PDA

View Full Version : clothes you actually wear

reorith
2007-09-03, 04:27 PM
inspired by this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55553) that was inspired by this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55329), what do you typically wear? do you often wear similar things? do you dress conservatively? what is the environment you typically dress for like high school, college, the work place etc. i'm curious as to what is in in the playground for fall '07.

Sewer_Bandito
2007-09-03, 04:36 PM
My style consists of:

Dickies, or random shorts that are found at Target, or jeans/long kahkies for the winter.

Random band shirts found on e-bay, superhero shirts, or a random shirt I picked up on a vacation. For the winter, I usually just put on a long sleeve shirt, and then a t shirt, or I wear a hoodie.

13_CBS
2007-09-03, 04:39 PM
At home: No matter the weather, always a muscle shirt + short pjs. Very, very comfortable.

At school: Always a collared shirt and some kind of semi-formal pants (khakis, cargo pants, jeans...basically pants that aren't made of plastic or are not sweat pants). Since this is our dress code, there's not much choice...

Outside, not at school: during the summer, short sleeves + short semi formal pants as above. I usually wear school clothes outside since they're comfortable and not too formal. Oh, and sandals. I always try to wear sandals if possible.

Formal wear: Long collared shirt, Long pants. Colors may vary.

Yes, I dress simply.

Ashtar
2007-09-03, 04:43 PM
I've got several italian tailored suits (with a black pinstripe being my favourite), shirts and ties for work.

But the rest of the time, I wear T-shirts and jeans or cargo pants.

Jack Squat
2007-09-03, 04:54 PM
Well, what better way to illustrate what I wear than a spur of the moment pic?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e378/jacksquat3/Me.jpg

However, I may have a different hat, non-torn shorts, pants, or any variety of color and style t-shirt and overshirt.

reorith
2007-09-03, 05:02 PM
Well, what better way to illustrate what I wear than a spur of the moment pic? However, I may have a different hat, non-torn shorts, pants, or any variety of color and style t-shirt and overshirt.

dude that just makes your avatar that much cooler.

Jack Squat
2007-09-03, 05:28 PM
If you want to see the inspiration for my avatar, check out the You thread. It's somewhere in the index...

zeratul
2007-09-03, 05:38 PM
Black T-shirts endorsing various nerdy things, cargo's, and jeans. Lots of Black.

I am also frequently seen with my trench coat in october, winter, and spring. I am buying combat boots, which I will probably wear a lot.

Da Beast
2007-09-03, 05:42 PM
A t shirt with out any big logos on it and shorts. When its cold a plain hoody with jeans. I like to keep it simple.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-03, 05:50 PM
I tend to wear soccer shorts and a t-shirt, often with a hawaiin overshirt, pretty much year round any place I can. Usually wear a sweatband if outside.

If I have to wear longer stuff I just go straight to cotton dress pants. I detest jeans with a passion. I can never find any that fit correctly, either too big or too small, too short or too long, and nor can I move properly in them.

However, I don't chill easy, so I just put on a jacket if it's below freezing and usually thats it.

I go for range of movement in my clothes. If I can't bend over and touch my toes while wearing it I'm not gonna.

Samiam303
2007-09-03, 05:54 PM
I pretty much never wear anything but Jeans and various band T-Shirts that I've picked up at shows. Unless there's a need to be more formal, that's it all the time.

potatocubed
2007-09-03, 06:03 PM
A t-shirt, either from threadless.com or an OotS shirt.
Cargo pants. Pockets FTW.
Boots.

If it's chilly I wear an open shirt over the top. If it's cold I wear a lumberjack shirt either over the shirt or instead of it. If it's really cold and/or heaving down with rain I wear my long leather coat.

Colours are usually black, beige, dark red or camo green, except for my t-shirts, which run the gamut of colours from lemon yellow to royal blue.

There's no dress code where I work, so it's always something like that.

Rykaj
2007-09-03, 06:10 PM
Pretty much anything. And I'm a guy who actually likes to shop for clothes so I have some to choose from.

I've got jeans from light to dark, linen leggings ranging in color. Some shorts. Shirts, button shirts, polo shirts, sweaters, vests, hoodies and what not, name it and I have it and wear it.

I only avoid the colors black, purple and brown. Even though I do have black shirts... I just don't like them very much, they fade in laundry and make you look sad (except when dressing up of course). My favorite colors to wear are probably shades of blue and yellow.

FdL
T-shirts with no logos or drawings, both long and short sleeves. Also a lot of polos, of both varieties and some nice not-too-formal shirts.

For winter a lot of polar fleece sweaters, the ones with a high neck that can be opened with a zipper and then brought down, woolen pullovers and some cotton sweaters (which I'm trying not to use because they're awful and nobody likes to see me in them, with reason).

For pants it's jeans and corduroy pants which are great for winter. For summer I have some thin fabric pants. I don't wear shorts much out of leisure time.

For my feet it's shoes, but mainly non-sport sneakers in light brown or light gray colors.

Saithis Bladewing
Usually dress more conservatively, as in, I prefer to have most of my skin covered. Jeans, skirts, some T-shirts (most with funny sayings, unfortunately most are also male), long-sleeved tops and a couple of sweaters. If it's cold or looks like rain I'll put my coat on.

adanedhel9
2007-09-03, 06:11 PM
During the work week, year round, typically slacks (blue jeans every once in a while) and a polo.

Weekends and other days off, t-shirts (occasionally long-sleeved in the colder months) and either khaki shorts or blue jeans, depending on the weather. My t-shirts are usually either monotone or have small logos.

Dihan
2007-09-03, 06:12 PM
Jeans all the time, preferably straight or slim, 28 inch waist is a snug fit.

In the summer: a red or black t-shirt with various differing patterns or emblems on and the aformentioned jeans, a studded belt purely for decoration.
In the winter: a t-shirt or a long sleeved t-shirt, with my black zip-up hoodie on, with jeans of course, my studded belt also worn here for the same reason as in the summer.

My school uniform: Black school polo shirt, black generic jumper - due to my hatred of polo shirts it's worn all year round -, black trousers this time with a thin black belt, black socks, black shoes.

Footwear: Mainly different coloured converses, UK size 9s.

Ceres
2007-09-03, 06:12 PM
Hmm... I wear a lot of things, but I guess these are some of the more common:

Classic converse shoes, boot-cut pants, geeky t-shirts, round sunglasses, black socks, boxerbriefs, some kind of hat and my koss porta pro :smallsmile:

Usually earthtones, dark blue or black.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-09-03, 06:13 PM
Always all black. Black jeans or slacks, a pair of black steel-toe boots or dress shoes, a black t-shirt or black dress-shirt and now and then a black coat of some kind. That's basically what my wardrobe has looked like since the 8th grade.

StickMan
2007-09-03, 06:18 PM
I just got 3 fedoras in different colors that I really like, they actually match my odd shaped head. I've been thinking about getting my Avatars hat changed to a green Fedora but LadyOfTheStick thinks that would just look odd. Have to do what the girlfriend says... I'm not whiped who said that.

Other than that I'm just a plain t-shirt and pants kind of guy.

MandibleBones
2007-09-03, 06:18 PM
Khaki pants or shorts with t-shirts and comfortable shoes, or t-shirts and boardshorts with sandals (a Californian at heart). Occassionally I'll exchange the t-shirts for something with a coller, if the situation suits.

Oh, and battle dress uniform to work. Can't forget that.

Orzel
2007-09-03, 06:20 PM
Warm

T-shirt Denim Sneakers
Polo Jeans Sneakers
Wife Beater Shorts Sneakers

Cold

Hoodies Jeans Tims
Sweater Jeans Tims

Impress

Button up Slacks/jeans Tims/Shoes
Zip Hoodies T-shirt Jeans Sneakers Chain Earrings Shades

Church

Shirt Slacks Shoes
Suit (NonB&W) Tie Shoes

NOTE: I DON'T PICK OUT MY CLOTHES. I take my girlfriend/female cousins to the store and say "make me sexier". If they are not available, female associates at the store will do. Saves time and is fun. "No, I don't need help from you but she can help me. Excuse me Miss, I need to look very sexy and may need your assistance. Can you aid me?" I'm too lazy and indecisive in clothing stores.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-03, 06:23 PM
Always all black. Black jeans or slacks, a pair of black steel-toe boots or dress shoes, a black t-shirt or black dress-shirt and now and then a black coat of some kind. That's basically what my wardrobe has looked like since the 8th grade.
*COUGH*GOTH*AHEM*

rubakhin
2007-09-03, 06:23 PM
I don't have a lot of clothes. I own four or five white dress shirts. I usually wear them with the sleeves rolled up, and often with one of my vests. Then I have two pairs of black slacks, a few black jeans, and one or two pairs of regular jeans. That's my entire wardrobe right there, excepting a few miscellaneous T-shirts. And then I'm stomping around barefoot with a cigarette hanging off my lip and a pencil behind my ear. I look very much like the disheveled poet I am. Like I just got back from a bar brawl in 19th century Paris or something.

I don't have too many of them, but I also like hats. Bowlers, fedoras.

zeratul
2007-09-03, 06:45 PM
*COUGH*GOTH*AHEM*

Heh, we're all around you tribble, you cannot escape us :smallamused: .

Hoggy
2007-09-03, 06:59 PM
Any combination of boxers/shorts/jeans/t-shirt/shirt/hoody/jacket/socks. If I'm feeling particulariyl daring I skimp on the boxers.

Whoracle
2007-09-03, 07:02 PM
Black leather pants, random bandshirt or sometimes slimfit noprint, all black, rangers. Sometimes, when it's really hot, a kilt.

Alternate outfit:
torn linen pants, no shirt, a pair of those damn tight climbing shoes.

And no, NOT goth :D

More on the metallic side of music...

Spiryt
2007-09-03, 07:05 PM
Currently I'm wearing black shirt and completly worn-out brown cotton trouses (knee lenght).

When it's cold I wear even more worn out sweater or black puma blouse.
. If it's winter or really cold anytime long trousers and Campus winter jacket.

Black adidas gore-texes, similar to those (http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gBXN-MZaL._SS120_.jpg) all year :smallbiggrin:

Hoggy
2007-09-03, 07:06 PM
Oh yeah, I more or less meant band shirts when I said t-shirts.

And not to derail thread, but does ^^ like In Flames, perchance? :smallamused:

Spiryt
2007-09-03, 07:15 PM
And not to derail thread, but does ^^ like In Flames, perchance? :smallamused:

Well if it's bout me, I prefer Dark Tranquillity and Hammerfall from Swedish bands. Although In Flames is also cool.

But I don't know... Are they somehow specially connected with worn out cotton pants? :smallamused:

Lemur
2007-09-03, 07:58 PM
Solid color T-shirts, usually a dark color shade or black. Khaki or cargo pants. I have a few Don Hertzfeldt shirts, as well as a Kagerou shirt and a Life of Riley shirt (the one that Gore wears. Anyone actually remember that comic?) that I also wear occasionally. Pretty simple.

For shoes, I have a pair of black tennis-type shoes, and a pair of sandals. Whenever possible, I wear the sandals, just to avoid tying my shoes.

I would like to incorporate some sort of casual jacket that I don't have to take off inside, since I don't really go for long sleeves or sweatshirts so much. I'm also starting to consider things like bandanas and even turbans more and more just to contain the keratin strands draped across my back, since my hair can get in the way even with a ponytail, and there's excess heat buildup in the back of my neck, especially during warm weather.

Oh yeah, environment for this is college.

Logic
2007-09-03, 08:00 PM
I wear alot of < that kind of stuff.

Hoggy
2007-09-03, 08:17 PM
Well if it's bout me, I prefer Dark Tranquillity and Hammerfall from Swedish bands. Although In Flames is also cool.

But I don't know... Are they somehow specially connected with worn out cotton pants? :smallamused:

It was kinda sorta aimed at Whoracle, but you'll do. :smalltongue:

Yiel
2007-09-03, 08:25 PM
I pretty much live in skirts and t-shirts (many of them belonging to my partner). I also love jeans, but usually wear dresses over them. I would not claim to be fashionable, but comfortable. I was a Vicky-goth for several years and after all those corsets and pinching shoes... (and sleeping in curlers OMG the stupidest thing)

I am all for comfortable shoes like low-heel boots, ballet flats and mary-janes. Except of course if the chance comes along to wear a nice pair of heels. I have a bit of a shoe problem. *vainly gestures to piles of high heels spilling out of the closet*

I still have a couple of corsets, but they only come out on special occasions and I don't have them strung as tightly as I used to. I am well practiced in tightening other people's corsets and my girlfriends have learnt NOT to say "as tightly as you can." :smallbiggrin:

ZombieRockStar
2007-09-03, 08:42 PM
I'm back and forth between grunge and slightly less grunge. Jeans, not caring whether they have gigantic holes at the knees or not (the ones that do are actually my favourite pair), some t-shirt of random origin (my favourite would be my Doors one), and some sort of overshirt, either an unbuttoned dress shirt (my favourite one is pink!) or flannel or the one combat jacket I picked up at army surplus...sometimes I'll wear that over another flannel to create that double effect. I have the occasional piece that is slightly more fashionable that I'll wear on occasion. Maybe a hoodie. My kind of beat-up walking shoes.

Jewellery is minimal. Sometimes some sort of pendant/necklace, but otherwise only a ring or two (one's a claddaugh).

Note that this is usually acquired at the local second-hand/thrift store known to Canadians as Value Village.

Gaelbert
2007-09-03, 08:49 PM
To school I always wear shorts, usually plaid, with some kind of skating brand t-shirt. Quiksilver, Element, that stuff, with the occasional Famous thrown in. I also wear a lot of Billabong stuff.I have a worn pair of black vans I wear a lot. Sometimes I wear some "preppy" collared striped polos from American Eagle, or just a regular shirt from there. I wear a lot of brownish colors. Basically, I mix and match brands and styles until I find something I like.

zeratul
2007-09-03, 09:17 PM
Ah Zombie's got the word for my second style. I mainly alternate between grunge, and goth.

FdL
2007-09-03, 09:47 PM
I pretty much live in skirts and t-shirts (many of them belonging to my partner). I also love jeans, but usually wear dresses over them. I would not claim to be fashionable, but comfortable. I was a Vicky-goth for several years and after all those corsets and pinching shoes... (and sleeping in curlers OMG the stupidest thing)

(...)

I still have a couple of corsets, but they only come out on special occasions and I don't have them strung as tightly as I used to. I am well practiced in tightening other people's corsets and my girlfriends have learnt NOT to say "as tightly as you can." :smallbiggrin:

Cool! I see that you still have some fashion influence from your v-goth days. That's always interesting. Only that a full goth is sometimes a bit too much. Small touches can get you further, IMHO.

Also...Dresses over jeans :S Not my cup of tea, but I guess some people can pull it off successfully. I won't hold it against you, though, you seem to be a very cool dresser in general ;)

heretic
2007-09-03, 10:07 PM
T-shirts and jeans. And sweatshirts and shorts. Of random neutral colors, with sweatshirts more likely to be black and T-shirts more likely to be grey.

I tend to never buy clothing, so what I have is mostly stuff my parents get from when they travel. I recently noticed a T-shirt of mine that I had never read the print on was endorsing Longboarding, which I don't do. It made me feel like quite the poser.

Serpentine
2007-09-03, 10:33 PM
I'm still working on my style, so various of my items will go together at different times. I'm working on the whole layering thing. I don't like wearing the same thing too often, though obviously there are some things I wear more than others. Anyway...
*ahem*
Footwear
Socks: Drug company, longer-than-ankle (including some with flying pigs, puppies and handbags on them), over-the knee (black, black and white striped, black and red striped, very dark blue/black with a purple and a green vertical stripe), thigh-length stockings.
Shoes: Purple boots (yay!), black knee-length zip-up boots, brown fuzzy knee-length boots, skin-tight faux-snakeskin boots, red joggers, black strappy shoes, brown sandals, grey sandshoes.

Legwear
Undergarments: stockings (thick black, blue and black striped), thermal underwear.
Pants: Light and dark jeans, black (one worn-out, one too big), cargo pants, tracksuit pants, purple, purple shiny (too small), and a few others that I rarely wear due to size or other problem.
Skirts: Various. Long sensible tan, knee-length green-and-floral, long black, brown and twirly, brown and floaty and seethrough in the right light (torn :smallfrown:), knee-length denim, knee-length faux-snakeskin, sarong, grey twisty, and reddish-purple knee-length, to name a mere few. Again, some smaller ones go unworn.

Top-wear
Very various.
Cool: Couple of boring tshirts, red and black Emily the Strange shirt, green floral singlet, floaty reddish thing, all-lace blue... um... lots.
Warm: Skivvies, stockingy material, black with white embroidery, a bunch of others that aren't interesting enough to remember/describe.
Jumpers: A must in Armidale.
Dresses: Little blue, Chinesish blue velvety (long-sleeve, high neck, very short skirt), purple-grey medievally, black woolen, extremely long red, white and black that belonged to my grandmother.

Over-wear and accessories
Jackets: Long red raincoat (Carmen SanDiego-style), longish red scale-textured vinyl, black vinyl, black leather, denim (don't where them so much any more), long warm tan, big heavy green (practical only), warm grey (fantastic for keeping the wind out).
Jewelry: Mostly silver. A number of various pendants - mostly fantasy things or animals - a few beady ones, a couple of hoop bracelets, snake, dragon, star and amber rings. No earrings.

My sister, who has/had an entire bedroom devoted to her clothing collection, has been trying to cut back, so I've recently acquired a number of her items.

Annnnnnnnd that's me probably done for the whole thread, so no more boring you all :smallsmile:

whitedog20
2007-09-03, 10:39 PM
nothing, thats right, i don' t wear anything. :smalleek: well, maybe the occasional thong...but other than that, nothing.:smallwink:

oh wait, thats right, sometimes i wear chuck norris joke clothes :smallbiggrin: awsome huh?

reorith
2007-09-04, 12:27 AM
nothing, thats right, i don' t wear anything. :smalleek: well, maybe the occasional thong...but other than that, nothing.:smallwink:

oh wait, thats right, sometimes i wear chuck norris joke clothes :smallbiggrin: awsome huh?

do you have the "wwcnd?" t-shirt?

Brickwall
2007-09-04, 12:53 AM
Dear gods I've created a monster fad :smalleek: :smalltongue:

Okay, I mostly wear the following:
One t-shirt which is either plain or is funny
Shorts or jeans (weather dependant)
Sandals (not flip-flops) or sneakers (weather dependant)

That's my everyday wear. Obviously, not every day is everyday :smallbiggrin:

T'ze'hai
2007-09-04, 04:37 AM
I wear lots of black and brown and grey.
At work (government) I try to be representable (long pants or skirt, simple shirt and/or blouse) and I sometimes have to go formal (dress pants, blouse, suit jacket).
I ussualy wear sneakers, and for formal I have low open shoes and high boots.

In the weekend (starting on friday) I can wear more goofy shirts, and out-of-the-ordinairy coloured pants (like purple :smallbiggrin: ).

If I work at our local zoo (as a volunteer for education) I have to wear their clothing: green shirt and/or long sleeve and/or jacket with logo, and non-descript pants and shoes.

Ikkitosen
2007-09-04, 05:00 AM
I'm at work right now, and I have no meetings, so I'm wearing a mustard Firetrap t-shirt, dark blue damaged jeans with a black, airline seatbelt clasp belt and black Converse lo-tops.

For meetings I tend to go with a black or charcoal suit, simple fitted shirt and a tasteful but understated tie, plus black slip on leather shoes. Suits can work for gigs and such too, but then I wear a white shirt and skinny black tie, plus the aforementioned black lo-tops.

What I'm wearing right now is a pretty good representation of what I wear normally, although I like my combats too (Americans would call the cargo pants).

Darkforge
2007-09-04, 05:55 AM
Cargo pants. Pockets FTW.

I agree so much, pockets are soo necessary

I'm always wearing cargo pants/combats, a t-shirt (from various webcomics or with amusing slogans), sometimes i wear a bandanna and I have a few hoodys for if it is cold.

at work though its shirt + tie with smart trousers :smallfrown:
stupid office work

oh, and i do not own a single item made of denim, that scared my g/f when she found out!

AslanCross
2007-09-04, 06:14 AM
I usually wear either a short-sleeved shirt (t or buttoned) with cargo pants. I love pockets. The pair I have now has a small built-in belt bag with even more pockets. It's attached to the back by default but I attached it to the side for easy access.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-09-04, 06:21 AM
Black tops, jeans, converse shoes (the classic ones, black/white, all black or red, long before that stupid new american fashion made them trendy again).

I have some t-shirts of bands (some of them I exchange with my boyfriend), t-shirts with stamps I make on my own,etc.

In "special" occasions I am dressed in all black, (black top with black skirt, black dresses etc) but can't stand high heels. I think they shout 30-year-old-woman. I'm only 21 and I prefer to be dressed as simple as possible, with snickers and all that.

Another colour I love is dark violet (my hair is dark violet-red right now) , so I have some shirts of that colour and purple. (i love purple)

In summer, I like comfortable, dark green dresses and a more tribal/hippie style.
In winter, I'm a usual rock girl, as simple as possible.

Serpentine
2007-09-04, 06:33 AM
Rogue, did your English just get slightly worse suddenly? :smallconfused: It's still good, I'm just confused at the apparent change.

I missed my new dresses: one blue and green and floaty and stuff, and the other long and blue with green leaves and purple flowers and a neckline deep enough to make my mother hate it.

Tiffanie Lirle
2007-09-04, 06:50 AM
When I can, baggy khaki jeans and a short sleeved olive green t-shirt.
Or I'll just use a long dark blue shirt and shorts that cut off about 4 inches below the knee.

Nightgaunt
2007-09-04, 06:54 AM
This should sum it all up:

I try my damnedest to be the best dressed person in any given room on any given occasion. That goes for High-End Martini bar to Goth Club to Punk Rock show. Wherever I'm at I do my best to dress in-style for the venue but better then everyone else. If I'm 'feeling it' I will purposly dress counter-culture. That works well everywhere but Punk Shows, they always just think you're being ironic.

The motivation is Fashion is a hobby of mine so I own lots of damn clothes.

Suits for Hugo Boss (love the cut).
Jeans usually go Damage if possible, it's the only cut that feels right, and they last. Little costly though.
Grail shirts whenever possible, Guess will do as a bastard step-child.
Ralph Lauren Purple Collection if you want to go ultra upscale.
Adeline Street for some daily wear, Montegut and Etro for lounge wear.
Work wear is most Le Tigre or Ted Baker.
Not to mention the horde of accessories to go with it, especially rings and belts for some reason...

I love clothes the way most men feel about cars... and I'm straight.:smallbiggrin:

Castaras
2007-09-04, 07:01 AM
Jeans and T-shirt.

I sometimes wear other things...but mostly it's Jeans and T-shirt.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-09-04, 07:08 AM
Rogue, did your English just get slightly worse suddenly? :smallconfused: It's still good, I'm just confused at the apparent change.

Well, it's that I'm not English/American etc and I'm not used to talking about clothes and stuff.
So, my vocabulary may be poor/wrong :smallconfused:

It's not that easy, trying to speak in another language, y'know. :smallfrown:

Serpentine
2007-09-04, 07:31 AM
Oh no, I didn't mean to criticise. I mean, your English is far better than my... Arkenian? :smallwink: In fact, I don't think I've ever noticed before that English isn't your first language, which is why it caught me by surprise.
Nightgaunt, from the sounds of it, if I were to see you you'd probably be designated Interesting :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

I'm da Rogue!
2007-09-04, 07:55 AM
:smallsmile: It's alright, my arkenian sucks too, I'd be surprised if you knew a single word in arkenian. This city exists only in my fantasy, but you know what?
When you get out of that labyrinth, you can visit me in Arkenia! We'll have hot chocolate and cake and we'll discuss the arkenian fashion. It will be great!

Lolzords
2007-09-04, 07:58 AM
At school: Uniform. Grey jumper and green tie.

Home + out: Usually black jeans, band t-shirt and vans slip-ons.

Totally Guy
2007-09-04, 05:33 PM
I'm not used to talking about clothes and stuff.

It's not that easy, trying to speak in another language, y'know. :smallfrown:

Actually clothes are a really hard area to translate.

For example...

"I went to a party today so I wore pants with suspenders and a vest."

I'm guessing that would sound fairly normal to the Americans. I'm not one so I wouldn't know for sure.*

But to a Britton like myself it would be the funniest thing I'd have seen all day.

We'd say "Trousers with braces and a waitscoat",

hearing that line would mean to me "Underpants with a garter belt and an undershirt":smallbiggrin:

*(Even with an example I think works I'm still not certain whether I know the languge correctly.)

Ettlesby
2007-09-04, 05:45 PM
I typically wear collared shirts of random colors and either shorts or if the day is cold. I don't particularly CARE what I wear as long as I have clothes on, and collared shirts tend to be the most comfortable to me.

FdL
2007-09-04, 05:46 PM
I'm still working on my style, so various of my items will go together at different times. I'm working on the whole layering thing. I don't like wearing the same thing too often, though obviously there are some things I wear more than others. Anyway...
*ahem*

(...)

Annnnnnnnd that's me probably done for the whole thread, so no more boring you all :smallsmile:

Cool, you have a lot of unusual items. You seem to be the sort of person who has fun dressing. That is always good to see ^^

And maybe the style you're looking for, already found you have. ;)

LCR
2007-09-04, 05:50 PM
Footwear: Converse casuals, leather casuals, leather shoes, various sneakers, socks (obviously)

Legwear: Jeans, corduroy trousers

Topwear: Various shirts and T-Shirts (slim fit), I have a nice "The Who" t-shirt I'm especially fond of, leather jacket, corduroy sports jacket, other sports jackets (I guess I like those things), if necessary coats and scarfs

Eyewear: Glasses, obviously

FdL
2007-09-04, 05:52 PM
Actually clothes are a really hard area to translate.

For example...

"I went to a party today so I wore pants with suspenders and a vest."

I'm guessing that would sound fairly normal to the Americans. I'm not one so I wouldn't know for sure.*

But to a Britton like myself it would be the funniest thing I'd have seen all day.

We'd say "Trousers with braces and a waitscoat",

hearing that line would mean to me "Underpants with a garter belt and an undershirt":smallbiggrin:

*(Even with an example I think works I'm still not certain whether I know the languge correctly.)

Yup, it's like that. Great example too :p (I prefer your interpretation ;))

Even for speakers of the same language it can differ hugely, so think about what it is for those of us who speak other languages. I said it before, there's a lot to learn and that's part of my interest in these threads.

Also: on "speaking like a foreign person", do I overuse subject drop? I know in english it's used only in very informal talk, but for me it comes naturally here (it's not because I speak spanish and subject it's almost always dropped).

Don't know if you get what I mean <---example

Em Blackleaf
2007-09-04, 06:36 PM
I was wearing a pair of denim Capri pants, a long flowy-ish red, black, tan and white patterned shirt, and a white undershirt, so the flowy one wouldn't break dress-code.

My shoes were black flat slip-on shoes.

Normally, I'll wear a T-shirt and shorts, and if I'm feeling dressy, I'll wear a fancier T-shirt.

And those shoes are basically the only shoes I wear.

My pajamas are just shorts and a T-shirt.
Very simple.

zeratul
2007-09-04, 06:38 PM
Well fall is almost here. So my general outfit will involve my trench coat, combat boots, black jeans, jeans, or my corduroys. That and some kind of shirt, sometimes with or without the coat.

Serpentine
2007-09-05, 02:00 AM
:smallsmile: It's alright, my arkenian sucks too, I'd be surprised if you knew a single word in arkenian. This city exists only in my fantasy, but you know what?
When you get out of that labyrinth, you can visit me in Arkenia! We'll have hot chocolate and cake and we'll discuss the arkenian fashion. It will be great!
Yaaaay! I'll bring... um... jelly (disintigrate + gelatinous cube = jelly crystals: Best. Ruling. Ever. :smallamused:) and naga steaks!

There seem to be a lot of Converses around. They look good, but I've never worn them...

Alarra
2007-09-05, 02:50 AM
My usual varies slightly from summer to winter, as many people's do I imagine.

Warm weather:
periodically jean shorts, or khakis, but just regular jeans 90% of the time. Sandals....as long as weather will possibly allow it. They're generally brown and sorta clunky.
shirts: t-shirt or tank-top, usually with a long sleeve (rolled-up) button-up shirt open over it.
At work: Usually khakis and some sort of lighter, flimsier shirt...you know, the kind that are sorta silky feeling and dressier and have interesting patterns most of the time.

Cold Weather:
jeans. Socks (fun, and funky socks, usually....i have a lot of socks)
periodically a sweater....I have a ton of sweaters and will where them when it's likely to be cold, but I tend to get really warm if I'm inside all day in them.
long sleeve t-shirt...normally topped with the button-up shirts described above, periodically with a t-shirt over the long sleeve shirt instead.
At work: the same, only with khakis, and nicer shoes, and not the 2 t-shirt combination...usually nicer stuff.

I'm really big on matching, so my button-up shirts always coordinate really well with whatever I have on under it, and when I wear socks, they have to match perfectly too. I'm the type of person that has particular sets of socks that go with particular outfits. I can be a bit obsessive about matching.

As for accessories, I wear the same jewelry every day, and if I don't have my watch, necklace, 5 rings, and bracelet on, I have that annoying feeling like I'm missing something all day. Although I need a new bracelet, this one keeps falling off. I also wear a lot of scarves in my hair....which also, of course, match my outfit.

I have a lot of long, fun skirts too and wear skirts more often than most people I know.

Oh....and for jackets? When it's cool, but not cold, I generally fluctuate between a black jacket with tan lining, and a zip-up college sweatshirt hoodie, depending on the formality of the occasion. My winter coat (although I really wear light jackets most of the year) is black, leather, with a cream satin lining, and falls to about mid-thigh on me.

Destro_Yersul
2007-09-05, 03:37 AM
Work: Uniform. Consists of Uniform Golf Shirt, Visor, Black dress pants.

Hot weather: Shorts, T-shirt

Cold weather: Sweat Pants, T-shirt, Hat

Zaggab
2007-09-05, 06:42 AM
I usually wear socks, except in the summer.

Then I have jeans, except in the summer when I sometimes wear shorts.

On the upper body I wear slightly too large monocoloured t-shirts which are often washed-out. If it gets cold I add a thin sweater. When ii'm outside and it's cold (like during the winter) I wear a simple, cheap jacket.

That's it. I look as boring as I am!

T'ze'hai
2007-09-05, 09:24 AM
That's it. I look as boring as I am!

I think being dressed-up (suit an' all) is really boring. Mostly black or grey, WYSIWYG-style.

I think jeans and shirt are quite ok. Not boring.

Vuzzmop
2007-09-06, 03:26 PM
A Tee shirt with with a " Miso Honi Soup Kitchen: Where customer come first!" sign on it, airforce camo three quarter pants, and jandals signed by the voice of Batman in the Justice League cartoons. That, and my transition lenses that I got to look like a white version of Seraph in "The Matrix: Reloaded" But without the kung fu.

dr.cello
2007-09-06, 06:49 PM
In very warm weather, dark blue jeans (straight-legged) and a t-shirt. The t-shirt varies in design--I have a number from Scary-Go-Round (http://www.scarygoround.com) and a few from Questionable Content (http://www.questionablecontent.net), a couple of band T-shirts, and some other t-shirts I've acquired (including one that says I was on the crew of the Titanic).

If it's not too hot, I will wear a jacket. Usually pinstripes, but I've been known to wear leather or black denim, depending on the day. I like wearing a jacket because it doesn't feel like an affectation. When it's actually cold I tend to wear a black leather jacket with an off-white scarf, and black leather gloves.

All of my shoes are Converse all-stars. I have three pairs. On lazy days, a beat-up grey pair which my ex-girlfriend drew all over--they are the most emo pair of shoes ever. The others are green and black or monochrome black, high-tops.

I accessorize with 70's-style big sunglasses, because I lost my Aviators.