PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By RAW) IV

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

BizzaroStormy
2007-10-31, 05:20 AM
Q 430
Is Radiant dragon an acceptable choice for the Draconic Heritage(CA 77) feat. If so, would it's breath weapon be applicable to the Draconic Breath Weapon(CA 77) feat?

Kioran
2007-10-31, 06:57 AM
Q 431:

Evil Twinkage: would it be legal by RAW to combine a spontaneous Arcana caster, Ur-Priest and Mystic Theurge to gain both 9th-lvl Arcana and Divine Spells?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-31, 07:08 AM
A 430

There's no reason one couldn't use a dragon other than the base metallic and chromatic dragons for Draconic Heritage or any other effect that requires you to choose a type of dragon. However, any non-standard dragon choices must be cleared with the DM who has final say on the precise effects of such a combination.

A 431
Yes, it's legal.

theterran
2007-10-31, 07:29 AM
Q 432

When throwing a Spear, which is a two-handed weapon, do you add your Str Mod to the damage or 1.5 x Str Mod to damage?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-31, 07:55 AM
A. 432

You only add 1 x STR to thrown weapons. 1. 5 x STR only applies to melee weapons.

Curmudgeon
2007-10-31, 08:30 AM
A 423
Maybe?

I don't know of a Domain, but you might take a look at the Able Learner feat, if you are human. It allows you to add a skill to your class skill list. Actually, it doesn't do that at all:
Benefit: All skill ranks cost 1 skill point for you to purchase, even if the skill is cross-class for you. The maximum number of ranks you can purchase in a cross-class skill remains the same. So Able Learner isn't going to increase the number of Sleight of Hand ranks a Cleric can have. Because SoH is an opposed check, the Cleric will be at an increasing disadvantage versus those who have Spot as a class skill, even with Able Learner.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-31, 03:40 PM
Q 433

If a creature fails a save against the spell Harm, can it reduce them to less than 1 hp?

Asmodeus
2007-10-31, 03:43 PM
Q 433

If a creature fails a save against the spell Harm, can it reduce them to less than 1 hp?

A 433

No, if the target fails the save, it still cannot be reduced to less than 1 HP.

Source:

The harm spell deals 10 points of damage per caster level (to a maximum of 150 points at 15th level) and cannot take a target’s hit points to less than 1. If the target creature makes a successful saving throw, the damage is reduced by half, but the spell still cannot reduce the target’s hit points to less than 1.

Grynning
2007-11-01, 03:08 AM
Q 434: Can spells with non-variable numeric effects (like Heal or Harm) be empowered? The text on the feat says all "variable" numeric effects are increased by 1/2, but one would assume that it would work on these spells as well.

Q 435: Are the point-buy ability score generation rules in the SRD? I can't seem to find them.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-01, 03:09 AM
Q436How does flurry of blows interact with natural weapons?

For example, let's take a level 4 monk with two claws and bite attack.

Am I right in thinking that said monk gets two unarmed(or monk weapon) attacks at -2, and then two claws at -7, and then one bite at -7?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-01, 03:15 AM
A. 434

There is no reason to assume any such thing. :smalltongue:
The feat does not empower non-variable numerical effects, such as Heal and Harm.

A. 435.

No, they are not OGC.
Point buy character generation rules can be found in the DMG.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-01, 03:18 AM
Q434How does flurry of blows interact with natural weapons?

For example, let's take a level 4 monk with two claws and bite attack.

Am I right in thinking that said monk gets two unarmed(or monk weapon) attacks at -2, and then two claws at -7, and then one bite at -7?

A. 436

Yes, but the monk would have to use other appendages than the arms for making the Unarmed Strikes Kicks. (Which would exclude most monk weapons)

Theli
2007-11-01, 09:47 AM
A. 436 (Reprised)

Actually, I don't believe you can use natural weapons when using flurry of blows (or vice versa) as natural weapons aren't specifically mentioned in the flurry of blows class feature description.

When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes or with special monk weapons (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham).

Actually, doing some more research there might be a FAQ entry that contradicts this for 3.5...

Found it.

If the creature normally is allowed to make both weapon attacks and natural weapon attacks as part of the same full attack routine, the monk can do the same (making unarmed strikes in place of weapon attacks). Since a centaur can make two hoof attacks in addition to his longsword attack, a centaur monk can make two hoof attacks in addition to his unarmed strike attack (or attacks, depending on his base attack bonus). The monk can’t use his natural weapon attacks as part of a flurry of blows, but he can make natural weapon attacks in addition to his flurry. Such attacks suffer the same –2 penalty as the monk’s flurry attacks in addition to the normal –5 penalty for secondary natural attacks.

However, this has the caveat of requiring the creature to be able to use their natural weapon attacks in addition to some kind of regular attack with a non-natural weapon. I believe that a great many monsters won't have that capability.

squishycube
2007-11-01, 10:58 AM
A435 Addendum
I would like to note here that none of the rules concerning character creation and character advancement are part of the Open Game Content.

cupkeyk
2007-11-01, 04:28 PM
Q 437

Are there rules concerning upgrading a "specific armor"? Like a +3 Rhino Hide Armor of Fortification?

squishycube
2007-11-01, 04:42 PM
No, but they are not needed since this covers all magic items. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#addingNewAbilities)

Rad
2007-11-01, 07:00 PM
Q 438
How do the abilities of an Abjurant Champion (CL=BAB) and other bonuses/penalties to CL, like the one given by Unseen Seer, interact?

Fax Celestis
2007-11-01, 07:05 PM
A438 As per the FAQ, bonuses that have different effects depending on the order of their application always are applied according to whichever method would be most beneficial to the player. In your instance, a Wizard/Abjurant Champion/Unseen Seer would have a caster level equal to his Base Attack Bonus, modified by his Unseen Seer's ability to cast divinations at higher level. So, the player would set his CL equal to his BAB, and then receive a bonus to divinations and a penalty to all other spells, unless he would have a higher average CL by applying those features the other way around.

Rad
2007-11-01, 07:13 PM
Q 438 cont.

A438 As per the FAQ, bonuses that have different effects depending on the order of their application always are applied according to whichever method would be most beneficial to the player. In your instance, a Wizard/Abjurant Champion/Unseen Seer would have a caster level equal to his Base Attack Bonus, modified by his Unseen Seer's ability to cast divinations at higher level. So, the player would set his CL equal to his BAB, and then receive a bonus to divinations and a penalty to all other spells, unless he would have a higher average CL by applying those features the other way around.

Is this "choice" made again every time a spell is cast (allowing to negate the penalty on non-divinations while keeping the bonus on divinations) or once-for-all for the character? RAW as I know them (as in the examples in the FAQ with DR) seem to be on a case-by-case basis but it seems too good to negate penalties and keep bonuses of that ability. (Abj Champ 5 IS a powerful ability though, so it is not that unreasonable)

Fax Celestis
2007-11-01, 07:40 PM
A438Cont FAQRAW says "case by case basis", but I personally would make the player choose each time they leveled.

tdjewell
2007-11-02, 09:02 AM
Q 439

Can Alter Self be used as "Enlarge Person" and "Reduce Person", i.e. to make a Large or Small version of my Medium self? (with appropriate size modifiers)

On a similar theme, can "Polymorph" make me a Huge verion of myself? Gargantuan?

cupkeyk
2007-11-02, 09:05 AM
A 439

The spell description states that you assume the creature's natural size. So, NO.

theterran
2007-11-02, 11:15 AM
Q 440

Can a character with class levels in Swordsage and Duskblade use a swordsage strike attack and use arcane channeling to add a spell to the same attack?

Fax Celestis
2007-11-02, 11:34 AM
A440 Yes. Arcane Channeling can be used with any attack action.

Snadgeros
2007-11-02, 12:57 PM
Q441
If a drunken master uses his drinking bonuses to increase CON, does he get HP bonuses with it? If so, how much?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-02, 01:16 PM
A. 440 Correction

Arcane Channeling is not an attack action, it is a standard action that combines spellcasting and delivery through the weapon.
Likewise are Strikes not attack actions or full-attacks, but rather standard action and full round actions that allow you to attack also.

Thus the only way to combine the benefits of Arcane Channeling with Strikes is to hold the charge on the touch spell used with Arcane Channeling and then in a later round use a Strike and deliver the touch spell at the same time.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-02, 01:25 PM
A. 441

Yes.
If his current con score is even every two points of constitution added will grant him HP equal to his HD, just like normal.
These extra HP will disappear when the Drunken Rage or Demon Binger effect goes away and the hangover will start.

reorith
2007-11-02, 03:21 PM
q. 442
does a rogue with iterative attacks add sneak attack damage to attacks other than the first one if the defender still meets the criteria?

Jasdoif
2007-11-02, 03:30 PM
A442

Yes. Any successful attack you make that qualifies for sneak attack, is a successful sneak attack.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-02, 03:31 PM
A442 Any attack that the rogue makes when the defender qualifies for Sneak Attack receives the extra damage.

InfiniteMiller
2007-11-02, 04:39 PM
Q443:

Is it possible to stack a single Divine Feat? For example, if I power my Divine Shield, can I power it again the following round for double the effect?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-02, 04:44 PM
A 443
Effects from the same source don't stack.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-02, 04:44 PM
A443 This would fall under the "same source, same effect" stacking rule. Multiple applications of the same effect do not stack: they merely refresh the duration.

Nazde Bahatur
2007-11-02, 10:49 PM
Q444:
I'm planning on playing a Shifter Barbarian (Eberron) and I was thinking to concentrate on his claw attacks. What items do you know of that enchance natural attacks in some way? Please, also tell me in which book you found them, so that I won't have to ask again.. Thanks in advance!

XiaoTie
2007-11-02, 11:13 PM
Q. 445
What is the proper price of a +1 Flaming Longsword?

Jasdoif
2007-11-02, 11:20 PM
A445

A basic longsword costs 15gp. Making it masterwork, which is required for magic weapons, is another 300gp. +1 and flaming are both +1 equivalent bonuses for pricing, making the combination a +2 equivalent bonus for pricing. The price for adding a +2 equivalent bonus to a weapon is 8,000gp.

So, 15 + 300 + 8000 = 8,315gp.

XiaoTie
2007-11-02, 11:23 PM
Q. 446
Is it possible to have a +1 Mithrall Heavy Shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor#mithralHeavyShield)? If so, what would be the price of a +1 Mithral Heavy Shield?

Arbitrarity
2007-11-02, 11:26 PM
Q. 446
Is it possible to have a +1 Mithrall Heavy Shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor#mithralHeavyShield)? If so, what would be the price of a +1 Mithral Heavy Shield?

Yes. Cost is 1000 gp for +1 enhancement, 1000 gp for mithral metal, 20 gp for base metal shield, for a total of 2020 gp. Note that the price of masterwork quality is automatically subsumed into the mithral.

XiaoTie
2007-11-02, 11:50 PM
Q. 447
I promise this is the last one (for now) :thog:

Does a Flaming Longsword requires another +1 enhacement other than the one included on the Flaming price? In other words, is it possible to have a Flaming Longsword (2315 gp), or they only are sold as +1 Flaming Longsword (8315 gp)?

Jasdoif
2007-11-02, 11:56 PM
A447

You have to have a +1 enhancement bonus on a weapon before you can add any special weapon properties. So yes, all longswords with the flaming property are at least +1 flaming longswords.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-03, 05:37 AM
A. 444

Amulet of Mighty Fists (DMG) is the first thing that comes to mind.

Nazde Bahatur
2007-11-03, 09:15 AM
Q448:
Is there a way a Razorclaw Shifter (Eberron) can make multiple attacks with her claws? In the razorclaw description it says that one cannot attack more than once per round with a single claw. Isn't there a way to negate this? Maybe two weapon fighting, or shifter multiattack feat?
Please help meeeee!

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-03, 10:45 AM
A. 448

Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike (Draconomicon page 70 and 73) will allow you to make additional attacks with a pair of natural weapons.

Ryuuk
2007-11-03, 11:15 AM
Q 449

With regards to Tome of Battle's maneuver granting item like the Crown of White Raven, what would the requirements to use them be exactly?

For example, for an item granting a 3rd level stance which requires the knowledge of another maneuver of the same discipline, what would be the minimum requirements for a character without any Crusader, Swordsage or Warblade level be to be able to use it?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-03, 11:56 AM
A. 449

You have to meet the prerequisites for the chosen maneuver, so if you want the use of a maneuver that have other maneuvers as a prerequisite you would have to take a feat or martial adept class levels before you can use it.

Ryuuk
2007-11-03, 12:24 PM
Q 449b

Would the initiator level also be a prerequisite? So in the above example, a character would need to take Martial Study for a maneuver of that discipline and have 10 HD for an initiator level of 5?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-03, 12:32 PM
A. 449b

The description does not go into detail, but Initiator level seems not to be a requirement when choosing a maneuver for the crown, only the requirements listed under prerequisites are required.

Mordokai
2007-11-03, 02:33 PM
Q 450

If stats for weapon states that it's a +4 tanar'ri bane keen returning javelin which deals 3d6+6 damage against tanar'ri, or 6d6+6 when used against demon lords, does that damage include extra 2d6 dice of damage because of bane effect or not? More simple, what is the total damage against tanar'ri and demon lords?

Amiria
2007-11-03, 02:37 PM
Q 451

My ToB isn't around but I want to rebuild a character. What's the maneuvers known/readied of a 16th level Crusader ?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-03, 02:39 PM
A. 450

The 2d6 from Bane is included. A javelin (sized for medium creatures) normally deals 1d6 damage.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-03, 02:42 PM
A. 451

I am not sure it would be ok to post here, since it is not OGC.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-03, 07:53 PM
Q452 I have Evasive Reflexes, Combat Reflexes, Thicket of Blades, and a reach weapon. My opponent charges me. If I take a 5' step backwards, does my opponent continue his charge? If so, do I get another AoO--either to use on Evasive Reflexes or otherwise?

squishycube
2007-11-03, 08:37 PM
A452
Moving away from the charger and how it affects the charge is not covered by the RAW as far as I know. I would rule that if you only moved backwards the charge would still work. I think the conditions for an AoO would be met again, so another AoO could be made. This sounds like cheese though.
Something else to do with charge and moving away from it which could lead (and is in my group leading) to discussion is readying 10 feet movement sideways, away from the charger. Charge has to be in a straight line...

Nazde Bahatur
2007-11-03, 08:38 PM
Q448b
I am truly sorry, but I cannot find rapid strike and improved dragon strike in the feats index in Draconomicon..
Are they in another book or sth?
If not, at what page are they?
Sorry..

squishycube
2007-11-03, 08:48 PM
A448b
Google seems to think Rapid Strike is a homebrew feat from these very boards. (Version of it I found: Click (http://www.daggersden.net/2007/05/27/feats-rapid-strike/).) It doesn't know about Improved Dragon Strike (or Dragon Strike for that matter), so I am inclined to think it doesn't exist.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-03, 09:07 PM
A. 448b Continued

The names are Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike.

Both are listed on the list of Monstrous feats on page 69 of the Draconomicon.
The feats can be found on page 70 and 73.

kjones
2007-11-04, 09:19 AM
Q 453

Stupid question about Clerics: How often can they meditate to prepare spells? The rules say something along the lines of "once per day"; does this mean once per 24 hour period, between rests, or what?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-04, 09:25 AM
A. 453

"Once per day" means once per day, typically 24 hours.

Enlong
2007-11-04, 01:52 PM
Q 454

Is there any class out there (base or prestige) that works around Tarot Cards, or the symbols of the Major or Minor Arcana? (the symbols of the Tarot Cards, such as the Hanged Man, The Wheel of Fate, etc.) I know that the Deck of Many Things can use a Tarot Deck to determine its effects but I'd like to know if there's a class that works around the theme.

Reinboom
2007-11-04, 02:00 PM
A 454
Not by wizards.
Fax Celestis, however, has one under construction here (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Cartomancer).

Enlong
2007-11-04, 02:02 PM
Q 454 parting note

Crud. Ah, well. It looks awesome, so it's fine.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-04, 02:10 PM
A. 452 Continued

I missed this one before.

Regardless of the number of threatened squares you leave you only provoke one AoO for movement.

Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent.
(My emphasis)

Jasdoif
2007-11-04, 02:57 PM
A. 452 Continued

I missed this one before.

Regardless of the number of threatened squares you leave you only provoke one AoO for movement.

(My emphasis)He's using Thicket of Blades, which states that any sort of movement in a square you threaten provokes an attack of opportunity from you. I believe this would trump the usual "one AoO per movement" rule.

Chronos
2007-11-04, 03:08 PM
A453 expanded: A cleric or other divine spellcaster must pick some particular time of day to refresh spells, typically sunrise or noon for good casters, or dusk or midnight for evil ones. If a divine caster can't prepare spells at the appointed time, he or she must do so at the first possible opportunity. If he or she does not do so at the first opportunity, spells cannot be refreshed until the next day at that time.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-04, 03:37 PM
He's using Thicket of Blades, which states that any sort of movement in a square you threaten provokes an attack of opportunity from you. I believe this would trump the usual "one AoO per movement" rule.

All it does is to extend AoOs from movement to also include movement that does not normally provoke AoOs, such as 5-foot steps and withdraw actions.
It says nothing about changing the rules for granting more than one attack per opportunity.

Alleine
2007-11-04, 04:16 PM
Q 455

Is the table for adjusting ability scores by size in the SRD only to be used for monster advancement, and not PCs?

Jasdoif
2007-11-04, 04:22 PM
A455

This is correct. The table is only for increasing a creature's size past its "base" size through the addition of racial hit dice.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-04, 04:24 PM
A. 455

PCs that play monster races usually advance through class levels, so they would typically not use the table.

Spell and effects usually describe what a size increase entails and does not use the table either.

Did you have a specific example in mind?

Alleine
2007-11-04, 04:32 PM
Q 455 Cont.

Yes, a size increase due to the Half-Minotaur template. The wording I see on it seems to point vaguely towards extra ability score adjustments due to size. I'm looking at the templates downloaded from Crystal Keep.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-04, 04:41 PM
A. 455 Continued

Templates usually detail all the necessary changes, so unless it specifically points to the table all information can be found in the description of the template.

Douglas
2007-11-04, 05:10 PM
A455
Templates and races already include any changes due to size in the total statistics they list. The table for adjusting ability scores by size is used only when a creature is a size other than it would normally be and the reason for that difference does not specify its own set of modifiers. A Half-minotaur is normally Large size, so any adjustments due to size are already included in the modifiers listed for the template. The Enlarge Person spell, for example, specifies its own modifiers and those modifiers completely replace those in the table - an Enlarged person gets +2 strength from the spell, not +2 from the spell and +8 from the size increase.

To my knowledge, that table is used only when advancing a monster's hit dice moves it up a size category or for the (utterly broken) anthropomorphic animals in Savage Species, and SS already has the final totals in a table for the races it lists level adjustments for.

Gralamin
2007-11-04, 07:51 PM
Q. 456
a) What is the point/advantage of scrolls with multiple spells on them, how are they different from other scrolls?
b) How does one prices scrolls with multiple spells?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-04, 08:14 PM
Re: 455
I haven't had a chance to check out the template description myself, but a recent discussion indicates that while the Half-Minotaur description does not explicitly reference the table, it mentions characters that change size through the application of the template may gain further ability score changes than those actually listed. This appears to indicate a possible exception to the usual rules for the use of the table in question.

A 456
a) A scroll with multiple spells is only a single scroll, so it can be easier to keep track of.

b) A scroll with multiple spells is priced just like multiple scrolls. There is no difference in the price of (a scroll of magic missle and a scroll of knock) and a (scroll of magic missile and knock).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-05, 03:55 AM
A. 456 Addendum

When you are drawing a scroll with multiple spells you are only using one move cation to have the possibility of casting more than one spell. If the spells where on separate scrolls you would have to draw each scroll individually spending more than one move action.

Of course the downside is that if you do not want to cast more than one spell you now have to sheath or drop the scroll after use, which either takes time or involves some risk.

A sundering attempt against your scroll can also be more devastating if it contains several valuable spells.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-05, 12:40 PM
Q457 Can I use UMD with a sizing weapon to emulate a Large (or larger) race and thereby increase my weapon size?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-05, 01:06 PM
A. 457

The RAW does not directly support such a use, but it seems like a very a reasonable use of UMD.

Curmudgeon
2007-11-05, 01:18 PM
Q457 Can I use UMD with a sizing weapon to emulate a Large (or larger) race and thereby increase my weapon size?
A 457

This question doesn't make much sense.

You can use UMD to emulate a race, of whatever size.

But the reason the question doesn't make sense is that the sizing special ability will give you any size you want:
Activating a sizing weapon changes its size category to any other that you desire. Sizing doesn't switch the weapon to the wielder's size; you must activate the ability via a (swift) command and specify the size desired. No Use Magic Device skill is required.

Now, if your intention is to use UMD to remove the penalties for using a weapon of an inappropriate size, that's a completely different question.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-05, 01:21 PM
Q457b So if I were a rogue dual-wielding sizing shortswords +1, and I emulated a tarrasque, I would have a pair of colossal sizing shortswords +1. Would I be able to wield these weapons properly? Size is, after all a racial feature, as indicated by the Racial Features of the gnome, halfling, kobold, ogre, etc., and if I am emulating a creature with a colossal size's racial features, I would therefore technically have colossal size without actually being of colossal size. If that is indeed correct, I would then be able to wield weapons of colossal size without penalty, as they would be appropriately sized for the race I was currently emulating.

squishycube
2007-11-05, 01:28 PM
A457b
Using common sense here (sorry catgirls).
I think you are barking up the wrong tree. For as far as I can tell the weapon actually changes size. Just because you pretend to be gargantuan to make the weapon gargantuan doesn't mean you are gargantuan or that you can wield the weapon properly. It is only the magic item you fool with UMD, not reality.

EDIT: Cubic popcorn, hurray!

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-05, 01:29 PM
Sorry for not actually reading the description of Sizing.

A. 457b

Only the weapon's size change. The Rogue does not change physically and is no more capable of wielding inappropriately sized than he was before.
You race only change for the purposes of activating the magical effect or having it affect him continuously.

daggaz
2007-11-05, 08:39 PM
Q. 458

Is there some kind of limit to how many potions a character can drink? Per round/min/hour/day etc?

Fax Celestis
2007-11-05, 11:39 PM
A458 You can drink as many as you have move actions. I cannot find a limit.

dyslexicfaser
2007-11-06, 01:31 AM
Q459
My artificer (hordeficer) will soon start trying to produce constructs: are they just scattered throughout the MMs, or are they collected in a special book?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-06, 02:03 AM
A. 459

They are scattered all over the books. This list (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters&tablesort=4) should help you find them all.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-06, 07:28 AM
Re: 458

Drinking a potion is a standard action.

Though retrieving the potion from where it is stored is typically a move action itself.

Duke of URL
2007-11-06, 07:50 AM
Q 460

If I combine a Warlock's Eldritch Blast with a Rogue's sneak attack ability, I know that for the basic blast, if I otherwise meet sneak attack conditions, I may add the sneak attack damage to the blast, as it is a ranged touch attack within 30'.

How does this work with other blast shapes, specifically Eldritch Chain, Eldritch Cone, and Eldritch Doom? The chain also has a range of 30', so I would assume that sneak attack damage potentially applies, but what about secondary targets? For the cone and doom shapes, they are no longer touch attacks, so do they no longer get sneak attack bonuses?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-06, 07:57 AM
A. 460

For you to be bale to apply Sneak Attack damage the blast must require an attack roll and you need to deal damage, ability damage or energy drain.

If your effect can target multiple targets you can only apply Sneak attack damage to the first.

See page 85-86 of Complete Arcane for further details.

StickMan
2007-11-06, 10:59 AM
Q. 461

Has anything been said about races with four arms using power attack. Specifically does it do x4 the penalty taken? I've never seen anything to that effect but it seems almost logical.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-06, 01:36 PM
A. 461

Rules for using more than two hands to wield a weapon was introduced in Savage Species (page 42). Each additional hand after the first adds 1/2 your STR bonus to damage, so four hands would yield 2.5 times your STR bonus to damage.
I do not think there is any mention of PA using more than two hands.

Jasdoif
2007-11-06, 01:50 PM
Rules for using more than two hands to wield a weapon was introduced in Savage Species (page 42). Each additional hand after the first adds 1/2 your STR bonus to damage, so four hands would yield 2.5 times your STR bonus to damage.Correct me if I'm wrong here: Savage Species is a 3.0 book, and thus would not mention a Power Attack bonus for extra hands, since 3.0 Power Attack wasn't influenced by a weapon's light/one-handed/two-handed status.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-06, 01:58 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here: Savage Species is a 3.0 book, and thus would not mention a Power Attack bonus for extra hands, since 3.0 Power Attack wasn't influenced by a weapon's light/one-handed/two-handed status.

Sorry, Power Attack is not mentioned. Only wielding a weapon with more than two hands.

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-06, 02:02 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here: Savage Species is a 3.0 book, and thus would not mention a Power Attack bonus for extra hands, since 3.0 Power Attack wasn't influenced by a weapon's light/one-handed/two-handed status.

Well, technically it's a 3.25 book. Not quite 3.5, but it is considered officially legal for 3.5; that being said, I would go at it from this angle. Since each hand independantly adds half STR, then yeah, your initial thought of PA being a 1:4 ratio seems correct.

Which, just wow.. makes leap attack, shock trooper even sillier...

EDIT: Strictly by RAW, I guess it is not supported. Though the wording on Power Attack specifically says TWO hands. It's just a nebulous grey area I guess.

Telonius
2007-11-06, 02:04 PM
Q 462

This came from the Spear Throwing thread. An Efficient Quiver will store up to six spears. But would drawing a new spear out of the quiver count as a free action or a move action?

Some relevant rules:

Once the owner has filled it, the quiver can produce any item she wishes, as if from a regular quiver or scabbard.

Drawing a weapon so that you can use it in combat, or putting it away so that you have a free hand, requires a move action. This action also applies to weapon-like objects carried in easy reach, such as wands. If your weapon or weapon-like object is stored in a pack or otherwise out of easy reach, treat this action as retrieving a stored item.

If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move. If you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you can draw two light or one-handed weapons in the time it would normally take you to draw one.

Drawing ammunition for use with a ranged weapon (such as arrows, bolts, sling bullets, or shuriken) is a free action.

... so does the Efficient Quiver count as a scabbard (in which case you'd need Quick Draw for a Free Action draw), or as drawing ammunition such as shuriken? Exactly what kind of ranged weapon uses shuriken as ammunition?

Jasdoif
2007-11-06, 02:26 PM
A462

Since the Efficient Quiver doesn't state it alters the time required to draw a weapon (beyond not needing to dig around in the quiver), I believe it remains the same; since spears aren't ammunition, that makes it a move action unless you have Quick Draw.

Exactly what kind of ranged weapon uses shuriken as ammunition?Despite being thrown weapons, shuriken are treated as ammunition for the purpose of drawing them (as well as making special versions of them and what happens to them after they are thrown).

But yes, the sentence in question does look a little odd with the shuriken reference there.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-07, 05:01 AM
Q 463

Can the Share Pain power be used in the same manner as Shield Other, with the caster taking half the damage of the target? The spell says that the target is either two willing creatures (you pick which receives the damage), or yourself and one willing creature (the willing creature receives the damage). Can the caster count as "a willing creature" and elect to take the damage for someone else?

squishycube
2007-11-07, 05:09 AM
A463
The text of the power isn't written towards it, but it is possible. Besides the targets "you and one willing creature", where the caster can only get rid of damage, you can also pick "two willing creatures", where you get to decide the receiver and the taker of the damage. One of the willing creatures can be yourself.

Rad
2007-11-07, 05:10 AM
Q 463
If a character wields two weapons but only attacks with one of them (say, one has reach and the other doesn't), does the one in the off-hand get penalties?

Q 464
There is a Swordsage ability that gives you weapon focus on all the weapons associated to a martial discipline. What happens if you are not proficient with some of them? Does the weapon focus still apply? Do you get a free proficiency?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-07, 05:33 AM
A. 463

There is no ambidexterity in 3.5 (It was one of the 3.0 TWF feats), so any off-hand attack would take off-hand penalties.

If you are wielding two weapons and make a single attack with your main hand you do not incur any TWF penalties, but you cannot make an AoO or similar with your off-hand later in the same round then.

It seems very reasonable to rule that you can make a single attack with any hand at no penalty if you have Two-weapon Fighting though.

A. 464

Discipline Focus does not grant any proficiencies, but the benefit of Weapon Focus would still be granted.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-07, 05:45 AM
Q 465

Does the following combo work?

1. Cast Share Pain on the party 'tank'
2. Cast Share Pain, Forced on Monster
3. Monster attacks tank, you recieve 1/2 the damage, monster takes damage from Share Pain, Forced

I am not interested in effectiveness, just whether it does what I think it does.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-07, 05:55 AM
A. 465

Yes. Assuming no immunities or reductions etc.; The tank would take half the damage dealt by the monster, you would take half the damage dealt by the monsters and the monster itself would take one quarter the damage it itself deals to the tank.

Telok
2007-11-07, 08:29 AM
Q. 467

Magic item crafting price check.

Collar of Animal Growth, 1/day, caster level 9 = 9000 gp

Y/N?

Costs for two and three times a day should be 18000 and 24000 if I am correct.

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-07, 08:51 AM
Q. 467

Magic item crafting price check.

Collar of Animal Growth, 1/day, caster level 9 = 9000 gp

Y/N?

Costs for two and three times a day should be 18000 and 24000 if I am correct.

A. 467

I get 18000 for 1/Day

5th Level Spell * 9th Level Caster = 45 * 2000 GP = 90000 / 5 (1 charge/day) = 18000

So, yes 9,000 GP to Craft the item yourself.

I would then say that honestly, as a Collar, it is unsuited for the bonus it bestows, since a collar is neck slot which according to the table covers protection and discernment, so it would get the out of slot penalty of being multiplied by 1.5, so it would be 27,000. Which would work out to 13,500 GP to self craft.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-07, 09:13 AM
A. 467 Continued

It is important to note that the Guidelines for creating custom items are only guidelines (GAW). Items created using these guidelines should always be compared to items of similar value and price should be based on their usefullness and impact on the power level of the game.

Non-RAW comments:

I think the item makes more sense as a command word activated item and it will also save you a little gold.

(5th level Spell * 9th CL * 1800 GP) / 5 = 16200 gp (8200 gp crafting cost)

Combining the Belt and Neck slot into one makes good sense for a lot of animals.

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-07, 09:25 AM
A. 467 Corollary and exposition:

I think the item makes more sense as a command word activated item and it will also save you a little gold.

I was going to mention this as well, however is viewing the raw of the item, it looks as though Command Word items need to have the Command Word uttered by the wearer of the item.

Command Word: If no activation method is suggested either in the magic item description or by the nature of the item, assume that a command word is needed to activate it. Command word activation means that a character speaks the word and the item activates. No other special knowledge is needed.

A command word can be a real word, but when this is the case, the holder of the item runs the risk of activating the item accidentally by speaking the word in normal conversation. More often, the command word is some seemingly nonsensical word, or a word or phrase from an ancient language no longer in common use. Activating a command word magic item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

The implication I got from the question was this item was being designed to be worn by an animal, which, in all likelyhood does not speak. Thus it would need to use a use activated item and of course the animal would need to be taught a special trick to use it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-07, 09:35 AM
A. 467 Corollary and exposition:

I was going to mention this as well, however is viewing the raw of the item, it looks as though Command Word items need to have the Command Word uttered by the wearer of the item.

It is easily taken care of, but it still should require a special trick. :smallwink:

Fluffy's command word: Meow!

Or

Snuggly the Bear's comman word: Growl!

Telok
2007-11-07, 10:12 AM
Thanks guys. Glad to know I'm at least halfway consistent with the guidelines.

We're being flexable about this because it's on a bird (eagle) and the character made it himself. The bird will need those bonuses if it gets into combat.

Darius
2007-11-07, 11:35 AM
Q 468

Question regarding ready actions:

Setting: Say a conjurer (Callos) with the abrupt jaunt ability is facing down an attacker.

The attacker (Argus) has a readied action to attack if conjurer casts a spell.
Callos wishes to cast his spell at Argus without fear of being made into squishy bits.

When Callos begins casting his spell, the readied action of Argus takes effect and pops him up to the top of the action, right?

However, that allows Callos to abrupt jaunt away as an immediate action.

Since he is now 10' away, the attack is moot.

He then casts his spell unimpeded, correct?

Recap:

Callos begins casting sequence
But is interrupted by Argus' readied attack
Callos abrupt jaunts away immediately
Callos' spell goes off

Am I wrong in this?

cupkeyk
2007-11-07, 11:47 AM
A 468

A readied action is a standard action. This was addressed in an FAQ or Sage Advice somewhere, Argus can still use a standard action and charge Callos since his readied action was "attack the spellcaster" which is still within his capacity if he charges. If it was an AoO then it would have been fine, Callos is safe. I could be wrong. But I played a abrupt jaunt conjurer and this was how my DM played it.

Same way if Callos was fighting a creature with absurd reach, like say a roper with 50 ft reach. If Callos is within 30 feet of the caster, nowhere within his jaunt range is he safe from the readied action. If he provoked an AoO, he's still screwed and Abrupt Jaunt is still useless.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-07, 01:34 PM
A. 468

You can perform an immediate action "at any time", which probably includes in the middle of performing a standard action, like casting a spell, so you would not lose the spell.

Spellcasting and their disruption is handled like this, because if a readied action or AoO took place entirely before the provoking or triggering action it could not disrupt the spellcasting.
However, since immediate actions seems possible in the middle of spellcasting this does not present a problem for the caster in your example.

As a sidenote, you cannot charge using a readied action unless you are limited to only making move or standard actions during your turn (readying an action is a standard action so you would have to be limited to move actions only between readying your action and performing your attack in move-charge case).

Alleine
2007-11-07, 08:02 PM
Q 469

The psionic power Bestow Power says in its description that you can transfer as many power points as the target has manifester levels. Is this limit per use of the power, or total?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-08, 03:03 AM
A. 469

The duration is instantaneous, so it would be per use of bestow power.

The receiver could still be limited by the total number of power points it has per day.

squishycube
2007-11-08, 04:47 AM
A463 Dispute
This is probably going to lead to Silvanos being right again, but here goes.
I think that in 3.5 you do not actually have a fixed off-hand and main hand. The way you attack determines which hand is which. An example of this is seen when a creature with natural attacks makes those attacks together with iterative attacks, all natural attacks receive the -5 penalty for being (natural) off-hand attacks.
I did a search of the SRD (http://www.google.com/custom?q=off-hand&hl=en&client=google-coop-np&cof=FORID:1%3BAH:left%3BS:http://www.d20srd.org/%3BCX:Hypertext%2520d20%2520SRD%2520Search%3BL:htt p://www.d20srd.org/images/logo.png%3BLH:78%3BLP:1%3BBGC:%23f2e6da%3BLC:%2300 0099%3BVLC:%23663399%3BGALT:%2399826b%3BGFNT:%2333 3300%3BGIMP:%23333300%3B&cx=015155386140379294602:k9hv7ukafn4&adkw=AELymgW9siYz9Ua9D_3DZwd05mPC3WfoGOSkbJyO7vVMF _t0BAo8soXSQnnl8h3j8sDgsUbMgfMSna_x0v104OYKrYqeFFy rOUlDomr0q_Qlm0Eh-BLTMKYH6y-y_PCY5ZqmCRkm2TYfyisnyr4DRdiYw2CTfoas2g&start=0&sa=N) and I could find nothing that says your off-hand is fixed or transferable.
Another clue is that the official 3.5 character sheet has nowhere to put handedness.

Let's see where this goes then :smallsmile:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-08, 07:16 AM
A. 463 Clarification

A463 Dispute
This is probably going to lead to Silvanos being right again, but here goes.
I think that in 3.5 you do not actually have a fixed off-hand and main hand. The way you attack determines which hand is which. An example of this is seen when a creature with natural attacks makes those attacks together with iterative attacks, all natural attacks receive the -5 penalty for being (natural) off-hand attacks.
I did a search of the SRD (http://www.google.com/custom?q=off-hand&hl=en&client=google-coop-np&cof=FORID:1%3BAH:left%3BS:http://www.d20srd.org/%3BCX:Hypertext%2520d20%2520SRD%2520Search%3BL:htt p://www.d20srd.org/images/logo.png%3BLH:78%3BLP:1%3BBGC:%23f2e6da%3BLC:%2300 0099%3BVLC:%23663399%3BGALT:%2399826b%3BGFNT:%2333 3300%3BGIMP:%23333300%3B&cx=015155386140379294602:k9hv7ukafn4&adkw=AELymgW9siYz9Ua9D_3DZwd05mPC3WfoGOSkbJyO7vVMF _t0BAo8soXSQnnl8h3j8sDgsUbMgfMSna_x0v104OYKrYqeFFy rOUlDomr0q_Qlm0Eh-BLTMKYH6y-y_PCY5ZqmCRkm2TYfyisnyr4DRdiYw2CTfoas2g&start=0&sa=N) and I could find nothing that says your off-hand is fixed or transferable.
Another clue is that the official 3.5 character sheet has nowhere to put handedness.

Let's see where this goes then :smallsmile:

I don't think the PHB goes into much detail, but there is a glossary entry for off-hand.

off hand

A character's weaker or less dexterous hand (usually the left). An attack made with the off hand incurs a -4 penalty on the attack roll. In addition, only one-half of a character's Strength bonus may be added to damage dealt with a weapon held in the off hand.

It is clear from that that you cannot switch which hand is the off-hand at a whim, but as I said, granting ambidexterity through the TWF feat might make a reasonable house rule.

On another note, you example is flawed. Secondary natural attacks are not off-hand attacks. :smallamused:

Rad
2007-11-08, 11:14 AM
A 463 continuing

A. 463 Clarification

I don't think the PHB goes into much detail, but there is a glossary entry for off-hand.

It is clear from that that you cannot switch which hand is the off-hand at a whim, but as I said, granting ambidexterity through the TWF feat might make a reasonable house rule.

On another note, you example is flawed. Secondary natural attacks are not off-hand attacks. :smallamused:

what about an attack made with armor spikes? If I have a 2HW and armor spikes, can I use either attack without incurring in the -4 penalty?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-08, 11:37 AM
A. 463 Continued

A 463 continuing

what about an attack made with armor spikes? If I have a 2HW and armor spikes, can I use either attack without incurring in the -4 penalty?

Yes. Armor spikes can be used to make a regular melee attack at no penalty if that is the only weapon you are attacking with.

Armor Spikes: ... You can also make a regular melee attack (or off-hand attack) with the spikes, and they count as a light weapon in this case. (You can’t also make an attack with armor spikes if you have already made an attack with another off-hand weapon, and vice versa.)

cupkeyk
2007-11-08, 12:18 PM
Q 470

Does a wizard with Southern Magician(RoF) and Arcane Disciple - Magic Domain (CDiv) qualify for the Dweomerkeeper (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/More_Divinity.zip) PRC (CDiv web enhancement) at level 5 (Scribe Scroll is free for wizards, max ranks in Knowledge Arcana and Spellcraft)?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-08, 12:46 PM
A. 470

No.

Arcane Disciple does not actually grant you the Magic domain, you are just allowed to add the domain spells to your spell list.

Southern Magician will most likely not let you meet the requirement of being able to cast divine spells, since "The actual source of the spell's power doesn't change...".
However, you are casting an arcane spell as a divine spell, so a very literal approach that ignores RAI and the part I quoted above would allow for meeting that requirement.

Jasdoif
2007-11-08, 04:32 PM
You can perform an immediate action "at any time", which probably includes in the middle of performing a standard action, like casting a spell, so you would not lose the spell.This does not seem right to me. Since an immediate action does require effort, wouldn't you have to cease concentrating on the spell you're in the middle of casting to take it, and thus you'd lose the spell?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-08, 04:42 PM
This does not seem right to me. Since an immediate action does require effort, wouldn't you have to cease concentrating on the spell you're in the middle of casting to take it, and thus you'd lose the spell?

I agree completely, I would not allow it to be taken "at any time".
I would have worded it differently if I had written the text on Immediate Actions.

I changed my answer when I checked the language used under Immediate Actions and noticed there was no restriction in the text on the "at any time".

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-09, 03:27 AM
Q 471

Does the Practiced Manifester feat have the [psionic] descriptor?

EDIt-
Q 472

Your key ability score grants you additional power points equal to your key ability modifier × your manifester level ×½.

Assuming that Practiced Manifester works the same way as Practiced Spellcaster, does that mean it increases the number of bonus PP I get from a high ability score?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-09, 03:35 AM
A. 471

Yes.

A. 472

Yes.

gareth
2007-11-09, 05:25 AM
Q473
I've heard of an ability that turns energy-based spells into half negative energy and half cold. Something Something Uttercold. Where is this described, and what are the requirements to get this ability?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-09, 06:19 AM
A. 473

Lord of the Uttercold (feat) from Complete Arcane.
The requirements are 9 ranks in Knowledge (the planes), Energy Substitution (cold) and the ability to cast a spell with the cold descriptor.

Rad
2007-11-09, 08:36 AM
Q 474

Can I get a +X defending enchantment on my armor spikes? Is it a cheesy way to enhance my AC with cheap money and still make my attacks with other weapons?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-09, 08:47 AM
A. 474

Armor Spikes are certainly valid target for the Defending enhancement, but I am not sure if I would call it cheap.

Furtehermore, the description suggests that you have to actually use the weapon to get the AC bonus.

As a free action, the wielder chooses how to allocate the weapon’s enhancement bonus at the start of his turn before using the weapon, ...

cupkeyk
2007-11-09, 09:34 AM
Q 475

Is there a feat that changes a supernatural ability's emanation from burst to any other type particularly a cold or a line?

cupkeyk
2007-11-09, 11:30 AM
Q 476

I am sorry if this a n00b question. Does a "targeted spell" refer only to spells with the entry Target: One Creature/ One Creature Touched/ Creatures per level and so on? Or does it include spells that have the word target in the spell descriptor, particularly rays?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-09, 12:15 PM
A 476
"Targeted Spells" refer only to spells with a "Target" line in their header.

Rays produce Effects rather than directly affecting a target. They are no different from other spells that produce magical effects with which you can attack other than the fact that rays are usually only good for one attack rather than sticking around like a flame blade or flaming sphere.

Morbius
2007-11-09, 01:04 PM
Q 477

A spell that requires a immediate action or swift action to cast provokes AoOs?

Belkarseviltwin
2007-11-09, 02:27 PM
A477 (partial)
A swift-action spell does not provoke an AoO. No idea about immdeiate actions, but the only immediate-action spell I know of is featherfall, and that's unlikely to be cast while threatened- though possible.

In my game, if this came up I'd say that Immediate action means no AoO, as it's like a Swift action. However, I have no source for this.

gareth
2007-11-09, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the answer to 473.

Morbius
2007-11-09, 03:26 PM
That partial answer was all I needed, well , almost, can you tell me what is the source of tha info?

Mavian
2007-11-09, 04:04 PM
A477 con't

Swift and Immediate actions (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#swiftActions)

Casting a spell with a casting time of 1 swift action does not provoke attacks of opportunity

Belkarseviltwin
2007-11-09, 04:04 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#swiftActions

Morbius
2007-11-09, 04:06 PM
Ok, thanks everyone

Yeygresh
2007-11-09, 06:25 PM
Q. 478

Can I use the Arcane Channeling feature from the Duskblade class to channel a touch range spell(ie Shocking Grasp) through a maneuver(ie Burning Blade)?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-09, 06:52 PM
A. 478

Yes, as long as the maneuver just provides a benefit to your next melee attack (like most Boosts) and does not require their own standard or full action to initiate (like most Strikes).

Arcane Channeling can still be used with Strikes, but then you most first use Arcane Channeling and then Hold the Charge and then on a subsequent action use a Strike maneuver.

Chronos
2007-11-09, 07:38 PM
Q479: Ordinarily when a druid wildshapes, he gains the new form's extraordinary special attacks, but not its special qualities. What methods exist to allow a druid to gain extraordinary special qualities as well? Ideally, I'd like something reachable by level 9, and which does not interfere with full casting progression.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-09, 07:43 PM
A479 If you're exalted, there's the Exalted Wild Shape feat. There's also a spell in the Spell Compendium (enhance wild shape, I think) that gives you a variety of new options for your next wild shape use.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-09, 07:49 PM
A. 475

I don't think so.

A. 479

Short of casting Shapechange from a scroll, I don't think so.

dyslexicfaser
2007-11-09, 11:14 PM
Q480
I'm a bit dodgy on the Mounted Combat rules. I'm assuming both you and your mount can't both attack at once, but if you choose to, can your mount make an attack instead of you if you're otherwise occupied? Or can they only move and double-move?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-10, 05:10 AM
A. 480

Both you and your mount can make attacks provided it is a mount trained for war and you make the DC 10 ride check.

More information can be found under the ride skill description and in the combat chapter under Mounted Combat (special attacks section). Another good source with somewhat more in depth descriptions are the Rules of the Game articles, All About Mounts (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/rg).

Any follow up questions can probably be answered here. :smallsmile:

Fax Celestis
2007-11-10, 06:34 PM
Q481 If a spell creates a semipermanent weapon (like, say, thunderlance, flame dagger, or flame blade), can I use that with the Duskblade's Arcane Channeling ability?

Q482 Is there a spell that creates a weaponlike manifestation (such as what was listed above) in the form of a lance? In particular, is there one that acts like a lance on a mounted charge?

Kinthas
2007-11-10, 06:52 PM
Q. 483

Preamble:
The Shield Charge feat (Complete Warrior, p. 105) allows a trip attack following a successful charge w/shield bash attack. The text of Improved Trip states, "If you trip an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt" [emphasis added]. For a Shield Charge, your attack is used for a charge, not for a trip attempt. The trip attempt is granted by the charge after a determination of success or failure.

Question (apologies for the relative un-simplicity of the wording of this question):
If you have both the Improved Trip and Shield Charge feats and you make a successful Shield Charge attack granting you a free trip attempt, do you also receive a free attack at your highest attack bonus if you manage to knock your opponent prone, even though your attack was not originally used for a trip attempt?

Q. 484

Does a standard action taken during a move action (e.g. overrun) mean that (a) you still retain a standard action with which to attack or cast a spell after your move is complete, (b) you still retain a move action but not a standard action because your movement actually counted as a standard action, or (c) you have used all your actions for the turn?

dyslexicfaser
2007-11-11, 04:48 AM
I've never heard of a spell to create a lance like that, Fax.

Q485
If a paladin can choose his mount's feats, is anything stopping the mounts from picking up, say, Leap Attack if they have the +8 jump prereq, or similarly awesome feats?

squishycube
2007-11-11, 05:06 AM
A483
Yes, you meet the requirements for the use of each feat.

A484
You use all your actions (except the free actions). The wording is like it is to tell you that you make the attack during the move action, like with Spring Attack.

A485
Usually, yes. Some DM's will build the mount for you though and then you don't get to choose.

Sorry Fax, I don't know the answers to your questions.

Curmudgeon
2007-11-11, 06:00 AM
Q. 484

Preamble:
The text of Improved Overrun states, "You can attempt an overrun as a standard action taken during your move, or as part of a charge. (In general, you cannot take a standard action during a move; this is an exception.)"
Q 484 Clarifications

This is not the text of Improved Overrun. It is the original text of the Overrun special attack in the Combat chapter of the Player's Handbook (page 157).
The PH errata have removed the ", or as part of a charge" clause, so Kinthas's quote is incorrect and misleading. Here is the correct statement:
Overrun

You can attempt an overrun as a standard action taken during your move. (In general, you cannot take a standard action during a move; this is an exception.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-11, 09:31 AM
Q481 If a spell creates a semipermanent weapon (like, say, thunderlance, flame dagger, or flame blade), can I use that with the Duskblade's Arcane Channeling ability?

A. 481

Probably not, but the description is not as clear as it could be.

Arcane Channeling requires that you make a melee attack with the weapon, which could rule out spells that manifest a weapon that require melee touch attacks only. (The 13th level full attack option does not list such a requirement, but it is reasonable to assume that it follows the same rules unless otherwise noted.)

My guess is that RAI probably refer to a manufactured weapon, but that requirement is not explicit, so a lot is left for DM interpretation.

Chronos
2007-11-11, 01:15 PM
A482 partial:Spiritual Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spiritualWeapon.htm) could in principle be a lance, if you find a deity with the lance as his favored weapon (there's probably one out there somewhere). But since you're not actually wielding it, I don't think you could charge with one.

dyslexicfaser
2007-11-11, 04:21 PM
Q486
Is Leadership's number of followers considered a 'charisma check'? Specifically, can the marshal's minor aura that adds to charisma checks up your number of followers?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-11, 04:41 PM
Removed because I did not read the question properly.

I apologize.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-11, 05:27 PM
A 486

No. A check is specifically a d20 roll plus some modifier. One's leadership score is not obtained through any sort of check.

sixpence
2007-11-11, 07:33 PM
Q 487

Can an IOTSV's veils be dispelled by a spell hitting them from either side of the veil? More specifically-- say an IOSTV has a blue veil up around her party. If one of her allies accidentally shoots through it with a Magic Missile, would the veil be vulnerable to the spell and disappear or would it only go away if an enemy (on the other side) was attacking the veil?

BizzaroStormy
2007-11-11, 07:34 PM
Q488

Which book is the "Improved Saving Throw" feat in? Or does it not exist?

Fax Celestis
2007-11-11, 07:56 PM
A488 Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, and Great Fortitude all are in the PHB/SRD and each provides a +2 bonus to a different saving throw. Also see the Luck of Heroes feat in the Player's Guide to Faerun: +1 luck bonus to all saves.

BizzaroStormy
2007-11-11, 08:22 PM
A488 Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, and Great Fortitude all are in the PHB/SRD and each provides a +2 bonus to a different saving throw. Also see the Luck of Heroes feat in the Player's Guide to Faerun: +1 luck bonus to all saves.

Im talking about a feat titled "Improved Saving Throw"

Fax Celestis
2007-11-11, 08:35 PM
Im talking about a feat titled "Improved Saving Throw"

There is no feat called that which I'm aware of.

Thyatira3902
2007-11-11, 08:55 PM
Q489

Are the Faerun/forgotton realms, and eberron all considered core 3.5 material? can they be used in core games easily? or is there some major shift in worlds and ideas? I've been seeing a lot of character builds and whatnot with classes from those settings and i was wondering how well/difficult they worked in core settings.

Chronos
2007-11-11, 09:55 PM
A489: Core is the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master Guide, and Monster Manual, so no, none of the setting materials are core. If you want to use material from one of them in a game, the answer is to ask your DM, just like material from any other non-core source.

Enlong
2007-11-11, 10:44 PM
Q 490

Say I wanted to create something... sort of like a Gundam (for lack of a better, just-as-recognizable term), meaning a monstrous machine "piloted" by some other creature. Now, is there some kind of preexisting thing I can go on here, or do I just make a Construct that doesn't move unless there's someone in it?

Ah, let me just be cut-and-dry, I'm trying to stat out Magitech Armor, and I want to know if I should make it a piloted construct.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-12, 02:47 AM
A. 487

The description is silent on the matter, so the right spell from either side would dispel it.

squishycube
2007-11-12, 05:22 AM
A490
Creating custom magic items will always require DM fiat, there is no RAW answer.

Akennedy
2007-11-12, 11:41 AM
Q491

To use the Combat Expertise feat, do I need to make an attack action? (more specifically, do I need to take a specific action to use the combat expertise feat?)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-12, 11:45 AM
A. 491

Yes.

When you use the attack action or the full attack action in melee, ...

Chronos
2007-11-12, 12:35 PM
A490 expansion: The question asked about similar pre-existing items to use as a reference, and there are a couple of those. First, the Golem Armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/artifacts.htm#golemArmor), which is unfortunately an artifact, and therefore does not say much about pricing or construction guidelines. Second is the Apparatus of the Crab (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#apparatusoftheCrab) (AKA Apparatus of Kwalish), a wonderous item which costs 90,000 GP and can be made by a 19th-level cleric. There might also be a construct somewhere which has a similar effect, but I'm not aware of it offhand.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-12, 12:43 PM
Minor Nitpick.

Second is the Apparatus of the Crab (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#apparatusoftheCrab) (AKA Apparatus of Kwalish), a wonderous item which costs 90,000 GP and can be made by a 19th-level cleric.

Being a 19th level cleric is not a requirement for construction.

cupkeyk
2007-11-12, 01:24 PM
Q492

Computation question: A Knight6 Dragon Devotee3 with 26 Charisma who takes Dragon Cohort(Draconomicon) can get a CR10(EL15) dragon (specifically, an adult Sapphire) because of the -3 to the dragon's effective level from the feat and the character's 17 leadership score. Or does the knight's HD(9), limit his cohort level (to 7HD)?

theterran
2007-11-12, 03:38 PM
Q 493

Question concerning the following scenario:

As a first level Wizard, I take Precocious Apprentice and get Scorching Ray as my Level 2. Along with that I take the reserve feat Fiery Burst which grants +1 CL to fire spells. I also use the Domain Variant taking the fire domain which grants +1 CL to any spells in that domain I can cast, and scorching ray just happens to be in that domain.

So when casting Scorching Ray, I have a caster level of 3, and level 3 grants 2nd level spells; so would this allow me to be able to prepare 1+N scorching rays a day where N = bonus spells granted by my Int mod? And would this also let me cast Scorching Ray w/o the CL check?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-12, 03:47 PM
A. 493

No. The CL increase only apply to the casting of the spell, not the preparation of spells.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-12, 04:01 PM
A. 492

Leadership only worries about ECL, not HD.

Regardless of a character’s Leadership score, he can only recruit a cohort who is two or more levels lower than himself.

A level 9 character is limited to a ECL 7 cohort, but with the feat it effectively means a ECL 10 Dragon.

Chronos
2007-11-12, 06:14 PM
Being a 19th level cleric is not a requirement for construction.I didn't say it was, only that a 19th level cleric could do it. But the requirements include Animate Objects, Continual Flame, and CL 19, and the easiest way to get those is with a 19th level cleric (though I suppose you could also manage it with a 16th level bard, a 3rd level wizard, and a 19th level adept all working together).

dyslexicfaser
2007-11-12, 07:34 PM
Yet more mount confusion, here.

Q494
My special mount (a warpony) has BAB as per a druid of 16th level (12 BAB). Does this mean that his full attack becomes effectively 6 attacks (At 12/12/7/7/2/2)? Or does all this BAB simply improve the attack bonus at which he attacks with his two hooves? And...

Q494a
How does this interact with his free Multiattack feat? Does he gain another attack at -5, or does it do nothing, since he has neither 1 nor 3+ attacks?

Q495
Is there a section on mount items somewhere? I've also heard that a horse's horseshoes can be enchanted as a melee weapon, but it sounds too ridiculous to be true.

Gralamin
2007-11-12, 07:41 PM
A494
Natural attacks do not get iterative attacks.

A494a
Multiattack does not do anything in this circumstance (I believe).

I can't answer 495 :smallfrown:

Douglas
2007-11-12, 07:51 PM
494 correction
Creatures do not receive additional attacks from a high base attack bonus when using natural weapons. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#naturalWeapons)

A494a
If he does not have a secondary natural attack, then Multiattack does nothing.

Gralamin
2007-11-12, 08:08 PM
494 correction
Creatures do not receive additional attacks from a high base attack bonus when using natural weapons. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#naturalWeapons)

A494a
If he does not have a secondary natural attack, then Multiattack does nothing.

Gah I forgot the Not :smalleek:

Akennedy
2007-11-12, 09:21 PM
Q495

When a Character or NPC is blinded, what can or can't they do?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-12, 09:26 PM
A 495

A blind character cannot see. :smallwink:

Blinded: The character cannot see. He takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class, loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), moves at half speed, and takes a –4 penalty on Search checks and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail. All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) to the blinded character. Characters who remain blinded for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them.
(emphasis mine)

There is no restriction on actions a blinded character can take behond those mentioned above.

Jasdoif
2007-11-12, 09:28 PM
Q495

When a Character or NPC is blinded, what can or can't they do?This is Q496.

The actual Q495 is above:
Q495
Is there a section on mount items somewhere? I've also heard that a horse's horseshoes can be enchanted as a melee weapon, but it sounds too ridiculous to be true.

gareth
2007-11-12, 10:06 PM
Q497
What's the fastest land speed a first-level character can have, excluding all races with a level adjustment or hit dice?

dyslexicfaser
2007-11-12, 10:23 PM
A497
You mean the best land speed for a LA+0 race? Probably Ratlings or Catfolk with 40 ft. Barbarian gets you Fast Movement for an additional +10. Then you can throw on Speed of Thought (A psionic feat that gains a character +10 unnamed speed bonus) on top of that.

So, a psionic barbarian ratling: 60 ft by level 1.

gareth
2007-11-13, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the answer, that's exactly what I meant.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-13, 02:23 AM
I didn't say it was, only that a 19th level cleric could do it. But the requirements include Animate Objects, Continual Flame, and CL 19, and the easiest way to get those is with a 19th level cleric (though I suppose you could also manage it with a 16th level bard, a 3rd level wizard, and a 19th level adept all working together).

I know you did not directly say that, but I still brought it up because I could see that you thought a CL of 19 was a requirement, which it is not.

The CL in the entry is for a typical object of its kind, but there is no explicit level requirement for creating this apparatus.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-13, 02:28 AM
Q495

A. 495

There are examples of horseshoes with weapon enhancements such as flaming.

The main sources for magical horseshoes are DMG, Magic Item Compendium (MIC) and the Arms & Equipment Guide (3.0).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-13, 02:37 AM
A. 497 Addendum

Dash from Complete warrior adds another 5 feet I believe.

squishycube
2007-11-13, 04:49 AM
A495 Addendum
Armour for mounts is called barding and can be enchanted as well.

Asmodeus
2007-11-13, 08:49 AM
Q 498

I have a player with a human sorcerer, level 1, who wants to gain Prestidigitation as a Spell-Like ability. What methods are available of achieving this? Is there a feat available?

Its an Eberron Campaign, so the Dragon Mark of Hospitality would give this, but he has to be a halfling. I've considered an Aberrant mark, but prestidigitation isn't one of the listed available spells.

Theli
2007-11-13, 11:39 AM
Q 499

What is the casting time and what are the somatic, verbal, and/or material components of using the spell-like ability of the Eberron Least Mark of Finding (Identify). And does it provoke an AOO? Is there any Errata for this, official or off-hand by the settings creator?

Asmodeus
2007-11-13, 11:45 AM
Q 499

What is the casting time and what are the somatic, verbal, and/or material components of using the spell-like ability of the Eberron Least Mark of Finding (Identify). And does it provoke an AOO? Is there any Errata for this, official or off-hand by the settings creator?

A 499

I assume your main concern here is whether you need that 100 GP pearl every time you want to activate your dragonmark. The short answer is no.

A spell like ability from a Dragonmark functions just like any other spell-like ability.

There are no somatic, verbal, or material components, unless the description of the ability explicitly states otherwise.

Spell-Like abilities do provoke AoO, if used while threatened.

To the best of my knowledge, you can find the most up-to-date rules about Spell-Like Abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities) in the SRD, and there are no special exceptions for Dragon marks.

Theli
2007-11-13, 12:31 PM
Q 499 (Cont.)

And the casting time? I've heard that this would still just be a standard action. Is this valid according to RAW?

Asmodeus
2007-11-13, 12:34 PM
Q 499 (Cont.)

And the casting time? I've heard that this would still just be a standard action. Is this valid according to RAW?

A 499 (Cont.)

A spell-like ability has a casting time of 1 standard action unless noted otherwise in the ability description.

daggaz
2007-11-13, 01:08 PM
Q.500

Enlarge person is a lvl 1 wizard spell. If the base price of a potion is CL x spell level x 50 gold, then why is the enlarge person potion (assuming lowest CL possible) priced at 250 gold on the market, rather than 50 gold? I am assuming a balance issue, but this comes into play as I am buying potions for a rather silly endurance run competition.

squishycube
2007-11-13, 01:16 PM
Semi-A500
Well, I'm not sure. Minimum caster level for Brew Potion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#brewPotion) is third, so that would make the minimum potion price 250 gp. However, there are cheaper potions in the list, which implies one can artificially lower one's caster level to make the potion cheaper. Why this is not done with Enlarge Person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enlargePerson.htm) I don't know. I would rule that the effect lasts 3 minutes though, since its obvious that a caster level of third was used for the default potion.

Kioran
2007-11-13, 01:21 PM
Q.501:

If I use, say, a wand of CLW, which is a DC 20 UMD-check, what happens when I fail the check? Do I lose the charge? Does anything else happen?

Jasdoif
2007-11-13, 01:36 PM
A500 sort of

If the listed price isn't simply an error, it would mean the caster level on the potion is 5, and thus its duration is 5 minutes.

A501

Nothing happens. If you roll a natural 1 and fail, you can't try to activate the wand again for 24 hours; otherwise you can try again the next round.

Asmodeus
2007-11-13, 01:41 PM
Q.501:

If I use, say, a wand of CLW, which is a DC 20 UMD-check, what happens when I fail the check? Do I lose the charge? Does anything else happen?

A 501

If you fail the check to activate a wand you do not lose the charge, nor suffer a mishap. However, if you roll a natural 1, you cannot try to activate that wand again for 24 hours.

If you you are trying to activate the wand blindly, or activate a scroll, there is a chance for a mishap.

daggaz
2007-11-13, 01:43 PM
Semi-A500
Well, I'm not sure. Minimum caster level for Brew Potion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#brewPotion) is third, so that would make the minimum potion price 250 gp. However, there are cheaper potions in the list, which implies one can artificially lower one's caster level to make the potion cheaper. Why this is not done with Enlarge Person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enlargePerson.htm) I don't know. I would rule that the effect lasts 3 minutes though, since its obvious that a caster level of third was used for the default potion.

Even tho the minimum caster level is third, a potion brewer can choose to not imbue their potions with the maximum amount of power. This is why there are potions listed at lower prices. This is also why most wands are created at minimum CL, it is simply cheaper for the creator, especially in terms of xp.

Also, CL is equal to class level in this case. So it is more like they casted it at fifth level, if the base price really should be 50g.

Theli
2007-11-13, 01:50 PM
A 499 (Cont.)

Originally Posted by SRD
A spell-like ability has a casting time of 1 standard action unless noted otherwise in the ability or spell description.

I'm sorry, but that is still somewhat vague. The question then is if the description of the spell that the spell-like ability is based on is referenced, or if just the ability itself is left with no defined casting time and keeps the default of 1 standard action (and the "spell description" referenced in the quoted text only refers to spells that grant spell-like abilities.)

Asmodeus
2007-11-13, 02:11 PM
I'm sorry, but that is still somewhat vague. The question then is if the description of the spell that the spell-like ability is based on is referenced, or if just the ability itself is left with no defined casting time and keeps the default of 1 standard action (and the "spell description" referenced in the quoted text only refers to spells that grant spell-like abilities.)

For Identify, which takes a full hour, the spell-like ability will also take a full hour.

If the spell description says 1 round, like Summon Monster, then the spell like ability takes 1 round.

If the spell description says 1 standard action, like magic missile, the spell like ability takes a standard action.

If the spell description says its a swift or immediate action, like feather fall for example, then the spell-like ability is a swift or immediate.

If you have a really wierd spell like ability which doesn't have a direct relation to a spell, and doesn't specify otherwise, then it takes 1 standard action.

In all of these cases, if the description of the spell like ability says something different, follow what the description says.

Edit: Proven wrong below.

Edit: Proven right!

Theli
2007-11-13, 02:21 PM
Thanks. That helps a lot.

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-13, 02:30 PM
A499 - Definitive:

A spell-like ability is ALWAYS a standard action, unless the description of the spell-like ability says it is faster than that. Identify? Standard Action. Feather Fall? Standard Action.

Spell-Like: Spell-like abilities are magical and work just like spells (though they are not spells and so have no verbal, somatic, material, focus, or XP components). They go away in an antimagic field and are subject to spell resistance if the spell the ability resembles or duplicates would be subject to spell resistance.

A spell-like ability usually has a limit on how often it can be used. A spell-like ability that can be used at will has no use limit. Using a spell-like ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise, and doing so while threatened provokes attacks of opportunity. It is possible to make a Concentration check to use a spell-like ability defensively and avoid provoking an attack of opportunity, just as when casting a spell. A spell-like ability can be disrupted just as a spell can be. Spell-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled.

For creatures with spell-like abilities, a designated caster level defines how difficult it is to dispel their spell-like effects and to define any level-dependent variables (such as range and duration) the abilities might have. The creature’s caster level never affects which spell-like abilities the creature has; sometimes the given caster level is lower than the level a spellcasting character would need to cast the spell of the same name. If no caster level is specified, the caster level is equal to the creature’s Hit Dice. The saving throw (if any) against a spell-like ability is 10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature’s Cha modifier.

Some spell-like abilities duplicate spells that work differently when cast by characters of different classes. A monster’s spell-like abilities are presumed to be the sorcerer/wizard versions. If the spell in question is not a sorcerer/wizard spell, then default to cleric, druid, bard, paladin, and ranger, in that order.
http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monsterTypes.html

Asmodeus
2007-11-13, 02:51 PM
A499 - Definitive:

A spell-like ability is ALWAYS a standard action, unless the description of the spell-like ability says it is faster than that. Identify? Standard Action. Feather Fall? Standard Action.

I went back and checked some more sources. I think you are correct. That other SRD I quoted was misleading it seems.

Theli
2007-11-13, 03:26 PM
Ugh. I'm still unsure of which SRD to believe in this case. But I'll leave it alone for the sake of thread brevity.

Asmodeus
2007-11-13, 03:31 PM
Ugh. I'm still unsure of which SRD to believe in this case. But I'll leave it alone for the sake of thread brevity.

I went back and checked several sources. The SRD I quoted was clearly wrong. Use a Standard Action.

Jasdoif
2007-11-13, 03:36 PM
I went back and checked several sources. The SRD I quoted was clearly wrong. Use a Standard Action.It's a contradiction in the SRD. Both quoted sections are present.
A spell-like ability has a casting time of 1 standard action unless noted otherwise in the ability or spell description.
Using a spell-like ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise, and doing so while threatened provokes attacks of opportunity.

Chronos
2007-11-13, 03:50 PM
I know you did not directly say that, but I still brought it up because I could see that you thought a CL of 19 was a requirement, which it is not.

The CL in the entry is for a typical object of its kind, but there is no explicit level requirement for creating this apparatus.Huh, I always thought that was meant to be a prerequisite, but it looks like you're right. I stand corrected.

Asmodeus
2007-11-13, 04:07 PM
It's a contradiction in the SRD. Both quoted sections are present.

I also checked the Rules of the Game article relating to Spell-Like Abilities. It leaves out the reference to the spell description.

I'm not sure who to believe now.

Rad
2007-11-13, 04:08 PM
Q 502

I guess that what this half-ogre (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0216.html) does is an effect of having reach and a 2-squares thick threatened area; however it seems to me that you cannot provoke two attacks of opportunity with one action... am I missing something?

Theli
2007-11-13, 04:19 PM
A 502
Ninja ganked. Ow.

Jasdoif
2007-11-13, 04:20 PM
I also checked the Rules of the Game article relating to Spell-Like Abilities. It leaves out the reference to the spell description.

I'm not sure who to believe now.The primary source rule states that the MM is the primary source for rules on spell-like abilities. However, I'm uncertain where the bit quoted in the Magic Overview section is from and I can't check books right now. (I recognize the other; it's from the glossary of the MM)

Rules of the Game articles are not RAW.

A502

No, you're not. The line about "moving out of multiple squares as part of the same movement doesn't provoke multiple AoOs" is often overlooked.

Asmodeus
2007-11-13, 04:28 PM
Those articles may not be RAW, but they do often provide valuable insight and clarification into the RAW.

I checked the MM actual book glossary and it makes no mention of the Spell Description. Since thats the primary source, I'll go with that.

Douglas
2007-11-13, 04:34 PM
A499 comment
There is no inherent contradiction in the two rules that have been quoted here. One states that it is a standard action unless noted otherwise but does not specify where it must be noted. The other states that it is a standard action unless noted in the spell or ability description. The second is more specific than the first but does not contradict the first. Therefore I would say that there is no conflict, both rules are correct, and Identify as a spell-like ability takes an hour to use.

Magnor Criol
2007-11-13, 07:32 PM
Q 503

If, in the description of some class' special ability, it states that the character adds an ability bonus to a certain save that's not usually connected to that ability, do they add just the stated ability bonus, or both the stated bonus and the usual ability bonus?
For example (since I know that was worded fuzzily):
"ClassNameX adds his Intelligence bonus to his Will saves" - does that mean that A) they add their Int bonus to the Will save instead of their Wis bonus, or that they add their Int bonus to the Will save as well as their Wis bonus?

Chronos
2007-11-13, 09:01 PM
A503: Unless the ability states that it replaces the usual ability, it's in addition. The most basic example of this is the paladin, who adds Cha to all saving throws. Likewise for classes which add nonstandard ability modifiers to AC (the monk's wisdom), attack rolls (the paladin's charisma, on a Smite Evil), or any other roll.

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-14, 07:56 AM
Q 504:

Interaction between Dispel Magic and Maximize Spell feat. Would Maximize affect the d20 caster level check? Although the feat specifically calls out saving throws and opposed rolls, is this an opposed roll or just a roll? When used to suppress an item's ability (normally 1d4 rounds), would this be Maximized?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-14, 08:08 AM
A. 504

No.

Do Empower Spell and Maximize Spell affect d20 rolls
made as part of a spell’s effect (such as an attack roll or
dispel check)?

No. Any attack roll, saving throw, skill check, dispel check,
or any other d20 roll required to adjudicate a spell’s success or
failure is not considered a “variable, numeric effect” of the
spell and thus is unaffected by feats such as Empower Spell or
Maximize Spell.

Asmodeus
2007-11-14, 09:24 AM
A499 comment
There is no inherent contradiction in the two rules that have been quoted here. One states that it is a standard action unless noted otherwise but does not specify where it must be noted. The other states that it is a standard action unless noted in the spell or ability description. The second is more specific than the first but does not contradict the first. Therefore I would say that there is no conflict, both rules are correct, and Identify as a spell-like ability takes an hour to use.

A 499, Truly Definitive

I contacted Wizards Customer Support to get the real scoop on this. here is the response I got.

The FAQ clarifies this, the spell-like ability takes the same amount of time to complete as the spell that it mimics unless otherwise stated.

So, my original response was in fact correct. Identify as a Spell-Like Ability takes 1 hour.

Now, I went through the FAQ yesterday but didn't see this, so I'm going back through it again to see what I missed.

squishycube
2007-11-14, 09:35 AM
General Note
In my experience (and that of many here) Wizard's customer support is abysmal. They rarely get even the most basic of questions right and when you ask several times you usually get different answers.

Criticism aside, even if Wizard's customer support were fantastic and always right, the answers they give are not RAW and I'd treat the information provided in the same way as I treat the Rules of the Game articles: As in insight into rule intent.

The more cynically inclined do the opposite of what Wizard's customer support tells them.

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-14, 10:45 AM
Q. 505a and 505b

Touch Attacks
Bracers of Armor (and Mage Armor and Inertial Armor to lesser extents) provide 'Armor' bonuses to AC. Mage Armor (a requirement to create Bracers of Armor) and Inertial Armor both specify that they are created from Force and thus are applicable against incorporeal foes. Bracers of Armor makes no such stipulation. Likewise Force Screen and Shield give a 'Shield' bonus but specify they work against incorporeal touch attacks.

505a: Is the Armor bonus provided by Bracers of Armor considered a Force effect for counting it's bonus against incorporeal foes?

505b: Do the bonuses from Mage Armor, Inertial Armor, Shield and Force Screen (and possibly Bracers of Armor depending on the answer to 505a) apply to Touch Armor Class against non-incorporeal foes?

It seems very counter-intuitive that Mage Armor etc. would not apply to Touch AC, though by the RAW I cannot seem to find anything to back that assertion up.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-14, 10:53 AM
A. 505a

Yes.

They surround the wearer with an invisible but tangible field of force...

The physical attacks of incorporeal creatures ignore material armor, even magic armor, unless it is made of force (such as mage armor or bracers of armor) or has the ghost touch ability.

An incorporeal creature’s attacks pass through (ignore) natural armor, armor, and shields, although deflection bonuses and force effects (such as mage armor) work normally against it.

A. 505b

No, they grant an armor and shield bonus.

Incorporeal touch attacks are not the same as touch attacks.
Incorporeal creatures make physically attacks just like ordinary attacks are made, they just happen to ignore natural armor, armor and shields.

Theli
2007-11-14, 11:15 AM
Q. 506

What action is it to equip, and de-equip, an armblade component as a warforged.

Do the usual methods of reducing the "unsheathe" time work in this case?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-14, 11:19 AM
A. 506

Attaching or detaching a Warforged component is a standard action that does not provoke an AoO.

(ECS page 268)

kjones
2007-11-14, 02:33 PM
Q. 507: Stupid Questions about Wand/Scroll Use

So, according to the SRD, "the user of a scroll must have the spell on their class list." Obviously, this means that a Cleric can use any divine scroll, and a wizard can use any arcane scroll.

A. Can a sorcerer use any arcane scroll? Can a Favored Soul use any divine scroll? Or can they only use scrolls for the spells that they know?

Spellthieves use the Wiz/Sorc spell list. Does that mean they can use any arcane scroll without needing a UMD check?

B. What about wands? Who can just use them, and who needs to make a UMD check?

Curmudgeon
2007-11-14, 02:42 PM
Q 508 Is a natural 20 on a disarm roll an automatic success?

A natural 20 is an automatic hit on a normal attack roll, and disarm uses attack rolls. But disarm uses opposed attack rolls, and there's no attempt to actually hit the target, or the target's weapon, for damage -- merely to dislodge it.

- - -

A 507 A A Sorcerer can use any spell that's on the Sorcerer list, not any arcane scroll. A Spellthief can only use any Wizard/Sorcerer scroll, not any arcane scroll (such as an Assassin spell).

A 507 B Anyone with a spell on their class spell list can use them without using Use Magic Device, as long as they've previously identified the spell contained in the wand.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-14, 02:43 PM
A. 507A

The fact that the user needs to have the spell on his/her class list means that for the standard wizard or sorcerer the spell not only needs to be an arcane spell it also needs to be on the sorcerer/wizard spell list. There are arcane spells out there that does not appear on the sor/wiz list just like there are divine spells not on the cleric's list.

Having said that, spontaneous casters that have a limited number of spells know use the full list when determining which spells are on their list.

A. 507B

The same goes for wands, but the requirement that you need to be able to normally cast the spell is removed for safe use.

Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-14, 02:54 PM
A. 508

I agree, automatic hits (and misses) does not make much sense for opposed rolls. They should have made a note about it, but I don't think it is mentioned anywhere.

Curmudgeon
2007-11-14, 02:56 PM
A. 507A

The fact that the user needs to have the spell on his/her class list means that for the standard wizard or sorcerer the spell not only needs to be an arcane spell it also needs to be on the sorcerer/wizard spell list.

A 507A nitpick

Actually, it needs to be specifically on the Sorcerer list. There are a few spells that are Wizard only, such as Mordenkainen's Lucubration and Rary's Mnenmonic Enhancer. A Sorcerer doesn't have these spells on their list, and thus can't use a wand containing one of these spells as a way to meet any PrC requirements that involve prepared spells.

Jasdoif
2007-11-14, 03:05 PM
A508 maybe

A natural 1 (the d20 comes up 1) on an attack roll is always a miss. A natural 20 (the d20 comes up 20) is always a hit. A natural 20 is also a threat—a possible critical hit.

Seeing as the attack rolls used to disarm don't result in hits or misses, I don't believe the "automatic hit on natural 20" or "automatic miss on natural 1" could apply.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-15, 01:00 AM
Q 509

Can you UMD a staff, and how is the caster level determined when you do so(if you can)?

Q510

I vaguely remember a feat that forces opponents to make a Will save in order to attack you, because you don't appear to be a threat, so long as you do not take any combat action. Does anyone know what this feat is and what this feat is in?

Q511

Assuming aforementioned feat exists, could you use its effects to study your opponent as per the Assassin's Death Attack ability?

Curmudgeon
2007-11-15, 01:25 AM
A 509

Use Magic Device will activate a staff through Use a Wand. The caster level is that specified in the staff's item description (minimum 8 for all staffs).

Jasdoif
2007-11-15, 01:37 AM
A509 comment

The "Use a wand" use of UMD, which applies to other spell trigger items like a staff, says it allows you to activate the item as if the spell in it was on your class spell list.

So if you have an actual caster level, you use that when activating the staff if it's higher then the staff's caster level, as normal for a staff.

A510 possibly

I'm not aware of a feat with those exact mechanics (although as behind as I am in books now, that doesn't mean much)...however, the evade notice option of the Shadow Striker tactical feat in PHBII forces an opponent to make a Spot check opposed by your Hide check to attack you, if said opponent is also threatening someone else.

RTGoodman
2007-11-15, 01:42 AM
A510

The "Fade Into Violence" feat in Player's Handbook II allows you to make a Bluff check opposed by the opponent's Sense Motive check in order to make them attack your allies instead of you.

Apparently the whole thing is written up here (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Fade_Into_Violence,PH2).

Awetugiw
2007-11-15, 09:49 AM
Q512A.The spell Sunburst (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsS.html#sunburst) states it does double damage to creatures to which "sunlight is harmful or unnatural". How strong is this condition? Drow have light blindness. Do they take double damage? What about Orcs, with their Light Sensitivity?

Q512B.
Suburst also states that it does 1d6 per caster level of damage to undead. Does this "stack" with the double damage against creatures to which sunlight is harmful or unnatural? If, say, a vampire gets hit with a sunburst, and succeeds at its reflex save. Does it take one half of 1d6 per caster level damage, or half of 2d6 per caster level?

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-15, 10:44 AM
A. 512A

I would say that it is a bit subjective, however, going pure RAW, I would tend to lean towards Orcs and Drow taking double damage, while this is a bit of creative work, I would say that since Orcs and Drow take penalties from sunlight, that it would constitute being 'harmful' though with the Daylight Adaptation feat, this condition and the spells effectiveness would wane.

A. 512B
Yes, it stacks. A vampire saving against the spell would take half of 2d6/lvl. (At least that's how I read it; though I am often wrong.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-15, 11:00 AM
A. 512 A

There is a FAQ entry on this:

Do drow and other creatures with light sensitivity or
light blindness count as “creatures to which sunlight is
harmful or unnatural” for the purpose of sunbeam and
sunburst?

The Sage is leery of extending the definitions of light
sensitivity and light blindness beyond the wording of those two
qualities. Each one specifically states its effect, and arbitrarily
adding corner-case effects usually isn’t in the best interest of
game play (it tends to create arguments and slow down the
action).
That said, it seems like a reasonable house rule to say that
sunlight is “unnatural” to a creature with light sensitivity or
light blindness. It’s certainly not unbalancing to the game.

A. 512 B

There is no stacking, the spell description notes what happens to undead explicitly. Undead harmed by bright light risk destruction if they fail their save, but they still only take 1d6 damage / level.

An undead creature caught within the globe takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 25d6), or half damage if a Reflex save is successful. In addition, the burst results in the destruction of any undead creature specifically harmed by bright light if it fail its save.

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-15, 11:48 AM
512B - Clarification

There is no stacking, the spell description notes what happens to undead explicitly. Undead harmed by bright light risk destruction if they fail their save, but they still only take 1d6 damage / level.

I don't know, I see it differently. Again, I could easily be totally wrong on this, but the way the description reads to me is:

Sunburst causes a globe of searing radiance to explode silently from a point you select. All creatures in the globe are blinded and take 6d6 points of damage. A creature to which sunlight is harmful or unnatural takes double damage. A successful Reflex save negates the blindness and reduces the damage by half.

An undead creature caught within the globe takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 25d6), or half damage if a Reflex save is successful. In addition, the burst results in the destruction of any undead creature specifically harmed by bright light if it fail its save.

I take that to mean that all creatures caught in the globe take (X DAMAGE) and are blinded. X then equals 6d6 for non-(undead, ooze, fungi or other light sensitive being). X equals 12d6 for (non-undead, ooze, or fungi) who is sensitive to light (e.g. Derro, Drow and Orcs). X equals (Caster Level)d6 vs. Undead, Oozes, Fungi, etc. finally it deals (2x Caster Level) to Undead, Fungi and Oozes that are vulnerable to Sunlight.

Under your interpretations, that the two paragraphs are unlinked, would mean that, for example Vampires and Myconids, would not be blinded by the spell. (The Myconid thing is really kind of an aside, but relevant, since they are described as being "fungi", as would Phantom Fungus, etc.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-15, 12:18 PM
A. 512 B - Clarification

Under your interpretations, that the two paragraphs are unlinked, would mean that, for example Vampires and Myconids, would not be blinded by the spell. (The Myconid thing is really kind of an aside, but relevant, since they are described as being "fungi", as would Phantom Fungus, etc.)

The description is quite messy, but you are taking a line from the first damage paragraph and is applying it to the second damage paragraph.

Sunburst causes a globe of searing radiance to explode silently from a point you select. All creatures in the globe are blinded and take 6d6 points of damage. A creature to which sunlight is harmful or unnatural takes double damage. A successful Reflex save negates the blindness and reduces the damage by half.

If you were consistent in reading the two paragraphs like that you should also apply the damage, so an undead creature would take 6d6 + CLd6 or 12d6 + (2xCL)d6 if also harmed by bright light.

I don't think that is the intend so I read the paragraph about undeads to replace the damage normal creatures would take (which is already more than doubled) with the extra effect of also being able to destroy undeads to whom light is harmful.

Chronos
2007-11-15, 01:28 PM
A 510 possible: There's also a first-level cleric spell Sanctuary (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sanctuary.htm) which does almost exactly what the question described. It's a spell, not a feat, but the question did say that it was "vaguely remembered". And it's attacks which break the effect, and studying an opponent isn't itself an attack, so it should work with assassinations (if the assassin has some way of getting the spell).

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-15, 01:32 PM
A. 512 B - Continued

A. 512 B - Clarification

The description is quite messy, but you are taking a line from the first damage paragraph and is applying it to the second damage paragraph.

If you were consistent in reading the two paragraphs like that you should also apply the damage, so an undead creature would take 6d6 + CLd6 or 12d6 + (2xCL)d6 if also harmed by bright light.

I don't think that is the intend so I read the paragraph about undeads to replace the damage normal creatures would take (which is already more than doubled) with the extra effect of also being able to destroy undeads to whom light is harmful.

The problem I am having with that is that in paragraph one, the sentence is a whole sentence which reads:

All creatures in the globe are blinded and take 6d6 points of damage.

So it is clearly and implicitly linking the damage and blindness.

When we get down to the effects against Undead in paragraph two, it defines the damage, but not the blindness, which sets up a situation where a Vampire or Fungus would not be blinded, since the effects agaist such a target are explicitly listed.

An undead creature caught within the globe takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 25d6), or half damage if a Reflex save is successful.

You have won me over though, I think in a strict RAW sense, you are right about what you say in your final lines:

an undead creature would take 6d6 + CLd6 or 12d6 + (2xCL)d6 if also harmed by bright light.

So, yes, I agree with this. Since no where does the spell list an "instead of" clause or anything similar. So in my opinion, (for what it's worth), the spell would deal damage to the following targets:

(Assuming minimum caster level (15), all targets are caught in the blast)

(A)Human: 6d6 (base damage)
(B)Zombie: 6d6 (base) +15d6 ({Caster Level}d6 vs. Undead)
(C)Drow: 12d6 (double damage vs. sensitive to light)
(D)Phantom Fungus: 6d6 (base) +15d6 ({Caster Level}d6 vs. Fungus)
(E)Spectre: 12d6 (double damage vs. sensitive to light) +15d6 ({Caster Level}d6 vs. Undead)
(F)(Unknown Fungal Monster with vulnerability to sunlight) 12d6 (double damage vs. sensitive to light) +15d6 ({Caster Level}d6 vs. Fungus)

All targets, A through F need to make one Reflex save to negate the blindness and take half damage (the first listed damage). Targets B, D, E and F all need to make a second saving throw to take half damage. If targets E or F fail the saving throw, they are destroyed.

On Edit: I've started a new thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63540) solely for discussing this. I think we both have made our cases clearly and they both have merit, for now though I am dropiing the subject so the thread stays clear for other questions. :smallcool:

Hyozo
2007-11-15, 03:11 PM
Persistent spell's discription limits it's use to "spells with a fixed or personal range". I can't seem to find what "fixed range" is. Would someone mind clarifying this for me?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-15, 03:22 PM
A. 513

It means that the spell header will say "Range: X feet" instead of range:

Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)

Range Expressed in Feet: Some spells have no standard range category, just a range expressed in feet.

Hyozo
2007-11-15, 03:25 PM
Thanks, that's what I thought it was, but I wasn't entirely sure.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-15, 03:48 PM
Q. 514

Does blindsight allow you to automatically notice people who are hiding within the radius of the ability?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-15, 03:53 PM
A. 514

Blindsight makes concealment and invisibility irrelevant.

Theli
2007-11-15, 04:34 PM
Q. 515

When you animate an object using the spell "Animate Object", what can you make the created object(s) do by RAW?

(A brief glance at the SRD seems to indicate that they can only attack one thing that you, initially, designate. Suggesting that you can't even designate targets after creation... Besides doing things other than attacking...)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-15, 04:50 PM
A. 515

The spell description is a bit vague, but the Monster Manual entry gives further instructions.

Animated objects fight only as directed by the animator. They follow orders without question and to the best of their abilities. Since they do not need to breathe and never tire, they can be extremely capable minions.

cupkeyk
2007-11-15, 06:33 PM
Q516

This is probably an issue about badly phrased feats and item descriptions. Will an Adamantine Serpent's Tongue Arrow overcome DR higher than 5? What if you have Ranged Sunder from Complete Warrior.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-16, 02:28 AM
A. 516

I assume that you by Damage Reduction mean Hardness.

Adamantine ignores hardness less than 20, so I think a reasonable interpretation is that for objects with a hardness less than twenty the adamantine serpent's tongue arrow will deal normal damage instead of half to objects.

It can still not be used for ranged sundering unless you take the Ranged Sunder feat.

The feat also has the added benefit that you can deal normal damage to objects and weapons with a hardness of 20 or greater (you still have to subtract 20 of course) if you are using a ranged slashing weapon such as teh adamantine serpent's tongue arrow.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-16, 07:49 AM
Re: 516

Adamantine ignores hardness less than 20, so I think a reasonable interpretation is that for objects with a hardness less than twenty the adamantine serpent's tongue arrow will deal normal damage instead of half to objects.
But unless that's a property of the Serpent's Tongue bit (not sure what that is at the moment), that's not RAW. The only effect Adamantine has is that it ignores hardness less than 20. All other damage modifiers still apply.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-16, 08:23 AM
Re: 516

But unless that's a property of the Serpent's Tongue bit (not sure what that is at the moment), that's not RAW. The only effect Adamantine has is that it ignores hardness less than 20. All other damage modifiers still apply.

Serpentstongue Arrow (RoW page 164) deals full damage to objects with a hardness of 5 or less and since adamantine ignores hardness it makes sense to ignore it. :smallwink:

Amiria
2007-11-16, 08:32 AM
Q 517

When someone takes ability damage/drain that would reduce one of his abilities to 0, if not for a temporary effect (like a Eagle's Splendour spell) or a permanent magic item (like an Amulet of Vitality), is he still ok or is comatose/paralyzed/dead ?