PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder pathfinder crafting question

huginn
2018-04-26, 08:18 AM
I am trying pathfinder for the first time and have a crafting question
The DM is big in storytelling and roleplaying and wants everyone to take 1 crafting skill. I was looking at how long it takes to make arrows
If I take 10 my skill check is 16(1 from rank 2 from stat and 3 from being trained) which is higher then arrows DC of 12 and arrows cost 1 gold
So 12*16/price of arrows in silver pieces is 19.2. If I use check daily progress I get 1.92

Correct me if I am wrong but this system is the same as used in 3.x and in 3.x a week is 10 days but 7 days in pathfinder. After seeing the numbers I remember Forgotten Realms used a 10 ten week

going by this
"If the result × the DC equals double or triple the price of the item in silver pieces, then you’ve completed the task in one-half or one-third of the time. Other multiples of the DC reduce the time in the same manner."
Isn't faster to always use weekly check then daily check?

I realize that the crafting system is broken and is there a better system out there?

unseenmage
2018-04-26, 12:43 PM
PF does have these alternate crafting rules (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/alternate-crafting-rules/) which our group has used to great effect.

iceifur
2018-04-27, 11:42 AM
Using the aforementioned crafting system (which is from Pathfinder Unchained and can also be found on the PRD (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/unchained/skillsAndOptions/craftingAndProfession.html)), crafting a quiver of arrows would be a Normal (DC 15) task, with a base progress rate of 2 gp per day.

Since a quiver of arrows has a cost of 3 gp, you must spend 7 sp, 5 cp for materials (1/4 the cost of the item), and every two days of work will net you one quiver of arrows. If you want to extrapolate it further (and make the math neater), you could spend 1 gp, 5 sp, and 3 days of worth of crafting to create 6 gp worth of arrows (40 arrows).

huginn
2018-04-28, 02:48 AM
Using the aforementioned crafting system (which is from Pathfinder Unchained and can also be found on the PRD (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/unchained/skillsAndOptions/craftingAndProfession.html)), crafting a quiver of arrows would be a Normal (DC 15) task, with a base progress rate of 2 gp per day.

Since a quiver of arrows has a cost of 3 gp, you must spend 7 sp, 5 cp for materials (1/4 the cost of the item), and every two days of work will net you one quiver of arrows. If you want to extrapolate it further (and make the math neater), you could spend 1 gp, 5 sp, and 3 days of worth of crafting to create 6 gp worth of arrows (40 arrows).

Is there a reason why arrows have the same DC as a longbow? According to players handbook 20 arrows cost 1gp so where are you getting 3 gp

iceifur
2018-04-28, 11:20 PM
Is there a reason why arrows have the same DC as a longbow?

Arrows aren't listed in the Unchained chart, and have the same Craft DC as a longbow in the normal crafting system (see the chart in the Craft skill description). Feel free to pick a different DC, if you like.

According to players handbook 20 arrows cost 1gp so where are you getting 3 gp

And that's what I get for going with my off-the-top-of-my-head memories (doh... 20 arrows weigh 3 lb). Makes the math even easier, then.

DC 15 Craft check, 2 gp worth of arrows (40 arrows) per day, with a components cost of 1/4 the market price (5 sp total for 40 arrows).