PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Cleric Evangelism Domain

nickl_2000
2018-04-24, 01:15 PM
This came up from a request on the 5e forums which caused some back and forth. I thought I would put it out here and see what others think of it.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1Gn-JpnM

JNAProductions
2018-04-24, 01:18 PM
Bit confused on some spell selections, but seems nicely balanced.

One thing is I would allow these clerics to use a shield, but might give them a nice ribbon that lets them use their Holy Symbol as a shield. Call it "Ward Of The Faithful" or someit.

nickl_2000
2018-04-24, 01:26 PM
Bit confused on some spell selections, but seems nicely balanced.

One thing is I would allow these clerics to use a shield, but might give them a nice ribbon that lets them use their Holy Symbol as a shield. Call it "Ward Of The Faithful" or someit.

The spell selections came from the idea of a charismatic evangelist or faith healer. The manipulation spells (suggestion, charm, and dominate person) are there as a way that this person can emotionally bring people to their deity. The rest are either healing (aid, remove curse), protection of self (Shield of Faith, Aid, Stoneskin), or banishment of outseides/demons (banishment and banishing smite).

Do you think that giving this cleric 17 AC at level 1 without weight restriction, gold cost, or a dex requirement is to much?

JNAProductions
2018-04-24, 01:28 PM
The spell selections came from the idea of a charismatic evangelist or faith healer. The manipulation spells (suggestion, charm, and dominate person) are there as a way that this person can emotionally bring people to their deity. The rest are either healing (aid, remove curse), protection of self (Shield of Faith, Aid, Stoneskin), or banishment of outseides/demons (banishment and banishing smite).

Do you think that giving this cleric 17 AC at level 1 without weight restriction, gold cost, or a dex requirement is to much?

Fighters, if Strength-based, start at 18. Yes, they TECHNICALLY have requirements for that (Strength 13 or 10' move speed reduction) but if you're already going to be Strength-based, that's basically nothing. Hell, Clerics can start at 18 too, in the same fashion.

Perhaps have the Ward become inert until the start of your next turn should you cast an offensive spell or take offensive action? That way, it further encourages supportive play.

nickl_2000
2018-04-24, 01:40 PM
Fighters, if Strength-based, start at 18. Yes, they TECHNICALLY have requirements for that (Strength 13 or 10' move speed reduction) but if you're already going to be Strength-based, that's basically nothing. Hell, Clerics can start at 18 too, in the same fashion.

Perhaps have the Ward become inert until the start of your next turn should you cast an offensive spell or take offensive action? That way, it further encourages supportive play.

What about this?
Divine Shield
When you are not carrying a shield, as a bonus action, you may hold your holy symbol in your hand and call out to your deity for additional protection. A shimmering image of your deity's symbol projects in front of you, acting like a shield. For 1 minute, you may add +2 to your AC (as per a shield), and gives you advantage on saves against fear effects. You may use this ability a number of time equal to your wisdom modifier per long rest.

I want to keep the feel of the unarmored priest who's faith protects them if possible. Is the advantage against fear to much?

JNAProductions
2018-04-24, 01:41 PM
What about this?
Divine Shield
When you are not carrying a shield, you may hold your holy symbol in your hand and call out to your deity for additional protection as a bonus action. A shimmering image of your deity's symbol projects in front of you, acting like a shield. For 1 minute, you may add +2 to your AC (as per a shield), and gives you advantage on saves against fear effects. You may use this ability a number of time equal to your wisdom modifier per long rest.

I want to keep the feel of the unarmored priest who's faith protects them if possible. Is the advantage against fear to much?

Nah, seems fine to me.

nickl_2000
2018-04-24, 01:43 PM
Nah, seems fine to me.

Think that addresses your concerns in power? Also, do the spells make more sense when I explain them?

JNAProductions
2018-04-24, 01:46 PM
Think that addresses your concerns in power? Also, do the spells make more sense when I explain them?

Oh, it was fine power-wise. Could use a small bump, but I'd play it as-is right now.

And yes.

Composer99
2018-04-25, 07:44 AM
The Armor of the Faithful strikes me as a kind of unarmoured defence feature. I wonder if it would be better if it set AC to 10 + Dex + Wis, or 12 + Wis if the former would be too MAD for clerics? Those options strike me as being more in line with similar features, and growing more organically (as it were), than a static set AC.

As for Holy Retribution, you should probably clarify what is an eligible target. With the word retribution in the feature's name, it seems to me that the target should be the creature who damaged you in the first place. Otherwise, do you need to be able to see the target? Is there a range limit? That said, if your intent is that there's no constraint or restriction on what is an eligible target, you don't need to change anything.

That said, I think wording the feature such that you have resistance is unnecessary and even a bit confusing. Instead, I suggest stating that you take half the damage, and the eligible target takes half. (My thinking here is that damage resistance is a general interaction between creatures and damage, while this feature is a specific interaction that isn't actually related to damage resistance as such.)

nickl_2000
2018-04-25, 08:32 AM
The Armor of the Faithful strikes me as a kind of unarmoured defence feature. I wonder if it would be better if it set AC to 10 + Dex + Wis, or 12 + Wis if the former would be too MAD for clerics? Those options strike me as being more in line with similar features, and growing more organically (as it were), than a static set AC.

Thanks for the comments, I actually specifically chose to make it a set AC to give the character more versatility in Stat choices, but also limits. Giving 13 + Wisdom means that a Moon Druid could hop in there take 1 level and have a set 18 AC that would likely be accessible at level 1. On the other hand, setting it to 15 flat out at level 1 limits the power. From a positive side though, you don't need to worry about stats as much with a set AC, which frees this character to spend stat points on stats other than the standard Wis/Con/Dex or Wis/Con/Str.

As for Holy Retribution, you should probably clarify what is an eligible target. With the word retribution in the feature's name, it seems to me that the target should be the creature who damaged you in the first place. Otherwise, do you need to be able to see the target? Is there a range limit? That said, if your intent is that there's no constraint or restriction on what is an eligible target, you don't need to change anything.

Thanks for the thoughts on this. My intent was that it would be similar to the Drunken Master Redirect attack ability. I absolutely need to put limits on what is an eligible target. It would make sense to have it be any target within 30 feet that you can see. I want it to be more than just the person who attacked. Do you have a better idea for a name giving these thoughts? I see what you mean that the name implies that it only hits the one that attacked you.

That said, I think wording the feature such that you have resistance is unnecessary and even a bit confusing. Instead, I suggest stating that you take half the damage, and the eligible target takes half. (My thinking here is that damage resistance is a general interaction between creatures and damage, while this feature is a specific interaction that isn't actually related to damage resistance as such.)

I chose resistance for a few reasons
1) This prevents someone from doubling up the damage prevention, since someone can only have resistance once. If a raging barbarian also had this ability, they don't get the damage dropped by 3/4, it would still be only by 1/2. It's a limiting feature by naming it as this.
2) Resistance is a known mechanic, so a player is used to seeing this.

I will try and tighten up the phrasing to make it less confusing though.

Spore
2018-04-25, 09:12 AM
I feel the Channel Divinity could use a second choice. While I LOVE the fluff behind it you have two quite niche uses for your channel divinity. I would maybe just have it give a bardic inspiration to any ally that can hear the evangelist

nickl_2000
2018-04-25, 09:20 AM
I feel the Channel Divinity could use a second choice. While I LOVE the fluff behind it you have two quite niche uses for your channel divinity. I would maybe just have it give a bardic inspiration to any ally that can hear the evangelist

Do you think it would make sense to add a second use of Channel divinity at level 6 without removing anything else? Or what would be removed if I added that?

I did leave it as a niche use, but that seemed fitting given some of the other powers being very combat based. Also, it seems like a several cleric domains have very niche channel divinities (Arcana, Nature, and Forge especially). What if faith healer could also be used to restore some HP based on the cleric level (maybe 2x Cleric level)? That would still be fitting, but would also make it much less niche. However, would doing so steal to much away from the Paladin's laying on of hands ability (or am I already doing this enough that it doesn't matter)?

Composer99
2018-04-25, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the thoughts on this. My intent was that it would be similar to the Drunken Master Redirect attack ability. I absolutely need to put limits on what is an eligible target. It would make sense to have it be any target within 30 feet that you can see. I want it to be more than just the person who attacked. Do you have a better idea for a name giving these thoughts? I see what you mean that the name implies that it only hits the one that attacked you.

Thanks for your clarifications on the other points; carry on!

As for this point, you're probably fine sticking with Holy Retribution as the name for the feature, as long as you add in some flavour text, something like:

When your enemies strike you, you can call upon your deity to turn some of the harm they inflict back upon them and their allies.

That's probably not the best wording, but it's something to start on.

nickl_2000
2018-04-25, 09:54 AM
That's probably not the best wording, but it's something to start on.

I touched it up a little bit to add flavour.

Holy Retribution (level 6)
When you take non-magical piercing, bludgeoning, or slashing damage, you may use your reaction to gain resistance to that damage. Additionally, you may channel the energy of the damage prevented by the resistance through your diety into a divine strike (Radiant Damage) on any target that you can see within 30ft. This can be done a number of time equal to your wisdom modifier per long rest.