PDA

View Full Version : Venom trailer

Cen
2018-04-25, 05:57 AM
So it's here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Mv98Gr5pY).
Venom's face looks nice. His voice is cool.

But apart from that? no spiderman, his powers are bonkers and looks like "Prototype:the movie", no need to call it Venom.
Opinions?

Brother Oni
2018-04-25, 06:47 AM
...looks like "Prototype:the movie"...

This comparison makes my inner geek sad. :smallfrown:

It's only a trailer, so I'm reserving judgement, but it looks like a far more serious take on the character than 90s Venom and their macabre sense of humour ("Eyes! Liver! Pancreas! So many snacks, so little time!").

I wonder if they're planning to tie this in to the rest of the MCU.

Clertar
2018-04-25, 07:08 AM
I find it strange that Venom doesn't have the Spider-man powers that it got from being merged with Peter Parker. That, with the "evil Spider-man" looks of the suited-up Venom, plus the yearning of the symbiote to merge with Peter Parker again, with the origin story we seem to be getting in this movie make it feel a little empty to me, in the sense that if you remove that, all you have is a guy with some powers --of which we have so many it's hardly special anymore. The same trailer would work with an adult verion of Stranger Thing's Eleven and it would be the same.

JoshL
2018-04-25, 07:18 AM
Caveat: I'm not into anti-hero/protagonist Venom at all. I like him as the monster that he is. I feel the same way about vampires too, but I digress.

The first half of the trailer didn't grab my interest, but once Venom kicks in, I found it far more engaging than I expected. Wouldn't go out of my way to see it, but I'd happily see it with friends.

Fun fact: Tom Hardy is playing both Eddie and the voice of Venom. From the trailer, that's looking like some solid work!

GentlemanVoodoo
2018-04-25, 12:31 PM
A bit iffy at best. The trailer at first does suggest a much darker movie but then turns into another generic action super hero movie. It seems they were trying to pass this off like an adult like film similar to Logan but still keeping it PG-13. May see this when it gets to the cheap theatre but not that impressed so far.

lord_khaine
2018-04-25, 04:23 PM
I kinda disliked the trailer. Most of all because i kinda found the Symbiote powers kinda boring and dumb.
The most this have in common with Venom is the name and apperance.

Devonix
2018-04-25, 04:49 PM
Best Venom is Flash Thompson Venom because it elaborated further on something always evident in the mythos. That everything was Peter's fault.

Rater202
2018-04-25, 05:02 PM
They seem to be having Eddie take on Flash Thompson's Heroic Traits while giving the symbiote the actively malevolent traits it gained after years of corruption.

ben-zayb
2018-04-25, 06:32 PM
They seem to be having Eddie take on Flash Thompson's Heroic Traits while giving the symbiote the actively malevolent traits it gained after years of corruption.

That's what confused me too. Wasn't Eddie the "abuser" in the Venom-Eddie reñationship?

Devonix
2018-04-25, 06:47 PM
That's what confused me too. Wasn't Eddie the "abuser" in the Venom-Eddie reñationship?

Eddie was more an enabler than an abuser.

Rater202
2018-04-25, 07:07 PM

It's more that Eddie's first round as Venom was a mutually toxic relationship all around--The Planet of the Symbiotes storyline all but explicitly states that he was abad host for Venom.

Eddie Brock had violent mood swings as a result of his adrenal cancer and had come to hate Spider-Man because Spider-Man catching the Sin-Eater revealed the confession he reported on to have been false--his poor journalism in that incident costing him his job, while that and other factors cost him his marriage.

He went to his church, begging God to forgive him because he was planning to kill himself, only to be jumped by the Symbiote who bonded to him and had itself come to hate Spider-Man due to being rejected by him and not quite understanding why(BTW: Originally, Spidey just freaked out at his costume being alive. Venom having made him act more aggressively was a retcon made after the Animated Series did it)

It was that mutual hatred that kept them together, but that was basically the only thing they had in common and being exposed to violence and hatred is not good for a klyntar's psychological health--they're a race that can feel emotions but doesn't really have a concept of them, and Venom had exactly one host prior to being imprisoned for god knows how long and he had Venom exactly long enough to commit total genocide of every life form on his home planet.

Essentially, Venom was a pissed off toddler sharing a body with a guy with a nasty hormonal imbalance and this relationship was bad for the both of them, ultimately driving the symbiote violently insane, and it would take out its frustrations on Eddie, who grew to hate it, when he wouldn't play to its violent impulses.

MacGargan made it worse, being an outright villainous host and also a pliable host who eventually became a willing puppet for the Symbiote's bloodlust(Notably, it's implied once or twice that the Scorpion didn't stop eating people after the symbiote was taken from him) which made it worseto the point where the Klyntar Hivemind had to basically erase almost all of the Symbiotes memories other than Flash Thompson and it's first host before the purification would take.

It should be noted that Venom regained it's memories of it's main hosts after an encounter with Spider-Man, though it's missing it's time with Deadpool(Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars and Deadpool: Back in Black) as well as the events between it's birth and ending up with it's murderous first host(Poison X, a Venom/X-Men crossover, suggests that Venom was oobducted from the Klyntar home planet and sold as a weapon, but Venom doens't recongize the armsdealer)

Ooh, something else: According to a Flashback to Venom's original host, the White Spider-Emblem, or at least something similar to it, is an actual part of the Symbiote's defualt form when bonded to a host. It's similarity to the outfit of the Second Spider-Woman, what Pete was thinking of when he bonded to the symbiote thinking it to be another costume, is apparently a coincidence.

Meaning that Venom should totally have a Spider-Emblem in this movie.

Kitten Champion
2018-04-25, 09:05 PM
The only thing I've genuinely liked from the whole symbiote concept in Marvel was the original Black Suit Spider-Man story, where Peter faces his inner-most desires against his moral centre to basically reaffirm who he his as a person and hero. It was something that was developed carefully - so you could see where Peter was coming from and why it was such a big temptation for him - as opposed to a Devil literally showing up to make a bargain in some contrived circumstances.

It was also a story pretty unique to Spider-Man, insofar that so much of it comes from Peter as a character and his comic's basic thematic conceit, he is a Superhero where most things don't go his way and he has to struggle with day-to-day minutia like where his next paycheck comes from and his aged aunt's cholesterol levels and the like.

Making Venom a nemesis to Spider-Man makes sense, I just don't care about him as some kind of tangentially related anti-hero character. It was kind of fun for a while in PS2's Ultimate Spider-Man to play the brawny monstrous thing in a sandbox environment, but I... guess the crux of it is I have no emotional attachment to Venom himself beyond a certain respect for his aesthetic.

Basically, I'm not invested in this movie at all one way the other and the trailer hasn't changed that. If it gets good reviews and I'm not doing anything I could see it maybe, that, or more likely, rent/stream it later.

Devonix
2018-04-25, 09:45 PM
The only thing I've genuinely liked from the whole symbiote concept in Marvel was the original Black Suit Spider-Man story, where Peter faces his inner-most desires against his moral centre to basically reaffirm who he his as a person and hero. It was something that was developed carefully - so you could see where Peter was coming from and why it was such a big temptation for him - as opposed to a Devil literally showing up to make a bargain in some contrived circumstances.

It was also a story pretty unique to Spider-Man, insofar that so much of it comes from Peter as a character and his comic's basic thematic conceit, he is a Superhero where most things don't go his way and he has to struggle with day-to-day minutia like where his next paycheck comes from and his aged aunt's cholesterol levels and the like.

Making Venom a nemesis to Spider-Man makes sense, I just don't care about him as some kind of tangentially related anti-hero character. It was kind of fun for a while in PS2's Ultimate Spider-Man to play the brawny monstrous thing in a sandbox environment, but I... guess the crux of it is I have no emotional attachment to Venom himself beyond a certain respect for his aesthetic.

Basically, I'm not invested in this movie at all one way the other and the trailer hasn't changed that. If it gets good reviews and I'm not doing anything I could see it maybe, that, or more likely, rent/stream it later.

Venom became far more interesting once they started tackling a lot of the problems. You see all of that stuff was never really the Symbiote's fault. It was Peters. Pete took what was basically a newborn creature off into battle, and since Symbiotes feed off of the emotions and thoughts of it's host Pete put all of this stress, and agression and other whole host of problems into this creature, and then when he found out it was alive he freaked out and abandoned it. All of Venom's problems come from that abandonment.

Kitten Champion
2018-04-25, 10:04 PM
Venom became far more interesting once they started tackling a lot of the problems. You see all of that stuff was never really the Symbiote's fault. It was Peters. Pete took what was basically a newborn creature off into battle, and since Symbiotes feed off of the emotions and thoughts of it's host Pete put all of this stress, and agression and other whole host of problems into this creature, and then when he found out it was alive he freaked out and abandoned it. All of Venom's problems come from that abandonment.

The Flash Thompson Venom was enjoyable - at least in comics - particularly if you look at the Symbiote as a victim of circumstances just as Flash is after his life started to go downhill.

... but that character took decades to make with the fictional parts they had to work with coming into alignment. This seems to be going with more of the 90's concept of Venom, only Eddie Brock isn't an envious bag of toxic masculinity.

Actually, It looks a lot like the Norton Incredible Hulk movie. With the neurotic, dishevelled protagonist with a potentially sinister Id made-manifest that'll pop up to save him while making his life kind of hellish all the while. Only the major antagonists are corporate thugs rather than military, and presumably they'll make Carnage at the end rather than the Abomination.

Rater202
2018-04-25, 10:11 PM
Venom became far more interesting once they started tackling a lot of the problems. You see all of that stuff was never really the Symbiote's fault. It was Peters. Pete took what was basically a newborn creature off into battle, and since Symbiotes feed off of the emotions and thoughts of it's host Pete put all of this stress, and aggression and other whole host of problems into this creature, and then when he found out it was alive he freaked out and abandoned it. All of Venom's problems come from that abandonment.

Uh, no, for one, Venom wasn't newborn, it'd been around long enough that the corrupt Klyntar thought that a corrupt Klyntar that wanted to cooperate with a host was insane and lock it away.

2: Venom: Space Knight makes a point of showing that Venom's original, genocidal host is responsible for it's literal addiction to rage and violence, while Poison X implies that it was genetically altered to be more agressive than usual.

3: The Klyntar are literally a species that's designed to be living weapons that adapt to the needs of their hosts, with the pure Klyntar Symbiotes making it a habit to bond to noble warriors so that they can respond to crises all over the universe, so Spidey taking it into battle wasn't a problem. It was literally born and bred to be a superhero and had been used as a murder weapon long before Pete got it.

4: The Guardians of the Galaxy arc that established that made it a point to mention that it's specifically "bad hosts" who make symbiotes evil, and after losing Toxin Eddie Brock has come to believe that his own anger and issues are responsible for the symbiote becoming evil--that's part of why he stole it from FBI custody after it was separated from Lee Price. the current canon is that Eddie and the symbiote's mutual hatred of Spider-Man and later their antagonistic relationship greatly exaggerated Venom's corruption.

5: And that's not even counting Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars and Deadpool: Black and Black, which are considered canon and establish that Deadpool was bonded to the symbiote briefly before putting it back in it's can(for fear that his warped psyche would traumatize it) and that he later had it for a bit between Spider-Man ditching it bonding to it and Eddie getting it, the implication being that absorbing Wade's insanity was a contributing factor to the symbiote's declining mental state

Spider-Man rejecting it, and Venom not understanding why he rejected it, were a contributed to it's violent insanity, but they're far from the sole cause.

Legato Endless
2018-04-26, 09:18 PM
Arguably an irrational pet peeve, but whenever a scientist in a film talks about something being 'the next stage' in human evolution, it makes me question what the writer's priorities are. Do we really need this explanation? Especially with how cliché and absurd it is? Bonus points for the scientist being an attractive person with frumpy clothing and glasses.

This feels like something out of an earlier decade.

Rater202
2018-04-26, 09:27 PM
Arguably an irrational pet peeve, but whenever a scientist in a film talks about something being 'the next stage' in human evolution, it makes me question what the writer's priorities are. Do we really need this explanation? Especially with how cliché and absurd it is?

Especially when it's something as inane as merging with technology and another organism?

Bonding to a symbiote isn't going to evolve humanity. Bonding to a Symbiote will not make you Homo superior, Homo novus, Homo symbiosis or even Homo sapien symbiosis. It makes you a human living in symbiosis with another organism.

If every human in the world, or at least a majority, were bonded to symbiotes and the symbiotes started exclusively bonding to humans, than maybe in a couple hundred-thousand or million years natural selection will result in humans that are optimized for for symbiotes and symbiotes that are optomized for human hosts and, thousands or millions more, a macro-scale equivelent to the processes that resulted in mitochondria.

Or you could cut out the middleman and genetically engineer human/symbiote hybrids in numbers great enough to eventually outbreed native humanity or, in less realistic stories, interbreed with humanity while producing part symbiote offspring, which would cut the numbers down to a ocouple hundred or thousand years

Spamotron
2018-04-26, 09:39 PM
Uh, no, for one, Venom wasn't newborn, it'd been around long enough that the corrupt Klyntar thought that a corrupt Klyntar that wanted to cooperate with a host was insane and lock it away.

2: Venom: Space Knight makes a point of showing that Venom's original, genocidal host is responsible for it's literal addiction to rage and violence, while Poison X implies that it was genetically altered to be more agressive than usual.

3: The Klyntar are literally a species that's designed to be living weapons that adapt to the needs of their hosts, with the pure Klyntar Symbiotes making it a habit to bond to noble warriors so that they can respond to crises all over the universe, so Spidey taking it into battle wasn't a problem. It was literally born and bred to be a superhero and had been used as a murder weapon long before Pete got it.

4: The Guardians of the Galaxy arc that established that made it a point to mention that it's specifically "bad hosts" who make symbiotes evil, and after losing Toxin Eddie Brock has come to believe that his own anger and issues are responsible for the symbiote becoming evil--that's part of why he stole it from FBI custody after it was separated from Lee Price. the current canon is that Eddie and the symbiote's mutual hatred of Spider-Man and later their antagonistic relationship greatly exaggerated Venom's corruption.

5: And that's not even counting Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars and Deadpool: Black and Black, which are considered canon and establish that Deadpool was bonded to the symbiote briefly before putting it back in it's can(for fear that his warped psyche would traumatize it) and that he later had it for a bit between Spider-Man ditching it bonding to it and Eddie getting it, the implication being that absorbing Wade's insanity was a contributing factor to the symbiote's declining mental state

Spider-Man rejecting it, and Venom not understanding why he rejected it, were a contributed to it's violent insanity, but they're far from the sole cause.

The Klyntar retcon for the symbiote is indeed interesting. My big fear is that sooner or later the Klyntar Hivemind is going to encounter Carnage and given the "murderous insanity is a cosmic level superpower," thing that too many writers in comics love their attempt to cure him will inevitably drive them all insane.

Rater202
2018-04-26, 09:48 PM
The Klyntar retcon for the symbiote is indeed interesting. My big fear is that sooner or later the Klyntar Hivemind is going to encounter Carnage and given the "murderous insanity is a cosmic level superpower," thing that too many writers in comics love their attempt to cure him will inevitably drive them all insane.

I'd be more worried about the fact that literally the entire population of Planet Klyntar has been abducted by the posions and genetically modifed to make them borderline impossible to remove from hosts, then forcibly bonded them to most of the major marvel characters as well as the Students at the Xavier School and a handful of C-Listers with the intent to assimilate them into th ePsion Hive.

Also, if it helps, barring some asspull that resurrects all the people who were eaten by Poisons, Cletus Kassady is dead.

On the other hand, Norman Osborn has the Carnage Symbiote now and has fed it the Goblin Serum.

Reddish Mage
2018-04-26, 10:28 PM
Arguably an irrational pet peeve, but whenever a scientist in a film talks about something being 'the next stage' in human evolution, it makes me question what the writer's priorities are. Do we really need this explanation? Especially with how cliché and absurd it is? Bonus points for the scientist being an attractive person with frumpy clothing and glasses.

This feels like something out of an earlier decade.

Or you could cut out the middleman and genetically engineer human/symbiote hybrids in numbers great enough to eventually outbreed native humanity or, in less realistic stories, interbreed with humanity while producing part symbiote offspring, which would cut the numbers down to a ocouple hundred or thousand years

Seems to me you got the idea all wrong. Attractive frumpy scientist knows that in the 21st Century, old-style evolution is out of date. Now evolution has outsourced all the work to mad scientists for mass-production humanity substitutes.

Symbiote-humans sound like decent competition for the other candidates.

It all has to happen with 2 hours and 15 minutes. Movie audiences won’t have otherwise.

Darth Ultron
2018-04-27, 06:23 AM
As a stand alone movie, if someone was just making ''The Cool Anti Hero" it does not look so bad.

It does not seem like a Venom movie though....other then the name and the look of the CGI spam character.

Venom with no Spider Man? Does not seem right?

I guess they are just hoping all the kidz will be like ''way coolz Venom!" and they will watch the movie? Or maybe they just think the movie is good enough to attract non-comic people?

Rater202
2018-04-27, 06:31 AM
From what I understand, Sony is trying to make a "Spider-Man" expanded universe that, while including Homecoming, doesn't nessesarily inclide the rest of the MCU.

There's a movie about Black Cat and Silver Sable on the docket, too.

Wraith
2018-04-27, 07:14 AM
On the one hand, my first - and still favourite - exposure to Venom was the animated series, and it's going to be hard to think of any original story for Eddie Brock/Venom which does not begin with Spider-Man. It's iconic to say the least, and gives a certain definition to his powers that are going to be very hard to explain without that first contact.

The comparison to Prototype being a prime example; Without the web-slinging aspect being referred to directly, this Venom movie feels a lot more like it was meant to be a remake of Spawn with an angry anti-hero with a black bodysuit and all the powers of silly-putty, because.... reasons.

Having said all that.

Spider-Man 3 was a mess for a long list of reasons, but one of the most vocalised (that I have come across, at least) is how an iconic character like Venom was wasted; being given to a whiney ass like Harry Osbourne, who then had to share screen-time with two other villains, all after having squeezed in an obnoxious and cringe-worthy "Peter Parker is a lame sort-of evil now" opening act.

It's no big surprise that Venom wants to stay well clear of any association with that kind of box-office poison and is trying to learn from previous mistakes - focus on Eddie Brock and Venom, don't water it down by including too many periphery characters and plots - and I think that's probably a good thing. Time will perhaps tell whether or not they cut away TOO much by there being (according to some sources) only a cameo by Spider-Man rather than an extended presence... And yet, I find myself intrigued by the possibilities of how they might tell a non-Spidey Venom story, and how they choose to evolve it into the MCU later.

It also helps that I like Tom Hardy a lot, and that he looked to be on really good form in the trailer. I remain quietly optimistic that an excellent lead actor might be able to carry an adequate script if done well - I'm hoping for Dredd or Punisher: War-Zone amounts of spectacle, rather than Hulk-style nonsense. :smalltongue:

Rater202
2018-04-27, 10:05 AM
Spider-Man 3 was a mess for a long list of reasons, but one of the most vocalised (that I have come across, at least) is how an iconic character like Venom was wasted; being given to a whiney ass like Harry Osbourne, who then had to share screen-time with two other villains, all after having squeezed in an obnoxious and cringe-worthy "Peter Parker is a lame sort-of evil now" opening act.You're drastically misremembering--Harry wasn't Venom, he was "The New Goblin," Eddie Brock was still in the movie, they just completly and utterly removed anything sympathetic about him.

Key point: The scene in the curch, he wasn't begging God to forgive him because he was planning to end his life, he was asking God to Kill Peter Parker becuase Parker had... Cost him his job as a journalist by pointing out that he'd not only completly made up a story but had actually plagerized one of Peter's own photos and eddited it to make his fake ass story seem real.

Draconi Redfir
2018-04-27, 05:25 PM
honestly i just hope they don't do what spider man 3 did and make "Venom" have exclusively his human face when in "Venom" form. You only see "Venom"'s face in that movie for about a combined minute or so at best, rest of the time it's peeled-back to show off the boring human face.

also; Make him swole dangit. There was no reason to have him thin and fast in spider man 3, he's supposed to be built like the hulk and able to smash concrete with his fists. "Thin crazy and fast" is Carnage, not Venom.

Rater202
2018-04-27, 05:34 PM
honestly i just hope they don't do what spider man 3 did and make "Venom" have exclusively his human face when in "Venom" form. You only see "Venom"'s face in that movie for about a combined minute or so at best, rest of the time it's peeled-back to show off the boring human face.

also; Make him swole dangit. There was no reason to have him thin and fast in spider man 3, he's supposed to be built like the hulk and able to smash concrete with his fists. "Thin crazy and fast" is Carnage, not Venom.

Eddie's Venom had the same figure as Eddie--it was Gargon's Venom that was a hulking brute, and Ultimate Venom copied that.

Since Sm3 Eddie was lithe, his venom had to be lithe.

Also, CG is expensive and they'd used up a lot of the budget already.

#notdefendingjustexplwining

Draconi Redfir
2018-04-27, 05:39 PM
Eddie's Venom had the same figure as Eddie--it was Gargon's Venom that was a hulking brute, and Ultimate Venom copied that.

Since Sm3 Eddie was lithe, his venom had to be lithe.

Also, CG is expensive and they'd used up a lot of the budget already.

#notdefendingjustexplwining

all i know is i played at least two video games and saw one animated series where Venom had bulging biceps and pecs for days. maybe i'm biased, but my opinion stands.

beefy venom ftw

Wraith
2018-04-27, 06:08 PM
You're drastically misremembering--Harry wasn't Venom, he was "The New Goblin," Eddie Brock was still in the movie, they just completly and utterly removed anything sympathetic about him.

Thank you for clarifying the mistake, but y'know what? I'm not even going to apologise for it. :smalltongue:

If they can miscast a film so badly that I genuinely couldn't tell the difference between (supposed) college quarterback Eddie Brock and red-headed nerd Harry Osbourne, I don't think that's entirely my fault and just serves to highlight how bad the SM3 Venom really was. Two whitebread guys in CGI pyjamas and with the same stupid hole cut in the front of their mask; again, it's no wonder the new movie is staying as far away from that as possible.

Brother Oni
2018-04-27, 06:48 PM

I distinctly remember 90s Venom being fairly buff as Eddie pumped iron during his time in prison. This was shortly before the symbiote broke Eddie out of prison and left its spawn behind with his cellmate, Cletus Cassidy, who would later become Carnage (a quick wiki check says this was around Amazing Spider 345).

That said, looking up Gargan's Venom, I agree that Venom was much bigger with him (I wasn't able to read many Marvel comics after about '96).

Rater202
2018-04-27, 06:57 PM
I distinctly remember 90s Venom being fairly buff as Eddie pumped iron during his time in prison.

But it didn't physically make him buffer.

Trilogy Venom conformed to Eddie's body, like comic venom, but that Eddie wasn't ridiculously buff.

Darth Ultron
2018-04-27, 08:17 PM
From what I understand, Sony is trying to make a "Spider-Man" expanded universe that, while including Homecoming, doesn't nessesarily inclide the rest of the MCU.

There's a movie about Black Cat and Silver Sable on the docket, too.

A spidey-verse? That might work.

But it would seem you'd want Spider Man in such a universe. Do it like, say, Black Panther: He gets introduced in the Captain America movie, then gets his own movie.

Or do the Spider Man guest star.....for like ever, any new comic always got spider Man as a guest star in like issue two or three as a ''welcome to the Marvel universe".

Rater202
2018-04-27, 08:29 PM
Nowadays when Marvel's introducing a new character, they have them appear in other works before or during the early run of their series--Kamala Kahn as Miss Marvel hada gust shot in a Spider-Man issue(Kamala draws a bit from 60s and early 70s spider-man more than Carol Danvers, ironically enough, though she's a modern take on nerdiness. She openly admitted to shipping Spider-Marvel(Spider-Man/Carol Danvers) to Spidey's face) and Gwen Poole first appeared in a three part back-up story in Howard the Duck.

Though Sony isn't Marvel so whatever

For what i's worth, there's rumors of a Spider-Man cameo.

alternatively, Sony might be planning to Avengers 1 it--get Spidey, get Venom, Get Cat and Sable, then bring them all together for a big budget movie.

Phexar
2018-04-27, 11:38 PM

Don't forget they made some of his human teeth pointy as well for some reason which made him look goofy.

https://img.cinemablend.com/filter:scale/quill/8/8/a/0/f/c/88a0fc210799940646e414fab6469b94a045ad2e.jpg?mw=60 0

ben-zayb
2018-04-28, 12:27 AM
I don't even get Homecoming's continuity with Sony's Spideyverse. Avengers are definitely a thing in that movie, right? Would Sony make a fourth Spider-Man origins movie that is compliant to their new canon?

rooster707
2018-04-28, 12:42 AM
I don't even get Homecoming's continuity with Sony's Spideyverse. Avengers are definitely a thing in that movie, right? Would Sony make a fourth Spider-Man origins movie that is compliant to their new canon?

That’s what I’ve been wondering. How are they keeping it separate from the MCU when they have Iron Man showing up in Homecoming, Spider-Man in Civil War, etc.. This confuses me. And also makes me a lot less interested in the movie, unfortunately.

Devonix
2018-04-28, 12:29 PM
My understanding was that Spiderman doesn't exist there. They've pulled out Spiderman and he's just with the Regular Avengers Marvel movies and such.

This Venom thing and anything else Sony done has no actual connection to Spiderman.

Rater202
2018-04-28, 12:53 PM
That’s what I’ve been wondering. How are they keeping it separate from the MCU when they have Iron Man showing up in Homecoming, Spider-Man in Civil War, etc.. This confuses me. And also makes me a lot less interested in the movie, unfortunately.

The way I understand it is that, if the rumors are true, MCU is canon to Spideyverse but not the other way around unless otherwise stated.

Though considering that they're making an actual theatrical animated feature based on Spider-Verse, Spideyverse is probably not what the setting will becalled.

Draconi Redfir
2018-04-28, 02:29 PM
i think homecoming being canon to spideyverse but not to the avengerseverse is doable. you just need to pull some clever offscreen tricks.

like, yeah. civil war and ultron and infinity war? all of that still HAPPENED, it's just that none of it matters to the characters of the spideyverse. it all happened offscreen where the spidey character's aren't.

similar to how some star wars toys were made of things that never existed in the films back in the day. they were THERE, they just weren't on-screen at the time.

Celestia
2018-04-29, 10:41 PM
This movie looks painfully uninteresting. It seems like standard, too-gritty, action shlock that is trying to cash in on a big name without respecting the material. I can't imagine this could possibly be good.

Rater202
2018-04-29, 10:46 PM
This movie looks painfully uninteresting. It seems like standard, too-gritty, action shlock that is trying to cash in on a big name without respecting the material. I can't imagine this could possibly be good.

Actually, since the Life Foundations and the sociopathic scientist running it are major factors in the film, they've clearly done at least a big deal of research as they're actually rather important to the Symbiote Lore, being directly responsible for the existance of most of Venom's spawn(Currently in the comics, Venom has seven offspring, not counting it's clones or the Anti-Venoms made from it's remnants. Five of those were born as a result of the Life Foundation forcing the symbiote to reproduce while experimenting on it.)

Celestia
2018-04-30, 07:18 AM
Actually, since the Life Foundations and the sociopathic scientist running it are major factors in the film, they've clearly done at least a big deal of research as they're actually rather important to the Symbiote Lore, being directly responsible for the existance of most of Venom's spawn(Currently in the comics, Venom has seven offspring, not counting it's clones or the Anti-Venoms made from it's remnants. Five of those were born as a result of the Life Foundation forcing the symbiote to reproduce while experimenting on it.)
That doesnt mean they're respecting the material. I'm pretty sure Transformers got a bunch of names right.

Mikemical
2018-04-30, 07:42 AM
Is it just me, or is his head kinda tiny? Like, Unlimited Spider-Man Venom tiny.

Velaryon
2018-04-30, 11:48 PM
I'm a little torn on it. I don't have the level of comics knowledge that a lot of you have. Most of what I know of Venom comes from a combination of the trading cards they used to sell back in the 90's, plus the Spider Man & Venom video games from the 16-bit era (Maximum Carnage and Separation Anxiety).

So really, I only have two big takeaways from the trailer:

1. I really like the way he looks once he goes full Venom.
1. I really hate that they cast Tom Hardy in the role. I cannot stand him most of the time, so this might be a hard pass for me just based on who's starring in it.

Clertar
2018-05-02, 03:31 AM
One of the sad consequences of removing Venom's origin from anything Peter Parker related is that any adaptation of Maximum Carnage is completely ruled out. And it could work pretty neatly if it was adapted like Civil War, toning it down and having Carnage getting some nutjobs to form his family, threaten to take over and/or destroy Brooklyn and have Venom reluctantly team up with Peter Parker and some Avengers (to which they could throw in some of the Netflix heroes!). Sigh.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-05-02, 11:08 AM
Only if Disney buys Sony first to clear up the rights issues.

Rater202
2018-05-02, 11:13 AM
Only if Disney buys Sony first to clear up the rights issues.

Give it a few years.

Kato
2018-05-02, 12:02 PM
1. I really hate that they cast Tom Hardy in the role. I cannot stand him most of the time, so this might be a hard pass for me just based on who's starring in it.

Huh, that's weird. I've almost always only heard good things about him. Care to elaborate?

As for the trailer... in general it looks fine to me but I'll agree it seems like a rather generic superhero movie...
I don't know too much about Eddie's run as venom, though, so I can't say what part of his storyline could be interesting, assuming they can't use Spidey.
Of course the whole "evil symbiote" thing is... well, because Venom in most popular instances was pretty evil. Venom as an ant-hero is almost exclusively comic material, and suddenly showing that to main stream audiences might be confusing. And the symbiote origin story... yeah, maybe in ten years when we do get that venom / GOTG crossover. Before that? Hardly.

sidenote: Is it "symb-i-ote or symb-ee-ote? :smallconfused:

Rater202
2018-05-02, 12:06 PM
sidenote: Is it "symb-i-ote or symb-ee-ote? :smallconfused:

Traditionally it's either "sim-bee-OAT" or "sim-bee-OUGHT," with both pronunciations being considered correct.

For some reason, the movie pronounces it SIMB... EYE... OAT which is kind of grating on the ear.

ben-zayb
2018-05-02, 06:05 PM
Traditionally it's either "sim-bee-OAT" or "sim-bee-OUGHT," with both pronunciations being considered correct.

For some reason, the movie pronounces it SIMB... EYE... OAT which is kind of grating on the ear.The character is probably not American. Considering that the closest real word term (and where it is possibly derived from) is symbiosis, and I'm yet to hear someone not American pronounce it as "sim-bee-o-sis", I don't think that would be an issue unless there is WoG on how symbiote is actually pronounced.

Clertar
2018-05-03, 01:42 AM
I think a good guess of how it would be pronounced IRL would be to take how you say symbiotic* and just drop the -ic.

* "There is a symbiotic relationship between X and Y."

Draconi Redfir
2018-05-03, 03:06 AM
idk about you guys but persionally i pronounce symbiotic as "sim-BYE-ot-ick soo... *shrug*

Symbiote i think i pronounce as sim-BYE-oat

ben-zayb
2018-05-03, 04:44 AM
^ Ditto. Everyone I know (in person) also pronounce such words as sim-bye-(-o-tic, -o-sis).

Again, I'd just chalk it up to geographical differences (causing different linguistic evolutions) and would gladly accept if there's WOG on the "correct" pronunciation. Sorry if it sounded like a bigger deal than what I intended it to be.

Rater202
2018-05-03, 06:58 AM
Guys? Seriously, every adaption has either said "sim-bee-ot" or "sim-bee-oat"

Both of those are considered the correct pronunciation.

This actress has had plenty of opportunity to have heard it pronounced out loud.

Even if it was "sim-bye-oat" You would not put equal emphasis on all syllables. It would not be pronounced "SYM...BYE...OAT."

Brother Oni
2018-05-04, 01:45 AM
It would not be pronounced "SYM...BYE...OAT."

Depends on whether they ascribe to the William Shatner School of OverActing. :smalltongue:

Draconi Redfir
2018-05-04, 02:23 AM
Guys? Seriously, every adaption has either said "sim-bee-ot" or "sim-bee-oat"

we were talking more how we say the word in general, not how we say it in reference to Venom.

heck, the Stargate crew keep calling the Go'auld "Sim-Bee-ANT" so there you go.

Brother Oni
2018-05-04, 04:26 AM
heck, the Stargate crew keep calling the Go'auld "Sim-Bee-ANT" so there you go.

Don't they use a different word in Stargate though? The real world term symbiont (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/symbiont) rather than the fictional word 'symbiote' for Venom?

Rater202
2018-05-04, 06:57 AM
Yes. Symbiote was coined specifically for the spider-man characters and only much later became a synonym for the real world symbiont.

So the Spider-Man pronunciations are the only pronunciations that matter.

Silver Swift
2018-05-04, 10:41 AM
I've also always pronounced it sim-bee-ought, but I pronounce all the related words sim-bye-whatever. It's probably the influence of the 90's spiderman cartoon.

ben-zayb
2018-05-04, 11:35 AM
Yes. Symbiote was coined specifically for the spider-man characters and only much later became a synonym for the real world symbiont.

So the Spider-Man pronunciations are the only pronunciations that matter.

Again, are you referring to actual scans or editor/author notes on the pronunciation, or just basing it on another adaptation. Because if so, this movie is also an adaptation, which IMO makes it equally as valid if not more so (as a possible correction) than the old one's "interpretation" on how the word should be pronounced

Velaryon
2018-05-06, 04:26 PM
Huh, that's weird. I've almost always only heard good things about him. Care to elaborate?

Sure.

I know and loathe Tom Hardy primarily for his performances in The Dark Knight Rises and Mad Max: Fury Road. He was okay in The Revenant I suppose, but he wasn't what made that film good either. And apparently he was Inception, though I don't remember the film well enough to recall his role in it.

In TDKR he played a whitewashed version of Bane, who's a big deal because he breaks Batman's back and puts him out action for awhile. Bane has never been one of my favorite Bat-villains, but the character is Hispanic and should have been cast accordingly. Worse yet, Hardy's version of Bane sounds like Sean Connery with a chest cold, which makes him really difficult to take seriously.

Then in Fury Road, he plays a far less interesting version of Mel Gibson's Mad Max character. His presence contributes very little to the film (honestly they should have left him out entirely and just called the movie Furiosa). And when he IS doing something, he mumbles most of his lines.

So basically, of the 4 roles in which I've seen Tom Hardy, he's been terrible twice, okay once, and so completely forgettable in the fourth film that I can't even remember his character. Hardly the person I would choose for the first solo Venom film. Although even I will admit he's a better cast than Topher Grace was... not that the bar is set very high there.

Kato
2018-05-07, 02:34 AM
Sure.

I know and loathe Tom Hardy primarily for his performances in The Dark Knight Rises and Mad Max: Fury Road. He was okay in The Revenant I suppose, but he wasn't what made that film good either. And apparently he was Inception, though I don't remember the film well enough to recall his role in it.

So, not that I have any stakes in this - clearly you can loathe whoever you choose - but..
Out of his fifty or so roles your opinion about him is based on four. Among those one where he had an unremarkable role (I can't say I can remember anyone but Dicaprio, Watanabe and maybe Page either), one role he maybe should not have taken but in the end maybe you should blame whichever casting director didn't care about Bane's ethnicity (I wouldn't say I thought Bane was great but then I'm not a huge fan of the Nolan movies in general) and finally one where you don't complain about his performance but about the role of the character in the movie.
So.. I'm not saying these complaints aren't valid but they seem more a criticism of the movies he's in than his acting ability. And loathe seems like a strong emotion for that.

But concerning the more important pronunciation debate.. As a non-native, I feel like I somehow learned to pronounce symbiosis with the "eye" sound but symbiote (probably due to some Spiderman cartoon) with the "ee". I never thought about it... I guess neither is wrong but it's one of these cases where I feel there should be one or the other.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-05-07, 11:21 AM
For something like this, I'd guess the better movie to look at for Tom Hardy's qualifications would be Legend.