PDA

View Full Version : Any games for me?

emilm
2007-09-03, 04:24 PM
I've been playing tibia, WoW and a bunch of internetstrategy-games.
I now kinda feel ready to moce on to some challenging RPG-game, I like what i've seen in order of the stick and erfworld, could anybody give me a link or a name on some games like that?
Thanks.

Kizara
2007-09-03, 04:34 PM
One, this is the wrong section. You want:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51
that section.

For another, if you want an RPG 'game' I suggest you pick up Final Fantasy 12 (XII).

Finally, I don't mean to be rude, but generally games like WoW don't have much actual 'roleplaying' and are more like Diablo 2 but with better graphics and more but less sensible plot (you kill the rats, you go back and they respawn, thus you actually accomplished nothing plot-wise; farming instances has no plot or RP-value at all, etc).

Now, this is just my opinion and assumption, and perhaps your WoW experience was/is far different then mine. The reason why I bring this up is because your previous experience in what is described as an "RPG" game may lead you to have vastly different expectations to what most people look for in a roleplaying game, such as a PbP DnD game. This would lead to your dissapointment/frustration at the style of play as well as possible conflict between you and others in the game.

As for getting into DnD, I suggest you pick up a players handbook and read it over, as well as talk to the operators of your local hobby/gamming stores and ask if they have any local groups or lists/directories for groups.

Anxe
2007-09-03, 04:53 PM
You could get Oblivion that's a good RPG that can be challenging if you crank the difficulty up.

Spiryt
2007-09-03, 05:31 PM
I'm confused. You mean you whant some good computer RGS or you want to try actual pen and paper game?

Kurald Galain
2007-09-04, 02:51 AM
I now kinda feel ready to moce on to some challenging RPG-game,

If you truly want a challenge, try NetHack (http://nethack.org/). It may or may not be your "thing", but it's freeware so why not give it a try? It is certainly challenging, and possibly addictive.

Xuincherguixe
2007-09-04, 05:04 AM
incursion (http://www.incursion-roguelike.net/) is insanely fun too.

It's "not quite" 3.5. Me I haven't been able to get too far ever.

OCB_Aldren
2007-09-04, 05:17 AM
Well as far as computer rpg games go. I am pretty excited for Age of Conan which should be coming out in the next month or two. You can do a google search for the site, as I don't know if posting links to other sites like that is legal.

As far as pen and paper, I have not tried any of the forum rpgs here. I love forum RPGs to death, but being in the military makes it hard to to be a regular player, and I tend to have to leave before the end.. so I just don't join them anymore :(

AslanCross
2007-09-04, 05:39 AM
Order of the Stick is heavily based off Dungeons & Dragons. If you want to go pen and paper, D&D is pretty fun. Just that you need at least two players for it (a Dungeon Master and an actual player).

For a CRPG, I suggest D&D-based ones such as the Baldur's Gate series (I, II, and Throne of Bhaal). Neverwinter Nights I and II are also D&D-based, though they use more recent rulesets. Baldur's Gate II is arguably the best of the lot, and the computer takes away most of the burden of crunching through 2nd edition D&D rules from you. The BG series is rather dated though, so no flashy graphics there.

emilm
2007-09-04, 01:22 PM
Thanks to all.
I want to play a game looking like erfworld, ive been playing some but for different reasons I haven't been able too keep it up at those times.
Would also love any (prefereably online) good RPGgame.
I wont play Oblivion tho:smallbiggrin:

Kizara
2007-09-04, 01:38 PM
Try Heros of Might and Magic 3 and 5.

They are 'somewhat' Erfy. They have some RP elements, but are basically strategy games that revolve around 'stacks' of units and heros.

Morty
2007-09-04, 01:45 PM
You could get Oblivion that's a good RPG that can be challenging if you crank the difficulty up.

Oblivion. Isn't. An. RPG. :smallannoyed: *twitch*

As for Erf-like games: beside Heroes there're Age of Wonders games that are preety good too.

Winterwind
2007-09-04, 01:54 PM
You could also try Battle for Wesnoth (http://www.wesnoth.org/) - hex-based turn-based strategy game in a fantasy setting, I find it's quite similar to Erfworld in many manners. And it's downloadable for free.

As for RPGs, the Order of the Stick is based on Dungeons & Dragons, a pen&paper roleplaying game. And no computer RPG can even hope to come close to what a p&p RPG is; not even those based on actual p&p RPGs. I would actually go as far as to say that there are no computer RPGs worthy of being called roleplaying games, since they do not actually have roleplaying. So the question is now, when you say you are interested in a RPG, what is it that you are looking for? If it is something similar to what OotS is, and what most people around here will probably think of when you say "roleplaying game", your best shot will likely be the play-by-post games on the forums here (though finding an actual roleplaying group and playing it in real life would probably be infinitely more satisfying). On the other hand, if you're looking more for what computer RPGs are, people have mentioned a few good ones already.

Elanorea
2007-09-04, 02:03 PM
I concur with anyone who suggested Baldur's Gate; awesome games, they are. I personally prefer the Shadows of Amn to the first one, but they're all good. Though I also have to agree with Winterwind that no computer game can truly compare to a real pen&paper RPG. While the game creators try to account for any choices a player might make in a particular situation, it simply isn't possible to attain the sort of versatility you can get from a real DM.

Spiryt
2007-09-04, 02:10 PM
The BG series is rather dated though, so no flashy graphics there.

So what? Graph is great in Baldurs Gate II. All locations have great climate. Spells effects were so simple and yet so suggestive.
I hated graphic of Neverwinter I (example how 3D shouldn't be made)

Anyway from computer games Baldurs Gate II + Throne of Baal is obvious choice.

Also, Planescape Torment. That game just hit hard.