PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By RAW) IV

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Jasdoif
2007-10-03, 06:05 PM
A222

Yes, and yes. A shuriken can be thrown and thus qualifies for returning, and is destroyed on a successful hit as normal for magic ammunition.

Magic Ammunition and Breakage

When a magic arrow, crossbow bolt, shuriken, or sling bullet misses its target, there is a 50% chance it breaks or otherwise is rendered useless. A magic arrow, bolt, bullet, or shuriken that hits is destroyed.

This means you have a 50/50 chance of a shuriken that misses returning to you.

Jasdoif
2007-10-03, 06:28 PM
Q223

Do aasimar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/planetouched.htm#aasimar) age (and die of old age)? More generally, are there rules/guidelines to aging for creatures who don't have age categories explicitly listed?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-03, 06:34 PM
A 223
There are no set rules on aging for races that have no age categories or maximum ages listed. It is up to the DM to decide what is appropriate for his or her campaign.

daggaz
2007-10-03, 06:55 PM
Q. 224

Will the darkness spell effectively turn off a mundane lightsource? Like, if you are in a cave holding a torch, and darkness is cast in your area, your torch still burns, but you are effectively blind now unless you have darkvision or can leave the area of effect?

Jasdoif
2007-10-03, 07:07 PM
A224

Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm), believe it or not, doesn't actually cause darkness; it creates shadowy illumination that suppresses other light sources (unless they're light spells of higher level). Everything in the area has concealment, but you otherwise retain the ability to see.

Your torch remains burning, but its lighting is suppressed while in the spell's area.

daggaz
2007-10-03, 07:12 PM
Q 224 cont'd

Umm... yeah, so it basically works exactly like I said in my question? Your torch gets surpressed, and because you dont have darkvision (and the cave is dark) you are blind until you can leave the area of effect?

Jasdoif
2007-10-03, 07:15 PM
Q 224 cont'd

Umm... yeah, so it basically works exactly like I said in my question? Your torch gets surpressed, and because you dont have darkvision (and the cave is dark) you are blind until you can leave the area of effect?You're not blind. The darkness spell creates an area of shadowy illumination, like the outer half of a torch's illumination. Everything has concealment, but otherwise you can see just fine.

You could even cast darkness in actual darkness, and you would be able to see in its area because of its shadowy illumination.

daggaz
2007-10-03, 07:23 PM
You just said it does suppress the light of torches and lower level light spells. So if you are in a naturally dark room, and dont have darkvision, and your torch is suppressed, you are blind, no?

I am aware that darkvision characters like drow and dwarves will only suffer 20% miss chance if darkness is cast on them while they are in a cave.

Jasdoif
2007-10-03, 07:29 PM
You just said it does suppress the light of torches and lower level light spells. So if you are in a naturally dark room, and dont have darkvision, and your torch is suppressed, you are blind, no?

I am aware that darkvision characters like drow and dwarves will only suffer 20% miss chance if darkness is cast on them while they are in a cave.The brighter light sources are suppressed, yes; but the darkness spell itself generates shadowy illumination. If the room is naturally dark, the spell provides its illumination to it. "Shadowy illumination" is a definite term (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm#visionAndLight), and normally describes the far half of an area lit by a light source, where it isn't as bright as being fully lit but you can still see.

No, it doesn't make sense that the darkness spell doesn't actually make darkness. However, that's what the spell is called, and that's what the spell does. A human can see in the area, although it is dimly lit, and retains (or gains) the use of vision except for the 20% miss chance from concealment because the light is shadowy.

martyboy74
2007-10-03, 08:09 PM
Q225: If you have multiple spells cast on you that alter your size (that aren't the same spell), are you only affected by one, or are you affected by all of them? For example, Righteous Wrath and Enlarge Person.

Enlong
2007-10-03, 08:12 PM
Q226:

An Alienist's Summon Alien ability states that they are forever barred from summoning nonpseudonatural creatures with a Summon Monster spell. Would an Alienist be allowed to summon nonpseudonatural creatures with another summoning spell, like Summon Elemental Monolith?

Ponce
2007-10-03, 08:27 PM
A225

From SRD:

Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack.
I believe this means you only become as large as any one spell would allow. You are only affected by one.

Ponce
2007-10-03, 08:46 PM
Q227

Consider the following combination.

Druid 13/*
Feats: Extend Spell, Persistent Spell
Wild Shape into a Shambling Mound.
Cast a Persisted Thunderhead Spell (Spell Compendium) on yourself.

Do you:
a) Gain 1d4 points of temporary constitution every time you are struck by a bolt from thunderhead?
b) Retain these points after you wildshape out of this form?
c) Gain hit points as a result, either in your regular form or in your wildshaped form?
d) Become capable of applying this score to other areas while Wildshaped, such as through Steadfast Determination or the Fist of the Forest/Deepwarden PrCs?

Jasdoif
2007-10-03, 10:05 PM
A226

Yes. The text says you can no longer use summon monster spells to summon nonpseudonatural creatures; it says nothing about other conjuration (summoning) spells.

Yeygresh
2007-10-03, 10:12 PM
Q228

Being new to the game, I'm a little unsure how this works.

When I multiclass, do class skills carry over into other classes?

Let's say I have a level 1 Rogue with 4 ranks in Tumble. If, when I level up, I choose to take a level in Cleric(thus being R1/C1), can I put 1 rank in Tumble(because it carried over), or do I have to put a 1/2 rank int it(because it's cross-class)?

Jasdoif
2007-10-03, 10:20 PM
A228

It's a little bit more complicated then that. Whether a skill point is applied class or cross-class depends on what class you're getting it from; but the maximum number of skill ranks depends on if it's a class skill for any of your classes.

In your example, it would take 2 cleric skill points to get another rank in Tumble, giving you 5 ranks in Tumble, because that's cross-class for clerics. You can have up to 5 ranks in Tumble because Tumble is a class skill for one of your classes (Rogue, specifically); if you tried to get skill ranks in Handle Animal, for instance, you could only get up to 2 and a half ranks in it because it's not a class skill for any of your classes.

Kyace
2007-10-03, 10:57 PM
Q229

Are the spells that a first level wizard get for free a class feature or a part of the starting package? For example, if you took a level of fighter before taking a level of wizard, do you get the [all cantrips + 3 1st-level spells + 1 1st-level spell/point of int bonus] added to your spellbook still?

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-04, 12:12 AM
Q229

Are the spells that a first level wizard get for free a class feature or a part of the starting package? For example, if you took a level of fighter before taking a level of wizard, do you get the [all cantrips + 3 1st-level spells + 1 1st-level spell/point of int bonus] added to your spellbook still?

A299:

A wizard begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level wizard spells (except those from her prohibited school or schools, if any; see School Specialization, below) plus three 1st-level spells of your choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus the wizard has, the spellbook holds one additional 1st-level spell of your choice.

In my opinion, no. This is slightly ambiguous, however.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-04, 12:27 AM
A. 224 addendum

Sorry to bring this question up again, but I feel it is important to stress the fact that Darkvision does not let you overcome the concealment miss chance of the shadowy illumination created by Darkness.

This spell causes an object to radiate shadowy illumination out to a 20-foot radius. All creatures in the area gain concealment (20% miss chance). Even creatures that can normally see in such conditions (such as with darkvision or low-light vision) have the miss chance in an area shrouded in magical darkness.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-04, 12:31 AM
A. 227

No, because you do not gain the Shambling Mound's immunity to electricity.

The creature retains the special qualities of its original form. It does not gain any special qualities of its new form.

Alveanerle
2007-10-04, 01:46 AM
Q. 230
How to distinguish between effect being magical or not - would the criterium of "allows Spell Resistance" be a good one? So for example magical fire is one that allows SR, and nonmagical fire is one that does not allow SR?

Q. 231
Wall of Thorns for hippies:
A. Does freedom of movement allow for passage through the wall of thorns without the need for strength check?
B. Does the character still suffer the damage from prickling thorns?
C. Would the Travel domain freedom of movement effect (only works versus magical effects) work here? The Wall of Thorns does not allow for SR, so in my opinion it cannot be treated as "magical effect" any more than "summoned elemental tries to grapple me" is.

Q. 232
A. If an empowered scorching ray scores a critical - how the damage is calculated? Is it (4d6)*3 or (4d6)*1.5+(4d6) or (4d6)*1.5+(4d6)*1.5?
B. If scorching ray scores a critical versus creature vulnerable to fire (+50% damage) - is it any different from the example of empowered scorching ray scoring critical?
C. If creature is both vulnerable to fire and protected by resist energy (fire) - which effect gets applied first, the -10 from resist or the +50% from vulnerability?

Jasdoif
2007-10-04, 02:15 AM
A230

Supernatural abilities are magical but don't allow spell resistance, so your criteria doesn't work.

In general: effects caused by spells, spell-like abilities and supernatural abilities are magical. Effects caused by extraordinary abilities and natural abilities are not.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-04, 02:16 AM
A. 230

There are many magical effects that do not allow spell resistance, so the absence of Spell Resistance certainly does not ensure that the effect in question is non-magical.

On the other hand, if an effect allows for SR it certainly is magical.

The Flaming weapon special ability is an example of a magical fire effect that does not allow for SR.

It is usually not so difficult to determine whether an effect is magical as long as you know its source.

Only spells and spell-like abilities are subject to spell resistance. Extraordinary and supernatural abilities (including enhancement bonuses on magic weapons) are not. A creature can have some abilities that are subject to spell resistance and some that are not. Even some spells ignore spell resistance; see When Spell Resistance Applies, below.

EDIT: Ninja'ed (only once though, was expecting 3 times:-p)

This is why you never get any popcorn Jasdoif! :smallsigh:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-04, 02:28 AM
A. 231

A. 231

Q. 231
Wall of Thorns for hippies:
A. Does freedom of movement allow for passage through the wall of thorns without the need for strength check?
B. Does the character still suffer the damage from prickling thorns?
C. Would the Travel domain freedom of movement effect (only works versus magical effects) work here? The Wall of Thorns does not allow for SR, so in my opinion it cannot be treated as "magical effect" any more than "summoned elemental tries to grapple me" is.

ad A. Yes.

This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as paralysis, solid fog, slow, and web.

ad B. No.

Creatures with the ability to pass through overgrown areas unhindered can pass through a wall of thorns at normal speed without taking damage.

ad C. Yes. It is a conjuration spell of the creation subschool with a duration of non-instantaneous, so the spell is held together by magic and is therefore a magical effect.

If the duration had been instantaneous FoM from the travel domain would not have applied.

Creation: A creation spell manipulates matter to create an object or creature in the place the spellcaster designates (subject to the limits noted above). If the spell has a duration other than instantaneous, magic holds the creation together, and when the spell ends, the conjured creature or object vanishes without a trace. If the spell has an instantaneous duration, the created object or creature is merely assembled through magic. It lasts indefinitely and does not depend on magic for its existence.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-04, 02:43 AM
A. 232

Q. 232
A. If an empowered scorching ray scores a critical - how the damage is calculated? Is it (4d6)*3 or (4d6)*1.5+(4d6) or (4d6)*1.5+(4d6)*1.5?
B. If scorching ray scores a critical versus creature vulnerable to fire (+50% damage) - is it any different from the example of empowered scorching ray scoring critical?
C. If creature is both vulnerable to fire and protected by resist energy (fire) - which effect gets applied first, the -10 from resist or the +50% from vulnerability?

ad A

(4d6)*1.5+(4d6)*1.5

You always have to roll the critical damage again.

ad B

The result would be the same.

ad C

This was addressed in the FAQ.

If a monster has resistance and vulnerability to the same kind of damage (such as fire), which effect is applied first? And when does the saving throw come in?

Always roll a saving throw before applying any effects that would increase or reduce the damage dealt. For example, if a frost giant is struck by a fireball that would deal 35 points of damage, it would roll its Reflex save, then apply its vulnerability to fire after determining how much damage the fireball would normally deal. If the save failed, the frost giant would take 52 points of damage: 35 + one-half of 35 (17.5, rounded down to 17). A successful save would mean the frost giant suffered only 25 points of damage: one-half of 35 rounded down (17), plus one-half of 17 rounded down (8).

If the creature has both resistance and vulnerability to the same kind of damage, apply the resistance (which reduces the damage dealt by the effect) before applying the vulnerability (which increases the damage taken by the creature). For example, imagine our frost giant wore a ring of minor fire resistance (granting resistance to fire 10). If the save failed, the frost giant would take 37 points of fire damage: 35 (fireball) – 10 (resistance to fire 10) = 25, plus one-half of 25 (12.5, rounded down to 12). If the save succeeded, the frost giant would take only 10 points of damage: 17 (half damage from the fireball, rounded down) – 10 (resistance to fire 10) = 7, plus one-half of 7 (3.5, rounded down to 3).

As a general guideline, whenever the rules don’t stipulate an order of operations for special effects (such as spells or special abilities), you should apply them in the order that’s most beneficial to the creature. In the case of damage, this typically means applying any damage-reducing effects first, before applying any effects that would increase damage.

martyboy74
2007-10-04, 07:10 AM
Q. 233 If you have Evasive Reflexes (ToB), does taking the five foot step use your AoO for the round?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-04, 07:40 AM
A. 233

The feat's wording is less than clear. It simply says that you "instead" of making the AoO may take a 5-foot step, but not that this counts for the AoO in that round. The last part should probably have been included to avoid any doubt.

However, I think that the RAI is clear that it counts as a AoO for purposes of determining if you have can make any further AoOs in that round.

pantoffelheld
2007-10-04, 07:47 AM
Q. 234:

A PC wants to play a vampire (gnome rogue), but the LA+8 makes this impossible. Is there a lesser vampire template which doesn't raise ECl that much, but still holds the vampire flavour? I don't own many books so if legal, please stat out.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-04, 07:58 AM
A. 234

Libris Mortis has a 8th level monster class for a Vampire Spawn that grants 4 HD and retains the Vampire flavour. It also has the benefit that it can be played from level 1.

Douglas
2007-10-04, 08:50 AM
A234
Libris Mortis also has a half-Vampire template with a +2 LA IIRC.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-10-04, 01:19 PM
Q235
If a magical missile-launching weapon (sling, crossbow, etc - rather than an arrow or javelin) is Cursed with Opposite Effect, do all missiles fired with this weapon return and attack the user, or is the bonus just inverted to be a penalty?
Also, if the cursed weapon has a special effect, should that be inverted as well - so that flaming becomes frost, or distance becomes reduced distance?

Jasdoif
2007-10-04, 01:37 PM
A235

The cursed item section is more like a collection of suggestions then actual rules. That said....

For the first part, could be either. The -2 sword (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#swordCursed) and backbiter spear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#spearCursedBackbiter) would both be examples of "opposite effect" cursed items.

As for the other...flame to frost isn't really an opposite effect, as the item still deals 1d6 energy damage, just of a different type. If I recall correctly, the DMG gives as an example a wand of lightning bolt that heals damage instead of causing it. (The example is for opposite effect items that are not necessarily harmful; you could use such a wand for healing purposes) Something along those lines would be more appropriate...assuming you want to invert the special effect. There's no reason you have to have every property of the item be cursed.

Then again, if found in a region where cold-subtype creatures are common, a weapon that appears to be flaming but actually does cold damage might make an appropriate cursed item.

This is why you never get any popcorn Jasdoif! :smallsigh:This would be a much more convincing statement, if you gave me popcorn when I was ninja'd. :smalltongue:

Accountant
2007-10-04, 09:45 PM
Q 236

So, could a factotum(or any class, I guess) put ranks into psionic skills such as autohyponosis? I never saw anything in the skill descriptioin section saying you couldn't, which seemed odd.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/skills/autohypnosis.htm

Jasdoif
2007-10-04, 11:27 PM
A236

Yes. Anyone can take any skill. A fighter could take ranks in Autohypnosis as easily as ranks in Spellcraft, though both are cross-class. As for a factotum in particular, I don't know what their class skills are.

Are there no skills that are exclusive to certain classes in new version of the D&D game? For instance Decipher Script and Use Magical Device were exclusive to the rogue in the earlier version of the game.

Exclusive skills are a thing of the past.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-05, 12:57 AM
Q 237

SRD:
This spell calms agitated creatures. You have no control over the affected creatures, but calm emotions can stop raging creatures from fighting or joyous ones from reveling. Creatures so affected cannot take violent actions (although they can defend themselves) or do anything destructive. Any aggressive action against or damage dealt to a calmed creature immediately breaks the spell on all calmed creatures.

This spell automatically suppresses (but does not dispel) any morale bonuses granted by spells such as bless, good hope, and rage, as well as negating a bard’s ability to inspire courage or a barbarian’s rage ability. It also suppresses any fear effects and removes the confused condition from all targets. While the spell lasts, a suppressed spell or effect has no effect. When the calm emotions spell ends, the original spell or effect takes hold of the creature again, provided that its duration has not expired in the meantime.

Am I right in thinking that using Calm Emotions to suppress a fear effect in a battle is pointless, because as soon as anyone makes an attack, the fear effect will return immediatly? (see bolded material)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-05, 01:06 AM
A. 237

Yes, the fear effect is only suppressed for the duration.

However, I can still see that it could have some limited use to calm feared allies even if it is a short respite.

This would be a much more convincing statement, if you gave me popcorn when I was ninja'd. :smalltongue:

When humiliation has been visited upon you ten-fold and I am the only ninja around here we may begin to consider handing out pity popcorn for you. :smallamused:

Jasdoif
2007-10-05, 01:21 AM
A237 further comment

Calm emotions also has a duration of concentration (up to 1 round per level) without any added duration once you stop concentrating; so attempting to use it in combat would effectively take you out of the combat.

Consider using remove fear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/removeFear.htm) instead.

When humiliation has been visited upon you ten-fold and I am the only ninja around here we may begin to consider handing out pity popcorn for you. :smallamused:...I must say, your terms and conditions are highly dubious.

TheSteelRat
2007-10-05, 07:11 AM
Q238

What would the following metamagic combinations due for a Caster Level 8 Fireball (8d6 Fire, 20' radius)? I'm aware some of them are Epic-level metamagic combinations / impossible without rods.

a) Maximized Energy Admixture (Acid) - Core & Complete Arcane
Does this do 48 Fire Damage and 8d6 Acid Damage?
b) Empowered Energy Admixture (Acid) - Core & Complete Arcane
Does this do 12d6 Fire Damage and 8d6 Acid?
c) Empowerd Enervate - Core & Complete Arcane
Does this do 16d6 to Living and 0 to undead, or 12d6 fire damage + 4d6 (living only) damage?
d) Maximized Twin - Core & Complete Arcane
Does this 48 for the first casting & 8d6 on the second, or 48 for both?
e) Maximized Repeat
As d)?
f) Empowered Maximized Repeat - Core, Core, Complete Arcane
Does it do 48 + 4d6 on the first round, and 8d6 in the second?

Generally I'm curious if any of the effects "carry over" into the second casting with Repeat or Twin, and if effects like Empower / Enervate effect one another, or if they add to base damage only, and not extra metamagic damage such as from Energy Admixture.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-05, 07:44 AM
A. 238

Q238

What would the following metamagic combinations due for a Caster Level 8 Fireball (8d6 Fire, 20' radius)? I'm aware some of them are Epic-level metamagic combinations / impossible without rods.

Certain prestige classes and feats can also reduce the required spell level of a metamagic'ed spell.

a) Maximized Energy Admixture (Acid) - Core & Complete Arcane
Does this do 48 Fire Damage and 8d6 Acid Damage?

No, you actually get 48 Fire and 48 Acid damage. The Acid part is also maximized.

b) Empowered Energy Admixture (Acid) - Core & Complete Arcane
Does this do 12d6 Fire Damage and 8d6 Acid?

No, you get (8d6 x 1.5) Fire and (8d6 x 1.5) Acid damage.

c) Empowerd Enervate - Core & Complete Arcane
Does this do 16d6 to Living and 0 to undead, or 12d6 fire damage + 4d6 (living only) damage?

Enervate Spell is from Libris Mortis. I assume that is what you meant.

It does (8d6 x 2) damage to living and 8d6 damage to non-living?

d) Maximized Twin - Core & Complete Arcane
Does this 48 for the first casting & 8d6 on the second, or 48 for both?

48 damage on both.

e) Maximized Repeat
As d)?

48 damage on both.

f) Empowered Maximized Repeat - Core, Core, Complete Arcane
Does it do 48 + 4d6 on the first round, and 8d6 in the second?

48 + (8d6*0.5) damage on both.

EDIT:

...I must say, your terms and conditions are highly dubious reasonable, ohh great Tyrant.

Yes, indeed.

Disclaimer: The above quote may have been changed to reflect the true meaning of the words and the the subjects genuine feelings.

squishycube
2007-10-05, 09:44 AM
Q239
Is this true?

I'm pretty sure that regardless of how many actions you have, you can still only cast one spell (and one quickened spell) per round, max.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-05, 10:02 AM
A 239

No. There is nothing inherent in spellcasting that prevents you from doing it more than once or twice per round as long as you have enough actions.

XiaoTie
2007-10-05, 10:18 AM
Q. 240

What is the appropriate amount of EXP awarded to a group of 5 level 1 characters (Barbarian, Swashbuckler, Rogue, Ranger and Monk) that successfully beat the following encounters:

-Encounter 1:
Level 1 NPC Warrior (CR 1/2)*

-Encounter 2:
Monstrous Centipede, Large (CR 1)*
Monstrous Centipede, Medium (CR 1/2)*

-Encounter 3:
Level 2 NPC Warrior (CR 1)*

?

*If being faced by a group of 4.

Douglas
2007-10-05, 10:24 AM
A240
That's 4 CR 1/2 monsters and 2 CR 1s. Count the CR 1/2 monsters as half their number of CR 1s. That gives a total of 4 CR 1 monsters. By the table on page 38 of the DMG, each CR 1 monster gives 300 xp to level 1 characters. There were four of them, so 1200 xp total divided evenly among the five party members is 240 xp each.

Or you could just use this online calculator (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20encountercalculator.htm).

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-05, 10:26 AM
A 240
To find out the XP award, use "Table 2-6: Experience Point Awards (Single Monster" on page 38 of the Dungeon Master's Guide to cross-reference each individual monster with the charcter's level. Creatures with CR 1/2 award half the XP of a creature with CR 1. Add the total from each monster together and divide the result evenly among all the PCs. In this case, each PC gets 1/5 a share.

Note that if any characters should be different levels, they get a share based on their level.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-05, 11:10 AM
Q241 Say I'm a Crusader/War Mind, and I have an IL high enough (and access to new maneuvers late enough) to have the Castigating Strike maneuver. If I couple the War Mind's Sweeping Strike ability with a use of Castigating Strike, I deal two foes in adjacent squares the effects of the strike. But how does the radius effect from the maneuver work? Do I emit two radii, affecting those within the area twice? Or do the areas of the radii merely overlap with each other, simply affecting a larger effective area?

If the former answer is correct, then does the penalty to attack rolls from Castigating Strike stack, or is it another case of "same effect, same source"?

Laurellien
2007-10-05, 11:12 AM
Nope, you could cast a swift spell, or use celerity, or timestop, or twinned spells, or spell chains/webs, or any of a myriad of other ways.

Randal Flagg
2007-10-05, 02:37 PM
Q242

Can a psion using metamorphsis transforming himself to an object then benefit from a "repair light damage" spell?????????

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-05, 02:49 PM
Q242

Can a psion using metamorphsis transforming himself to an object then benefit from a "repair light damage" spell?????????

A. 242

No, Repair Light Damage works on constructs, not objects.

Curmudgeon
2007-10-05, 02:54 PM
A 242 No.

Your form becomes that of an inanimate object, not a "damaged" version of a construct, which is the only valid target for Repair Light Damage.
Metamorphosis

You can also use this power to assume the form of an inanimate object. You gain the object’s hardness and retain your own hit points.

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-05, 02:55 PM
Q 243

Does an enhancement bonus on armor or a shield improve your touch AC?

Q 244

Is there any way to use the flurry of blows class feature with a reach weapon such as long spear or guissarme?

Jasdoif
2007-10-05, 02:57 PM
A243

No. The enhancement bonus applies to the armor's armor bonus to AC or the shield's shield bonus to AC; neither of which contribute to your touch AC.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-05, 02:58 PM
A243 No. Only Deflection, Dodge, and Size bonuses apply to Touch AC.

A244 There's the Unorthodox Flurry (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Unorthodox_Flurry,DC1) feat from the DMC.

EDIT: What, no love for Q241?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-05, 03:03 PM
A. 241

Two bursts occur and foes in both areas are forced to make two saves. They take damage from both effects, but should they fail both saves the penalty will overlap (not stack).

Fax Celestis
2007-10-05, 03:06 PM
A241Cont Just to be clear: the two targets take the maneuver's striking damage once and the radiating damage once each, both having to make two saves. All others in the overlapping radii take twice radiating damage and suffer the Will save twice (but only will take the penalty once even if they fail the save twice). Those within the bounds of one radius but not the other take radiating damage once and only suffer one Will save. Correct?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-05, 03:08 PM
Re: A 243

A243 No. Only Deflection, Dodge, and Size bonuses apply to Touch AC.
Actually, everything except for Armor, Shield, and Natural Armor bonuses apply to Touch AC. Those are the only exceptions listed in the definition of Touch Attack. (See "Armor Class" under "Combat" in the SRD and the PHB Glossary).

But what Jasodif says is correct. No enhancement bonus in the existing rules applies to your AC directly. It always enhances an existing bonus—usually an Armor or Natural Armor bonus. As such, enhancement bonuses on armor and shield don't give you extra bonus to your AC. They only increase the size of existing bonuses.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-05, 03:09 PM
A. 241 Continued

Correct.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-05, 03:12 PM
Re: A 243

Actually, everything except for Armor and Natural Armor bonuses apply to Touch AC.

What about shields? :smalltongue:

Has been edited. :smallamused:

MartinHarper
2007-10-05, 04:19 PM
Q244

If a Bard has skill points in perform (phantasmal message) and the spell Dream, can she use bardic music abilities, such as Suggestion or Song of Freedom, through a casting of Dream?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-05, 04:33 PM
A. 244

No, you cannot cast spells through Dream and there is no line of effect. (Unless they are sleeping next to you, which probably would make this a waste of a spell).

Fax Celestis
2007-10-05, 05:27 PM
Q245 What happens if I have a Rogue 5/Assassin 10/Uncanny Trickster 3 who selects to stack his Uncanny Trickster levels with Assassin levels?
Does he gain new spell slots?
Does his Death Attack improve?
Do repeating features (such as Sneak Attack dice) improve despite not actually being listen on the table?
Does progression switch to the Epic Assassin progression--as you are technically an 11th level Assassin, impossible without Epic levels?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-05, 05:55 PM
A. 245

The Uncanny Trickster's description states that you gain an increase in effective level as if you had also gained a level a class you previously belonged to.

For the Assassin the only 11th level would indeed be in the epic progression, so if any progression is to be allowed that would be it.

Epic levels cannot normally be taken before character level 21.

A ten-level prestige class can progress beyond 10th level, but only if the character level is already 20th or higher.

But in this case you are not actually taking a level in Epic assassin you are just treated as if your effective level in that class is higher, so it seems natural to follow the Epic progression in this case.

To summarize the benefits for the 2 Uncanny Trickster levels added to Assassin:

+1d6 Sneak Attack
+1 save against poison
+2 Caster Level
+1 DC on Death Attack

No new spells are gained and no Uncanny Dodge bonus on saves against traps.

dyslexicfaser
2007-10-06, 05:20 AM
Q246
When using a feat like Intuitive Attack or Weapon Finesse to switch str for dex or wis on attack rolls, are damage rolls still calculated with BAB + Str mod?

Jasdoif
2007-10-06, 05:30 AM
A246

Neither Weapon Finesse nor Intuitive Attack modify your damage rolls. Thus your damage rolls are determined as normal, which generally adds your Strength modifier to damage (unless using a weapon two-handed, in which case it's one-and-a-half times your Strength bonus; or using a weapon in the off hand, in which case it's half your Strength bonus).

(Note that BAB has no effect on damage rolls in and of itself.)

Dhavaer
2007-10-06, 07:35 AM
Q247

How much do arrows of special materials cost? Is the +2gp modifier for silver arrows for a quiver of 20, or a single arrow?

Anxe
2007-10-06, 09:19 AM
A247

It's for a single arrow. Sucks doesn't it?

Q248

What is a Beholder with the Multiheaded template look like and function?

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-10-06, 09:27 AM
Q249
The Extend Spell metamagic feat increases the duration of a spell that isn't listed as "permanent", "instananeous" or "concentration". What then is the duiratuion of Extended True Strike?

Asmodeus
2007-10-06, 01:11 PM
Q248

What is a Beholder with the Multiheaded template look like and function?

I don't see the Multiheaded template anywhere. Can you give its source?
I would assume, without actually reading the template, that the Beholder does not qualify for such a template, because of body-type restrictions.

Q249
The Extend Spell metamagic feat increases the duration of a spell that isn't listed as "permanent", "instananeous" or "concentration". What then is the duiratuion of Extended True Strike?

A 249

The RAW is not explicit about how Extend Spell handles different durations than the norm. The easiest assumption would be that True Strike does not qualify for the Extend Spell metamagic feat.

If you want to house-rule in that it does, a logical extrapolation would be that the spell lasts for the next two standard attacks. That sounds a little fishy to me though.

I'm reminded of a friend who wanted to create a Ring of True Strike, that was always active.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-10-06, 01:17 PM
A 249

The RAW is not explicit about how Extend Spell handles different durations than the norm. The easiest assumption would be that True Strike does not qualify for the Extend Spell metamagic feat.

If you want to house-rule in that it does, a logical extrapolation would be that the spell lasts for the next two standard attacks. That sounds a little fishy to me though.

I'm reminded of a friend who wanted to create a Ring of True Strike, that was always active.
Discussion 249
If it were to affect two attacks, that'd need a new -probably unbalanced- feat, like "Double Spell", or something.
Would it be more reasonable to have the True Strike spell last for two rounds, but still only affect one attack?

UserClone
2007-10-06, 01:17 PM
248-A: It's in Savage Species.

Q250: Would I be correct in telling a Druid that he could in no way use a greatclub or longstaff as the focus for a shillelagh, or indeed anything other than a club or quarterstaff?

UserClone
2007-10-06, 01:19 PM
Discussion 249 cont'd
I would have answered thusly in the first place: Extended True Strike lasts for 2 rounds, or until you make your next attack, instead of 1 round (or until you make your next attack.

BTW, it's called Twin Spell.

Jasdoif
2007-10-06, 01:25 PM
A249

An entry in the FAQ suggests that true strike could not be extended.
The vigor series of spells (found in Complete Divine) raise an interesting question. Does the built-in maximum duration of each spell limitation override the effect of the Extend Spell feat?

Yes. Extend Spell still increases the spell’s duration, but only up to the spell’s listed maximum duration. Use either the normal maximum duration or the doubled duration, whichever is less. If a 7th-level druid used Extend Spell on her vigor spell, the duration could not increase beyond 25 rounds.Since true strike's duration is fixed (effectively "until the end of your next turn, or until discharged"), this suggests it could not be extended, as doing so would require increasing the spell beyond its maximum duration.

If you don't agree with that (and I can't really blame you if you do), I believe extending true strike would result in the spell effect lasting until two rounds after you cast the spell, unless you discharge its effect before then.

Asmodeus
2007-10-06, 01:29 PM
A249

An entry in the FAQ suggests that true strike could not be extended.Since true strike's duration is fixed (effectively "until the end of your next turn, or until discharged"), this suggests it could not be extended, as doing so would require increasing the spell beyond its maximum duration.

If you don't agree with that (and I can't really blame you if you do), I believe extending true strike would result in the spell effect lasting until two rounds after you cast the spell, unless you discharge its effect before then.

That sounds much more reasonable. I missed the part of description that said the attack had to be made within the next round. I retract my previous suggestion.

Jasdoif
2007-10-06, 01:31 PM
A250

RAW, this would be correct. If you're the DM in question here, you are of course free to allow it to affect similar weapons.

UserClone
2007-10-06, 01:35 PM
Right, yes, but I know rule 0. I was just checking RAW, so I thought I'd pick your collective brains. Eeeww...sounds like a zombie's buffet, picking brains. Meh. Thanks, though.

dyslexicfaser
2007-10-06, 02:46 PM
Q251
Are a monk's unarmed attacks considered one natural weapon for the purposes of spells like magic fang or amulet of natural weapons?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-06, 03:16 PM
A. 251

Yes, no distinction is made in the description.

Some other spells, effects and items force you to choose a specific part, e.g. fists, but not these.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-06, 03:28 PM
A. 248

I don't see the Multiheaded template anywhere. Can you give its source?
I would assume, without actually reading the template, that the Beholder does not qualify for such a template, because of body-type restrictions.

Your assumption is correct. The Multiheaded template requires a "discernible head".

martyboy74
2007-10-06, 04:42 PM
Q252 Is Divine Metamagic a metamagic feat in and of itself?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-06, 05:35 PM
A. 252

No, it is a Divine feat.

Karma Guard
2007-10-06, 08:25 PM
Q 253

Do you have to take the Wild Talent feat to take a psionic class if your race is not inherently Psionic? I'm thinking yes, but I'm unsure.

Edit: What if you're (for example) an elf and you want to start as a Psion. Do you have to blow your 1st level feat?

(Simple question, but this is the simple Q&A thread)

Jasdoif
2007-10-06, 10:09 PM
A253

No. Taking a level in a psionic class does not require you to already be a psionic character.

The Wild Talent feat allows you to become a psionic character, and qualify for psionic feats and the like, without having to be a psionic race or take a level in a psionic class.

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-07, 10:45 AM
Q254

Can you score a critical hit with a ray (ranged touch)? If, for example, it was energy ray, at caster level 11 (11d6+11) and you scored a critical, what would you roll for damage?

Douglas
2007-10-07, 10:59 AM
A254
If it requires an attack roll and deals damage, ability damage, or energy drain, then yes it can score a crit. In your specific example, you would roll 22d6+22 damage.

Spells that cause a condition or penalty rather than dealing damage, such as Ray of Exhaustion or Ray of Enfeeblement, do not qualify, however. These spells receive no benefit from a 20 on the attack roll beyond being guaranteed to hit.

Gralamin
2007-10-07, 11:28 AM
Q255

Would a medium size creature effected by Enlarge Person (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsDtoE.html#enlarge-person) gain the bonuses from increasing from medium to Large outlined in the Improving Monsters (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/improvingMonsters.html) section of the Monster manual? (In brief: +8 Str, -2 Dex, +4 con, +2 NA)

Chronos
2007-10-07, 11:53 AM
A255: No, because the spell explicitly states what the subject gains: +2 strength, -2 dex, -1 AC and AR, improved reach, and larger weapons. If the spell meant +8 strength instead of +2, it would say so.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-07, 04:23 PM
A 255 Expansion

The size increases bonuses listed in that section are only meant to be used in situations where a creature increased in size through advancement by racial hit dice. It does not apply to any other type of size increase.

Tack122
2007-10-07, 04:51 PM
Q226 - oops, should have been 256
Can a druid use studded leather armor and retain all of it's class abilities?

Thomix
2007-10-07, 07:27 PM
A 256

Druids are proficient with light and medium armor but are prohibited from wearing metal armor; thus, they may wear only padded, leather, or hide armor. (A druid may also wear wooden armor that has been altered by the ironwood spell so that it functions as though it were steel. See the ironwood spell description).

Only padded, leather or hide, as said in the player handbook

Q 257

In the PHB, there's the DC for crafting Bow, composite Bow and composite bow with str bonus, but where is the DC ans skill for craft arrow??

Citizen Joe
2007-10-07, 08:54 PM
A227

Very simple item (wooden spoon) 5
Typical item (iron pot) 10
High-quality item (bell) 15
Complex or superior item (lock) 20

I would call an arrow a typical item.

Tack122
2007-10-07, 10:49 PM
A 226

Only padded, leather or hide, as said in the player handbook

Q228 But does the restriction on the armors affect studded leather. It is leather but it also has studs...

Thomix
2007-10-07, 11:37 PM
A 258

In the description of Studded Leather, it's said that it's a leather armor, reinforced with metal rivet.

de-trick
2007-10-07, 11:46 PM
A289 Can you critical miss on a ray attack?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-08, 12:07 AM
A. 259 (NOT 289)

Yes, it applies to all attack rolls.

Automatic Misses and Hits: A natural 1 (the d20 comes up 1) on an attack roll is always a miss.

Jasdoif
2007-10-08, 12:39 AM
...OK, the recent "226" should've been 256. The ones between then and now should similarly be in the 250s.

A254 comment

It may be worth noting that, unlike bonus damage from things like sneak attack, a crit from a spell that does ability damage or energy drain actually doubles the amount of ability damage or negative levels. (Sneak attack's bonus damage is negative energy damage with such spells.)

Alveanerle
2007-10-08, 07:15 AM
Q. 260
Wild thing

If a druid wild shapes into an ape form, will his weapon/armor/amulet/ring stay worn, and will he still benefit from them?

Alveanerle
2007-10-08, 07:18 AM
Q. 261
Can a character be wearing a shield, and hold a rod in the same hand? If so, can he use the rod for spellcasting?
As i understand it is possible even with large shields, but he just wont benefit from the shield AC until the beggining of the next round.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-08, 07:26 AM
A. 260

Not if you are using the latest errata.

Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the new
form and becomes nonfunctional. When the druid reverts
to her true form, any objects previously melded into the
new form reappear in the same location on her body that
they previously occupied and are once again functional.
Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and
land at the druid's feet.

If you are using the pre-errata version any gear that the new form can wear or hold remains worn, the rest melds into the new shape.

When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When you revert to your true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on your body they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items you wore in the assumed form and can’t wear in your normal form fall off and land at your feet; any that you could wear in either form or carry in a body part common to both forms at the time of reversion are still held in the same way. Any part of the body or piece of equipment that is separated from the whole reverts to its true form.

Alveanerle
2007-10-08, 07:28 AM
Q. 262
Would freedom of movement work against magicaly created winds so strong as to impede normal movement?

What about the travel domain FoM-vs-magic power?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-08, 07:29 AM
A. 261

You cannot use the hand that is holding a heavy shield for anything else.

Shield, Heavy, Wooden or Steel: You strap a shield to your forearm and grip it with your hand. A heavy shield is so heavy that you can’t use your shield hand for anything else.

The light shield does not have the same restrictions as long as you are not using the Rod as a weapon (Some Rods double as weapons).

Shield, Light, Wooden or Steel: You strap a shield to your forearm and grip it with your hand. A light shield’s weight lets you carry other items in that hand, although you cannot use weapons with it.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-08, 07:33 AM
A 261

A character can hold an object in the same hand as a shield if that shield is a buckler or a light shield. One cannot hold an object in the same hand that carries a heavy shield, however.

Whether or not a character can use a rod held in the shield hand depends in part upon how the rod is activated. Since you ask about using the rod to cast a spell, I assume you refer to an item such as a metamagic rod, which only requires the user be "wielding" the rod as he or she casts the spell. In this case, that just means you have to be holding onto the rod, so there should be no problem using the rod to modify a spell. There is no reason to believe doing so would interfere with your ability to apply the shield's bonus to your AC, either.

Sources:
SRD:Equipment:Armor:Buckler (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/armor.html#buckler)
SRD:Equipment:Armor:Shield, Heavy Wooden or Steel (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/armor.html#shield-heavy-wooden-or-steel)
SRD:Equipment:Armor:Shield, Light Wooden or Steel (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/armor.html#shield-light-wooden-or-steel)
SRD:Magic Items:Potions, Rings, & Rods:Rods:Metamagic Rods (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItemsPRR.html#metamagic-rods)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-08, 07:35 AM
A. 262

Yes, but you are of course still subject to other effects of the wind such as falling/flying debris that might harm you.

Alleine
2007-10-08, 05:59 PM
Q 263

Does the Warshapers Morphic Weapon ability stack with improved natural attack when both are applied to an already existing natural weapon?

Fax Celestis
2007-10-08, 06:05 PM
A263 Yes. Morphic Weaponry increases your effective size category by one. Improved Natural Attack merely increases the dice--which, while ordinarily based off of size, is not an effective size increase. A Medium creature with two claws, Morphic Weaponry, and Improved Natural Attack (Claw) would deal damage as if a Large creature with a die increase--effectively a Huge creature.

Alleine
2007-10-08, 06:15 PM
Q 264

Does wildshape give you the use of whatever feats that creature has?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-08, 06:21 PM
A. 264

No, except for feats that grant extraordinary special attacks.

- The creature gains the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form.

- Except as described elsewhere, the creature retains all other game statistics of its original form, including (but not necessarily limited to) HD, hit points, skill ranks, feats, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-08, 06:25 PM
A264 No. The Alternate Form ability--which Wild Shape is based off of--only grants you their physical statistics and special attacks. See also: Monster Manual 305, or the Alternate Form ability in the SRD.

A creature with this special quality has the ability to assume one or more specific alternate forms. A true seeing spell or ability reveals the creature’s natural form. A creature using alternate form reverts to its natural form when killed, but separated body parts retain their shape. A creature cannot use alternate form to take the form of a creature with a template. Assuming an alternate form results in the following changes to the creature:

* The creature retains the type and subtype of its original form. It gains the size of its new form. If the new form has the aquatic subtype, the creature gains that subtype as well.
* The creature loses the natural weapons, natural armor, and movement modes of its original form, as well as any extraordinary special attacks of its original form not derived from class levels (such as the barbarian’s rage class feature).
* The creature gains the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form.
* The creature retains the special qualities of its original form. It does not gain any special qualities of its new form.
* The creature retains the spell-like abilities and supernatural attacks of its old form (except for breath weapons and gaze attacks). It does not gain the spell-like abilities or attacks of its new form.Apply any changed physical ability score modifiers in all appropriate areas with one exception: the creature retains the hit points of its original form despite any change to its Constitution.
* The creature gains the physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con) of its new form. It retains the mental ability scores (Int, Wis, Cha) of its original form.
* The creature retains its hit points and save bonuses, although its save modifiers may change due to a change in ability scores.
* Except as described elsewhere, the creature retains all other game statistics of its original form, including (but not necessarily limited to) HD, hit points, skill ranks, feats, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses.
* The creature retains any spellcasting ability it had in its original form, although it must be able to speak intelligibly to cast spells with verbal components and it must have humanlike hands to cast spells with somatic components.
* The creature is effectively camouflaged as a creature of its new form, and it gains a +10 bonus on Disguise checks if it uses this ability to create a disguise.
* Any gear worn or carried by the creature that can’t be worn or carried in its new form instead falls to the ground in its space. If the creature changes size, any gear it wears or carries that can be worn or carried in its new form changes size to match the new size. (Nonhumanoid-shaped creatures can’t wear armor designed for humanoid-shaped creatures, and vice versa.) Gear returns to normal size if dropped.

Tack122
2007-10-08, 08:33 PM
Q265
Is a skill item that grants a bonus to UMD checks cheesy? How about if it is used in combat?
Q266
Are there any sorts of things like a belt that could hold a few wands and let me switch them out easily from round to round?

Jasdoif
2007-10-08, 08:36 PM
A265

This is not a RAW question. It is entirely subjective, and thus I believe it would be best for you to start a thread to discuss the matter.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-08, 08:37 PM
A266 Try the Wand Bracer from Dungeonscape.

martyboy74
2007-10-08, 08:53 PM
Q267 If you were under the effect of Veil of Undeath (SpC 229), and Vigor, Lesser (SpC 229), would you gain one hit point per round, or lose one hit point per round?

Also, does Veil of Undeath really grant you immunity to death, or is that supposed to be death effects?

Gralamin
2007-10-08, 08:53 PM
Edit: Martyboy's is 267

Q268

Can one identify a Domain Granted Power using Spellcraft?

Jasdoif
2007-10-08, 09:09 PM
Edit: Martyboy's is 227

Q228

Can one identify a Domain Granted Power using Spellcraft?Martyboy's is 267, yours is 268.

A267 probably

While I don't have the Spell Compendium, I do have Libris Mortis (which has Veil of Undeath) and Complete Divine (which has Lesser Vigor).

Based on those, the lesser vigor effect would cease. Veil of Undeath makes your Constitution a nonability, which means you aren't considered a living creature, which means you aren't a valid target for the lesser vigor spell. (If it weren't for the Constitution deal, you would continue gaining hit points. Lesser vigor grants fast healing, and fast healing works normally for undead creatures.)

And given the context, I'm quite certain it means you are immune to death effects, and not death in general.

Gralamin
2007-10-08, 09:37 PM
Martyboy's is 267, yours is 268.

A267 probably

While I don't have the Spell Compendium, I do have Libris Mortis (which has Veil of Undeath) and Complete Divine (which has Lesser Vigor).

Based on those, the lesser vigor effect would cease. Veil of Undeath makes your Constitution a nonability, which means you aren't considered a living creature, which means you aren't a valid target for the lesser vigor spell. (If it weren't for the Constitution deal, you would continue gaining hit points. Lesser vigor grants fast healing, and fast healing works normally for undead creatures.)

And given the context, I'm quite certain it means you are immune to death effects, and not death in general.

oops. Fixing

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-09, 12:49 AM
Q269

Does concealment from multiple sources (such as a concealing amophora and an entropic shield) stack? If so, how? Currently, I roll each 20% miss chance separately, but it strikes me that this may be ass backwards.

Jasdoif
2007-10-09, 01:04 AM
A269

It's explicitly stated that multiple concealment conditions do not stack.

In the case of your example, however, entropic shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/entropicShield.htm) does not actually grant concealment. It grants a 20% miss chance. I'm not aware of any rule about miss chances not stacking, so I do believe you would need to roll each miss chance separately in this case.

martyboy74
2007-10-09, 06:43 AM
Q 267 cont. The SpC version of Veil of Undeath doesn't remove your con score. Does that mean that I would get the fast healing?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-09, 06:55 AM
A 268
No. There is no provision under spellcraft for identifying such an ability.

Knowledge (religion) should definitely work for this purpose, however.

Jasdoif
2007-10-09, 10:32 AM
Q 267 cont. The SpC version of Veil of Undeath doesn't remove your con score. Does that mean that I would get the fast healing?I do believe so, yes. Fast healing isn't a positive energy effect, and vampires have fast healing naturally; so there's no reason to think you would be harmed by it. And if the SpC version of veil of undeath doesn't remove your Con score, you remain a living creature and are thus still a valid target for the lesser vigor spell.

cupkeyk
2007-10-09, 12:22 PM
Q 268

What qualifies as a (insert ability here) check?

Is a ranged attack roll a dexterity check? Is initiative? Is the contested roll against being tripped? A reflex save?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-09, 12:40 PM
Q 268

What qualifies as a (insert ability here) check?

Is a ranged attack roll a dexterity check? Is initiative? Is the contested roll against being tripped? A reflex save?

A. 270 (NOT 268)

Attack rolls are not ability checks and neither are saves or grapple checks.

Checks that are usually mention it in their description like Initiative and Opposed Trip checks.

ABILITY CHECKS

Sometimes a character tries to do something to which no specific skill really applies. In these cases, you make an ability check. An ability check is a roll of 1d20 plus the appropriate ability modifier. Essentially, you’re making an untrained skill check.

In some cases, an action is a straight test of one’s ability with no luck involved. Just as you wouldn’t make a height check to see who is taller, you don’t make a Strength check to see who is stronger.

If your attack succeeds, make a Strength check opposed by the defender’s Dexterity or Strength check

An initiative check is a Dexterity check.

Zen Master
2007-10-09, 12:47 PM
Q. 271

Druids and feats. Can a druid take the various monster feats like improved natural weapons, hover and so on?

Is Natural Spell overpowered?

Should my (evil) DM respect the fact that my druid doesn't take any cheesy prc's, thus not getting access to silly and overpowered forms?

(feel free to ignore my last two, rather silly questions - said DM reads the boards too)

Jasdoif
2007-10-09, 12:53 PM
A271

A druid can take the various monster feats, however a druid can only benefit from them when they meet the prerequisites.

Your other two questions are not RAW questions. They are entirely subjective, and as such I suggest you start threads for discussing them.

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-09, 01:30 PM
Q272

Is there a feat that lets you treat an unarmed strike as a two handed weapon? This is highly necessary for my sumo wrestler's banzai splash.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-09, 01:36 PM
A. 272

No, not to my knowledge.

cupkeyk
2007-10-09, 02:02 PM
Q272

Is there a feat that lets you treat an unarmed strike as a two handed weapon? This is highly necessary for my sumo wrestler's banzai splash.

The best that fits that bill is Hammerfist from Races of Faerun that adds 1.5 your strength modifier to unarmed strike damage but you may not use the flurry of blows feature

Fax Celestis
2007-10-09, 02:34 PM
Q273a Do spells and powers with "radius" effects create circles of effect or spheres?
Q273b If the answer to Q273a is "spheres", does the legion of sentinels spell create sentinels within that vertical radius--and if so, does one provoke an AoO for passing under a sentinel?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-09, 02:55 PM
A. 273 a

There are four possible shapes unless otherwise specified in the spell description:
Cone, Cylinder, Line, or Sphere.

If no height is given, but the spell has a radius, the shape is that of a sphere. (Again, of course, assuming the description does not state something extraordinary)

A. 273 b

Yes, it would appear so.

Citizen Joe
2007-10-09, 03:19 PM
A273a

Radius based effects start at the corner of a square and go out according to the burst patterns listed in DND. You would have to read the individual spell to determine how it expands either upwards to a specific height (like clouds) or in a spherical pattern like a fireball.

A273b

You'd have to review the rules regarding moving through occupied objects and attacks of opportunity to figure that part out.

RMS Oceanic
2007-10-09, 06:28 PM
Q 274a

A Gray Guard (Complete Scoundrel) Has the Serenity feat (Add Wisdom Modifier to Spells/Smite Evil/Divine Grace/Lay On Hands instead of Charisma). How does a Gray Guard determine the save DC of his various lay on hands effects? Is it still 10 + Class Level + Cha, or would it be Wis now?

Q 274b

In the same respect, does the Champion of Corellon Larethian's (Races of the Wild) Lay-on-hands-in-all-but-name change to be affected by Wisdom if he has Serenity?

Fax Celestis
2007-10-09, 06:34 PM
A274 In both cases, as per RAW no, as the Serenity feat only applies to Paladin abilities. However, it would be a reasonable houserule to expand its use to other classes with similar abilities (up to and including the Dragon Shaman, the Gray Guard, and the Champion of Corellan Larethian).

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-09, 09:11 PM
Q275

OK. You can wield a one handed weapon in two hands to get 1.5X your STR and X2 on a power attack. So can you "wield" an unarmed strike two handed to get the same bonus, sort of like a double-handed smash?

Gralamin
2007-10-09, 09:21 PM
Q275

OK. You can wield a one handed weapon in two hands to get 1.5X your STR and X2 on a power attack. So can you "wield" an unarmed strike two handed to get the same bonus, sort of like a double-handed smash?

A 275

No. An Unarmed strike is a light weapon.

An unarmed strike is always considered a light weapon. Therefore, you can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with an unarmed strike.

Light Weapons can not gain 1.5x your strength.

Light

A light weapon is easier to use in one’s off hand than a one-handed weapon is, and it can be used while grappling. A light weapon is used in one hand. Add the wielder’s Strength bonus (if any) to damage rolls for melee attacks with a light weapon if it’s used in the primary hand, or one-half the wielder’s Strength bonus if it’s used in the off hand. Using two hands to wield a light weapon gives no advantage on damage; the Strength bonus applies as though the weapon were held in the wielder’s primary hand only.

An unarmed strike is always considered a light weapon.

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-10, 12:19 AM
Q276

If you have a natural bite attack, and no other natural attacks, is that attack treated as a 2-handed weapon for the purpose of power attack?

Dr. Weasel
2007-10-10, 12:30 AM
Q277

Before casting, do Summon Monster spells technically have all their potential sub-types?

To put the question into context, could Summon Monster IV be used to fuel the Storm Bolt Reserve Feat?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-10, 01:43 AM
A. 276

No, even though you get 1.5 x STR bonus to damage the return on Power Attack is still only 1:1.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-10, 02:13 AM
A. 277

The individual Summon Monster spells potentially has all the subtypes of the creatures that appear on the list of summonable (abominable "word") creatures, but if some of the types are not on the list for that level or lower, it would not have those subtypes.
Likewise, if you are unable to summon some of the creatures on the list for whatever reason those should not be considered when determining potential types.

The Summon Monster range of spell can get the following descriptors:

When you use a summoning spell to summon an air, chaotic, earth, evil, fire, good, lawful, or water creature, it is a spell of that type.

As long as you have a prepared spell or slot that could be cast as an [electricity] spell you can use your Storm Bolt reserve feat.

Since electricity is not on the list of subtypes Summon Monster inherits it would not qualify, strictly speaking.

However, if we were talking about a reserve feat that needed, say a fire descriptor, Summon Monster could be used to qualify for the benefits of the feat.

Jasdoif
2007-10-10, 04:23 AM
However, if we were talking about a reserve feat that needed, say a fire descriptor, Summon Monster could be used to qualify for the benefits of the feat.

I disagree.
When you use a summoning spell to summon an air, chaotic, earth, evil, fire, good, lawful, or water creature, it is a spell of that type.Given this, I believe that the varying descriptor is only added when the spell is actually cast. It does not have any of those descriptors inherently, so it does not qualify for reserve feats needing those descriptors.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-10, 05:05 AM
A. 277 Comment

I disagree.Given this, I believe that the varying descriptor is only added when the spell is actually cast. It does not have any of those descriptors inherently, so it does not qualify for reserve feats needing those descriptors.

I did consider that and it is certainly a valid argument (and I should have accounted for it in my previous post), but excluding it would be a much to strict requirement IMHO considering that you only need to have a spell with the right descriptor available to cast. I don't see much of a difference between having a potential Fireball spell and a potential Summon Fire Elemental spell.
If the requirement for spontaneous caster had not been so loose I would have agreed, but I just feel it is more consistent treat SM as all the possible descriptors available to the caster.

Myatar_Panwar
2007-10-10, 09:01 AM
Q 278
If I am TWF, and I have the Haste spell on me, would I get essentially 2 extra attacks per round? (one with each weapon).

Q 279
Lets say Im using rapid shot with TWF, would the extra attacked gained essentially be 2 attacks (again, 1 with each weapon)?

TheElfLord
2007-10-10, 09:16 AM
Q. 280 Do the bonus hit dice an animal companion gains from a high druid level cause it to increase in size?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-10, 09:20 AM
A. 278

No, you get one extra attack. It can be made with either weapon.

A. 279

No, you only get one extra attack.

You can get one extra attack per round with a ranged weapon.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-10, 09:21 AM
A. 280

No, you only derive the benefits of bonus HD mentioned in the Animal Companion entry.

cupkeyk
2007-10-10, 12:03 PM
Q 281

What would the bonus that a Marshal5/ Uncanny Trickster 3/ Mythic Exemplar 10 's major aura give if he decides to boost his Major Aura Class feature at every opportunity? Is it fine if I asked for a numeric breakdown?

Q 282

What classes other than Legacy Champion would boost a marshal's existing auras?

TheElfLord
2007-10-10, 03:28 PM
Q. 283

From what I can find, while energy drain gives tempory hit points to the draining creature, a negative level does not cause a character to lose any hit points. Is this correct?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-10, 03:33 PM
A. 281

{table=head]
Level|
Major Aura bonus

Marshal 2
|
+1

Marshal 5 / Uncanny Trickster 3
|
+2

Marshal 5 / Uncanny Trickster 3 / Mythic Exemplar 3
|
+2 (Treated as Marshall 8)

Marshal 5 / Uncanny Trickster 3 / Mythic Exemplar 5
|
+2 (Treated as Marshall 9)

Marshal 5 / Uncanny Trickster 3 / Mythic Exemplar 7
|
+2 (Treated as Marshall 10)

Marshal 5 / Uncanny Trickster 3 / Mythic Exemplar 9
|
+2 (Treated as Marshall 11)

[/table]

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-10, 03:34 PM
A. 283

A negative level results in a loss of 5 HP.

A creature takes the following penalties for each negative level it has gained.

–1 on all skill checks and ability checks.

–1 on attack rolls and saving throws.

–5 hit points.

–1 effective level (whenever the creature’s level is used in a die roll or calculation, reduce it by one for each negative level).

Read the full entry on Energy drain and Negative Levels for further consequences of level loss.

cupkeyk
2007-10-10, 03:37 PM
Q. 283

From what I can find, while energy drain gives tempory hit points to the draining creature, a negative level does not cause a character to lose any hit points. Is this correct?

Technically you lose your hit die type multiplied by the number of levels you lose. It is not injury but it can kill you.

cupkeyk
2007-10-10, 03:40 PM
A. 281

{table=head]
Level|
Major Aura bonus

Marshal 2
|
+1

Marshal 5 / Uncanny Trickster 3
|
+2

Marshal 5 / Uncanny Trickster 3 / Mythic Exemplar 3
|
+3

Marshal 5 / Uncanny Trickster 3 / Mythic Exemplar 5
|
+4

Marshal 5 / Uncanny Trickster 3 / Mythic Exemplar 7
|
+5

Marshal 5 / Uncanny Trickster 3 / Mythic Exemplar 9
|
+6

[/table]

q281.5
So the bonuses are not limited by the fact that Maor Aura bonuses do not exceed +5 before going epic?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-10, 03:43 PM
Technically you lose your hit die type multiplied by the number of levels you lose. It is not injury but it can kill you.

This is not correct, see my earlier quote. You lose 5 HP.

You only start losing HD when the negative level becomes permanent (and then the negative level is technically gone).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-10, 03:52 PM
A. 281.5

q281.5
So the bonuses are not limited by the fact that Maor Aura bonuses do not exceed +5 before going epic?

No, Sir Reikhardt does not impose such a limitation, but re-reading the entry I know see that it says +1 level and not +1 bonus, so this does not even become an issue.

I have edited the table above to reflect this.

cupkeyk
2007-10-10, 04:09 PM
A. 281.5

No, Sir Reikhardt does not impose such a limitation, but re-reading the entry I know see that it says +1 level and not +1 bonus, so this does not even become an issue.

I have edited the table above to reflect this.

Will it affect it if I moved the levels around to Marshal 4>Mythic Exemplar 7 >Uncanny Trickster 3 >Legacy Champion 3 >Mythic Exemplar 10(+3)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-10, 04:21 PM
Will it affect it if I moved the levels around to Marshal 4>Mythic Exemplar 7 >Uncanny Trickster 3 >Legacy Champion 3 >Mythic Exemplar 10(+3)

The order does not matter.

For the purpose of determining aura strength:
- Marshal 4 grants you 4 levels, obviously.
- Mythic Exemplar 7 grants you 3 (3rd, 5th and 7th)
- Uncanny Trickster 3 grants you 2 (2nd and 3rd)
- Legacy Champion 3 grants you 2 (2nd and 3rd)
- Mythic Exemplar 10 grants you 1 (9th)

For a total of 4+3+2+2+1 = 12

Still only a +2 bonus (You need 14 effective levels).

Marshal 5 / Mythic Exemplar 9 / Legacy Champion 6 will give the necessary 14 effective levels and the +3 bonus.
However, "optimizing" this build further is beyond the scope of this thread.

Balkash
2007-10-10, 08:26 PM
Q. 284

Would this work? Before becoming a lich, a spellcaster created a clone of himself, after which he completed the process of becoming a lich. After centuries of adventuring and fighting, the lich decided he wished to be alive again. He went to his clone (lets just say it was stored away from harm or damage over the years) and there he destroyed his phylactery as well as his body. By destroying the phylactery he frees his soul from it, and by killing himself afterwards, he no longer is recreated in 1d10 days as a lich. Instead, wouldnt the now free soul go to his clone, thus technically bringing him back to life. Granted he would only be whatever level and such as he was when he created the clone (though he would have all the neat items).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-11, 12:34 AM
A. 284

It is not clear what happens when the Phylactery is destroyed. It is possible that the life force / soul is forever destroyed instead of setting it free.

I suggest you take this interesting question to another thread if you want to discuss what happens. :smallsmile:

Reinboom
2007-10-11, 12:43 AM
Q. 285
Just to make sure, I cast Greater Anticipate Teleportation shuffle at the beginning of the day. Would Dimension Shuffle (PHB2) work in order to temporarily make a group of enemies who fail their saves 'not exist' for 3 rounds if I teleport them into range?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-11, 01:18 AM
A. 285

Yes, the creatures would have to spend a little longer than normal on the Astral Plane before arriving.

theterran
2007-10-11, 08:49 AM
Q. 286

If I specialize a Wizard and drop two schools, I cannot cast spells from these as a wizard, this I know.

My question is if I multiclass into another caster class, say a shadow caster/beguiler/warmage/etc., will those schools be prohibited for the new class levels as well, or just for the wizard levels?

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-11, 09:19 AM
Q. 287

If a Minotaur with class levels in Barbarian, using the Pounce substitution for Barbarian charges, what happens in regard to his Powerful Charge ability?

Q. 288

The thoqqua (MM) in it's Combat entry says that it is able to coil itself up as a spring and launch itself at enemies and to treat this as a charge, though it does not need to move to do so. Can a shapechanging character (either via Alter Self, if base race elemental or Polymorph etc.) gain this ability?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-11, 09:29 AM
A. 286

No, they are only prohibited for the Wizard class.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-11, 09:57 AM
A. 287

Both abilities only require that you charge, so you get to make the powerful gore attack along with your other remaining remaining attacks.

Obviously you cannot attack with your Gore attack twice and you must also remember to add the penalty to attack from using it as a secondary attack (-5 normally).

Pounce (Ex): When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack

Powerful Charge (Ex): When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, its attack deals extra damage in addition to the normal benefits and hazards of a charge. The amount of damage from the attack is given in the creature’s description.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-11, 10:06 AM
A. 288

You gain the extraordinary special attacks of the form you assume, but the Thoqqua has not listed this ability (charge as a spring and not needing to move 10 feet as part of the charge) as extraordinary.

The DM would have to house rule what kind of ability fits best.

Personally I believe it should have been listed as an extraordinary special attack.

TK-Squared
2007-10-11, 10:52 AM
Q 289

If a Wizard cast a buff spell on himself with Persistant Spell (like, let's say, Bull's Strength, for example). If he uses Magic Jar to transfer his lifeforce to another body, does he retain the effect of the spell?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-11, 11:01 AM
Re: A 288
Now, the FAQ does have an entry that states:

"Unless a racial trait is specifically referred to elsewhere as
an extraordinary, supernatural, or spell-like ability (such as
blindsense or damage reduction), it isn’t any of those."
The Thoqqua's ability to charge without leaving its space is not specifically listed as extraordinary.

However, in true FAQ fashion, another entry contradicts this claiming that a human's bonus skill points and feats as well as most other racial traits are extraordinary, despite the fact that they are not listed as scuch. Heck, the only PHB race whose traits have any designation as extraordinary, spell-like or supernatural is the Gnome, and that is only limited to its spell-like abilities.

Further confusing the issue, the first FAQ entry actually claims that when you use polymorph even untyped racial traits should be gained (in return for losing your normal racial types) on the logic that polymorph changes your creature type. However, it seems to me that this is confusing Racial traits with Type traits. For instance, all elementals have Darkvision and immunity to poison, but only the Thoqqua has the ability to do the spring-coil charge. Simply changing your type to elemental through some other fashion would not give you the spring-coil charge ability. As such, I don't see why changing your type to elemental would do so in this case, especially since you explicitly do not gain all abilities of the form you take.

Note that despite the use of an elemental in the above example, you cannot actually change into an elemental with the spell polymorph unless you are already an elemental. However this restriction does not necessarily apply to other spells of the polymorph subschool.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-11, 11:28 AM
A. 289

The Magic Jar spell is of course silent on the issue. So a completely clear answer seems hard to find.

However, under the assumption that Spells effect life forces rather than bodies unless otherwise noted, it seems reasonable to assume that you would still benefit from your Bull's Strength when you occupy a new body.

If, while under the effect of a spell that depends on type
(such as hold person), my character is transformed into a
different creature type by polymorph*, does the spell’s
effect remain?

Yes. A spell only checks to see if you are a legal target
when it is cast. If you become an illegal target later (such as via
the polymorph spell), the spell remains in effect.

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-11, 01:27 PM
Q. 290

Does the spell Rage stack with the Barbarian class ability Rage?

squishycube
2007-10-11, 01:36 PM
A290
They stack partially, the boni to strength and constitution stack, since those of the class feature are nameless and those of the spell are morale. The Bonus on will saves does not stack, since they are both morale boni. You use the highest bonus, +2. The penalties do stack, for a total of -4 to AC when under the effect of both the spell and the class feature.

d20 SRD - Rage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rage.htm)

+2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution, a +1 morale bonus on Will saves

d20 SRD - Barbarian Rage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/barbarian.htm#rage)

+4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-11, 01:43 PM
Q. 291

Could an Undead use Unguent of Timelessness to gain a permanent (until dispelled) +1 resistance bonus to all saves?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-11, 01:48 PM
A. 291

No, Undeads and Constructs are not treated as objects (at least not for this purpose) even though they are not alive.

dyslexicfaser
2007-10-11, 02:45 PM
Q292
According to the SRD, you cannot use two light weapons in a grapple. Does this apply to unarmed TWF? flurry of blows?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-11, 02:56 PM
A. 292

Yes, you may however still use FoB as long as you only use one weapon for the attack. (Either Unarmed strike or one of the flurry allowed weapons.)

Jasdoif
2007-10-11, 03:01 PM
A292 correction

You can't use TWF or flurry in a grapple. Making a full attack isn't one of your options while grappling, and you can normally only use TWF or flurry with a full attack.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-11, 03:31 PM
I stand corrected. The full round action you use in a grapple to make you iterative weapon attacks are not technically described as a full attack, so strictly speaking not even FoB is possible.

Threeshades
2007-10-11, 04:25 PM
Q293
Just a quick question because im not entirely sure about that: Do Armor bracers stack with magical enhancement bonuses on existent armor (I know other bonuses of the same kind (deflection, natural armor) dont stack)? So far i thought they do, at least so i played it, (My rogue had a +1 Studded Leather armor and +2 armor bracers which gave her a total +6 armor bonus to AC) but i'm not sure about it anymore.

Jasdoif
2007-10-11, 04:33 PM
A293

No. Bracers of Armor provide an armor bonus to AC, which doesn't stack with other armor bonuses to AC, such as that gained from wearing armor. Also, the enhancement bonus on magical armor improves the armor's armor bonus to AC, and is not a separate bonus to AC in itself.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-11, 04:33 PM
A. 293

Bracers of Armor provides and armor bonus. Armor, with or without enhancements, also provide an armor bonus. Thus they do not stack.

Bracers of Armor provides a force effect that protects against incorporeal touch attack, which regular armor, with or without enhancements, do not. You may therefore still benefit from the bracers in this special instance.

Just to be clear, deflection bonuses and natural armor bonuses do stack with each other and with armor.

Edit: First you find errors in my posts and now you ninja me Jasdoif. :smalleek:
Maybe next you will try to steal my popcorn?? :smalltongue:

Jasdoif
2007-10-11, 04:38 PM
Maybe next you will try to steal my popcorn?? :smalltongue:Hey, that's not a bad...I mean, of course not! I don't want to find out if that charm and disintegrate person into popcorn eye ray is only a myth, told to greedy popcorn thieves.

monotone
2007-10-11, 05:01 PM
Q 294

If there a feat that lets a character act normally during a surprise round?
If so what source is it in.

Thanks in advance.

cupkeyk
2007-10-11, 05:06 PM
Q 294

If there a feat that lets a character act normally during a surprise round?
If so what source is it in.

Thanks in advance.

No. At most, a class feature, the tenth level class feature of the Divine Oracle. Since it was made a capstone class feature, it will never turn into a feat unless they want to nullify a PRC.

RMS Oceanic
2007-10-11, 06:12 PM
Q 295
Is a range of "Touch" considered a "Fixed" range for Persistent Spell (Complete Arcane)?

Chronos
2007-10-11, 06:24 PM
A290 revisited:

The spell Rage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rage.htm) says that "The effect is otherwise identical with a barbarian’s rage except that the subjects aren’t fatigued at the end of the rage.". Even unnamed bonuses don't stack if they're from the same source, and "otherwise identical to a barbarian's rage" sounds to me like they're the same source.

Winged One
2007-10-11, 06:25 PM
A 295
Yes. A range of touch is not a variable, and is therefore fixed.

EDIT: Retracted, but left present so that the posts below make sense.

Douglas
2007-10-11, 07:44 PM
A295 dissent
I'm pretty sure that WotC's official position on this is that no, touch range does not qualify for Persistent Spell. For one really quick reference, the 3.0 FAQ says:

Would spells that have touch range, such as spell
resistance, be considered to have a fixed range, and
therefore be usable with the Persistent Spell feat?

No. Range touch is not “fixed” for purposes of the Persistent
Spell feat. The spell must affect the caster’s person (personal
range) or have some effect that radiates from the caster’s
person (a fixed range, expressed in feet).

The 3.5 FAQ has nothing to say on the subject, but I don't think there is any indication that this might have changed between editions, and I remember there being a few other indications of this ruling somewhere on wizards.com but I don't feel like digging them up right now.

Jasdoif
2007-10-11, 07:47 PM
A295 correction

Persistent Spell states it can't be applied to spells whose effects are discharged. A touch spell requires delivering its charge, and thus is not valid for Persistent Spell.

Ditto
2007-10-11, 09:59 PM
A290 revisited

They stack partially, the boni to strength and constitution stack, since those of the class feature are nameless and those of the spell are morale. The Bonus on will saves does not stack, since they are both morale boni. You use the highest bonus, +2. The penalties do stack, for a total of -4 to AC when under the effect of both the spell and the class feature.

Shhalahr's gonna kill you when he gets back here. :smalltongue:

Greyen
2007-10-12, 01:33 AM
Q296

Ok this may have been asked before but I couldn't find it.

Fact - Using a trip attack, unarmed, causes an attack of opportunity.
Fact - Improved Trip removes this AoO.

Armor spikes allow you to make an attack with them as an off hand light weapon. Basiclly turning your unarmed attack into an attack with a martial weapon.

Now if you do not have Improved Trip, and make a trip attempt when wearing armor spikes are you still considered unarmed?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-12, 01:49 AM
A. 296

No, armor spikes makes you armed and thus means that you don't provoke an AoO, the trip attempt is still made with your unarmed strike though.

squishycube
2007-10-12, 02:48 AM
A290 revisited
Shhalahr's gonna kill you when he gets back here. :smalltongue:
I know! Isn't it fun? I actually use the Latin plural because I like it better than the English one, the fact that Shhalahr gets upset is bonus :smalltongue:

Curmudgeon
2007-10-12, 04:20 AM
I know! Isn't it fun? I actually use the Latin plural because I like it better than the English one, the fact that Shhalahr gets upset is bonus :smalltongue: Except that it isn't a Latin plural, because the Latin word bonus is an adjective, not a noun. We get our noun "bonus" as a truncation of bonus quæstus, "good bounty".

Either you have a Latin adjective, which doesn't have a plural, or an English noun, which doesn't get Latin plurals. "Boni" is for dumis.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-12, 08:23 AM
Re: A 296

Being armed only prevents attacks of opportunity if you are tripping with the weapon with which you are armed. As you cannot trip with armor spikes, wearing them while tripping will make no more difference in taking attacks of opportunity any more than holding a dagger or other weapon in your free hand while making a trip attempt will. It is not whether or not you are armed that matters but the type of attack you are making.

Note that nowhere in the armor spikes description are the spikes referenced as a type of unarmed strike.

Rad
2007-10-12, 09:09 AM
Either you have a Latin adjective, which doesn't have a plural
Of course latin adjectives have a plural! :smallmad:

Vulion
2007-10-12, 10:14 AM
Q 297

How many enchantments can one put on a weapon?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-12, 10:37 AM
A 297

Pre-Epic, you can enchant a weapon with a +10 equivalent enhancement bonus. No more than +5 of this bonus can be actual enhancement bonus, the remaining +5 must consist of special abilities.

There is no distinct limit on the number of properties with no equivalent enhancement bonuses you may place on the weapon, however, the market price of all magical properties cannot exceed 200,000 gp without epic magic item creation ability.

Of course, once you get the epic item creation feats, there are no limits.

Sources
SRD:Magic Items:Magic Armor and Weapons:Weapons (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItemsAW.html#weapons)
SRD:Epic Levels:Epic Magic Items (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/epicMagicItems.html)

Chronos
2007-10-12, 03:36 PM
Of course latin adjectives have a plural!Not only that, but every Latin adjective is also a legitimate Latin noun. So, for instance, "bonus" as an adjective means "good", and "bonus" as a noun would mean "a good thing". So "boni" is a perfectly valid plural Latin noun meaning "good things". The only place there's room for debate is whether this perfectly valid Latin construction should be used in English.

Rad
2007-10-12, 03:49 PM
Not only that, but every Latin adjective is also a legitimate Latin noun. So, for instance, "bonus" as an adjective means "good", and "bonus" as a noun would mean "a good thing". So "boni" is a perfectly valid plural Latin noun meaning "good things". The only place there's room for debate is whether this perfectly valid Latin construction should be used in English.
The fact that English has a word that is exactly the same as a Latin one (imported from Latin but now part of the English language) doesn't mean that it has to follow Latin grammar instead of the English one while it's spoken in an English speech :smallsmile:

Q 298
the DMG states that you can craft a magic item even if you provide the needed spell through a scroll. suppose a wizard/loremaster wants to use UMD to create an amulet of natural armor (needs the druid spell barskin); when does she have to make the UMD check? What happens if she fails? (assuming that if the check succeeds the item is created normally).
Are there rules for cooperating in crafting magic items? Where multiple crafters can each provide some of the requisites.

Jasdoif
2007-10-12, 04:01 PM
A298

When crafting a magic item, you have to provide each spell mentioned each day; if you need UMD to get these then you have to make the necessary UMD check(s) each day. If you fail the check(s), you simply make no progress that day, just as if you didn't work on the item that day.

There are indeed rules for cooperating on creating magic items:
It is possible for more than one character to cooperate in the creation of an item, with each participant providing one or more of the prerequisites. In some cases, cooperation may even be necessary.

If two or more characters cooperate to create an item, they must agree among themselves who will be considered the creator for the purpose of determinations where the creator’s level must be known. The character designated as the creator pays the XP required to make the item.

Rad
2007-10-12, 04:40 PM
A298

When crafting a magic item, you have to provide each spell mentioned each day; if you need UMD to get these then you have to make the necessary UMD check(s) each day. If you fail the check(s), you simply make no progress that day, just as if you didn't work on the item that day.

There are indeed rules for cooperating on creating magic items:

I cannot find your quote on the SRD and where do you infer from that the spell has to be cast each day? Thank you.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-12, 04:48 PM
Re: A 298

SRD:Magic Items:Magic Item Descriptions:Prerequisites (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItems.html#prerequisites)

It has the passage Jasodif quoted as well as the line establishing the need to meet each prerequisite each day of casting.

Rad
2007-10-12, 04:55 PM
Re: A 298

SRD:Magic Items:Magic Item Descriptions:Prerequisites (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItems.html#prerequisites)

It has the passage Jasodif quoted as well as the line establishing the need to meet each prerequisite each day of casting.

Thank you! And to Jasdoif again!
EDIT: I corrected your name, sorry about that :smallfrown:

Jasdoif
2007-10-12, 05:04 PM
A298 commentary?

Two more things. One, you can usually try again on the UMD check if it fails...however, if you roll a 1 (and that fails) you can't try with that particular item for another 24 hours. The consequence means you can't take 20 on the check, and UMD doesn't allow you to take 10.

Two...dang it all, it's Jasdoif, not Jasodif. "D before O, because I said so!" :smalltongue:

Fax Celestis
2007-10-12, 06:11 PM
Q299 Are mage armor or shield valid targets for magic vestment?

Q300 Is mage's sword a valid target for greater magic weapon?

Jasdoif
2007-10-12, 06:28 PM
A299

No. Magic vestment requires a suit of armor or a shield as its target, while mage armor and shield only produce fields of force.

A300 maybe?

This one's kind of interesting...Mage's sword lists its effect as "one sword", which would appear to make it a valid target for greater magic weapon. The sword appears to naturally have a +3 enhancement bonus, though the +3 on damage isn't specifically identified as an enhancement bonus.

Curmudgeon
2007-10-12, 07:06 PM
Of course latin adjectives have a plural! :smallmad: No, they don't have a plural. The English word bonus has a plural: bonuses. The Latin adjective bonus has the following plurals:
nominative: boni
genitive: bonorum
dative: bonis
accusative: bonos
ablative: bonis
vocative: boni
locative: bonis
(This is the complete list, though the vocative and locative forms apply to this adjective infrequently.)

It's just weird to throw in Latin word endings irrespective of case; that's the English equivalent of saying "she car" instead of "her car".

Chronos
2007-10-12, 07:31 PM
It's just weird to throw in Latin word endings irrespective of case; that's the English equivalent of saying "she car" instead of "her car".So instead of talking about "the bacteria's resistance to antibiotics", we should say "the bacteriums' resistance to antibiotics", or "the bacteriorum resistance to antibiotics"? Since English does not have different word forms for different cases (except for pronouns, and a trivial suffix for genitives), the rule for words taken from other languages seems to just be to use only the nominative form.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-12, 07:53 PM
Gah! Linguistics argument in my Q&A thread! Out, out, damned spot! Out!

...apparently when faced with linguistics, I become Lady Macbeth. Who knew?

Curmudgeon
2007-10-12, 07:58 PM
So instead of talking about "the bacteria's resistance to antibiotics", we should say "the bacteriums' resistance to antibiotics", or "the bacteriorum resistance to antibiotics"? No, because "bacterium" isn't a Latin word, merely a modern coinage that uses a Latinate plural. As an English word it has no case-specific endings.

If you use actual Latin words, use proper Latin word endings. If you use English words, use English word endings. So the plural of the English word bonus is always bonuses; and the plural of the Latin word bonus needs to vary to fit the case.

These rules are written down and certainly no more dificult to follow than D&D rules. Try Wikipedia for the RAW of Latin Grammar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_grammar) and the RAW of English Plurals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_plurals).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-13, 06:14 AM
A. 300

I would have to rule no. It is a plane of force that is swordlike, not a weapon as is required by Magic Weapon (Greater).

This spell brings into being a shimmering, swordlike plane of force.

The sword appears to naturally have a +3 enhancement bonus, though the +3 on damage isn't specifically identified as an enhancement bonus.

No, Jasodoifo?

with an additional +3 enhancement bonus.

Miraqariftsky
2007-10-13, 06:43 AM
Q. 301 What is the damage potential of a Spiritual Weapon to undead?

@V: Thanks.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-13, 06:58 AM
A. 301

About the same as against non-undead.

Here is a short summary of what the spell does against and undaeds as well as against non-undeads. (You should still consult the spell description though)

1d8 +1/CL (Max +5 at 15th level

It uses the same threat range and critical multiplier as the weapon it replicates.

It is a force spell, not a weapon, so it ignores damage reduction and the miss chance for striking incorporeal creatures, but as a spell it is subject to spell resistance.

If your BAB is high enough after the first it can make multiple attacks using your wisdom bonus to hit.

The weapon cannot flank and the weapon does not gain the benefit of any feats you may have when attacking.

Jasdoif
2007-10-13, 09:25 AM
No, Jasodoifo?No, Cheerio Tyrant.

Its attack bonus is equal to your caster level + your Int bonus or your Cha bonus (for wizards or sorcerers, respectively) with an additional +3 enhancement bonus. As a force effect, it can strike ethereal and incorporeal creatures. It deals 4d6+3 points of force damage, with a threat range of 19–20 and a critical multiplier of x2.The enhancement bonus is listed as applying to the attack roll. Given the same +3 quantity on the damage roll it makes sense to think that's an enhancement bonus as well...but it isn't for certain. Could be some sort of super-masterwork enhancement bonus on the attack roll.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-13, 09:46 AM
No, Cheerio Tyrant.

Point taken. Why would anyone want to tyrannize cheerios? Why would anyone bother, they are simply not worth it. :smalltongue:

Whre did you get the name Jasdoif anyway?

The enhancement bonus is listed as applying to the attack roll. Given the same +3 quantity on the damage roll it makes sense to think that's an enhancement bonus as well...but it isn't for certain. Could be some sort of super-masterwork enhancement bonus on the attack roll.

I see what you are saying now, but I generally think one should choose the most reasonable interpretation in an instance like this. :smallsmile:

Besides, I would still say that it is a moot point in any case.

Jasdoif
2007-10-13, 10:18 AM
Whre did you get the name Jasdoif anyway?I just happen to have summarized this the other day....
One morning, a few years ago, my co-worker/boss went to type a login for a server at work, and his hands slipped (for reasons I can't recall) and fifteen or so random letters appeared on the screen. And right there in the middle of the jumble was "jasdoif", which looked almost pronounceable. And I decided it sounded cool, and added it to my list of pseudonyms.

Besides, I would still say that it is a moot point in any case.Fair enough. If only the spell text said it created "a Huge +3 everdancing greatsword except as mentioned here"....

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-13, 11:07 AM
I just happen to have summarized this the other day....

Interesting, but I don't think my version was that bad. :smallbiggrin:

Although I will gladly donate a popcorn for sharing your tale. :smallamused:

Fair enough. If only the spell text said it created "a Huge +3 everdancing greatsword except as mentioned here"....

See now that would have been too easy. :smallsigh: :smalltongue:

Fax Celestis
2007-10-13, 01:18 PM
Q302 Can a Spellwarp Sniper use her Spellwarp ability when casting spells from spell trigger or spell completion items?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-13, 03:02 PM
A. 302

No, generally you can cannot use feats and abilities to alter the spells you cast from items.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-13, 05:31 PM
Q303 If you are a Medium half-dragon, and you are affected by the enlarge person spell, do you gain the wings from the half-dragon template?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-13, 06:11 PM
A. 303

Half-Dragons are not a legal target for Enlarge Person. It only works on humanoids and Half-Dragons have their type changed to Dragon.

Ignoring that and moving to the crux of the question; the RAW is not clear on the matter, but considering that Half-Dragon is an inherited template that does not add any wings to a creature of medium size I personally would have to say that the any future transformation is unlikely to add wings and flight unless it is a feature of the transformation itself.

However, since Half-Dragon Dragons are possible I guess you can argue just about anything in regard to that template. :smalltongue:

TK-Squared
2007-10-13, 08:53 PM
Q304

Regarding Persistent Spell mixed with Time Stop. As persistent spell makes the duration of a Fixed or Personal spell 24 hours, if I were to, hypothetically, Divine Metamagic (Persistant Spell) a Persistant Time Stop, would I be able to do 24 hours worth of Time Stopping in the space of a round in everyone else's time?

Anxe
2007-10-13, 11:36 PM
A304

That is correct. But there are many problems with that.
1. It becomes a 15th level spell. Hard to cast.
2. Your DM's gonna have to be retarded to let you do this.
3. Your DM might rule that the spell works like this. The real time duration of the spell becomes 24 hours, but you only get 1d4+1 rounds of actions in that time. You'd actually slow down with the persistent version.

Alleine
2007-10-13, 11:39 PM
Q 305

Would the skill Craft(blacksmithing) cover any weapons and armor creation at all?(assuming there is a blacksmithing sub-skill)

Myatar_Panwar
2007-10-13, 11:52 PM
Q 306

Can you sneak attack with both weapons while TWF? I could not find anything against it under the class feature.

Alleine
2007-10-14, 12:08 AM
Q 307

Is a psicrystal a legitimate selection for the item familiar feat?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-14, 04:30 AM
A. 304

No, you need weapon- and armorsmithitng craft skills to craft weapons. Even farm tools used as weapons, such as a scythe, are manufactured for weapon use and not farming.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-14, 04:31 AM
A. 306

Yes, certainly.

Jasdoif
2007-10-14, 04:31 AM
A306

Yes. Any attack you make is a sneak attack if it qualifies for such, this would include attacks coming from different weapons in TWF.

A307

No. A psicrystal is a creature, not a magic item; and the item familiar feat requires a permanent magic item.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-14, 04:48 AM
A. 307

No, Psicrystals are not magic items, but perhaps there is another feat that does what you want.

A psicrystal is treated as a construct for the purposes of all effects that depend on its type.

Chronos
2007-10-14, 02:18 PM
Q308: Exactly what sort of conditions can be used to trigger a Contingency? All that the spell description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/contingency.htm) says is that they must be clear, though they can be general. It doesn't say anything about range limits, or what the spell can detect or be fooled by. Could I set the trigger to be, for instance, "A chaotic evil character somewhere in the world reaches 20th level"? Or "Whenever anyone approaches within 100 feet of my stronghold", if my stronghold is currently a thousand miles away?

Q309: If a spell cast with Contingency has decisions associated with it, are those decisions made when the Contingency is cast, or when it's triggered? For instance, if my Contingency is set to teleport me, when do I set the destination?

Ponce
2007-10-14, 02:22 PM
Q 310
Sorcerers who take the Domain Access alternate class ability know one fewer sorcerer spell of each level. Whenever a sorcerer gains access to a new spell level, she learns only one spell sorcerer spell of that level. But then, whenever she gains a new spell level, say at level 6, she knows no sorcerer spells of that level, only the one of her granted domain. But she can only cast that spell once per day, yes? So, in the case of the 6th level sorcerer who took this feat, does she gain no third level sorcerer spells and only a single 3rd level domain spell, meaning a number of her available spell slots can't be used until she gains another level?

Q 310b
As an aside, do sorcerers who choose the Plant Domain gain the ability to Rebuke and Command Plant creatures? Does the same apply to the elemental domains and domains with similar abilities?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-14, 02:45 PM
A. 308

The spell description leaves a lot to be determined by the DM, but as the examples in the spell description suggests it seems that the conditions must be readily observable and detectable by normal means. Contingency does not have any ability to discern alignment or similar and it cannot scry on events far away. Meta-game conditions a DM is of course always free to ignore.

A. 309

Again, the spell description is silent on the issue, but considering that the contingent spell already has been cast my guess is that there is not much leeway to change the spell when the conditions are triggered.
In case you are incapacitated this can actually be a benefit.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-14, 03:03 PM
A. 310

It is possible to cast lower level spell in higher level slots. You can use your 3rd level spells/day to cast 2nd, 1st or 0th levels spells or metamagic versions that would make them use a 3rd level slot.

A. 310b

Yes, you gain the domain benefit associated with the chosen domain.

martyboy74
2007-10-14, 03:34 PM
Q311a Say a character, who has access to domains, chooses a domain whose power grants a feat, but the character doesn't meet the prerequisites. Would they still gain that feat?

Q311b If the answer to 311a is yes, does that mean that a sorcerer who used the Domain Access varient and chose the undeath domain, thus gaining Extra Turning, could get Divine Metamagic and use it on his spells?

Chronos
2007-10-14, 03:52 PM
Q308 elaboration:
The spell description leaves a lot to be determined by the DM, but as the examples in the spell description suggests it seems that the conditions must be readily observable and detectable by normal means.But what counts as "normal means"? For instance, a caster might word his Contingency as "if someone other than (insert party members here) approaches closer than 30' with a weapon drawn". Now, a rogue with a dagger sneaks up on the wizard. Is a character with a +1 modifier to Hide detectable by normal means? How about a character with a +40 to Hide? Does it depend on the wizard's Spot check, or does the Contingency itself have a Spot modifier?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-14, 04:01 PM
A. 311a

Yes, but they may not derive any benefit from the feat. (See part b)

You do not need to meet the prerequisites, just like you do not need to meet the prerequisites for bonus feats.

A. 311b

You gain no benefit from Extra Turning unless you have the ability to Turn/Rebuke Undead in the first place and therefore gain no extra turning attempts to use with Divine Metamagic.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-14, 04:19 PM
A. 308 Continued

Q308 elaboration:But what counts as "normal means"? For instance, a caster might word his Contingency as "if someone other than (insert party members here) approaches closer than 30' with a weapon drawn". Now, a rogue with a dagger sneaks up on the wizard. Is a character with a +1 modifier to Hide detectable by normal means? How about a character with a +40 to Hide? Does it depend on the wizard's Spot check, or does the Contingency itself have a Spot modifier?

Again the spell description is silent on the issue so it is really up to DM interpretation. It would have benefited from providing some examples of which conditions would qualify other than the two simple ones about water and falling.

House Rules ahead, you may want to turn back....

Personally, I would rule that the subject have to perceive or experience the condition before the Contingency would be triggered. Since the effect is instant it should not be difficult to avoid most dangers.

However, because of the vague wording you will easily be able to find people who can provide you with a much looser interpretation of what is required.

I suggest that each group decides on exactly how Contingency works before it comes into play. If you start a new thread I am sure you will get quite different responses.

Charity
2007-10-14, 06:41 PM
If you start a new thread I am sure you will get quite different responses.

The lord of understatement.

Curmudgeon
2007-10-14, 08:31 PM
A 311a alternative viewpoint

A cleric who chooses the War domain receives the Weapon Focus feat related to his deity’s weapon as a bonus feat. He also receives the appropriate Martial Weapon Proficiency feat as a bonus feat, if the weapon falls into that category. This would have been a perfect place to note that a 1st-level Cleric (BAB +0) doesn't meet the prerequisite for Weapon Focus, but no such cautionary note is made.

Weapon Focus [General]

Prerequisites: Proficiency with selected weapon, base attack bonus +1. I'm guessing that the intent was to allow 1st-level Clerics to benefit from Weapon Focus.

Arbitrarity
2007-10-14, 08:38 PM
Remember also that monsters can get bonus feats and recieve benefits without qualifying for them, and that most instances of bonus feats allowed to players, such as fighter bonus feats, have the "must meet the prerequisites for the feat" flag, and the domain bonus feats do not.

Quietus
2007-10-15, 02:13 AM
Q312: Is there a way to get Powerful Build on a medium-sized human half-dragon, or something similar?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-15, 03:23 AM
A. 312

No, I don't think that Powerful Build is granted as anything but a racial trait.

Raolin_Fenix
2007-10-15, 01:52 PM
Q 313

According to the SRD, a Wild-Shaping druid keeps his own HD. Does this mean at fifth level he turns into, say, a wolf with 5 HD, and therefore an improved ability score, an extra feat, and so forth?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-15, 02:06 PM
A. 313

No, he only gets the MM statistics except as described in the Druid entry with the most recent errata.

squidthingy
2007-10-15, 09:01 PM
Q 314

What exactly does Greater manyshot do? Also swift hunter from complete scoundrel

squishycube
2007-10-16, 12:46 AM
A314 ~2/3
d20 SRD - Psionic Feats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm)

you can fire each arrow at a different target instead of firing all of them at the same target. You make a separate attack roll for each arrow, regardless of whether you fire them at separate targets or the same target. Your precision-based damage applies to each arrow fired, and, if you score a critical hit with more than one of the arrows, each critical hit deals critical damage
- You can fiire the arrows at different targets, unlike Manyshot
- You make a seperate attack roll for each arrow, unlike Manyshot
- You apply precision damage to each arrow, unlike Manyshot
- You can roll a critical hit on every arrow, unlike Manyshot.

From the Complete Scoundrel Excerpt I distilled this information:

Swift Hunter
[prereqs:] Favored enemy, skirmish +1d6/+1 AC
[Benefit] Ranger and scout levels stack for skirmish bonuses, favored enemies
I think the feat is intended to make Scout/Ranger a viable build by letting scout and ranger levels stack for the purpose of determining the power of the Skirmish and Favored Enemy class features, respectively.

Swooper
2007-10-16, 07:06 AM
Q 315
Level adjustment confuses me... Does a character gain feats at every three character levels or effective character levels? I.e. would a goliath barbarian (LA+1) gain his second feat when taking the 2nd barbarian level (ECL 3) or 3rd (ECL 4)?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-16, 07:33 AM
A 315
No.

"A character’s ECL affects the experience the character earns, the amount of experience the character must have before gaining a new level, and the character’s starting equipment. (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monsters.html#level-adjustment)" In all other cases, use character level (Hit Dice).

Rad
2007-10-16, 07:44 AM
Q 316
I'm confused about Somatic Weaponry. Is it needed to cast when using a 2-handed weapon? Is it an action to remove one hand from the hilt and put it back?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-16, 08:53 AM
A. 316

Removing a hand from a two-handed weapon is a free action, but re-gripping is a move action unless you have Quick Draw.

The Great Skenardo
2007-10-16, 01:09 PM
Q. 317
What type of penalties is imposed by a curse, and do they stack?
For example, can someone be under the effect of multiple identical bestow curse spells?

Additionally, does the Hexblade's Curse class ability stack with effects such as Bestow Curse and the supplemental penalties from the "Dark Companion" option in the PHBII?

Supplement
Suppose multiple hexblades engage a foe. Do the penalties to AC and saves from their Dark Companions stack? That is, if the foe is adjacent to two different Dark Companions, do they suffer a -4 penalty?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-16, 01:20 PM
A. 317

No, it is the case of the same effect twice.
Effects do not stack with themselves, whether they are from spells or class abilities.

Curmudgeon
2007-10-16, 02:05 PM
A. 316

Removing a hand from a two-handed weapon is a free action, I'm with you here
but re-gripping is a move action unless you have Quick Draw. ... but here you've lost me. Certainly drawing and sheathing a weapon are move actions, but I can't find any RAW support for re-gripping as a move action.

This doesn't fall under the move action for "Manipulate an Item", because just adding a second hand to an item doesn't meet the dictionary definition of the term (http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/manipulate):
Manipulate -Verb
2. Hold something in one's hands and move it.
Can you provide a reference for your answer?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-16, 02:36 PM
I'm with you here ... but here you've lost me. Certainly drawing and sheathing a weapon are move actions, but I can't find any RAW support for re-gripping as a move action.

You won't find any direct reference (although the both hand use of the Somatic Weaponry would almost be reduced to fluff without), but the FAQ equates a similar action with drawing a weapon.

My DM says that my cleric has to drop his morningstar to cast spells. Is he right?

Yes and no. To cast a spell with a somatic (S) component,
you must gesture freely with at least one hand. (Player’s
Handbook, page 140) A cleric (or any caster, for that matter)
who holds a weapon in one hand and wears a heavy shield on
the other arm doesn’t have a hand free to cast a spell with a
somatic component (which includes most spells in the game).
To cast such a spell, the character must either drop or sheathe
his weapon.
Another simple option is for the cleric to carry a buckler or
light shield instead of a heavy shield. The buckler leaves one
hand free for spellcasting, and you don’t even lose the
buckler’s shield bonus to AC when casting with that hand. The
light shield doesn’t give you a free hand for spellcasting, but
since you can hold an item in the same hand that holds the light
shield, you could switch your weapon to that hand to free up a
hand for spellcasting. (You can’t use the weapon while it’s held
in the same hand as your shield, of course.) The rules don’t
state what type of action is required to switch hands on a
weapon, but it seems reasonable to assume that it’s the
equivalent of drawing a weapon (a move action that doesn’t
provoke attacks of opportunity).

In a previous column, the Sage ruled that switching weapons from one hand to the other should take a move action. My group and I thought that seemed pretty long, since it’s only a free action to drop something. Why can’t you just drop it into your other hand?

It’s not really true that switching weapons from one hand to
another is just like dropping a weapon. When you drop a
weapon, you’re releasing it and letting it drop to the ground,
with no real guidance (or attention) as to exactly where it lands.
Switching a weapon from one hand to another is certainly more
complex than simply dropping it. At the very least, switching
hands would require you to use one hand to take the weapon
from the other and at most it involves using both hands together
in a coordinated action. Either way that sounds a lot like
drawing a weapon, which is a move action. When you simply
drop a weapon, you don’t really care where it lands, and it
doesn’t require you to use the other hand to guide the action.