the Animal domain, which grants SNA IV as a 4th level spell. I also took Spontaneous Summoner. If I channel a 4th level spell to spontaneously cast an SNA spell, am I limited to SNA IV or can I cast SNA II if I want?

SPONTANEOUS SUMMONER [GENERAL]

Prerequisites: Wis 13, Knowledge (nature) 4 ranks, any neutral alignment (NG, LN, N, CN, or NE), able to cast any summon nature’s ally spell.

Benefit: You can spontaneously cast summon nature’s ally spells (from your class spell list) just as a druid can. You may use this ability a total number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier.
ETA: Bad example. Example has been updated.

Warchon
2018-04-25, 09:08 AM
Response removed due to a change in the question asked

Warchon
2018-04-25, 09:13 AM
Response removed due to a change in the question

Karl Aegis
2018-04-25, 12:15 PM
Clerics "lose" a prepared spell. You need to have a prepared spell to "lose" a prepared spell. Sorcerers don't normally prepare spells. You need a way to prepare spells for this feat to do anything.

Jay R
2018-04-25, 12:50 PM
Ask your DM. If the rule is not completely clear and unambiguous, the DM will make the final decision.

[Even if the rule is completely clear and unambiguous, the DM can choose to make the final decision, but that's a little less obvious.]

Goaty14
2018-04-25, 01:01 PM
You'd be limited to CLW if you have an 11 WIS, but a CSW if you have 13+

thorr-kan
2018-04-25, 03:18 PM
Bad example. Original post has been updated.

Karl Aegis
2018-04-25, 04:00 PM
As a cleric you don't have Summon Nature's Ally on your class list. You need something else to add any Summon Nature's Ally spells to your class list. Domain spells are not added to your class list.

thorr-kan
2018-04-25, 05:27 PM
As a cleric you don't have Summon Nature's Ally on your class list. You need something else to add any Summon Nature's Ally spells to your class list. Domain spells are not added to your class list.
Hence the Summoner domain, which, as noted, which grants SNA IV as a 4th level spell.

Karl Aegis
2018-04-25, 05:37 PM
Domain spells are not added to your class list.

Goaty14
2018-04-25, 06:07 PM
Re: New Example

SNA IV notes that you can use it for lower-list creatures, with the exception that you summon more of them. Summon Monster also works like this.

1d3 3rd-level creatures of the same kind, or 1d4+1 lower-level creatures of the same kind.

However, Karl Aegis is right: Domain spells aren't on your class list. If you had arcane spellcasting, you could use arcane disciple to add them to your class list, but not as a cleric*.

*Except if you used alternative source spell or southern magician (both feats) to get arcane disciple, but then you're jumping too many hoops.

thorr-kan
2018-07-20, 02:58 PM
Domain spells are not added to your class list.
On a further deep review, I accede. Cleric spells are not domain spells, and vice versa, though a spell may be both a domain and a cleric spell. (Zone of truth, forex; Cleric 2, Inquisition 2.)

*But*...I found a loophole!

The religious adept (ECS, p256) can select a single domain. "An adept does not gain bonus domain spells as a cleric does, but she adds the spells of her domain to her regular adept spell list and can prepare these spells in place of her usual spells."

So the Spontaneous X feats would work for an adept, provided you can find a way to get cause wounds anzd/or summon nature's ally on your adept spell list.

It's minor, but it's something.

ETA: Never mind.

Bucky
2018-07-20, 03:03 PM
Destruction domain has inflict light and critical wounds.

thorr-kan
2018-07-20, 03:26 PM
Destruction domain has inflict light and critical wounds.
Animal has Summon Nature's Ally 4 and 8, so that's available.

It's getting a domain for an adept that's tricky.

ETA: Never mind. Got Domain Spontaneity confused with Spontaneous X again.

KillianHawkeye
2018-07-21, 12:56 PM
I'm pretty sure the Spontaneous Summoner and Spontaneous Healer feats were mainly meant for people like Paladins and Rangers who have access to those spells but don't get the class ability to convert prepared spells spontaneously like a Cleric or Druid does.

Allanimal
2018-07-22, 04:20 PM
I'm pretty sure the Spontaneous Summoner and Spontaneous Healer feats were mainly meant for people like Paladins and Rangers who have access to those spells but don't get the class ability to convert prepared spells spontaneously like a Cleric or Druid does.

They work well on the spirit shaman, found in the same book.

thorr-kan
2018-07-22, 05:25 PM
They work well on the spirit shaman, found in the same book.
Also, some flavors of shugenja who've chosen the right spells known.

Or N clerics of appropriate gods.

Adding spontaneous casting to a prepared caster is always a plus.