PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Half-Oni Homebrew Race

DogNamedMonk
2018-04-24, 01:27 PM
First off, I'd like to start of by saying that I'm not a native english speaker. Please excuse any spelling errors.

Now, let's get to the good stuff!

Half-Oni

Ability Score Increase : Your Constitution increases by 1
Age : Half-Oni reach maturity at around the same age as humans, but can live up to be around 900 years old.
Alignment : Half-Oni are often seen as monstrosities, facing a lot of disgust from the other races. This tends to make Half-Oni lean more towards the chaotic alignments, some even accepting their tainted blood and becoming evil.
Size : Half-Oni range from 6 to 8 feet tall. Your size is medium.
Speed : Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision : You have darkvision for up to 60 feet, though you can't discern colors.
Languages : You know Common and Giant, as well as any other languages granted to you by your class or background.
Regeneration : Like your Oni brethren you can regenerate the wounds you've gained, to a lesser degree. You can't do this automatically, however, needing to concentrate yourself on your wounds. As an action during your turn you can expend a hit die, gaining back the hit die roll plus your Constitution modifier as hit points.
Iron Stomach : Your ogre ancestry gives you great tolerance. You have advantage on Constitution saving throws againts the effects of poison and alcohol.
Oni Heritage : All Oni are different, and have different capabilities. You have to choose your Oni heritage to determine your capabilities.

Red Oni are the warriors, the fighters. They are the physically strongest Oni, and red Half-Oni often make some of the best warriors around.
Ability Score Increase : Your Strength increases by 2.
Powerful Build : You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.

Some Oni are not physically strong, but instead mentally strong. These are the blue Oni. They are the schemers, the planners. Blue Half-Oni are often intellectuals, and are innately magical.
Ability Score Increase : Your Intelligence increases by 2.
Natural Magic : Your magical, and you've been since birth. You learn the Thaumaturgy cantrip. If you're a spellcaster, this doesn't count against your maximum spells know.

Then there are green Oni. Green Oni are special in the fact that they don't rely on superior muscle or smarts, they rely on their natural charisma. They are mischievous, and are very fond of music and dance. Green Half-Oni are no different. They are often the bards, jesters and comedians.
Ability Score Increase : Your Charisma increases by 2.
Charismatic Eye : You seem to be able to make anyone your friend. You learn the Friends cantrip, and it doesn't count against your maximum spells known.

All criticisms are appreciated! :smallsmile:

V.2 I've added subraces!
Lemme know what you think about the new version! :smallbiggrin:

nickl_2000
2018-04-24, 02:06 PM
I have a personal issue against classes that gives Strength (or Charisma) score increases by 2. I prefer someone pick one that fits the theme that they are going for and stick with it (or create subrace options for each one).

I don't see anything wrong with this race, it isn't overpowered at all. It may be slightly underpowered actually.

JNAProductions
2018-04-24, 06:15 PM
I'd agree, pick Strength, Charisma, or split them into more distinct subraces.

Overall... Not much. A bit on the weak side, but nothing major.

Blackbando
2018-04-25, 07:00 AM
Once per turn on Regeneration is almost redundant, as it takes an action. The only way to use it more than once is via Action Surge, but if they're using that for more regen, I don't see anything wrong with that.

DogNamedMonk
2018-04-25, 01:32 PM
NEW VERSION IS UP!

Please tell me how you like it. :smallsmile: