PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By RAW) IV

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Curmudgeon
2007-09-18, 12:31 PM
Q 120

How do you adjust enemies to maintain the same level of Challenge Ratings (CRs) for a party that's significantly larger than the standard 4 PCs? Here's all that I've been able to find:
Parties with five or more members can often take on monsters with higher CRs, and parties of three or fewer are challenged by monsters with lower CRs. The game rules account for these facts by dividing the XP earned by the number of characters in the party. This would have me just throw twice as many encounters with monsters picked to match the CR of a standard 4-PC party at my 8-PC party, and I really don't want to set up a whole lot of tedious cakewalks. I want to know how to adjust the enemies so a party of 8 level n PCs have the same challenge as a party of 4 level n PCs will when facing CRn enemies.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-18, 12:34 PM
A120 There is no hard-and-fast rule for this, but I generally increase the CR of encounters by 1 for each 1.5 party members beyond 4, rounding down. 4 ECL 5 characters fight at CR 5, 5 at CR 5, 6 at CR 6.5, 7 at CR 6.5, 8 at CR 8, etc.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-18, 12:46 PM
A120

Try this site (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20encountercalculator.htm) as well.

Yvanehtnioj
2007-09-18, 10:38 PM
Q121

Concerning the prestige class, "Elemental Savant," what exactly happens to a savant's armor/weapons/equipment when they reach the tenth level of the ES prestige class? [This is when a 'human' would have their race changed to 'elemental'.]

(i.e.:)
a) if air-based, would your stuff become air too; fire, then fire? if taken off your stuff reverts to normal, then? it could then be given/taken to another PC?
b) or--does just your body become that element, yet you can somehow still wear everything?
c) or--should i treat it like the druid "shapechange" ability, whereby i am 'permanently' melded with my stuff?

Q122

Please clarify for me: I understand that some undead have the ability to bestow negative levels upon others, which can lead to drained levels if not healed in time; but always the most recent one.
If your most recent level was the tenth level of the "Elemental Savant" prestige class--whereupon you became an elemental--then when you are drained of your level....do you lose your elemental-ness? Or, do you remain an elemental yet lose only the (numerical) level?

Reinboom
2007-09-19, 12:48 AM
A121
There is nothing in either the elemental type or Elemental Perfection that I can see that would change your equipment, so no on 'A)'. Also, in order to work as wild shape it usually defines/references wild shape, so no on account 'C)' as well. Thus "b) or--does just your body become that element, yet you can somehow still wear everything?" would be the logical conclusion based on RAW.

A122

Level Loss

A character who loses a level instantly loses one Hit Die. The character’s base attack bonus, base saving throw bonuses, and special class abilities are now reduced to the new, lower level. Likewise, the character loses any ability score gain, skill ranks, and any feat associated with the level (if applicable). If the exact ability score or skill ranks increased from a level now lost is unknown (or the player has forgotten), lose 1 point from the highest ability score or ranks from the highest-ranked skills. If a familiar or companion creature has abilities tied to a character who has lost a level, the creature’s abilities are adjusted to fit the character’s new level.

The victim’s experience point total is immediately set to the midpoint of the previous level.

Special Abilities

A special ability is either extraordinary, spell-like, or supernatural in nature.
RAW, by my conclusion from these two since the Elemental Perfection is not "either extraordinary, spell-like, or supernatural in nature.", you do not lose Elemental Perfection.
Edit: Silvanos corrected below.

Q123
On page 106 of Faiths of Eberron, in the Ex-Planar Shepherds section, it makes note that "you must begin again at 1st level of the prestige class", this hints that one could take a prestige class more than once. Are there any other references, statements, or anything to further support this anywhere?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-19, 01:08 AM
A. 122 Correction

A122

RAW, by my conclusion from these two since the Elemental Perfection is not "either extraordinary, spell-like, or supernatural in nature.", you do not lose Elemental Perfection.

Elemental Perfection is a special ability gained from you class HD/level, so if you are permanently drained the last level of the prestige class you would also lose your Elemental Type.

A. 123

Q123
On page 106 of Faiths of Eberron, in the Ex-Planar Shepherds section, it makes note that "you must begin again at 1st level of the prestige class", this hints that one could take a prestige class more than once. Are there any other references, statements, or anything to further support this anywhere?

Not to my knowledge.

Killer Qban
2007-09-19, 01:25 AM
Q. 124

How many scrolls fit in a standard scrollcase?

Reinboom
2007-09-19, 02:17 AM
A. 124
Not defined by RAW to the best of my knowledge.
Here (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-499715.html)'s a discussion on it in wizard's archives.

Q. 125
Are there any prestige classes that would allow me to increase druid and cleric caster levels, though not necessarily fully progression, simultaneously?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-19, 02:37 AM
A. 124 Addendum

There is an Infinite Scrollcase in Magic of Eberron (perhaps also in MIC) that can hold 50 scrolls IIRC. (It has other benefits)

House rule:

However, since a single scroll can hold several* spells it seems reasonable to limit it to one scroll per scrollcase if it is to be retrieved normally.

Common sense should prevail as it sometimes does.

*: several is also undefined.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-19, 07:14 AM
Q126
Is there a feat that allows an arcane caster to cast in light armor, like a bard does? Or a prestige class ability that doesn't lose him caster levels?

A125
I think a Divine Bard plus Mystic Theurge would do the trick.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-19, 07:44 AM
A. 126

No, but there is a Battle Sorcerer variant in Unearthed Arcane and the Battle Caster feat from Complete Arcane that allows you to ignore arcane spell failure for an armor type heavier than the normal, but only if you already have the ability to ignore spell failure for an armor type.

Douglas
2007-09-19, 09:34 AM
A126
The Master Spellthief feat from Complete Scoundrel does that, but it requires one level in Spellthief.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-19, 11:09 AM
A. 124

How many scrolls fit in a standard scrollcase?

It is not specifically stated by RAW however there is some data on scrolls that can help you make an educated guess.

Physical Description

A scroll is a heavy sheet of fine vellum or high-quality paper. An area about 8 ½ inches wide and 11 inches long is sufficient to hold one spell. The sheet is reinforced at the top and bottom with strips of leather slightly longer than the sheet is wide. A scroll holding more than one spell has the same width (about 8 ½ inches) but is an extra foot or so long for each extra spell. Scrolls that hold three or more spells are usually fitted with reinforcing rods at each end rather than simple strips of leather. A scroll has AC 9, 1 hit point, hardness 0, and a break DC of 8.

To protect it from wrinkling or tearing, a scroll is rolled up from both ends to form a double cylinder. (This also helps the user unroll the scroll quickly.) The scroll is placed in a tube of ivory, jade, leather, metal, or wood. Most scroll cases are inscribed with magic symbols which often identify the owner or the spells stored on the scrolls inside. The symbols often hide magic traps.

A scroll case is listed as weighing 1/2 lb. A similar container, the belt pouch (leather) weighs 1/2 lbs and can hold 1/5 cu. ft. of volume. A 9" tube (sufficiently long to hold rolled scroll) would be about 7" in diameter. Personal experimentation with a sheet of paper leads me to believe a rolled scroll would be about 2" in diameter. If that is the case, then seven scrolls could be put into that case in a hexagonal pattern with one in the middle.

However, leather is only one of the options for scroll case material. The other materials would hold less volume given the same weight. Thus, a scroll case could hold between one and seven scrolls. Since this is a relatively cheap mundane item, one could simply go to a crafter of appropriate skill and ask for a custom case made to hold a specific volume. Personally, I favor bamboo for the ease of fabrication (cut it just below a knee and then at about 9" and throw a leather cap on it).

Part of the problem with the quantities in a case is the readying times. An analogous action would be the difference between drawing a weapon from a sheath and drawing a weapon from your pack. Both require a move action, but drawing from the pack provokes an attack of opportunity. In the case of scrolls, drawing A scroll would not draw an attack, but drawing a SPECIFIC scroll would. Thus it behooves you to either store one scroll per case or one type of scroll per case. You may also need to unroll the scroll as a second manipulate item move action. In combat this can be a problem so I recommend multiple combat spells on a single (long) scroll to avoid the extra item manipulations.

Finally, one page can hold one spell, add 1 foot to the length of the scroll for each additional spell. Random scroll generation allows 1d6 spells per scroll (major scroll) so a theoretical maximum of 6. This would be a 6' long scroll which is made from vellum (usually). Vellum is stretched and dried animal skill (usually sheep). So you can see how there would be a logical maximum length of scroll based on the continuous length of skin on a sheep.

RMS Oceanic
2007-09-19, 01:47 PM
Q 127

Do force effects that grant an AC bonus (such as Mage Armor and Bracers of Armor) add that AC bonus to your touch AC?

Awetugiw
2007-09-19, 01:52 PM
A 127. Not if the effects give an armor (or shield, or natural armor) bonus, like the ones you mentioned.

Jasdoif
2007-09-19, 01:55 PM
A127

No. As force effects, they do apply against incorporeal touch attacks, but those are different then touch attacks.

Yes, it's rather confusing.

Belkarseviltwin
2007-09-19, 02:39 PM
So you can see how there would be a logical maximum length of scroll based on the continuous length of skin on a sheep.

However, several skins can be attached together. For instance, a Torah scroll is very much more than 6ft long.

Killer Qban
2007-09-19, 05:11 PM
Q. 128

Do undead have "sight"? or is it some funky "lifeforce sight"?

Can they see through Invisibility?

Zherog
2007-09-19, 05:17 PM
A 128

By default, undead cannot see invisible creatures. If they could, it would be listed under the traits for the type.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-19, 05:38 PM
Re: A 128

What Zherog said applies to any other possible application of "lifesight" as well.

I believe that certain specific undead from various supplements do have a lifesense ability. This ability is explicitly called out in their descriptions.

Douglas
2007-09-19, 05:39 PM
A128
For a longer, more detailed, and somewhat rant-ish answer, see Undead Don't Have Special Eyesight (http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/rants/undeadseethroughillusions.html).

Fax Celestis
2007-09-19, 06:01 PM
A128
For a longer, more detailed, and somewhat rant-ish answer, see Undead Don't Have Special Eyesight (http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/rants/undeadseethroughillusions.html).

Damn, beaten to it.

Jasdoif
2007-09-19, 06:14 PM
A128

In general, creatures of the Undead type have darkvision out to 60 feet. Darkvision is a visual sense, so undead creatures indeed have sight. As mentioned in darkvision's description, it does not allow creatures to see invisible creatures, or identify illusions as illusory, or otherwise allow a creature to discern things that normal sight couldn't.

I believe that certain specific undead from various supplements do have a lifesense ability. This ability is explicitly called out in their descriptions.The core dread wraith (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wraith.htm#dreadWraith) has such an ability.

dyslexicfaser
2007-09-20, 01:09 AM
Q129
Does using the metamagic Fell Animate (Libris Mortis) to raise the mooks you kill, activate Corpsecrafter/Desecrate bonuses for creating undead?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-20, 01:28 AM
A. 129

Yes, but note that Corpsecrafter only works with Necromancy spells.

Alleine
2007-09-20, 09:01 AM
Q 130

Can a PC take more than one sacred vow and gain all the bonuses from both?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-20, 09:10 AM
A. 130

Yes.

theterran
2007-09-20, 09:52 AM
Q131 At level 3 a Duskblade gains the power to channel touch attacks through a melee weapon (standard attack) and gains one for Full-Attack at a later level, at level 6 he gains two attacks through his BAB. When attacking at level 6 with the two attacks in one round, can a Duskblade channel one spell per attack, or would it just be one attack with a channeled spell and one normal attack, or none of the above?

Q132 Does the Armored Mage (Light) Ability for Beguilers let them have light shield proficiency as well, or is it strictly armor?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-20, 10:22 AM
A 132
Light armor and Light shields are two different types of object. The beguiler's Armored Mage ability is restricted to armor. When armored mage grants the ability to ignore arcane spell failure from shields, it is explicitly mentioned, as in the case of the Warmage and Duskblade.

Charity
2007-09-20, 10:39 AM
A 131 The duskblades channel spell is a standerd action i.e. once per round, you can make a full attack or channel a single spell, at higher level they are given the ability to channel on a full attack I believe....

Arcane Channeling: Starting at 3rd level, a duskblade can use a standard action to deliver touch-range spells he knows through his weapon as a melee attack, provided that the spell has a casting time of one standard action or less. A successful attack delivers normal damage from the weapon and delivers the spell as well. Casting a spell this way does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Starting at 13th level, a duskblade can use this power as part of the full attack action, and the channeled spell affects each target the duskblade hits in melee during that round.

there you go

Dr. Weasel
2007-09-20, 10:59 AM
Q133

With the Master Spellthief feat, do arcane caster levels and Spellthief levels stack to determine the level of spells a Spellthief can hold or only what he can remove from his opponents?

Fax Celestis
2007-09-20, 10:59 AM
Q134 If I have the Abjurant Champion's fifth level ability--the one that sets my Caster Level equal to my BAB, if my BAB is higher than my CL--and I cast divine power, does my Caster Level change?

Fax Celestis
2007-09-20, 11:00 AM
A133 It is unclear. A strict reading says the latter is true, but it is a reasonable assumption to assume the former statement.

Dr. Weasel
2007-09-20, 11:03 AM
A134
Yes, but not relating to the Divine Power effect as it came into play before its benefit.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-20, 11:09 AM
A134
Yes, but not relating to the Divine Power effect as it came into play before its benefit.

How do you mean?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-20, 11:19 AM
A. 134

Q134 If I have the Abjurant Champion's fifth level ability--the one that sets my Caster Level equal to my BAB, if my BAB is higher than my CL

You just said your CL was equal to your BAB. :smalltongue:

--and I cast divine power, does my Caster Level change?

Yes, both increase after you cast Divine Power Cheese.

Character level = BAB = Caster Level

Fax Celestis
2007-09-20, 11:24 AM
A. 134

You just said your CL was equal to your BAB. :smalltongue:

Yes, both increase after you cast Divine Power Cheese.

Character level = BAB = Caster Level

Excellent. UMD-Gishly doom, here I come.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-20, 11:31 AM
Excellent. UMD-Gishly doom, here I come.

Yeah Fax Celescheese, just remember that Mage Armor is not an Abjuration spell. :smalltongue:

Douglas
2007-09-20, 11:40 AM
No, but Greater Luminous Armor is and is so much better too. :smallbiggrin:

Bryn
2007-09-20, 02:00 PM
Q135
A question about the Tome of Battle:
At level 4, a Warblade learns a new stance. According to the table on page 39, this stance has to be 2nd level or lower. However, looking at the maneuver and stance list, there are no 2nd level stances. There are, on the other hand, plenty of 3rd level stances, at least one of which can only be accessed by Warblades (which rules out the stances on this level being for other classes only).
Do I have to choose a first level stance, or am I reading the rules wrong?

Fax Celestis
2007-09-20, 02:11 PM
Q135
A question about the Tome of Battle:
At level 4, a Warblade learns a new stance. According to the table on page 39, this stance has to be 2nd level or lower. However, looking at the maneuver and stance list, there are no 2nd level stances. There are, on the other hand, plenty of 3rd level stances, at least one of which can only be accessed by Warblades (which rules out the stances on this level being for other classes only).
Do I have to choose a first level stance, or am I reading the rules wrong?

A135 You do have to choose a first-level one, unless you have a way to alternatively raise your Initiator Level (such as three levels in Crusader or Swordsage).

Bryn
2007-09-20, 02:15 PM
OK... that's disappointing. I wonder why they bother with the 3rd-level stances, since you're almost certgainly going to be taking a higher level stance when you get a new one anyway... apart from initiator level raising ploys like you mentinoned, of course :smallcool:

cupkeyk
2007-09-20, 03:40 PM
Q136

When an initiator takes up a prestige class, does he still have the option of swapping an older maneuver for a newer one at every even level after fourth? This seems to be overlooked in ToB:BoNS but with out it, initiator PRC's get terribly gimped by getting only half as much higher level maneuvers as the initiator base classes do.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-20, 03:43 PM
A136 Since that is a feature of the base class, PrCing out of the base class means that you no longer have the ability to use that feature upon leveling up.

Dr. Weasel
2007-09-20, 03:55 PM
Q137
Does the Steal Spell ability count towards feats and prestige classes requiring spellcasting of a certain level? (Does a level 5 Spellthief/Level 1 Wizard qualify for Master Spellthief?)

Fax Celestis
2007-09-20, 04:18 PM
Q137
Does the Steal Spell ability count towards feats and prestige classes requiring spellcasting of a certain level? (Does a level 5 Spellthief/Level 1 Wizard qualify for Master Spellthief?)

A137 I actually asked WotC Custserv about this, and the answer is no. This is the question and response I received:

Can a Spellthief use his Steal Spell ability to qualify for prestige classes that require the ability to cast spells of X level? Can he use his Steal Spell ability to qualify for prestige classes that require the ability to cast a specific spell? Can he use his Steal Spell-Like Ability ability to qualify for prestige classes that require a specific spell-like ability (such as any prestige class that requires Eldritch Blast)?

Thank you for writing. The Steal Spell ability does not qualify the Spellthief for prestige classes that require spellcasting ability, regardless of the spell stolen.

This thread also contains a discussion about the same question. The answer determined by the thread was--generally--"no."

dyslexicfaser
2007-09-20, 05:28 PM
Q 138
Does Eagle's Splendor increase cleric's turn/rebuke attempts?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-20, 05:42 PM
A. 138

Yes, but you have to track how many daily uses you have used and expended continuously.

Example:
A cleric with 10 in charisma has 3 turn attempts/day.
If the cleric casts Eagle's Splendor he/she would potentially have 5 attempts while under the effect of the spell.
If the cleric uses 4 attempts before the spell ends the cleric would be unable to turn until the next day when the charisma drops to 10 again. (4 attempts used and but only 3/day)
If the cleric then casts Eagle's Splendor again he/she could turn again, but only once. (4 attempts used and 5/day)
Subsequent castings would not give the cleric any further turn attempts. (But donning a Cloak of Charisma +6 would give one more)

Dhavaer
2007-09-20, 09:38 PM
Q 139

Is the DC of the jump made with the Sudden Leap maneuver doubled for lack of a running start?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-21, 02:41 AM
A. 139

Yes, it says that you move the distance determined by your check result and without a running start the DC is doubled.

cupkeyk
2007-09-21, 09:21 AM
Q140

Is the free five foot step from Net and Trident (CW), aside from the five foot adjustment you are allowed any turn you make a full round action or full attack?

Can you include unarmed strikes with the full attack(if you IUS, TWF and Snapkick) that Net and Trident grants?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-21, 09:51 AM
A 140
You cannot take a normal five-foot step if you make any other movement in a round.

...I don't think the five-foot step mentioned in the feat description is necessarily a benefit of the feat so much a note as to how you close in with your opponent. i.e. It's the normal five-foot step you can take each round, but the feat is just telling you when to take it. (By this reading, the only benefit gained from the feat is a free attack with the net.)

It says you get to make a full attack with your trident. This would seem to indicate you can only use your trident. Though I suppose, you could say a trident jab and a kick is a "full attack with your trident" insofar as it is a full attack that includes an attack with the trident. I don't know if there's really a hard RAW ruling here.

Randal Flagg
2007-09-21, 04:01 PM
Q141

The PrC "Unseen Seer" (Complete mage, I think) recieves a - 3 caster level penalty on everything else than divination, where he recieves +3 caster levels, when he is maxed out around level 9 or so.

Will taking the feat "practiced caster" cancel those - 3 caster levels??

(just edited a couple of mistakes)

Jasdoif
2007-09-21, 04:04 PM
A141

Yes. You apply the bonus from Practiced Spellcaster whenever it would be more beneficial to do so, so you could indeed apply it after the -2 penalty on your caster level.

Reinboom
2007-09-21, 04:32 PM
Q141 b
For the above question (and answer), what about using practiced spellcaster with wild mage? Would it be 50% of the time you cast higher, otherwise, you cast normal?

Jasdoif
2007-09-21, 04:42 PM
A141b

The FAQ covers this (if I understand your question correctly), so I'll just quote it.

How does Practiced Spellcaster interact with the wild magic class feature of the wild mage (from Complete Arcane)?

The –3 penalty and +1d6 bonus to the wild mage’s caster level are applied as a single step in the process of determining the wild mage’s caster level. Since Practiced Spellcaster’s bonus is always applied when it is most beneficial to the character (see previous answer), a wild mage with Practiced Spellcaster would typically apply the wild magic class feature first (subtracting 3 and adding 1d6 to her caster level) and then add the Practiced Spellcaster benefit, up to a maximum value equal to her character level.

For example, if a 5th-level wizard/4th-level wild mage with Practiced Spellcaster rolled a 1 on the 1d6 bonus to her caster level, her caster level for that spell would be 9th (base 9th, –3 from wild magic penalty, +1 from wild magic bonus, +4 from Practiced Spellcaster up to a maximum equal to her character level). If she rolled a 6, her caster level would be 12th (base 9th, –3 from wild magic penalty, +6 from wild magic bonus; the Practiced Spellcaster bonus would not apply since it would increase her caster level above her character level).

On the other hand, imagine a wild mage whose caster level (before applying the effects of the wild magic class feature) is less than her character level, such as a wild mage with levels of rogue or other non-spellcasting class. She might well choose to apply the Practiced Spellcaster bonus first, before applying the wild magic modifiers. A rogue 4/wizard 5/wild mage 4 would have a base caster level of 9th before any other modifiers are applied. Adding Practiced Spellcaster’s bonus would increase this to 13th, at which point the penalty and bonus from wild magic would be applied. The Sage recommends that players averse to frequently recalculating caster level avoid playing a character with this combination, as it is likely to cause headaches.

Kellus
2007-09-21, 07:12 PM
Q142.

Does the factotum (Dungeonscape) keep inspiration points he has not spent after an encounter is ended to use out of battle?

Also, does his Brains Over Brawn class feature apply to initiative checks, being essentially a Dexterity check?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-09-21, 08:05 PM
Q143

Does the Throw Anything (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Throw_Anything,CW) feat (Complete Warrior) allow me to make ranged unarmed attacks?

Zen Master
2007-09-22, 03:50 AM
Q: 144 Animal companion advancement

Say my druid has a wolf as his companion (the druid being 4th or 5th level or some such). Now, the wolf will get the first tier of bonuses from the animal companion table (it's on SRD), granting it something like 2 hd, +1 str and +1 dex, +2 ac.

Now the question:

Are these bonuses in addition to the bonuses gained for having more hd?

In other words - the wolf is a 4 hd animal, after gaining the +2 hd bonus. On gaining it's 4th hd, it gets a +1 stat increase. Correct or incorrect?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-22, 06:02 AM
A. 144

The table replaces the normal advancement so you only get stat increases to DEX and STR.

Also note that your animal companion does not increase in size for these bonus HD either, it only gets what is mentioned under the animal companion entry.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-22, 06:05 AM
A. 143

Weapons that cannot be dropped can probably not be thrown either.

Zen Master
2007-09-22, 06:37 AM
A. 144

The table replaces the normal advancement so you only get stat increases to DEX and STR.

Also note that your animal companion does not increase in size for these bonus HD either, it only gets what is mentioned under the animal companion entry.

There are spells for the size thingy - probably rather reasonable that they don't grow with hd, or they'd get REALLY big.

Anyways, Q. 145

From the SRD Remember that extra Hit Dice improve the animal companion’s base attack and base save bonuses. An animal companion’s base attack bonus is the same as that of a druid of a level equal to the animal’s HD.

What the huh?! Extra hitdice increase BAB - but BAB is equal to the druids.

So - what then? Does it get my BAB, then a bonus equal to the extra hitdice? Likely not, eh? But then what - general mixup?!

Awetugiw
2007-09-22, 06:50 AM
A145.
"A druid of level equal to the animal's HD", not your BaB. It is simply a complicated way of saying animal hit dice have a moderate BaB increase. (3/4 per level)

Zen Master
2007-09-22, 06:57 AM
A145.
"A druid of level equal to the animal's HD", not your BaB. It is simply a complicated way of saying animal hit dice have a moderate BaB increase. (3/4 per level)

Difference between a druid and the druid. Reading comprehension. Understood.

(duh!)

Thomix
2007-09-22, 10:43 AM
Q 146

When you make a AoO, did the one that provoke the AoO is Flat-Footed?

Fighteer
2007-09-22, 12:19 PM
A 146

No. Provoking an AoO does not have any special effect other than that listed in the rules. They may be flat-footed because of some other circumstance, but not solely because of the AoO.

TheSteelRat
2007-09-22, 12:33 PM
Q: 147

Would the Alacritous Cogitation Feat (p37) from Complete Mage (Allows spontaneous casting with an empty slot) qualify for PrC's that require spontaneous spellcasting? Specifically in regards to Ultimate Magus (p77) http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061010a&page=3, and whether it would allow a 5th Level Wizard to take it without a spontaneous class equivalent?

Q: 148

Can the Obtain Familiar (p. 81, Complete Arcane) Feat allow a PrC to advance the Wizard/Sorcerer's familiar level?

Moral Wiz
2007-09-22, 02:39 PM
Q:149

Is a warlock's Hideous Blow a melee attack? (and thus can be used for a sunder attempt?)

Belkarseviltwin
2007-09-22, 03:17 PM
A.149
The Hideous Blow itself is not an attack. However, the attack which channels it is, and can be used for a sunder.

Note: Hideous Blow still provokes an Attack of Opportunity, and cannot be used on one.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-22, 05:04 PM
A. 147

A strict reading of the entry requirements for Ultimate Magus specifies that you need to be able to cast 1st level spells (notice the plural), and not just one spell as Alacritous Cogitation allows.

I think the RAI agrees with this strict reading.

A. 148

Yes, any arcane PrC.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-22, 05:21 PM
A. 142

Q142.

Does the factotum (Dungeonscape) keep inspiration points he has not spent after an encounter is ended to use out of battle?

Encounters are not restricted to battles so you can spend inspiration points trying to overcome just about any challenge.

After each encounter has ended the Factotum would require some time (a couple of minutes?) before all inspiration points have been replenished.

Also, does his Brains Over Brawn class feature apply to initiative checks, being essentially a Dexterity check?

Initiative checks are dex checks.

An initiative check is a Dexterity check.

martyboy74
2007-09-22, 08:33 PM
Q150:
Can you counterspell using magic items? For example, could you use a wand of Fireball to counter someone casting fireball?

Q151:
Is there any way to stop someone from using SLAs, besides an AMF? Would an AM ray work?

Chronos
2007-09-22, 09:14 PM
Q152:The rules for bard spellcasting state that all bard spells must have verbal components, even if the spell doesn't have verbal components for other classes. Glibness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/glibness.htm), however, which is a bard-only spell (at least, among core base classes) is listed as requiring somatic only. Did they just forget to list the V, or is Glibness an exception? I can see the reasoning: If you have to mumble some arcane mumbo-jumbo first, it might make your bluff less believable, and it seems to mirror the Jedi Mind-Trick hand gesture. But is it an exception?

Jasdoif
2007-09-22, 10:54 PM
A152

RAW, glibness doesn't state that it's an exception to the bard's rule about all their spells having verbal components. Therefore, it has a verbal component when cast by a bard.

It's conceivable that a caster of another class may research the glibness spell, in which case the verbal component situation could come into play.

TheOOB
2007-09-23, 12:11 AM
A150

There is no reason you could use a spell completion item, like a scroll, or a spell trigger item, like a wand or staff, to counterspell a normal spell. A counterspell is just a simple variation on a normal spell, so as long as you still get to decided on the spells traits when you cast it (unlike a potion where all choices are made upon crafting), you could use it as a counterspell. From a logical it seems wrong to be able to use a command word item to counterspell (unless you are dispel magic counterspelling), but there is no RAW reason you could not.

A151

Virtually anything that will stop a spell will stop a spell-like ability. Spell-like abilities can be counterspelled (though the lack of components might make it difficult to identify, dispel magic might be your best bet), and if that doesn't work you can always hit them with an attack of opportunity or ready an action to attack them when they cast a spell to disrupt their concentration.

Unlike spells, however, binding and gagging them doesn't do much, as spell-like abilities don't have any components unless otherwise noted, they are purely mental actions, even a paralyzed person could use their SLA's.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-23, 02:59 AM
A. 151 Correction

A151

Virtually anything that will stop a spell will stop a spell-like ability. Spell-like abilities can be counterspelled (though the lack of components might make it difficult to identify, dispel magic might be your best bet), ...

Spell-like abilities cannot be counterspelled.

Spell-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled.

Randal Flagg
2007-09-23, 05:46 AM
Q 153

Can You cast the spell "sacred Item" (complete champion, p. 126) on an arrow, and then fire it against an evil outsider or similar, and get the benefit of the spell; i.e. the opponent taking 1d4 damage/level.

If this is true, this is a cheesy spell, cause you could make tons of amunition (duration: permanent untill discharged), which would deal tons of damage.......a ranger with manyshot etc.....

Q154

Are there other ways of putting spells om ammunition like feats or the like, other than abilities tied to a specific PrC, like Arcane Archer.

TK-Squared
2007-09-23, 08:40 AM
Q155

It may be an already answered question (or a stupid question), but can you use multiple Orange Ioun Stones and what is the limit to the amount of Ioun Stones you can use at any one time?

Curmudgeon
2007-09-23, 10:51 AM
A 155: No, and 1.

Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). The bonus in this case is from an Orange Ioun stone. Two such identical items produce a bonus with the same source, just as two identical castings of the same spell produce a bonus with the same source.

Edit: While you can have multiple Orange Ioun stones floating around your head, you cannot use more than one at a time.

ski309
2007-09-23, 11:27 AM
Q 156

My intelligent silver dragon mount decided to pick cards from a Deck of Many Things, and chose the card that grants him 50,000 xp. What happens to my dragon? Does he become older/bigger? Does he gain character classes? I have no idea.

AKA_Bait
2007-09-23, 11:35 AM
Q 157

Does Discern Lies allow a save for the person being focused upon? The obect is one creature per two levels. Basically, does that object refer to the person discerning the lies or the person who's lies are being discerned?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-23, 12:13 PM
A. 156

Mounts do not gain experience points unless they also serve as cohorts or similar.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-23, 12:17 PM
A. 157

The save is for the target of the spell; the one you are focusing your attention on.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-23, 01:20 PM
Q158

What/where are the rules regarding researching new spells?

Independent Research

A wizard also can research a spell independently, duplicating an existing spell or creating an entirely new one.

squishycube
2007-09-23, 01:23 PM
A158
The rules that are there are in the DMG (Does anyone have a page number?). There are hardly any rules though.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-23, 01:24 PM
A. 158

There are no hard and fast rules, but there are a few guidelines in the DMG.

EDIT: Ninja cubes and I am AFB, so I cannot even supply a page number.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-23, 01:29 PM
Q158 A (followup)
According to the existing rules, could you research a Still version of a spell that would be one level higher (like the feat)? Is that appropriate?

squishycube
2007-09-23, 01:35 PM
A158 Followup
I am AFB, so not sure about this, but I think the spell research rules are not that specific. If I recall correctly, the rules are not like the custom item rules, just some tips to DM's.
Regardless of rules, I would not allow the spell you propose, at least not for the same spell level increase as the feat. That's what the feat is for and I don't think it would be right to cherry pick which spells benefit from the feat and which don't.

Cubed ninjas, my favorite for on the road.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-23, 01:40 PM
Q158 A (followup)
According to the existing rules, could you research a Still version of a spell that would be one level higher (like the feat)? Is that appropriate?

Ultimately that would be a DM call, but since they decided that the Still feat should raise the spell level by one it is obviously close to being the appropriate power level.

The question is then whether you find that the spell research and scribing costs and lack of flexibility are balanced against the saved feat.

EDIT: I knew this would happen. :smallsigh:
You most certainly do not get any popcorn for the road! :smalltongue:

Citizen Joe
2007-09-23, 01:57 PM
Q158 B

Could a wizard with Still Spell feat scribe a still version of a spell onto a scroll, at the +1 level?

If so, couldn't some other wizard write that spell to his book, just as any other spell?

Citizen Joe
2007-09-23, 02:01 PM
Q159

Can sorcerers do independent research, or is it just wizards? What about other classes?

Saph
2007-09-23, 02:01 PM
Q. 159B

The Magical Artisan feat from Player's Guide to Faerun, page 41, says: "Choose any item creation feat you possess. When you make an item with that feat, you pay only 75% of the normal cost to create the item."

Does the discount apply to gold cost, to gold cost and XP cost, or to gold cost, XP cost, and crafting time as well? I'm guessing to gold cost and XP cost, but wanted to check.

- Saph

squishycube
2007-09-23, 02:14 PM
A158b
You got me there, I think this is possible. The way the section about scrolls is written does not prohibit using metamagiced spells. (SRD - Creating Scrolls (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingScrolls)) and the section on adding spells from a scroll simply state that you copy the spell as is, including metamagic effects. (SRD - Adding spells to your spellbook (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#addingSpellstoaWizardsSpellbook)

squishycube
2007-09-23, 02:21 PM
A159A
Other spell casting classes can do it too, see here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/divineSpells.htm#divineIndependentResearch). Funnily enough that same section mentions that every arcane caster can research spells.

A159B
I believe that in D&D the word 'cost' in this context refers to GP and XP, but not time.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-23, 03:25 PM
A. 158b

A158b
You got me there, I think this is possible. The way the section about scrolls is written does not prohibit using metamagiced spells. (SRD - Creating Scrolls (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingScrolls)) and the section on adding spells from a scroll simply state that you copy the spell as is, including metamagic effects. (SRD - Adding spells to your spellbook (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#addingSpellstoaWizardsSpellbook)

I would like to know where it says that a spell copied from a scroll includes the metamagic effects?

Kurald Galain
2007-09-23, 05:00 PM
I would like to know where it says that a spell copied from a scroll includes the metamagic effects?

To my knowledge it does not. You simply learn the basic spell, and can apply any metamagics that you know when you cast it, not the one that was written on the scroll.

I suppose fluff-wise you could learn metamagic feats this way, although crunch-wise you'd still have to wait until you gain a new feat by leveling.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-23, 05:06 PM
Actually, this is why I wouldn't allow metamagicking spells into magic items.

Asmodeus
2007-09-23, 06:50 PM
Q 160

Does the Permanency spell work on Artificer's Infusions?

For example, if an Artificer were to infuse an object with Light, and then have a wizard cast Permenancy on it, would that item remain lit up permenantly?

Alleine
2007-09-23, 10:54 PM
Q 161:

Do lycanthropes gain the additional HD from their animal form in their hybrid and human forms as well?

Tellah
2007-09-23, 10:57 PM
A 160

Light isn't in the list of effects that can have permanency applied, so in that specific instance, no. Furthermore, permanency says that it "makes certain other spells permanent." Infusions are neither spells, nor are they listed in the "certain spells" that can be made permanent, so permanency cannot affect them. Infusions may "function just like spells," per the Eberron Campaign Setting, but none of them directly emulate spells that are listed in permanency, anyway.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-23, 11:56 PM
A161 Yes. The Animal HD are HD, and there are no instances that I am aware of where HD are ever temporary or only in place under specific circumstances

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-24, 03:09 AM
To my knowledge it does not. You simply learn the basic spell, and can apply any metamagics that you know when you cast it, not the one that was written on the scroll.

Exactly, but I was curious to how one could arrive at another conclusion. :smallwink:

Well, I might have got stuff mixed up, but I know for sure that other classes who learn spells by copying other spells do get the metamagic effects. (For example the Blue Mage. Which, I realise now, is homebrew. Hmm....)
But nevertheless, the section in the SRD about copying spells from scrolls lead me to believe that you copy the spells as is, including any added effects.

Imagine the following situation:
You encounter a scroll of Stilled Grease. You have never heard of the spell Grease before, so you don't know which components it has (you botched your relevant checks or whatever). To you, Grease is a level 2 spell with a verbal and a material component. It wouldn't make any sense to metagame and add knowledge to your character.

By the way, from a balance perspective I still wouldn't allow this, I would handle it like you do, even though it breaks verisimilitude and it is how I read the RAW.

Let's open a new thread if anyone wants to discuss it further, yes?

RAW: There is no such thing as a 2nd level grease spell, so you cannot copy it as such.
If you want want you can research it and the we are moving out of RAW territory anyway.

Verisimilitude: The magical energy is in the parchment, so the metamagic effect will work when cast from the scroll. You realize that the base spell has been altered somehow (how much you understand of this depends on your knowledge of the relevant metamagic effect), but while lacking the ability to alter the magic by the way of the metamagic feat you still understand the basics of the spell and are able to copy the magical energy, so you can reproduce it at a later point.

Balance: You give up flexibility and gp, so unless this is a spell you would always want to cast with a certain metamagic effect I would not have many balance concerns.

We can take continue in another thread if anyone wants to.

squishycube
2007-09-24, 04:30 AM
A. 158b

Well, I might have got stuff mixed up, but I know for sure that other classes who learn spells by copying other spells do get the metamagic effects. (For example the Blue Mage. Which, I realise now, is homebrew. Hmm....)
But nevertheless, the section in the SRD about copying spells from scrolls lead me to believe that you copy the spells as is, including any added effects.

Imagine the following situation:
You encounter a scroll of Stilled Grease. You have never heard of the spell Grease before, so you don't know which components it has (you botched your relevant checks or whatever). To you, Grease is a level 2 spell with a verbal and a material component. It wouldn't make any sense to metagame and add knowledge to your character.

By the way, from a balance perspective I still wouldn't allow this, I would handle it like you do, even though it breaks verisimilitude and it is how I read the RAW.

Let's open a new thread if anyone wants to discuss it further, yes?

Asmodeus
2007-09-24, 08:34 AM
A 160

Light isn't in the list of effects that can have permanency applied, so in that specific instance, no. Furthermore, permanency says that it "makes certain other spells permanent." Infusions are neither spells, nor are they listed in the "certain spells" that can be made permanent, so permanency cannot affect them. Infusions may "function just like spells," per the Eberron Campaign Setting, but none of them directly emulate spells that are listed in permanency, anyway.

Q 160B

Lets assume for a moment that, per the description in the Player's Handbook, the DM has allowed Light to be a spell which Permenancy can affect, and sufficient research has been made by the Artificer or Wizard in question.

In that situation, can Permenancy be applied to a Light infusion?

Saph
2007-09-24, 09:56 AM
Q. 162

Can you use a Lesser Metamagic Rod to affect a 3rd-level spell which has been prepared in a 5th-level spell slot due to being affected by another metamagic feat?

I can't help thinking the answer should be no, but when I read the rules for Lesser Metamagic Rods they say "can be used with spells of 3rd-level or lower". And metamagic feats specifically say they don't change the spell level, only its spell slot.

- Saph

Asmodeus
2007-09-24, 10:24 AM
Q. 162

Can you use a Lesser Metamagic Rod to affect a 3rd-level spell which has been prepared in a 5th-level spell slot due to being affected by another metamagic feat?

I can't help thinking the answer should be no, but when I read the rules for Lesser Metamagic Rods they say "can be used with spells of 3rd-level or lower". And metamagic feats specifically say they don't change the spell level, only its spell slot.

- Saph

A 162

You can use a Metamagic rod with a spell that already has been prepared with a metamagic feat. However, you can only use one metamagic rod on that spell. Multiple rods do not stack.

Metamagic Rods

Metamagic rods hold the essence of a metamagic feat but do not change the spell slot of the altered spell. All the rods described here are use-activated (but casting spells in a threatened area still draws an attack of opportunity). A caster may only use one metamagic rod on any given spell, but it is permissible to combine a rod with metamagic feats possessed by the rod’s wielder. In this case, only the feats possessed by the wielder adjust the spell slot of the spell being cast.

EIM

Saph
2007-09-24, 10:28 AM
A 162

Nothing in the RAW prevents the rod from being used on a spell which already has a metamagic feat applied to it.

I know - but that wasn't what I was asking. I was checking whether you could use a Lesser Rod (which only works on 3rd-level or lower spells) with something like a Chained Ray of Exhaustion (which is prepared in a 6th-level slot).

- Saph

Asmodeus
2007-09-24, 10:52 AM
I know - but that wasn't what I was asking. I was checking whether you could use a Lesser Rod (which only works on 3rd-level or lower spells) with something like a Chained Ray of Exhaustion (which is prepared in a 6th-level slot).

- Saph

*nods* And the only thing that might prevent that is the spell level, and whether the spell is eligible for the specific Metamagic quality you want to apply. You already noted that existing Metamagic feats don't affect the spell level, so I didn't think it needed to be repeated. With that in mind, nothing in the RAW prevents it, as long as the spell is eligible for the Metamagic quality.

If this makes you uneasy, some DMs have taken to house-ruling a limit for the number of metamagic feats that can be applied to a specific spell. However, that is not RAW.

Kyace
2007-09-24, 05:18 PM
Q:163 If you wish to cause the image to react appropriately, does that happen on the init count of the event its reacting to or on your init count?

Major Image
Illusion (Figment)
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Duration: Concentration + 3 rounds

This spell functions like silent image, except that sound, smell, and thermal illusions are included in the spell effect. While concentrating, you can move the image within the range.

The image disappears when struck by an opponent unless you cause the illusion to react appropriately.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-24, 05:32 PM
Q164 The Cavestalker prestige class (Drow of the Underdark) has a class feature that allows you to treat the spiked chain as a one-handed weapon. Does this mean I can wield a spiked chain of one size category larger than myself as a two-handed weapon? If I have the powerful build feature, can I wield a spiked chain two size categories larger than myself in two hands? If I am a Thri-Kreen, can I two-hand two spiked chains at the same time--or wield four at once, considering Two-Weapon Fighting/Multiweapon Fighting transparency?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-24, 06:00 PM
A 163

The line about having your illusion react appropriately would have little to no effect if you could not control your illusion in such a way that it reacts outside of your initiative. Note that by "reacting properly" the rules are referring to things like recoiling from a blow and sustaining injury. More complex reactions that would actually require a character to use available actions are not likely to be intended in this situation.

A 164
I don't have the book in question, but assuming you aren't unintentionally leaving any details of the ability out, it seems pretty straightforward.

Any time the weapon category comes up in the rules, there is a default assumption that you are using appropriately sized weapons. So, if your Medium character has an ability that allows them to wield a normally two-handed weapon as a one-handed weapon, this ability refers to Medium versions of the weapons. As such, you would treat Large versions as Two-Handed and Small versions as Light, as normal. Of course, the usual inappropriate size penalties to attack still apply.

A character with Powerful Build can effectively wield weapons as if he were one size category larger. This means a Medium character with Powerful Build and the ability you mention would consider Large spiked chains to be one-handed and Huge spiked chains to be two-handed—the same as any othe one-handed weapon.

Likewise, a Thri-kreen could fight with two Large spiked chains or four Medium spiked-chains just like she could with any other one-handed weapon.

In short, if you have an abilith that causes you to consider a particular type of weapon to be a different category than it usually is, all rules regarding weapon categories apply normally as if it were actually that category.

Bitzeralisis
2007-09-24, 06:46 PM
For the clarification of a rule...

Q165: Can you use Scribe Scroll to scribe a scroll with a feat (such as Augment Summoning) built in to it, a class ability (such as Rapid Summoning) built into it, or a Metamagic effect (such as Widen Spell) built into it?

Q166: Do those three things (feats affecting spellcasting, metamagic feats, and class abilities) in the above question modify spells cast from a staff?

Kompera
2007-09-24, 07:06 PM
Q 167
Everyone gets one AoO. Combat reflexes specifically adds to this one AoO "a number of additional attacks of opportunity equal to your Dexterity bonus". Hold the Line (CW) allows an AoO when an opponent charges into a hex you threaten. Does Hold the Line allow an additional AoO, or merely allow for an AoO to be taken under expanded circumstances (or some third option)?

Q 168
If you drop a foe, Cleave allows "an immediate, extra melee attack against another creature within reach. You cannot take a 5-foot step before making this extra attack." Spring Attack allows a player to "move both before and after the attack". Would a player who declared a Spring Attack and moved the perquisite 5+ feet before an attack be allowed to move before using the attack granted by Cleave?

Q 168a
If 166 is answered "Yes", what distance?

Q 169
Whirlwind Attack in the PHB 3.0 allows (after conditions are met) "one melee attack at your full base attack bonus against each opponent within 5 feet." In the Revised SRD 3.5 it allows "one melee attack at your full base attack bonus against each opponent within reach." I do not own the PHB v3.5. Is "within reach" a deliberate errata (as it changes the mechanic dramatically)?

Q 170
Are the effects of size altering spells and reach weapons additive? (Ex: A Spiked Chain wielding size M player character has a reach of 10. A size M player with Enlarge Person cast upon them who becomes size L has a reach of 10. Would a Size L player character wielding a spiked chain have a range of 15?)

Q 171
Assuming Q 167 and Q 168 are answered "Yes", is a Whirlwind Attacking, Spiked Chain Wielding, Enlarge Personed character rather munchkin? (Ok, an opinion question, sorry)

Bitzeralisis
2007-09-24, 07:32 PM
Q 167
Everyone gets one AoO. Combat reflexes specifically adds to this one AoO "a number of additional attacks of opportunity equal to your Dexterity bonus". Hold the Line (CW) allows an AoO when an opponent charges into a hex you threaten. Does Hold the Line allow an additional AoO, or merely allow for an AoO to be taken under expanded circumstances (or some third option)?

Q 168
If you drop a foe, Cleave allows "an immediate, extra melee attack against another creature within reach. You cannot take a 5-foot step before making this extra attack." Spring Attack allows a player to "move both before and after the attack". Would a player who declared a Spring Attack and moved the perquisite 5+ feet before an attack be allowed to move before using the attack granted by Cleave?

Q 168a
If 166 is answered "Yes", what distance?

Q 169
Whirlwind Attack in the PHB 3.0 allows (after conditions are met) "one melee attack at your full base attack bonus against each opponent within 5 feet." In the Revised SRD 3.5 it allows "one melee attack at your full base attack bonus against each opponent within reach." I do not own the PHB v3.5. Is "within reach" a deliberate errata (as it changes the mechanic dramatically)?

Q 170
Are the effects of size altering spells and reach weapons additive? (Ex: A Spiked Chain wielding size M player character has a reach of 10. A size M player with Enlarge Person cast upon them who becomes size L has a reach of 10. Would a Size L player character wielding a spiked chain have a range of 15?)

Q 171
Assuming Q 167 and Q 168 are answered "Yes", is a Whirlwind Attacking, Spiked Chain Wielding, Enlarge Personed character rather munchkin? (Ok, an opinion question, sorry)

A167 The latter.

A168 It's immediate. You can't move in between the two attacks.

A 169 I don't know what errata means, but the feat means what it means. One attack at every opponent within reach. However, it does not grant attacks to adjacent creatures if you're using a reach weapon, because a reach weapon cannot target a creature adjacent to you unless otherwise specified.

A 170 A reach weapon doubles range. He can strike any opponent within 20 feet with a spiked chain.

A 171 :smalleek:

Kompera
2007-09-24, 08:24 PM
A 169 I don't know what errata means, but the feat means what it means. One attack at every opponent within reach. However, it does not grant attacks to adjacent creatures if you're using a reach weapon, because a reach weapon cannot target a creature adjacent to you unless otherwise specified.

A 170 A reach weapon doubles range. He can strike any opponent within 20 feet with a spiked chain.
I didn't use errata in the exactly correct sense. It's a collection of error corrections. What I am asking is, is the Feat interpreted using the "within 5 feet" of 3.0 or using the "within reach" of 3.5? They may seem to be the same, and may act the same in nearly all cases, but reach weapons certainly make them act differently in some situations.

Regarding A 170, wow. I thought reach added 5 feet, and size added 5 feet. And also that things which doubled twice were always interpreted as being additive. That is how I came up with a 15 foot reach.

enderrocksonall
2007-09-24, 09:25 PM
Q172
What is the lowsest level spell that will remove the fatigued or exhausted conditions?

Douglas
2007-09-24, 09:42 PM
A170
Large size, no matter how it is acquired, sets your base natural reach to 10'. Reach weapons give double your natural reach. A large creature wielding a reach weapon has 20' reach but, unless it's a spiked chain, does not threaten anything within 10'.

A172
Lesser Restoration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/restorationLesser.htm) removes fatigue and reduces exhaustion to fatigue for only a level 2 spell from a cleric or druid (level 1 paladin, but their spell progression puts it later despite that).

Jasdoif
2007-09-24, 10:24 PM
A165

You can scribe a metamagic version of a scroll. Nothing indicates you can apply Augment Summoning or Rapid Summoning to a scroll. Besides which, those abilities are tied to the caster, not to the spell itself.

A166

It would appear only the caster level and save DC benefit from your abilities, so that rules out Rapid Summoning.
When you use a staff, you use your own relevant ability score and feats to determine the save DCs for the spells cast from the staff, and you can use your own caster level for those spells too, if it’s higher than the staff’s caster level. Does this mean you can apply metamagic feats you know to spells you cast from a staff?

You cannot use metamagic feats on spells you cast from a spell trigger item (wand or staff) or spell completion item (scroll). As the introductory text for staffs on page 243 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide says, your ability score and relevant feats determine the save DC for any spell you cast from a staff. From the core D&D books, “relevant feats” are Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus. These feats apply to spells you cast from a staff, provided the staff spell is from the school to which you have applied the feats. Also as noted on page 243, the Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration feats apply to spells you cast from a staff.

When you use a staff, you use your own relevant ability score and feats to determine the save DCs for the spells you cast from the staff, and you can use your own caster level for those spells too, if it’s higher than the staff’s caster level. So, suppose you’re an archmage. Can you use the archmage’s high arcana abilities, such as mastery of elements or mastery of shaping with a staff?

The only high arcana ability that works on a spell cast from a staff is spell power, which increases the archmage’s caster level.Augment Summoning...I'm not sure on, since the feat states it affects every creature you conjure using any summon spell. However, my instinct tells me to go on the side of least exceptions, and disallow it to work with spells cast from a staff.

daggaz
2007-09-25, 08:21 AM
Q. 173

Do druid animal companions get feats according to their HD? or according to the druids CL?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-25, 09:31 AM
A. 173

According to their HD (base HD of the animal + bonus HD from being an animal companion).

An animal companion gains additional skill points and feats for bonus HD as normal for advancing a monster’s Hit Dice.

TMZ_Cinoros
2007-09-25, 05:52 PM
Q. 174

How does Glitterdust work? I know that everything within the 10-ft.-radius spread when the spell is cast gets the visible outline and the blinded effect unless they succeed on the will save, but how do creatures leaving or entering the area interact with the spell? For example, if a creature who failed his will save leaves the area, does he remain blinded and outlined for the duration of the spell? If a creature enters the area during after the spell is cast but before the end of the duration, does he make the will save for blindness and become outlined?

Curmudgeon
2007-09-25, 07:36 PM
Q. 174

For example, if a creature who failed his will save leaves the area, does he remain blinded and outlined for the duration of the spell?

A 174

Yes, because he's still covered in the dust.
All within the area are covered by the dust, which cannot be removed and continues to sparkle until it fades.

If a creature enters the area during after the spell is cast but before the end of the duration, does he make the will save for blindness and become outlined?
Yes, because the spell affects the area until it expires.
A cloud of golden particles covers everyone and everything in the area, causing creatures to become blinded and visibly outlining invisible things for the duration of the spell.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-25, 09:08 PM
A 174 Counter opinion
If a creature enters the area during after the spell is cast but before the end of the duration, does he make the will save for blindness and become outlined?

Yes, because the spell affects the area until it expires.
Actually the way I read it, the cloud immediately sticks to people and things and THOSE people/things remain highlighted for the duration.

If the cloud remained, and thus affected anyone ENTERING the area, then the cloud could be dissipated with a gust of wind, like most other cloud spells.

The spell would have specified All creatures ENTERING the cloud would be blinded, etc. if that were the case.

Dr. Weasel
2007-09-25, 10:02 PM
Q175

Does the Mage Slayer Feat reduce the Manifester level of a Psion who takes it?

Q176

Do Dexterity gains and Natural Armor increases granted by Polymorph count as "Armor Class bonuses granted by spells" for the purpose of the Pierce Magical Protection feat?

Jasdoif
2007-09-25, 10:09 PM
A175

No. A manifester level isn't the same thing as a caster level, and the feat line doesn't affect manifester level. Psionics-Magic transparency doesn't make the two the same either, anymore then it makes Spellcraft and Psicraft identical.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-25, 10:59 PM
A 176
Granting the natural armor of a form is a specific effect of the polymorph spell. So, yes, it would count as an Armor Class bonus granted by a spell. However, if you choose a form that has a lower Natural Armor bonus than your normal form, then the new Armor Class could hardly be said to be a bonus, and Pierce Magical Protection would likely not apply. For consistency's sake, when applying Pierce Magical Protection, I would also rule that you only lose the difference between your new Natural Armor and your usual Natural Armor. For example, if you normally have a +3 Natural Armor bonus and take a form that has a +8 bonus, Pierce Magical Protection should only overcome 5 points of Natural Armor.

As for Dexterity, the bonus to Armor Class is indirect. The spell only increases Dexterity. It does not directly increase Armor Class in this fashion. A heightened Dexterity score would thereby remain in effect with regards to Armor Class and Pierce Magical Protection.

Dragoon
2007-09-25, 11:28 PM
Q 177

Would a weapon with the sacred and bane (undead) property apply both extra damage against the undead?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-26, 02:36 AM
A. 174 Clarification

Citizen Joe is correct, the duration refers to how long creature who were in the initial area of effect are affected, not creatures who enter the area at a later stage.

Glitterdust, is a spread effect. Had it been an emanation effect it would have continued to dust the area, but bursts and spreads only cover the area when the spell is cast, not in subsequent rounds.

Burst, Emanation, or Spread: Most spells that affect an area function as a burst, an emanation, or a spread. In each case, you select the spell’s point of origin and measure its effect from that point.

A burst spell affects whatever it catches in its area, even including creatures that you can’t see. It can’t affect creatures with total cover from its point of origin (in other words, its effects don’t extend around corners). The default shape for a burst effect is a sphere, but some burst spells are specifically described as cone-shaped. A burst’s area defines how far from the point of origin the spell’s effect extends.

An emanation spell functions like a burst spell, except that the effect continues to radiate from the point of origin for the duration of the spell. Most emanations are cones or spheres.

A spread spell spreads out like a burst but can turn corners. You select the point of origin, and the spell spreads out a given distance in all directions. Figure the area the spell effect fills by taking into account any turns the spell effect takes.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-26, 02:38 AM
A. 177

Yes, they are two different sources.

Alveanerle
2007-09-26, 07:46 AM
Q. 178
A. If a character has both craven and telling blow feats - will his craven damage be multipled on the critical hit?

B. Same question regarding the half-dex bonus damage coming from crossbow sniper feat.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-26, 08:05 AM
A. 178

A.) Craven requires that you make a sneak attack, while Telling Blow simply allows you to deal your sneak attack damage, so only if you are actually making a sneak attack the extra damage from Craven would get multiplied. This happens regardless of the Telling Blow feat.

EDIT:

The FAQ has ruled that Telling Blow simply is another way of qualifying for Sneak Attack/Skirmish So in that case you would apply Craven and similar feats/abilities. (And it would be multiplied as normal of course)

Telling Blow is poorly worded IMHO.

When a rogue with the Telling Blow feat (PHB II, pg. 83) deals a critical hit against a flat-footed enemy, does she add her sneak attack damage twice?

No. The feat simply adds another criteria that “activates” your sneak attack or skirmish damage; it doesn’t allow either of those values to be added twice.

If a character with the Telling Blow feat (Player’s Handbook II, 83) scores a critical hit against an enemy in a situation where his skirmish or sneak attack damage would already apply, does he get to add that damage twice?

No. You only get to add your skirmish or sneak attack damage once, even if you meet more than one prerequisite for adding it. (For example, a rogue who flanks a flat-footed enemy doesn’t get to add sneak attack damage twice.)

B.) The extra damage from Crossbow Sniper is always multiplied on a crtical hit, since it is extra damage (as opposed to teh extra damage dice from Sneak Attack or Skirmish.)

Multiplying Damage: Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results. Note: When you multiply damage more than once, each multiplier works off the original, unmultiplied damage.

Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage are never multiplied.
(My emphasis)

Curmudgeon
2007-09-26, 09:51 AM
A170
Large size, no matter how it is acquired, sets your base natural reach to 10'.

A 170 minor correction

There are actually two different types of "Large size": Large (tall) provides 10' reach, but Large (long) provides only 5' reach. Though it's got other benefits, Polymorph is a "size altering spell", and if you take a form like a brown bear you gain large size but only 5' reach.
- - -
Citizen Joe, good catch on #174. I stand (half) corrected.
- - -
A 178 picking nits

A.) Craven requires that you make a sneak attack, while Telling Blow simply allows you to deal your sneak attack damage, so only if you are actually making a sneak attack the extra damage from Craven would get multiplied. This happens regardless of the Telling Blow feat. The nit to pick here is that without Telling Blow you're probably not meeting the requirements for a sneak attack (as Alveanerle didn't specify either flanking or the foe being denied their DEX bonus to AC). The combination of feats is what enables this damage multiplication on a critical hit.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-26, 10:05 AM
A 178 picking nits
The nit to pick here is that without Telling Blow you're probably not meeting the requirements for a sneak attack (as Alveanerle didn't specify either flanking or the foe being denied their DEX bonus to AC). The combination of feats is what enables this damage multiplication on a critical hit.

You have to read the answer in context of the EDIT I made, but I guess it must have been unclear.

With Craven and Telling Blow (and the FAQ interpretation) the extra damage from Craven would be multiplied on a critical hit, since it is not extra damage dice.

Kioran
2007-09-26, 01:52 PM
Q 179:

Is there any special material that can enhance leather armor in any significant way, like Mithral or adamantine do for Metal armor?

Asmodeus
2007-09-26, 03:08 PM
Q 180

Is there a spell that can enlarge a Warforged, similar to the Enlarge Person spell?

Asmodeus
2007-09-26, 03:14 PM
Q 179:

Is there any special material that can enhance leather armor in any significant way, like Mithral or adamantine do for Metal armor?

A 179

Using a different material than leather would mean it is no longer Leather Armor, so no, you cannot enhance leather armor by using a different material.

However, there are several other types of material used to make armor that is similar. Leafweave, for example, which works similar to leather armor, but provides bonuses in wilderness environments. Such examples are few and far between though. Mammoth Leather is another option, but requires a special feat to use.

Beyond Studded Leather, you don't find much enhancement for leather armor.

You might have better luck researching Hide armors. Electric Eel Hide, Dragon Hide, and Rhino Hide are all variations on that type. I suppose that in a way, these can be thought of as substitute materials for the leather armor.

For a complete list of armors and magical armors, check out www.crystalkeep.com, and look at the d20 indexes.

Asmodeus
2007-09-26, 04:57 PM
Q 181

A: When Holding the Charge on a touch spell, does the spell automatically discharge when you touch something? For example, if I hold charge on Inflict Serious Wounds, but before I can touch an enemy, an ally comes up and grabs my hand, unaware that I have a dangerous spell charged, does that ally become the target, even though I didn't intend for it?

B: If the spell automatically discharges above, what if I touch an object that is not a valid target for the spell? In example, what if I touch my familiar, with a spell that can only target humanoids? Obviously, the familiar isn't affect, but do I lose the spell or is it still held?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-26, 06:47 PM
A 181

A: Yes. Touching anything will discharge the spell.

B: Just like any other time you try to cast a spell on an invalid target, the spell simply fails and is wasted.

EDIT: Okay, I'm having trouble finding the support for the above answers... :smallfrown:

Curmudgeon
2007-09-26, 07:43 PM
A 181 B

The spell doesn't discharge until you touch a valid target. Unlike a spell that has an immediate effect and would fail on an invalid target, a touch spell is cast successfully when you charge your hand.
Touch Spells in Combat

Many spells have a range of touch. To use these spells, you cast the spell and then touch the subject, either in the same round or any time later. In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) the target. Let's assume you have one hand holding a Metamagic Rod of Maximize, Lesser (an object) and you cast Chill Touch. You must wield the metamagic rod to get its effect. Chill Touch
channels negative energy that deals 1d6 points of damage. and you want to do the maximum of 6 points of damage. The "Target:" line for the spell is
Targets: Creature or creatures touched (up to one/level) It doesn't make sense for the spell to be wasted because you're holding an object (not a valid target for the spell). Instead you successfully cast the spell and charge your hand, gaining the benefit of the wielded metamagic rod.

However, if you thoughtlessly scratch your nose, the charge will be expended into a valid target (you).

Citizen Joe
2007-09-26, 08:04 PM
A 181 C

By RAW you must successfully attack the touch AC of the target to activate the charge. A DM may INTERPRET that touching your charged hand will discharge it, but that is not RAW and thus beyond the scope of this thread.

Zherog
2007-09-26, 08:10 PM
A 181

Minor, probably nit picky correction to Shhalahr's text.

Touching anything that is a valid target will discharge the spell. In the inflict light wounds example, you could open a door and not have a problem; but if the door were a mimic, the spell would discharge.

Jasdoif
2007-09-26, 08:25 PM
A 181

B: Just like any other time you try to cast a spell on an invalid target, the spell simply fails and is wasted.

EDIT: Okay, I'm having trouble finding the support for the above answers... :smallfrown:Got it. It's under Actions in Combat, of all places.

Holding the Charge

If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.

Chineselegolas
2007-09-27, 01:04 AM
Q182

If you know where someone is, but can't see them, yet have line of effect, can you target them with a spell. (Hold person)

Jasdoif
2007-09-27, 01:22 AM
A182

Do you know where the target actually is, or merely what square(s) it occupies?

If only what space the target is in, then no. Hold person is a targetted spell, and as such you need to be able to see or touch the creature in question.
Target or Targets

Some spells have a target or targets. You cast these spells on creatures or objects, as defined by the spell itself. You must be able to see or touch the target, and you must specifically choose that target. You do not have to select your target until you finish casting the spell.

Chineselegolas
2007-09-27, 01:49 AM
Q182B

He knew the location of an item on my person. (I'd just stolen an item and was using my hide in plain sight to walk out of the room. He cast locate object and DM ruled that he knew were the item was, and thus which square I was in)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-27, 02:00 AM
A. 182 B

First of all Locate Object only reveals the direction, not the exact location.

You sense the direction of a well-known or clearly visualized object.

But even if it did, it would not have been sufficient. As Jasdoif said you need to be able to see or touch the creature to target it with a so-called targeted spell.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-27, 12:11 PM
Got it. It's under Actions in Combat, of all places.
Silly me. I thought "Magic Overview" shoulda been sufficient.

Chalk another one up to the "Gotta read the whole SRD to find everything relvant" department.

Killer Qban
2007-09-27, 02:09 PM
Q. 183

Does a "Spell Storing" weapon hold the spell indefinitely?

Can you store a metamagically enhanced spell?

Jasdoif
2007-09-27, 02:18 PM
A183

Since a random spell storing weapon has a 50% chance of holding a spell when it's found, I would guess it could indeed hold a spell for an indefinite amount of time.

I don't see why you couldn't store a metamagic spell. I would recommend ask your DM before you try storing such a spell that would require a spell slot higher then 3rd, however.

TMZ_Cinoros
2007-09-27, 04:45 PM
A. 174 Request for even more Clarification

A. 174 Clarification

Citizen Joe is correct, the duration refers to how long creature who were in the initial area of effect are affected, not creatures who enter the area at a later stage.

Glitterdust, is a spread effect. Had it been an emanation effect it would have continued to dust the area, but bursts and spreads only cover the area when the spell is cast, not in subsequent rounds.

Sorry, but it seems as though this question is not as simple as I thought it was. I was looking through examples of other effects that I assume that stick around, such as Fog Cloud (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fogCloud.htm) and every other cloud spell. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I do not see emanation in any of the fog spells, just spread. The only difference that I see between the cloud effects and Glitterdust is 1) The fog effects mention dispersal, 2) Common sense dictates the clouds should stick around. Is there a more robust way of knowing the difference between Glitterdust and clouds? I'm surprised there isn't a question in the FAQ about Glitterdust, as it is a very popular spell and it is clear that determing its effect is nontrivial.

Should we move this discussion to its own thread? Again, sorry for making this question not simple.

Jasdoif
2007-09-27, 05:10 PM
Is there a more robust way of knowing the difference between Glitterdust and clouds?The basic difference is here:
Fog Cloud
Effect: Fog spreads in 20-ft. radius, 20 ft. high
Glitterdust
Area: Creatures and objects within 10-ft.-radius spread

The fog cloud spell itself doesn't affect an area. It creates a point from which fog issues, and that expands over an area.

The glitterdust spell DOES affect an area, and so it's like Lord_Silvanos said: The only difference between an area of spread and an area of emanation is that emanation continues to affect the area for the duration of the spell, while spread does not.

Dhavaer
2007-09-27, 06:17 PM
Q 184

If a Warblade with the Cleave feat initiates Greater Insightful Strike and drops an enemy, what is the damage of the attack granted by the Cleave feat? Is it 2xConcentation, or the normal weapon damage?

Saph
2007-09-27, 08:55 PM
Q. 185

As a wizard (or other prepared caster), if I prepare and then cast a 1st-level spell modified by the Extend Spell metamagic feat in a 2nd-level spell slot, and then want to recall it, can I use a 1st-level Pearl of Power to do so?

- Saph

Alleine
2007-09-27, 10:34 PM
Q 186

Does a Weretouched Master gain any other benefits from the Alternate Form ability besides the stat bonuses listed?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-28, 01:24 AM
A. 185

No.

Can a pearl of power be used to recall a spell of a lower level than it’s designed for? After all, I could have prepared a lower-level spell in that spell slot.

No. A 5th-level pearl of power can recall only a 5th-level
spell, even if all you prepared as 5th-level spells were multiple castings of stoneskin.
Any metamagic effects (or other effects that altered the
spell’s level) apply, so a 5th-level pearl of power can recall the quickened magic missile you’ve already cast, but not the empowered cone of cold (since that’s a 7th-level spell).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-28, 01:33 AM
Q 184

If a Warblade with the Cleave feat initiates Greater Insightful Strike and drops an enemy, what is the damage of the attack granted by the Cleave feat? Is it 2xConcentation, or the normal weapon damage?

A. 184

Normal weapon damage, Greater Insightful Strike works only on the first attack.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-28, 01:45 AM
A. 186

You also get to look like an animal or a Hybrid. :smalltongue:

Saph
2007-09-28, 05:25 AM
A. 185

No.

Q. 186

Okay, what about a circlet of mages from the MiC, page 86? Could you use one charge from that to avoid losing a 1st-level spell affected by a metamagic feat? (I'm just wondering, since the wording's slightly different.)

- Saph

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-28, 06:30 AM
A. 187

Q. 186

Okay, what about a circlet of mages from the MiC, page 86? Could you use one charge from that to avoid losing a 1st-level spell affected by a metamagic feat? (I'm just wondering, since the wording's slightly different.)

- Saph

I am away from my MIC, but I am fairly certain that even if the wording here is unclear the intend is to treat it the same way as the Pearl.

All such items really need a clarification with regards to metamagic effects.

squishycube
2007-09-28, 07:07 AM
Q158
What/where are the rules regarding researching new spells?
This question was never completely answered, but I am now in the position to do so after all.
A158Addendum
As stated, there are hardly any rules for researching new spells. The only real rule presented on DMG page 198 is about how much it costs and how long it takes to research spells. Everything else is left up to the DM.

Alveanerle
2007-09-28, 09:43 AM
Q. 188
Thorny arcana

Wall of thorns:
A. - does it block sight?
B. - does it block line of affect?
C. - does doing movement-equivalent or standard action that is not a movement inside the affected area cause the damage? In expicite, what about retrieving/quaffing potions, casting spells, shooting ranged weapons?
D. - can one shoot from within the affected area?
E. - if so, at what penalty?
F. - can one shoot through the affected area?
G. - if so, at what penalty?
H. - can thorny cubes be placed one atop another to form a pillar of thorns?
I. - can wall of thorns be climbed?

Alveanerle
2007-09-28, 09:53 AM
Q. 189
Fiery arcana

Wall of fire:
can i place a wall of fire in its circular form if i do not see one of the squares the circle would be passing through? For example there's a 10x10ft pillar, and i'd like to center the circular wall of flames at the base of the pillar, on my side. Is such a placement possible at all? Will the result be a full circle, or will the unseed squares be unaffected, resulting in "leaking" wall of fire?

Alveanerle
2007-09-28, 10:03 AM
Q. 190
Icy arcana

Can one shoot missiles (arrows, crossbow bolts, etc) through an area affected by an ice storm spell?

squishycube
2007-09-28, 11:21 AM
Q. 188
Thorny arcana

Wall of thorns:
A. - does it block sight?
B. - does it block line of affect?
C. - does doing movement-equivalent or standard action that is not a movement inside the affected area cause the damage? In expicite, what about retrieving/quaffing potions, casting spells, shooting ranged weapons?
D. - can one shoot from within the affected area?
E. - if so, at what penalty?
F. - can one shoot through the affected area?
G. - if so, at what penalty?
H. - can thorny cubes be placed one atop another to form a pillar of thorns?
I. - can wall of thorns be climbed?

A188 Partial
Some of your questions are not covered by RAW. One can only use common sense.
Pages used: 1 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#aimingASpell), 2 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wallOfThorns.htm)
A. The Wall of Thorns is a brush with thorns. I'd rule that 5 feet of brush is enough to block line of sight
B. No, line of effect is a straight, unblocked path.
C. The spell description kind of contradicts itself. First it says that only actually moving (forced or voluntary) causes damage. Next it says you can avoid damage by staying motionless. I visualise motionless as not moving your body at all, but to get rid of the contradiction you can say that just staying in the same square is enough.
D. It depends on what you chose with the previous answer. I'd rule that if you can shoot out of the wall, you can only shoot out of the thorns if you are at the edge of the wall.
E. Not covered by RAW.-2 or -4 seems reasonable.
F. This is a definite No to me.
G. -∞, see F.
I. Would depend on the weight of the climber. It would probably hold most medium characters (it is described as very tough).

squishycube
2007-09-28, 11:25 AM
A189
You get a leaking wall, as per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#aimingASpell):

You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect. You must have a clear line of effect to the point of origin of any spell you cast.

squishycube
2007-09-28, 11:29 AM
A190
By RAW you can without penalty. Ice Storm does not impose a penalty on spot checks or otherwise make looking difficult and neither does it provide cover or anything.
A reasonable houserule would probably use the cover rules.

Vuurmeester
2007-09-28, 03:18 PM
Q191

Can a monk use the incorporeal touch attack of a ghost or similar creature within a flurry of blows?

The J Pizzel
2007-09-28, 03:29 PM
Q192
The Succubus has this in its "Energy Drain" ability

The kiss also has the effect of a suggestion spell, asking the victim to accept another kiss from the succubus. The victim must succeed on a DC 21 Will save to negate the effect of the suggestion.

It also says that in its spell like abilities that it can cast suggestion at will.

So, my question is: Is the "at will" suggestion the same as the "kiss" suggestion or can a Succubus cast it at will and use it from the kiss? If that's the case. Doesn't that make it pretty damn powerful as it can just keep suggestioning to kiss it. Then after you fail that, your just kissing it over and over again?

squishycube
2007-09-28, 03:47 PM
A191
All attacks made by an incorporeal creature are incorporeal touch attacks (as in, they ignore natural armor, armor, and shields but not force armor and deflection boni)
This would also go for an incorporeal monk.

The rules about the Incorporeal subtype (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#incorporealSubtype) are a bit vague if you want to know about incorporeal creatures affecting corporeal creatures, because the rules are written the other way around (they assume the PCs are corporeal), but piecing together the information leads me to believe that the limits to attacking each other apply either way.

For example, in the description of the Ghost (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghost.htm):
"A ghost retains all the special attacks of the base creature, although those relying on physical contact do not affect nonethereal creatures"

This means that any 'normal' attacks the incorporeal creature has do not affect corporeal creatures. This would include a Monk's flurry of blows attack. If the creature somehow manages to make its mundane attacks count as magical (Not just "for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction", like the monk ability!) they would have a 50% chance of affecting corporeal creatures. (Magical attacks do not rely on physical contact entirely, which can be extrapolated from the incorporeal subtype description.)

The big difference between corporeal creatures attacking incorporeal creatures and vice versa is magic: Spells cast by an incorporeal creature affect incorporeal and incorporeal creatures normally.

An entirely different story are the special abilities most incorporeal creatures have, such as the Ghost's Corrupting Touch. These abilities are almost always supernatural and using them is a standard action. This means you cannot use them in conjunction with the standard attack action or the full attack action.

Long answer for such a seemingly easy question, although the answer could be summed up as "No!

(Most information here was taken from the Rules of the Game (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/rg) article about Invisibility, etherealness and incorporeality, Here, not Here part 3 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040928a). As such, they are not RAW but they represent a (usually) reasonable interpretation of RAW by a person who was personally involved in writting a large part of the D&D rules.)

Jasdoif
2007-09-28, 03:49 PM
A191

You can't use an incorporeal touch attack as part of a flurry of blows, since it's not a special monk weapon.

A192

It's just like it says:
The succubus’s kiss or embrace bestows one negative level. The kiss also has the effect of a suggestion spell, asking the victim to accept another kiss from the succubus. The victim must succeed on a DC 21 Will save to negate the effect of the suggestion.The kiss has both effects, the negative level and the suggestion effect to accept another kiss.

The spell-like ability can be used for any suggestion.

squishycube
2007-09-28, 04:04 PM
A192
I am confused about your question. The answer seems straightforward nevertheless:
- The Succubus has some spell like abilities, all of which can be used at will. One of these is Suggestion. It works exactly like the Succubus had casted the spell Suggestion as a 12th level sorcerer.
- The Succubus also has a form of the Energy Drain special attack. In case of the Succubus this can take the form of any erotic/sensual act. (Kissing, hugging, etcetera). - In the rest of the description of the ability, this act is called either a 'kiss' or a 'kiss or embrace' I shall use 'kiss' as well. - Once kissed, the victim makes a will save against an effect like the spell suggestion, except the suggestion is always the same: accept another kiss from the Succubus.

These are two separate abilities. They cannot be uses at the same time. One bestows a negative level and lures a creature into getting more negative levels. The other is just the spell Suggestion (which can indeed be used, for example, to accept a first kiss).
This does indeed mean that the Succubus can just keep trying to cast Suggestion on its victim until the victim fails and from then on use its energy drain ability. As soon as the victim makes on of the saves, the game starts over, the Succubus starts using its Suggestion ability again. This is indeed pretty powerful, but with several people the Succubus isn't very hard to defeat. It is on its own that it is really dangerous (but then it has an EL of 11, so this is not really a surprise).

Alleine
2007-09-29, 01:33 AM
A. 186

You also get to look like an animal or a Hybrid. :smalltongue:

Q 186 B.

Wait, you spend five levels getting all these great shifter things that apply ONLY during shifting and not in alternate form? So no pounce for a were-touched master tiger? And I'm assuming you can't shift while in alternate form, that'd just be unfair.

Why not just be an actual lycanthrope, its almost better than this!

NEO|Phyte
2007-09-29, 12:51 PM
Q193

What happens if a ghost (or other incorporeal creature) with the Ghostly Grasp feat puts a corporeal object within a noncorporeal container (extradimensional or otherwise)?

RMS Oceanic
2007-09-29, 01:18 PM
Q194

I'm a little confused about Metaphysical Weapon's (XPH) augment rules:

1. Pay 4 points to raise duration to 1 hour/level.
2. For each 4 points spent, raise the enhancement bonus by +1.

Does this mean I could pay five power points in total to gain both increased duration and a total +2 enhancement bonus, or would this require nine?

Fax Celestis
2007-09-29, 01:37 PM
A194 Look carefully at the wording. In essence, each four points spent, regardless on what for, increases the enhancement bonus on the weapon by 1. You can spend four points to increase duration to one hour, and if you do it also gives it an effective +1 bonus.

Sepp
2007-09-29, 02:46 PM
Q.195

Knockdown (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown) states that if you deal 10 or more damage, you get a free trip attempt. Improved Trip (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedTrip) states that on a successful trip attempt, you gain an immediate attack against the same foe.

A.) Does this mean that Knockdown, if successful, is two attacks? One for the Knockdown and one for Improved Trip?

B.) Is the 'immidiate' attack from Improved Trip at the same attack bonus? I assume so, since it doesn't require BAB +6.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-29, 03:25 PM
A195 You can't trip an already prone target, but you do get a free attack after the knockdown. Also, Improved Trip, like Cleave, uses the same attack bonus.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-09-29, 10:09 PM
Q 196.
In the case of Arterial Strike, does the phrase 'you may deliver only one bleeding wound per successful sneak attack' indicate that one may deliver only one such wound per attack action- that is, one wound a turn- or per individual attack- that is, as many bleedings wounds as one is capable of making attacks, assuming all your attacks qualify for sneak attack damage?

Jasdoif
2007-09-29, 11:53 PM
A196

Each attack that scores sneak attack damage is a successful sneak attack. So, you can exchange 1d6 of sneak attack damage into a continually bleeding wound on each such attack.

The phrase is likely there to ensure that you don't convert every last sneak attack die you have into a continuing wound.

TO_Incognito
2007-09-30, 09:17 AM
Q197 What Small races are there with a +0 LA and no penalty to Str?

Citizen Joe
2007-09-30, 01:48 PM
A197 (partial)

Being small has an inherent -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity modifier. Often these are incorporated into small races, thus you will usually see them in some form. Technically, halflings don't have a racial attribute modifier, its just their small size.

I'm not saying that there aren't any small, non LA, non str. penalty races, just that the smallness is the reason for it.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-30, 02:19 PM
A 197

A197 (partial)

Being small has an inherent -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity modifier.
No, all sources that would list those modifiers are referring to changes in size from creatures that are normally Medium. It's a specific case penalty.

If you reference "Table 5–1: Creature Size, Ability Scores, and Damage" in the Monster Manual, you will notice that it suggests most Small creatures have a Strength score between 4 and 11 and a Dexterity score between 10 and 21. This leaves plenty of room for a host of creatures with no modifiers whatsoever to either score. And mind you, that table just references the majority case. There are bound to be a number of creatures that have scores that fall outside the given ranges (either higher or lower ends).

That being said, a very basic Small race with no Strength penalty is the Goblin. For something more exotic, you could also try a True dragon. Even Tiny ones have no Strength penalty.

You'll likely find a number of worthwhile candidates if you page through your Monster Manual or SRD. Just be sure to check if your DM will allow that race.

TO_Incognito
2007-09-30, 04:33 PM
197 Continuation

That being said, a very basic Small race with no Strength penalty is the Goblin.

But my MM and the hypertext SRD say that Goblins do have a Str penalty )=.

Thanks for the response, though; a true dragon might work. Does anyone know of a specific humanoid-sorta race with Small size, +0 LA, and no Str penalty?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-30, 05:05 PM
But my MM and the hypertext SRD say that Goblins do have a Str penalty )=.
Crap. I didn't look at the Goblins as characters section, but saw their 11 Strength rating in the sample goblin stats. I forgot it used the nonelite array rather than the usual bunch of 10s and 11s.

So far, from core, the only Small creatures with no Strength penalty that are not some way or another listed as being inappropriate for PCs are true dragons and Flamebrother Salammanders, both of which have racial HD and LA. Mephits have cohort LA, though, so some DMs might consider them appropriate.

Another option, if your DM allows, is to take an awakened animal. Neither dire rats, dogs, nor eagles have Strength penalties. However, their unbalanced ability scores (and flight in the case of the eagles) may be enough to merit level adjustment, despite the other disadvantages that come with the animal form.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-30, 05:20 PM
A197 Contention

The lowest LA for a dragon (even the wyrmling) is +2 for a white, brass or copper wyrmling.

I searched through the Crystal Keep creatures list and none of them qualified either.

Dhavaer
2007-09-30, 07:39 PM
Q 198

Does a Warblade/Swordsage/Master of Nine apply her Master of Nine levels to the initiator level of both Warblade and Swordsage, or only to one?

Morbius
2007-09-30, 08:21 PM
Q 199

Is there any feat that allow you to stun using a shield bash?

I am pretty sure I saw that before, or maybe it was a class ability...

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-30, 09:00 PM
A 198
The wording appears to allow Martial Prestige Classes to apply their full level to all initiator levels a character may have. So a Warblade 4/Swordsage 6/Master of Nine 3 would have a Warblade initiator level of 10 and a Swordsage initiator level of 11.

A 199
You may be thinking of Shield Slam, a feat from Complete Warrior. However, the target is dazed rather than stunned.

TMZ_Cinoros
2007-10-01, 05:12 AM
Q. 200

Will Haste or the Monk's Flurry of Blows ability add extra actions during a grapple (for example, could a monk with a BAB of +5 Flurry to pin and attack the opponent in the same round)? Or are only extra attacks from a high BAB counted? The description of grapple only mentions attacks from high BAB, but I do not see a difference between an extra attack granted by Haste and an extra attack granted by high BAB besides having a different Attack Bonus, so such a distinction seems arbitrary (of course, this is RAW...).

P.S.: Thanks to Curmudgeon, Citizen Joe, Lord_Silvanos, and Jasdoif on question 174. I would have thanked you guys earlier, but I wasn't sure about the policy of non-question posts and didn't see any other posts thanking people, so I assumed that such posts were not allowed.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-01, 05:49 AM
A. 195 Correction

A195 You can't trip an already prone target, but you do get a free attack after the knockdown. Also, Improved Trip, like Cleave, uses the same attack bonus.

The errata to Sword and Fist clarified that you do not get an extra attack when using Knockdown if you also had Improved Trip.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-01, 05:55 AM
A. 200

Haste and similar grants extra attacks, but actions that require grapple checks are not attacks in that sense, so haste will not grant you extra grapple actions.

However, Haste would still grant you an additional attack with a weapon(following the normal restriction for attacking in a grapple), but this attack could not be substituted for a different grapple action that would require a grapple check.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-01, 07:13 AM
Re: A 200
It seems that being used as an attack is the default for most actions that can be used during a grapple.

Some of these actions take the place of an attack (rather than being a standard action or a move action). If your base attack bonus allows you multiple attacks, you can attempt one of these actions in place of each of your attacks, but at successively lower base attack bonuses.

As they have no other action type listed, we can assume the following actions can be taken in place of a normal attack:
Attack Your Opponent
Damage Your Opponent
Escape from Grapple with a Grapple Check
Pin Your Opponent
Break Another's Pin
Use Opponent's Weapon
Disarm a pinned opponent
Escape a pin with a grapple check

All other actions either have a longer default action type or another action type explicitly listed in their descriptions.

Bronz
2007-10-01, 08:28 AM
Q201

Do a warlock's invocations take a standard action to cast no matter what ala spell-like ability or is it based on the casting time of the spell itself if equivalent, ie Summon Swarm?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-01, 08:41 AM
A 201
Warlock invocations are specifically spell-like abilities and specifically take a standard action to cast.

An invocation performing as a specific spell performs that way in regards to the actual functional aspects of the spell rather than the cost of casting it. The "costs" of casting a spell include the casting time and components. As such, the summon swarm invocation no more has the casting time one round than it as the Verbal and Material components of the spell version.

Sepp
2007-10-01, 09:04 AM
A. 195 Correction

The errata to Sword and Fist clarified that you do not get an extra attack when using Knockdown if you also had Improved Trip.

Q.195 continued

So, if I use Improved Trip, I get a free attack on the now prone Target. If I use Knockdown, the target is merely prone, correct?

(assuming I win the Trip rolls)

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-01, 09:17 AM
A 195
Well, your opponent also takes the damage that triggered the Knock-down, of course. Otherwise, you are correct. You do not get any free attacks. :smallwink:

Sepp
2007-10-01, 09:22 AM
Thanks, that clears it up! (Well, the AoO from standing from prone is sorta free :smallbiggrin: )

Fax Celestis
2007-10-01, 01:26 PM
Q196 What does the legion of sentinels spell in PHB-II do? It covers an area with sentinels that can make attacks of opportunity, but fails to mention what those attacks are capable of.

Morbius
2007-10-01, 01:44 PM
A 196

First of all their damage is in the short description on page 100, the give you flanking bonus and make ONLY AoO

The description doesn't say but I doubt the have the combat reflexes feat, so each of them do only one attack/round. BUT think about this: you cause an attack of opportunity if you move by someone, enter his square and the list goes on... there is a warrior on EACH square, the spell covers initially at least 35 ft for a wizard, now you try to move in that area, stand up, follow someone in there, etc, etc and cause an AoO from each of the warriors that will be by your side :P, nice battlefield control spell.
If you center this on an enemy and he moves 5 feet he suffers 9 AoOs (scary for a 3rd level spell)

SquireJames
2007-10-01, 01:56 PM
Q193

What happens if a ghost (or other incorporeal creature) with the Ghostly Grasp feat puts a corporeal object within a noncorporeal container (extradimensional or otherwise)?

The item does not actually become incorporeal. The feat's ability just grants the ghost "special permission" to handle corporeal objects. If the incorporeal container somehow attained this feat, it could perhaps hold the item. Otherwise, the item just falls to the floor as soon as the ghost releases it.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-01, 02:02 PM
A 196

First of all their damage is in the short description on page 100, the give you flanking bonus and make ONLY AoO

The description doesn't say but I doubt the have the combat reflexes feat, so each of them do only one attack/round. BUT think about this: you cause an attack of opportunity if you move by someone, enter his square and the list goes on... there is a warrior on EACH square, the spell covers initially at least 35 ft for a wizard, now you try to move in that area, stand up, follow someone in there, etc, etc and cause an AoO from each of the warriors that will be by your side :P, nice battlefield control spell.
If you center this on an enemy and he moves 5 feet he suffers 9 AoOs (scary for a 3rd level spell)

No, no, you've missed what I'm saying: What do these AoOs do? There's no damage listed for the spell.

Morbius
2007-10-01, 02:24 PM
A 196

read first, reply later :smallwink:

Morbius
2007-10-01, 02:25 PM
EDIT: Argh, can't delete my own double posts :smalltongue:

Sepp
2007-10-01, 03:09 PM
No, no, you've missed what I'm saying: What do these AoOs do? There's no damage listed for the spell.

Pg 100, PHB 2, Legion of Sentinels- Deal 1d8 damage +1/3 levels (max 5)

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-01, 03:33 PM
Q196
Shouldn't that be 202? There was a delayed response on number 195. We had gotten up through 201 before that.

The "real" 196 was a question on Arterial Strike.

Thomix
2007-10-01, 04:48 PM
Q 197

I heard of a template with a +0 LA that give +2 cha and -2 wis. What is the name of that template, and where i can find it?

Ponce
2007-10-01, 05:27 PM
A203 (197)

The magic-blooded template provides +2 Cha, -2 Wis at no level adjustment. It is from Dragon#306 p64. It can also be found On The Crystalkeep 3.0 Templates Sheet (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.0Index-Templates.pdf), p15.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-01, 05:28 PM
Q 197
Likewise, this should be 203. (See my post above.)

Alleine
2007-10-01, 07:36 PM
Q 204

Are undead still subject to death by massive damage?

Jasdoif
2007-10-01, 07:43 PM
A204

No. Aside from the Undead type being specifically mentioned as not subject to massive damage, any creature without a Constitution is immune to effects that allow a Fortitude save, unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless. Massive damage allows a Fortitude save, and neither works on objects nor is harmless.

kjones
2007-10-01, 09:15 PM
Here come the silly mounted combat questions:

Q 205

The Mounted Archery feat specifies a reduction in the penalty for ranged attacks when the mount takes a double move. Is there any penalty when the mount takes a single move?

Q 206

According to the rules, there's no penalty for making an attack with a melee weapon while mounted, even when the mount moves up to its full speed. Does this mean that the mount can take a double move, and the rider can still make an attack? What is the difference between this and a mounted charge?

Q 207

How, exactly, does the Ride-By Attack feat work? If I understand correctly, it lets you make an attack and then keep moving, sort of like Spring Attack. But wouldn't the mount have to trample the opponent in order for this to work? Or does it only work if you drop the opponent with the attack?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-01, 11:25 PM
A. 205

No, you may make a single attack (standard action) before or after the mount moves.

A. 206

The rules could be a little clearer, but if your mount makes a double move you cannot make a melee attack unless you are charging.
If your mount takes a single move you may attack either before or after and you can make a full attack if your mount only moves 5 feet.

A. 207

You cannot Overrun as part of a charge, because an Overrun takes a standard action to perform.
You can however perform a Ride-by attack even if you do not drop your opponent, but it does require that your mount is able to run in a straight line past the opponent and that it the shortest route on which you can attack. This typically mean that you start a little to the side of the opponent.

Example:

-----------------------O
XX---------------------
XX---------------------

O: Opponent
X: Mount

Alveanerle
2007-10-02, 03:27 AM
Q. 206
If mob with improved grab (say on a 10 ft reach bite attack) hits an opponent, does he automaticly bring the opponent to his square? Normaly with grapple its the initiator who enters the square, is it different with improved grab?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-02, 03:35 AM
A. 208 (NOT 206)

2 x yes.

... When a creature gets a hold after an improved grab attack, it pulls the opponent into its space. This act does not provoke attacks of opportunity. It can even move (possibly carrying away the opponent), provided it can drag the opponent’s weight.

Spacefrog
2007-10-02, 01:08 PM
Q. 209

Does someone who succeeds a saving throw against scrying know that someone tried to scry on them? I'm under the impression that people are generally meant to be aware that they've made a saving throw and have a rough idea of what they saved against, but the existence of a detect scrying spell suggests that you're normally unaware of scrying attempts.

Q. 210

Could someone choose to fail a saving throw against scrying depending on who was casting it? E.g. if you know that your friend the wizard might scry on you to check you were okay, but that the BBEG might also scry on you.

Jasdoif
2007-10-02, 01:33 PM
A209

In the case of a scrying spell, the subject is aware that it saved against something, but does not know what the spell is (well, unless it succeeds on a Spellcraft check to identify the spell).

Detect Scrying allows you to be aware of attempts to observe you through scrying effects, which covers failed saves as well as those scrying spells that don't target you directly and thus don't allow you to make a save. It can also allow to get some idea of who is scrying you.

The SRD's description of the scrying subschool may also be handy:
A scrying spell creates an invisible magical sensor that sends you information. Unless noted otherwise, the sensor has the same powers of sensory acuity that you possess. This level of acuity includes any spells or effects that target you, but not spells or effects that emanate from you. However, the sensor is treated as a separate, independent sensory organ of yours, and thus it functions normally even if you have been blinded, deafened, or otherwise suffered sensory impairment.

Any creature with an Intelligence score of 12 or higher can notice the sensor by making a DC 20 Intelligence check. The sensor can be dispelled as if it were an active spell.

Lead sheeting or magical protection blocks a scrying spell, and you sense that the spell is so blocked.

A210

You could elect to fail the save intentionally, but the spell gives you no way of identifying the caster before you make the save. You would need some other method of confirming it was your ally scrying after the fact (perhaps a sending (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sending.htm) or telepathic bond (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/telepathicBond.htm); or depending on the scrying spell, even message (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/message.htm) might work), or to have the ally cast the spell in front of you so you know to fail the save.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-02, 01:41 PM
A. 209

You sense a hostile force, but have no idea about what targeted you.

Succeeding on a Saving Throw: A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creature’s saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells.

A. 210

Yes, but you would have no idea whether the attempt was friendly.

Voluntarily Giving up a Saving Throw: A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell’s result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic can suppress this quality.

EDIT: Ninja'ed :smallfurious:
... But at least I have some srd references to supplement.... :smallsigh:

Jasdoif
2007-10-02, 01:48 PM
EDIT: Ninja'ed :smallfurious:
... But at least I have some srd references to supplement.... :smallsigh:Yes, between the two of us I think we have the references covered.

Popcorn?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-02, 01:59 PM
Yes, between the two of us I think we have the references covered.

Popcorn?

For me?

Certainly! :smallamused:

Jasdoif
2007-10-02, 02:03 PM
For me?

Certainly! :smallamused:Well, that is what I meant.

Nightwalker
2007-10-02, 02:11 PM
Dnd 3.5 question.

Q211:
A character in DnD can run up to his Constitution Score number of rounds before having to rest for 1 minute. Is this a number of rounds per day, per hour or per 10 minutes or does it actually mean only straight running? I had a player who had a Constitution of 16 and thought he could run for 15 rounds, then hustle for one round and continue this just having to make forced march checks every hour. I ruled just that the max he could get would be the hustle speed, but I'd like some actual rule to point to.

Nightwalker
2007-10-02, 02:35 PM
A 205

You can use ranged weapons while your mount is taking a double move, but at a -4 penalty on the attack roll. You can use ranged weapons while your mount is running (quadruple speed), at a -8 penalty. In either case, you make the attack roll when your mount has completed half its movement. You can make a full attack with a ranged weapon while your mount is moving.

You have options when doing a single move. The ranged attack could be made at half movement allowing a move action at the beginning or end (ie mount/dismount). Or you could do it at beginning or end and perform the move action while in motion (ie Draw Bow, or Load Crossbow to fire at end, Sheath after firing at beginning, or retrieve items from bags)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-02, 02:39 PM
Dnd 3.5 question.

Q211:
A character in DnD can run up to his Constitution Score number of rounds before having to rest for 1 minute. Is this a number of rounds per day, per hour or per 10 minutes or does it actually mean only straight running? I had a player who had a Constitution of 16 and thought he could run for 15 rounds, then hustle for one round and continue this just having to make forced march checks every hour. I ruled just that the max he could get would be the hustle speed, but I'd like some actual rule to point to.

A. 211

The number of rounds you can run does not reset before you have rested for a minute.
While resting you can only move half your speed.

Run: A character with a Constitution score of 9 or higher can run for a minute without a problem. Generally, a character can run for a minute or two before having to rest for a minute

Run: A character can’t run for an extended period of time.

Attempts to run and rest in cycles effectively work out to a hustle.

Run

You can run as a full-round action. (If you do, you do not also get a 5-foot step.) When you run, you can move up to four times your speed in a straight line (or three times your speed if you’re in heavy armor). You lose any Dexterity bonus to AC unless you have the Run feat

You can run for a number of rounds equal to your Constitution score, but after that you must make a DC 10 Constitution check to continue running. You must check again each round in which you continue to run, and the DC of this check increases by 1 for each check you have made. When you fail this check, you must stop running. A character who has run to his limit must rest for 1 minute (10 rounds) before running again. During a rest period, a character can move no faster than a normal move action.

You can’t run across difficult terrain or if you can’t see where you’re going.

A run represents a speed of about 12 miles per hour for an unencumbered human.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-02, 02:45 PM
A. 205 Follow up

A 205

The ranged attack(s) are made at half movement, not at beginning or end. And you would still have a move action left. With only using a single move, you could do it at beginning or end but that would end your turn, since your move action was spent waiting for the horse to get into position or riding along after the shot.

If you make the shot while moving you suffer the -4 penalty to attack. If you make your shot before or after the horse moves you do not suffer any penalty to attack.

EDIT:

Well, that is what I meant.

Just making sure. :smalltongue:

TO_Incognito
2007-10-02, 04:10 PM
Q205 Further

No, you may make a single attack (standard action) before or after the mount moves.

I'm still confused )=. Is it totally impossible to make a full attack with a ranged weapon on the same round your mount moves more than 5 feet?

Are those penalties to ranged attacks for double mount movement really bypassed by just attacking before or after the mount moves? Is the point that attacking with a standard action before your mount moves bypasses the penalty, but to use a full round action to get a full attack, you have to shoot while the mount is moving and eat the penalty?

Chronos
2007-10-02, 05:06 PM
You can act before or after your mount acts, or you can act while your mount acts. If you make a single attack before your mount makes a single move action, then you attack in the first half of your round, and the mount moves in the second half of the round, so there's no penalty for moving. However, if you make a full attack (with a ranged weapon; full melee attack is impossible while moving), or the mount takes a double move or a run, then you have to do your thing at the same time the mount is moving, so you get a penalty.

martyboy74
2007-10-02, 08:34 PM
Q212: Can a cleric cast Eagle's Splendor on themselves in order to acquire extra turn/rebuke undead attempts? If so, what happens after the spell expires?

Jasdoif
2007-10-02, 08:41 PM
A212

Yes, a temporary Charisma bonus increases the number of turn attempts you can make on a particular day. As for when it expires...well, you keep track of how many turn attempts you've used during the day, not how many you have remaining; if the loss of a bonus reduces your total below how many uses you have, you can't make another turning attempt.

Here's the FAQ on the subject:
When a cleric has a temporary bonus to his Charisma score, does it affect his turning check or turning damage? Does it change the number of times he can turn or rebuke per day?

Unless otherwise stated, a temporary bonus to an ability score has the same effect as a permanent one. For example, a cleric with a temporary +4 enhancement bonus to Charisma (such as from eagle’s splendor) adds 2 to his turning check and to his turning damage while the spell was in effect, since his Charisma modifier is 2 points higher than it was before.

Things get a little stickier when talking about powers with daily limits, such as turn/rebuke undead or lay on hands. (Hold on, because this gets worse before it gets better.) In this case, a change to the key ability score indeed affects the daily limit— in the example above, the cleric would gain 2 additional turn/rebuke attempts per day—but these aren’t just “free” uses. Here’s why:

Assume the cleric above has a normal Charisma score of 12, granting him 4 turn attempts per day (3 + 1 for Cha bonus). Casting eagle’s splendor increases his Charisma to 16, which would grant 6 attempts per day. At the end of the spell, however, his daily limit would drop back down to 4 attempts. At that point, the player must compare the number of daily uses expended to the daily limit to see if any still remain.

Here’s how that might work in play. Our cleric turns undead twice, then casts eagle’s splendor right before a big fight with a horde of zombies. During the duration of the spell, he makes four more turning checks. When the spell ends, he compares his new daily limit (4) to the number of attempts used (6)—whoops, no turns left. Hope all the undead have been destroyed, because even if the cleric cast eagle’s splendor again, he wouldn’t have any more turning attempts available, since he’s already used all 6 of his allotted attempts. If he could increase his Charisma to 18, he’d “gain” one more turning attempt (since he has now used 6 out of his allotted 7 daily attempts), usable only during the duration of the Charisma-boosting effect.

The same is true of the paladin’s lay on hands ability. If the paladin gains a temporary Charisma boost, her total capacity of healing via lay on hands improves accordingly, but she must keep track of the healing “used up” to see if any remains after the boost ends.

Temporary ability reductions (such as penalties or damage) work similarly. When applying a reduction, do the math as if a bonus had just elapsed to see if any daily uses are left, and reverse that when the reduction goes away to see what (if anything) the character regains. If our cleric above is hit by touch of idiocy and suffers a –4 penalty to Charisma, his daily limit of turning attempts is reduced from 4 to 2; if he’s already used 2 or more, he has none available as long as the spell’s effect lasts.

This seems more complicated than it actually is. As long as you remember that the important number to track is not uses remaining, but uses expended, everything else should fall into place.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-10-02, 09:36 PM
A few minor "I'm almost sure it works this way, but."

Q. 213a
When making use of the Able Learner feat, which allows a character to spend one rank for all skills, regardless of cross-class/class status, would a character with, for instance, one level in Factotum- thus gaining all skills as Class Skills for at least one of their classes- be capable of spending one point to gain ranks in any skill, with a maximum rank of character level +3?

Q. 213b
As the ability of a Ring of the Darkhidden states that you are 'invisible' to darkvision, but does not specify 'as the spell', what effects, per RAW, would allow a character to perceive a character in total darkness wearing such a ring?

Per RAW, is the above distinction valid?

Jasdoif
2007-10-02, 09:43 PM
A213a maybe

While I'm not familiar with that particular feat, character level + 3 is indeed the cap for a skill that's a class skill for any class you possess. If all Able Learner does is remove the "2 skill points for cross-class rank" thing, you should indeed be able to put your ranks in any skill up to that cap.

A213b

Blindsight comes to mind. Blindsense and tremorsense would allow you to detect the general location of such a creature, as well.

Alleine
2007-10-02, 11:11 PM
Q 214

Can a Rod of Absorption be utilized by a Warlock to cast spells(with an appropriate spellcraft check)?

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-02, 11:37 PM
Q 215

a) How many skill points does Truenamer get per level? I think its 4, but I'm not sure, and don't have access to the book at the moment.

b) Does Truenamer get UMD as a class skill? If not, what source books have feats that would allow me to gain UMD as a class skill?

Edit- Re: Winged One: Sweet.

Winged One
2007-10-02, 11:45 PM
A 215
A Truenamer gets 4+INT bonus skill points per level, multiplied by 4 at level 1 as normal. Use Magic Device is a class skill for the Truenamer class.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-02, 11:59 PM
Q 216

Is there a deity with both the Knowledge and Healing domains?

Jasdoif
2007-10-03, 12:15 AM
A216 partial

This question is highly campaign-specific.

Of the core deities (as far as Complete Divine lists them), no. Only Pelor has the Healing domain, and he does not have the Knowledge domain.

As an alternative, remember that you can elect to worship an ideal instead of a deity, and you would be allowed to choose your domains in this case (Complete Divine even recommends this if you can't find a deity offering both of the domains you want). Also, a cloistered cleric gets access to the Knowledge domain in addition to two other domains, even if worshiping a deity that does not grant the Knowledge domain.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-03, 12:23 AM
RE: 216 partial
I'm not actually playing a cleric, I was just wanting to choose a deity that fit my character's personality. I figured that I would probably wind up going with Pelor.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-03, 12:57 AM
A. 214

A Rod of Absorption does not store or hold any spells that can be cast from it. It stores spell energy that can be used to cast your own spells instead of expending your prepared spells or daily uses.
If you do not cast any spells you only benefit from the Rod's absorbing qualities.

TK-Squared
2007-10-03, 11:24 AM
Q217

Is there a template with LA +0? If so, where is it?

Misasura
2007-10-03, 12:47 PM
Q218:

Why does the game insist that spellcasters have less hit points than a squirrel?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-03, 12:52 PM
Q218:

Why does the game insist that spellcasters have less hit points than a squirrel?

A. 218

This is not a RAW question.

I suggest you start a separate thread for this. (Some might bite)

However, I think the answer you will get there is that it is a balance concern.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-03, 12:56 PM
A218 Contrary to popular belief, hit points do not reflect only toughness. To a moderate degree, they also represent your ability to negate a hit, whether by dodging, armor, or otherwise. Spellcasters, having spent more time on magic than combat, are not good at dodging blows, while squirrels, having spent time in the wild, are capable of avoiding damage as it is necessary for their continued survival.

Curmudgeon
2007-10-03, 03:35 PM
Q 219 Does non-total cover block line of effect?

Cover

To determine whether your target has cover from your ranged attack, choose a corner of your square. If any line from this corner to any corner of the target’s square passes through a square or border that blocks line of effect or provides cover, or through a square occupied by a creature, the target has cover (+4 to AC). I'm confused by the use of "or" here. A square occupied by a creature provides cover, so these aren't mutually exclusive. Plus this primary reference is recursive, using "or provides cover" in the definition of "cover".

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-03, 03:52 PM
A. 219

No, the or is used because there are terrain features that simply provide cover.

Line of Effect: A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what a spell can affect. A line of effect is canceled by a solid barrier. It’s like line of sight for ranged weapons, except that it’s not blocked by fog, darkness, and other factors that limit normal sight.

An otherwise solid barrier with a hole of at least 1 square foot through it does not block a spell’s line of effect. Such an opening means that the 5-foot length of wall containing the hole is no longer considered a barrier for purposes of a spell’s line of effect.

EDIT:

A219 probably

EDIT: Ninja'd by the Popcorn Tyrant!

...is it my turn for popcorn now?

Considering that it was only yesterday that I was ninja'ed I really cannot see how that would be reasonable. :smalltongue:

Jasdoif
2007-10-03, 03:55 PM
A219 probably

I would say no. Cover less then total cover is insufficient to prevent a ranged attack, and line of effect is described as like line of sight for ranged weapons except blocked by fewer things. So if a ranged attack is allowed, I believe that means line of effect is present.

Plus this primary reference is recursive, using "or provides cover" in the definition of "cover".The definition in this case refers to determining if a target has cover against an attack, which is the case if a square or border between the attacker and defender provides cover. The list of dungeon and wilderness terrain types denotes what terrain features provide cover.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the Popcorn Tyrant!

...is it my turn for popcorn now?

daggaz
2007-10-03, 05:30 PM
Q. 220

A PC is waste deep in water, what are the penalties to his AC, AB, and movement (as well as anything else relevant). Also, where is this info located? Could have sworn I saw it before, but now all I can find is a situation described in underwater combat, when you are at least chest deep..

Jasdoif
2007-10-03, 05:40 PM
A220

You're probably looking for the section on pools (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/dungeons.htm#pool) in dungeons.

I think deep pool is what you're looking for:
Deep Pool

These squares have at least 4 feet of standing water. It costs Medium or larger creatures 4 squares of movement to move into a square with a deep pool, or characters can swim if they wish. Small or smaller creatures must swim to move through a square containing a deep pool. Tumbling is impossible in a deep pool. The water in a deep pool provides cover for Medium or larger creatures. Smaller creatures gain improved cover (+8 bonus to AC, +4 bonus on Reflex saves). Medium or larger creatures can crouch as a move action to gain this improved cover. Creatures with this improved cover take a -10 penalty on attacks against creatures that aren’t also underwater.

Deep pool squares are usually clustered together and surrounded by a ring of shallow pool squares. Both shallow pools and deep pools impose a -2 circumstance penalty on Move Silently checks.

Alleine
2007-10-03, 05:41 PM
Q 221

Do you gain an extra standard action through the flyby attack feat?

When flying, the creature can take a move action (including a dive) and another standard action at any point during the move. The creature cannot take a second move action during a round when it makes a flyby attack.

A friend said it worked like spring attack, which I don't doubt, but the wording is vastly different.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-03, 05:47 PM
A 221
Flyby Attack is different from Spring Attack in that you can take any standard action at any point during your move. Unlike Spring Attack, Flyby Attack does not protect you from any attacks of opportunity even if you use it to make a melee attack.

Despite the feat's craptacular wording, we can be quite sure that the feat is not meant to give you any extra actions, as such wold be exceedingly overpowered. That is, you are still limited to one move action and one standard action, but you can break your move action up around your one standard action.

Jasdoif
2007-10-03, 05:49 PM
A221 comment

If you have Improved Flyby Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedFlybyAttack), your movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity from your target.

RS14
2007-10-03, 05:56 PM
Q222

Can the Returning special ability be placed on shuriken? If so, are they destroyed by use?

Returning

This special ability can only be placed on a weapon that can be thrown. A returning weapon flies through the air back to the creature that threw it. It returns to the thrower just before the creature’s next turn (and is therefore ready to use again in that turn).

Generally speaking, ammunition that hits its target is destroyed or rendered useless, while normal ammunition that misses has a 50% chance of being destroyed or lost.