PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By RAW) IV

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-16, 08:39 AM
A. 517

He/She/It is still super duper.

Unless the item is removed or the spell effect ends before the ability has been restored of course. :smallamused:

Sylian
2007-11-16, 09:18 AM
A. 497 Addendum

The Quick Trait increases the speed with 10, but decreases the HP with 1/level.

Armads
2007-11-16, 10:39 AM
Q. 518

Can a player take free actions, besides speaking, when it's not his turn?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-16, 10:50 AM
A. 518

No, a creature can only take actions ( even free actions) on its own turn unless otherwise noted such as in the case of speaking or immediate actions.

Ditto
2007-11-16, 01:39 PM
Q 519

Does a Vicious weapon's retributive 1d6 damage penetrate armor of invulnerability's DR 5/Magic? The +1 Vicious weapon is magical, of course, but the vicious damage isn't typed so I'm unclear on how it applies.

Jasdoif
2007-11-16, 01:45 PM
A519

Yes. The damage is described as resulting from an energy, and DR doesn't protect against energy attacks.

Ditto
2007-11-17, 04:55 PM
Q 520a

Magic shields and armors cost half of what magic weapons do, which is nifty. When using a magic shield to do a shield bash attack, you do not get the shield's +1 enhancement bonus added to the attack, but you may enchant a shield separately as a weapon. 'Shield' is not listed on the uncommon melee weapons table in the DMG/SRD. Regardless of weapon enhancement bonuses to the shield, it still functions as a shield for normal 'Shield Bonus to AC' purposes. When enchanting a shield with an eye toward melee use (a +1 Shield of Frost, say), does the shield cost the Armor price or the Weapon price?

Q 520B

When a gauntlet comes with Magic armor, does the gauntlet gain any enhancement bonus to attack, since the armor is technically both armor and weapon?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-17, 05:23 PM
A. 520 A

It is enchanted as a weapon and shields are also on the weapon list in the equipment section, so you use weapon prices.

A. 520 B

No.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-11-17, 05:54 PM
Q. 521
Does one apply the bonus-and-a-half from STR to the primary attack and the half-bonus to the secondary attack on damage with a double weapon?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-17, 05:57 PM
A. 521

No, you only use the bonus-and-a-half when using the weapon as a two-handed weapon, not when used for TWF.

Xefas
2007-11-17, 06:00 PM
Q. 522

Assuming a character with multiple attacks casts Produce Flame on themself, can they take a Full Attack action to hurl a ball of fire with each of their attacks?

Ex. A Druid with 16/11/6 BAB, throwing 3 flames as a full-attack.

In a similar vein, are Gauntlets of Produce Flame (continuous) balanced for 4000gp?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-17, 06:07 PM
A. 522

Yes, the flames replace an attack so they can be used for each attack assuming the duration is long enough.

For you question about the custom magic item I suggest you start a new thread. I do, however, find it a bit too cheap.

SandDemon
2007-11-17, 08:38 PM
Q. 523

If I was an arcane casting class, but took Arcane Disciple (Complete Divine) for the Force domain....would casting magic missile be considered a divine or arcane spell?

Specifically thinking of a Dread Necromancer doing this to get Magic Missile and being able to use Divine Metamagic (with errata saying using on divine spells).

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-17, 11:58 PM
Q. 524

Are there any feats that grant you additional uses of spell-like abilities per day?

Q. 524b

More specifically, a friend of mine mentioned that there is an epic feat that changes a spell-like ability from 3/day to at will. Does this feat exist, what is it, and what book is it in? I have not been able to find such a feat.

Rad
2007-11-18, 03:57 AM
A 523

Q. 523

If I was an arcane casting class, but took Arcane Disciple (Complete Divine) for the Force domain....would casting magic missile be considered a divine or arcane spell?

Specifically thinking of a Dread Necromancer doing this to get Magic Missile and being able to use Divine Metamagic (with errata saying using on divine spells).

The Arcane Disciple feat allows you to add the spells to your list but they are cast as any other of your spells. In your case they are divine so they can be powered by DMM and do not suffer ASF from your armor as normal.

Curmudgeon
2007-11-18, 05:16 AM
Q 520B

When a gauntlet comes with Magic armor, does the gauntlet gain any enhancement bonus to attack, since the armor is technically both armor and weapon?

A 520B additional information

Armor gauntlets don't have any actual weapon properties. That is:
Armor gauntlets do no damage of their own.
3.5 rules removed all the regular gauntlets with weapon enhancements.
Wearing gauntlets, you're still considered unarmed.
Gauntlets merely modify your unarmed strike damage type, adding zero weapon damage. And if your unarmed strikes aren't trained, attacking with gauntlets will still provoke AoOs -- exactly the same as when Joe Commoner gets into a bare knuckle brawl in the pub.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-18, 05:47 AM
Q 525

What is the correct fly speed of a dark half-celestial human?

The dark template gives a +10 to all modes of movement.
Half-Celestial gives a fly speed 2X your ground speed.

Is your fly speed 90 (2X 40ft., +10ft?)

Q 526

Does a multiclass cleric/paladin have 6+2Xcha mod turn attempts/day?

Q 527

Ideal Ultimate Evil? Is that something like gating in solars and making them kill babies?

Is that actually possible?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-18, 06:23 AM
A. 525

If the Dark template had said that it added +10 to all base speeds it would also have been doubled, but it does not so I believe you have done it correctly.

A. 526

No, it is the same ability so you do not gain extra attempts from having it from two different classes. You effective level is of course increased.

In the special case of turning undead, both clerics and experienced paladins have the same ability. If the character’s paladin level is 4th or higher, her effective turning level is her cleric level plus her paladin level minus 3.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-18, 06:34 AM
A. 527

Yes, it is even fairly easy to do.

In the case of a single creature, you can control it if its HD do not exceed twice your caster level.

A controlled creature can be commanded to perform a service for you. Such services fall into two categories: immediate tasks and contractual service. Fighting for you in a single battle or taking any other actions that can be accomplished within 1 round per caster level counts as an immediate task; you need not make any agreement or pay any reward for the creature’s help. The creature departs at the end of the spell.

I think that you might become unpopular among Celestials though.:smallamused:

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-18, 08:53 AM
Q 528

Monks and Ring of Force Shield

Is a Monk, using a Ring of Force Shield
Force Shield: An iron band, this simple ring generates a shield-sized (and shield-shaped) wall of force that stays with the ring and can be wielded by the wearer as if it were a heavy shield (+2 AC). This special creation has no armor check penalty or arcane spell failure chance since it is weightless and encumbrance-free. It can be activated and deactivated at will as a free action.

Moderate evocation; CL 9th; Forge Ring, wall of force; Price 8,500 gp. considered to be violating their AC Bonus restrictions?
AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five monk levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).

These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-18, 09:00 AM
A. 528

No, it acts like a shield and provide a shield bonus, it is even shield shaped, but it is NOT a shield.

It is completely encumbrance free, so it even makes sense.:smallsmile:

sixpence
2007-11-18, 08:32 PM
Q. 529

What sourcebook would I look in to find information about the feat sudden shift? I've been having a really hard time locating it.

Xefas
2007-11-18, 08:35 PM
A. 529

Never heard of such a feat, but Wizards has a Feat Index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats) for just such a purpose.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-18, 08:53 PM
Q530 Does a creature with a Gaze attack (say, a medusa) who is subject to blindness, (say, via blindness/deafness) lose their gaze attack?
Q530a What about a creature who has attacks or spell-like abilities that originate from their eyes (such as a beholder)?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-18, 09:59 PM
A 530

Negation of eye-related magical abilities is not listed as a standard effect of blindness, nor is it listed as a limitation under the general description of gaze attacks. As such, we must rely on individual ability descriptions to determine if blindness has any effect. If no such limitation to the ability is listed, we can assume that the eye's capacity as a sensory organ and its ability to generate a magical effect are two independent functions that just happen to originate from the same location.

Since neither the medusa nor the beholder mention blindness as eliminating their respective abilities, they should be able to generate the desired effects just fine even if they cannot see. (Assuming, of course, that the source of blindness leaves the eyes otherwise intact.)

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-19, 01:57 AM
Q 531

Can you voluntarily cast a spell at reduced caster level?

Lord Xaedien
2007-11-19, 02:03 AM
Q 532

The Arcane Archer classes imbue arrow ability states that any spell with an area can be cast through an arrow. One of the guys in my D&D group argues that a single target spell has an "area" of one person, and can therefore be cast with an arrow using this ability. Is this true? And if not, what classes would allow ANY spell to be cast through an arrow?

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-19, 02:05 AM
A 532

Your friend is wrong. Area is not a fluff description, it is a mechanical one. Spells that qualify will have an 'area' entry in the spell description.

Like this:

Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-19, 03:10 AM
A. 531

Yes, as long as you can still cast the spell at the reduced level.

You can cast a spell at a lower caster level than normal, but the caster level you choose must be high enough for you to cast the spell in question, and all level-dependent features must be based on the same caster level.

Kimpire
2007-11-19, 05:30 AM
I've never played D&D seriously enough, so I need to ask some stupid questions.

Q. 533 I've asked a similar question before, but my thought process has changed a bit so I need to phrase it differently: If a mage wants to take control of a tiger, what are his spellcasting options?

Q. 534 Is there anything a bard can do to "trade away" his arcane spellcasting for something else? When I heard about prestige classes, I thought something might be appropriate there, but unless I'm wrong they give you bonuses without asking for any particular disadvantages along the way.

Asmodeus
2007-11-19, 07:39 AM
I've never played D&D seriously enough, so I need to ask some stupid questions.

Q. 533 I've asked a similar question before, but my thought process has changed a bit so I need to phrase it differently: If a mage wants to take control of a tiger, what are his spellcasting options?

Q. 534 Is there anything a bard can do to "trade away" his arcane spellcasting for something else? When I heard about prestige classes, I thought something might be appropriate there, but unless I'm wrong they give you bonuses without asking for any particular disadvantages along the way.

Neither of those are stupid questions.

A 533

You may not be able to get an exhaustive list, but the primary spell to do this would be Dominate Animal, but thats only available to Druids and clerics of the Animal domain. Druids and Rangers can also cast Charm Animal.

For a wizard or sorcerer, you can use Dominate Monster.

A 534

Ok, so this is more commentary than an actual answer, but it might be the best option available.

You can take classes in Rogue, to exchange arcane ability and bardic music and pick up sneak attack and trapfinding.

You can take classes in Ranger to exchange arcane ability and bardic music for tracking, favored enemy, and evenually, divine casting.

Kimpire
2007-11-19, 07:46 AM
You can take classes in Rogue, to exchange arcane ability and bardic music and pick up sneak attack and trapfinding.

You can take classes in Ranger to exchange arcane ability and bardic music for tracking, favored enemy, and evenually, divine casting.

Exchange exchange, or simply supplement? The intent of the question was to ask if there is anything in the rules that allow me to say, "I want to be a bard, but forget the spellcasting; give me Ability X instead of it". Sort of like the I'm-never-sure-it's-a-house-rule-or-not of being allowed to take a -2 in, say, strength to get +1 in, say, dexterity when you're rolling stats for character creation.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-19, 07:55 AM
A. 534 Continued

Unearthed Arcane has some bardic variants, but all of them keep spellcasting (although with some changes).

You can always choose a prestige class that does not advance spellcasting. You will still have spellcasting from before entering that class and it may not advance the features of the bard you want to keep.

It is difficult to say much more without knowing exactly what you are looking for.

theterran
2007-11-19, 08:13 AM
Q535

If taken at level 1, would the Feat Improved Toughness grant 2 HP at level 2? (1 HP for 1 HD at level 1, 2 HP for 2 HD at level 2) Or would it only grant 1 additional HP at level 2?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-19, 08:18 AM
A. 535

You would only get one additional HP upon obtaining your second HD.

The total effect of the feat is to grant you HP equal to your HD.

Adumbration
2007-11-19, 10:45 AM
Q 536

What is this Heward's Handy Haversack that I keep hearing about?

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-19, 10:55 AM
Q 536

A536

It's listed in the SRD (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItemsWI.html#hand-of-the-mage) as just "handy haversack"

Handy Haversack: A backpack of this sort appears to be well made, well used, and quite ordinary. It is constructed of finely tanned leather, and the straps have brass hardware and buckles. It has two side pouches, each of which appears large enough to hold about a quart of material. In fact, each is like a bag of holding and can actually hold material of as much as 2 cubic feet in volume or 20 pounds in weight. The large central portion of the pack can contain up to 8 cubic feet or 80 pounds of material. Even when so filled, the backpack always weighs only 5 pounds.

While such storage is useful enough, the pack has an even greater power in addition. When the wearer reaches into it for a specific item, that item is always on top. Thus, no digging around and fumbling is ever necessary to find what a haversack contains. Retrieving any specific item from a haversack is a move action, but it does not provoke the attacks of opportunity that retrieving a stored item usually does.

Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item, secret chest; Price 2,000 gp;Weight 5 lb.

Edit: Ninja

Asmodeus
2007-11-19, 10:56 AM
Q 536

A 536

Its the poor-man's Bag of Holding. Its basically a backpack that can hold a lot of stuff.

You can read about it in the SRD here:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#handyHaversack

Edit: Ack! Ninja'd!

Mavian
2007-11-19, 05:06 PM
Q 537

The spell Protection from Evil, has a list of things it specifically protects against, and my question is about the last of these 3.

Third, the spell prevents bodily contact by summoned creatures. This causes the natural weapon attacks of such creatures to fail and the creatures to recoil if such attacks require touching the warded creature. Good summoned creatures are immune to this effect. The protection against contact by summoned creatures ends if the warded creature makes an attack against or tries to force the barrier against the blocked creature. Spell resistance can allow a creature to overcome this protection and touch the warded creature.

Would this prevent an evil summoned creature from dealing damage with a manufactured weapon included in the summoning process, or does it only apply to the creatures natural weapon attacks?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-19, 05:46 PM
A 537

A manufactured weapon is not part of the creature. The spell only prevents contact with the creature. So it only affects natural weapons.

daggaz
2007-11-19, 06:00 PM
Q 538

If a large creature with only five foot reach wields a large spiked chain, their reach is still only ten feet, as per a normal spiked chain, correct?

Jasdoif
2007-11-19, 09:30 PM
A538

Correct. A reach weapon allows to strike out to double your natural reach, whatever your natural reach may be.

Gralamin
2007-11-19, 09:46 PM
Q 539

In regards to the Improved Rapid Strike feat (Dra p. 70), if a dragon had Improved Rapid Strike (Claws) and a Attack bonus of +20, would its full attack look like?

Would it look like: 2 Claws +20 and 1 Claw + 15, and 1 Claw + 10, and 1 Claw +5
or
2 Claws +20 and 1 Claw + 15, and 1 Claw + 10, and 1 Claw +5 and 1 Claw +0?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-20, 01:31 AM
A. 539

The latter. You can make up till 4 extra attacks if your BAB permits.

2 Claws +20 and 1 Claw + 15, and 1 Claw + 10, and 1 Claw +5 and 1 Claw +0?

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-20, 04:00 AM
Q 540

Can a cleric cast Miracle for a contingency, and then cast Miracle again to grab a spell from another list to contingency with?

Q 540b

If a cleric casts Miracle for a contingency, and then uses a quickened spell to fill the contingency, can a cleric put up a contingency in one round?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-20, 05:17 AM
A. 540

Yes.

A. 540b

Circumventing the 10 min casting of Contingency via miracle might not be possible, since Contingency could be interpreted to affect the casting of the second spell also.

The 10-minute casting time is the minimum total for both castings

Of course this is a very unusual mechanic, but since the casting time of the contingent spell is included in these 10 min (unless the casting normally is longer) I think that is a reasonable interpretation.

Kimpire
2007-11-20, 09:42 AM
Q 541:

Fill in the blank for me, please :)
Dominate Monster is a ________ spell.
(lousy? useful? powerful? useless?)
Essentially what I'm asking for is, what do people popularly think of the spell? How would I best fill in the blank?

(Also, if someone could get me the text of the spell description, I'd really really appreciate it.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-20, 09:51 AM
A. 541

You should start another thread if you want an in depth discussion about Dominate Monster, but I think that it is generally viewed as a useful spell.

The spell description can be found in the SRD (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35).

Dominate Monster

Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 9 Target: One creature

This spell functions like dominate person, except that the spell is not restricted by creature type.

Dominate Person

Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 4, Sor/Wiz 5 Components: V, S Casting Time: 1 round Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels) Target: One humanoid Duration: One day/level Saving Throw: Will negates Spell Resistance: Yes

You can control the actions of any humanoid creature through a telepathic link that you establish with the subject’s mind.

If you and the subject have a common language, you can generally force the subject to perform as you desire, within the limits of its abilities. If no common language exists, you can communicate only basic commands, such as “Come here,” “Go there,” “Fight,” and “Stand still.” You know what the subject is experiencing, but you do not receive direct sensory input from it, nor can it communicate with you telepathically.

Once you have given a dominated creature a command, it continues to attempt to carry out that command to the exclusion of all other activities except those necessary for day-to-day survival (such as sleeping, eating, and so forth). Because of this limited range of activity, a Sense Motive check against DC 15 (rather than DC 25) can determine that the subject’s behavior is being influenced by an enchantment effect (see the Sense Motive skill description).

Changing your instructions or giving a dominated creature a new command is the equivalent of redirecting a spell, so it is a move action.

By concentrating fully on the spell (a standard action), you can receive full sensory input as interpreted by the mind of the subject, though it still can’t communicate with you. You can’t actually see through the subject’s eyes, so it’s not as good as being there yourself, but you still get a good idea of what’s going on.

Subjects resist this control, and any subject forced to take actions against its nature receives a new saving throw with a +2 bonus. Obviously self-destructive orders are not carried out. Once control is established, the range at which it can be exercised is unlimited, as long as you and the subject are on the same plane. You need not see the subject to control it.

If you don’t spend at least 1 round concentrating on the spell each day, the subject receives a new saving throw to throw off the domination.

Protection from evil or a similar spell can prevent you from exercising control or using the telepathic link while the subject is so warded, but such an effect neither prevents the establishment of domination nor dispels it.

Reinboom
2007-11-20, 01:35 PM
Q. 542
If a tiny creature (with 0 reach) charges at a medium creature, can they enter the medium creature's square to finish the charge and attack? (Provoking an AoO)
The rules say against passing through, but, how definite this is, is strange to me.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-20, 01:47 PM
A. 542

Yes. You are not passing through the square, only moving into it. The space is of course occupied (another ordinary charge stopper), but the rules for tiny creatures allow them to move into squares occupied to attack.

The rules were written with medium/small creatures in mind, not tiny or smaller.

Alleine
2007-11-20, 04:37 PM
Q 543

Are innate spell-like abilities only granted by races/templates?

Jasdoif
2007-11-20, 04:41 PM
A543

Yes. That's what innate means, afterall; it's integral to the creature rather then the result of any training/experience.

If you prefer the FAQ to the dictionary:
What does “innate spell-like ability” mean for the purpose of qualifying for the Supernatural Transformation feat (Savage Species, page 39)? Does the Innate Spell feat create an innate spell-like ability?

“Innate,” for the purpose of the Supernatural Transformation feat, means “gained normally as part of the creature’s race, type, subtype, or kind.”

A duergar’s enlarge person and invisibility spell-like abilities, a tanar’ri’s summon tanar’ri spell-like ability, and a juvenile gold dragon’s bless spell-like ability are all “innate” spell-like abilities. A warlock’s invocations, a paladin’s ability to call her special mount, and any spell-like abilities gained from your class, feats, or similar sources are not.

Despite its name, even the Innate Spell feat doesn’t create an “innate” spell-like ability for the purpose of the Supernatural Transformation feat. This is simply an unfortunate case of the same word being used for two different purposes.

weenie
2007-11-20, 04:50 PM
Q. 544
Does arcane spell faliure apply to a quickened spell?

Q.545
What about a spell that is channeled by a Duskblade?

Asmodeus
2007-11-20, 05:00 PM
Q. 544
Does arcane spell faliure apply to a quickened spell?

Q.545
What about a spell that is channeled by a Duskblade?

A. 544

Yes, arcane spell failure can apply to a quickened spell.

A. 545

Duskblades have the Armored Mage extraordinary ability. They can ignore Spell Failure from Light Armor or Light shields. They are subject to Spell Failure from other sources. This applies whether the spell is being channeled or not.

At level 4, this ability improves to include medium armor. At level 7, it includes heavy shields.

Grym
2007-11-20, 11:05 PM
Q. 546:
What does the spell 'Cloister' do? the one Zykon used after elan, V, and durkon sailed off?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-20, 11:19 PM
A 546

Given the raging debate in the Order of the Stick forum, there is no spell called cloister in any official WotC publications. However, events in the comic point to the effect being a massive zone that prevents any sort of scrying. This is supported by Xykon's comment about Azure City being "off the grid."

Winged One
2007-11-20, 11:25 PM
A 546: Cloister is a spell that only exists within the Order of the Stick. For the purposes of this Q&A, it does not exist at all.

However, due to the power level of it's only known casters and the sheer scale of the actions of it's most recent caster, it could be a customized epic-level spell(the rules for which are found here (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicSpells.htm), including customization rules), which blocks all attempts to perceive something inside or enter it's area of effect short of epic-level magic that incorporates the Reveal and/or Transport seeds or the direct intervention of a creature with divine ranks.

Chronos
2007-11-21, 12:08 AM
A546 correction:
However, due to the power level of it's only known casters and the sheer scale of the actions of it's most recent caster, it could be a customized epic-level spellPer raw, it can't be an epic spell, since epic spells can't be stored in any item created by mortals, and it appears to be associated with the headband. And it appears to block Sending as well as divinations. Other than that, all that's known about it is that it has a huge area of effect and very long duration (or the headband allows for casting it repeatedly).

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-21, 08:07 AM
A546 correction:Per raw, it can't be an epic spell, since epic spells can't be stored in any item created by mortals, and it appears to be associated with the headband.
The headband could be a material focus. Or the Cloister Effect could a power of a major artifact not created by mortals. We really don't have enough information to be sure within the bounds of either the comic or D&D rules.

Chronos
2007-11-21, 01:20 PM
Q547: I'm sure I'm just overlooking something right under my nose, but how does one compute the save DC for a spell cast from a wand? Is it the appropriate spellcasting stat of the person wielding it?

Q548: Suppose a character is etheral, as (for instance) under the effects of Ethereal Jaunt. If he drops an item, what happens?
A: The item immediately becomes material again
B: The item remains ethereal for the duration of the spell, but becomes material when the spell expires
C: The item remains ethereal indefinitely
D: Something else

Threeshades
2007-11-21, 01:20 PM
Q 549
Blade-bracers allow to have your hands free while attacking with them. Does that mean a character with claw hands (and no additional limbs) can actually use two blade-bracers (with two-weapon fighting) along with both claws and possible other natural attacks?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-21, 01:24 PM
A. 547

It depends on where your nose is I guess, but here is the paragraph you seem to have missed.

SAVING THROWS AGAINST MAGIC ITEM POWERS

Magic items produce spells or spell-like effects. For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.

Staffs are an exception to the rule. Treat the saving throw as if the wielder cast the spell, including caster level and all modifiers to save DC.

Most item descriptions give saving throw DCs for various effects, particularly when the effect has no exact spell equivalent (making its level otherwise difficult to determine quickly).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-21, 01:31 PM
A. 548

I do not think this is covered directly anywhere, but the lack of any mentioning of things becoming material if they leave your possession (see invisibility for such an example) would indicate that the correct answer is B.

You become ethereal, along with your equipment. For the duration of the spell, you are in a place called the Ethereal Plane, which overlaps the normal, physical, Material Plane. When the spell expires, you return to material existence.

Q. 549: Where are the Blade Bracers from?

Threeshades
2007-11-21, 01:45 PM
A. 548

I do not think this is covered directly anywhere, but the lack of any mentioning of things becoming material if they leave your possession (see invisibility for such an example) would indicate that the correct answer is B.

Q. 549: Where are the Blade Bracers from?

originally sword and fist. I dont know in which 3.5 book they are now.

EDIT:
Sorry theyre called Claw Bracer

EDIT 2:
Sorry again, I mean Bladed Gauntlets (this is confusing)

cupkeyk
2007-11-21, 02:35 PM
A 549
Sword and Fist and it has not been migrated to 3.5. Claw Bracer has been reprinted for 3.5 in the PGtF.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-11-21, 04:32 PM
Q 550
Do you lose your DEX penalty when flat footed?

weenie
2007-11-21, 04:39 PM
Q 551
How much would 375 pounds of adamantium cost?

Q 552
Can a Duskblade use the extra attack he gets when doing a full atack action under the effect of Haste to channel another spell?

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-11-21, 04:47 PM
A 551
We have listed prices for items in the SRD, so we can work out the cost of 375lb of adamantine:

Heavy armour weights are between 35 and 50 lb, averaging at 45lb. 375 / 45 = 8.33333333333....

Rounding down, that 375 lb of adamantine costs as much as 8 suits of heavy adamantine armour, i.e. 120,000gp

Rad
2007-11-21, 04:58 PM
Q 551
How much would 375 pounds of adamantium cost?

Q 552
Can a Duskblade use the extra attack he gets when doing a full atack action under the effect of Haste to channel another spell?

A 552

The Haste spell gives you another attack, not another standard action. Since you need a standard (or full-round) action to channel a spell the short answer is no.

However the 13th level Duskblade ability (Arcane Channel on a full attack) allows to channel the same spell and affect all the targets of a full attack. The Haste spell says that

When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding [...]
so with that ability you can affect one additional target with your spell.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-21, 05:03 PM
A 550

No. you only lose your Dex bonus to AC while flat footed.

Asmodeus
2007-11-21, 05:04 PM
Q 550

A 550

Strictly by RAW, No, your DEX Penalty remains on your AC when flat-footed, or otherwise denied a Dexterity bonus to AC.

cupkeyk
2007-11-21, 05:07 PM
Q 550
No. So there. Yeah, it doesn't work that way.

Flat-Footed: A character who has not yet acted during a combat is flat-footed, not yet reacting normally to the situation. A flat-footed character loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) and cannot make attacks of opportunity.

Curmudgeon
2007-11-21, 05:07 PM
A 551 No.

From the Online D&D Glossary (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_flatfooted&alpha=F):
flat-footed

Especially vulnerable to attacks at the beginning of a battle. Characters are flat-footed until their first turns in the initiative cycle. A flat-footed creature loses its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) and cannot make attacks of opportunity.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-21, 05:09 PM
A. 549

No, you cannot attack both with claws and the gauntlet, you can use two with TWF and other natural attacks though.

cupkeyk
2007-11-21, 07:12 PM
Q550

Will a Bard's Inspire Courage, a Dread Pirate's Rally the Crew and Marshal's Motivate Attack Stack or are they all Morale and such won't?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-21, 09:18 PM
A 551 (Not 550)

The Bard and Dread Pirate abilities mentioned are both morale bonuses and therefore don't stack with each other. However, Marshal Auras provide circumstance bonuses and therefore stack with both the Bard and Dread Pirate abilities.

Shalist
2007-11-22, 04:33 AM
Really basic...

Say you have some giant with a natural dex of 7. You peg him at 1 with a ray of clumsiness (ray of enfeeblement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rayOfEnfeeblement.htm), for dex). Now you throw on a ray of exhaustion for another 2 points of dex penalty when it fatigues him.

Does he still have one dex because "ray of clumsiness can not drop him below one," (ie, in order to get him to 0, none of the dex penalty/damage can come from something 'ray of clumsiness') or would the second dose of dex penalty push him over the edge?

And since this is likely to come up in the near future, any references that clarifies this would be appreciated (especially if they favor the 'ray + ray = paralyze' bit).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-22, 05:23 AM
A. 552

Really basic...

Say you have some giant with a natural dex of 7. You peg him at 1 with a ray of clumsiness (ray of enfeeblement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rayOfEnfeeblement.htm), for dex). Now you throw on a ray of exhaustion for another 2 points of dex penalty when it fatigues him.

Does he still have one dex because "ray of clumsiness can not drop him below one," (ie, in order to get him to 0, none of the dex penalty/damage can come from something 'ray of clumsiness') or would the second dose of dex penalty push him over the edge?

And since this is likely to come up in the near future, any references that clarifies this would be appreciated (especially if they favor the 'ray + ray = paralyze' bit).

The RoC spell has a duration so we will have to assume that the spell description applies for the duration and hence Dexterity cannot drop below 1.

It is very likely that this is not the intend and that the dex penalty is determined at the time of casting and fixed for the duration, but the description is silent on this.

Glawackus
2007-11-22, 10:33 AM
553. Are there any sources for information on the Argonth besides the Eberron Campaign Setting?

Emperor Demonking
2007-11-22, 01:02 PM
Q554: Can armor spikes be enchanted.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-22, 01:08 PM
A 554

Yes. They are enchanted seperately from the armor, as weapons (using the weapon enchantment rules).

PlatinumJester
2007-11-22, 02:39 PM
Q555 It says that a cleric has to use a standard action to command rebuked undead. Does this mean that I can only tell 1 undead to attack a round or tell everyone of them to attack or what?

Zen Master
2007-11-22, 05:00 PM
Q. 556

Trips and overruns.

Can a trip or overrun be made on a charge?

How many opponents can you plow through with an overrun - just one, or as many as you can beat with a strength check and have movement for?

Supposing I want to knock down my opponent - using overrun - but also want to attack him. Can I attack an opponent I've used overrun on?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-22, 05:10 PM
A. 556

You may overrun only one person and it cannot be done as part of a charge, since overrun is a standard action.

This fact also prevents you from attacking at the same time.

You can attempt an overrun as a standard action taken during your move. ... You can make only one overrun attempt per round.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-22, 05:14 PM
A. 555

The rules do not go into much detail on this.
A strict reading would only allow you to give commands to one at a time (RAW), while a more lenient interpretation could allow for perhaps giving the same orders to a group at a time (RAI?).

The cleric must take a standard action to give mental orders to a commanded undead.

Human Paragon 3
2007-11-22, 07:03 PM
Q557

If you maximize a spell that involves a caster level check, for instance break enchantment, is your caster level check maximized (i.e. 20)?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-22, 07:33 PM
A. 557

No, caster level checks are not considered part of the spell effect.

sixpence
2007-11-22, 08:37 PM
Q. 558

When a mage casts a spell that improves Con, e.g. Bear's Endurance, by how much would the target character's temporary HP increase? Would it be (using the same example of Bear's Endurance) +4 temp HP or would you have to factor in something else?

martyboy74
2007-11-22, 09:53 PM
A558 You would gain (or lose) a number of hitpoints equal to your hit dice time the modifier increase (or decrease), unless specified by the effect.

Note that these are not temporary hit points, and that you will lose (or gain) them when your constitution returns to normal.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-24, 12:15 AM
Q 559

What happens when you cast a Vampiric Touch via familiar? Where do the Temp. HPs go?

Curmudgeon
2007-11-24, 01:15 AM
Q557

If you maximize a spell that involves a caster level check, for instance break enchantment, is your caster level check maximized (i.e. 20)?A 557

There is no maximum caster level in D&D. Characters, with or without casting levels, can continue past level 20 mostly in the same fashion as they do before. Levels 21 and higher (Epic levels) have somewhat different advancement rules, but caster level advancement remains exactly the same as for levels 1-20.

Since there is no maximum caster level, it's not anything that Maximize Spell can affect.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-24, 04:08 AM
A 557

There is no maximum caster level in D&D. Characters, with or without casting levels, can continue past level 20 mostly in the same fashion as they do before. Levels 21 and higher (Epic levels) have somewhat different advancement rules, but caster level advancement remains exactly the same as for levels 1-20.

Since there is no maximum caster level, it's not anything that Maximize Spell can affect.

Maximize spell maximizes variable numerical effect die rolls under the constraint that CL is fixed.
I am fairly certain that the question was referring to the die roll and not the other parts of the CL check, but as answered above CL checks are not considered part of the spell effect and that is the reason they do not benefit from maximize spell.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-24, 04:21 AM
A. 559

Just going by the description it would seem that the familiar delivers the spell for the master, much like if done with Spectral Hand, and thus the master is still the caster and the beneficiary of the derived spell effect.

Deliver Touch Spells (Su): If the master is 3rd level or higher, a familiar can deliver touch spells for him. If the master and the familiar are in contact at the time the master casts a touch spell, he can designate his familiar as the “toucher.” The familiar can then deliver the touch spell just as the master could. As usual, if the master casts another spell before the touch is delivered, the touch spell dissipates.

Chronos
2007-11-24, 01:07 PM
...much like if done with Mage Hand...Psst, Spectral Hand, not Mage.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-24, 04:25 PM
Psst, Spectral Hand, not Mage.

Ok, that is the last time I provide an example or reference anything. :smalltongue:

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-24, 08:24 PM
Q559b

Is there a way for the familiar to gain the HPs (theoretically speaking, I'm not sure I want it too)?

Brawls
2007-11-24, 09:41 PM
Q560

What splatbook is Sublime Chord located in? Also, what are some of the key aspects of this PrC?

Thanks

Brawls

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-24, 09:54 PM
A 560

Complete Adventurer. IIRC, it is a PrC that gives 7th-9th level bard spells, and some ways to manipulate spells via bardic music.

Armads
2007-11-24, 09:59 PM
A 560

Complete Adventurer. IIRC, it is a PrC that gives 7th-9th level bard spells, and some ways to manipulate spells via bardic music.

It's actually in Complete Arcane.

Brawls
2007-11-24, 10:09 PM
It's actually in Complete Arcane.

Thanks for the quick help.

Solo
2007-11-24, 10:14 PM
Question: Can you use Greater Shadow Evocation to duplicate Contingency?

The Logic Ninja thinks so, and I'm tempted to agree, but there is a messy controversy surrounding whether you can disbelieve your own illusion or not.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-24, 10:34 PM
Question: Can you use Greater Shadow Evocation to duplicate Contingency?

The Logic Ninja thinks so, and I'm tempted to agree, but there is a messy controversy surrounding whether you can disbelieve your own illusion or not.

I don't think controversial issues really fit into "Simple Questions by the RAW". However, IIRC, you can always voluntarily fail a Will Save.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-25, 01:08 AM
Q 561

Is there a domain that grants Iron Will as a bonus feat?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-25, 05:26 AM
A. 559b

Q559b

Is there a way for the familiar to gain the HPs (theoretically speaking, I'm not sure I want it too)?

No (not without granting it as a spell like ability or similar), but I think allowing it is a very common house rule that does not even require much of a stretch.
You could require that the beneficiary is decided when the spell is cast and not when the opponent is touched.

Belkarseviltwin
2007-11-25, 11:18 AM
Q.562a
Is a creature's lifespan and age determined by the form it was born in or its current form?
Example: If a 90-year-old human is polymorphed (using Polymorph any object) into a dwarf, the change is permanent. Does he become a 90-year-old dwarf (not yet middle-aged) or a 270-year-old dwarf (20 years into Venerable)?
Let's say this human rolled a maximum lifespan of 93 years at character generation. After the spell takes effect, does he still have 3 years before his time is up, or is his lifespan re-rolled to take his new species into account?

Q.562b
From my reading of the spell, it's possible to extend your lifespan indefinitely by committing suicide and having the reincarnate spell cast on yourself the day you become Venerable- as the spell creates a "new young adult body" which sounds like it resets your age. Would this work, or is there some hole I have missed?

squishycube
2007-11-25, 11:46 AM
A562a
This is not covered by RAW. It seems reasonable to me that you'd stay in the same age category.

A562b
This is a reasonable interpretation of RAW.

Curmudgeon
2007-11-25, 01:50 PM
Q 561

Is there a domain that grants Iron Will as a bonus feat? A 561

I've checked 108 regular domains and 8 planar domains. None of them grant Iron Will.

Reinboom
2007-11-26, 04:16 PM
Q. 563
Can you opt to gain a hit die rather than a class level?

Theli
2007-11-26, 05:00 PM
Q. 564

Does empower spell increase the force damage of a spiritual weapon? (the magic weapon of force that results from the spell of the same name)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-26, 05:01 PM
A. 563

Only if you are following a racial (or savage) progression that is split up into levels. There is no RAW support for taking a monster HD if you have just opted for playing something out of the MM.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-26, 05:09 PM
A. 564

yes, it seems reasonable to consider the damage die for the weapon a variable numerical effect of the spell.

Tortoise262
2007-11-26, 06:04 PM
Q 565.

I have a question about using a lance while mounted. You are allowed to use it in one hand, but technically, it's still labeled a "Two-Handed Weapon." Does this mean that when a character uses a lance one-handed while mounted he can still add 1.5*STR to damage?

Chronos
2007-11-26, 08:19 PM
A564 dispute:
yes, it seems reasonable to consider the damage die for the weapon a variable numerical effect of the spell.I would disagree: The effect of the spell is a magic floating hammer (or whatever), not the damage done by the hammer. It seems most analogous to me to a summoned creature, and the damage done by a summoned creature is not affected by Empower.

A565: It matters how you wield it, not what kind of weapon it is. If you wield a weapon that's normally one-handed with both hands, you get the larger bonus, and if you wield a weapon that's normally two-handed with one hand (which usually gives you a stiff penalty on your attack roll, but is possible), you get the smaller bonus.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-26, 10:25 PM
Q 566:

I'm sure this has been asked before, and is a compound question, but both parts are kinda simple I think. About the loremaster's secrets table: in the PHB it says that 'your loremaster level + your int modifier determines the total number of secrets she can choose'. Does this mean that the loremaster can choose a number of secrets valued cumulativley up to their level + int modifier (i.e. if my level plus mod is 5 then I could pick the 4 mod and the 1 mod secrets with the same level reward) or that I can pick one of the secrets less than or equal to the int + level modifier? Also, does the int modifier need to be your 'natural' (unenhanced modifier) or would something like a Headband of Intellect let you pick a better secret?

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-27, 01:40 AM
A 566:

You pick one Loremaster secret based on you intelligence modifier + Loremaster level. I am fairly certain magical enhancement would count for this (I don't see why not, by RAW).

graymachine
2007-11-27, 02:14 AM
Q 567:

Under the specialist wizard variant rules in the SRD it states that a conjurer taking the Rapid Summoning ability perminantly gives up the ability to obtain a familiar. The way I read this is that the wizard loses the Familiar feat from the wizard base class. Could a conjurer, after taking the ability, gain a familiar via the Obtain Familiar feat? The wording on the conjurer variant simply seems poorly worded to me.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-27, 03:53 AM
A. 564 Continued

A564 dispute:I would disagree: The effect of the spell is a magic floating hammer (or whatever), not the damage done by the hammer. It seems most analogous to me to a summoned creature, and the damage done by a summoned creature is not affected by Empower.

It is a difficult spell to access and it would have been nice if Empower had spelled things out more clearly.

However, your analogy is flawed. The spell creates a force effect that deals damage it does not summon or call a creature, so the effect of the spell is also the damage done upon a successful hit.

A more accurate analogy would have been that of a Scorching Ray spell. The effect of the spell in that case is a "fiery ray", not the fire damage done to the creature, but I am sure we agree that the damage is still considered an effect of the spell.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-27, 04:03 AM
A. 567

The wording seems fairly conclusive, but if the intend was that a wizard could not obtain a familiar from other sources it had deserved a bit of elaboration.
Also note that the entry is about wizard variants and thus refer to the base class features of the wizard and not to any feats or classes the wizard may or may not take in the future.
Your reading thus seems to very reasonable interpretation of their use of "permanently" in this context.

The specialist variant wizard rules are not from the SRD, but from Unearthed Arcane.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-27, 04:07 AM
A. 566 Comment

Also, does the int modifier need to be your 'natural' (unenhanced modifier) or would something like a Headband of Intellect let you pick a better secret?

I obviously agree with Skjaldbakka, but note that you must keep track of which secret is obtained through the magical enhancement bonus in case you lose it.

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-27, 07:12 AM
A. 563 Dispute

Although the answer is not spelled out with perfect clarity, this line (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monstersAsRaces.html) from the SRD would seem to indicate that a monstrous PC can choose to advance by HD or by class level:

Level Adjustment and Effective Character Level: To determine the effective character level (ECL) of a monster character, add its level adjustment to its racial Hit Dice and character class levels.

Use ECL instead of character level to determine how many experience points a monster character needs to reach its next level. Also use ECL to determine starting wealth for a monster character.

Monster characters treat skills mentioned in their monster entry as class skills.

If a monster has 1 Hit Die or less, or if it is a template creature, it must start the game with one or more class levels, like a regular character. If a monster has 2 or more Hit Dice, it can start with no class levels (though it can gain them later).

Even if the creature is of a kind that normally advances by Hit Dice rather than class levels a PC can gain class levels rather than Hit Dice.

I would say that indicates that a PC may choose to advance by HD or by class level.

Theli
2007-11-27, 09:50 AM
Q. 568

Can a Cleric with the Magic domain make use of Eternal Wands? (Eberron Campaign Setting)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-27, 09:56 AM
A. 568

Yes.

Enlong
2007-11-27, 06:54 PM
Q. 569
Do the last 4 levels of Effigy Master grant Caster Level increase along with the increase in spells known / per day?

Also, on the subject

Q. 570
Is it legal to create a Terrasque Effigy? And if so, is it allowed to create one with fewer HD then the Terrasque actually has (like, say, 39)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-27, 07:04 PM
A. 569

Yes.

A. 570

Yes, but you need to create it with a minimum of 48 HD as per the MM entry.

Enlong
2007-11-27, 10:48 PM
Q. 571

Do creatures summoned via a Gate spell act on the same round they're summoned, as I have been led to believe?

Vazzaroth
2007-11-28, 01:55 AM
A. 571
Yes. In all other summoning spells, summoned creatures get their turn after the summoning is finished. However, if you need to bargain, Lesser Planar Ally states that you need to spend at least one round doing so, so it's first effective turn is next round after it's been summoned or later.

Q. 572

Does the Scorn Earth feature or the Elocater allow a character to fly, albeit slowly and unstably, but flight nonetheless? Or does it only prevent them from falling unwantedly if, say, the floor drops out?

Q. 573

Does the Flanker feature of the Elocater only allow the Elocater to gain flanking bonuses, or do both characters get the odd-angled flank?

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-28, 02:38 AM
Q 574

Are the Protection from C/L/G/E spells learned as one spell, or as seperate spells, for purposes of scribing into a spellbook? Are they prepared as one spell, or seperate, for purposes of casting? Are the learned as one spell, or seperate, for purposes of a sorcerer's known spells?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-28, 02:59 AM
A. 574

They are four separate spells and are treated as such.
IIRC this was a change from 3.0 to 3.5.

Charity
2007-11-28, 03:08 AM
Q575 When a wizard is preparing a spell from an unfamiliar spell book can they take a ten on their spellcraft roll?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-28, 03:26 AM
A. 572

It is not exactly flight, but rather an unstable walk through the air at a speed of 5 feet.

A. 573

Yes, you treat the designated square as if the Elocator was occupying it for flanking purposes.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-28, 03:29 AM
A. 575

Yes, but taking 20 is not possible due to the "penalty" for failure.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-28, 03:34 AM
Q 576

What is the name of the high CR monster that is the embodiment of balance in the universe? It goes around killing powerful creatures with extreme alignment, and has a sword with all 4 alignment properties.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-28, 03:44 AM
A. 576 Attempt

It sounds like one of the Inevitables?

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-28, 05:56 AM
Q 577

What type of action is it to trick an alignment weapon (ex. Holy) into not giving you negative levels, and when do you make the check?

My best guess is that it is a standard action, taken when you draw the weapon (making drawing the weapon a full-round action w/o quickdraw).

Q 578

Is there an Extra Favored Enemy feat? If there is, does it grant you an additional F.E. at +2, or does it effectively advance your favored enemy class feature once (granting you a new +2 enemy, and advancing an existing F.E. by 2)?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-28, 06:08 AM
A. 578

It appeared in Ghostwalk and Masters of the Wild, but I do not think it has been reprinted since.
It does not advance your previous choices, but it advances normally along with your other choices when your class feature advances.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-28, 06:15 AM
A. 577

I assume you mean through the use of UMD.

It requires no action. The most obvious time to attempt it would be when drawing the weapon. (Preferably out of combat so several attempts can be made)

Action: None. The Use Magic Device check is made as part of the action (if any) required to activate the magic item.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-28, 06:19 AM
Re: A 557

So it (the UMD check) sticks until you discard the weapon? You don't have to roll each time you draw it?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-28, 06:26 AM
A. 577

Re: A 557

So it (the UMD check) sticks until you discard the weapon? You don't have to roll each time you draw it?

No it only sticks as long as you are wielding the weapon. When you sheath or drop it you have to roll again when you draw it/pick it up.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-11-28, 06:30 AM
Q 579
As the capacity of the Portable Hole is measured in volume, but most equipment is measured in weight, how does one work out how much stuff the Hole can hold, assuming the individual objects do not exceed the volume restriction?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-28, 06:36 AM
A. 579

If no volume is given the DM/group make an estimate.

There are a few official articles (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20051101a) that might help a little.

PlatinumJester
2007-11-28, 01:07 PM
Q580 - what is the damage that a Huge sized Level 18 monk does with it's fists?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-28, 01:13 PM
A. 580

4d8.

2d8 progress as follows:

2d8 --> 3d8 --> 4d8 --> 6d8 --> 8d8 --> 12d8

cupkeyk
2007-11-28, 02:08 PM
Q 581

Are there penalties for wielding inappropriately sized shields?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-28, 02:14 PM
A. 581

No, but since shields can be used as weapons the amount of effort it takes to wield them changes with size.

It seem reasonable to extend this to also apply to bucklers and tower shields.

cupkeyk
2007-11-28, 02:21 PM
A. 581

No, but since shields can be used as weapons the amount of effort it takes to wield them changes with size.

It seem reasonable to extend this to also apply to bucklers and tower shields.

So a Halfling can use a gargantuan shield as long as he can carry it and he doesn't bash with it?

Chronos
2007-11-28, 02:38 PM
A579 expansion: Bags of holding have both a volume limit and a weight limit, but to completely fill to both limits requires a substance with a density approximately 1/10 that of water. Since very few substances (other than gasses) actually have a density that low, the volume limit is almost never relevant. So you should just worry about weight, unless your PCs are in the habit of toting around huge balsa wood statues.

Morbius
2007-11-28, 02:53 PM
Q 582

Is there any +0 or +1 level adjustment large race?

Alleine
2007-11-28, 03:30 PM
Q 583

Can an Erudite learn any psionic power, or just discipline and psion/wilder powers?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-28, 03:57 PM
So a Halfling can use a gargantuan shield as long as he can carry it and he doesn't bash with it?

No, the fact that they are also weapons mean that they follow the same rules for how much effort they take to wield.

A large shield sized for medium creatures (a one handed weapon) thus needs two hands to be wielded by a small creature and a large shield sized for large creatures simply cannot be wielded by a small creature.

The rules do not go into detail about size and shields, but it should not be too difficult when using just a little common sense.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-28, 04:00 PM
A. 582

No, I don't think so.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-28, 04:07 PM
A. 583

Learning Discipline and Psion/Wilder powers are the only options described in the entry for the Erudite.

TheLogman
2007-11-28, 08:20 PM
Q. 584: Can druids Wildshape into swarms (Specifically of Elementals or Animals)?

MeklorIlavator
2007-11-28, 08:39 PM
Q585

The SRD states the following in regards to thrown weapons:

Daggers, clubs, shortspears, spears, darts, javelins, throwing axes, light hammers, tridents, shuriken, and nets are thrown weapons. The wielder applies his or her Strength modifier to damage dealt by thrown weapons (except for splash weapons). It is possible to throw a weapon that isn’t designed to be thrown (that is, a melee weapon that doesn’t have a numeric entry in the Range Increment column on Table: Weapons), but a character who does so takes a –4 penalty on the attack roll. Throwing a light or one-handed weapon is a standard action, while throwing a two-handed weapon is a full-round action. Regardless of the type of weapon, such an attack scores a threat only on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. Such a weapon has a range increment of 10 feet.

My interest is mainly on the bolded part, because this statement could apply to all thrown weapons, or only those that are improvised as such. This is causing a debate in the Thrown weapons in combat thread I started, so which would it be?

martyboy74
2007-11-28, 08:51 PM
A585 That clause only applies to improvised thrown weapons.

ocato
2007-11-28, 09:22 PM
Q586

Druids can only assume the shape of a creature up to their HD and their allotted size when they wildshape. So could a druid wildshape into a creature that is advanced to his HD so long as his size stays within the allowed parameters? For example, could a L9 druid wildshape into a Brown Bear with 9 HD instead of the listed 6? The entry lists a Brown Bear's advancement as being large at 9 HD, and druids gain the ability to wildshape into large creatures at L8 so it seems to be copacetic.

Q587

What's the name of this monster I can't remember. It has a vorpal bite and famine or pestilence or something in the name. They are used to ruin crops and destroy farmland, and are a mildly high CR, I just can't remember the name.

thanks!

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-28, 11:20 PM
A 586

Most shapechanging effects don't allow one to take on the form of a creature advanced beyond their standard entry. However, the "polymorph errata" removed any reference to that being the case with Wild Shape. As this restriction is called out in specific shapechanging-related entries rather in any general description, it would appear that it does not apply to Wild Shape by a strict reading of RAW. As such, what you describe should be possible.

Do note that an advanced animal will gain discretionary ability increases if its advanced Hit Dice take it past a number divisible by 4. You will need to discuss with your DM how that should be applied.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-28, 11:22 PM
Q 588

Can scrolls be scribed with the caster's proper ability modifier, instead of the minimum?

BRC
2007-11-28, 11:25 PM
Q I noticed that some creaturese like the blink dog have a Level Adjustment marked Cohort, I assume this means that you can take one as a cohort. If you do, how do you go about advancing it as you gain levels?

tyckspoon
2007-11-28, 11:53 PM
A. 588

No.

Magic items produce spells or spell-like effects. For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.

Staffs are an exception to the rule. Treat the saving throw as if the wielder cast the spell, including caster level and all modifiers to save DC.

There's likely a feat somewhere that either allows you to scribe with your own modifier or use your own modifier when casting from a scroll, but within the basic rules the only variable you can change when scribing is the caster level of the scroll.

A. 589
A monstrous cohort could be advanced either by HD, as per the 'Advancement' line in its MM listing, or by taking class levels if it has an Intelligence score of 3 or greater. Rogue would go well with the Blink Dog's blink ability.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-29, 01:30 AM
Q 590

What is the cost for researching a new spell?

re: answer

ouch, that's steep. Oh wellm, it's not like wizards need money.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-29, 02:43 AM
A. 590

The minimum cost is 1000 gp / level for the research. (DMG page 198)

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-29, 02:59 AM
Q 591

Can you scribe scrolls into a spellbook that you are too low level to cast?

No, being able to cast or prepare the spell is not a requirement as long as you met the other prerequisites for understanding and copying a spell.

So, is that a yes or a no?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-29, 03:03 AM
A. 591

Yes, being able to cast or prepare the spell is not a requirement as long as you met the other prerequisites for understanding and copying a spell.

Edit:

I apologize for the confusing "no". :smallredface:

I think it happened because I was trying to preface my statement by a straight one word answer before providing the concluding explanation. *rolleyes*

martyboy74
2007-11-29, 07:30 AM
A591 (cont.) That is a yes. The 'as you long as you met the other prerequisites for understanding and copying a spell' refers to these (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#arcaneMagicalWritings) rules.

Duke of URL
2007-11-29, 08:12 AM
Q 592A

Regarding the Hellfire Warlock (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061207a&page=3), the description for Hellfire Blast reads (in part):

Whenever you use your eldritch blast ability, you can change your eldritch blast into a hellfire blast. A hellfire blast deals your normal eldritch blast damage plus an extra 2d6 points of damage per class level.

Can the warlock still add an eldritch shape and an eldritch essence when using this ability?

Q 592B

If the answer to part A is "yes" for the eldritch essence, then can you still add an essence that changes the energy type of the blast (such as Vitriolic Blast)?

Q 592C

If the answer to part A is "yes" for the eldritch shape, when Hellfire Blast is paired with Eldritch Glaive, is it correct to assume that the additional damage from Hellfire Blast applies to all attacks made with the "glaive" (iterative attacks and any attacks of opportunity)?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-29, 08:41 AM
A. 592

A

Yes.

B

Yes.

C

Yes.

P.s. notice the lack of any confusing "no"s. :smallwink:

RelentlessImp
2007-11-29, 09:32 PM
Q. 593

If a Duskblade (PHB2) takes Battle Caster (CArcane) at level 1, I assume they will be able to cast wearing medium armor from the get-go; however, when they attain the ability to cast with medium armor from their class ability at (5th?) level, will Battle Caster then allow them to cast without spell failure while wearing Heavy Armor, or will they need to take it again/delay it until after they get that class ability to take it?

Q. 594

Does the ability to ignore arcane spell failure from armor stack with the ability to ignore percentages of arcane spell failure, or are they two completely, utterly seperate abilities? (For instance, could a Duskblade 10/Spellsword 10 ignore up to Medium Armor's worth of arcane spell failure, then don heavy armor and use the Spellsword ability to ignore 30% of armor-related spell failure?)

Q. 595

Are there any feats that grant bonuses to a character using a single, one-handed weapon in one hand without a shield, besides the Bladesinger's class abilities?

Reinboom
2007-11-29, 09:56 PM
A. 593
Based on how battle caster is worded, I believe battle caster is applied last. So it does scale.

A. 594
Separate.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-29, 09:56 PM
A 593

Yes. Battle Caster simply increases the category of armor you can wear while ignoring Arcane Spell Failure by one category up from your class-granted ability, whatever category that may be at the time.

A 594

I'm not sure I follow. There's no values that can stack in any way. The way you describe them working in the Spellsword description is just how they act as separate abilities anyway. That is, what you describe isn't stacking in any sense of the term to begin with. One ability being negated in a particular circumstance never interferes with other abilities that work in that circumstance.

A 595

Einhander from PH2. It's a tactical feat that grants several maneuvers while wielding a weapon in one hand and nothing in the other.

RelentlessImp
2007-11-29, 10:13 PM
Thanks, both of you.

Sucrose
2007-11-30, 12:36 AM
Q 596

If a dwarf is in heavy armor and is affected by the psionic power Skate, is his movement impeded by his armor?

Edit for below: Oh, excellent. I was very much hoping that was the case. Thank you for telling me that, Lord Silvanos!

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-30, 03:18 AM
A. 596

No, he gains an enhancement bonus to speed from Skate and this is unaffected by armor.

Emperor Demonking
2007-11-30, 12:42 PM
Q 597: Does a Loremaster need his int bonus + class level to be at least 7 to get dodge tricks?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-30, 12:45 PM
A. 597

Yes.

Edit for below: Oh, excellent. I was very much hoping that was the case. Thank you for telling me that, Lord Silvanos!

It is nice to sometimes be able to bring good news. :smallsmile:

playswithfire
2007-11-30, 04:39 PM
Q598. Probably a stupid question, but I don't do ranged combat that much; If I'm wearing a ring of blinking and making ranged attacks, specifically throwing daggers, do the daggers cease blinking once I release them and thus do not have the 20% miss chance or would they remain incorporeal if they left my hand incorporeal (i.e. I blinked at the point of release) and the miss chance still applies?

I guess I could just stop blinking long enough to attack and then start blinking again, but I'd still like to know the answer

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-30, 04:46 PM
A. 598

It applies to all attacks even ranged.

playswithfire
2007-11-30, 04:48 PM
Thanks; that's what I assumed would happen, but wanted to make sure

squishycube
2007-11-30, 05:18 PM
I guess I could just stop blinking long enough to attack and then start blinking again, but I'd still like to know the answer

A598 Addendum
The part I quoted is actually not possible, like most rings (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm) activating a ring of blinking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#blinking) is a standard action.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-30, 05:22 PM
A598 Addendum
The part I quoted is actually not possible, like most rings (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm) activating a ring of blinking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#blinking) is a standard action.

It is certainly possible, just not in the same round. :smallwink:

Chronos
2007-11-30, 05:25 PM
Q599:How do ranged magic weapons interact with antimagic fields? I know that a magic weapon in an AMF is just a masterwork weapon, but does it matter where it's launched, or where it hits?

Example 1: I'm in an antimagic field, and throw a +2 flaming dagger at a target outside of the field. Is my attack bonus +1 or +2, and does the dagger do 1d4 damage, 1d4+2, or 1d4+2 plus 1d6 fire?

Example 2: I'm outside of an antimagic field, and throw the same dagger at a target inside of the field. Same questions.

Example 3: I'm outside of an antimagic field and my target is inside, but this time instead of a dagger, I have a +2 flaming bow (with mundane arrows), so no magic item ever actually enters the AMF.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-30, 05:31 PM
A. 599

The point of impact is what matters, regardless of where the attacker is. If it is inside the AMF, no magical enhancement will work. If it is outside all enhancement will work.

Even when firing a bow that bestows the enhancements on the arrow, it is the arrow that becomes magical and therefore will not work inside the AMF.

I hope that was clear enough...

Winged One
2007-11-30, 05:52 PM
Q 600

Exactly what page of what book states that a generic NPC-classed character has the nonelite array(13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8) by default?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-30, 05:58 PM
A. 600

None, I hope.

The DMG's NPC all use the elite array as standard (pp. 110-111, 169)

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-30, 06:01 PM
A 600

On page 290 of Monster Manual Core Rulebook III v.3.5 it states, "The nonelite array is most appropriate for monsters who add class levels in a NPC class such as warrior or adept."

The DMG's NPC all use the elite array as standard (pp. 110-111, 169)
Those generic NPCs are NPCs with PC classes, though.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-30, 06:19 PM
Those generic NPCs are NPCs with PC classes, though.

*SIGH*

Sorry, I did not read the question properly. :smallredface:
I just read NPC. *Roll eyes*

Chronos
2007-11-30, 07:48 PM
*Roll eyes*Careful, are you trying to destroy the ceiling?

Enlong
2007-11-30, 11:50 PM
Q 601:

Can you perform a Jump Check during a charge? For example, can you Charge at someone across a stream by leaping the stream with a jump during the charge?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-01, 03:23 AM
A. 601

Yes, as long as you fulfill the other requirements for charging.

Careful, are you trying to destroy the ceiling?

:smalltongue:

Karma Guard
2007-12-01, 03:32 AM
Q: 602

What the heck is the Wild Talent feat actually for? All I can think of is using it to qualify for some PrCs, but they usually need you to be able to manifest powers anyway. (I think the Fist of Zuoken just needs you to be psionic?)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-01, 03:53 AM
A. 602

As the description say, it allows you to take psionic feats and it is a requirement for a prestige class.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-01, 08:59 AM
A 602 Cont.

It also grants the Psionic subtype, of course. This could be useful or detrimental with regards to spells or other effects that target creatures of the Psionic subtype.

Balkash
2007-12-01, 02:07 PM
Q 603

In the PHBII, there is a base case, the Beguiler. The Beguiler, at level 20, gets Cloaked Casting (Ignore SR). This does mean that the Beguiler ignores a target's SR when casting a spell, right? And does this ignore SR only apply to Beguiler spells, or if I have a couple levels in Wizard, can my wizard spells ignore SR too?

Wicked, thanks.:smallwink:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-01, 02:14 PM
A. 603

Yes, and it applies to all spells cast.

Dhavaer
2007-12-02, 12:17 AM
Q 604

Can a Binder with the Improved Binding feat use the Call Armour ability granted by Savnok?

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-02, 12:19 AM
A 604

Yes. He could without the feat too. Could you rephrase the question?

Armads
2007-12-02, 12:55 AM
Q 605

Do the dodge bonuses to AC from defending weapons stack? How about spellstrike weapons?

Dhavaer
2007-12-02, 01:04 AM
A 604

Yes. He could without the feat too. Could you rephrase the question?

Oh balls. I meant to specify a level 1 Binder.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-02, 01:15 AM
Q 604
Ah, I see the issue now. By RAW, no. You still have an effective binder level of 1 for purposes of vestige abilities, and you don't gain anything from Call Armor until you have a binder level of 2. My personal opinion would be that you could, but that would have to be a house ruling (as it is not RAW).

A 605

Yes, they stack, but they are not dodge bonuses. They are untyped bonuses.

Not familiar with spellstrike weapons.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-02, 01:56 AM
A. 605 Addendum

The same is true for Spellstrike weapons.

Threeshades
2007-12-02, 09:55 AM
Q. 606
Duskblades have level 0 Spells known but neither the PHB 2 nor any other books I know of have a Duskblade spell list that lists level 0 spells. Also I checked the class description if it gives any information on lvl 0 spells for duskblades, but I didnt find anything.
So my question is: What are thje lvl 0 spells available for Duskblades

Q.606 b
Also is there any other book than PHB2, that has Duskblade spells?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-02, 10:05 AM
A. 606

The spell list (including 0th level spells) can be found on page 24 of the PHB 2.

A. 606b

Not to my knowledge. (Apart from those on the spell list in PHB 2 that comes from other books of course.)

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-02, 10:09 AM
A 605 Contention

They should not stack because they are the same effect applied more than once (same-effect-more-than-once-in-different-strengths).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-02, 10:36 AM
A 605 Contention

They should not stack because they are the same effect applied more than once (same-effect-more-than-once-in-different-strengths).

The caveat with Defending (and Spellstrike) is the inclusion of a description of its stacking properties.

A defending weapon allows the wielder to transfer some or all of the sword’s enhancement bonus to his AC as a bonus that stacks with all others
(My emphasis)

This bonus stacks with all other bonuses that benefit the wielder's saving throws.

So it depends on your definition of "other".
It can be used in the sense of "different" or "any remaining bonuses".

I personally think that the RAI agrees with your interpretation, but a case can be made for the other interpretation.

It would have been nice if it had been clarified by the FAQ at some point.

squishycube
2007-12-02, 12:16 PM
Q 607
Does a Spiritual Weapon ignore miss chance from concealment?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-02, 12:52 PM
A. 607

Yes, it would even continue to attack the target if the target turns invisible after you have directed the weapon to attack said target.

The spell description does not go into detail, but it is important to remember that it is a spell and not a summoned creature / object.

It strikes as a spell...

Snadgeros
2007-12-02, 04:07 PM
Q 608 Are a monk's fists treated as unarmed or light weapons? I recall reading somewhere that they're light weapons, but I can't find it. Am I just imagining things?

Q 608a If they ARE light weapons, could you take the weapon finesse feat on your fists and use DEX instead of STR for all of your attacks? That would probably fix their MAD.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-02, 04:14 PM
A. 608

Monk's weapons are indeed light weapons and benefits from Weapon Finesse.

Unarmed Strike: At 1st level, a monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A monk’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply her full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes.

Usually a monk’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but she can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on her attack roll. She has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.

A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

I don't think it quite solves the MAD problems though...

Snadgeros
2007-12-02, 05:04 PM
I don't think it quite solves the MAD problems though...

Why not? Their most important stats are STR for attacking, DEX for skills and AC, and WIS for AC and stunning. By taking weapon finesse, you're replacing STR with DEX and therefore only have 2 key abilities, which seems to be the standard (INT and CON for wizards, CHA and DEX for bards, etc.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-02, 05:09 PM
Why not? Their most important stats are STR for attacking, DEX for skills and AC, and WIS for AC and stunning. By taking weapon finesse, you're replacing STR with DEX and therefore only have 2 key abilities, which seems to be the standard (INT and CON for wizards, CHA and DEX for bards, etc.)

This is not the place for such a debate.
If you wish to discuss it further I suggest you open a new thread for it.

However, strength is still needed for bonus to damage and for grapple checks etc.
Constitution also remains fairly important to the Monk.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-03, 01:08 AM
A 605 Contention

Also, it is not the same source, and not a typed bonus, so they stack. Aside from any RAW contention of this, it is also not a readily abusable level of stacking. You can (barring multi-armed creatures) at most wield 3 defending weapons at a time, one of which would have to be dancing, and that is not a cost effective means of increasing your AC.

Which means that
a) by RAW, they stack
and
b) it isn't a big deal that they stack

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-03, 07:35 AM
Also, it is not the same source...
What do you mean? Same source refers to the same effect from the same type of item or spell, not that it comes from exact same item.

Ryuuk
2007-12-03, 08:34 AM
Q 609

Can one make a full attack while using the Deep Impact feat?

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-03, 08:42 AM
A 609:

Yes, one can use Deep Impact as part of a full attack action. You simply need to declare which attack is getting the benefit of Depp Impact before rolling to hit.

Ryuuk
2007-12-03, 08:45 AM
Q 610

Thanks, another question:

How would your full attack look like if you have a tentacle (Voidmind, MM3), Bite of the Wolf (PsiWar power) and a +12 BAB?

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-03, 08:51 AM
A 610

I don't have Voidmind in front of me, but I seem to remember it giving a single attack at your highest base, yes? As it acts independant of you.

So, that being the case I think your attack routine would look like this:

+12/+7/+2 (Main Hand; Primary Weapon) AND +12 (tentacle) AND Bite +7 (Since it is a natural, secondary attack)

Snadgeros
2007-12-03, 12:45 PM
Q611 Elusive attack, counterattack, and overpowering attack are all bonus feats in the PhB2 for fighters that require a full-round attack at your highest AB. Since they all have the same requirement to activate, is there some possible way to use two or more of them at once? (I know this is cheesy and super-broken, but I doubt it works anyway, unless there's a feat that lets you combine feats.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-03, 01:35 PM
A. 611

They are not bonus feats, but alternative class features that replace bonus feats at certain levels.

They require a full-round action to activate, as opposed to something that can be done as part of a full attack.

These cannot be combined and requires separate actions, just like you cannot cast a fireball and lightning bolt using the same standard action.

Theli
2007-12-03, 04:58 PM
Q. 612

Is the Ki Focus special ability necessary in order for a Warforged (ECS) Monk's unarmed strikes with the Battle Fist (ECS) to count as Magic, Lawful, or Adamantine through the Ki Strike ability?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-03, 05:48 PM
A. 612

No, Ki Strike works it supernatural powers by itself. :smallwink:

Note that the Battlefist is a Magic Weapon by itself.

Theli
2007-12-03, 05:54 PM
Q. 612 Continued

Sorry, I wasn't clear and the mention of "Magic" didn't help matters. Ki Strike gains Lawful and Adamantine at higher levels for a monk. Will these transfer over alone even when striking with the Battle Fist?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-03, 06:01 PM
A. 612 Continued

No I was not clear enough.

Ki Focus is not necessary. The unarmed attacks will be treated as Lawful and adamantine at the appropriate levels when using the Battlefist even though it is a weapon, because you are still making unarmed strikes.

I mentioned the magic part, because if you get a Battlefist at 3rd level you would still overcome DR magic even though you do not get Ki Strike until 4th level.

Tortoise262
2007-12-04, 12:21 AM
Q. 613
Does the Mobility feat grant a dodge bonus for Move Actions other than actual movement, like standing up from prone?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-04, 03:17 AM
A. 613

Does the Mobility feat grant a dodge bonus for Move Actions other than actual movement, like standing up from prone?

No, Mobility requires that you actually move, not just take a move equivalent action.

Reinboom
2007-12-04, 04:53 AM
Q. 614
Does Jump, (long jump, to cross pits) cover distance moved or distance of the pit? IE: if the pit is 10 foot wide, would you need to make a jump of 10 or 15?

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-04, 04:57 AM
A 613 (addendum)

IIRC, there is a seperate feat that provides an identical benefit for AoO non-movement actions. I think it is called Distract, or something to that effect.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-04, 04:59 AM
A. 614

10 feet, even though you have to move 3 squares forward to get over the chasm/pit/abyss you are still only required to be jumping the 10 feet.

Note that if you fail the check by less than 5 you still have a chance to grab on to the ledge.

Kyace
2007-12-04, 06:13 AM
Q. 615

The SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/jump.htm) and PHB lists a 5 foot jump as a DC 5. Why is it even listed at all if the shortest you can jump in D&D movement is a 10 jump over a 5 foot hole?

((This is not a jab at Lord Silvanos, I'm just trying to clear up my understanding of D&D rules.))

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-04, 06:20 AM
A. 615

I edited my post to reflect this. You make the jump check based on the actual distance needed to clear the pit, so a 5 foot pit requires a jump check against a DC 5 only (assuming a running start etc.).

I apologize for my earlier confusion.

((This is not a jab at Lord Silvanos, I'm just trying to clear up my understanding of D&D rules.))

Jabs are always welcome as they often serve to clear a misunderstanding on either the receiver or the Jabber's part.

Sometimes it can even be fun to watch. :smallamused:

Tortoise262
2007-12-04, 05:30 PM
Q. 616

From the SRD's Wolf entry:
Trip (Ex): A wolf that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+1 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the wolf.

I think I know the answer to this, but I want to be sure. Can a wolf use this ability during an AoO? (My guess is no, because most free actions must be taken on one's turn)

MartinHarper
2007-12-04, 05:43 PM
Q. 617. If the caster of Mirror Image Aids Another in combat (eg by distracting a bad guy), do her mirror images also distract bad guys near them? If so, do they provide real Aid Another bonuses to AC/Atk?

Q. 618. If the caster of Mirror Image performs in some way (or uses tumble as a performance), do his Mirror Images perform similarly? If so, do they provide Aid Another bonuses to his performance?

Q. 619. If the caster of Mirror Image intimidates a foe in combat, do her mirror images also intimidate nearby foes? If so, do they make those foes shaken?

Q. 620. Can Mirror Images provide flanking bonuses?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-04, 05:45 PM
A. 616

By a strict reading of the RAW you are correct. You can perform free actions when taking other actions or when it is explicitly mentioned that it can be performed when it is not your turn.
An AoO is not an action and no exception to the general rule is mentioned.

However, I think RAI is that the trip attempt happens every time the bite attack hits, even on AoOs.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-04, 05:48 PM
A. 617-620

No.

A DM can of course always provide circumstance bonuses to skill hecks if he/she finds it appropriate, such as it might be in the Perform example.

Trouvere
2007-12-04, 06:13 PM
Q. 621. Could I get a clear explanation of the functioning of a Hand of the Mage, including what actions are required to activate one, whether activating one counts as casting the spell and is subject to ASF, whether use provokes AoO, and so forth?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-04, 06:21 PM
A. 621

Activating is a standard action that does not provoke an AoO and does not incur ASF.
You are not casting the spell, but activating a magic item.

I hope that answers your questions. I have provided the relevant parts of the SRD.

Hand of the Mage: This mummified elf hand hangs by a golden chain around a character’s neck (taking up space as a magic necklace would). It allows the wearer to utilize the spell mage hand at will.

Faint transmutation; CL 2nd; Craft Wondrous Item, mage hand; Price 900 gp;Weight 2 lb.

Command Word: If no activation method is suggested either in the magic item description or by the nature of the item, assume that a command word is needed to activate it. Command word activation means that a character speaks the word and the item activates. No other special knowledge is needed.

A command word can be a real word, but when this is the case, the holder of the item runs the risk of activating the item accidentally by speaking the word in normal conversation. More often, the command word is some seemingly nonsensical word, or a word or phrase from an ancient language no longer in common use. Activating a command word magic item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Winged One
2007-12-04, 06:26 PM
Q 622

Isn't it time for a new thread?:smallwink:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-04, 06:31 PM
A. 622 Partial

I don't know, but I do know that it is time for POPCORN!!

ocato
2007-12-04, 08:10 PM
Q623

There is a feat in the draconomicon (and elsewhere, I'm told) that grants the frightful presence ability of dragons. It states:

Whenever you attack or charge, all opponents within a 30’ radius, who have fewer levels/HD than you do
become Shaken for (1d6 + Charisma modifier) rounds (WillNeg, DC = 10 + ½ character level + Charisma
modifier). On a successful save, the opponent is immune to your Frightful Presence for 24 hours.
This ability cannot affect creatures with Intelligence 3 or lower, nor does it work on Dragons

Emphasis mine. The SRD states, concerning fear, that:

Fear effects are cumulative. A shaken character who is made shaken again becomes frightened, and a shaken character who is made frightened becomes panicked instead. A frightened character who is made shaken or frightened becomes panicked instead.

Now, does the frightful presence ability allow a character to blast surrounding enemies withh cumulative fear effectives with each attack or does it shake them and thats it? If so, does a later successful save remove current levels of fear or does it simply grant immunity to future fear step-ups? IE: Will Johnny the rogue lose his shaken state and become immune when he finally makes the save, or will he just not upgrade to frightened and be immune to future saves?

Also, I'm assuming that each attack means that a full attack will conceivably grant multiple fear checks for each extra attack as well as the 'main' attack.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-04, 08:17 PM
A 623

The same effect never stacks with itself. (http://same-effect-more-than-once-in-different-strengths/) Multiple applications of frightful presence will not stack with each other. However, one could use frightful presence in conjunction with other fear effects to create a greater sense of fright.

turkishproverb
2007-12-05, 01:44 AM
Q Does anyone remember the name of the Planescape +0 ECL race that was used for monks and not allowed to speak?

Lemur
2007-12-05, 01:48 AM
A 624

Buomman. You can find them in the Planar Handbook.

Threeshades
2007-12-05, 11:35 AM
Q 625
Does a character with TWF wielding two weapons, both enchanted with speed, get an extra attack with both weapons or just one of them?

I know Speed doesnt stack with other haste-like effects. But does it even count as stacking when its applied separately to two separate weapons that act more or less independent of each other?

bird1111
2007-12-05, 12:12 PM
Q# 626

Draw or Sheathe a Weapon
Drawing a weapon so that you can use it in combat, or putting it away so that you have a free hand, requires a move action. This action also applies to weapon-like objects carried in easy reach, such as wands. If your weapon or weapon-like object is stored in a pack or otherwise out of easy reach, treat this action as retrieving a stored item.

If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move. If you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you can draw two light or one-handed weapons in the time it would normally take you to draw one.

Drawing ammunition for use with a ranged weapon (such as arrows, bolts, sling bullets, or shuriken) is a free action.

Ready or Loose a Shield
Strapping a shield to your arm to gain its shield bonus to your AC, or unstrapping and dropping a shield so you can use your shield hand for another purpose, requires a move action. If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you can ready or loose a shield as a free action combined with a regular move.

Dropping a carried (but not worn) shield is a free action.

What exactly does the bolded portion of what I quoted mean?

Reinboom
2007-12-05, 12:33 PM
A. 626
If you have a Base Attack Bonus of +1, then, while you take your normal movement, you can draw a weapon, loose a shield, or ready a shield for free.
Normally, these actions require a move action themselves.

So, you could draw a sword while moving 30 ft, then attack instead of draw a sword, then move 30 ft for your standard action, and wait to attack.

Chronos
2007-12-05, 12:36 PM
A626: Suppose at the start of combat, you're 30 feet away from your enemy, your sword is still in its sheath, and you want to attack the enemy with your sword. If you have a base attack bonus of +1 (which could mean that you're a fighter, barbarian, paladin, or ranger, or that you're at least second level in some other class), you can move next to the enemy, draw your sword while you're moving, and then attack. If your base attack bonus is 0, however (for instance, if you're a first-level monk, cleric, druid, rogue, bard, wizard, or sorcerer), then you first have to take one full move action to draw your sword, then another move action to move next to the enemy, and you've used up your actions for the round and can't attack until next round.

Eerie
2007-12-05, 01:25 PM
Q. 627

Are there any classes that combine stealth and skill-monkeying with healing?

Reinboom
2007-12-05, 01:31 PM
A. 627
Bard, though almost any skill monkey can cover this role by use of UMD.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-05, 01:36 PM
A. 625

Q 625
Does a character with TWF wielding two weapons, both enchanted with speed, get an extra attack with both weapons or just one of them?

I know Speed doesnt stack with other haste-like effects. But does it even count as stacking when its applied separately to two separate weapons that act more or less independent of each other?

Copied from an earlier post (with minor edits):

This has been debated, twice in the SQ&A series I think, and on various threads here and elsewhere.

Important references (apart from the description of Haste and Speed) include the 3.0 FAQ, the changed Speed description between 3.0 and 3.5 and a specific quarterstaff from the Epic Level Handbook that has Speed on both ends.

Also note that you are the one benefiting from Haste and Speed, not the weapon.

Q. 103 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2196707&postcount=289)

Q. 238 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1813921&postcount=981)

Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19529)
[/URL]
[URL="http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40732"]Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19529)

Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43324)

Greyen
2007-12-05, 01:51 PM
Q. 628
This may have been asked before but I cannot find it.
The basic question is this - Can Enervation (the Spell) be used as sneak attack and gain more negative levels as damage?

Ok this is super cheesy but I want to know how it works before I try it in game. As a friend pointed out how it might work, and while cool becomes extremely cheesey.

First -Spells used as Sneak attacks per http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040309a also from a book (I cannot remeber which ATM) states that weaponlike spells deal the same type of damage as the original spell. So a Melf's would deal +Xd6 acid damage used within 30 feet etc.
This include Energy drain effects.

Next - Does the spell "Enervation" count as Energy drain?

If yes does that mean on a successful Enervation by a creatue, like Sri, with Sneak attack that it would be 1d4+Xd6 negative levels?

This sounds absurd to me but it all hinges on whether enervation is "Energy Drain" damage.

The SRD states

ENERGY DRAIN AND NEGATIVE LEVELS
Some horrible creatures, especially undead monsters, possess a fearsome supernatural ability to drain levels from those they strike in combat. The creature making an energy drain attack draws a portion of its victim’s life force from her. Most energy drain attacks require a successful melee attack roll — mere physical contact is not enough. Each successful energy drain attack bestows one or more negative levels on the opponent. A creature takes the following penalties for each negative level it has gained.

–1 on all skill checks and ability checks.

–1 on attack rolls and saving throws.

–5 hit points.

–1 effective level (whenever the creatureÂ’s level is used in a die roll or calculation, reduce it by one for each negative level).

If the victim casts spells, she loses access to one spell as if she had cast her highest-level, currently available spell. (If she has more than one spell at her highest level, she chooses which she loses.) In addition, when she next prepares spells or regains spell slots, she gets one less spell slot at her highest spell level.

Negative levels remain for 24 hours or until removed with a spell, such as restoration. After 24 hours, the afflicted creature must attempt a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 attacker’s HD + attacker’s Cha modifier). (The DC is provided in the attacker’s description.) If the saving throw succeeds, the negative level goes away with no harm to the creature. The afflicted creature makes a separate saving throw for each negative level it has gained. If the save fails, the negative level goes away, but the creature’s level is also reduced by one.

A character with negative levels at least equal to her current level, or drained below 1st level, is instantly slain. Depending on the creature that killed her, she may rise the next night as a monster of that kind. If not, she rises as a wight. A creature gains 5 temporary hit points for each negative level it bestows (though not if the negative level is caused by a spell or similar effect).

I don't think it works out that Enervation counts as Energy Drain as it is not permanent, I think it just applies negative levels.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-05, 02:02 PM
A. 628

This was clarified by Complete Arcane page 85-86.

Spells that bestows negative levels through energy drain, such as Enervation, deal the sneak attack damage as negative energy.

Greyen
2007-12-05, 02:10 PM
Thank you Lord Silvanos.

I knew it was way too cheesy to deal +Xd6 negative levels.