PDA

View Full Version : Crafting with Starmetal 3.5

kbob
2018-04-24, 12:11 PM
I am playing in a group and my character has come across starmetal. I believe I have an accurate view of what starmetal does (weapons: same as adamantine plus 1d6 damage to outsiders; armor: same as adamantine plus 1d6 damage to enemy if struck by outsider who did not use a weapon <natural weapons still take damage>). My question though is how much starmetal does it tak to augment the weapon? I read (forgotten realms wikia) that people find it in very small amounts (pebble size up to size of ogre head) and that it is ground down and mixed with other metals/alloys to give the item its bonus. Also, seeing that it's a relative small amount, if it is mixed with another special material would it also get that bonus too? Lastly, if you did have enough to make an item out of solid starmetal, would it be harder and do more damage to outsiders?

Darrin
2018-04-24, 12:49 PM
I am playing in a group and my character has come across starmetal. I believe I have an accurate view of what starmetal does (weapons: same as adamantine plus 1d6 damage to outsiders; armor: same as adamantine plus 1d6 damage to enemy if struck by outsider who did not use a weapon <natural weapons still take damage>). My question though is how much starmetal does it tak to augment the weapon? I read (forgotten realms wikia) that people find it in very small amounts (pebble size up to size of ogre head) and that it is ground down and mixed with other metals/alloys to give the item its bonus. Also, seeing that it's a relative small amount, if it is mixed with another special material would it also get that bonus too? Lastly, if you did have enough to make an item out of solid starmetal, would it be harder and do more damage to outsiders?

Starmetal is made from meteoric iron, AKA a nickel-iron meteorite. Complete Arcane has more information on starmetal on page 141. However, I don't think either CA or the FR sources really go into much detail on the smelting or forging process. If the meteorite is large enough, then I don't see why you'd need to mix the meteoric iron with anything else, other than what you'd normally mix it with to make steel.

Khedrac
2018-04-24, 02:41 PM

Wrong for both weapons and armor - sorry.

Weapons - same as adamantine with +1d6 damage to creatures not on their home plane (i.e. Extraplanar).
Armor - same as adamantine with a lovely green color.

And there are no rules for starmetal "augmenting" a weapon - by the rules it needs to be made from starmetal.

hamishspence
2018-04-24, 03:00 PM
Yup. OOTS has the "regular steel alloyed with starmetal" concept for Roy's weapon- but that's home-brew.

Standard starmetal is already an alloy.

Vizzerdrix
2018-04-25, 02:17 PM
Weapons - same as adamantine with +1d6 damage to creatures not on their home plane (i.e. Extraplanar).

Oh my. That sounds handy. Good for dealing with summons, yes?