PDA

View Full Version : Coming Up With a Cool Boon for My Player

TGMohle
2018-04-24, 01:45 PM
So before I go into it, let's give some context on the player that helps out with the boon, starting with flavor:

He is a solider / ranger type who has bonded (and basically made a pact) with a Celestial spirit of Retribution and Justice named Menti. To give some insight on his backstory, he was a platoon leader who was basically betrayed by who he thought was his closest friend in a war that cost him his entire nation. Feeling his pain and desperation, a slumbering Celestial spirit awoke and called out to him. He recently learned to access her powers at will, where as before he could only make use of them during dire / emotional situations. As of now, he is considered an "imperfect vessel" for this Celestial spirit, and I figured it's about time to give him a "boon" that fits the theme.

The character wears a military issue brown leather duster, and when he utilizes the boon it essentially becomes a radiant, golden white coat with the symbol of Menti (the Celestial spirit) emblazened on it. If you want a better image of it, think Naruto when he goes Sage of Six Paths mode as a reference:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/00/88/6d/00886d6ab98941db77329852782f8eec.png

Now for the mechanical stuff:

- He is level 10.
- He is a Ranger 6 / Sorcerer 4 multiclass (don't worry about this being bad, we've worked stuff out so it is not).
- He is basically a switch hitter, going between a hand crossbow and a rapier. He uses both equally.
- He utilizes celestial magics / spells to assist him in combat. Think Eldritch Knight / Hexblade.

I want this boon to give three things:
- A passive defensive boost ability (more than just "+X to AC").
- A passive offensive boost ability.
- A powerful active offensive ability.

To give a little more flavor text, he imagines himself darting around the battlefield with blinding speed, possessing lightning fast reflexes, etc.

FelineArchmage
2018-04-24, 02:11 PM
- A passive defensive boost ability (more than just "+X to AC").

Celestial Brilliance
A certain number of times per day (DM's choice on quantity), whenever you are about to be hit by a melee attack, your body flashes with a dazzling light into the face of your enemy. The enemy has disadvantage on the attack roll against you.

Something along those lines?

Lord8Ball
2018-04-24, 02:27 PM
You could take some things from bladesong and make it wisdom based. Maybe while the boon if imperfect when the player gets hit he must take a concentration check to keep the effect running. There is also a racial ability for aasmir which adds radiant damage to an attack which you could add. And for some flavor you could dab a constant thaumaturgy effect on the player.

TGMohle
2018-04-24, 08:08 PM
Celestial Brilliance
A certain number of times per day (DM's choice on quantity), whenever you are about to be hit by a melee attack, your body flashes with a dazzling light into the face of your enemy. The enemy has disadvantage on the attack roll against you.

Something along those lines?

Yeah, something like this. Maybe I should consider going the extra mile and just allowing his leather duster (during this "mode") to act as a Cloak of Displacement?

TGMohle
2018-04-24, 08:10 PM
You could take some things from bladesong and make it wisdom based. Maybe while the boon if imperfect when the player gets hit he must take a concentration check to keep the effect running. There is also a racial ability for aasmir which adds radiant damage to an attack which you could add. And for some flavor you could dab a constant thaumaturgy effect on the player.

That's an interesting idea! I don't remember what the bladesong stuff is off the top of my head, but I'll go take a look and see if it fits.

When it comes to the Aasimar racial abilities, those could also be on the table. Extra radiant damage once per turn might be an alright "passive offensive" ability, but I feel like it's... missing something.

Temperjoke
2018-04-24, 08:44 PM
How about a sort of "justice flash" ability that can be activated a number of times equal to his charisma mod between long rests that:

1. Applies disadvantage to all enemy attacks on their next attack within a 10 foot radius from him.
2. Applies advantage to all attacks against enemies affected by the justice flash
3. Using the boon causes his melee weapon to light up, causing it to cast bright light in a 10 foot radius and dim light another 5 feet beyond that, inflicting additional radiance damage equal to his charisma modifier.

Cespenar
2018-04-25, 04:32 AM
What's described in the first post basically has "Haste" written all over it, in my opinion.

Vogie
2018-04-25, 01:41 PM
Menti's Mantle
If you were to take take acid, cold, fire, lightning, radiant or thunder damage, you may have the cloak capture some of the incoming energy, lessening its effect on you, storing it and making it to glow with radiant light. While the cloak is glowing in this manner, it adds 1 radiant damage to any melee, ranged or spell attack made. You have resistance to the triggering damage type until the start of your next turn. As a bonus action, the next time you would hit with a melee or ranged attack, the target takes an extra 1d4 radiant damage per caster level, and both the glowing and passive damage effects end. You may take this reaction once per short or long rest.

TGMohle
2018-04-25, 09:36 PM
What's described in the first post basically has "Haste" written all over it, in my opinion.

You know, that's so incredibly simple but so awesome.