PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By RAW) IV

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

cupkeyk
2007-12-05, 02:13 PM
Q 629

A Cloaked dancer cannot effect the same opponent twice within the same 24 hour period with the same dance. Can two cloaked dancers use the same effect against the same opponent within the same day? Render the same person exhausted instead of fatigued?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-05, 02:20 PM
A. 629

No, two applications of the same effect does not stack.
You would need some other source of fatigue to worsen the condition.

See Q&A 623 above for a link. :smallwink:

cupkeyk
2007-12-05, 02:38 PM
That link is broken...
Q 629b
other than cloaked dancer, does anyone else have a mundane way of rendering a person fatigued. I am building a rogue10/monk1/shadow dancer3/cloaked dancer3/ with crippling strike and weakening touch who combines fatigued with the summoned shadow's strength drain ability?

Eerie
2007-12-06, 09:06 AM
Q. 630

How LA buyoff works? And where (in what book) can I read more about it?

Reinboom
2007-12-06, 09:19 AM
A. 630
Reducing Level Adjustment was a variant introduced in Unearthed Arcana.
Most of the book was released as OGL'd material, however.
The specific variant you are looking for is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm).

*edit*
Ninja'd!

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-06, 09:19 AM
A. 630

The rules for LA buyoff can be found in Unearthed Arcana.
Those particular rules can be found in some of the online hyperlinked SRDs.
http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedRaces.html

loopy
2007-12-06, 09:55 AM
Q. 631

How do those Manuals that increase stats (Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha) work exactly? Anything special I should know about them? How desirable are they? Do they stack?

Eg: If I got a Clear Thought +2 early in the campaign then a Clear Thought + 5 later on, would I get +7 total? Or would the +5 override the +2 completely?

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-06, 10:19 AM
A. 631

The tomes in question provide an Inherant bonus to a stat. This is the same bonus that one acquires from a Wish. How they work exactly is you must spend 48 hours over a minimum of 6 days reading the tome.

Desirable? Highly.

They do not stack (on the same stat).

Per your example, the +5 overrides the previous +2.

Alba
2007-12-06, 10:29 AM
Q. 632. I suspect this is a very stupid question. When a spell does a random amount of damage to multiple creatures in its area, does every creature take the same amount of damage (or half if they save, when appropriate), or is the damage rolled separately for each affected creature?

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-06, 10:40 AM
A. 632

I do not believe this answer is actually covered by the RAW. I think for the sake of ease of play and keeping the pace going, people generally roll all the dice once and apply the results to all affected targets.

A sample wording form the staple Area of Effet damage spell Fireball tells us:

A fireball spell is an explosion of flame that detonates with a low roar and deals 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 10d6) to every creature within the area. Unattended objects also take this damage. The explosion creates almost no pressure.

I think a case could be made to say that it deals 1d6/LVL to all targets indicates a single roll and that had the intent been to roll for each target, it would say "Each target in the area takes 1d6/LV.." That is all subjective though.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-12-06, 01:58 PM
Q 633

If I start out as a sorcerer or wizard, is there a feat that will allow me to use a shield without arcane spell failure chance? If not, is there a PrC that allows it? (I checked core, and the Eldritch Knight doesn't have any ASF reduction abilities, and mithril equipment's out of the question. I searched the thread, but couldn't find any previous versions of the question).

Q 633.5

If I use a light shield, is that enough of a 'free hand' to be able to use a sword, shield and gesture/use material components?

The J Pizzel
2007-12-06, 02:13 PM
Would someone wearing Mithral Full Plate still have to have Heavy Armor Prof. to wear it even though it's considered Medium for movement etc.

JP

Asmodeus
2007-12-06, 02:17 PM
Q 633

If I start out as a sorcerer or wizard, is there a feat that will allow me to use a shield without arcane spell failure chance? If not, is there a PrC that allows it? (I checked core, and the Eldritch Knight doesn't have any ASF reduction abilities, and mithril equipment's out of the question. I searched the thread, but couldn't find any previous versions of the question).

Q 633.5

If I use a light shield, is that enough of a 'free hand' to be able to use a sword, shield and gesture/use material components?

A 633

Not According to the SRD. There may be something in a supplement that I'm not aware of. I believe there is an Armored Mage feat in Complete Arcane, but I don't have the book in front of me. I think it only applies to armor anyways. Not shields.

A 633.5

The RAW never says that you hand is free when using a light shield; only that you can carry an item with the same hand, because the shield is so light. So while it never prohibits this explicitely, its unlikely you can use your shield-hand for somatic components.

What you can do, if you are holding a sword, and a light shield, is hold your sword in your off-hand/shield arm, and then use your primary hand for somatic gestures. You will not be able to use your weapon during that round though.

However, I would suggest you look at the Shield spell, as it will probably achieve your desired effect.

Asmodeus
2007-12-06, 02:32 PM
Would someone wearing Mithral Full Plate still have to have Heavy Armor Prof. to wear it even though it's considered Medium for movement etc.

JP

A 634

According to the FAQ, you need Medium Armor Proficiency for Mithral Full Plate.

Is a character proficient with light armor, such as a
rogue, considered to be proficient with mithral breastplate?
What about a character proficient with medium armor,
such as a barbarian—is he considered proficient with
mithral full plate armor?
The description of mithral on page 284 of the Dungeon
Master’s Guide is less precise than it could be in defining how
it interacts with armor proficiency rules. The simplest answer—
and the one that the Sage expects most players and DMs use—
is that mithral armor is treated as one category lighter for all
purposes, including proficiency. This isn’t exactly what the
Dungeon Master’s Guide says, but it’s a reasonable
interpretation of the intent of the rule (and it’s supported by a
number of precedents, including the descriptions of various
specific mithral armors described on page 220 of the Dungeon
Master’s Guide and a variety of NPC stat blocks).
Thus, a ranger or rogue could wear a mithral breastplate
without suffering a nonproficiency penalty (since it’s treated as
light armor), and each could use any ability dependent on
wearing light or no armor (such as evasion or the ranger’s
combat style). A barbarian could wear mithral full plate armor
without suffering a nonproficiency penalty (since it’s treated as
medium armor), and he could use any ability dependent on
wearing medium or lighter armor (such as fast movement).
The same would be true of any other special material that
uses the same or similar language as mithral (such as darkleaf,
on page 120 of the EBERRON Campaign Setting).

Thomix
2007-12-06, 08:04 PM
Q 635

In a creature profile, when its said " spell-like ability : 1/day:..." and there are more than one spell-like ability she can use, does that mean that she can use each spell-like ability 1/day or that she can cast a total of 1 spell-like ability per day?

martyboy74
2007-12-06, 09:41 PM
A 635

Once (or twice, or three times, etc.) each.

cupkeyk
2007-12-07, 11:11 AM
A. 631

The tomes in question provide an Inherant bonus to a stat. This is the same bonus that one acquires from a Wish. How they work exactly is you must spend 48 hours over a minimum of 6 days reading the tome.

Desirable? Highly.

They do not stack (on the same stat).

Per your example, the +5 overrides the previous +2.

Huh? where does that say that? inherent bonuses function exactly the same as the bonus you get every four levels. Those stack. Inherent bonuses are added to the base ability score. Can anyone site literature supporting either argument?

Ogh_the_Second
2007-12-07, 11:29 AM
631 - reaction to reaction on answer

Huh? where does that say that? inherent bonuses function exactly the same as the bonus you get every four levels. Those stack. Inherent bonuses are added to the base ability score. Can anyone site literature supporting either argument?

From the SRD description of Wish (my emphasis):

Grant a creature a +1 inherent bonus to an ability score. Two to five wish spells cast in immediate succession can grant a creature a +2 to +5 inherent bonus to an ability score (two wishes for a +2 inherent bonus, three for a +3 inherent bonus, and so on). Inherent bonuses are instantaneous, so they cannot be dispelled. Note: An inherent bonus may not exceed +5 for a single ability score, and inherent bonuses to a particular ability score do not stack, so only the best one applies.

cupkeyk
2007-12-07, 12:19 PM
631 - reaction to reaction on answer

From the SRD description of Wish (my emphasis):

Oh the horrible phrasing!!!

This statement (two wishes for a +2 inherent bonus, three for a +3 inherent bonus, and so on). conradicts this statement Note: An inherent bonus may not exceed +5 for a single ability score, and inherent bonuses to a particular ability score do not stack, so only the best one applies. because it would mean five wishes would still be a +1. This would also imply that Tomes and Manuals do not stack with wishes. Sad.

Douglas
2007-12-07, 12:22 PM
Also, from page 21 of the DMG:

Different named bonus types all stack, but usually a named bonus does not stack with another bonus of the same name, except for dodge bonuses and some circumstance bonuses
and

Inherent: An inherent bonus is a bonus to an ability score that results from powerful magic, such as a wish spell. A character is limited to a total inherent bonus of +5 to any ability score

The second of those quotes was omitted from the SRD for some reason. Inherent bonuses are not included in the list of exceptions to the same-type non-stacking rule, and the fact that these two quotes are from the same section of the same page makes it unlikely that the omission is a mistake. This is also primary source for the hard limit of +5 maximum to any one ability score.

Oh the horrible phrasing!!!

This statement (two wishes for a +2 inherent bonus, three for a +3 inherent bonus, and so on). conradicts this statement Note: An inherent bonus may not exceed +5 for a single ability score, and inherent bonuses to a particular ability score do not stack, so only the best one applies. because it would mean five wishes would still be a +1. This would also imply that Tomes and Manuals do not stack with wishes. Sad.
No, the multiple wishes for higher bonus clause is an explicit special case and, by the wording, doesn't even violate the stacking rule. Multiple wishes in immediate succession grant a higher bonus, not a stacking bonus.

You are correct that Tomes/Manuals do not stack with wishes by RAW, though.

weenie
2007-12-07, 12:22 PM
Q. 636

If a wizard uses the Extra spell feat to aquire a divine spell, does he use wis or int to cast it?

Fax Celestis
2007-12-07, 12:29 PM
Q637a If I am fighting with only a bashing shield and no weapon, can I benefit from the Einhander feat?

Q637b If I am fighting with a light or one-handed weapon and have nothing in my other hand but possess Improved Unarmed Strike and Two-Weapon Fighting, can I still benefit from the Einhander feat?

Reinboom
2007-12-07, 12:34 PM
A. 636
If it is being cast from the wizard's spell slots, it uses Int. The class defines the stat used - not the spell.

Douglas
2007-12-07, 12:42 PM
A636 additional
It is of rather questionable RAW validity to take a spell that is not on your class list in the first place with this feat. It is definitely not RAI (no, I don't have a source ready for this statement, but I remember seeing at least one quote from a WotC designer about this before).

Reinboom
2007-12-07, 12:45 PM
A. 637a

You can bash an opponent with a heavy shield, using it as an off-hand weapon. See Table: Weapons for the damage dealt by a shield bash. Used this way, a heavy shield is a martial bludgeoning weapon. For the purpose of penalties on attack rolls, treat a heavy shield as a one-handed weapon.
Underlined most important part.
Yes, a shield used this way would qualify for Einhander.

A. 637b
Depends on how literal the fluff and mechanics together are taken.

Since you are carrying nothing in your off hand, technically, yes.

However, "You can tuck your arm behind your back...", "You use your off hand to balance...". I would personally rule, based on these two quotes from Einhander alone, you would only be able to perform the third special tactical maneuver while trying to actively use your off hand as a weapon, since for the other two, your off hand would be combined doing other things.
There is nothing stating your off hand can't be doing both, however... technically.

-edit-

A636 additional
It is of rather questionable RAW validity to take a spell that is not on your class list in the first place with this feat. It is definitely not RAI (no, I don't have a source ready for this statement, but I remember seeing at least one quote from a WotC designer about this before).

The Sage (of WotC) ruled that Extra Spell can not be used to gain off-class spells.
However, the sage isn't RAW.
Houserule, for me, however is to agree with The Sage on this one as well.

Theli
2007-12-07, 02:48 PM
Q638

Is "dire" a template?

Reinboom
2007-12-07, 03:01 PM
A638
No, there was a discussion about it before though, here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24754

Tortoise262
2007-12-07, 05:43 PM
Q. 639
Can stunned creatures make reflex saves?

(I also want to add to A. 629 that Fear effects are an explicit exception to the rule that same effects do not stack)

Curmudgeon
2007-12-07, 08:06 PM
A 639 Yes.

The only condition that prevents making Reflex saves is death.

MeklorIlavator
2007-12-07, 08:24 PM
Q640

The Intuitive Attack feat, from Book of Exalted Deeds, states that you can use your Wis modifier instead of your Str modifier for any simple or natural weapon (you are guided by your faith). In the Complete Arcane, it says that a caster can make an unarmed strike instead of a touch attack, which would allow one to deal the unarmed strikes damage, though the attack would be off their regular armor class. Could a caster use intuitive attack with this unarmed strike?

Fax Celestis
2007-12-07, 08:27 PM
A641 Since you are performing an actual attack action, the Intuitive Attack feat is applicable.

Asmodeus
2007-12-07, 11:14 PM
A 639 Yes.

The only condition that prevents making Reflex saves is death.

It might be interesting to note that STRICTLY by RAW, death does not prevent this either.

There is nothing in the RAW that prevents a dead character from getting up and taking actions as normal.

Of course, thats clearly not the intention.

Just to back up what Curmudgeon said in the first place though, here is a Rules of the Game Article which mentiones that you can take a reflex save, even when helpless. http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050621a

BardicDuelist
2007-12-07, 11:21 PM
Q641
If you are riding a mount, can you TWF lances?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-08, 12:10 AM
A 641

If you make the check to guide with knees and are using lances that can be used in one hand, there is nothing that prevents you from doing so.

Eerie
2007-12-08, 09:43 AM
Q 642

Maybe not so simple...

As characters in D&D evolve... must they reach "godlike" forms at level 20? No way to avoid excess epicness?

EDIT: Since it is not a simple question, I opened (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65937)a thread about it.

squishycube
2007-12-08, 10:22 AM
Not A642
I feel this is not a RAW question at all. It is probably best to start a thread about this. (Whatever it is, because I don't really understand.)

Tortoise262
2007-12-08, 11:41 AM
Q. 643
You need one free hand to perform somatic components, so can I have a shield in my off hand and perform the components with my other hand without incurring spell failure? (I'll save 1000 GP of mithralness in my buckler if I can.)

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-08, 12:02 PM
A. 643

By the RAW, as long as you are using the shield, you incur the Arcane Spell Failure for it. Which hand you are using for the components and gestures is irrelevant. As long as the spell has a somatic component, you are subject to ASF. (barring special cases, such as Bards in light armor, etc.)

Arcane Spell Failure: Armor interferes with the gestures that a spellcaster must make to cast an arcane spell that has a somatic component. Arcane spellcasters face the possibility of arcane spell failure if they’re wearing armor. Bards can wear light armor without incurring any arcane spell failure chance for their bard spells.

Tortoise262
2007-12-08, 12:04 PM
Oh well, the 1000 gp is worth it anyway. (and THANKS ^_^)

Ryuuk
2007-12-08, 06:09 PM
Q 644

Would a Monk's Belt let a character use unarmed strikes without provoking attacks of opportunity?

tyckspoon
2007-12-08, 07:08 PM
A 644

Strictly by the text, the answer appears to be no. The Monk's Belt grants 'the unarmed damage of a monk', but lacks the further text it gives for the AC bonus that says 'this feature operates like the Monk class feature of the same name.' The character wearing the Monk's Belt would get the larger damage die, the ability to inflict lethal damage, and arguably have his unarmed strikes count as one-handed weapons instead of light for Strength bonus damage, but would still have to take Improved Unarmed Strike in order to count as armed. If you're inclined toward house-ruling, it would be a simple change to say the Belt gives the Unarmed Strike class feature of a 5th-level monk instead.

Gralamin
2007-12-08, 07:58 PM
Q 645

When using a maneuver such as Crusader's Strike, can you strike to deal nonlethal damage?

Q 646
Can you convert bonus damage from maneuvers or damage such as from Insightful strike to deal non-lethal damage?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-08, 09:45 PM
A. 645

Yes, there no restrictions on the attack that would prevent you from declaring that you want to deal non-lethal damage.

A. 646

The answer appears to be no. The damage from the maneuver replaces your normal damage, so the weapon used and the way it is used does not seem to make a difference for the damage outcome.
However, an interpretation that transfers the non-lethal properties of an attack is not really directly contradicted by the maneuver description.

Gralamin
2007-12-08, 09:54 PM
Q 646 continuation
And what about maneuvers that give extra damage dice, such as Finishing Move (Iron Heart)?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-08, 09:58 PM
A. 646 Continuation

The extra damage is of the same type as the normal damage, so if the normal damage is non-lethal so is the extra damage dice.

Drammel
2007-12-09, 10:38 PM
Q 647

A Monk goes into hybrid werewolf form. He now gains two claw attacks. My question is this: Is his unarmed strike now based off the claw weapons, his original non-werewolf punches, or does the damage now stack as the claws are inseparble from his fists? While I'm at it...

Q 648

A Druid takes some manner of unarmed feat. If he polymorphs to something with a claw attack does the feat apply to the claw attacks?

tyckspoon
2007-12-09, 10:55 PM
A 647, 648

Unarmed strikes are unarmed strikes and claws are claws. Ne'er shall the twain meet. Less cryptically, unarmed strikes do not have to be with the fists; according to the Monk listing, they can also be with feet, knees, headbutts, or any other part of the body. A were-Monk could choose to use his unarmed strikes instead of or in addition to the natural attacks he gains from transforming, and his unarmed strikes continue to do damage based on the Unarmed Strike damage progression of the Monk.

The Druid does not get to apply his feats to his claw because a claw is not an unarmed strike; it's a claw. If he is going to spend a lot of time fighting with claws, he would be well-advised to have his feats focused on the claw instead.

Chronos
2007-12-09, 10:58 PM
A 647 (and probably 648): Unarmed Strike and Claw are two different weapons. A monk who somehow gets claws can choose to fight with either his claws (which do damage according to the lycanthrope description or whatever gave him the claws) or with his unarmed strike (which does damage as a monk's unarmed strike ability, for the appropriately-sized creature). The same would be true of the druid, except that his unarmed strike damage is likely to be too low to bother with.

UserClone
2007-12-09, 11:00 PM
Q649:
Does the feat Ability Enhancer (Dragon Comp.) affect enlarge person?

tyckspoon
2007-12-09, 11:10 PM
A 649

To the best of my understanding, yes. The relevant text of the feat does not specify a bonus type; Ability Enhancer will increase the effect of any Transmutation spell that increases an ability score. The extra +2 is presumably of the same type as whatever spell it is boosting.

Dode
2007-12-09, 11:17 PM
A649
No, because Ability Enhancer only works on Enhancement bonuses, while Enlarge Person grants a size bonus to Strength.

Any Transmutation spell you cast that enhances an ability score increases by ability score by an additional
+2 (i.e., Bull’s Strength will grant a +6 Enhancement bonus to Strength).
Although the description isn't entirely clear I'll grant you ('enhance' could be interpreted as a game mechanic term strictly defining 'enhancement' or a simple verb), the fact that it specified in the example that a enhancement bonus was being targeted shows the designer's intent.

That being said, it's still an awesome feat.

Tortoise262
2007-12-10, 06:26 PM
Q. 650

Scribing a level-0 scroll:
spell level x caster level x 25 = base gp cost
spell level is .5, as per the "creating magic item" overview
so base cost is 12.5 gp

Scribe Scroll feat says to pay 1/25th of the base gp cost in XP. Does that mean 0 XP? 1 XP? .5 XP?

Dode
2007-12-10, 06:43 PM
A.650 - 1 XP, apparently there's no such thing as XP-free scribing. Also, scribing a scroll is (Spell Level x Caster Level x 12.5 gp). The formula you're using is for buying, not scribing scrolls, so it would only cost 6gp, 2sp and 5cp to scribe, and presumably 0.25 XP, if the rules worked that way.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingScrolls

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-11, 11:30 AM
Q. 651

If I as a 20th level Wizard were to Shapechange into a Rust Monster, what DC would the Rust special ability be? Would it be the book listed DC (17), or would it be recalculated, based upon my HD total? (So in this example, since the Rust ability is 10+ 1/2HD +4 racial +1 Con, the recalculated would be DC 25)

This is kind of general question as related to all HD based saving throw special abilities of monsters that you might Shapechange or Polymorph into.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-11, 11:39 AM
A. 651

Yes, it would be recalculated, but no Rust Monster with more than 15 racial HD exists, so the DC would arguably cap at DC 24 for 15 HD and 16 Con.

If you house rule that advanced versions are not allowed the book entry of DC 17 could be used as is.

weenie
2007-12-12, 03:36 AM
Q. 652

Is a Cleave attempt made after dropping an opponent in a full attack action still part of the full attack?

Q. 653

When a Duskblade hits an opponent with a channeled weaponlike spell, and scores a critical hit wit his weapon, does the weaponlike spell do double damage as well? Does extra damage from Arcane strike get multiplied?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-12, 03:49 AM
A. 652

Yes, but restrictions and conditions might apply depending on what you want to accomplish.

A. 653

No, the weapon strikes as normal and then the spell is resolved, so only the weapon attack will be multiplied on a successful critical hit.

Extra damage from Arcane Strike is not multiplied, because extra damage dice (Sneak Attack, Flaming property etc.) is never multiplied, only static bonuses (STR modifier, enhancement bonus etc.).

Multiplying Damage: Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results. Note: When you multiply damage more than once, each multiplier works off the original, unmultiplied damage.

Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage are never multiplied.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-12, 04:48 AM
Q 654

Can an Elf Paragon/Warblade use Weapon Aptitude to switch the Weapon Focus bonus feat from Elf Paragon to a weapon other than the ones specified by Elf Paragon?

Rad
2007-12-12, 05:00 AM
Q 654

Can an Elf Paragon/Warblade use Weapon Aptitude to switch the Weapon Focus bonus feat from Elf Paragon to a weapon other than the ones specified by Elf Paragon?

A 654

Yes.
The Warblade Weapon Aptitude ability doesn't make difference between ordinary feats and bonus feats.

Sigma_Omega
2007-12-12, 06:14 AM
Q655 Where can I find stats of diminutive (real-size) vermin, like real ants, flies, spiders etc.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-12, 06:20 AM
A. 655

There has not been published any official stats for any of those.
Rats can be found in the MM though.

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-12, 07:18 AM
Q. 656

In the case of a Lich or Vampire's special touch attacks (Paralysis and Energy Drain, respectively) does this effect "stack" with a touch spell that either would cast, for example if either one cast an Inflict Wounds spell, would the target also suffer the effects of their special abilities?

Regardless of answer, could you cite the reference point plese?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-12, 07:40 AM
A. 656

Only if they held the charge on the spell. (Note that the spell in that case can no longer score a critical hit, but the regular attack can of course.)

Holding the Charge: If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.

Morbius
2007-12-12, 02:22 PM
Q. 657

Is there any cheap bolt that deals fire or acid damage like the dragonsbreath arrow on Races of the Wild?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-12, 02:41 PM
A. 657 Partial

A cheap way is to get a scroll of Flame Arrow for 375 gp. That will grant you 50 bolt that deal an additional 1d6 of fire damage, but it only lasts 50 minutes of course.

It is only 8000 gp to enchant your MW crossbow with flaming, which will work on every single bolt fired and you get a + 1 to hit and damage on top of that.

Morbius
2007-12-12, 02:48 PM
Oh well, that is still too expensive for now, the dragonsbreath arrows cost way less than 375

Adumbration
2007-12-12, 02:50 PM
Q. 658

How do enchantments stack when determining the cost of a magical weapon? For an example, if you get a Ghost Touch Keen Scythe, does it cost 2x2000 = 4000 (without weapon cost) or 8000 gp, as if it was a +2 weapon?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-12, 02:53 PM
A. 658

You price it according to the total modifier the weapon has, not per individual enhancement.

A Keen Ghost Touch weapon will be priced as a +3 weapon (18000 gp) at least, since you need +1 enhancement before you can add any of the special properties.

A weapon with a special ability must have at least a +1 enhancement bonus.

Oh well, that is still too expensive for now, the dragonsbreath arrows cost way less than 375

Yes, but with less damage.
However, house ruling that a bolt version exists seems quite reasonable.

Roland St. Jude
2007-12-12, 03:33 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: I'm going to lock this now and redirect you to the new version... here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3649725#post3649725).