PDA

View Full Version : Using tidal wave to boost damage?

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-04-25, 08:46 AM
I recently made an eldritch knight and he has the spell tidal wave and the charger feat. What I planned to do is in his first round of combat is to summon the tidal wave and ride it (he has a swim speed) toward the enemy/s and use action surge to attack them with the full force of the wave to back him dealing the 4d8 from the wave and 2d6 the weapon. Does the wave give a boost to damage or not? Also does the charger feat apply to this and give me the +5 to damage. Then they if they fail the save and get pushed away I can make an opportunity attack. any problems with this that I overlooked?

Unoriginal
2018-04-25, 08:57 AM
The Tidal Wave only exists for an instant, definitively not long enough for you to swim in it. Plus if you were in the Wave's area, you'd have to do the DEX save and take damage too.

Also, it doesn't push people away, it knock them prone, and even if it did push them you can't use an AoO against an enemy that's pushed away (unless the specific ability precises it).

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-04-25, 09:05 AM
So your saying that it doesn't last long enough to push me? Form the description it sounds like it appears hits and then disperses. i assume that it would last long enough to hit and push me.

JackPhoenix
2018-04-25, 09:22 AM
So your saying that it doesn't last long enough to push me? Form the description it sounds like it appears hits and then disperses. i assume that it would last long enough to hit and push me.

Yes. It would push you... prone, that is. Tidal Wave doesn't move creatures.

Unoriginal
2018-04-25, 09:23 AM

It would appears long enough to hit you, deal 4d6 damages to you, halved if you pass the save, and knock you prone if you failed the save, then disperse and disappear, without you having the time to move at all during this (let alone inside the Wave itself).

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-04-25, 09:26 AM
Are there any spells that would propel a character forward. Sorcerer spells.

Ventruenox
2018-04-25, 09:41 AM
The Gust cantrip can push you 5' if you willingly fail the STR save. Control Winds would let you jump 10' higher with the updraft usage.

strangebloke
2018-04-25, 09:44 AM
Rule of cool, do it, and figure it out with your DM whether it's allowable or not.

By RAW? No, not at all.

nickl_2000
2018-04-25, 09:44 AM
The Gust cantrip can push you 5' if you willingly fail the STR save. Control Winds would let you jump 10' higher with the updraft usage.

Gust actually doesn't work RAW

One Medium or smaller creature that you choose must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be pushed up to 5 feet away from you.

I would allow it personally if someone wanted to use it, but RAW looks like no.

Ventruenox
2018-04-25, 10:03 AM
Good catch. I overlooked the "from you" wording. You can't push yourself away from yourself.