PDA

View Full Version : Team Sharpclub

Warchon
2018-04-25, 07:21 AM
This is just for fun.

After reading an apparently famous tumblr post called Garg and Moonslicer (an Ogre gets ahold of a talking sword that gradually twists him into a paragon of selflessness) it occurred to me that this is a completely viable character concept using Intelligent Item Ego.

It got me wondering how far we could go. Can we build a full party out of this concept?

It's easy to make a berserker with a garbage Will save, but can we build a powerful necromancer who is somehow helpless to rid himself of his domineering angelic Familiar?

Can we engineer a cleric of an evil God who doesn't lose all his class features in the process of saving the world?

To keep things interesting, and avoid the easy solutions like "Give the magic sword 50 abilities so it has an insurmountable Ego score" let's shoot for no custom rules/equipment, level-appropriate items, and a character that stays both viable and at the mercy of their "curse" at both low and high level.

Basically we're doing a less contrived version of Suicide Squad I guess.

I'm curious to see what you all come up with!

Since this isn't for a specific campaign, I say feel free to mix and match rules from whatever systems are reasonably compatible.

Inevitability
2018-04-25, 10:17 AM
Can we engineer a cleric of an evil God who doesn't lose all his class features in the process of saving the world?

This one's easy: Heretic of the Faith. You could have a Good cleric of an Evil god this way, who may even think he's evil. I imagine such a character would have to do tons of Good stuff for Evil reasons, but that's hardly impossible.

Goaty14
2018-04-25, 12:36 PM
This one's easy: Heretic of the Faith. You could have a Good cleric of an Evil god this way, who may even think he's evil. I imagine such a character would have to do tons of Good stuff for Evil reasons, but that's hardly impossible.

I'm pretty sure this is how ebberron works. I saw an example of a cleric of the silver flame that was LE.

Inevitability
2018-04-25, 01:16 PM
I'm pretty sure this is how ebberron works. I saw an example of a cleric of the silver flame that was LE.

In Eberron clerics don't have to retain the alignment prescribed by their deities. That presumably means you still start out within one step, but you can over time move to literally any other alignment without losing spells.

Venger
2018-04-26, 05:16 AM
In Eberron clerics don't have to retain the alignment prescribed by their deities. That presumably means you still start out within one step, but you can over time move to literally any other alignment without losing spells.

Nah, people of any alignment can do whatever they want. You don't need to start out as within 1 step on the grid like in non-eberron settings. p 35, eberron campaign setting

I assume you're referring to High Cardinal Krozen. He's always been like that, he didn't have to start good and "turn evil"

ShurikVch
2018-04-28, 04:46 PM
Can we engineer a cleric of an evil God who doesn't lose all his class features in the process of saving the world?Note: being an evil deity and NOT wishing to end the world isn't mutually exclusive: LE deity wouldn't want destruction of his realm and subjects; and non-Lawful patron may be annoyed by actions of rival, or just enjoy all that violence which will happen during a saving that world

Besides that, look at this thing from the AD&D Blades:
Daemon Firebee's Blade (Long Dagger of Morphing)
<Del Wright: [email protected]>
Type: Cursed dagger +X (DMs discretion for magical bonuses)
INT: none
Ego: none
Alignment: Evil (any)
Communication: none
Primary powers:
Slowly polymorphs wielder into evil monster of the DMs choice, disguising the transformation by convincing the character that the changes are normal or a reward for noble deeds.
Blade grants bonuses to hit and damage as decided by DM, but blade forces wielder to attack good creatures, masking them in an illusion of some evil creature known to the character, as well as masking evil creatures in an illusion of a good creature.Now, just switch all the Evil and Good stuff... :smallwink:

Inevitability
2018-04-29, 02:53 PM
Besides that, look at this thing from the AD&D Blades:Now, just switch all the Evil and Good stuff... :smallwink:

I love this idea and am so going to play it sometime.

"Why hello there, murderous worgs! Would you happen to know where the pack of blink dogs I was going to kill has gone?"

"Die, you innocent orphans!"
"That's right, just ignore the fact that those orphans fight just like wicked bandits! Oh look, that one's still alive!"

"Hey swordy, why did I wake up with angel wings this morning?"
"They're the cursed wings of an erinyes, a mark of your allegiance to evil!"

Warchon
2018-04-29, 04:44 PM
I love this idea and am so going to play it sometime.

"Why hello there, murderous worgs! Would you happen to know where the pack of blink dogs I was going to kill has gone?"

"Die, you innocent orphans!"
"That's right, just ignore the fact that those orphans fight just like wicked bandits! Oh look, that one's still alive!"

"Hey swordy, why did I wake up with angel wings this morning?"
"They're the cursed wings of an erinyes, a mark of your allegiance to evil!"

Love this. You are officially invited to be the Team Sharpclub rogue.