PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By RAW) IV

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Curmudgeon
2007-10-16, 03:02 PM
You won't find any direct reference (although the both hand use of the Somatic Weaponry would almost be reduced to fluff without), but the FAQ equates a similar action with drawing a weapon. Hmm. I agree that "switching weapons from one hand to another" makes sense as a move action, because you're almost required to move the weapon in the process. But this is also noticeably more time-consuming than simply adding a second hand since you'd need to serialize the movements of two hands rather than just move one.

Lacking any direct statement in the rules, I'd default to a free action for doubling up your grip. A DM is supposed to set "reasonable limits" on the use of free actions anyway.

Myatar_Panwar
2007-10-16, 05:41 PM
Q 318

In the Tome of Battle, there are a few maneuvers under Devoted Spirit with the [descriptor] Law, Chaos, Evil, or Good. And after checking around, it said that only some of the maneuvers descriptors had an in game effect... it just didn't say which. So, would this act the same way a clerics spells might? An example being that I couldn't use a [chaos] maneuver while being lawful? Another being that If I was NE, that I could use [law], [chaos], and [evil] maneuvers, but not [good]?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-16, 06:23 PM
A. 318

All descriptors potentially have in-game effects, i.e. [Mind-Affecting] maneuvers does not work on creatures immune to Mind-Affecting effects. However, there is no restrictions on the use of maneuvers with alignment descriptors, but using own is an act of that alignment, which may have consequences, just like casting [Evil] spells are evil acts.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-16, 06:42 PM
Hmm. I agree that "switching weapons from one hand to another" makes sense as a move action, because you're almost required to move the weapon in the process. But this is also noticeably more time-consuming than simply adding a second hand since you'd need to serialize the movements of two hands rather than just move one.

Lacking any direct statement in the rules, I'd default to a free action for doubling up your grip. A DM is supposed to set "reasonable limits" on the use of free actions anyway.

I agree that if all you were doing was to re-grip it could possibly be viewed as a move action, but here you are both letting go and re-gripping.

You might say that "reasonable limits" on free actions solves the problem and I would agree, but on the other hand we have the Sage saying that you can quick draw, use and drop an high number of different weapons in the same round using free actions, which makes the boundary for what is "reasonable" hard to see.

The cheesy response to your "defaulting" to a free- action would of course be:
Assume the weapon is held in the right hand

- I re-grip with my left hand to use the weapon two-handed. (your free-action)
- I let go with my right hand. (free-action)

The weapon is now held in the left hand and I have effectively switched hands using only free-actions :smallamused:

Again, limiting free actions will solve it, as you said, but I just wanted to point this out so the spirit of the FAQ ruling is upheld and the Somatic Weaponry feat remains meaningful for two-handers also.

Jasdoif
2007-10-16, 08:10 PM
A318 comment

Certain maneuvers with alignment descriptors list having a matching alignment as a prerequisite (for instance, four of the level 5 Devoted Spirit maneuvers). Other maneuvers with alignment descriptors do not, such as the four level 6 Devoted Spirit stances.

Alleine
2007-10-16, 09:53 PM
Q 319

Do the different power stones(minor, medium, major) add to the base price? And can you decide that the major one simply has 6 powers, or do have to roll a d6?

TomTheRat
2007-10-16, 11:01 PM
Q320

How do natural attacks and basic attacks stack?

Example: Half-dragon template with a melee weapon equipped.

Then (of course), how do they stack with a monk's flurry of blows? I have to assume that the monk ability does nothing other than reduce the AB of all attacks by 2 and add an extra full BAB attack.

I'm sure this has been answered before, sorry to ask it again, even a link will suffice.

Jasdoif
2007-10-17, 12:14 AM
A319

Judging from the tables, and that the text doesn't mention minor/medium/major power stones at all; I would surmise that the tables are solely for randomly determining the contents of a power stone that the characters find. (Note also the shocking similarity to the same tables for scrolls (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm).)

If a power stone is being crafted, I see nothing to prevent a character from putting six powers into one. (I think six is the maximum, but I can't find this mentioned right now, so I may be imagining it) And nothing in the text indicates that medium/major are really different grades of power stone, much less that they would cost more.

A320

You can make a full attack with both manufactured weapons and natural weapons, assuming you have natural weapons free at the time. When you do so, all your natural attacks are considered secondary, and so they take the corresponding penalty on attack rolls (-2 if you have Multiattack, -5 otherwise). Regardless of your BAB, you can only attack once with each natural weapon. Each such attack starts at your BAB before any bonuses/penalties apply.

A lizardfolk with BAB +16 and holding a weapon in one hand could thus attack with the weapon (at +16/+11/+6/+1) and with a single claw and a bite (both at +16, but with the penalty for being secondary attacks). He can't use both claw attacks, because one clawed hand is holding a weapon and thus can't be used for a claw attack.

As for a monk in particular....You can't use natural weapons as part of a flurry of blows, as they are neither unarmed strikes nor designated as special monk weapons. That said, you can use both flurry of blows and natural weapons as part of the same full attack, in the same way that you can use manufactured weapons and natural weapons in the same full attack.

Can a monk who has natural weapon attacks (such as a centaur monk) attack unarmed and still use his natural weapons? For example, let’s say he’s a 4th-level monk. Can he use a flurry of blows and attack at +5/+5/+0 unarmed (plus other bonuses) and then at +0/+0 for 2 hooves?

If the creature normally is allowed to make both weapon attacks and natural weapon attacks as part of the same full attack routine, the monk can do the same (making unarmed strikes in place of weapon attacks). Since a centaur can make two hoof attacks in addition to his longsword attack, a centaur monk can make two hoof attacks in addition to his unarmed strike attack (or attacks, depending on his base attack bonus). The monk can’t use his natural weapon attacks as part of a flurry of blows, but he can make natural weapon attacks in addition to his flurry. Such attacks suffer the same –2 penalty as the monk’s flurry attacks in addition to the normal –5 penalty for secondary natural attacks.

An 4th-level centaur monk has a base attack bonus of +7 (+4 from his 4 monstrous humanoid Hit Dice, and +3 from his 8 monk levels). If he performs a flurry of blows, he makes three unarmed strikes, at +5/+5/+0. He can add two hoof attacks at –2/–2 (–5 as secondary weapons, and –2 from the flurry).

The Extinguisher
2007-10-17, 01:59 AM
Q 321

Does the restriction that you can't bring someone back to live if they died of old age apply to all natural causes or just an "old age" death?

For example, things like genetic disorders and heart attacks and strokes.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-17, 03:34 AM
Q 322
Is there any way to get Flame Blade added to the Bard's spell list, w/o multiclassing?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-17, 04:05 AM
A. 321

Well, having old age as a cause of death is a bit of a misnomer.
Often the cause of the death is some disease that eventually result in organ failure, stroke, genetic disorders etc.

The fact that "old" people have a harder time fighting diseases and have organs that have been worn down etc. are just the contributing factor to the death, but it is not really the cause.

The DM has to draw the line somewhere, because in a world of cure diseases and regenerate a natural death could always be prevented.

squishycube
2007-10-17, 05:10 AM
A322
If you don't want multiclassing, you are probably looking for a feat. There is the feat Extra Spell, Complete Arcane page 80, but that only lets you learn spells already on your spell list. (The feat does not specify this, so you might be able to convince your DM otherwise.)

squidthingy
2007-10-17, 10:06 AM
Q323

Easy one, what's the will save on Hold Person

Jasdoif
2007-10-17, 10:16 AM
A323

The base save DC for any spell is 10 + spell level + ability modifier for the spellcaster in question, unless the spell's text says otherwise (which hold person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holdPerson.htm)'s does not).

For instance: 12 + Cha for a Bard 12 + Wis for a Cleric 13 + Cha for a Sorcerer 13 + Int for a Wizard

enderrocksonall
2007-10-17, 11:07 AM
Q324

If someone makes a Thri-Kreen or any other multihanded character, can they use a bow in each pair of hands? This would be using the multi-attack feat and allow them to use 2 longbows and gain an extra attack per round with one of them right?

squishycube
2007-10-17, 11:25 AM
A324
I'd say you can, although the RAW is not very helpful. I can't find it in the FAQ or errata. A bow requires two hands, you have four. Therefore you can use two bows, at a -4 penalty to every attack if you have multiweapon fighting. You'd be able to make one extra attack with the 'off-hand' bow.

Zid
2007-10-17, 11:32 AM
Q325

Do the sleep arrows of a Pixie (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/sprite.htm) have a HD maximum, as the spell sleep?

Jasdoif
2007-10-17, 11:47 AM
A325

No. As mentioned in the creature's text....

Any opponent struck by this arrow, regardless of Hit Dice, must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or be affected as though by a sleep spell. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +2 racial bonus.

cupkeyk
2007-10-17, 06:47 PM
Q326
Do dwarves ride ponies or horses? Ponies are the same size category as dwarves but the idea of them riding horses goes against fantasy canon.

Q327
Can you enhance a Ironwood item without having to pay for the initial +1 enhancement because it already is +1. So I can have a +1 flaming Ironwood scimitar for only 6000 gp(8000-2000gp)?

What happens when the spell is dispelled or expires?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-17, 06:56 PM
A. 326

Dwarves and Humans are the same size category, so both ride adult horses.

HUMANS

* Medium: ...

DWARVES

* Medium:

Horse: A horse (other than a pony) is suitable as a mount for a human, dwarf, elf, half-elf, or half-orc. A pony is smaller than a horse and is a suitable mount for a gnome or halfling.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-17, 07:03 PM
A. 327

The weapon, armor or shield is only treated as a magic item with a +1 enhancement bonus, so you would not get any discounts when using such an item for magic item creation. Instead you would get an overlapping enhancement bonus.

Chronos
2007-10-17, 08:02 PM
Q326 addendum: If you want something with more appropriate flavor, I was once in a game with a dwarf who rode a trusty war burro. Same size as a horse (and in fact, a little stronger), but they don't mind being underground. It'd be a DM call for how much such a beast would cost and a few other such details (war-trained burros aren't listed in the rules), but nothing too difficult.

Wender
2007-10-17, 11:14 PM
A conundrum specific to Eberron and the Expanded Psionics Handbook:

I'm considering a Kalashtar Soulknife . For being a Kalashtar she gets 1 power point per level, and Soulknife gives her 2 more for the wild talent feat. She's 5th level, so that's 7 power points. Soulknives do not get power points as a class, nor do they get powers, but from Wild Talent they have the ability to take the psionic item creation feats... which all assume that you can use powers.

Q328: Is there any difference in the EPH between a "psionic character" and a "manifester?" If so, what is it?

Q329: Is there any way for this character to acquire powers, even with the specific goal of using them for item creation?

Q330: More broadly, is there any use for this pool of power points at all? The soulknife's psionic feats don't use power points.

I've pored carefully over the EPH and the descriptions of the Kalashtar in the Eberron campaign book, Races of Eberron, and the Complete Psionic, and other than clumsy, obvious solutions like taking a level in Psion I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance.

Anxe
2007-10-17, 11:21 PM
A328

A psionic character is one with power points. A manifester is one with a manifester level. Like a caster level, but for psionics.

A330

Having 1 power point lets you choose psionic feats and have a psionic focus, but has no other real benefit.

don't know the answer to Q329 though... Phrenic Template?

Alleine
2007-10-17, 11:56 PM
Q 331

What is the craft DC for a masterwork item made with Fabricate, just 20?
Do you need a masterwork component for it?

Chineselegolas
2007-10-18, 12:01 AM
Q 332

Can a 'Primeval' (Frostburn, pg 65) take 'Extra Wild Shape' (Complete Divine, pg 81) to gain additional uses of its Primeval form, as Wild-shape can be used to assume Primeval form (but not the other way)

squishycube
2007-10-18, 12:17 AM
A332
By RAW, no. But only because CD came out before FB, so CD doesn't 'know' about Primeval form. It would be a reasonable houserule to allow this. (Just like with sneak attack, sudden strike and skirmish damage.)

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-18, 01:14 AM
Q 333

I'm not sure if Evangelist is the name of the PrC I am looking for, but I need to know if it has any feat prereqs. I'm thinking of the Perform: Oratory PrC that eventually gives a supped-up Fire Shield spell to all allies (that class feature being the one I want on my pyrokineticist).

Never mind, I was able to google the prereqs.

Alveanerle
2007-10-18, 02:28 AM
Q. 333

Disarming performed with natural weapon - say a golem's slam - is it treated as unarmed disarm or a melee weapon one?

Q. 334

Can one ready a partial charge?

Q. 335

Someone (A) with reach of 10ft is standing at the outside edge of a fog, can see only 5ft into it, and notices an opponent (B) emerging from the deep inside of the fog into the fog-edge square that is threatened by him.

:smalltongue: - fog
:smallfurious: - A
:smallcool: - B

Before: :smalltongue: :smalltongue: :smallfurious:
After: :smalltongue: :smallcool: :smallfurious:

Would A get an Attack of Opportunity for the B's movement?

Q. 336

The damage from persistant area effects like cloudkill - when is the damage dealt? At the moment of casting and then on caster's turn in each consecutive rounds, or at the beggining of the turn of each victim inside the effect?

Q. 337

A has readied action to do something when B's group moves. B has readied action when anyone in A's group moves. Someone in B's group, lets call him C, claps his hands. What happens now? A would trigger his action now, which would trigger B now, right?
So is it "B acts, A acts, C claps his hands"?

Alveanerle
2007-10-18, 02:38 AM
Q. 338
What happens if i do a successful bull rush versus someone but there's some other folk standing right behind him?

Are there any feats/class_features that help in such situations?

Jasdoif
2007-10-18, 03:00 AM
A333

If you're using a natural weapon, you're probably considered to be using a weapon; thus I'd say the weapon ends up on the ground.

A334

Yes, but only if you would normally be allowed to make a partial charge in the round when you ready the action.

A335

No. If A can only see 5 feet into the fog, then B has total concealment to A when B provokes the AoO by moving. You can't make an attack of opportunity against a foe with total concealment.

A336 maybe

I believe the spell's effect takes place during your turn each round. I can't find any evidence to support this though, so I may be mistaken.

A337

The FAQ talks about AoOs provoking AoOs, I believe the same thing would apply to readied actions triggering readied actions:
Is it possible for an attack of opportunity to provoke an attack of opportunity? For example, a fighter attempts to trip a cleric. The cleric chooses to make a sunder attack against the fighter’s weapon as his attack of opportunity. Does the sunder attack then provoke an attack of opportunity from the fighter?

Yes. An attack of opportunity is adjudicated just like any other attack, and it is subject to the same rules (including provoking additional attacks of opportunity). This can lead to odd situations where as the reason for the original action no longer exists. If this starts to confuse you, just remember that D&D combat is an abstract representation of battle, and not necessarily a precise second-by-second representation of every maneuver. Even the “sequential” nature of D&D combat—I make my attacks, then you make your attacks, then I make my attacks, and so forth—is an artificial creation used to keep combat moving quickly.

Using the example you provide, the fighter is indeed allowed to make an attack of opportunity against the cleric. (This attack could, in turn, provoke yet another attack of opportunity from the cleric, but the cleric could make such an attack only if he were allowed more than one attack of opportunity in a single round.)

These attacks are performed in a “Last In, First Out” sequence. The last attack of opportunity declared is the first one resolved, with the remaining attacks resolved in reverse order of their declaration, assuming the character can still make the attack. If the fighter drops the cleric with his attack of opportunity, the rest of the attacks in the sequence—including the cleric’s attack of opportunity and the fighter’s original trip attack—do not occur. The actions are still “spent,” however— the fighter doesn’t get to use that original attack on some other target (although if he has other attacks remaining he may take them as normal).

So yes, I believe "B acts, A acts, C acts" is the sequence involved.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-18, 04:21 AM
A. 331

The description of Fabricate basically suggests that you use the normal crafting rules and to make a masterwork item you need both the masterwork component and the normal item, so you have to have raw materials covering the cost of both and need to make the DC 20 craft check for the MW component and the craft check for the normal item.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-18, 04:25 AM
A. 336 Continued

Spell effects with a duration take place on the initiative count they are cast and on the same count each subsequent round if the have a duration and a non-constant effect, , unless otherwise noted.

This typically means that the result of the effect is determined right before the caster's turn each round for the duration of the spell, but the caster could later have his/her initiative change, which would not change when the effect takes place.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-18, 04:33 AM
A. 338

The RAW does not go into detail about what happens when creatures are forced to occupy the same space, but the FAQ has made a few suggestions about what could happen in similar situations.

Otherwise I suggest you start a new thread for it if you are looking for suggestions to how to house rule such a situation.

Mavian
2007-10-18, 05:32 AM
A 338. Re: Feats
The tactical feat Shock Trooper has a maneuver called Domino Rush.

When you bullrush an opponent into a square containing another opponent, you get a free trip attempt against both of them, and they can't trip you.

Partysan
2007-10-18, 10:38 AM
Q 339

Can you take Weapon Focus (light shield) and does an enhancement bonus on a shield give its bonus on the shield bash attack and damage?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-18, 11:18 AM
A. 339

Yes, shields are listed as martial weapons, so Weapon Focus would benefit the shield user for attacking purposes.

Enhancement bonuses to AC does not provide the bonus to attack and damage, but the Bashing special ability does.

The weapon properties of a shield can be enhanced separately as a normal weapon.

Shields: Shield enhancement bonuses stack with armor enhancement bonuses. Shield enhancement bonuses do not act as attack or damage bonuses when the shield is used in a bash. The bashing special ability, however, does grant a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls (see the special ability description). A shield could be built that also acted as a magic weapon, but the cost of the enhancement bonus on attack rolls would need to be added into the cost of the shield and its enhancement bonus to AC.

Bashing: A shield with this special ability is designed to perform a shield bash. A bashing shield deals damage as if it were a weapon of two size categories larger (a Medium light shield thus deals 1d6 points of damage and a Medium heavy shield deals 1d8 points of damage). The shield acts as a +1 weapon when used to bash. (Only light and heavy shields can have this ability.)

Moderate transmutation; CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, bull’s strength; Price +1 bonus.

Shield Bash Attacks: You can bash an opponent with a light shield, using it as an off-hand weapon. See Table: Weapons for the damage dealt by a shield bash. Used this way, a light shield is a martial bludgeoning weapon. For the purpose of penalties on attack rolls, treat a light shield as a light weapon. If you use your shield as a weapon, you lose its AC bonus until your next action (usually until the next round). An enhancement bonus on a shield does not improve the effectiveness of a shield bash made with it, but the shield can be made into a magic weapon in its own right.

Shield Spikes: When added to your shield, these spikes turn it into a martial piercing weapon that increases the damage dealt by a shield bash as if the shield were designed for a creature one size category larger than you. You can’t put spikes on a buckler or a tower shield. Otherwise, attacking with a spiked shield is like making a shield bash attack (see above). An enhancement bonus on a spiked shield does not improve the effectiveness of a shield bash made with it, but a spiked shield can be made into a magic weapon in its own right.

Enlong
2007-10-18, 04:41 PM
Q. 340

Not sure if this question is for this thread but... when using Rich's Champion Class (found under this board's Gaming Articles), does one roll separate starting stats for both Champion and Avatar forms?

Jasdoif
2007-10-18, 04:48 PM
A340

No. As mentioned in the class description, when you take the first level the avatar has the same ability scores as the champion, although not necessarily in the same order (modifiers for race do stay on the same ability score, however). Then you distribute an extra four points among the ability scores as you see fit.

The Extinguisher
2007-10-18, 06:35 PM
Q 341

Are Prestige Classes included in the Monk's and Paladin's and etc multiclass restrictions? Can a monk take a Prestige Class and then go back to Monk?

Curmudgeon
2007-10-18, 06:40 PM
Q 341

Can a monk take a Prestige Class and then go back to Monk?
A 341 Only if the prestige class explicitly allows this.

cupkeyk
2007-10-18, 06:40 PM
Q 341

Are Prestige Classes included in the Monk's and Paladin's and etc multiclass restrictions? Can a monk take a Prestige Class and then go back to Monk?

No, only certain PrC's allow Paladins and Monks to multiclass freely, eg. Drunken Fist for Monk, Cavalier for Paladin. It's in the PrC's Class Description.

Q342

Whip: A whip deals nonlethal damage. It deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher. The whip is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, though you don’t threaten the area into which you can make an attack. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, you can use it against foes anywhere within your reach (including adjacent foes).

Using a whip provokes an attack of opportunity, just as if you had used a ranged weapon.

You can make trip attacks with a whip. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the whip to avoid being tripped.

When using a whip, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an opponent (including the roll to keep from being disarmed if the attack fails).

You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a whip sized for you, even though it isn’t a light weapon for you.

Given the simile, can I use an ability that prevents AoO's from using ranged weapons in melee to prevent AoO's from whips? E.G. Exotic Weapon Master.

Anxe
2007-10-18, 10:35 PM
A342

Yes. Not much else to say here...

theterran
2007-10-19, 10:17 AM
Q 343

Can a monk use a gauntlet as a weapon and still gain the monk's bonuses to unarmed strikes since a gauntlet is considered unarmed, or is it?

Yvanehtnioj
2007-10-19, 11:46 AM
Q 344:

Concerning the spell, "Energy Vortex," found in the Spell Compendium on p.81.

When normally cast, you pick an energy type (acid, cold, elec, or fire,) and it deals damage as a sphere of radius 20ft, centered on you, to things other than yourself.

It also has an auxillary (i.e. another) option when cast, and it is here that I get confused. The spell says that if you are willing to take "the damage" yourself, you may deal 2x the normal amount of damage in your energy burst. (The area affected remains unchanged.)

I understand the doubling of the damage dice. That's easy. But, if you do opt for this auxillary casting option, what "amount" of damage are you, the caster, taking?

So,
1) Normal casting = normal dmg in the burst, and zero of it to you.
2) Auxillary casting = 2x normal dmg in the burst, and (??) of it to you.

Which means either it's:
2a) (??) = the normal dmg in the burst; everything else takes the 2x.
2b) (??) = the 2x amount; everything else still takes the 2x.

Jasdoif
2007-10-19, 11:59 AM
A343

This has been debated a lot...the FAQ seems to think so, however.
Can a monk treat an attack with a gauntlet as an unarmed strike?

A monk could wear such an item and treat it as an unarmed strike (since the Player’s Handbook says that “a strike with a gauntlet is . . . considered an unarmed attack”), although the damage dealt by the gauntlet would always be considered lethal damage (as noted in the gauntlet entry) and the monk would suffer a nonproficiency penalty (since the gauntlet is a simple weapon). The monk could even use gauntlet attacks as part of a flurry of blows.(It may be worth noting that the last sentence, about flurry of blows, has contention with the FAQ question immediately preceding it)

A344 probably

While I don't have the spell text in question, "the damage" almost certainly refers to you taking the burst's final, doubled damage. If it didn't, it should've said something along the lines of taking the burst's base damage.

squidthingy
2007-10-19, 08:30 PM
Q345

how many attacks would a character get if they full attack and have a bse attack bonus of +6

Winged One
2007-10-19, 08:33 PM
A 345
The character would get 2 attacks, the second at a -5 penalty compared to the first, barring fighting with multiple weapons, Haste, a monk's Flurry of Blows, or some other effect that grants additional attacks.

gerunding
2007-10-19, 11:11 PM
Q 346

A. If a lvl 10 sorceress were to polymorph into a 10-headed hydra, would she be able to attack with 10 bites as a standard or full round action, like the hydra?

B. If the same sorceress polymorphed into an annis hag, thus changing her size from M to L, would she be able to continue wearing her magical gear (bracers, rings, etc.) in this new, roughly humanoid, form?

C. Are any of the annis hag's 3 listed feats--alertness, blindfight, great fortitude--considered "racial bonus feats" and granted to the polymorphed sorceress?

gerunding
2007-10-19, 11:16 PM
Q 347

The spell, baleful polymorph, has different rules text in the PHB 3.5 and the SRD--which is right? How does the will save work?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-20, 04:07 AM
A. 346

A.

Standard action, just like the Hydra.

B.

Yes, the items would resize to fit the new form.

C.

They are not bonus feats.

Bonus feats are denote with a "(B)". The three feats listed in the Annis Hag entry are all a result of HD.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-20, 04:26 AM
A. 347

Without knowing exactly what SRD you are looking at my guess is that you are looking at an unofficial version that already has incorporated the most recent errata or is trying to explain how things work.

The official SRD from www.wotc.com is identical to the PHB version and does not include the latest errata.

Errata, according to which you make the will save after 24 hours, can be found on Wizards' site.

Quietus
2007-10-20, 06:58 AM
Q 348

Is there a feat or ability out there that'll let me give up all my off-hand TWF attacks in exchange for defense?

TomTheRat
2007-10-20, 02:58 PM
Q349

What book do I find the rules for creating +skill items? Or even costs? In the DMG they have very little for getting +spellcraft items. Do I use analogous items?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-20, 03:06 PM
A. 349

The DMG magic item creation guidelines suggest that you pay the "bonus squared x 100 gp" for a competence bonus to skills just like the bonus to other skills are calculated. (If the bonus is above +30 the item becomes Epic according to the Epic Level Handbook.)

These are of course just guidelines. I am pretty sure you can find a few items that grant a bonus to spellcraft in the various published books. Magic Item Compendium, Complete Arcane, Complete Mage etc.

TomTheRat
2007-10-20, 03:19 PM
Q350

What are the rules for using Sudden X Metamagic Feats with the Incantatrix's Cooperative Metamagic level 2 ability?

EDIT: Is it as unbelievably broken as I suspect?

Dhavaer
2007-10-20, 05:10 PM
Q351

The sickening touch reserve feat from Complete Mage says '...any living creature you hit with a melee touch attack...'. Does this mean you don't need to make a touch attack just for the feat; it can 'piggyback' on another touch attack?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-20, 06:20 PM
A. 350

The limitation on uses per day on the Sudden metamagic feat would still apply, but otherwise they can be applied as often as Cooperative Metamagic allows at no DC increase.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-20, 06:25 PM
A. 351

No, unless otherwise stated the Reserve Feats are supernatural abilities that require a standard action to use.

Josh the Aspie
2007-10-20, 09:43 PM
There are feats to combine levels of ranger with scout, paladin, or monk levels for certain benefits.
There are feats to combine rogue levels with scout, paladin, monk, and ninja levels for certain benefits.
Are there any feats which allow you to combine Rogue and Ranger? I could have sworn there was.

Lemur
2007-10-20, 09:51 PM
A. 352

No, although there is a feat, Daring Outlaw, that lets you combine rogue and swashbuckler levels (a full BAB class).

Darkantra
2007-10-21, 01:26 AM
Q. 353

Is there any specific supplement or good site that has a comprehensive list of each crafting skill and the use thereof. For some reason every other skill worked its way into the Rules Compendium but crafting didn't.

gerunding
2007-10-21, 02:11 AM
Q 354

When making a touch attack through a spectral hand, do you make a ranged touch attack or a melee touch attack (i.e., do you use dex or str to modify the attack roll)?

Jasdoif
2007-10-21, 02:46 AM
A354

You make a melee touch attack roll, with a +2 bonus as mentioned in spectral hand (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spectralHand.htm)'s text.

cupkeyk
2007-10-21, 04:26 AM
Q355
Sorry n00b question, to which value does the -5 get deducted from when including natural attacks to your full attack get subtracted? If you have two natural attacks, will the second one get a minus ten?

Say fr instance my Kobold Paladin of Tyranny, Rogue, Fighter, Monk with 17 bab, the entire twf tree, Strength Devotion, The web enhancement variant for claw bite and unarmed strike and snap kick makes a flurryng full attack as such:

short sword(primary), unarmed (twf), unarmed (snapkick), unarmed(flurry) shortsword, unarmed(itwf), shortsword, unarmed (gtwf), shortsword, claw, bite slam.

what are the modifiers for each attack?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-21, 04:34 AM
A. 355 Partial

If natural weapons are used as part of a full attack where you also use attacks derived from BAB all the natural weapons are treated as secondary attacks and all attacks with natural weapons will be made at -5, regardless of the number of natural weapons you have.

I am sorry, but I don't have time to do a full attack statblock for you example right now.

squishycube
2007-10-21, 05:16 AM
Q. 353

Is there any specific supplement or good site that has a comprehensive list of each crafting skill and the use thereof. For some reason every other skill worked its way into the Rules Compendium but crafting didn't.
Not Quite A353
Not that I know of, but I don't really see the use either. Just think of something you'd like to be able to craft, using the examples as a guideline to what is reasonably possible.

squidthingy
2007-10-21, 10:24 AM
Q356

What would be the base land speed of a human barbarian wearing full plate, carring a light load, I thinks it's 20 but would fast movement effect it at all

Hannes
2007-10-21, 10:26 AM
A. 356

Fast Movement (Ex)

A barbarian’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the barbarian’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn.

Emphasis mine. The speed would be 20 feet.

squidthingy
2007-10-21, 10:32 AM
A. 356

Fast Movement (Ex)

A barbarian’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the barbarian’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn.

Emphasis mine. The speed would be 20 feet.

but what does it mean by \/?

Fast Movement (Ex)

thanks in advance

Akennedy
2007-10-21, 10:43 AM
Q: 357
If someone has a natural attack and a unnatural weapon of sorts (say a greatsword), is he allowed to attack with the greatsword and use the natural weapon as a "secondary" attack (with a -5 penalty)?
In case anyone is curious, I am using the totemist class from MoI.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-21, 12:02 PM
A. 356 Continued

A barbarian is allowed to wear medium armor and carry a medium load, which also reduces speed, and still benefit from Fast Movement.

The line you bolded becomes relevant in such a situation.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-21, 12:07 PM
A. 357

Generally yes, but it depends on the natural weapon.
If you have claws or a slam attack that uses the arms and are wielding a manufactured weapon you cannot also make natural weapon attacks.

If you have two claws and are wielding a longsword in one of them you can make attacks derived from BAB with the longsword and still use the empty claw in a full attack.

If you have a bite and two claws;
you can make a claw and a bite attack while wielding a one-handed weapon
or
a bite attack while wielding a two-handed weapon.

I hope that clears it up.

Threeshades
2007-10-21, 01:00 PM
Q. 358
If a monster, such as a half dragon has two natural attacks of the same kind, like two claws, and takes the Improved Natural Attack feat, does the feat count for both claws or does the character have to choose it twice, once for each claw?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-21, 04:21 PM
A. 358

It applies to all natural weapons of the same kind; in this case both claws.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-21, 05:25 PM
A 358 Supplemental

ISince it is simply "Improved Natural Attack (claws)," it even applies in different forms. So a Half-Dragon with Improved Naturala Attack (claws) would retain the benefits of the feat if it were polymorphed into another creature with claw attacks.

Jasdoif
2007-10-21, 05:32 PM
Q359

Lava Effects

Lava or magma deals 2d6 points of damage per round of exposure, except in the case of total immersion (such as when a character falls into the crater of an active volcano), which deals 20d6 points of damage per round.

Damage from magma continues for 1d3 rounds after exposure ceases, but this additional damage is only half of that dealt during actual contact (that is, 1d6 or 10d6 points per round).

An immunity or resistance to fire serves as an immunity to lava or magma. However, a creature immune to fire might still drown if completely immersed in lava (see Drowning, below).Is this just poor wording, or does this mean that fire resistance grants immunity to damage from lava/magma exposure?

cupkeyk
2007-10-21, 05:42 PM
Q360
Can you please name the page and number where it says that creatures immune to sneak attack are also immune to ambush feats?

Thanks.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-21, 05:48 PM
A. 359

Very poor wording. :smallsigh:
RAI: "or resistance" should be added after the second "immunity".

RAW: Fire Resistance 5 is great for a nice warm bath in lava! :smalleek:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-21, 05:55 PM
A. 360

Complete Scoundrel.

Beginning of the feat section where Ambush feats are described. (Page 71-73 I am guessing)

I am AFB at the momenet, so the exact page number will have to wait.

Hope you can find it though.

Hyozo
2007-10-21, 07:53 PM
Q.361

Let's assume that bob the hypothetical is a Dread Necromancer 2/Warlock3. How does his DR stack? (Dread Necromancer 2 gives DR 2/Bludgeoning and magic, Warlock 3 gives DR 1/cold iron) Also, what happens if something with DR #/bludgeoning gains DR #/slashing?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-21, 08:11 PM
A 361

DR does not stack. It overlaps, so you use the best available value.

Bob the Dread Necromancer 2/Warlock 3 has DR 2/bludgeoning and magic and 1/cold iron. If hit with a normal weapon, the DR 2/bludgeoning and magic is applied and Bob takes two less damage from the attack.

If Bob is hit with a standard steel heavy mace +1, the attack overcomes the DR 2/bludgeoning and magic but not the DR 1/cold iron. So Bob would take 1 less damage from the attack.

Now, if hit with a cold iron heavy mace +1, the attack overcomes both forms of damage reduction, and Bob takes full damage.

A creature with DR #/slashing and DR #/bludgeoning works the same way. If hit with a sword, the DR #/bludgeoning applies. If hit with a mace, the DR #/slashing applies. If hit with an arrow, the higher value applies. Note that some attacks are capable of dealing both slashing and bludgeoning damage at the same time (the most common being bite attacks (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monsterTypes.html#natural-weapons)).

Source: SRD:Special Abilities and Conditions:Damage Reduction (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/abilitiesAndConditions.html#damage-reduction)

Alleine
2007-10-21, 08:17 PM
Q 362

Are there any tables for what stat bonuses creatures of different sizes get? I found the one for next size bigger, but I'm looking for smaller and that increased size table is confusing when being read essentially backwards.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-21, 08:47 PM
A 362

Ability score modifiers are based purely upon race, not size. However, "Table 5—1: Creature Size, Ability Scores, and Damage" on page 296 of Monster Manual, Core Rulebook III v.3.5 does list suggested physical ability score ranges for creatures based upon size. Note that these are just typical limits. There are plenty of creatures whose scores fall outside of the given ranges.

Kellus
2007-10-21, 08:52 PM
Q363.

The dragon shaman (PHBII) gets a bonus to draconic auras at levels 1, 5, 10, 15, and 20.

The draconic aura feat (Dragon Magic) with the dragontouched feat gives an aura which starts at +1 and increases at levels 7, 14, and 20.

How do these apply to each other? If a 20th level dragon shaman has the feat, is the bonus to all her auras +5 or +9, or is her bonus for her class auras +5 and her feat aura +4?

Burgo McSock
2007-10-21, 10:42 PM
Q364.
What is a swift action and how does it fit in with a standard round?

Jasdoif
2007-10-21, 10:50 PM
A364

A swift action is similar to a free action, except it takes more effort. You can take a single swift action during your turn, which doesn't interfere with your ability to take move/standard/full-round actions.

A swift action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. You can perform one swift action per turn without affecting your ability to perform other actions. In that regard, a swift action is like a free action. However, you can perform only a single swift action per turn, regardless of what other actions you take. You can take a swift action any time you would normally be allowed to take a free action. Swift actions usually involve spellcasting or the activation of magic items; many characters (especially those who don't cast spells) never have an opportunity to take a swift action.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-22, 03:48 AM
A. 363

The aura bonuses do not stack. You would have a +5 to auras from your class and +4 from the feat.

pantoffelheld
2007-10-22, 07:47 AM
Q. 365

Is there any way to gain a greater range increment to thrown weapons (in this case; daggers) without having to pay 2000GP per dagger for the distance-ability every time?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-22, 08:41 AM
A. 365

Yes, Far Shot from the PHB will double your range increment.

kjones
2007-10-22, 02:28 PM
Q. 366

With the Dire Weasel's Attach ability, does it still get to make attacks when attached, or does it just sit there and drain Con?

squishycube
2007-10-22, 02:36 PM
Not Really A366
It doesn't say, so a DM could rule either way. I'd say it wouldn't make any sense if the weasel couldn't attack while attached, because biting is all it can do...

squidthingy
2007-10-22, 08:00 PM
Q 367

what's the standard starting gold for an ECL 6 character

Jasdoif
2007-10-22, 08:25 PM
A367

An ECL 6 character has the starting gold for a level 6 character, or 13,000gp. This is one of the few instances where LA provides a benefit.

The complete (pre-epic) wealth-by-level table is on page 135 in the DMG.

Reinboom
2007-10-22, 11:08 PM
Q 368
Can you keep delaying your round in order to not make swim checks/checks to hold you breath?

gareth
2007-10-23, 12:11 AM
Question 369
If a cleric with the Law and Good Domains summons a Lawful Good creature, is the spell cast at +2 caster level?

Jasdoif
2007-10-23, 12:16 AM
A368

No. You can only delay your turn, and even then only as long as until your initiative count in the next round. Either way, time marches on, and rounds march on with it; you still have to make per round checks...per round.

A369

Yes. Each domain grants you an untyped +1 bonus to CL on appropriate spells, and untyped bonuses stack.

cupkeyk
2007-10-23, 10:56 AM
Q370

Would the races of the dragon web enhancement variant kobold with slight build (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) be able to apply weapon finesse AND double his attack penalty to damage via power attack with a tiny longsword(considered one handed for tiny, light for small)? There was a dragon magazine with a table on what size category of creature can treat a weapon as light, one handed or two handed and it seems to apply to this variant kobold.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-23, 12:32 PM
A. 370

Probably not. The Slight Build description does not go into detail, it just says that it removes the penalty (-2), not that it can treat the weapon as both light and one-handed.

A kobold can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty.

cupkeyk
2007-10-23, 12:54 PM
Q371

My interpretation of this feat was contested, they said if I was right, it was a broken feat: The feat Combat Acrobat from PH2, lets you counter a trip attempt or an overrun/trample attempt with a balance check and run the twenty feet running start so you can run and jump across your entire movement rate's coverage, avoiding all hazardous terrain penalties to speed.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-23, 01:07 PM
A. 371

The feat description seems reasonably clear.

You can avoid falling prone with a successful balance check and you can treat 4 squares of difficult terrain as normal terrain for movement purposes with a successful balance check.

Morbius
2007-10-23, 07:15 PM
Q372

A duskblade can only cast spells from the table on page 24 on the PHB II? Is there any other source that increases this list?

XiaoTie
2007-10-23, 08:08 PM
Q. 373

Can Skirmish (from the Scout class) work with ranged weapons, such as bows ?

Neftren
2007-10-23, 08:09 PM
A. 373

Yes, I think that was the main idea of the scout's combat style. Sort of a hit and run attack from medium range or so.

Gralamin
2007-10-23, 08:53 PM
A367

An ECL 6 character has the starting gold for a level 6 character, or 13,000gp. This is one of the few instances where LA provides a benefit.

The complete (pre-epic) wealth-by-level table is on page 135 in the DMG.

A 367 cont'd
Unfortunately, All Wealth-by level information, including level 1 starting wealth, is not Open Gaming Content.

Balkash
2007-10-23, 09:49 PM
Q 374

A character's dexterity modifier is added to their AC. So lets say that a character has a -3 dexterity modifier. If that character was caught flat-footed (say, at the start of combat), would that mean that since they technically lose their dexterity modifier, they would be better (have a higher AC) when they were flat-footed?

Jasdoif
2007-10-23, 09:51 PM
A374

No. You only lose your Dexterity bonus to AC. You retain a Dexterity penalty.

Alleine
2007-10-23, 09:52 PM
Q 375

How do you figure the pricing for an unusual mount, such as a dire weasel?

squishycube
2007-10-24, 12:46 AM
Q372

A duskblade can only cast spells from the table on page 24 on the PHB II? Is there any other source that increases this list?
I do well on the incomplete answers lately, but here goes...
A372 Partly
If I recall correctly, the Spell Compendium has a few. The total number of spells is still very low and it even says you should probably exchange spells on the list, not add ones. (If there are no Duskblade spells in the SC, then this text is not there either. Read it somewhere though...)

A375
DM's decision, probably using other special mount prices as a guideline.

Curmudgeon
2007-10-24, 04:52 AM
Q372

A duskblade can only cast spells from the table on page 24 on the PHB II? Is there any other source that increases this list? A 372

Players Handbook II came out about half a year after Spell Compendium, so there aren't any Duskblade spells in SC. But Forge of War has
New Duskblade Spells[PH2]

2nd Level
Swift Ready: Enchant armor and weapons so that they appear on you instantly when you wish.

4th Level
Fracturing Weapon: Enchant a weapon so it bestows penalties to AC and DR when it strikes.

Mavian
2007-10-24, 05:23 AM
Q376

How does the changeling wizards substitution ability Dual Specialization (Races of Eberron) interact with the Immediate Magic substitution (PHB2), and the Master Specialist class(Complete Mage). Both of them state you gain abilities based on your chosen school. So would you get the abilities of both schools, or only one?

squishycube
2007-10-24, 08:41 AM
A376
Gut and grammatical response: school, not schools. Therefore they would apply to only one of them.

loopy
2007-10-24, 10:00 AM
Q377

How does the Assassin PrC calculate caster level/get spells? Please provide an example. Thanks in advance.

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-24, 11:03 AM
Q377

How does the Assassin PrC calculate caster level/get spells? Please provide an example. Thanks in advance.

A377

The Assassin PrC get's its own independant caster level.

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/assassin.html

As illustrated, the class gets new spells known per level and spells per day based upon Assassin level. It is possible that via a different prestige class, a character could increase his Assassin caster level.

Spells: Beginning at 1st level, an assassin gains the ability to cast a number of arcane spells. To cast a spell, an assassin must have an Intelligence score of at least 10 + the spell’s level, so an assassin with an Intelligence of 10 or lower cannot cast these spells. Assassin bonus spells are based on Intelligence, and saving throws against these spells have a DC of 10 + spell level + the assassin's Intelligence bonus. When the assassin gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level he gains only the bonus spells he would be entitled to based on his Intelligence score for that spell level.

The assassin's spell list appears below. An assassin casts spells just as a bard does.

Upon reaching 6th level, at every even-numbered level after that (8th and 10th), an assassin can choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows. The new spell's level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level assassin spell the assassin can cast. An assassin may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains new spells known for that level.

Thyatira3902
2007-10-24, 12:58 PM
Q.378
If you have two claw attacks, and a bite attack, and you're using a short sword, if you make a full round attack, which attacks could you use?

Darius
2007-10-24, 12:59 PM
Q 379

Say one is in an arena complete with pillars and other obstacles one could hide behind or use as cover. After all surprise is over, for the combatants saw each other and attacked, both are in full view of each other with Line of Sight (LoS).

Can one combatant use cover to hide and deny the DEX bonus of the other by moving behind a pillar (to hide) and coming out the other side and make a ranged attack?

The reason why I ask is regarding the Hide skill and whether or not it allows one to deny Dex bonuses.

Here is some relevant information and part of an arguement:

I quoted the Hide skill part:

If people are observing you, even casually, you can’t hide. You can run around a corner or behind cover so that you’re out of sight and then hide, but the others then know at least where you went.

Simply because one has part of a move behind the wall, doesn't obfuscate the fact that he was seen jumping behind the wall.

Skip Williams has a number of articles about Dexterity Denial. Here is one:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040224a

One point I want to highlight that Skip Williams said was:
On the other hand, it's only total concealment that interferes with Dexterity bonuses to Armor Class.

Even sniping in the PH talks about needing to conceal oneself which is NOT cover. If all one needed was cover that blocked LoS as part of movement, then all one would need to do is put a pillar between him and his opponent and use his movement to move from one end of the pillar to the other firing away claiming that LoS was broken during the move and saying that Dex bonus is denied.

As per what he said and RAW, the only time one gets DEX denial is when facing someone who is totally concealed (Invisible, in bushes, in total darkness, those types of things). Using cover to hide does not conceal you, for once you show yourself (namely, pop up or around a corner), your opponent sees you and can react. You can hide, yes, but once one exposes oneself to make an attack, the attacked can see them due to the nature of LoS.

Page 152 of PH under total concealment:

If you have Line of Effect to a target but not Line of Sight, he is considered to have total concealment.

If an opponent is hiding without total concealment, then LoE and LoS still exist, thus no total concealment. He is simply hidden (but the lines may still be drawn as seen on PH p139). Even under Line of Sight on page 310 of PH, the only times one cannot see someone else is when they are invisible or you are blind. <---these were both said by Skip Williams in the articles I posted earlier.

A follow-up question may come after this is answered. Thanks for your consideration.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-24, 01:00 PM
A. 378 (The first)

Sword, one Claw and Bite.

Both the claw and the bite becomes secondary attacks.

Jasdoif
2007-10-24, 01:07 PM
A379

According to the FAQ, you're considered "invisible" to a foe you've successfully hidden from, a condition that denies Dex to AC.

If a rogue has successfully hidden behind some bushes and fires an arrow at a target less than 30 feet away from her, does she deal sneak attack damage?

Yes.

The rules don’t come right out and say this, but a character who has successfully hidden from an opponent is considered invisible for the purpose of rendering that foe flat-footed, and thus deals sneak attack damage.However, if you come out on the other side of the column into the open, you're no longer hidden, so this no longer applies.

Darius
2007-10-24, 01:26 PM
Thanks!

Follow-up question 380:

Do you think the FAQ means to say, "denied DEX bonus," instead of "flat-footed?" Simply because the only means to be flat-footed that I have located are: surprise round, when climbing, or when balancing.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-24, 01:29 PM
A. 380

There are a few other ways, but invisibility is not one of them, so yes, "denied dex" is what the FAQ meant to say. (We hope :smallsigh: )

Jasdoif
2007-10-24, 01:32 PM
A380

Most likely.

However, it makes little difference unless a special effect specifically relies on a foe being flat-footed: Being flat-footed means you don't get your Dex bonus to AC and you're unable to make attacks of opportunity; and total concealment (such as that provided by being invisible) negates these as well.

Darius
2007-10-24, 01:42 PM
A380

Most likely.

However, it makes little difference unless a special effect specifically relies on a foe being flat-footed: Being flat-footed means you don't get your Dex bonus to AC and you're unable to make attacks of opportunity; and total concealment (such as that provided by being invisible) negates these as well.

But it does make a difference for immediate actions - thus the question.

Jasdoif
2007-10-24, 01:56 PM
But it does make a difference for immediate actions - thus the question.I don't see how being considered flat-footed only against a single opponent could interfere with your own ability to take immediate actions.

Hmm. Come to think of it, nothing in RAW suggests that invisibility causes a flat-footed condition, anyway. So it's just a terminology error on the FAQ's part.

cupkeyk
2007-10-24, 02:11 PM
Q381

Since you cover half your horizontal movement vertically on a long jump, could you make a DC 30 jump check and combine Leap attack with Battle Jump from Unapproachable East?

Q382

Can you charge and spring attack back away in the same round?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-24, 02:21 PM
A. 381

No, you are not considered dropping down when jumping horizontally.

A. 382

No, Charge is a s special full round action and cannot be combined with Spring Attack.

cupkeyk
2007-10-24, 06:53 PM
Q382

How many rounds does it take for combat to be exhausting? Meaning that they will have to start making Constitution checks to avoid non lethal damage or fatigue?

squidthingy
2007-10-24, 08:12 PM
Q 383

Lets say a prerequsite for a PrC is base attack bonus +6, will a fighter be able to take this feat upon reaching 6th level(5 levels of fighter+1 level of PrC) or will he have to wait until level 7

Douglas
2007-10-24, 08:50 PM
A382
RAW is silent on this subject.

A383
He would have to wait until level 7. In the levelup process outlined in the PHB, choose class is the very first step and you have to satisfy all prerequisites at that point, before you get any of the benefits of the new level.

Tyrael
2007-10-24, 09:10 PM
Q384
According to the Weapon And Armor Proficiency heading of the Monk class, Monks are not proficient with their own unarmed strikes. Is this true?

Alleine
2007-10-24, 09:34 PM
Q 385

Are a monster's spell-like abilities usable at will unless otherwise stated?

Jasdoif
2007-10-24, 10:07 PM
A384

This is correct. Monks do not gain proficency with all simple weapons, nor do they have specific proficency with unarmed strikes in particular. It's generally believed to be an oversight.

A385

I don't think there's actually a default for the usability of spell-like abilities, an at-will ability needs to specify that it's usable at will.

Darkantra
2007-10-24, 11:27 PM
Q. 386 (back to Q. 372)

The PH2 states that Duskblade spells are drawn from their specific list later on in the book, but in the Advancement description the book recommends that players should learn spells that don't appear on the list, such as shocking grasp, expedious retreat and true strike and even their character examples have a few of those spells. Has there been a concrete ruling on what spells a duskblade can learn?

Jasdoif
2007-10-25, 12:14 AM
A386

Shocking grasp, swift expeditious retreat and true strike all appear on the Duskblade's spell list. The complete Duskblade spell list is on page 24.

The list of duskblade spells on pages 98-99 only lists the spells that are presented in PHBII.

Greyen
2007-10-25, 02:59 AM
Q 387
My current Dm is a stickler for details. Like number of spell components you actually carry with you.

I do not want to spend a feat on Eschew Material, nor do I want to waste a slot on the Summon Component spell, or whatever its called (Complete Mage I think). Instead I would like to create a magical Never ending spell component pouch that works with in the rules. I am no good at making magic items. But can you check my math on this one.

Ok level 1 spell - CL1 - at will - class ability required =cost

So (1 x 1 x 2000) x .7 = 1400gp for an at will less than 1 gp material component producer

Curmudgeon
2007-10-25, 03:38 AM
Q 387
My current Dm is a stickler for details. Like number of spell components you actually carry with you.

A 387 All your needs are contained here, for 5 gp and 2 lbs.:
Spell Component Pouch

A spellcaster with a spell component pouch is assumed to have all the material components and focuses needed for spellcasting, except for those components that have a specific cost, divine focuses, and focuses that wouldn’t fit in a pouch. Since most of these components are things that you can pick up in your travels (an eyelash, a pinch of dirt, and the like), most DMs assume you replenish your pouch as you go. If not, ask your DM how long you can go before you need to buy a new pouch.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-25, 03:43 AM
A. 387

Pricing such an item is outside the scope of this thread.

The guidelines are just that; guidelines. In your example the spell has a duration measured in rounds so that mean you would have to multiply the cost by 4.

The important thing to remember is that:

Not all items adhere to these formulas directly. The reasons for this are several. First and foremost, these few formulas aren’t enough to truly gauge the exact differences between items. The price of a magic item may be modified based on its actual worth. The formulas only provide a starting point. The pricing of scrolls assumes that, whenever possible, a wizard or cleric created it. Potions and wands follow the formulas exactly. Staffs follow the formulas closely, and other items require at least some judgment calls.
(My emphasis)

RAW, the cost of non-costly spell components is intended to be non-costly.

Spell Component Pouch: A spellcaster with a spell component pouch is assumed to have all the material components and focuses needed for spellcasting, except for those components that have a specific cost, divine focuses, and focuses that wouldn’t fit in a pouch.

Comparing the 5 gp price of a component pouch to the 5600 gp when following the formula should make it clear that a discount might be warranted.

If the DM is trying to make caster's unattractive to play by requiring tedious bookkeeping the above arguments might not convince him.

You could always buy a Bag of Holding and "fill" it with Spell component Pouches. That is a cheaper solution if your DM turns out to be unreasonable. :smallwink:

EDIT: Ninja'ed. Couldn't post. Is server downtime getting longer?

gareth
2007-10-25, 03:59 AM
Q388
Do Raise Dead and Resurrection work on dead normal animals?

Greyen
2007-10-25, 04:05 AM
@Lord_Silvanos & Curmudgeon

Thanks guys.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-25, 04:07 AM
A. 388

Yes.

@Lord_Silvanos & Curmudgeon

Thanks guys.

Always glad to help. Even if the point has already been made. :smalltongue:

Brawls
2007-10-25, 02:23 PM
Q389: In what book is the Vow of Poverty variant rule published?

Thanks,

Brawls

Jasdoif
2007-10-25, 02:28 PM
A389

Vow of Poverty is a feat in the Book of Exalted Deeds.

Temp
2007-10-25, 02:37 PM
Q390

Can a Bear Warrior assume a bear form while under the effects of the Rage spell?

squishycube
2007-10-25, 03:14 PM
A390
Yes, and they will (partly) stack too. There is no reason why this combination would not be possible, the idea probably comes from the name of the spell and the class feature being the same/similar.
Everything will stack, except the bonus to will saves, since that bonus is typed in both Rages. The other bonuses are only typed in the spell and penalties almost always stack. (They do in this case.)

Sources: (Complete Warrior not linked, as it is not Open Game Content)
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/barbarian.htm#rage
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rage.htm
Complete Warrior, page 16

Temp
2007-10-25, 03:31 PM
Q390 (Rephrased)

Thanks, but I guess I need to clarify:

Each affected creature gains a +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution, a +1 morale bonus on Will saves, and a -2 penalty to AC. The effect is otherwise identical with a barbarian’s rage except that the subjects aren’t fatigued at the end of the rage.

Does the "Otherwise identical" aspect of the Rage spell mean a Bear Warrior who runs out of daily Rages can enter his bear form via the spell instead of his Barbarian Rage?

No?

Or could it mean he transforms into a bear with +2 Str and +2 Con in place of the bear ability modifiers?

TheElfLord
2007-10-25, 04:05 PM
Q 391:

A silvered weapon does one less damage (min 1 damage). In the even of a critical hit, does this -1 stack?

Situation: Character has no strength bonus and is weilding a silvered longsword. Gets a critcal hit. Is damage...

1). 2d8 -2

or

2) 2d8-1

Jasdoif
2007-10-25, 04:13 PM
A391

Yes, it stacks. A critical hit's damage is determined by totaling multiple damage rolls of the weapon's base damage, so the -1 would apply to each. Don't forget the one point minimum on damage rolls, though; it applies to each separate roll.

Awetugiw
2007-10-26, 06:09 AM
A391

Yes, it stacks. A critical hit's damage is determined by totaling multiple damage rolls of the weapon's base damage, so the -1 would apply to each. Don't forget the one point minimum on damage rolls, though; it applies to each separate roll.

Can you give a reference for the minimum of 2 points on a critical?

squishycube
2007-10-26, 06:17 AM
A390 Revisited
The description of Bear Form isn't very restrictive, it just says "rage". Nevertheless I think its obvious that this is not how the ability was intended.

391 Addendum
This isn't stated directly in the RAW and the rule that minimum damage is 1 could be put 'before' or 'after' the critical hit. Jasdoif puts it before, a DM could choose to put it after.

Curmudgeon
2007-10-26, 06:28 AM
Q 392

Is there some way to temporarily gain the granted power of a Clerical domain?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-26, 07:15 AM
A. 392 Partial

It is a little tricky, but....

The Factotum's Cunning Brilliance ability allows it to gain the benefit of extraordinary class features.

Domain powers are not marked as extraordinary abilities, but some are most likely extraordinary while others are clearly supernatural. Others again are spell-like abilities (and labelled as such).

Spell-like abilities can be "stolen" by the Spellthief's Steal Spell-like Ability.

I cannot think of a way to get temporary access to the supernatural domain powers, but there are many different ways to get permanent access, such as the Sorcerer and Wizard variants and feats from Complete Champion just to name the obvious.

(You could of course just take a level in a class that grants domain powers and then have it drained away by an undead, but that is probably not in the spirit of the question. :smalltongue: )

Douglas
2007-10-26, 10:45 AM
A392
The Domain Draught item from DMGII and Magic Item Compendium gives you access to one cleric domain, including both the granted power and (if you prepare domain spells) options for what to put in your domain spell slots. It lasts 24 hours or until you drink another Domain Draught, whichever happens first.

Jasdoif
2007-10-26, 11:31 AM
391 Addendum
This isn't stated directly in the RAW and the rule that minimum damage is 1 could be put 'before' or 'after' the critical hit. Jasdoif puts it before, a DM could choose to put it after.Reviewing the section in question again, it does indeed seem that either interpretation could be valid.

The rules on critical damage say you total multiple damage rolls with the same modifiers, suggesting to me that each damage roll is determined individually prior to addition. In this case, the "1 point minimum" would apply to each prior to the totaling. This would also make the final damage range correspond with a "roll once, then multiply the resulting number" method.

But again, review shows the situation is ambiguous enough that I could see a DM interpreting it either way.

Duke of URL
2007-10-26, 12:54 PM
Q 393

The 20th level capstone for Dread Necromancer is that the character becomes a lich; however several sources seem to indicate that this does not mean the character acquires the lich template. What exactly does happen?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-26, 01:16 PM
A. 393

As I read the entry: You become a Lich as described in the Lich Template, but without the the LA adjustment.

It should have been spelled out though, so even Customer Service could understand it. :smallamused:

Curmudgeon
2007-10-26, 03:29 PM
A392
The Domain Draught item from DMGII and Magic Item Compendium gives you access to one cleric domain
Thanks, douglas! That's exactly the type of answer I was looking for.

OK, here's another one:

Q 394 How can you see through magically-created (Control Weather, Fog Cloud, and the like) fog and mist?

Temp
2007-10-26, 06:39 PM
A390 Revisited
The description of Bear Form isn't very restrictive, it just says "rage". Nevertheless I think its obvious that this is not how the ability was intended.
Thanks, then. I guess the Bear-Warrior Barb/Bard just wasn't meant to be.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-26, 06:57 PM
A. 394 Partial

Crystal mask of Visual Insight will allow you to ignore concealment. (MIC, page 92)

The power Moment of Insight will do the same (Complete Psionics, page 93)

Jasdoif
2007-10-26, 07:08 PM
A394 partial too

Fog and mist don't block line of effect, so coming up with blindsight will work. I remember hearing that there are spells that grant blindsight, but I don't have whatever book they're in. I think they were in Spell Compendium, though I don't remember for certain.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-26, 07:23 PM
I think they were in Spell Compendium, though I don't remember for certain.

Yup. :smallsmile:

Nazde Bahatur
2007-10-26, 08:49 PM
A little help here!
Goliaths from Races of Stone.
Anyone know if there is a way to negate the +1 level adjustment?
If so, please tell me at what book (name) and page I can find it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-27, 04:00 AM
A. 395

Unearthed Arcane has a variant rule that allows you to reduce the LA.

Unearthed Arcane - Reducing Level Adjustments (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm#experiencePointCost)

Nazde Bahatur
2007-10-27, 06:54 AM
Not like this.. I mean, the Tiefling has LA+1, right?
If you take out the outsider traits, its LA drops to 0. (don't remember the book, though..)
Is there such a way of doing it?
Because we're gonna play one session down at 12 lvl, and there's not going to make a difference if i reduce the LA with your way.. I will still need to pay with xp.
I need a way so that i don't waste my xp, even if i take less from the race itself, like with the tiefling example.
Do you know any way?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-27, 07:02 AM
A. 395 Continued

I do not think there is a RAW way for the Goliath. You will have to house rule a solution, assuming your DM allows that.

Nazde Bahatur
2007-10-27, 07:14 AM
Darn..
Anyway, thanks a lot!

Rad
2007-10-27, 10:28 AM
Q 396
Does a Phantom Steed (lvl 3 Wiz spell) need to be controlled in battle with the Ride skill or does it count as a war-trained mount?
Where can I find the rules for other weird mounts/summoned critters?
Thank you :smallsmile:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-27, 12:09 PM
A. 396

The spell description is not specific, but since this is not an animal there should be no need to control it in battle.
However, you still need to guide it with your knees if you want to use both hands for something.

Balkash
2007-10-27, 12:21 PM
Q 397

Epic Sorcerer. Under the list of epic feat choices for the http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Sorcerer#EPIC_SORCERER, it lists Multispell. http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Multispell_%28Epic_Feat%29. My question is, this allows for one additional quicken spell to be cast per round, correct? And if so, why is it under the sorcerer's Epic Feat List, because under Quicken Spell (its prerequisite) http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Quicken_Spell_%28Feat%29 doesnt it say that sorcerer spells cant be quickened? So whats the point of putting multispell in the list? Can Epic Sorcerers cast quickened spells?? Thank you

Rad
2007-10-27, 01:05 PM
A 397
it was probably an oversight; however since Complete Mage is out sorcerers can take the feat Rapid Metamagic that allows them to use matamagic with no increase to casting time and thus are allowed to get Quicken Spell.

Jasdoif
2007-10-27, 01:28 PM
A397 also

Note that epic spells can be made as quickened spells.

Sepp
2007-10-27, 02:26 PM
Q398

Just want to be sure:
Using the LA buyoff rules, you can buy off LA +1 (a Goliath) at ECL 4(10,000)XP for the cost of 4,000 XP?

skywalker
2007-10-27, 02:38 PM
Q399

Does the bonus on attack rolls from point blank shot apply to ranged touch spells?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-27, 02:49 PM
A. 398

You can do it already at 6000 xp and it only costs 3000 xp. [(ECL - 1) x 1000 = (4 - 1) x 1000)]

Sepp
2007-10-27, 02:54 PM
A. 398

You can do it already at 6000 xp and it only costs 3000 xp. [(ECL - 1) x 1000 = (4 - 1) x 1000)]

Oh, thanks. That's even better! :smallbiggrin:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-27, 03:02 PM
A. 399

It applies to spells that require a ranged touch attack roll. Basically all weapon-like spells including spells that bestow penalties to ability scores.

The damage bonus only applies to spells that deal hit point damage.

EDIT: Weapon-like spells were clarified in Complete Arcane in regard to feats, Sneak Attacks and Critical Hits.

PBS and its interaction with spells you can find on page 72-73 of Complete Arcane.

Morbius
2007-10-27, 04:49 PM
Q. 400

Is there a feat that increases the range of skirmish damage from the scout class or the sneak attack?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-27, 06:50 PM
A. 400

Crossbow Sniper from PHB II increases the range to 60 feet, but it is limited to a certain kind of weapon (not telling which though).

cupkeyk
2007-10-27, 07:48 PM
Q. 401

What's the page number for starting gold by level? EG: Level 4.

Sorry, afb.

de-trick
2007-10-27, 07:53 PM
Q402

if a creature has a natural attack eg claw, what happens if the creature has levels in monk for unarmed damage

is it damage claw+unarmed attack

cupkeyk
2007-10-27, 07:56 PM
Q402

if a creature has a natural attack eg claw, what happens if the creature has levels in monk for unarmed damage

is it damage claw+unarmed attack

For some odd reasons, unarmed strike is always bludgeoning and is set by the table for your size or your monk levels and your monk levels will never affect your claw attacks.

cupkeyk
2007-10-27, 08:01 PM
Q. 401

What's the page number for starting gold by level? EG: Level 4.

Sorry, afb.

Page 135 of the 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide for gold, and page 22 of the 3.5 Player's Handbook.

Sorry, answered it myself.

Enlong
2007-10-27, 08:43 PM
Q 403:

A Monk can never go up in Monk level if they take a level in another class, but does this apply to Prestige Classes as well? For example, if I were to take a Monk to level 3 and then take a level of Drunken Master, would I be barred from taking any more Monk levels?

Jasdoif
2007-10-27, 08:49 PM
A403

Unless the prestige class specifically states that you can continue advancing as a monk, taking it prevents you from taking further monk levels.

Such an exception is generally phrased similar to this:
Multiclass Note: A monk who becomes a drunken master may continue advancing as a monk.

Similar exceptions exist for paladin and samurai classes.

Enlong
2007-10-27, 08:52 PM
Q 403 contd.

Wait, that quote is in Complete Adventurer? So that means a Monk can take Drunken Master levels without penalty?

Edit:

And if so, what happens if a fully leveled Drunken Master (Unarmed Damage 1d12) goes back to being a Monk (whose Unarmed Damage only goes up to 1d10 before going to 2d6)? How do you determine which Unarmed Strike damage to use?

Jasdoif
2007-10-28, 12:34 AM
Q 403 contd.

Wait, that quote is in Complete Adventurer? So that means a Monk can take Drunken Master levels without penalty?It's in Complete Warrior...at the end of the Drunken Master's class description. And yes, that is what it means.

And if so, what happens if a fully leveled Drunken Master (Unarmed Damage 1d12) goes back to being a Monk (whose Unarmed Damage only goes up to 1d10 before going to 2d6)? How do you determine which Unarmed Strike damage to use?I believe you're a little confused...a level 10 Drunken Master deals damage equal to his unarmed strike damage + 1d12 when using improvised weapons. The 1d12 doesn't replace the unarmed strike damage. So when using an improvised weapon, you would deal 1d12 plus whatever your unarmed strike damage happens to be from your monk level (or another source).

Hypothetically...If the Drunken Master did replace the unarmed strike damage, then you would get whichever of the two unarmed strike damages (one from Drunken Master and one from Monk) is better.

Note also that 2d6 is better then 1d12, as it averages higher.

Dragoon
2007-10-28, 04:18 AM
Q 404

Is there an actual starting age table or something similar for aasimars?

Jasdoif
2007-10-28, 05:36 AM
A404 not found

Turns out it's listed in Manual of the Planes Planar Handbook, on page 18.

EDIT: Figures, typed the wrong book name.... :smallsigh:

RMS Oceanic
2007-10-28, 06:53 AM
Q405

Do you have to take weapon focus/specialization for heavy and light shields separately, or will Weapon Focus (Shield) do? Also, does spiking the shields count as a separate weapon?

Enlong
2007-10-28, 07:04 AM
Q 403 continued (likely for the last time)

It's in Complete Warrior...at the end of the Drunken Master's class description. And yes, that is what it means.

I believe you're a little confused...a level 10 Drunken Master deals damage equal to his unarmed strike damage + 1d12 when using improvised weapons. The 1d12 doesn't replace the unarmed strike damage. So when using an improvised weapon, you would deal 1d12 plus whatever your unarmed strike damage happens to be from your monk level (or another source).

Hypothetically...If the Drunken Master did replace the unarmed strike damage, then you would get whichever of the two unarmed strike damages (one from Drunken Master and one from Monk) is better.

Note also that 2d6 is better then 1d12, as it averages higher.

Maybe I am confused. The source I am getting the info from is the Excerpt from Sword and Fist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20010105). Within it, it gives a value for unarmed damage at certain levels (such as 1d8 at first) however, the improvised weapon ability doesn't come until a few levels after that first boost to unarmed damage. Not to mention the fact that it also says that the improvised weapons always do 1d6 damage. Is this excerpt wrong? Or am I just reading it wrong? What does it really mean?

RMS Oceanic
2007-10-28, 07:18 AM
Sword and Fist is 3.0 edition. The 3.5 edition of the class has a number of changes, and is found in Complete Warrior. Does that help?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-28, 09:03 AM
A 402

An unarmed strike is a different type of attack from a claw attack or any other natural weapon. An unarmed strike is an attack made without the use of a weapon. A natural weapon is a special type of weapon. Additionally, there are distinct special rules for each type of attack.

Levels in monk only affect unarmed strikes. As such, taking levels in monk will have no direct effect on one's claw attacks.

squishycube
2007-10-28, 09:44 AM
Q405

Do you have to take weapon focus/specialization for heavy and light shields separately, or will Weapon Focus (Shield) do? Also, does spiking the shields count as a separate weapon?
A405
Weapon Focus (Shield) being usable for light shields and heavy shields is not mentioned in RAW. Shield Spikes only makes shield bash do more damage. The shield is still the weapon.

RMS Oceanic
2007-10-28, 10:25 AM
A405
Weapon Focus (Shield) being usable for light shields and heavy shields is not mentioned in RAW. Shield Spikes only makes shield bash do more damage. The shield is still the weapon.

Apologies, but I'm not quite clear. Is the answer "No it can't" or "It isn't covered in the rules"?

squishycube
2007-10-28, 12:12 PM
A405 Continued
The answer was "not covered explicitly by the rules". I think implicitly the rules say you have to take the focuses separately, as it is with weapons.

Enlong
2007-10-28, 03:02 PM
Sword and Fist is 3.0 edition. The 3.5 edition of the class has a number of changes, and is found in Complete Warrior. Does that help?

Huh, and what are the changes, exactly?

RMS Oceanic
2007-10-28, 03:46 PM
The main problem is that the Monk Class itself has changed as well. There used to be some stuff about different attack bonuses depending on whether or not special weapons were used, but that was simplified.

-BAB Requirements removed
-Tumble raised to 8 ranks

- At 1st level, Improvised weapons deal Unarmed Strike Damage +1d4. (So a Monk 5/Brawler 1 would deal 1d6+1d4) At 5th level, it's 1d8 and at 9th level it's 1d12.

These are the main differences that I think applies to you. Does that help?

gareth
2007-10-28, 06:33 PM
Q405
When a cleric casts the Commune spell, can anyone other than him perceive the god's answers? If not, is there any way the cleric can prove to a third party that the answers actually came from the god?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-28, 09:32 PM
A 405

Commune is a Personal spell, so it would seem the answer only comes to the caster.

If the caster is trying to prove the source of the answer to another character and that other character has ranks in Spellcraft, the caster can simply cast commune in front of that character and hope the character makes his or her skill check.

Short of the other character using their own divination spells/clairsentient powers/other information-gathering special abilities, I don't think there is any other way to directly prove the source of information granted through the use of commune.

gareth
2007-10-28, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the answer.

Dhavaer
2007-10-29, 04:26 AM
Q406
What kind of action is firing the light rays from the spell light of Lunia?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-29, 04:35 AM
A. 406

It needs to be clarified by errata, but it probably should have been a standard action.

Morbius
2007-10-29, 05:09 AM
Q. 407

If a level one wizard uses a spell like Summon Monster I, that would last only one round, how wold that work? The summoned would do only a single attack and disappear when the next turn of the player starts?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-29, 05:12 AM
A. 407

Yes, the 1 round duration for CL 1 summoning spells makes their use limited.

ski309
2007-10-29, 08:39 AM
Q 408
Can a caster use metamagic feats on spells that are used to craft a wondrous item, and if so how does it change the wondrous item being crafted?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-29, 08:45 AM
A. 408

There is no reason why they could not, but the price would be determined using the level of the spell slot used as if the spell was prepared using standard metamagic and then cast.

tdjewell
2007-10-29, 09:22 AM
Q. 409

Yet another Reach question.

Let's say we have four people in a line, F1 F2 E1 E2
I'm F1 and I have a 15' reach.
Does E1 get a cover bonus from my ally F2?
Does E2 get a cover bonus from his ally E1?

Or maybe more simply, how is hitting someone with a reach different than hitting someone with a missile weapon?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-29, 09:43 AM
A. 409

The answer is that it is not different for this purpose.

When making a melee attack against a target that isn’t adjacent to you (such as with a reach weapon), use the rules for determining cover from ranged attacks.

Both enemies in your example would have soft cover.

Soft Cover: Creatures, even your enemies, can provide you with cover against ranged attacks, giving you a +4 bonus to AC. However, such soft cover provides no bonus on Reflex saves, nor does soft cover allow you to make a Hide check.

kyz
2007-10-29, 12:15 PM
Q. 410

Are there any rules laid out as of yet concerning the lifespan of a doppleganger?

squishycube
2007-10-29, 12:46 PM
A404 not found

Turns out it's listed in Manual of the Planes Planar Handbook, on page 18.

EDIT: Figures, typed the wrong book name.... :smallsigh:

A410
If there are rules for the lifespan of Dopplegangers, I figure they'd be in one of those two books.

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-29, 12:49 PM
A410
If there are rules for the lifespan of Dopplegangers, I figure they'd be in one of those two books.

I *think* that Savage Species has lifespan listings of MM monsters, including the Doppleganger.

Jasdoif
2007-10-29, 03:14 PM
A. 408

There is no reason why they could not, but the price would be determined using the level of the spell slot used as if the spell was prepared using standard metamagic and then cast.How would you determine the new price for wondrous items?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-29, 03:41 PM
How would you determine the new price for wondrous items?

You know as well as I that that question is outside the scope of this thread. :smalltongue:
RAW only covers existing items and I should of course have pointed that out in my original response, but if you allow custom items there is no reason not to allow custom metamagiced items as well.

The golden rule of magic item creation is to first compare it to existing items.
That should always form our baseline.

The interesting here is of course items that create spell effects and we can try to use the formula in the guidelines and see if the result is reasonable, using the metamagically increased spell level instead of the original spell level.

But again, pricing is just art as it is science.

Some items adhere more or less to the formulas in the guidelines and here it is probably safe to simply put in the new higher level of the spell effect in question.
Such items should of course still be compared to items of equal power etc.

Disclaimer about the guidelines being only guidelines and not something that should be followed blindly

Jasdoif
2007-10-29, 04:18 PM
You know as well as I that that question is outside the scope of this thread. :smalltongue:Aww, and here I was hoping the butter oracle had instilled insight into your popcorn.

Or that some supplement I don't have covered it in sufficient detail to make it as clearcut as metamagic potions/wands/scrolls/staffs. Either way.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-29, 04:54 PM
Aww, and here I was hoping the butter oracle had instilled insight into your popcorn.

Or that some supplement I don't have covered it in sufficient detail to make it as clearcut as metamagic potions/wands/scrolls/staffs. Either way.

That would truly be something.

Popcorn - Insight Inside

OR

MAGIC ITEM CREATION FULLY EXPLAINED - No, you cannot make a use activated true strike weapon pre-epic.

Accountant
2007-10-29, 06:42 PM
Q 411

Oh boy. Alright.

So apparently, if (for whatever reason) you've looked through The Book of Erotic Fantasies, you'd know that Perform(sexual maneuvers) is indeed a very possible skill to take.

Hypothetically, of course... Could this be your bardic perform skill? I've read that the only prerequisite to being a bard's perform skill is, uh... making noise, so..?

squidthingy
2007-10-29, 06:53 PM
A 411

Yes it is possible, even probable. Refer to Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series where the gypsies have a dance, the tanana, that defently goes under the catagory of perform(sexual manuvers)

exerpt(refer to page 189) (http://books.google.com/books?id=gX-Pp43DiscC&pg=PA189&lpg=PA189&dq=tananna+piers+anthony+dance&source=web&ots=u9sbE9wOGU&sig=owNuPqqEDwE8qLFKFYvlQQliRxk#PPA189,M1)

Q 412

I'm drawing a blank for some reason right now but what would be the equivelent challange rating for a party of 4 ECL 9 characters

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-29, 08:13 PM
A 412

Your use of ECL 9 suggests some of these characters may be from races that have level adjustment. Such races typically have a CR much lower than their ECL. It is impossible to tell what the Encounter Level (EL) of the entire group is without knowing it's specific makeup.

However, if the party consists solely PHB-type races with LA 0 and 9 levels in PC classes, then each party member is individually CR 9. When you double the number of creatures with the same CR the EL is equal to their previous EL +2. Four characters is two doublings of CR 9 creatures, which would yield an EL of 9+2+2 = 13.

For other races, see the rules for calculating monster challenge ratings from additional class levels (available in the SRD (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/improvingMonsters.html#adding-class-levels)). Then find the total EL using the guidelines on pgs. 48-51 of Dungeon Master's Guide Core Rulebook II, v.3.5.

Source: Dungeon Master's Guide Core Rulebook II, v.3.5, pgs. 48-51.

Nazde Bahatur
2007-10-29, 10:03 PM
So, what feats are there for spell-like abilities?
Please, write the full reference, i am not familiar with abbreviations..
I am particularly interested in performing a spell-like ability in less than a standard action.
So, do you know if there is a "quicken special ability" feat or sth?
Please help. A warlock is a box filled with them, spell-like abilities, I gotta help him out, somehow..

Jasdoif
2007-10-30, 01:25 AM
So, what feats are there for spell-like abilities?
Please, write the full reference, i am not familiar with abbreviations..
I am particularly interested in performing a spell-like ability in less than a standard action.
So, do you know if there is a "quicken special ability" feat or sth?
Please help. A warlock is a box filled with them, spell-like abilities, I gotta help him out, somehow..Please provide the incrementing question number when asking a question in this thread, it helps to ensure you get an answer (or at the very least makes this thread easier to follow). Since the last question was Q412, this one is Q413.

A413

Quicken Spell-Like Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#quickenSpellLikeAbility), as well as Empower Spell-Like Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#empowerSpellLikeAbility), can be found in the Monster Manual (and the SRD). Complete Arcane, where the warlock class is from, includes Heighten Spell-Like Ability and Maximize Spell-Like Ability. Each of these feats can be used three times per day.

It's important to know that Complete Arcane's errata has a change that makes it easier/possible to use these feats for a warlock:
An eldritch blast is the equivalent of a 1st-level spell. If you apply a blast shape or eldritch essence invocation to your eldritch blast (see page 130), your eldritch blast uses the level equivalent of the shape or essence.

The FAQ has an entry specific to using a warlock's eldritch blast with such feats:
Can a warlock apply Empower Spell-Like Ability or Quicken Spell-Like Ability (Monster Manual, pages 303–304) to his eldritch blast? What level would he have to be to do so?

Thanks to the official errata for Complete Arcane (which established that an eldritch blast is “the equivalent of a 1st level spell”), the answer to this question is yes.

The chart on page 304 of the Monster Manual describes the caster level required to empower or quicken a spell-like ability. A warlock needs to have a caster level of 6th to empower his eldritch blast, or a caster level of 10th to quicken it.

If the warlock applies an eldritch essence or blast shape invocation to his eldritch blast, the blast’s level equivalent (and thus the required caster level) increases. Empowering an eldritch cone (the equivalent of a 5th-level spell) requires the warlock to be 14th level, while quickening a frightful blast (the equivalent of a 2nd-level spell) requires a 12th-level warlock.

Captain van der Decken
2007-10-30, 02:29 AM
Q414

Does an incorporeal creature, attacking with a ghost touch weapon (also incorporeal) still bypass armour?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-30, 02:38 AM
A. 412 Addendum

The Windrider answered the question; What is the CR of a group of 4 ECL 9 creatures.

If you on the other hand wanted to know the appropriate CR for a party of 4 ECL 9 characters to be challenged by the answer differs.

ECL is a tool to adjudicate the effectiveness of templates and races. A creature with an ECL 9 is in theory treated like a character with 9 levels in a class, so an appropriate challenge for a group of 4 ECL 9 characters is the same as for a group of 4 Character level 9 characters.

Around Encounter level 9 should be appropriate for a group of 4 of the same level. There is of course quite a margin here and it depends on the party composition and teh players in question.

It is not necessary to worry about CR for PCs and it is typically not that important to worry about ECL for monsters.

Jasdoif
2007-10-30, 02:50 AM
A414

Strange, I've never heard of an incorporeal weapon. Perhaps you mean an ethereal weapon?

Anyway...an incorporeal creature must use its incorporeal touch attack, if it wants to bypass armor. While a ghost touch weapon can be wielded by an incorporeal creature and used against corporeal foes, it gains no special benefit from simply being wielded by such a creature.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-30, 02:50 AM
A. 414

No, an incorporeal creature wielding a Ghost Touch weapon makes the attack as a normal attack.

The benefit of Ghost Touch weapons to incorporeal creatures is that it allows them to wield weapons and use there STR modifier for attacks (if they have one).

Captain van der Decken
2007-10-30, 02:56 AM
Ah, thanks. Yes, I do mean incorporeal weapon - Psion Uncarnate has the 'assume equipment' ability, making a certain amount of equipment incorporeal as the character becomes incorporeal.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-30, 03:12 AM
Ah, thanks. Yes, I do mean incorporeal weapon - Psion Uncarnate has the 'assume equipment' ability, making a certain amount of equipment incorporeal as the character becomes incorporeal.

The ability states that

This has no effect on the equipment’s function, ...

So the Uncarnate still could not make touch attacks with his/her weapons.

Rad
2007-10-30, 03:14 AM
Q 415
a) What happend to spells that are channeled by a Duskblade when he scores a critical hit? Does the spell damage (say, shocking grasp) get multiplied? What about ability damage? (i.e. chill touch)
b) Is the damage from an arcane channeled spell added to the weapon damage to bypass DR or are they computed separately?
c) What happens with the number of attacks (not arcane channelling) that chill touch grants? It does not grant extra attacks, does it? Are the extra attacks ported to the next attacks the caster makes? Is the charge held if he misses?
d)What happens to the number of attacks if chill touch is arcane channeled? What if it is channeled in a full attack?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-30, 03:27 AM
Q 415
a) What happend to spells that are channeled by a Duskblade when he scores a critical hit? Does the spell damage (say, shocking grasp) get multiplied? What about ability damage? (i.e. chill touch)

No.

If a duskblade scores a critical hit when channeling a
spell through a melee attack, is the spell’s damage
multiplied just like the weapon’s?

The rules aren’t as clear as they could be, but the Sage is
inclined to say no. Here’s the key sentence, from the PHB II,
page 20: “If the attack is successful, the attack deals damage
normally; then the effect of the spell is resolved.”
If you score a critical hit, the attack deals the normal
(critical) damage. Then the spell resolves normally, but it’s just
a rider effect applied due to the successful attack roll—you’re
not actually using the spell in the normal manner, so it can’t
score a critical hit.

b) Is the damage from an arcane channeled spell added to the weapon damage to bypass DR or are they computed separately?

Separately. (See above)

c) What happens with the number of attacks that chill touch grants? It does not grant extra attacks, does it? Are the extra attacks ported to the next attacks the caster makes? Is the charge held?

No.

How does the duskblade’s arcane channeling class
feature (Player’s Handbook II, 20) work with spells that
allow multiple touch attacks, such as chill touch?

For a spell that allows you to make multiple touch attacks
against separate creatures (such as chill touch), you only
channel one touch of the spell through your weapon attack,
regardless of the number of touches allowed by the spell. If the
spell’s duration is instantaneous (as chill touch), its effect is
expended by a single weapon attack, even if the spell would
normally allow multiple simultaneous touches.
If the spell allowed you to make multiple simultaneous
touch attacks against the same target, treat it as if you had
targeted the enemy struck by your weapon with all the eligible
attacks.

However, if you miss you are still holding the charge.

When a duskblade (Player’s Handbook II, 20) uses
arcane channeling to deliver a spell but misses with the
weapon attack, is the spell discharged or can he try to
deliver the spell again on his next turn?

This follows the normal rule for touch spells; that is, a
melee touch spell that misses its target is not discharged.
However, when using the improved version of this class
feature gained at 13th level, the spell is discharged at the end of
the round regardless of whether you hit or not (as described on
page 20).

d)What happens to the number of attacks if chill touch is arcane channeled? What if it is channeled in a full attack?

(See above)

Alveanerle
2007-10-30, 10:22 AM
Q. 416
I know it was mentioned, but i am packing for the session right now and will be able to have only a brief glimpse on the net or books before it starts, and suddenly i panicked on the reach.

What's the radius of both reach and non-threatened zone in the following examples:
a) enlarged human wielding a guisarme
b) human monkey-grip-wielding a size larger guisarme
c) enlarged human monkey-grip-wielding a size larger guisarme
d) human monkey-grip-wielding a size larger greatsword
d) enlarged human monkey-grip-wielding a size larger greatsword

Q. 417
Cloudkill - does it start near the caster, or at the specified point within the range?

Q. 418
Can one place a wall of fire/stone/whatever on the wind wall?

cupkeyk
2007-10-30, 10:33 AM
Q. 416
I know it was mentioned, but i am packing for the session right now and will be able to have only a brief glimpse on the net or books before it starts, and suddenly i panicked on the reach.

What's the radius of both reach and non-threatened zone in the following examples:
a) enlarged human wielding a guisarme
b) human monkey-grip-wielding a size larger guisarme
c) enlarged human monkey-grip-wielding a size larger guisarme
d) human monkey-grip-wielding a size larger greatsword
d) enlarged human monkey-grip-wielding a size larger greatsword

Q. 417
Cloudkill - does it start near the caster, or at the specified point within the range?

Q. 418
Can one place a wall of fire/stone/whatever on the wind wall?

A416. Monkey grip does not affect your reach.
a. twenty foot donut with a ten foot hole
b. a ten foot donut with a five foot hole
c. same as a
d. five foot circle
e. ten foot circle

A417. Anywhere within range where the caster designates.

A418. Wall of stone: The wall created need not be vertical, nor rest upon any firm foundation; however, it must merge with and be solidly supported by existing stone. NO

Wall of Fire: Looks like a yes. It doesn't seem to need to rest on any surface though

daggaz
2007-10-30, 11:03 AM
Q 419

If I have the feat spell focus, which kinds of spells does that effect? Obviously anything that targets a creature and has a saving throw... but what about area effects like web, grease, or glitterdust? Im kinda thinking that grease keeps the same DC, and glitterdust the DC to avoid blindness goes up by 2, but maybe web the webs do get stronger or something? Feh... Help!

Q 420

Do you like the SouthPark character, Towlie?? :smallwink: :smallbiggrin: (sorry just had to do it)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-30, 11:13 AM
A. 419

It affects all saving throws for that school of spells, including area of effect spells. (Unless a fixed save is given by the spell description)

Unless you are playing 3.0 spell focus only increase the DC by 1.

A. 420

Wellll.............
Why did you think of that?

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-30, 12:16 PM
Q. 421
Is it possible for a gestalt or multiclass Mindbender (CA) / Thrallherd (Psi) to gain the effects (cohorts and followers) of both classes?

The descriptions of the abilities both speak of them being "similar" or "akin" to Leadership, but do not seem to actually count as the Leadership feat (for qualifying for other feats or PrCs) and would not seem to cancel each other out.

Asmodeus
2007-10-30, 02:08 PM
Q. 422

Does Damage Reduction apply to Falling Damage?

Curmudgeon
2007-10-30, 02:11 PM
Q 423 Is there any Clerical domain that adds Sleight of Hand to your list of cleric class skills? (I know about the Greed domain granting a +2 competence bonus on SoH checks.)

Jasdoif
2007-10-30, 02:14 PM
A422

No. DR is defined as protecting against "most weapons and natural attacks", and falling damage isn't either of these.

Asmodeus
2007-10-30, 02:33 PM
Q 423 Is there any Clerical domain that adds Sleight of Hand to your list of cleric class skills? (I know about the Greed domain granting a +2 competence bonus on SoH checks.)

A 423
Maybe?

I don't know of a Domain, but you might take a look at the Able Learner feat, if you are human. It allows you to add a skill to your class skill list.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-30, 02:33 PM
A421 No reason you can't. They specify that you can't have their class features and Leadership at the same time, but speak nothing of similar abilities.

A423 No domain does that which I'm aware of.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-30, 03:48 PM
Q424 Do intelligent items that grant bonuses to mental statistics (such as an intelligent periapt of wisdom +4 or an intelligent circlet of intellect +2 confer their bonus upon their own mental scores as well as their owners?

cupkeyk
2007-10-30, 04:05 PM
A424

No, the continually functioning item must be in the appropriate item slot for it to confer any benefit, you can't wear a circlet of intellect as an armband or a really constricting belt. Intelligent items have no item slots. They are still items, not creatures. They can use augment crystals. LOLz

Bender
2007-10-30, 04:07 PM
Q425 When you charge with pounce, do all attacks get +2 AB, or only the first attack?

Q426 rake: when raking on a charge with pounce, do you apply -5 for secondary natural attack, or not? Do you apply +2 for the charge?
Do you apply -5 when you rake during a grapple, after a regular bite attack or grapple damage check?
Does your strength (or dexterity with weapon finesse) apply on rake?

Q427When a leopard charges, he bites, claws two times and rakes two times. After this, when the bite hits, can he still use improved grab? If he succeeds on the grapple check, does he do unarmed damage as well?

cupkeyk
2007-10-30, 04:18 PM
A 425

all of them

A 426

Rakes are at the creatures full base attack bonus without any penalties, check out dire lion, claw at +13 because of weapon focus, rake at +12.

A 427

Yes, but his unarmed strike damage is lousy being a medium creature with no improved unarmed strike. it's better off making another rake. So its pounce full attack is bite, (grab, rake) claw, claw, rake, rake, the parenthesis assumes the grab attack is successful.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-30, 04:18 PM
Q428 Does the answer to Q424 imply that intelligent items can use slotless items themselves?

Fax Celestis
2007-10-30, 04:20 PM
A427Cont Also note that natural weapons, being treated as light weapons, are capable of being used within a grapple without penalty.

cupkeyk
2007-10-30, 04:28 PM
A427

Like a scarlet and blue sphere iuon stone? uhh, I don't see why not. Really, i sought and didn't see why not.

I must correct myself though, intelligent magic items are actually constructs. So they DO have item slots. But they will not follow the same item slot rules of a standard humanoid shaped creature. DM discretion on what they can wear.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-30, 05:14 PM
A427Cont Also note that natural weapons, being treated as light weapons, are capable of being used within a grapple without penalty.

Not without penalty. Attacks in a grapple are made at a -4 penalty unless otherwise noted. (As in the Rake case)

Attack Your Opponent: You can make an attack with an unarmed strike, natural weapon, or light weapon against another character you are grappling. You take a –4 penalty on such attacks.

Alleine
2007-10-30, 10:26 PM
Q 428

Why is the duration on Death Knell listed as instantaneous and 10 minutes/HD. Is the instantaneous just to tell you it immediately takes effect?

Jasdoif
2007-10-30, 10:42 PM
A428

It is rather odd looking....The target's dying is an instantaneous effect, while the resulting bonuses to you last for 10 minutes per HD of the target.

Personally I'd have put down the duration as "instantaneous; see text" and describe the bonuses purely in the text, as the target's dying is the primary effect of the spell.

Winged One
2007-10-30, 10:55 PM
Q 428

Why is the duration on Death Knell listed as instantaneous and 10 minutes/HD. Is the instantaneous just to tell you it immediately takes effect?

A 428
Instantaneous because the target dies immediately, and 10 minutes/HD because the benefits to the caster last for 10 minutes per HD of the target.

Lothorus
2007-10-31, 12:11 AM
Q. 429

How exactly does the spell "Chill Touch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/chillTouch.htm)" work with the Duskblade's Arcane Channeling (PHBII) ability? Unlike most other touch spells in the Duskblades arsenal, it has a duration that affects the caster rather than the target. Does the Arcane Channeling only use it once for the strike and then discharge, or does it somehow persist beyond the initial hit, as per the spells description?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-31, 02:10 AM
A. 429

It can only be used once. (See question and answer 415 above)

Lothorus
2007-10-31, 03:13 AM
A. 429

It can only be used once. (See question and answer 415 above)

You gotta be kidding me. I suspected the question might have been brought up once in the 25 or so pages in this thread, but on the very same page I asked it?

Sorry about that.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.