Archfey
Pact of the Blade
Strength-based melee weapons
Point-buy
Druid-ish background

How do I make him useful in combat?

Nettlekid
2018-04-26, 12:21 AM
Cast Hex and attack. What are you expecting?

You need to give a few more guidelines for "optimization" because as is, it's impossible to optimize this character. An "optimized" Warlock is not a Firbolg or Archfey Patron. Or Blade-pact without being a Hexblade. So what are you trying to do? What impact on the game do you want this character to have? From there we can give you better advice.

Lord8Ball
2018-04-26, 12:30 AM
Any stats we are going by or are we assuming point-buy?

Jake92
2018-04-26, 01:32 AM
Well I think a point buy for you is the standard array at 15 14 13 8 10 12 which gives you 16 14 13 8 12 12. You're very MAD since you aren't a hexblade, only have access to light armor, and would probably like to cast spells with a decent DC or attack mod later on. You'll want resilient (con) at some point (probably 4). Take devil's sight and either improved pact weapon or armor of shadows for invocations and Darkness and Armor of Agathys for a couple spells. If you don't take the armor of shadows invocation, get studded leather.

Good luck

CTurbo
2018-04-26, 01:48 AM
A Firbolg Bladelock using Str weapons is about as far from "optimized" as you can get. You'll pretty much need Str, Dex, Con, and Cha to pull this off.

With point buy, you can get 14 Str, 14 Dex, 14 Con, 8 Int, 11 Wis, 14 Cha or 16 Str, 14 Dex, 12 Con, 8 Int, 10 Wis, 14 Cha

Your AC and spell DC is going to be low. You'll probably want to bump Str, Dex, and Cha with all 5 of your ASIs.

This doesn't mean that this character can't be fun. I love a suboptimal class/race mix.

Platypusbill
2018-04-26, 02:24 AM
If you don't mind multiclassing, dip Nature Cleric at some point (or any other Cleric domain with heavy armour, if you find them appropriate). Unlike Fighter/Paladin, you don't need to start with it to gain heavy armour proficiency. That way, you can at least get good AC without needing to invest in Dex.

Stats: Str 15+1 Dex 8 Con 13 Int 8 Wis 12+2 Cha 15

Bump Con and Cha with your first ASI. If needed, use mostly spells that lack saving throws/attack rolls to make up for your lowish Cha.